What type of clothing does your OC operative use?.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What type of clothing does your OC operative use?.

Post by Guest on Fri 10 Jul 2009 - 20:17

I really wanted to know what the OC operatives use since most posts here are about the handlers.

Max uses leather jackets when not on missions, buisness suits when on normal missions and all-tactical-gear when on missions that require rappeling or high adrenaline feats.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Tue 30 Aug 2011 - 13:16; edited 6 times in total

Back to top Go down

Re: What type of clothing does your OC operative use?.

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 10 Jul 2009 - 20:19

It depends on the mission, but in general Kara is a fan of skirts and boots, regardless of the weather. Something like Rukia is wearing below would not look out of place on her.

On a true "combat" mission, she wears full tactical gear. No rappelling down a mountain in ballerina flats for her. NO

I've posted various possible outfits in my OC Outfit Thread.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 22:05; edited 3 times in total

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 10 Jul 2009 - 20:27

Kiskaloo wrote:It depends on the mission, but in general Kara is a fan of skirts and boots, regardless of the weather. Something like Rukia is wearing in my sig block would not look out of place on her.

On a true "combat" mission, she wears full tactical gear. No rappelling down a mountain in ballerina flats. NO

I've posted various possible outfits in my OC Outfit Thread.

I have been reding your fics (at random) and I do see Kara is 100% on fation aint she Very Happy ?. Also your handler is well...too good to be a handler its almost impresive to see such a good person as an agency agent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 10 Jul 2009 - 20:46

Yes, Kara always looks good. Damn good. On Cloud 9

As for Michele, yes he is in over his head with Section 2. He's not really cut out for the life and he's more focused on trying to protect Kara from what he feels are the horrors of her job. But to Kara, those horrors really aren't something she thinks about since she's conditioned to ignore the morality and ethics of what she does - something Michele, unfortunately, is not as fortunate. So in the end, she's the one who protects his sanity.

That being said, my fiction is really more just using the Gunslinger Girl universe as a backdrop than it is actually "Gunslinger Girl fiction". So my current story will probably be one of the last, at least for a time.

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 10 Jul 2009 - 21:01

Kiskaloo wrote:Yes, Kara always looks good. Damn good. On Cloud 9

As for Michele, yes he is in over his head with Section 2. He's not really cut out for the life and he's more focused on trying to protect Kara from what he feels are the horrors of her job. But to Kara, those horrors really aren't something she thinks about since she's conditioned to ignore the morality and ethics of what she does - something Michele, unfortunately, is not as fortunate. So in the end, she's the one who protects his sanity.

That being said, my fiction is really more just using the Gunslinger Girl universe as a backdrop than it is actually "Gunslinger Girl fiction". So my current story will probably be one of the last, at least for a time.

I get you and I do get Michele too. I wanted to make an "all star cast" GSG fic but I have way too many OC characters from other writers and too much work to do. Maybe later I might ask you if I could use Kara and Michele for my stoy...kinda went off course with this sorry Razz .

Oh how do I put a pic here anyways?.

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring on Fri 7 Aug 2009 - 14:55

I say all female assassins/hit(wo)man/ne'er-do-wells must wear these, labeled as "The New Hotness" Razz :

These are real (apparently.) The Tactical Corset :dance: A mixture of "highly fashionable leather and the latest in load bearing equipment." They're awesome looking, in a completely hideous way. NO

"Do you know what Jesus said in John chapter 5? Don't bring me any trouble, bitch." - Eda, Black Lagoon
"Anybody can be cool...but awesome takes practice." - Lorraine Peterson
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 7 Aug 2009 - 15:03

rusty-spring wrote:I say all female assassins/hit(wo)man/ne'er-do-wells must wear these, labeled as "The New Hotness" Razz :

These are real (apparently.) The Tactical Corset :dance: A mixture of "highly fashionable leather and the latest in load bearing equipment." They're awesome looking, in a completely hideous way. NO

Would your OC wear such thing? its kinda kinky,...in a good way/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 7 Aug 2009 - 16:27

rusty-spring wrote:I say all female assassins/hit(wo)man/ne'er-do-wells must wear these, labeled as "The New Hotness" Razz

Kara - "Not I think, today." NO

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Fri 7 Aug 2009 - 20:17

Everything for my OCs is explained in the OCWiki.
In short, there is at least 1 bullet resistant layer on all of them. Sometimes- 3, Max 5.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 7 Aug 2009 - 23:36

ElfenMagix wrote:Everything for my OCs is explained in the OCWiki.
In short, there is at least 1 bullet resistant layer on all of them. Sometimes- 3, Max 5.

Yea I have seen it but remmember the most it will stop is a low powerd .357 Mag round nothing else so dont try to stop anything hotter than that.

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 8 Aug 2009 - 12:04

My OCs are not going to expect to get hit with anything no larger than a 9mm, because that is what most villians will be carrying out in public. And as for rifles and machine guns like the AR-15 and others, 2 layers is more than enough to stop that.

Some protection is better than no protection, and when you buy a bullet proof vest- you do not go out and buy the cheapest thing!

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 9 Aug 2009 - 0:07

ElfenMagix wrote:My OCs are not going to expect to get hit with anything no larger than a 9mm, because that is what most villians will be carrying out in public. And as for rifles and machine guns like the AR-15 and others, 2 layers is more than enough to stop that.

Some protection is better than no protection, and when you buy a bullet proof vest- you do not go out and buy the cheapest thing!

Well I really dont think it will stop .223 though, its just not designed to do so. Max is only somewhat bullet-proof in his head (cranium) so he wears vests too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 9 Aug 2009 - 11:20

The SWA has significantly more advanced bullet-resistant materials than are currently in use. They use a CFRP-based armor which is capable of stopping pistol rounds cold and appears to absorb high-velocity rifle rounds well enough to prevent significant internal injury.

So I figure that this CFRP can be woven like Teflon into a very capable ballistic material. Michele wears one about the thickness of a wool t-shirt between a cotton t-shirt and his dress-shirt and it can easily stop a pistol round. Additional woven layers will stop heavier rounds, like 5.56x45mm NATO.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sun 9 Aug 2009 - 20:05; edited 1 time in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sun 9 Aug 2009 - 18:40

Resent anime fan wrote:
ElfenMagix wrote:My OCs are not going to expect to get hit with anything no larger than a 9mm, because that is what most villians will be carrying out in public. And as for rifles and machine guns like the AR-15 and others, 2 layers is more than enough to stop that.

Well I really dont think it will stop .223 though, its just not designed to do so. Max is only somewhat bullet-proof in his head (cranium) so he wears vests too.
All of the cyborgs are bullet proof at the skulls, and the First Gens are bullet Resistant elsewhere on their bodies- to an extent.

But as I was saying- Fernando has protection in layers:
Bullet Resistant T-shirts: Good against hand guns.
Bullet Resistant Polo-shirts and heavy t-shirts/sweat shirts: Good against hand guns
Bullet Resistant Shirts: Good against hand guns up to large calibers.
Bullet Resistant Suit Jackets: Good against light rifles and small shotguns.
Bullet Resistant Trench and Winter Coats: Good against large caliber rifles and shotguns or shotguns w/slugs.

Now, my OCs, especially Fernando, wears layers- 2 minimum, sometimes 3, 5 max. 2 is enough to stop typical NATO rounds, plus all handguns. This is typical of what any villain would be carrying in the streets. Shoot Fernando, and you'll just piss him off. 3 Layers is enough to stop mostly anything one can get off the street or specialized forces would carry.

Of course, there are exposed areas, like his head, and parts of his arms and legs not covered by the protection, but most villains are too stupid to think past- "I shot him, he's down, he's dead... next!", only to have Fernando sit up and return the favor with a shot to the back of their heads.

Added to this, in the heavier layers, Fernando added layers of Sorbethane- between the layers of bullet resistance materials. Sorbethane is an impact absorbing material, added to the bullet resistance layers makes a very effect armor- one which he wont be able to feel when getting hit. In short- Fernando knows that you can not be a stupid grunt on the field of battle, the one who can defeat attacks and return attacks of his own is the one who is going to live to fight another day, and end up with a reputation of many First World War Aces when all is said and done.

While you are at it, study: Miguel Cabellero of South America The site is Flash heavy, but very informative.

Kisk- I agree, CFRP w/Teflon woven in would be a kick ass combination.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sdp2501 on Fri 3 Jun 2011 - 17:56

Ryu wears an assassins creed style coat includeing hidden blades and fingerless gloves. Kiyra would wear jeans with half a dozen pockets, drop dead hoodie and a band t shirt.

---/\---
---\/--- If You
---[]--- Support METAL
---[]--- add the GUITAR to your
--/[]\-- page
-/._. \-
/_/ \_\
sdp2501

Forum Posts : 132

Fan of : Rico, Gunslinger girl, Slpiknot, Asking Alexandria, Killswitch Engage, SUICIDE SILENCE, canibal corpse, buttered toffie popcorn XD, Xbox 360

Original Characters : Kiyra, Ryu

Comments : I will drag you. To oblivion, even if I must die.

Registration date : 2010-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 17:02

Well, I don't think it's any real secret that Jethro and Monty generally look like they've just stepped out of a Connery-era Bond flick:

(old illustration, but it serves the purpose as a sort of "typical arrangement")

No bullet resistant layers here I'm afraid... though to be fair their propensity for getting shot at is somewhat less than the average fratello as well.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5754

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 17:39

No high-tech kit for my pair either (unless they're fulfilling their primary dive tasking). Elio ranges from business casual (a polo shirt & slacks) to professional (a full suit).

The "mission clothing" he buys for Marisa resemble what he remembers 11 year old girls wearing when he was a lad that age in Liverpool, 1961. Yeah, he's kind of clueless in that respect.

The scene I wrote last night has Mari concerned about jumping from the roof of the Hotel Boscolo Aleph to the BNL Bank next door...wearing a skirt.

I saw a werewolf drinking a Piña Colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3422

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosKin640 on Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 19:36

Marisa? In a skirt?! Good Lord, what did Elio have to bribe her with to pull that one off?
ChaosKin640

Male

Forum Posts : 417

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire & Alessandro

Original Characters : Jacob, Sophia, Melanie, Costante, Nina, Enzo and Lucretia

Registration date : 2010-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer on Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 20:18

Marisa prefers skirts - trousers are "Rico wear".

PASSION LIVES HERE
Prose Stories
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 20:24

ChaosKin640 wrote:Marisa? In a skirt?! Good Lord, what did Elio have to bribe her with to pull that one off?
Perhaps I'm shattering your mental image but it's actually her overwhelming perference.

As tomboyish as she is, Marisa thinks she can still be ladylike & demure. As I've said before she's the type to leave her room at the beginning of the day well turned out in a skirt or dress...then climb a tree at earliest opportunity.
Cargo shorts & rugby shirts make up Mari's casual & workout wear. She has a marked distain for long trousers ("Rico-wear") and will only wear them willingly when she gets to ride pillion on the back of Elio's Ducati.

Drawings of her are here.

Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 on Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 20:28

Well, most of my fratelli wear normal civilian clothing, adding special mission gear only when necessary. That said, the exceptions to this rule are the Gilberts and the Fitzgibbonses(?).

For the Gilberts, handler Nathan generally wears either a suit with a concealed Miguel Caballero vest under his suit shirt, or goes more for the 'contractor' look, with a Miguel Caballero Polo under a 5.11 Safari-style tactical vest with matching tactical pants and ankle-cut boots.

As for Erina, she has a penchant for athletic clothing-- usually Under Armour-branded-- that gives her more freedom of movement by not getting in the way, so her solo-mission gear generally has her dressing sort of like a cat burglar. However, these implements are generally modified with bullet-resistant aramid fibers like Twaron and Kevlar.

Meanwhile, what makes the Fitzgibbons fratello different is that they're pretty much the only fratello who spends the majority of their time in military-issue uniforms. Jennifer spends most of her time in a flight suit, while Kyo and Ryo perform most of their missions (generally centered around sniping and reconnaisance) in camouflage-patterned BDUs appropriate for the environment they operate in, as well as the all-important 'ghillie suit' designed to further break up their outlines and help them blend with the environment. Camouflage facepaint is also part of their standard mission kit.

I aim to misbehave.

MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosKin640 on Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 21:01

Ah yes, I stand corrected. My mistake. I don't know what made me think that Marisa hated skirts. I feel horribly silly now.
ChaosKin640

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 21:22

ChaosKin640 wrote:
Ah yes, I stand corrected. My mistake. I don't know what made me think that Marisa hated skirts. I feel horribly silly now.
Well it is supposed to be confusing and a little bit ridiculous. Kids are weird and cyborgs are even weirder.

Unrelated note; this thread is nearly two years old...can't anyone fix the spelling of "type" in the title?

Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 21:40

Professor Voodoo wrote:Unrelated note; this thread is nearly two years old...can't anyone fix the spelling of "type" in the title?
Please. That is driving me up the wall.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Wed 8 Jun 2011 - 0:55

Fernando looks like a professional businessman or Mafia Hitman depending on who is looking at him. At minimum he is in pants and long sleeve shirt. The cane and dark glasses only add to his guise.

Francesca has slowly evolved into a business attire like Ferro, if you can imagine that. Blame it on Juanita who also dresses in the same why. They do have jeans and casuals but the SWA wants professional looking ppl. Razz

Rachel (still) goes by the usual school uniform look even if its not a school uniform, but in gym depending on how hot or cold it is, she is either in sweats or shorts and a t-shirt that is crying for help. If she has to do laps or training outside, she's usually in sweats unless its too hot of a summer day. When she was shot by Jean in Solution's Resolution paint ball game, she was in sweats. She does have other things to wear and will wear them accordingly.

As for fixing the title, it was not me.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Wed 8 Jun 2011 - 3:23

Whenever Britney goes to Milan on her famous shopping excursions, she’s like a kid in a candy store, and it’s not at all unusual for her to spend as king’s ransom on designer clothes. Since there’s just not enough room for it all at the Agency, the bulk goes to Biff’s place for storage (an entire room is stacked to the ceiling with clothes), which is fine, but what really bugs him is the fact that she hasn’t even worn half of what she’s bought – and probably never will.

“I don’t hate him specifically, it’s the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.”
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Wed 8 Jun 2011 - 11:41

I just figure Britney, Petrushka and Kara took over one of the spare wings of the dormitory for "overflow closet space". Smile

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosKin640 on Wed 8 Jun 2011 - 12:35

Petra: Excuse me, Chief Lorenzo, sir, but we the cyborgs have taken a vote and we've decided that, since none of us really have to exercise like normal people and our handlers can all use normal public or military facilities, then there's no point in the compound having its own gym. So I present to you a petition to have the gym converted to a grand, two-story walk-in closet.
ChaosKin640

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Wed 8 Jun 2011 - 16:49

ChaosKin640 wrote:Petra: Excuse me, Chief Lorenzo, sir, but we the cyborgs have taken a vote and we've decided that, since none of us really have to exercise like normal people and our handlers can all use normal public or military facilities, then there's no point in the compound having its own gym. So I present to you a petition to have the gym converted to a grand, two-story walk-in closet.
Monty: (who, living out of a car, considers this whole argument to fall under the heading of "not my problem") Personally, I think in the interests of facilitaing rapid deployment and minimum time to readiness of Italian based fratelli, all cyborg wardrobes should be restricted to one small hanging closet and a foot locker. Some overflow may be allowed for mission specific wear if said clothing is approved by the SWA.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosKin640 on Wed 8 Jun 2011 - 21:39

Alfisti wrote:
ChaosKin640 wrote:Petra: Excuse me, Chief Lorenzo, sir, but we the cyborgs have taken a vote and we've decided that, since none of us really have to exercise like normal people and our handlers can all use normal public or military facilities, then there's no point in the compound having its own gym. So I present to you a petition to have the gym converted to a grand, two-story walk-in closet.
Monty: (who, living out of a car, considers this whole argument to fall under the heading of "not my problem") Personally, I think in the interests of facilitaing rapid deployment and minimum time to readiness of Italian based fratelli, all cyborg wardrobes should be restricted to one small hanging closet and a foot locker. Some overflow may be allowed for mission specific wear if said clothing is approved by the SWA.
Petra:
Kara:
Britney:

Kara: Excuse me Nina, but I'm afraid we're going to need to borrow a few of your toys for a few hours. We have a public lynching to organize.

Nina: *sigh* Fine, but you better make sure to oil the leather before you give it back to me. That kangaroo-hide bullwhip was a bitch to import and if it dries out and cracks then I'll be taking some of those "toys" to your hide.
ChaosKin640

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Thu 9 Jun 2011 - 2:24

Alfisti wrote:Monty: (who, living out of a car, considers this whole argument to fall under the heading of "not my problem") Personally, I think in the interests of facilitaing rapid deployment and minimum time to readiness of Italian based fratelli, all cyborg wardrobes should be restricted to one small hanging closet and a foot locker. Some overflow may be allowed for mission specific wear if said clothing is approved by the SWA.
Kara: Ladies, I believe a blanket party is in order.

Petra: Excellent suggestion.

Britney: I plan on putting my bar of soap in a €500 Versace scarf. Let’s see how she likes them apples!

“I don’t hate him specifically, it’s the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.”
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Thu 9 Jun 2011 - 2:43

Wow, I wonder if Monty's aware of the impending danger!
(will Jethro also consider this development: 'not my problem', or whisk her away before things get ugly) Razz
Helen wears a simple dress most times unless the particular mission calls for something else. Salvatore has about as much interest in his charge's wardrobe habits as Lauro cares for Elsa's desire to start a conversation.
Olga, Ferro, or some other adult may help her from time to time and perhaps a cyborg may occasionally (if the coast is clear = 'tore is not in the vicinity) offer advice. (Helen appreciates any input)
As for my other fratello Ayden/Gunther, I don't really know. Those two are still being molded in my mind, so to speak. I know where I want to go with them, but the fine details such as these are not rock-solid yet.
edit: Kiskaloo wrote: 'I just figure Britney, Petrushka and Kara took over one of the spare wings of the dormitory for "overflow closet space". Smile'
I can just imagine the younger agents also having fun running around, hiding and such in a place that big with rows and rows of clothes! cheers ROTFL
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1969

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 9 Jun 2011 - 2:49

tremec6speed wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:
I just figure Britney, Petrushka and Kara took over one of the spare wings of the dormitory for "overflow closet space". Smile

I can just imagine the younger agents also having fun running around, hiding and such in a place that big with rows and rows of clothes! cheers

Jean: "What are you all doing in the wardrobe?"

Girls: "You wouldn't believe us if we told you, sir."

Jean: "Try me."

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 9 Jun 2011 - 2:58

tremec6speed wrote:Wow, I wonder if Monty's aware of the impending danger!
Always, she has afterall, never exactly been the most popular cyborg in the agency...

Danjo3 wrote:Kara: Ladies, I believe a blanket party is in order.

Petra: Excellent suggestion.

Britney: I plan on putting my bar of soap in a €500 Versace scarf. Let’s see how she likes them apples!
Monty: You know girls, my next port of call is Cambodia: heat, humidity, snakes, spiders, fetid jungle... and, sometimes in these little out of the way countries, The Guv and I find side issues that we are just too busy to handle. Fortunately, if we deem them important enough, we can request other fratelli to deal with those jobs instead... Just saying.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Thu 9 Jun 2011 - 14:59

Alfisti wrote:
tremec6speed wrote:Wow, I wonder if Monty's aware of the impending danger!
Always, she has afterall, never exactly been the most popular cyborg in the agency...
Despite (or perhaps because of) her efforts to be anti-social Monty does seem to be rather popular with her sister-cyborgs (perhaps they've never met her). Maybe her prolonged absences just make her a compound celebrity when she does drop in.

Jay: (not technically a "sister") Monty got to hike in the Cambodian jungle?! Aww man!

Emilie: Monty got to work in Bruges over Christmas?! (a shameless reference to my own story) Why didn't we get that mission, Eti?

Dusty: Monty gets to steal from a casino?! Lucky bitch!

Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaschanist on Thu 9 Jun 2011 - 15:17

Professor Voodoo wrote:
Emilie: Monty got to work in Bruges over Christmas?! (a shameless reference to my own story) Why didn't we get that mission, Eti?
Nice one, Voodoo. Good
But i think it should had been told more like this: "Monty got to work in Bruges over Christmas? And we haven't seen her there, Père Etienne!"
Schaschanist

Male

Forum Posts : 786

Fan of : Henrietta,Triela and Claes; Hydrangea

Original Characters : Etienne & Emilie or "Eti & Emi"

Comments : Emilie Valerie De Laroque, a 13 years old dark and gloomy part-french girl from Belgium, with excellent manners and a slight french accent...

Registration date : 2010-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 9 Jun 2011 - 20:53

schaschanist wrote:Emilie: "Monty got to work in Bruges over Christmas? And we haven't seen her there, Père Etienne!"
Monty: With good reason too; I've already had to put up with one cyborg this season, dealing with a second would definately be more than what the SWA pays me for.

Jethro: Technically the SWA doesn't pay you anything.

Monty: Exactly.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Tue 30 Aug 2011 - 12:46

Hmm... I've always thought of armor technology in Gunslinger Girl as fairly normal. They can armor a cyborg because they have an entire body to work with, but armor around a person as simple garments aren't as easy.

That said, a nice thin, comfortable dress shirt isn't going to stop bullets, no matter what it's made of. Sorry. Even if the shirt stops the bullet, it's going to be so thin the round is going to tent the shirt and basically hit you at full velocity, breaking bones and crushing internal organs. That's why body armor is actually very thick, to offer not only ballistic protection but plenty of blunt trauma protection.

Bulletproof "shirts" and jackets are much thicker than they look. They often only cover the most sparse of vital organs too, using partial panels of aramid fiber to cover the core organs instead of trying to cover the whole, like a vest.

Most body armor comes with a "trauma" plate. A steel or polymer "backstop" to take the brunt of that nasty impact. That said... shoot someone wearing a kevlar vest with a 1 oz shotgun slug? They're almost certainly dead from crushed organs.

To stop anything higher than handgun rounds, you need a ceramic plate. Which, rather than disperse the energy of rounds hitting material, actually shatter the bullet from the hardness of material. This is the only current way to stop a 5.56x45mm or 7.62x51mm with individual body armor.

A 5.56mm round doesn't sound like much. Pistol-grade bulletproof glass will stop 55 grn 5.56. But take, 62 grn ammo, maybe even tungsten-core green tip, and your rounds will turn into the hellish equivalent of a laser beam. They will cut through some types of ceramic plate, car doors, any type of soft armor, helmets. It's more effective than 7.62x51mm NATO, which packs something like three times the kinetic energy.

I suppose there's been lots of sci-fi alternatives. Woven materials that harden upon impact due to chemical bonds, functioning as a type of flexible ceramic plate or whatnot. In that sense... I suppose it's possible for very lightweight armor to stop a normal, plinker .223 round. I guess that's the beauty of an alternative universe though.

Anyway, sorry to rant on about that. I'll dig up my old OCs and find what I had them working with.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” -Albert Einstein
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of : N/A

Original Characters : N/A

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 30 Aug 2011 - 13:24

I am 100% in agreement with you that current ballistic armoring requires thickly padded weaves and strike plates to safely absorb pistol and rifle rounds.

However, the SWA seems to be working with materials that offer much better ballistic resistance than what is available today. Perhaps they use carbon nanotubes and/or "Buckyballs" to improve performance.

Triela shrugs off 9mm pistol rounds to her arms and she took an assault-rifle round to the gut at point blank-range. It knocked on her ass and left a large blood smear, but she immediately got to her feet and proceeded to high-kick one opponent and clothesline another so it certainly didn't slow her down.

The Land Rovers chasing Sandro, Petra, Rossana and her daughter had CFRP body panels using the same material the SWA has. Petra's machine pistol rounds literally bounced off it, not even scratching the surface.

Maybe a "bullet resistant t-shirt" is a bit far-fetched (though I did note that when Michele is shot, he gets some serious bruising and even cracked bones from the transfer of impact energy through the material), but I do believe that you could significantly reduce the thickness and improve the wearability of ballistic protective clothing using whatever the SWA has access to compared to Kevlar/Aramid.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Tue 30 Aug 2011 - 14:15

Well, like I said, cyborgs can be tougher - their organs are synthetic, their bones are artificial. They can be built from the ground up to maximize our technology's use as armor, incorporating the body's natural momentum, shock absorbers and mechanics.

I'm not sure if the Land Rovers are credible in terms of realistic portrayal. Remember the scene where Rico fires an MG-3 out of the back of the van at the armored sports car? Both that, and the .357 Magnum Desert Eagle one of the staff used to fire at the car didn't even leave a permanent mark on the windshield. That's probably impossible, seeing as even a .22 LR will leave a crater in bullet-proof glass. Manga writers don't always have immediate, reliable resources, so I have to take such portrayals with a grain of salt.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” -Albert Einstein
John_234

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Tue 30 Aug 2011 - 16:24

Random History Buff rambling here...

Using woven fabrics as ballistic protection is nothing new. Genghis Khan's Mongol cavalry wore heavy woven silk shirts under their light armor. Arrows would still penetrate the skin but so would the shirt, and assuming said shirt was clean it reduced the chance of infection. It also made the arrow easier to remove...barbs did not get hooked into the flesh, you simply pulled on the fabric around the wound until the arrow popped out.

Kara: Did you hear that Michele? I'm going to need a whole new silk wardrobe!

Voodoo: Ahem...getting back to the point; I see the cyborg armour working much the same way. When Triela got shot the bullet probably did penetrate her skin but it got caught by a ballistic weave before it could do serious damage to her organs. It obviously hurt...Triela gets the wind knocked out of her meaning energy was still transmitted to her body but her armor protected her from more serious harm.

Areas that don't need to be so flexible (like forearms and the rib-cage) likely have some more rigid plate armor but as for the abdomen I dare say woven fabric is the only option.

Kiskaloo wrote:The Land Rovers chasing Sandro, Petra, Rossana and her daughter had CFRP body panels
John_234 wrote:I'm not sure if the Land Rovers are credible in terms of realistic portrayal.

That's not a Land Rover, it's a BMW X-series.

Kara: Um, can we get back to the topic of that new wardrobe? You know...for safety.

Voodoo: Fucking cyborgs...

Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Tue 30 Aug 2011 - 16:30

Professor Voodoo wrote:
[b]Voodoo:
Fucking cyborgs...

Alessandro: see, now THAT, I can talk about!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1470

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Tue 30 Aug 2011 - 16:58

Well, weave is still inferior to polymers, ceramics and metals in terms of what it's ultimately capable of doing. Like I said, when you're building the entire body, you don't need to limit yourselves to what's comfortable to wear (fabrics) necessarily. Also, I've realized that a nylon-based product would be mostly out of the question due to degenerating and causing blood poisoning issues in the hot, wet environment of the human body.

That said, getting shot in the gut isn't a death sentence. Especially with a 5.56, where it's a rather small, lightweight projectile that can go through-and-through with little damage. So... it isn't entirely clear if the bullet would have killed a normal person but did less to a cyborg, or if it didn't really penetrate, like you said. I don't think a simple concussive blow would lead to nausea, personally... or the smear of blood.

John_234

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Tue 30 Aug 2011 - 22:00

John_234 - I'll give you a name from the Gunslinger Girl OC Wiki: Miguel Cabellero of South America

My OCs get everything from them and are layered with enough protection to stop sniper rifle rounds and shotgun slugs. Between the layers is a sheet of Sorbothane, an energy absorbing material, thus making the ballistic resistance that much more with an added benefit of making one appear to look like superman when hit in the chest with all the rounds from the gun, followed by the thrown empty gun.

As my law enforcement instructor once said, "If you are buying a bullet proof vest, dont buy cheap."

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Tue 30 Aug 2011 - 22:39

Interesting. Has sorbothane been proven in a ballistic usage, specifically to negate trauma from rounds? And will it prevent "pinching" the bullet-resistant material?

John_234

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Wed 31 Aug 2011 - 23:16

Sorbothane is not knitted into the "Kevlar" as some may think. Its layered between the several layers of the bullet resistant material. It works to some extent. Problem is this: you shoot someone and they dont fall, you shoot again, and again and again until you run out of bullets. Despite the protection, they so weaken after each hit until there is no protection at all. Sorbothane is great for impact energy absorption, but like a lot of bullet resistant materials, can be easy cut with a sharp blade or shrapnel. It also does not breathe like woven material of protection devices, so you sweat a lot like a pig in a heated slaughter house in the middle of a heat wave in summer .

Me? After the first chest shot dont take them down , the next shot will be to the ehad.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Wed 31 Aug 2011 - 23:28

Good ol failure drill, eh?

John_234

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Wed 31 Aug 2011 - 23:29

You got that right.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 13:50

On the topic...

John_234

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum