Alfisti's OC concept sketchbook

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Alfisti's OC concept sketchbook

Post by Thescarredman on Sat 23 Jul 2016 - 1:09

Beautiful work as always, Alf. The facial expressions are great. Odile's is particularly telling: she seems to be trying very hard to get a point across in conversation.

Thescarredman

Forum Posts : 1697

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 23 Jul 2016 - 20:09

Cheers TSM. Glad the expressions came up okay: getting some practise with those was half the reason for putting in Raych and Odlie. Except on rare occasions, Monty tends to default to the one. sweat

Alfisti

Forum Posts : 5684

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 9:01

Gotta hand it to ya Alfisti, I agree with The Scarred Man, expressions came through nicely done: each visual is a tempting intro to an ongoing story albeit with out words, so that a viewer looks all the more intently to grab the gist of what is being conveyed by each face. Great lure.

tremec6speed

Forum Posts : 1947

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 25 Jul 2016 - 5:09

Thanks tremec. Oddly enough, this was originally meant to just be straight portraits, but it didn't feel right to put them all in the same picture without having some response to each other. Hence, for example, why Monty wound up a bit separated from the other two, etc.

Alfisti

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 8 Aug 2016 - 3:42

One from the Monday Musings folder...

dA version.

Random pair on the practise range. I have no idea who they are, to be honest I mostly just felt like drawing a sniper fratello in a Peugeot.

Alfisti

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Mon 8 Aug 2016 - 10:14

Your detail work is great, as always, but what I've really been looking hard at is the background, how you can delineate a roadside park in a pine forest on a miserable winter day, using just three shades of gray and a wide brush. That's stupendous.

Thescarredman

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 9 Aug 2016 - 6:09

@Thescarredman wrote:Your detail work is great, as always, but what I've really been looking hard at is the background, how you can delineate a roadside park in a pine forest on a miserable winter day, using just three shades of gray and a wide brush. That's stupendous.
Cheers mate. 

Heh, I would like to claim that the background was tone and values practise or some such similar but, to be honest, it mostly got done like that because I was getting somewhat fed up with how long the pic was taking. These Monday Musings things are supposed to be quick and simple. sweat

Alfisti

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 9 Aug 2016 - 11:37

Loving it, mate.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10871

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Tue 9 Aug 2016 - 15:07

I think this is probably only the second or third time I've every drawn Raych.

I count four off the top of my head: the introductory portrait of her and Danilo, the comparison between the Olivetti and Blacker fratelli, the 'Meanwhile' cover, and the 'Daft Punk' FQ cover with Monty.

Thescarredman

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Wed 10 Aug 2016 - 2:46

Huh, I'd actually forgotten about the fQ cover...

As for the Meanwhile one... don't know why I didn't count that. sweat

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.

Alfisti

Male

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 18 Aug 2016 - 8:22

Something I've been meaning to try for awhile...

...Monty's Mong Kok tussle with Lau in Six Degrees.

dA version

Despite being one of my favourite scenes in J+M's last story, this was also one of the most difficult to get down: it's surprisingly awkward writing a kung fu fight when only half the parties involved actually know kung fu.

As to the picture, well... to be brutally honest it's not turned out as well as I had hoped: poses are a bit wooden and the background is not quite as spectacular as originally envisaged in my head. Ah well, live and learn. On the upside, there was opportunity to muck around with a few new and different bits of post processing.

Tried going a bit darker on the levels this time as well as I suspect my main monitor is on its way out.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Thu 18 Aug 2016 - 19:53

Missed a lot of really great artwork there. The portraits of Monty, Raych, and Odile is just sublime, especially when looking at their individual expressions. Monty looks mildly annoyed (surprise?), Raych appears possibly apprehensive about disappointing Danilo (poor girl), and Odile is oddly focused and maybe a bit enthusiastic.

Going back one more, the crossover between Jethro+Monty and the Maughams is also something really amazing as well. Agree with the others in liking the great amount of detail put into that pic. One thing I see immediately is the distinct difference in style between J+M and the Maughams. That, and how twig-like Monty truly is compared to Henry. Jethro too, for that matter.

As for your most recent pic, it is fun to learn and play with settings, but at the same time I do think it came out really well. Nighttime action is something difficult to get perfect, but you're not too far off I think. The dim illumination of the foreground action solely by light from the background building signage provides an interesting touch. All in all a really good effort.

The perfect might be the enemy of the good. Then again, so is the mediocre.

PSVT

Male

Forum Posts : 471

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : Giancarlo Rossi and his cyborgs Valentina R. and Eleonora R.; James Bernard and his cyborg Rachelle

Comments : Working on an actual story now, so please be patient... ^_^;

Registration date : 2014-05-27
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 19 Aug 2016 - 9:18

@PSVT wrote:The portraits of Monty, Raych, and Odile is just sublime, especially when looking at their individual expressions. Monty looks mildly annoyed (surprise?), Raych appears possibly apprehensive about disappointing Danilo (poor girl), and Odile is oddly focused and maybe a bit enthusiastic.
Oddly, I originally only really intended this one to be straight up portraits of the girls, but it didn't seem quite right not to have at least a little bit of interaction. There is probably some worry about disappointing Danilo for Raych, I also suspect she's a bit nervous because Monty's present. Let's be honest, their relationship did not get off to a good start on Monty's end, and I suspect Raych is all to aware that the other girl does not think particularly highly of her... so she's likely concerned about putting her foot in it any further.

Odile, well, she's quite friendly and likes to talk, and I suspect she also wants to put in a good showing. Mentally I pictured her earnestly trying to say something intelligent sounding...

...the net effect of which is to, yes, annoy Monty even more than she otherwise might have been.  Razz

@PSVT wrote:Going back one more, the crossover between Jethro+Monty and the Maughams is also something really amazing as well. Agree with the others in liking the great amount of detail put into that pic. One thing I see immediately is the distinct difference in style between J+M and the Maughams. That, and how twig-like Monty truly is compared to Henry. Jethro too, for that matter.
Yeah, style wise, while J+M tend to be rooted in the 1960's, Henry and Lettie seem to be flying closer to the 1930s... which I'm happy with, it suits the sort of story I want to do with them. That and the different body types probably also has something to do with the Maughams originating out of the fact that I had been drawing J+M a lot and had the urge to draw something different (ok, let's be brutally honest here, I felt like drawing tits sweat  ). That being said, Monty has always been a rake ( "world's most expensive beanpole" ), and Jethro I tend to picture as having a fairly slender/dapper build... basically on the slender side of the classic Bond shape. Henry, on the other hand, is proper built.

@PSVT wrote:As for your most recent pic, it is fun to learn and play with settings, but at the same time I do think it came out really well. Nighttime action is something difficult to get perfect, but you're not too far off I think. The dim illumination of the foreground action solely by light from the background building signage provides an interesting touch. All in all a really good effort.
Cheers mate (for this, and the other compliments above). I had the darndest time getting the illumination (or lack thereof) across the foreground how I wanted. Normally, when rendering, I'll pick a mid-range colour for the bit I'm working on, then do shadows and highlights either side... and that just wasn't getting results. Ultimately I wound up changing technique, laying down the darkest colour first, and then picking up the lit areas.

Ultimately, I think some of my disappointment with the pic is less at the actual result and more at myself for losing interest halfway through: got the characters done, did the signs and then ran out of steam... that's not a feeling I particularly enjoy. Unfortunately, walking away for a bit wasn't an option either as, come the end of the month, I'm back into writing and needed this out of the way.  sweat

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Fri 19 Aug 2016 - 12:45

I dunno. I dig it. Kinda comes across as a stop motion cell from a fight scene out of "Samurai Jack".

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!

boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2550

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 20 Aug 2016 - 2:40

Cheers Boomer.

To be honest though, I've never actually seen Samurai Jack...

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 23:30

Great angle, the colors, everything!! head bang

tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1947

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 18:51

Operator...

...Morse variety

Another from Monty's time in Hong Kong. I quite like the idea that she can operate a Morse Key, even if not particularly quickly. It seems like the sort of slightly out-of-date and useless-unless-you're-Monty-Blacker type of skill she would have.

Also, it saved me a whole lot of rather contrived radio sign and countersign in-story. sweat

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 19:03

Well pleased to see you're still doing J+M art, even though the story is finished.

Details and lighting are exceptional, as always. Must be your photographic experience. Tell me you cut-and-pasted that map somehow. Did you model that radio set off something real, or is it wholly the product of your imagination?

Monty certainly looks dapper, considering she's just been engaged in a running gunfight in a filthy decrepit barge. But then, Monty...

Thescarredman

Male

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 8 Oct 2016 - 0:34

@Thescarredman wrote:Well pleased to see you're still doing J+M art, even though the story is finished.

Details and lighting are exceptional, as always. Must be your photographic experience. Tell me you cut-and-pasted that map somehow. Did you model that radio set off something real, or is it wholly the product of your imagination?

Monty certainly looks dapper, considering she's just been engaged in a running gunfight in a filthy decrepit barge. But then, Monty...
Yeah, J+M are still being drawn... probably almost more since their story ended.  sweat

As to the radio: the Morse key is a Royal Navy item, and should be about correct for the period I pictured the ship being constructed in. As to the set itself, that's based loosely, very loosely, on the sets fitted to liberty ships. Honestly, so long as it looked appropriately aged I was pretty happy. The map was admittedly traced (I'm just not that patient) from a 1944 war department map I found online to get country outlines, then with the colours, mountain ranges, etc. eyeballed as best I could. Again, I mostly just wanted something with the USSR still on it, though getting French/British/Italian/Belgian Africa into the bargain was a bit of a bonus.

Cheers mate.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 3 Nov 2016 - 3:03

dA version

Been making an effort to get a bit neater with my sketchbook of late, seeing as I'm spending a lot of time away from the computer I usually draw on. Decided to try colouring some of the results.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Thu 3 Nov 2016 - 12:25

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!A!!!

Poor Odile...and Monty's expression is priceless.

Might we seen The Lost Files of Jethro and Monty?

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!

boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2550

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Thu 3 Nov 2016 - 12:32

'Dad's Army.' Hilarious.

Whatever J+M have got on, Monty must have been hating it before this lot showed up.

Something different about Jethro in this one. Can't put my finger on it, but he looks older somehow.

Thescarredman

Male

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 4 Nov 2016 - 4:58

@boomer_gonz wrote:Poor Odile...and Monty's expression is priceless.
Yeah, Odile's probably a bit out of her depth... though she's probably a better door kicker than she is spy. Pity Monty doesn't appreciate her presence either way.

@Thescarredman wrote:'Dad's Army.' Hilarious.

Whatever J+M have got on, Monty must have been hating it before this lot showed up.

Something different about Jethro in this one. Can't put my finger on it, but he looks older somehow.
Well, it was either 'Dad's Army', or 'Blackadder Goes Forth"... and the former rolled off the tongue better... and no, it's not really J+M's natural environment. Though I suspect Monty was hoping for a more sneaky/saboteur approach than she is likely to get with this lot.

As to Jethro: he's certainly a bit more slender than I generally aim for drawing him, though that's more a function of my getting it wrong on paper than anything. As to looking older, might be that I was using black outlines on this one to pick up his facial features and wrinkles, rather than my normal approach of making any lines in a darker version of skin tone?

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Fri 4 Nov 2016 - 9:09

Well, it was either 'Dad's Army', or 'Blackadder Goes Forth"...
I presume you're talking about the final scene.

The line technique, Jethro's thinness, and, I think possibly his nose-to-mouth ratio are what impressed me.

Meant to ask earlier: I know who the four uncolored characters on the right are, of course. But who's that half hidden behind Jethro?

Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 4 Nov 2016 - 20:08

Hmm, perhaps not quite the last scene...

That was going to be Michele and Kara but, well... it was starting to get cluttered so I stopped.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Thu 10 Nov 2016 - 20:07

dude I love this. Nice work once again!

"life is a joke... the punchline is complicated."

TeaTimeNinja

Male

Forum Posts : 467

Fan of : Rico

Original Characters : Elly/Pete

Comments : Advised by Alfisti to check out the forum... so here I am!

Registration date : 2014-07-30
Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 11 Nov 2016 - 1:56

Cheers mate.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 25 Dec 2016 - 19:09

I did have an actual Christmas picture planned, but work got in the way and I ran out of time. However, here's a page of sketchbook with some colour thrown at it:

Unfortunately Monty's not much of a one for a Merry Christmas. sweat

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sun 25 Dec 2016 - 21:13

Jethro's just not going to give up with the mistletoe, is he? Though I'm guessing all he's really trying to do is get a smile out of her.

Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Mon 26 Dec 2016 - 22:37

Gorgeous work, Alfi! Glad to see Monty's still being Monty despite the holiday season - and Jethro still being Jethro as well. Razz Anyway, I'd still like to see the finished picture, even if it's just a little bit late.

The perfect might be the enemy of the good. Then again, so is the mediocre.

PSVT

Male

Forum Posts : 471

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : Giancarlo Rossi and his cyborgs Valentina R. and Eleonora R.; James Bernard and his cyborg Rachelle

Comments : Working on an actual story now, so please be patient... ^_^;

Registration date : 2014-05-27
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 27 Dec 2016 - 1:56

No, he is not giving up on that mistletoe. Razz

The actual concept I had planned was somewhat different (and, tbh, far less festive) to the sketch above. It might get done eventually, but there are other things to look after first.

Cheers chaps.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 14 Jan 2017 - 7:16

Went skiing, turns out I need more practise. Monty is far more competent and, I suspect, a little horrified at just how poor of a skier her creator remains.

Updated skiing looks for J+M, based on those I had for the Moonraker chapter of AtAC.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sat 14 Jan 2017 - 8:39

Nice outfits (though I'd like to know what sort of apres-ski activity is going to call for Monty's unusual accessory). Line work and background are great as usual. Thanks for sharing this with us, Alf.

Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 15 Jan 2017 - 6:06

@Thescarredman wrote:...though I'd like to know what sort of apres-ski activity is going to call for Monty's unusual accessory...
Something appropriately nefarious I suspect. I presume she's picked it up along the way, possibly from someone else. I like the PM-12 for Monty, it's appropriately retro looking and been in service(not always with the most reputable folks either)/production for ages, so it's easy to explain her getting hold of an example.

Cheers.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 22:47

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down