Reflex Increase

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reflex Increase

Post by Guest on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 3:32

It's mentioned in the anime that the girls' nervous system has fiber optic cable integrated into it. (Alright, Fermei mentions the girls having fiber optic cable inside them, but he doesn't say what it's for. Since the girls do have faster reaction times, I assumed that it was a neurological enhancement.) My question is, would that really boost their reflexes after a certain point? There's only so much the human brain can keep up with. Picosecond-speed reflexes won't help if the brain can't go faster than microsecond-speed processing.

Back to top Go down

Re: Reflex Increase

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 3:56

That's fairly easy. Their brains have probably been tweaked with, as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 4:23

well the fiber optics could probably just there to let them be actually be able to use their new implants, given that the agency still can't regenerate neurons

Photobucket
Just cause I'm dead, doesn't mean I can't be your Loli Fantasy!
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Forum Posts : 1747

Fan of : Triela, Elsa, Enrica & Henrietta

Original Characters : Lance Kane/Raphael, Ella, Mina & Brandon, Sophia & Wesley, Anica & Andrew, Rio de Sica, Marionette

Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 9:15

Increased reflex? Increased brain processing capability? Easy. They're on meth. Bong hit

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 9:38

Graywolf's meth joke aside, that line of reasoning does make sense, in light of the fact that the conditioning (a drug regimen) has been described as something required for a cyborg to function optimally.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 12:21

A light dose of phencyclidine for pain tolerance and a few amphetamines to speed up their processes. Not beyond the realm of possibility for some of their conditioning injections.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 12:28

the only use i could think of for using fibre optics would be in the Optical system,switching back and forth between light and electricity seems unnecessarily complicated for use in their muscles

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 12:30

Nachtsider wrote:Graywolf's meth joke aside, that line of reasoning does make sense, in light of the fact that the conditioning (a drug regimen) has been described as something required for a cyborg to function optimally.

I wasn't joking. Really. Evil Here's something from Wikipedia. The meth effects are quite interesting actually.

Effects of Methamphetamine
Main short and long term adverse physical and mental effects that may appear in methamphetamine use.

Physical effects can include anorexia, hyperactivity, dilated pupils, flushing, restlessness, dry mouth, headache, tachycardia, bradycardia, tachypnea, hypertension, hypotension, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, diarrhea, constipation, blurred vision, aphasia, dizziness, twitches, insomnia, numbness, palpitations, arrhythmias, tremors, dry and/or itchy skin, acne, pallor, and with chronic and/or high dosages, convulsions, heart attack, stroke and death can occur.

Psychological effects can include euphoria, anxiety, increased libido, increased self-awareness, increased alertness, increased concentration, increased energy, increased self-esteem, increased self-confidence, increased excitation, increased orgasmic intensity, increased sociability, increased irritability, increased aggression, psychomotor agitation, hubris, excessive feelings of power and/or superiority, repetitive and/or obsessive behaviors, paranoia, and with chronic and/or high doses, amphetamine psychosis can occur.

Withdrawal is characterized by excessive sleeping, eating, and major depression, often accompanied by anxiety and drug-craving.

Last edited by graywolf202 on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 12:37; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 12:31

Awinnell wrote:the only use i could think of for using fibre optics would be in the Optical system,switching back and forth between light and electricity seems unnecessarily complicated for use in their muscles

I agree. Chemical transfer is already extremely quick and you would need to add in systems to convert the thoughts of the brain into light signals and then back into electrical impulses to activate the muscles. The time delays those systems add likely negates any advantages of the faster transmission speeds the fiber-optics entail.

What would be interesting is if the girl's artificial eyes used fiber-optic transmission shunts to allow what they see to be "beamed" back to a base station, using the girls kind of like "manned ground observation units".

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 12:31

I agree with Nacht.

I plan on elaborating later, but Alpha's unique abilities are due to a very real anomaly where his brain was put in a fight or flight dilemma. The long-term effects of prolonged stress exposure are well documented.

The way I have it, the med staff use a combination of technology and medication to duplicate the effect.

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2561

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 12:48

Just a thought on the fiber optics thing for signal transfer, they're immune to EMP which may be good in some, albeit very special, situations.

However, what's really bothersome about fiber optics is their bending radius. The problem becomes a bit more trickier when putting that in a small, always-moving/bending body.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 12:53

They're speshul fiber optic cables with hyper-flexibility, maybe?

I don't know about the girls being immune to EMPs. We've seen several images depicting the insides of their limbs and what-not, which revealed some very machine-looking stuff that included circuitry - heck, they're described as CYBORGS, which means cybernetic stuff has been built into them. I've theorized that an EMP blast could be catastrophic, in that it could knock out their cyber implants and leave them severely incapacitated.

Consider the state that some of the cyborgs were in prior to their reconstruction - let's take Rico as an example. At present, the cyber implants are practically the only thing keeping her on her feet. Disable those implants with an EMP surge, and... you get the picture. Rico would be left in a condition not very different from how she had been during her early years, at least until she can be repaired.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 13:23

In the first-gen girls, I noticed that their movements were more forceful rather than fluid. Function over fashion and such, but this may be a result of the fiber-optics built into their nervous system.

Although Petra( Guh? ) being the exception to the rule, this may be because of her 'corner cut' construction as we assume will become standard with second-gen operatives.

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2561

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 21:36

J the Drafter wrote:It's mentioned in the anime that the girls' nervous system has fiber optic cable integrated into it. (Alright, Fermei mentions the girls having fiber optic cable inside them, but he doesn't say what it's for. Since the girls do have faster reaction times, I assumed that it was a neurological enhancement.) My question is, would that really boost their reflexes after a certain point?
In owning the DVDs and the scanlated DIVx files, and asoften as I seen it, I have never heard of this...

Anyways...

In my OC (Fernando) has a natural Hyperconductive Nueral Conduit, which was bred into him from his father (and his daughter {Not Rachel, that is for a future story} also has), and his father before him and so on until about 800 Century Spain, where his family experimented with Human Eugentics to create a powerful, stronger and long lasting Knight. They got it, as well as other issues which are known the Royal Spanish Family and their Protectorates (6th fingers/toes, small tail, Mental issues, Shorter Life Span, etc...). Of this experimenting, they got a nervous system infused with Silver along with the Potasium/Sodium Nueral Matrix, creating a live electrical conduit within the person. Nerve impluses travel at 150ft/sec in a normal person, but somebody with this hyper nervous system, its speed is at the speed of light travelling through a solid (which is the speed of electricity, which is about 1/2 C).

Was it worth it?

According to the Spanish Royal Family it is. According to Fernando, "Poke me one more time with that needle, and you'll need a colonoscopy to get it removed from your body- doc!"

Fernando has the hyperfast reflexes, the quick thinking, and headaches. Heachaches when things get too overwhelming, and his nueral system starts to cascade.

In the cyborg girl's cases- they would require an electrical/nueral interface, which takes signals to/from the brain and to/from the rest of the cybernetics. Past the electrical interface, they would have hyperfast reflexes. Into the Nueral interface, things slow down, and must be buffered or else they will get overwhelmed like Fernando does (and you wonder why he likes his naps?). As I gather, Alpha is built in a simillar fashion but with different technologies. The girl's brains also have to get accustomed too the new interfaces and speed which their limbs go, or else you will see them breaking glasses of water when they reach for them during meal time! This is where the girls have to be trained to get used to their new bodies.

To speed up the brain, there are a few drugs out there (including Angel Dust and Cocaine) that can do this. But they would burn out a brain in a short amount of time (we're speaking months here). This can not happen if you want a fully funtioning girl on the field lasting past her first missions! But for Fernando, "Coffee is the Drink Of The Gods!" Now you know why.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 30 Apr 2009 - 21:47

ElfenMagix wrote:
J the Drafter wrote:It's mentioned in the anime that the girls' nervous system has fiber optic cable integrated into it. (Alright, Fermei mentions the girls having fiber optic cable inside them, but he doesn't say what it's for. Since the girls do have faster reaction times, I assumed that it was a neurological enhancement.) My question is, would that really boost their reflexes after a certain point?
In owning the DVDs and the scanlated DIVx files, and as often as I seen it, I have never heard of this...

I have to admit the same, but then I also have to note I didn't notice Elizabetta's cameo in -Il Teatrino-, so...

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sun 3 May 2009 - 21:06

graywolf202 wrote:Just a thought on the fiber optics thing for signal transfer, they're immune to EMP which may be good in some, albeit very special, situations.

However, what's really bothersome about fiber optics is their bending radius. The problem becomes a bit more trickier when putting that in a small, always-moving/bending body.
Actually, the electronics that converts the nerve impluses to optical signals and back to nerve impluses are not immune to EMPs. Thus, the girls are screwed if an EMP is denotated with them within its radius. The issue if fiberoptics bending, is just a minor issue, and a nausence at best; they would have figured something out for them.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum