Filling in the blanks...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Filling in the blanks...

Post by Piero on Sun 15 Feb 2009 - 2:17

I was having a chat discussion recently in which it was noted that sharpshooter training might be more or less something taught to just about every GSG (at least among the first gens). Given the high level of marksmanship training among them, this doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. So with that in mind, what do you think the first gens that we haven't seen in a sniper/sharpshooter role would use for the task?

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Filling in the blanks...

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 15 Feb 2009 - 12:05

Chiara and Silvia both carry rifles to Venice and the enemy is up on the belltower, so they might be present to lend their sharpshooting talents (assuming they are first gens) with those weapons.

I expect Beatrice has the icy calm necessary to be an effective sharpshooter, which may explain her presence on that mission, as well. Since they use IMI products, by default she'd be stuck with the Galil if they stayed with IMI.

We do know the Sako TRG is part of their armory, along with the Walther WA2000. They also have a Hecate II and possibly a Barrett M82/M107. I imagine they also have an HK PSG1 stashed away, somewhere. I am of the opinion rather then each girl getting their own personal sniper rifle, the SWA armory has a few options and they are assigned to a fratello when needed for a mission.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sun 15 Feb 2009 - 16:47; edited 2 times in total

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sun 15 Feb 2009 - 15:23

In the anime, Henrietta took down the Police chief with her FN-90, which is not a sniper weapon! And from the choice or weaponry used in that episode, Luaro had to have used Elsa in the sniper role many times.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 15 Feb 2009 - 16:32

ElfenMagix wrote:In the anime, Henrietta took down the Police chief with her FN-90, which is not a sniper weapon! And from the choice or weaponry used in that episode, Luaro had to have used Elsa in the sniper role many times.

Henrietta is actually using the Walther WA2000 police sniper rifle and she shoots him after he is already down from Giuseppe's shot.

Elsa brought a PGM Hecate II, but they didn't use it (since it is an anti-material rifle and not a sniper weapon). Lauro tells her to put it next to her "SiG", which is the weapon she (well, Giuseppe) uses since the Hecate II is right next to it.

However, it looks like the animators had that rifle change types a few times. Once it looked like a Sako TRG. Then it looked like an M40. And finally it looked like an assault rifle with a special stock. Once Giuseppe takes over, it does not change and we get some clear shots of it, and it is an SG-550 Sniper Rifle.

So maybe the animators worked on this scene over a period of time and changed the rifle as they animated it and they just patched it all together rather then re-animate it properly with one rifle.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sun 15 Feb 2009 - 23:47; edited 1 time in total

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sun 15 Feb 2009 - 19:38

Kiskaloo wrote:
ElfenMagix wrote:In the anime, Henrietta took down the Police chief with her FN-90, which is not a sniper weapon! And from the choice or weaponry used in that episode, Luaro had to have used Elsa in the sniper role many times.

Henrietta is actually using the Walther WA2000 police sniper rifle and she shoots him after he is already down from Giuseppe's shot.

Actually....
You're right. I had to freeze and step through the frames to see what gun she was firing.
Remember- you have to exceuse me for my poor vision here.
At least I'm not driving like I used too... NYS will put anyone on the road!

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 16 Feb 2009 - 0:00

If Beatrice is using a IMI rifle, I guess that would mean the Galatz variant of the Galil, unless she was using Tavors and used the sharpshooting version of that. Which, like Rico's Dragunov, is a quite accurate weapon -but not in comparison to some of the other sniper rifles that are available. On the plus side, the thing has a folding stock, which could be useful when it needs to be stowed, as well as the ability to take some rather large capacity magazines (which could come in handy if one ended up needing to use a sniper rifle as a defensive weapon at shorter ranges).

Wonder if Beatrice would be a Galil user in general, or more the type to go for a Tavor. I'd actually had her kind of pegged as an AR user when she ended up as a character in my RPG, but that's not really canonically supported.

Angie's AUG is often seen with scopes that looks like they could be used for sharpshooting, though the only time she uses an AUG configured with a heavy barrel and bipod she seems to be using the stock AUG 1.5x for some reason. Course, heavy barrel and bipod can also mean an AUG configured for use as a light machine gun, so...

We haven't seen Triela sharpshoot either, have we?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 16 Feb 2009 - 1:27

Nope, Triela hasn't been a sharpshooter anywhere we've seen. The closest she's got to that is when she mounted some scope-like thing on her UMP in Volume One.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 16 Feb 2009 - 1:40

That was probably a red dot sight. Which isn't really a sniping tool (though I have heard of unmagnified Eotech holosights being used on sharpshooting weapons).

Personally if Triela was using a rifle, I can kind of see a G3-SG/1 (though I often felt the G3A3 in the anime was a poor choice, and I hate to think that a weapon I selected for a major OC of mine overlaps with a canon character like that)), a PSG-1 (kind of on the large and heavy side though, or a SiG SSG 3000 (which is a bolt gun).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Mon 16 Feb 2009 - 11:27

Folding stocks are not necessary a plus.
Snipering is not a job, its an art, where the sniper takes long hard training to pick off dime sized targets from 1000 yards way. In order to do this, the sniper must be able to be one with his weapon, know its limitations and understand how it interacts with the environment.

Rico is not snipering at the sense of Sniping targets. She has always been less than 100 yards away from her intended target. At that range you can hit anything with any firearm (long or short) put into your hands.

In the anime, however, when Jose/Henrietta and Luaro/Elsa went after the police chief, that was Sniping Action in its truest sense.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 16 Feb 2009 - 14:32

Depends on the design of the folding stock. Accuracy International and SAKO offer them on their rifles and they're considered industry leaders. The stock on the Galatz prior to the SW99 version doesn't look that advanced though. (Though it definitely looks quite different from the wire frame stocks on assault rifle versions of the Galil.)

I kind of suspect Rico is trained to sharpshoot, as that Dragunov of hers would just not make sense otherwise. And yes, that's despite the fact that the Dragunov was originally designed more as a designated marksman's rifle then a sniper rifle (the thing was more or less designed to allow Soviet infantry squads to have a weapon that could reach out farther then their standard assault rifles).

Also, I think precision more then range is the determinate of whether soming that qualifies as sniping. Most police sniper shots are taken at under 100 meters. I don't consider the first scene of GSG all that realistic, but I consider it notable that Rico managed two headshots through gaps in a damaged window blind. They were admitedely not particularly small gaps, but still...

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top