Looking for some OC clothing suggestions...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looking for some OC clothing suggestions...

Post by Piero on Fri 14 Aug 2009 - 18:26

I've been thinking as of late that I really need to work on some of my OC's wardrobe choices. It's an area I've kind of neglected. I've got some OCs who have very few outfits and others where I'm still having issues nailing down their primary outfits (their 'default' outfits so to speak). Laughing

So I was wondering if I could get some suggestions from some of the people on this board.

I'm not going to try to go through all my characters at once, because frankly that would be overwhelming. Instead, I've decided to start with Elisabetta from the Milan RPG.

Elisabetta is a sixteen year old second gen cyborg who has been at the agency for two years (because of this, she looks a couple years younger then she is). She's cute and she knows it. She's also energetic (borderline hyper on occasion), very intelligent, and highly mischievious. Naturally, this leads to her actively cultivating a cutesy image and abusing it for all it's worth (remember, she still looks about fourteen). Laughing

Given those facts, anyone got any suggestions on what I should have her wear?

If it helps, she's about five feet tall, with blue eyes and medium-long brown hair (hoping to do something cutesy with the hair too, actually -I've got some ideas, but they're not entirely concrete).

Also, her handler is a young former Polizia di Stato officer named Sonia who is quite attached to her -but also not entirely blind. I don't think Elisabetta has quite the level of leverage over her handler that say, Henrietta could have over Jose if she really wanted it.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for some OC clothing suggestions...

Post by boomer_gonz on Sat 15 Aug 2009 - 1:32

How about you play up the cuteness with the classic catholic schoolgirl getup. She doesn't seem the fashionista and putting bunny/cat ear's on her would be overkill.

You can even lend Danjo's girl-boys a tease by having the skirt be ultra-short and her blouse be extra tight..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2561

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 15 Aug 2009 - 11:00

Simple baby-doll tee and tight jeans/tiny shorts might work. Add cons or something for effect (on the assmption that sandals or flip-flops would be impractical).

If you really wanted to smash the cute thing hard, you could always try some twee looks, but that doesn't play on the hyper so much.

Flannel shirt-dress belted in at the waist, leggings of some sort and boots might work too.

Hard to tell really, what's her build like? Did you want like classy cute or bright colours cute or looked-good-on-the-manniquin but not on the wearer... Razz
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5752

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 15 Aug 2009 - 12:29

boomer_gonz wrote:How about you play up the cuteness with the classic catholic schoolgirl getup. She doesn't seem the fashionista and putting bunny/cat ear's on her would be overkill.

You can even lend Danjo's girl-boys a tease by having the skirt be ultra-short and her blouse be extra tight..
LOL! That and Panzer's Fredrick OC will be hard enough to poke holes into steel for days to come!

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 15 Aug 2009 - 15:02

Elisabetta's a fairly small girl, definitely not very well developed. Gina, a slightly older second gen who is notorious for hitting on her fellow cyborgs, treats her like a younger sister, if that says anything (though it should be noted that Gina recognises Elisabetta's mischievious streak -it's something they have in common, after all). Basically, for Elisabetta, trying to act like a cute kid works a lot better then trying to go for sex appeal (and she's sharp enough to know that).

I'm definitely going for something quite cutesy here, although there are limits. Anything lacy is out. Laughing Ribbons and ruffles, on the other hand, might not be. She'd probably go for soft colours over glaringly bright.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Sat 15 Aug 2009 - 15:55

Then I'd definitely recommend something like shorts, skirts, and dresses for Elisabetta accented by cute, girly-type blouses and NO t-shirts.

Gina would prolly be better off in something 'borderline', but not risque like semi-tight fitting stuffs that accent her figure when she flirts with her fellow 'borgs.

boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sat 15 Aug 2009 - 18:05

boomer_gonz wrote:You can even lend Danjo's girl-boys a tease by having the skirt be ultra-short and her blouse be extra tight..
Not even I’m that cruel…

…wait a minute, sure I am! Evil

“I don’t hate him specifically, it’s the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.”
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 15 Aug 2009 - 21:25

The stretchability of Spandex, the look and feel of cotton, 2 sizes too small, looks like they were painted on...

Henrietta: Why if there water running down the hallway? Bathroom broken again?
Claes: The drool from the boys section.
Entire Girl wing of the Dorm: EEEEWWWWW!!!!!!

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 15 Aug 2009 - 23:58

Yeah, Boomer's on the right path... though I still reckon pastel printed tees could work... use like a hello kitty print or something =P

Also, as much as I'm not generally huge on the empire waistline it might be worth trying some tops of that style over jeans or leggings. Some sort of knee length pleat-skirt and short cardigan combo might be good as well...
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 16 Aug 2009 - 12:53

Outfits current teen girls wear just scare me with how...bad...they look. It's why if I run Serafina, she's always wearing a private schoolgirl uniform.

I went to dinner at a great Vietnamese restaurant last night and watching all the girls entering and leaving I was like "geh" with their outfits. Then a young adult woman wearing a killer dress and brown leather boots walked by and I was like "Hurray! Kara is here!". Razz

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 16 Aug 2009 - 16:21

I've been having to look up some fashion terminology over here in order to follow this. Laughing

I think one of the big challenges I'me having with Elisabetta is figuring out how to combine different elements so that they work together. I'm hoping I can somehow work out at least one somewhat detailed ensemble for her.

Also, anyone got any suggestions on her hair? I've kind of wanted to do something with ribbons, but I'm open to suggestions, especially since the stuff I've come up with is kind of difficult to explain. Laughing

And of course, I've gotta remember that she's got a pistol to conceal with whatever it is she's wearing, although at least hers is relatively small (Walther P5 Compact, not actually all that tiny but not really particularly large either).

Do people want me to provide some additional details on Gina? I hadn't really planned to discuss her this early, but since she's come up, I could certainly provide some additional stuff on her. I'm a little worried about muddling things by having too many topics under discussion at once though.

Actually, part of my problem with this thread is that I have a lot of OCs. Laughing I wonder if I can actually get through very many of them without overwhelming people.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sun 16 Aug 2009 - 21:06

Kiskaloo wrote:Outfits current teen girls wear just scare me with how...bad...they look. It's why if I run Serafina, she's always wearing a private schoolgirl uniform.
Why do you think I limit my OC: Rachel to School Girl like-Uniforms and proper business dress attire? There is a reason to the madness.

Kiskaloo wrote:I went to dinner at a great Vietnamese restaurant last night and watching all the girls entering and leaving I was like "geh" with their outfits. Then a young adult woman wearing a killer dress and brown leather boots walked by and I was like "Hurray! Kara is here!". Razz
LOL!

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 17 Aug 2009 - 5:01

Ok, I had a very VERY dull day at uni today... I hate mondays, they go for ever and contain my two least favorite units.

Anyway, practical upshot was that in my sketchy meanderings (four pages... probs says something about how much attention I was paying) I got thinking about this thread. Dunno if these are much use to you, but anyway (you'll have to ignore my dodge models, normally if I'm doing outfits properly I'll make up a base in photoshop and just copy it to draw on):

Sometimes it's fun to branch into stuff your own OCs wouldn't wear... larger version is here yeah, I'm using my dA scraps as an image dumping ground for here ^^;

Obviously I didn't think about haircuts (bar the bob-cut thing), and hey: bobs always look cute. I've always been a fan of the boyfriend/pixie cut on girls, but that not so much "cute". Honestly, hair isn't my strong suit =P

Meh, swing us some Gina dets as well.
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 17 Aug 2009 - 14:55

Awesome. The first and third could definitely work as outfits for Elisabetta to wear around the compound, although they look like they'd limit her options for concealed carry to maybe a shoulder rig worn under a jacket. Then again, perhaps that's the best option for her, really.

Fourth outfit looks like it might work for cold weather wear. And if those things below the waistline are pockets like I think they are, it might actually be able to offer a faster draw then her warm weather clothes. Laughing

Second one is the only one I'm a bit unsure on, to tell you the truth nailing down shirt/top and jacket combinations that work for the character is one of the things I've been finding challenging. I'd actually toyed around with the idea of vests, but I'm not sure about those eithers.

No problem on the hairstyle thing, by the way, although I'm hoping maybe someone will have some suggestions.

As for Gina, she's a bit older then Elisabetta, she was sixteen when she became a cyborg, and has been active for about two years. She's about 5'6, with blue eyes and long blonde hair (partly chosen in an effort to keep her distinct from another character). She's a highly skilled sharpshooter, but sort of the antithesis of the 'cold sniper' stereotype, she's actually got a somewhat boisterous personality, and is liable to be the one cracking jokes right before the beginning of a mission (though she tends to be more serious on the actual battlefield itself). She's also has a rather pronounced mischievious streak, and is notorious at the agency for hitting on her fellow cyborgs.

Her handler is Adamo, a former GIS operator in his mid to late twenties. He made a good soldier during his GIS days, but is in over his head when dealing with Gina. To think he actually thought a teenage cyborg would be easier to deal with then a child one... what an idiot. Laughing

Anything Gina wears outside the compound pretty much has to be able to accomadate a shoulder rig, as her P7M13 is a bit on the large side for some other methods. (It's also the only gun used by any of my OC's to have a factory nickel finish -see this picture: http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2648635630104896702RvbUxw )

I actually do have one outfit more or less worked out for Gina, but I'm not sure how well it actually works. Boomer's suggestion on outfits for her is interesting, though I'm not sure how well it would work in the field, and it's certainly a bit different from what I came up with. (What I was thinking was a knee length, pleated black skirt, a white button up shirt, brown boots, and a red leather coat. I'm finding I'm a bit unsure about the outfit though, particularly the last part, so if any of you want to look at it from a completely different angle...)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 17 Aug 2009 - 16:46

Piero wrote:I actually do have one outfit more or less worked out for Gina, but I'm not sure how well it actually works. (What I was thinking was a knee length, pleated black skirt, a white button up shirt, brown boots, and a red leather coat.

Sounds reasonable to me. Claes wore the same general style of outfit on the Geneva mission because she needed to look 14-15 instead of 12 and hiding her legs behind a knee-length skirt and knee-height boots helped cloak her limb length to a casual observer to make it a bit harder to pin down her age based on perceived height.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 10:27

Haha, well to be honest "jacket" and "cute" aren't two words that really mesh well in my head to be honest... everytime I draw a jacket it generally winds up looking masculine and/or tomboy-ish (which is essentially Jesse's fault) sweat

Yeah, those are pockets on the 4th one, I was actually thinking along the lines of one of those hand warming pockets that connects in the middle... to be honest the idea of concealing a gun in there never even crossed my mind sweat

Gina sounds like an interesting character. As to the coat: red leather might work, particularly if it was in a slighly military trench style... I'd be tempted to step it back to a duller red, but then my usual tastes tend to run with neutrals rather than strong colours so that's probs just a personal thing.
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 13:26

Gina and Elisabetta aren't necessarily my favorite characters among my OCs, but they are among the most fun to write. Because the Milan RPG is supposed to be about a new SWA branch facility in the North, my first fratello was a highly experienced 'senior' fratello. But after that, possibly because of the influence of other people's characters, I came up with these two, who are more fun. I originally though three fratellos might be too much for one person, but I ended up going with all of them anyway. Laughing

Anyhow, a longcoat would make Gina look pretty badass, but I think I might stick to something shorter. I'm already worried that the red coat might make her stick out a little much. (Ditto the blonde hair, although then again, there are a fair number of people in that part of Italy that dye their hair blonde.)

And yeah, figuring out how to keep Elisabetta's outfit's 'cute' while making it adequate to conceal her gun is one of the challenges with her character.

I'm wondering if it's best to keep going with the next set of characters or pause here for a bit to see if anyone else wants to chime in. (Actually, I'm also a bit worried about burning people out, as noted I have a lot of characters.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 20 Aug 2009 - 4:20

Haha, yeah... sometimes writing charcters you don't agree with or don't like is far more entertaining than writing those that you do.

I dunno, I always thought that the further north in Italy you went the higher number of people with naturally Arian features you got. Then again that was pretty second-hand info so I could be dead wrong as well sweat I wouldn't be too concerned by the red coat. There's always the flip side of the coin in that all people see is the red coat and not the person wearing it.
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 21 Aug 2009 - 1:26

Oh, I like Elisabetta and Gina well enough, actually. They're just not my favorite OCs overall.

I`m also under the impression that the number of people with blonde hair is higher in the northern part of Italy, but that doesn`t mean it`s a particularly large portion of the population. That being said, supposedly there are a fair number of people who dye their hair blonde in that part of the country as well, so it might not work quite so badly. Laughing

I figure it`s probably still best for Gina to stick with more of a waist length jacket though. As badass as leather trenchcoats are, they might be a little much here. Laughing

Anyone got anything more to say on the current two at this point, or should I put forward a different OC for a bit

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 21 Aug 2009 - 10:13

Haha, I didn't quite mean not liking the character... it's kinda hard to explain. Lemme put it this way: I've got Jesse as one of my OCs. Now I like Jesse, if I met her in real life I'd like her. She's basically my funnel through which to complain and vent about the world in general, tell funny stories etc. However, Jesse also has a friend, Amy. Now though I like Amy as a character, if I met her in real life I probably wouldn't like her. Either that or I'd do as Jesse does and be friendly but in the back of my mind decide that she's a fucking moron...

...which makes Amy a whole lot of fun to write/draw. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

Yeah, a full length trench might be overdoing it, but something in a similar style but maybe about mid-thigh? That might be ok. That said, short jackets are comfortable and practical (my everyday jacket's a short leather that I bought for driving), don't bunch up when you sit and let you shove your hands in your pockets. My three longer jackets I have to take off to drive, especially in the Alfetta which still has an "Italian Ape" driving position.
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Fri 21 Aug 2009 - 10:18

Piero wrote:Oh, I like Elisabetta and Gina well enough, actually. They're just not my favorite OCs overall.
I think you said that on more than one occassion on this thread...

Anyways. dont you have girls in your school or look at? Or a mall to hang out and study?
Arms concealment is in two parts- 1 the actual concealling of the weapon and 2 the attitude of the one walking about concealling weapon.

Reguardless of what you may think- #1 is very easy to do. There might be some limitaions on some things, but... look, if Henrietta can hide a SiG in her waist band of her skirt, so can your OCs.

The second is harder to do because its all based on psychology. As a private investigator once said, "If you are carrying a concealled weapon and you have a nervous, angry or excited deemor about yourself, you and your weapon will be spotted. If you carry yourself as normally as you can, not paying attention to your weapon or how you look (is there a bulge, etc...?), then you wont be spotted and your weapon will be unseen." It is in the second that in the movies so many people get away with carrying a small arsenal of weapons under their layers of clothing.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Fri 21 Aug 2009 - 11:42

ElfenMagix wrote:
Piero wrote:Oh, I like Elisabetta and Gina well enough, actually. They're just not my favorite OCs overall.

Anyways. dont you have girls in your school or look at? Or a mall to hang out and study?
Arms concealment is in two parts- 1 the actual concealling of the weapon and 2 the attitude of the one walking about concealling weapon.

Reguardless of what you may think- #1 is very easy to do. There might be some limitaions on some things, but... look, if Henrietta can hide a SiG in her waist band of her skirt, so can your OCs.

The second is harder to do because its all based on psychology. As a private investigator once said, "If you are carrying a concealled weapon and you have a nervous, angry or excited deemor about yourself, you and your weapon will be spotted. If you carry yourself as normally as you can, not paying attention to your weapon or how you look (is there a bulge, etc...?), then you wont be spotted and your weapon will be unseen." It is in the second that in the movies so many people get away with carrying a small arsenal of weapons under their layers of clothing.

LOLZ, the opening scene to Last Action Hero.

boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Fri 21 Aug 2009 - 13:21

I was also thinking of The Maxtrix series and the Mexico Trilogy. Evil

And these guys are armed with 2 machine guns, a rocket launcher with about 8 RPGs and more hand guns than you can count! Where are they hidden? Laughing

Last edited by ElfenMagix on Fri 21 Aug 2009 - 13:35; edited 2 times in total

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring on Fri 21 Aug 2009 - 13:27

ElfenMagix wrote:Anyways. dont you have girls in your school or look at? Or a mall to hang out and study?
That there is truth. If you attend a College/school campus, there is no better way to see current fashion trends for females than the student body. Of course, this might depend on your college, but at an average American public university, there should be absolute scores of cute girls to try to figure out clothing options. Plus, most "college towns" should have a mall nearby. It's just good business.

Unless of course, you go to an all male college. In that case I pity you, and wish you better luck in the future. Razz

I mean ultimately you choose a style you wish the character to have. My characters use casual "college age student" attire - mostly because it's what I'm exposed to the most. Then again, I've never been to Europe, so maybe all my characters are dressed inappropriately. In that case, then I simply make it a non-issue. You gotta take command of your story/characters and make what you want to fit. Don't need to centuple check everything.

"Do you know what Jesus said in John chapter 5? Don't bring me any trouble, bitch." - Eda, Black Lagoon
"Anybody can be cool...but awesome takes practice." - Lorraine Peterson
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 21 Aug 2009 - 18:09

ElfenMagix wrote:

That was a clarification that made perfect sense in light of the previous two posts, IMO. One of which was the only other place in this thread where I had previously mentioned the subject (I've mentioned it previously elsewhere, but not in this thread).

As for attitude being a major factor in carrying concealed -well of course, but I'd expect someone like Elisabetta to have no problem with that, considering how much she's done it. Finding outfits that work for concealed carry probably wouldn't be a problem for her either after how much she's done it either, however I as an author don't have the two years of first hand experience the character does so I have to think about it.

What it comes down to basically is that I dislike not having a clear picture of what my characters are wearing. Yeah, it's just details, but it's actually pretty important. The old saying 'the clothes make the man' exists for a reason, after all.

I was actually at a mall for a little bit today around lunch time, but I didn't really have a lot of luck spotting anything. I ocassionally see things in public that provide inspiration but it's not that frequent. It probably doesn't help that a lot of these characters live on a different continent and are in a younger age group then the people I tend to hang out with.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum