Alfisti's OC concept sketchbook

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Alfisti's OC concept sketchbook

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 23:33

wow, that's awesome work. I'm loving the dead bad guy on the floor! The wood on the ak looks real. Dang bro I need to brush up haha

TeaTimeNinja

Forum Posts : 470

Registration date : 2014-07-30
Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 23:59

Stunning work as usual.  By the by, what does the Cyrillic say in the background?

Love the scale difference between shoe sizes, too.

taerKitty

Forum Posts : 1171

Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 1:39

@PSVT wrote:Monty looks really awesome there, and yes I can see her being awfully familiar with the Kalishnikov rifles with how ubiquitous they are. That rifle is actually a bit large relative to her, but it just goes to show how much of a beanpole she is. Razz
Well, that and MP40s, depending on what time period I'm channelling at the time.  Razz

As to the rifle: I did err toward large, but it should be pretty close. Monty's 5'4" and the wood stock AK (if we believe wikipedia) is an inch short of 3', so just a little more than half her height. When I scaled it against her it goes from the arch of her left (her left, viewer's right) to the top of the lowest black line on her dress.

'course it's always possible my scaling is off as well.

@TeaTimeNinja wrote:wow, that's awesome work. I'm loving the dead bad guy on the floor! The wood on the ak looks real.
Cheers mate.

Yeah, I find drawing wood is always something of a hit and miss affair to be honest... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

@taerKitty wrote:Stunning work as usual.  By the by, what does the Cyrillic say in the background?
According to Google Translate it should say "launch". I was originally going for "Launch Site", but it was too long, and Chinese or Korean looked like more effort than I was willing to expend this time around.  sweat

Alfisti

Forum Posts : 5739

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 15:17

That is absolutely great!

ElfenMagix

Forum Posts : 5675

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 20:00

Monty: "*growling* Bloody slavic maintenance.... just because the bloody thing _CAN_ be used with little oiling doesn't mean it _SHOULD_!"

Officer_Charon

Forum Posts : 1470

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 20:00

@Alfisti wrote:As to the rifle: I did err toward large, but it should be pretty close. Monty's 5'4" and the wood stock AK (if we believe wikipedia) is an inch short of 3', so just a little more than half her height. When I scaled it against her it goes from the arch of her left (her left, viewer's right) to the top of the lowest black line on her dress.

'course it's always possible my scaling is off as well.

I think your scaling is fine. The AK is a pretty large weapon, especially with a fixed stock. Granted, sniper rifles are larger still, but I have this feeling Monty's not going to be sitting behind a scope anytime soon (but spotting...?). So, I guess it makes sense for Monty to use the PPK. Wink

PSVT

Forum Posts : 497

Registration date : 2014-05-27
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 6:21

@PSVT wrote:...but I have this feeling Monty's not going to be sitting behind a scope anytime soon (but spotting...?).
No, sniping most definitely is not one of Monty's greater skills. I would say that, firearms wise, it's likely her weakest suit... and Jethro probably has a vague idea that the knobs on a sniper scope do something, but beyond that things are going to be a tad hit-and-miss for him.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I suspect that, unless there was absolutely no option, Monty (and her handler) would rather walk away rather than attempt to turn her (or his) hand to sniper work, she has a far better chance of success coming back later on her own terms. While her fratello often needs to hurry in order to intercept information, actually acting upon the end result of that once the pieces are in place is often something they can take their time with (and, if a couple more innocents die as a result of taking the time to set things up properly, then Monty's not going to be shedding any tears. She's playing a bigger game... though I suspect she might be a bit miffed if people died as a result of her rushing and not doing things properly). For that matter if sniping was the only way to complete a job, but if the job were minor enough, J+M would probably still consider walking away and throwing the thing entirely a better option than somehow acquiring a rifle, then taking pot shots with it...

...or (given sufficient time/impetus) Michele receives a phone call quietly instructing him to put in for leave and pack his cyborg. Monty might not like Kara much, and consider her a liability, but she is at least a known quantity of liability, and Michele knows how to play by Moscow Rules. Razz  Actually, come to think of it, if they played their cards right J+M could probably completely avoid making direct contact with any fratello sent out to, say, actually execute a hit anyway. Either information transfer could be handled through the SWA itself, or they could act essentially as spy controllers through dead-drops etc. Hell, for all the dispatched fratello knew, they could be operating on behalf of AISE... and now I'm getting sidetracked.

Alfisti

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 3:20

Quick practice in drawing older faces:

dA version - Heads of Station

Two SIS station heads from Jethro+Monty's current tale. On the left is Jethro's former mentor at the SIS, friend and current Central American Station head: Sir Algernon Herbert. On the right, his contemporary at Her Majesty's Far East Station: Charles Wilkes.

Alfisti

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 4:45

Great job on the left one.  The right one is fine in the face, but I think there may be some opportunity to play with skin looseness around the neck.  Also, are his eyes a touch high?

Disclaimer: I can't do anything near this, but I hope my comments as a viewer may be of assistance.

taerKitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 5:24

Yeah, Charles (on right) could probably use a bit more looseness around the neck. It was a bit of a balancing act as, though both men are approximately the same age, I wanted Charlie to look more athletic and powerfully built than Algy...

And yes, his eyes are quite high. Intentionally so mind, but he could perhaps have used more forehead. One thing I've found trying to experimenting with different builds and facial structure is that making that still look "right" can be something of a challenge. You see someone with an unusual build or face on the street and you accept it because, well, they're right there in front of you. Try to translate that into a drawing and, a bit like writing, you're having to make it unusual but believable at the same time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 6:19

Old is tough.  We generally learn to draw younger adults, and most of the time we try to age our base face.  You're starting with them older - jowls, receding hairlines, and all.  I wish I could suggest a way to make skin leathery at this level resolution.  They're not old enough for liver spots, and I can see the challenges in drawing someone Jack La Lane fit-at-60 vs. the usual strapping nearly-superheroic adult in the prime of his life.

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 10:16

Fine work, as always, Alf. I'll bet this latest one stretched you a little.

I'm not overly concerned with the overall proportions of the figures - the ear & eye height, nose & eye width, arm-so-many-head-lengths stuff. We're manga fans, after all, and should be expected to emphasize and de-emphasize body proportions to delineate the characters.

And delineate them you have. Herbert and Wilkes are a study in contrasts. Jethro's old friend is laid-back and worldly wise. The open shirt, slightly rumpled jacket, and lack of a tie may be due to the lack of AC in his office, but I'm betting it's a reflection of his present outlook on life and work. The faint smile on his face as he looks at the viewer speaks volumes.

Wilkes is having none of that. He looks like he sent his clothes through the steam press with him still in them. Discipline is this man's mantra. He's toned and tan and has exercised all his life. No doubt, as Her Majesty's intelligence head in the Far East, he imagines himself a civilized man surrounded by Eastern decadence, and shows the flag in his dress, right down to the three-corner fold in his pocket kerchief (as opposed to Herbert's simpler one). He looks at the viewer as if at a potential threat. The low forehead is something you could fix easily enough with a bit more hair, I suppose, but I like it this way. It gives me the impression of a man most of whose original thinking is behind him.
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1832

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 22:21

Heh, it was certainly interesting, but fun interesting. Drawing cute girls is fun and all, but guys often have the more interesting/more emphasised features to work with.

Cheers TSM... glad the contrast in characters comes across. Honestly, before doing the pic I had not completely nailed down Charlie's personality, so actually doing the drawing helped a lot in that regard.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 0:13

Nice Alfisti.

If you can take a hint - If they smoked or are out in the sun they would have fine lines and more wrinkles on their faces. If not, they look great! Just adding my two cents.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 5:21

Neither of these two I suspect are smokers however, by the nature of their work, I suspect a certain amount of out-doors-ing happens. I'm working in trying to get some more lines into the faces, the trick's getting it to match in with the rest of the rendering without becoming over-done. sweat

Cheers mate.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 10:48

My initial thoughts were, "Stadler and Waldorf!"

Yes, I told Alfisti alread.  Just wanted to give the rest of you a smile.

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 11:48

The guy on the right looks like he carries around a briefcase full of cash. He looks like he might participate in wine tasting in between executive meetings and ordering hits on people.

Like a more BA version of Thurston Howell.

amazing work as always, alf.

"life is a joke... the punchline is complicated."
TeaTimeNinja

Male

Fan of : Rico

Original Characters : Elly/Pete

Comments : Advised by Alfisti to check out the forum... so here I am!

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 17:44

I figure drawing wrinkles or skin that is otherwise not smooth isn't the easiest thing in the world, so I commend you. Beyond that, I'll echo the others in saying that, yeah, their personalities do stand out in their individual portraits. Excellent work overall.

The perfect might be the enemy of the good. Then again, so is the mediocre.
PSVT

Male

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : Giancarlo Rossi and his cyborgs Valentina R. and Eleonora R.; James Bernard and his cyborg Rachelle

Comments : Working on an actual story now, so please be patient... ^_^;

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 5:44

Cheers chaps.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 3:04

Sometimes everyone needs someone who will put up with their sooking...

dA version

Well, I did have a big, sweeping space scene planned to do in my off-writing week. Real life however managed to pretty comprehensively torpedo that one, so here are Jethro+Monty instead.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 6:24

Jethro: mmmmmmm, hair.

TeaTimeNinja

Male

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 6:45

@TeaTimeNinja wrote:Jethro: mmmmmmm, hair.
Fortunately Monty's is, pretty much by definition, well kept and clean.  Razz

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 15:36

Glomp
Oh, so sweet. If only they were this tender to each other in their fanfics as well as the art page...
Thescarredman

Male

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 16:13

@Thescarredman wrote:Glomp
Oh, so sweet. If only they were this tender to each other in their fanfics as well as the art page...

To me, their relationship has become a fair bit more personal in his latest works then his earlier, so I think the picture is a perfect reflection of their current fratello dynamic.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10889

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 16 Feb 2015 - 3:44

@Kiskaloo wrote:
@Thescarredman wrote:Glomp

To me, their relationship has become a fair bit more personal in his latest works then his earlier, so I think the picture is a perfect reflection of their current fratello dynamic.
Pretty much. This was, at least in part, spurred on by a scene in J+M's most recent chapter where Jethro's letting a little worry/some bad memories out.

That said, Jethro+Monty's relationship has certainly become more openly personal over time... though displays of affection still tend to still be built around the convenient excuse (or lie-to-self) of "maintaining cover", and thus tend to be scaled back when in private (except, for example, here where Jethro is sooking) or around the SWA campus. Of course, the manner in which those displays are portrayed varies between the two as well: Jethro shows affection by instigating, Monty shows affection by letting him which, to a greater or lesser extent, is the way things have always been.

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain if that change has been a result of their natural progression over time, or my own interpretation of their relationship evolving... or a little bit of both. Either way, it certainly makes organising non-verbals between the two much easier.  Razz

Perhaps as an aside to that, I used to be fairly convinced Jethro would eventually get over the inevitable loss of Monty. These days, I'm not so sure.

And cheers chaps.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Mon 16 Feb 2015 - 16:02

Jethro is a professional... while he would get PAST the loss of Monty, I doubt he would ever get OVER her.... or allow himself to get close to any other cyborg again, to the same extent.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Original Characters : John Darme.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Mon 16 Feb 2015 - 23:02

Absolutely love this picture of Jethro and Monty, much like the rest of your works to be sure. But, I definitely agree that it depicts a much closer and more personal relationship between the two that also exists within Six Degrees. I consider that a good thing in a way, for it shows a definite evolution in the personalities of both characters, while at the same time having them be very much true to themselves (as much as they can, at least).

Also you made a rather interesting point...

@Alfisti wrote:Perhaps as an aside to that, I used to be fairly convinced Jethro would eventually get over the inevitable loss of Monty. These days, I'm not so sure.

...which kinda answers a question I had come up with a little while ago but just got around to posing here. sweat

PSVT

Male

Original Characters : Giancarlo Rossi and his cyborgs Valentina R. and Eleonora R.; James Bernard and his cyborg Rachelle

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 17 Feb 2015 - 6:19

@Officer_Charon wrote:Jethro is a professional... while he would get PAST the loss of Monty, I doubt he would ever get OVER her.... or allow himself to get close to any other cyborg again, to the same extent.
^This. This is good. In fact it's much better and more succinct than any explanation I could have come up with... I'm stealing it.

That said, perhaps at risk of turning Jethro into a tragic romantic, I really doubt he would take another cyborg. He might stick with the SWA for a little bit, but he would likely eventually drift away, or at least get into a role where he could avoid campus. Of course, if the SWA tried to force another cyborg on him he would likely drift away a little faster.  Razz  Certainly it would be off the cards until he had managed the "getting past it" stage, and that would likely be a delicate time.

That said, to borrow a line from White Collar: "even if he was ready for a straight jacket, I'm sure Jethro (Neil) would still be smiling and saying everything was fine".

To be honest, part of me likes the idea that, when Monty's time came, she and Jethro would sort of "ride off into the sunset"... leave the SWA per-usual, and just never return. However, another part of me thinks it wouldn't be in Monty's personality to not be busy and useful up to her last breath, so there's also a chance she'd end her days working in the intelligence department.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I've very little urge to try writing any of the above. J+M's direct story is currently slated to end with Six Degreessweat

@PSVT wrote:Absolutely love this picture of Jethro and Monty, much like the rest of your works to be sure. But, I definitely agree that it depicts a much closer and more personal relationship between the two that also exists within Six Degrees. I consider that a good thing in a way, for it shows a definite evolution in the personalities of both characters, while at the same time having them be very much true to themselves (as much as they can, at least). 
Cheers mate.

At risk of admitting to a rookie error: I honestly wasn't even consciously aware of their changing relationship until I started to assess some of my earlier work. Overall, I think I'm happy with their evolution, and I'm glad (at least, I think I'm reading it right that way) that others seem to be happy with it as well.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Mon 2 Mar 2015 - 9:36

Looks beautiful, as usual.

taerKitty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 4:52

Duplicated from the Camping Trip Info thread...

Odile... really isn't cut for camping, and Florentino's dress sense on her is not helping matters.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 11:27

I hope the other handlers don't get to distracted by her, ahem, tracts of land.

taerKitty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 12:51

This is hilarious!

TeaTimeNinja

Male

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 13:34

Poor kid. At least the backpack should balance the load.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 13:56

John: "Soooo... I think the SRT needs to bone up on their survival skillset."

Amadeo: "Phrasing. Also, no."

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Original Characters : John Darme.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 14:01

Oh, that's just lovely. Razz 

Though, to be fair, it's probably the least of her impending problems on this little camping expedition.

PSVT

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 17:22

@taerKitty wrote:I hope the other handlers don't get to distracted by her, ahem, tracts of land.
We'll see... I suspect Florentino's whole thinking was for her to be a distraction...

@Officer_Charon wrote:John: "Soooo... I think the SRT needs to bone up on their survival skillset."

Amadeo: "Phrasing. Also, no."
The SRT, or members thereof, are welcome along... just saying.  Razz 

@PSVT wrote:Though, to be fair, it's probably the least of her impending problems on this little camping expedition.
I suspect you're right.

Cheers all. Hopefully she's entertaining on the RP.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 21:03

And now what I was actually supposed to be working on this last week...

Drawn with permission, PSVT's Giancarlo and Valentina.

Thanks much to him for letting me have a stab at them. dA version is here.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 21:37

Chucks. Good taste!

Really good job man, everything you draw genuinely impresses me.

TeaTimeNinja

Male

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 22:23

Though I already told you in the email, I'll just repeat here how much I absolutely love this picture of Giancarlo and Valentina. Thanks again, man!

PSVT

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 22:57

That's beautiful.

taerKitty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 23:10

Cheers blokes.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 21 Mar 2015 - 23:32

@Alfisti wrote:Duplicated from the Camping Trip Info thread...

Odile... really isn't cut for camping, and Florentino's dress sense on her is not helping matters.

Henrietta: Rachel's bigger!
Rachel (from 1/2 mile behind the pack): NO THEY ARE NOT!!!

They are all great, Alfisti...

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 22 Mar 2015 - 4:48

@ElfenMagix wrote:Henrietta: Rachel's bigger
Don't let Florentino overhear that.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 31 May 2015 - 7:17

Monty and Odile, giving different answers to the same question...

dA version

Suffice to say that Sten has been acquired somewhere along the way, Odile (presuming she ever makes it out of Italy) travels heavier than Monty... and, whatever this assignment is, Monty is probably hating every second of it.

Honestly, this was mostly an excuse to update Monty's "sneaking" outfit with a cold-weather version. It seemed like fun to throw Odile in there as well, dressed for the same party, for a bit of contrast between how the two fratelli operate.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 31 May 2015 - 11:42

So cool.

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Sun 31 May 2015 - 14:55

ALL OF THE LIKES. thats so ba, dude. stellar job.

n-n-n-n-n-new wallpaper! Maybe not for class though...

TeaTimeNinja

Male

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Sun 31 May 2015 - 15:48

Very beautiful, the two. And quite the contrast indeed in their clothing and equipment and overall philosophy. World War II machine gun for Monty (naturally  Razz) and not much more, versus a more modern PDW (possibly the Steyr TMP or a derivation thereof), extra magazines, and associated other gear for Odile. I enjoy the differing textures you give their clothing, with slightly less apparent light reflection from Monty's sweater fabric versus the glossy leather of Odile's quite tight-fitting bodysuit.

Beyond that, I am curious to see how Odile would perform in the types of international missions typical of Jethro and Monty, assuming she ever gets the opportunity. A highly unlikely probability, especially at the current rate, but Florentino can dream can't he? Wink

PSVT

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sun 31 May 2015 - 17:51

Most excellent. Quite aside from the beautiful artwork, the pic really fires up my imagination. Dare I say that Odile looks rather more the Bond girl than her 'sister'? I'm imagining Monty VERY reluctantly taking Odile along on an assignment that goes south, leaving the two of them cut off from their handlers and surrounded ... and the buxom killing machine showing the seasoned spy how to fight her way out of a tight spot.

Monty would never be the same.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 1 Jun 2015 - 0:49

@PSVT wrote:Very beautiful, the two. And quite the contrast indeed in their clothing and equipment and overall philosophy. World War II machine gun for Monty (naturally  Razz) and not much more, versus a more modern PDW (possibly the Steyr TMP or a derivation thereof), extra magazines, and associated other gear for Odile. I enjoy the differing textures you give their clothing, with slightly less apparent light reflection from Monty's sweater fabric versus the glossy leather of Odile's quite tight-fitting bodysuit.

Beyond that, I am curious to see how Odile would perform in the types of international missions typical of Jethro and Monty, assuming she ever gets the opportunity. A highly unlikely probability, especially at the current rate, but Florentino can dream can't he? Wink
I actually really enjoyed working the different materials into their two outfits, not something I remember/get the chance to contrast so often... and, yes, Monty has the strange ability to somehow find weaponry of 1960's or older vintage. sweat

For the record: Odile uses a B&T MP9, which is indeed a derivative of the Steyr TMP (I believe Steyr sold the design to them, then B&T modified it). Major difference of course is that Florentino and Odile carry the MP9 with them everywhere, along with everything else she's wearing, including the radio and earpiece... a luxury Monty rarely has access to and, frankly, would generally prefer to do without.

As to how Odile and Florentino would do in a J+M type role... if Florentino gets his shit together, they could probably do it, albeit not as efficiently or as well, and it would be a very different dynamic to J+M's. Basically it would be a much more handler-centric operation, with Odile basically along as eye candy/muscle, with Florentino having to do the intelligence gathering/interpretation/planning on his own... which may suit the SWA just fine. They wanted someone a bit more under their control than the Blackers, so if Florentino had to lean more heavily on Priscilla's department to support his operations, it makes that easier.

Short version is that F&O would be far less independent and though, as a result, probably better resourced and equipped than J+M, they would also be running a higher risk of detection (which, in story, I guess the SWA is starting to realise). Frankly, I think, should they ever be allowed outside Italy's boarders, that they'd be far better suited to short-duration jobs... call it a week to a month, max, with a set goal and mission plan already in place, possibly as part of a team.

@Thescarredman wrote:Dare I say that Odile looks rather more the Bond girl than her 'sister'? 
In this particular case, yes... I always tend to imagine Monty doing her sneaking thing to look less Bond and more cat burglar/French Resistance.

@Thescarredman wrote:I'm imagining Monty VERY reluctantly taking Odile along on an assignment that goes south, leaving the two of them cut off from their handlers and surrounded ... and the buxom killing machine showing the seasoned spy how to fight her way out of a tight spot. 

Monty would never be the same.
I dunno, Monty's generally pretty happy to let someone else do the fighting if they're available (Jethro excluded, obviously). She recognises that the other girls are much better at that sort of thing than she is and, frankly, I suspect she considers that to be a sign of their Neanderthal/blunt instrument nature. How much of that prejudice is as a result of their being better in the first place however... who knows.

That said, yes, Odile would very much be the more competent fighter.

@TeaTimeNinja wrote:n-n-n-n-n-new wallpaper! Maybe not for class though...
Probs not for class, no.  Razz

Cheers chaps.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 16:44

Great art!
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1968

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 2 Aug 2015 - 1:53

dA version, complete with BS history, here.

So, this August marks six years of Jethro+Monty and, to celebrate, I thought it might be fun to pay tribute to one of their major inspirations: Tintin, Hergé and, well... the Franco-Belgian comic tradition in general really. Certainly a fun experiment, though I think the results are mixed at best. Lines and inking done on bond with pacer, uni-pin micro fineliners and a Tria marker. Colours and layout were digital.

Obvious soundtrack is obvious...

...well, except for that last one.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sun 2 Aug 2015 - 9:28

Monique in a kimono ... unexpected, and excellent.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 2 Aug 2015 - 11:57

Seriously cool.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Sun 2 Aug 2015 - 11:59

those are epic!

TeaTimeNinja

Male

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 3 Aug 2015 - 5:30

@Thescarredman wrote:Monique in a kimono ... unexpected, and excellent.
To be honest, that last cover was mostly an excuse to put Monty in a kimono. Couldn't think of a way to get her into one normally, so I cheated.  Razz

Actually, all three of these were originally ideas for fully rendered pictures. However, they fit together neatly into this, which may well have saved them from the long list of "things I want to do but don't have time for"... or at least waiting in line for literally years.

...and cheers chaps.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Mon 3 Aug 2015 - 11:29

Loved all three of the pictures. It's a departure from your regular style, but you do an excellent job of capturing the style of those old comics. Further, Jetrho and Monty really do seem to be in their element here.

And, yes, anything to get Monty in a kimono is definitely worth it. Razz

PSVT

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 4 Aug 2015 - 3:45

@PSVT wrote:Loved all three of the pictures. It's a departure from your regular style, but you do an excellent job of capturing the style of those old comics. Further, Jetrho and Monty really do seem to be in their element here.

And, yes, anything to get Monty in a kimono is definitely worth it. Razz
"In their element"... well, except for the sword, that Monty has no idea how to use. To borrow a quote from Firefly: she probably knows which end to hold.

That said, J+M owe a lot to Tintin (especially their more "30's Adventure" moments), to the transfer of that feel at least went across relatively simply.

Cheers mate.

And yes, I did enjoy putting Monty in a kimono.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 5:28

The Agent Formerly Known as "Mary"...

...now Katherine Olivia Fuji.

dA version

Since she has been, and is set to continue, featuring heavily in J+M's side of Six Degrees, it only seemed fair to do her up a better portrait. While she's there at the moment, Hong Kong (nor Monaco, or Grindelwald) is not really her natural habitat, and she's a much happier person, say, riding motorbikes through the mountains of Afghanistan.

Needles to say, she's a somewhat blunter instrument than the Blackers.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 12:52

Sub zero, buddy. Your skill is intense. you have a way with simple but stunning backgrounds.

TeaTimeNinja

Male

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum