In need of a *slight* help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In need of a *slight* help

Post by Guest on Mon 5 Jan 2009 - 9:35

OK, so my new school term is starting and since we are coming to the last line of our rope, we started discussing about college and university. Some were going to Todai, some were going abroad, and there are others who achieved amazingly in their IB score to get accepted to Harvard, Berkley, and Oxford.

Now, I'm the average-low type and usually get the 4-6 range out of 7. 6 being the more 'rare', while 4-5 are rather common. 3 is also...something unwanted but pops up now and then.

I assume that the majority of you know that I have a girlfriend. Well, Nacht-sen knew about it anyway and I did tell some of you guys but anyway...on to the 'problem'.

OK, here's the thing. We were discussing about college and uni with the group of friends I am with as usual and when it gets to the point where she was asked, she replied she want to go to a uni or college the same as I am. Well, the 'woot' came after and soon enough, I discuss it with her during lunchbreak.

You see, the problem here is I DON'T want her to end up in the same college as I am. I'm most possibly going to Green river Community College in Seattle thanks to my average-low grade. She, on the other hand, is the renowned president of the student council and a 6-7 achiever in IB.

I have to admit she is way smarter than I am and I swear I could not count how many times she could outwit me in debates and argument. This is where the problem starts.

So anyway. You see, she could get herself into a better university; her sister's in Australia in-a-uni-I-don't-remember, and she did told me she might go there as a consideration. She CAN go to a better uni than I am, and yet she is insisting to go to Green River. Now that, I am happy for it, but I want to see her going to a much-much better university.

Since I am outwitted by her (again), I need help on what or how to say to her that she should deserve better and go to a uni of her choosing (not with me, I mean). Please? I do not want to bet the main cause of her to plunge into the same level as I am!

Back to top Go down

Re: In need of a *slight* help

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 5 Jan 2009 - 11:56

What kind of career does she want to pursue?

She could apply for the University of Washington. It's within 50km of Green River Community College so you could live together and the UW is a solid university.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Mon 5 Jan 2009 - 12:00; edited 1 time in total

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10900

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by destroyer on Mon 5 Jan 2009 - 11:57

i suggest you 1 suggestion. if you don't want her to attend the same university as yours, then attend the same university as her. what i mean here is at her level. i don't know how long do you have time left, but if it's quite long, then you should study so your grade may, at least slightly lower than hers.

by doing this, you'll get several advantages in 1 shot.
1. she get what she wants, go to the same university with you
2. you don't take her opportunity and make yourself a new one instead.
3. it'll show her how far you can go for her, that you're willing to sacrifice yourself for her.

in order to get this, again assuming you have enough time left, don't let your pride forbid to get help from her. study together with her to raise your grade.

if it's possible, face it. judging from your words, you're in the beginning of the term, so you have at least 1 whole year to catch up.

you'll get our (at least my) supports and prayers. Godspeed.

ps: if this fail (but it takes 1 year to find out), then maybe someone else here may have another and better suggestion. maybe it's best t try it out first and persuade her as the last resort. at least with this, you show her how much you care and tell her indirectly that Green River is not her place to go.

pps: i don't know anything about Green River University.

currently Kojika and TWGOK freaks. including GsG to lol.
destroyer

Male

Forum Posts : 238

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : none

Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by TTIO on Mon 5 Jan 2009 - 12:19

Well at the end of the day, you want her to go to a better university for more-or-less the same reason she wants to go to uni with you. The only difference is that with your method, she'll get better marks and you two will be seperated.

However, if you can, I would suggest you try to find two universities near to each other that will be ok for both of you (as Kiskaloo said). I have no ideas about universities (I'm just applying for Oxford, Cambridge and a few others - no need for special requirements or any moving country Wink ), so I can't give you any other specific examples, but ask around if UW doesn't suit her. You'll probably find something.

The Eagle

He clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in lonely lands,
Ring'd with the azure world, he stands.

The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;
He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls.

Alfred Tennyson - 1851
TTIO
CEO of Cheese Pie Inc.

Male

Forum Posts : 1111

Fan of : Triela!

Original Characters : Keetha & Alcide

Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 5 Jan 2009 - 12:27

If she wants to major in Business, Seattle University has a solid program, as well. The UW also offers "branch campuses" in Bothell (closer to GRCC then the main university) if she either can't get into the main campus or wants to be closer to you.

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakura on Mon 5 Jan 2009 - 23:46

Somehow this reminds me of Tomoya and Tomoyo from Clannad. Only difference is Tomoyo was one year younger (student council president)

Setting that aside...

The bigger question I see is if she does plan to go to the same community college as you, where do you plan to go after? Do note that a community college is not a university. It's normally used as a step for transferring to a university. You also spend 2-3 years in a community college. Then where do you go?

She can still go to the same community college as you and then go to a much better university. Nothing wrong with going to community college first instead of straight to a university. And as Kiskaloo has mentioned, U of Washington is a good school in the area if she wanted to go to a university instead.

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie
"You treacherous bitch!" -rustyspring (After I pwned him)
Sakura
Dr. Turtle Punter

Female

Forum Posts : 472

Fan of : Penguins, Pancake Bunny

Comments : Likes penguins, flop-eared bunnies, punting turtles, and kicking pigeons

Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 5 Jan 2009 - 23:49

Yup. Many people in Washington use two years of community college to then transfer to a formal university (UW or WSU) to complete their degree.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Tue 6 Jan 2009 - 0:01; edited 1 time in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SnowDream on Mon 5 Jan 2009 - 23:56

However the schools with more reputations (Ivys et al.) will not be as accepting of community college though, which is unfortunate since they still hold onto a very elitist view. Anyhow, I don't see what's wrong with apply anyway -- It's just a $80 one time fee, and if you work really hard on your admission essay and try to take the SAT, the SATII again, and find an easier faculty (non-biology >.< oh the sardin can), you can probably have a OK chance of getting in.

The only other recommendation I would give is to try Cornell. It's prestigious but still large enough that most people have a chance at getting in. Of course, hoteliering at Cornell is going to be a challenge. If you focus all your efforts on the essay, they might ignore your lower GPA.

EDIT: As an addendum, if she is applying to a graduate school after her undergrad degree, having a full-scholarship is somewhat helpful. Therefore, if she applies to a less well known university and get a full scholarship, she might even be better off.
SnowDream

Male

Forum Posts : 67

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Wed 7 Jan 2009 - 2:44

Being apart from each other should rightfully be utter anathema for a couple in love, Panzer. Prior to my marriage, my family and that of my wife did everything they could to keep us apart, including confiscating our mobile phones, cutting our Internet access, grounding us and sending us to different schools - efforts that we had to ferociously and stoically resist to achieve the triumph we savor now. Here, an opportunity to be together practically lands in your lap, and you refuse to accept it?

Dude, cop this chatter, be grateful for the fact that your woman wants to stick to you like glue, and happily accept it.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring on Wed 7 Jan 2009 - 3:27

I have to agree somewhat with some opinions. Long distance relationships do not work (at least not for long, pun not intended). They just don't, those that do...well then it was clearly "meant to be" because odds are against you HEAVILY when separated by large distances. I know there are exceptions, but the general consensus amongst the dating community is that it could possibly put more strain than manageable on a relationship.

Face it, humans are possessive animals. The mind likes to play "what-ifs" a lot, and nothing will cause sour feelings more than "What if he/she finds someone else while I'm not there." Even the most understanding people get jealous (IMO, if you wouldn't get jealous, you wouldn't be in love.)

That said, colleges perhaps an hour or two apart, no problem. Being apart to the point where you cannot just feasibly get in a car/bus to go see them then...well I've already stated my opinion.

Hopefully you manage to find a course of action that works out. This is a situation that almost all high school relationships go through during graduation. Wink

"Do you know what Jesus said in John chapter 5? Don't bring me any trouble, bitch." - Eda, Black Lagoon
"Anybody can be cool...but awesome takes practice." - Lorraine Peterson
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by destroyer on Wed 7 Jan 2009 - 9:51

wew, i totally forget about the major. but yeah, there should be a Uni where will be fit to both of you, a great reputation for your girl friend major, and an average reputation for your major.

you haven't mention about the major yet. it seems kiskaloo know about university and college. you can ask for his recommendation.

but, i still stick to my suggestion above

Last edited by destroyer on Wed 7 Jan 2009 - 9:52; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong words)
destroyer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 8 Jan 2009 - 11:25

I received my answer yesterday and...

...well...thinking of the idea of going to her university...and looking at my grade I have to say 'scratch that'.

I'm in my last year and my grade is far from the requirement. I haven't even done my SAT and--to be honest--I am rather reluctant to do so. I heard how frustratingly hard it is.

On major, she's taking art major so her dream university is an art university. I'm going for communications major.

Dude, cop this chatter, be grateful for the fact that your woman wants to stick to you like glue, and happily accept it.

To be very-very honest I am very-very happy that she wants to go to the same college as I do. But I do care for her and I wish to see the best out of her. I mean, she drop her dream university just to stick with me? Considering her achievements, its all like a total waste. And to be honest, I kinda' feel like a jack-ass if I say 'ok' to her. Also, our parents weren't against us going together; I've met theirs, so its like we're ok but still...

urgh, I don't know x_x

I'll just wait and see what comes up I guess...

Back to top Go down

Post by destroyer on Fri 9 Jan 2009 - 11:26

lol. try to make up some plan. art and communication. nice combination. i'll stick with mine. try to raise your grade (if possible). but a separate univ at the same region will be a good choise as well. you both can still live at the same apartment for example. relax and think over about it. i'm pretty sure you'll get the answer in anyway.

currently Kojika and TWGOK freaks. including GsG to lol.
destroyer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 28 Feb 2009 - 16:57

Yeah, this is an old news but...

...after a few months of thinking, working and stressing out in my last year of IB...

I will be the one who'll go to her university. Apparently she's going after MelU after her first choice was...rejected. She plans on going to Australia instead on July to Melbourne University. That's one thing.

The good news is, the university takes IB predicted grades. For media & communication, it accepts the score of 33. My score is 30, so I CAN push myself a little harder to get that 33+.

Wow...my prayers were answered. Well, God works in mysterious ways and I thank him for that!

Well, anyway, now my question then seems to be: what branch does political science/theory belong to? Now I'm kinda' juggling whether I should jump in communications in journalism or head out to political science/theory. If I choos politics, what branch is that part of?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 28 Feb 2009 - 17:12

I don't know how it works in IB. One of my majors at Princeton was International Relations and that was taught by the Department of Politics.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile on Sun 1 Mar 2009 - 2:52

well what im curious about here is why are both of u trying to go to a US college, there are probably colleges in the asain region where u can both go to

Photobucket
Just cause I'm dead, doesn't mean I can't be your Loli Fantasy!
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Forum Posts : 1747

Fan of : Triela, Elsa, Enrica & Henrietta

Original Characters : Lance Kane/Raphael, Ella, Mina & Brandon, Sophia & Wesley, Anica & Andrew, Rio de Sica, Marionette

Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Mar 2009 - 4:12

well what im curious about here is why are both of u trying to go to a US college

Me? I'm just trying to get out and see the world. Her? Better education.

Well, she is attempting to go to Ivy league unis...although that didn't happen. I'm planning to go to the US to get a green card then join the US marine or army (if possible) to get myself into the UN Peacekeeping force. Besides, I like to interact with different people coming from different cultural background Very Happy

...now we end up trying to go to an Australian university ^^

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile on Sun 1 Mar 2009 - 4:16

Panzer IV wrote:
well what im curious about here is why are both of u trying to go to a US college

Me? I'm just trying to get out and see the world. Her? Better education.

Well, she is attempting to go to Ivy league unis...although that didn't happen. I'm planning to go to the US to get a green card then join the US marine or army (if possible) to get myself into the UN Peacekeeping force. Besides, I like to interact with different people coming from different cultural background Very Happy

...now we end up trying to go to an Australian university ^^

that's what i mean, u don't need to go to the US to see the world, someplace closer to home would make it easier for decisions i suppose

Photobucket
Just cause I'm dead, doesn't mean I can't be your Loli Fantasy!
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Forum Posts : 1747

Fan of : Triela, Elsa, Enrica & Henrietta

Original Characters : Lance Kane/Raphael, Ella, Mina & Brandon, Sophia & Wesley, Anica & Andrew, Rio de Sica, Marionette

Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 1 Mar 2009 - 11:16

And Australia tends to follow the US' lead when it comes to military engagements (Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq) so joining the Royal Australian Navy should put you in a position to see the world either as part of a UN or US-led combat mission.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum