So does this make me a loser?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: So does this make me a loser?

Post by LoC978 on Sat 11 Apr 2009 - 15:03

Panzer IV wrote:I mean, seriously, if the meaning of going to prom is to just show off your GF/BF, then what's the point? Does it 'make it an official couple' or something? No. What about your friends? Seriously, I don't know about how Western cultures work, but if the only point on going to prom is just for some stupid GF/BF fashion show, then its nothing more than an ego-build up when originally its supposed to be the last time you'll be spending your time and enjoy yourself with the rest of your year level.
Glad we could help you understand one of the most seriously fucked-up things about our culture. You just outlined some of the general reasons why people with analytical minds tend to avoid their prom over here... it sorta hearkens back to some Harvey Danger lyrics...

LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Forum Posts : 2628

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 11 Apr 2009 - 15:15

KodokuRyuu wrote:I thought the focus of a prom was dancing and socializing. Am I wrong? I never went to a public school so I really don't know that much on the subject.
The focus of the prom is a final good-bye party of friends and classmates, as you gradaute from high school to enter college or the work force. It is a farewell to child/teen hood: No more Homework, No more Books! No More Teacher's Dirty Looks!

But life goes on and as many think and do, that friendships do not really end after high school, why need a prom? It is a goodbye to a place up until then you just spent 1/4 of your life in... thats what a prom is for... and if certain idiots give you hell from that place- it is when and where you put them in theirs.

That is how I see it.

But again, being a loser about not going? Dont even go there. Being a loser is when you spend 6 years in high school, getting high and not ever graduating from school. You now then have amounted to nothing more than a dreg of society, and a scab on the face of humanity...

ElfenMagix

Forum Posts : 5682

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 12 Apr 2009 - 13:15

Glad we could help you understand one of the most seriously fucked-up
things about our culture. You just outlined some of the general reasons
why people with analytical minds tend to avoid their prom over here...

I can't blame them, mostly. I guess it was already too rooted anyway...

But yeah, now I see. Thanks...

But again, being a loser about not going? Dont even go there. Being a
loser is when you spend 6 years in high school, getting high and not
ever graduating from school.
Being a loser in prom is for those who don't see the true purpose of it and is incapable of valuing one of life's lessons: friendship.

Coming there with a date doesn't mean he/she is not a loser. Oh, believe me, I think they're actually one of the dumb-nuts if they decide to just go there, get drunk, and get laid.

...by the way, there won't be any alcohol in my prom...good thing, I guess...?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherubino on Sun 12 Apr 2009 - 16:49

The focus of the prom is a final good-bye party of friends and classmates, as you gradaute from high school to enter college or the work force. It is a farewell to child/teen hood: No more Homework, No more Books! No More Teacher's Dirty Looks!

But life goes on and as many think and do, that friendships do not really end after high school, why need a prom? It is a goodbye to a place up until then you just spent 1/4 of your life in... thats what a prom is for... and if certain idiots give you hell from that place- it is when and where you put them in theirs.

That is how I see it.

But again, being a loser about not going? Dont even go there. Being a loser is when you spend 6 years in high school, getting high and not ever graduating from school. You now then have amounted to nothing more than a dreg of society, and a scab on the face of humanity...
You're the first person here to actually make sense to me Elfen. I guess you're right. Oh, and nice Alice Cooper reference! Smile

Being a loser in prom is for those who don't see the true purpose of it and is incapable of valuing one of life's lessons: friendship.
No. Prom is not about your friends. It's about what you wear, where you go and who you're with. Sorry. That's what prom here is about.

Cherubino

Forum Posts : 457

Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuke is Good on Mon 13 Apr 2009 - 12:19

Cherubino wrote:
No. Prom is not about your friends. It's about what you wear, where you go and who you're with. Sorry. That's what prom here is about.

That's sadly the truth here in my area.

Nuke is Good

Forum Posts : 326

Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 13 Apr 2009 - 12:20

No. Prom is not about your friends. It's about what you wear, where you
go and who you're with. Sorry. That's what prom here is about.

Well, different culture I guess. Sorry if I offended you Cheru-san.

But from listening to how it is over there, despite having the thought of how you should just 'go' to the prom just to make your presence, now if its more of a fashion show and a showing off of GF/BF thing, then I say I can't agree less with the rest of those who said 'don't go'.

Well, as I said, if its just for the said above, its a waste of time.

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Mon 13 Apr 2009 - 12:47

Cherubino wrote:

The theme of the prom was that way here too.

The only time I went to prom was with a couple lesbian friends in my sophomore year. They kept bugging me for two weeks straight to go with them as their 'muscle', and damn it all for female persistence.

Truth be told we went for WTF value. They wore evening dresses with converse hightops and little bell-balls(I forget their official name at the moment) in the shoelaces. I did the same with my tux(guys HAD to wear a tux, stupid dress code), and fashioned cufflinks out of said bells.

Then they took me to this senior's only afterparty(did I mention they were senior's), and I fell in love with it. I drank too much

He drank too much SHUT UP KEANU REEVES

, I got too high, I stayed too long; but after all that's why they call it a party.

Even though many LOLZ were had, after all was said and done it left a bitter taste in my mouth. To this day, I can't understand how expressing individuality could ellicit behavior from what is slightly off center from the contemporary. So for the following two years I skipped the prom and went to the afterparty.

And that is what I reccomend you do Rubi. Put that sexy dress over your sexy body, get yourself looking like the Russian Queen you KNOW you are and drink too much, get too high, and stay too long.

Rubi's royal party brigade= dancin\\' cheers dancin\\' dancin\\' Bong hit dancin\\' dancin\\' dancin\\' drinkin' dancin\\' Cheers! dancin\\' Good viking

boomer_gonz

Forum Posts : 2561

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 13 Apr 2009 - 13:17

boomer_gonz wrote:"I drank too much...I got too high, I stayed too long; but after all that's why they call it a party."

God I miss Sam Kinison...

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10896

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherubino on Mon 13 Apr 2009 - 21:13

Nuke is Good wrote:
Cherubino wrote:

That's sadly the truth here in my area.
Dude, it's a universal truth.

And thanks for the encouragement Boom Boom.

I admit, my mind has been made up now. I'm afraid it has nothing to do with what anyone has said to me here, thought I do appreciate the good or bad will you all presented.

I am not going to my prom after all. Nor the after party. I am unable to afford it. The last bit of my money went toward playing my registration for college. I am pissed though. I already bought a dress thinking that my friends would go, we would have things planned, and that my family wouldn't be skipping food shopping trips just to survive. We all get along in life somehow... I guess that I will make up for not going to prom by having a sucker marry me and have a nice party then. Hehehe. But honestly, I wouldn't put more than $500 down on my prom or a wedding anyway lol.

Thanks anyway guys... =/

Cherubino

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Mon 13 Apr 2009 - 22:01

Cherubino wrote:I am not going to my prom after all. Nor the after party. I am unable to afford it. The last bit of my money went toward playing my registration for college.
That's a good decision - college is way more important than any party. Sometimes you just gotta do what you must to get by though. I'm glad to know you're choosing to invest in your education over other things - you will be glad you did in the future, even if you're disappointed now that you had to miss out.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 13 Apr 2009 - 22:02

KodokuRyuu wrote:That's a good decision - college is way more important than any party.

Especially since college is itself one four-year long party. Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherubino on Tue 14 Apr 2009 - 20:56

That's a good decision - college is way more important than any party. Sometimes you just gotta do what you must to get by though. I'm glad to know you're choosing to invest in your education over other things - you will be glad you did in the future, even if you're disappointed now that you had to miss out.
Yeah I guess you're right. I don't think I'm missing out on much other than a really expensive party that I won't even have fun at lol. I am just pissed that I bought a dress and now I can't return it. I just hope that I can wear it to a performance or something.

Oh and Kisk... It better be....

I've pretty much come to the realization that I'm white trash. I'm ok with that though. Very Happy
Cherubino

Female

Fan of : Opera, Gun sports, antique guns, Final Fantasy

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 15 Apr 2009 - 1:06

Kiskaloo wrote:
KodokuRyuu wrote:That's a good decision - college is way more important than any party.
Especially since college is itself one four-year long party. Cheers!
Not for engineering students! Razz

Cherubino wrote:I am just pissed that I bought a dress and now I can't return it. I just hope that I can wear it to a performance or something.
If you can't return it, could you sell it to someone else? Or at the very least, it never hurts to dress up every once in a while. A dean at my school taught me a valuable piece of information once: it never hurts to be overdressed. If you're underdressed you can look like a slob/looser, but if you're overdressed you look like you're the cool person.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Wed 15 Apr 2009 - 1:06

Don't sell the dress. It could come in handy later.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherubino on Wed 15 Apr 2009 - 18:16

KodokuRyuu wrote:If you can't return it, could you sell it to someone else? Or at the very least, it never hurts to dress up every once in a while. A dean at my school taught me a valuable piece of information once: it never hurts to be overdressed. If you're underdressed you can look like a slob/looser, but if you're overdressed you look like you're the cool person.
I suppose I could but not to anyone that I know here.
And about being overdressed, it doesn't hurt to be over dressed but in a gown? C'mon there are times where being over dressed is dumb too. Men can just wear suits and that always looks proper. Women wearing a gown to a golf game looks dumb.

Nachtsider wrote:Don't sell the dress. It could come in handy later.
I figure it could be. I might as well keep it. Wear it to a recital some day or something...

I've pretty much come to the realization that I'm white trash. I'm ok with that though. Very Happy
Cherubino

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 16 Apr 2009 - 12:44

Here's an interesting thing...

My prom is taking place in June 6 this year, so its after the May Final Exam and right near graduation.

Apparently, during our voting of what location should we take, the majority of the bourgeois populace has voted into something...which totalled to about...

120.000 per person...

At that moment I go 'WTF!? That's almost as expensive as 1 Marui Airsoft...or what's close to it anyway'. Apparently 'western-oriented-prom-culture' exists here as well about
the most dressed bastard and the best fucking entrance anyone could
make, showing off their GF/BF as 'dolls' for show. And I was like 'I
thought prom was all about the get togetherness we experienced at retreat...'

Now today, the good thing is, our history teacher Fuyumi-sensei managed to rally the majority of the students into discussing this topic after she heard about some of the more glamorous girls' comments about an expensive prom.

So, currently and eventually, we've decided to held the prom in school instead (which with food catering and decorations would totaled to about 10.000 yen per person. Waaay cheaper) to have this last get-together AND, as an addition, we get to decorate our own prom and with permission from parents we get to have an 'all year 12 school sleepover' sort of a thing (which is optional. But it will be really cool to have the entire year 12 sleeping in the gym).

Thus, with that, it actually eliminates the Prom after-party, alcohol and other idiotic things which has potential on ending up inside our inventory by the end of prom. And guess what? Fuyumi-sensei mentioned that we are actually the first in the school to break the stupid 'dress-up-fancy-get-drunk-and-get-laid-prom' culture in our school...Laughing

...But that's how we'll have our prom. Now its just up to the teacher to stop anyone making out in the middle of the dance Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 16 Apr 2009 - 13:15

Panzer IV wrote:Thus, with that, it actually eliminates the Prom after-party, alcohol and other idiotic things which has potential on ending up inside our inventory by the end of prom. And guess what? Fuyumi-sensei mentioned that we are actually the first in the school to break the stupid 'dress-up-fancy-get-drunk-and-get-laid-prom' culture in our school...Laughing

You have my sincerest and deepest condolences. Razz

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 16 Apr 2009 - 13:21

You have my sincerest and deepest condolences.

Condolences? That's actually the best thing that could ever happen in prom! I mean, out of all things it brought out the meaning of what its supposed to be rather than going through the usual bourgeois-oriented 'me-as-the-center-of-the-universe' type of shit! Its really like the last get together we'll experience Very Happy

...and besides, it is memorable since there is no alcohol involved and you can be sure you will remember what happen there :p

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Thu 16 Apr 2009 - 15:54

Cherubino wrote:And about being overdressed, it doesn't hurt to be over dressed but in a gown? C'mon there are times where being over dressed is dumb too. Men can just wear suits and that always looks proper. Women wearing a gown to a golf game looks dumb.
Point taken. I guess I forget how flamboyant girls' clothing be get (I have no sisters and have never been to a dance). sweat And it's not like I'm saying a guy could wear a tux to the gym either, but yeah, I see your point.

Panzer IV wrote:I mean, out of all things it brought out the meaning of what its supposed to be rather than going through the usual bourgeois-oriented 'me-as-the-center-of-the-universe' type of shit! Its really like the last get together we'll experience Very Happy
I'm pretty certain that was supposed to be the meaning of the prom - not a last experiance, but a show off time. It did originate from the old European balls after all.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Thu 16 Apr 2009 - 16:06

In Australia, a debutante ball is often part of the high school system. The Australian debutante ball is usually optional and only for those students, both male and female, who wish to take part. Both males and females are included because the ball symbolizes the debut of the soon to graduate high school student into the young adult world. Traditionally, the girl asks the boy to the debutante ball and dinner and speeches and ballroom dancing are all features of the evening.

In Ireland, debutante balls are often quite similar to high school proms in the United States. The debutante ball is a school function and students either go with formal dates or with an informal group of friends. It is customary for either a boy to ask s girl to the ball or a girl to ask a boy. Students often travel by limousine for the occasion. Ballroom dancing is often available, but is traditionally not considered a mandatory activity at an Irish debutante ball.

In England, the history of the debutante ball centers around ceremonies that involved the debutante having to wear certain clothing such as a feather head dress. Traditionally, English debutantes were introduced by former debutantes, often the mothers if they had had a coming out, or else a mother-in-law introducing her son's new wife. Quite often though, a debutante was a young woman ready to look for a husband. Queen Elizabeth II sanctioned court ceremonies for debutantes and began the English practice of more social introductions in the form of a debutante ball. Read More[/url]

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherubino on Thu 16 Apr 2009 - 23:05

KodokuRyuu wrote:
Cherubino wrote:And about being overdressed, it doesn't hurt to be over dressed but in a gown? C'mon there are times where being over dressed is dumb too. Men can just wear suits and that always looks proper. Women wearing a gown to a golf game looks dumb.
Point taken. I guess I forget how flamboyant girls' clothing be get (I have no sisters and have never been to a dance). sweat And it's not like I'm saying a guy could wear a tux to the gym either, but yeah, I see your point.

Panzer IV wrote:I mean, out of all things it brought out the meaning of what its supposed to be rather than going through the usual bourgeois-oriented 'me-as-the-center-of-the-universe' type of shit! Its really like the last get together we'll experience Very Happy
I'm pretty certain that was supposed to be the meaning of the prom - not a last experiance, but a show off time. It did originate from the old European balls after all.
lol Kodoku, you really have never been to a dance? And have no sisters? Me neither, but I have a mom and Triela and they're all I need. Anyway, I must rant at someone for this and you are it. Women's dresses are also SO specific as compared to mens suits to the point that NOW it is stupid for a girl to wear a long full gown... HOW DUMB IS THAT??? *sigh* And I am sure that there will be girls wearing dresses that hardly cover their cracks....

And thats interesting Awi!

Cherubino

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Fri 17 Apr 2009 - 0:17

Cherubino wrote:lol Kodoku, you really have never been to a dance?
Nope, I was homeschooled. Razz I know how to swing dance though, I've just never enjoyed dancing so I haven't gone to dances.

Cherubino wrote:Anyway, I must rant at someone for this and you are it. Women's dresses are also SO specific as compared to mens suits to the point that NOW it is stupid for a girl to wear a long full gown... HOW DUMB IS THAT???
Wow, I had no idea. What's with constant changes in girls' fasion? Is it just so they can get more of your money?
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 17 Apr 2009 - 0:27

KodokuRyuu wrote:
Cherubino wrote:Anyway, I must rant at someone for this and you are it. Women's dresses are also SO specific as compared to mens suits to the point that NOW it is stupid for a girl to wear a long full gown... HOW DUMB IS THAT???

Wow, I had no idea. What's with constant changes in girls' fashion? Is it just so they can get more of your money?

That's what Michele thinks every time Kara comes back from shopping with a bill into four figures... Wink

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Fri 17 Apr 2009 - 18:30

Cherubino wrote:Women wearing a gown to a golf game looks dumb.
Ok, I just had this image randomly pop into my head of you wearing a super-fufu dress on a golf field. It was priceless. Laughing
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 17 Apr 2009 - 18:40

KodokuRyuu wrote:
Cherubino wrote:Women wearing a gown to a golf game looks dumb.
Ok, I just had this image randomly pop into my head of you wearing a super-fufu dress on a golf field. It was priceless. Laughing

Caddyshack III: The Revenge of Che Rubino

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherubino on Fri 17 Apr 2009 - 20:29

Nope, I was homeschooled. I know how to swing dance though, I've just never enjoyed dancing so I haven't gone to dances.
I didn't know you were home schooled. That explains a few... I mean! You're a great guy. Jk I know people who are home schooled and they are just fine lol. I like to poke fun though.
Wow, I had no idea. What's with constant changes in girls' fasion? Is it just so they can get more of your money?
Well, in our society yes. It's capitalism and it's evil teachings promote anything to get a profit. Some get fat from the excess spending. Some start drowning. Holier-than-thou
Ok, I just had this image randomly pop into my head of you wearing a super-fufu dress on a golf field. It was priceless.
No way may... Even if I did play golf, I would never wear fru fru dresses. I wear only sexy dresses. Speaking of which I need one for an audition. Hmm...

Cherubino

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top