Anime Couples Tournament Nomination Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anime Couples Tournament Nomination Thread

Post by Piero on Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 2:30

This is the nomination thread for the anime couples tournament I hope to start soon.

Rules are similar to those of the previous tournament I conducted. Nominations should include a paragraph of text and a picture with a maximum size of approximately 640x480. You can also include a link to a second picture of similar size. Since this is an anime couples tournament, please use pictures that make use of the anime versions of the character designs (rather then any manga versions that may exist). Good places to look for images include sites like minitokyo and animepaper. Screencaps from the series themselves are also often a good place to find images of characters.

The one major difference between this tournament and the last one is that the descriptions for the nominations need to be longer. The voters need to know the histories of these couples and how they relate to each other. The objective of each description should be to summarise, in the space of one paragraph, everything of significance about the couple in quetion. Try to avoid major spoilers where possible, but don't skimp on things you feel the voters need to know about.

There is also one new rule that applies specifically to the 'couples' part of this tournament. Basically, the pairings need to be at least some basis in the canon of whatever series they're from. It's okay to choose a possible pairing from a series that is still running, or a pairing that's hinted at. I might even accept a pairing that didn't come to be if it was a strong enough contender. But there needs to be at least some supporting evidence for the pairing in series canon.

The nomination process will end on Monday, September 7th at 9:30pm EST. I may be willing to extend this if enough people state a need for additional time however. I realise doing up the descriptions necessary for this tournament may take some time, and I want to make sure people have time so that they can write good descriptions.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have about half a dozen nominations to make.

Edit: For the time being the requirement that nominations be seconded has been dropped in order to encourage people to make nominations.

Current Nominations list:

Amir and Karluk -Otoyomegatari
Dee and Ryo -FAKE (Pending description)
Ellen (Ein) and Ryuji Azuma (Zwei) -Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Firo Prochainezo and Ennis -Bacanno
Harima Kenji and Eri Sawachika -School Rumble
Harima Kenji and Yakumo Tsukamoto -School Rumble
Hiro and Nowaki -Junjou Romantica (Pending description)
Jo and Meg -Burst Angel
Kenshin Himura and Kaoru Kamiya -Ruruoni Kenshin
Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara -Bakemonogatari
Lawrence and Horo: Spice and Wolf
Mai Tokiha and Yuiichi Tate -Mai-HiME
Maria Oosawa and Canaan -Canaan
Megumi "Nodame" Noda and Shinichi Chiaki -Nodame Cantabile
Mikoto Suou and Hanai Haruki -School Rumble
Mireille Boquet and Yuumura Kurika -Noir
Naoyuki Asaba and Kana Iriya -Iriya No Sora, UFO No Natsu
Renji Asou and Chihiro Shindou -EF: A Tale of Memories
Rock and Revy -Black Lagoon
Sano and Mizuki -Hana-Kimi (Pending Description)
Shizuru Fujino and Natsuki Kuga -Mai-HiME
Sousuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori -Full Metal Panic
Tenchi Masaki and Ryoko -Tenchi Muyo
Welkin Gunther and Alicia Melchiott -Valkyria Chronicles
Yukio 'Koyuki' Takana and Maho Minami -BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
Yuuri and Mashiro Mito -Tayutama: Kiss on my Diety

One more I need to do some detail checking on...

Last edited by Piero on Sat 19 Sep 2009 - 20:07; edited 5 times in total

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime Couples Tournament Nomination Thread

Post by Piero on Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 2:46

First batch of nominations... you may recognise a few familiar faces here from other tournaments. I guess it's probably because favorite series, favorite characters, and favorite couples are often quite closely linked, at least for me.

A socially inept teenage counter-terrorist and former child soldier and the nice but short tempered school girl he was assigned to go undercover to protect. Their early interactions were characterised by the girl flip-flopping as to whether the guy was weird but harmless or a creep who was stalking her. After finding out about his mission, she decided that she was going to help him learn to fit in with normal people. Her strategy for doing this often seems to involve beating some sense into him –literally. Despite continuing violence on the part of both the girl and those targeting her, the two eventually develop a strong and mutually supporting relationship. Here’s Full Metal Panic’s Sousuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori.

It's intended to be a wallpaper... but it fits.

A relatively ordinary guy and a magical girl who wishes she was normal. She’s nice but headstrong, and he’s a jerk with a heart of gold type, which might explain why they were initially at each other’s throats. Despite this, the guy eventually becomes one of the few people the girl is willing to confide in when the pressure of taking care of her sickly younger brother (among various other issues) starts to get to her. In addition to their initial hostility, the girl’s promise to support the guy’s childhood friend and her desire to keep him from getting caught up in the dangerous circumstances surrounding her further complicated the two’s relationship, though they eventually came to realise and express their feelings for each other during the life or death circumstances of the so called ‘festival.’ Here’s Mai-HIME’s Mai Tokiha and Yuiichi Tate.

http://yfrog.com/ejmaixyuiichi2j

A notorious delinquent and a half-English, half-Japanese tsundere from a wealthy family. The
seeds of their love-hate relationship took root when the delinquent, intending to confess to another girl whom he had a massive crush on, ended up giving the confession to the tsundere by accident. The sincerity of this confession left a lasting impression on the tsundere, and due to various complications, the misunderstanding was never properly resolved. In fact, it became part of a long string of misunderstandings in a relationship characterised by its participants becoming closer and closer while they repeatedly express their low opinions of each other’s respective characters. They often refer to each other as ‘hige’ (beard) and ‘ojou’ (princess) respectively. Here’s School Rumble’s Harima Kenji and Eri Sawachika.

Relationship charts for the series list the relationship between these two as 'shining wizard.' It's a Japanese professional wrestling move that uses your knee against your opponent. Smile

http://img523.imageshack.us/i/erixharima2.jpg/

Last edited by Piero on Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 3:14; edited 3 times in total

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 3:02

And, because I happen to be a yuri fanboy as well... Smile

A deadly mercenary gunslinger who rarely shows much emotion and her much more expressive partner. The latter frequently ends up needing to be rescued by the former when they’re on assignments. Given that she apparently managed to watch out for several younger orphans while living as a street urchin and is implied to have eventually managed to become a badass in her own right, one could be forgiven for thinking the second girl lets herself get captured on purpose. Especially given how some of her dialogue suggests she has a hero complex of sorts towards
her partner. Here’s Burst Angel’s Jo and Meg.

Probably one of the few times in the series where Jo could ever be described as 'cute.'

A polite, well bred young lady and the aggressive, outwardly hostile tomboy whose glare she fell in love with. Being ashamed of her feelings, the former kept them under wraps while continuing to reach out to the latter, becoming the first person the younger girl was willing to put her trust in after her mother’s death. Unfortunately for both of them, matters came to a head at the worst possible time during the dangerous and emotionally stressful events of the so called ‘festival.’ This prompted the first girl to have a mental breakdown and target everyone she felt stood between the two of them, eventually forcing the second girl to confront her in an emotionally charged showdown late in the series. Here’s Mai-HIME’s Shizuru Fujino and Natsuki Kuga.

An energetic, slightly ditzy Japanese girl and the oddly childlike but very badass action girl she met while travelling the world in an attempt to find herself. The two ended up becoming close friends, and would later be reunited on two occasions, first in Tokyo’s Shibuya district, then later in Shanghai, when their respective jobs as a rookie camerawoman and a mercenary serving a secretive organisation brought them together. On both occasions their reunion was complicated by the actions of the Snakes, a terrorist group led by a figure from the second girl’s past. As a note, messing with the first girl is a bad idea, as the second girl is both extremely protective of her and extremely badass. Here’s Canaan’s Maria Oosawa and Canaan.

Yes, that is a piece of sugar candy in her mouth, not a cigarette. And no, that does not make her any less capable of kicking your ass.

http://yfrog.com/5kcanaanxmaria2j

I wasn't sure about whether to include the last one, but after some of the dialogue in one of the recent episodes, I'd say there's at the very least a strong and rather deliberate undertone...

I have more, but I need time to get their profiles done up. Razz

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 6:02

A plain Japanese boy who starts interacting with this younger sister of the talented guitarist whose odd-looking dog the boy saves. Like her brother, the girl has traveled between America and Japan so she can speak both fluent English and Japanese and develops an interest in the boy's talented guitar-playing and singing. Thanks to the girl and her brother, the boy gets motivated enough to join the brother's struggling rock band with his potential talents and develops an increasing attraction to the girl, but finds it hard to understand what her thoughts of him are throughout much of the series. In one notable scene between the two, both are seen singing in the school pool together while skinnydipping. Here's BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad's Yukio "Koyuki" Tanaka and Maho Minami.

I'd like to put more up. But I need to worry about work this morning, so perhaps later tonight. Razz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
-Joker "Batman: The Killing Joke"
If the SWA told Sandro to go fuck a chicken, he would.
-Elfen in Chatbox (3/28/09)
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 12:41

I've seen Beck, so I'll second the Maho/Koyuki nomination.

I should start a list of who's been nominated and who's been seconded. Maybe once there are a few more nominations.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 13:13

While I have my break, I'll take the time to second Kaname-Sousuke, Mai-Yuuichi, and Shizuru-Natsuki.

Piero, why don't you nominate Yakumo-Harima? Hissy fit

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
Ggultra2764

Male

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 14:45

Because I'm part of the Flag Faction, not the Onigiri Faction... heathen. Razz

(For those not familiar with School Rumble Factions, Flag Faction refers to supporters of the EriXHarima pairing, while Onigiri (Riceball) Faction refers to supporters of the YakumoXHarima pairing.)

I do have to admit, too competing possible pairings might be interesting...

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 18:22

Piero wrote:Because I'm part of the Flag Faction, not the Onigiri Faction... heathen. Razz

I do have to admit, too competing possible pairings might be interesting...

Very well then, I'll accept the challenge. Here's a nomination:

This delinquent high school boy is hopelessly in love with this girl's older sister. Seeing the boy's connection with his animals, the girl feels a connection to him thanks to her love with animals and tries interacting with him. The boy later recruits the girl as his assistant for making manga where he respectfully addresses her as "imouto-san" as she becomes his closest friend. But because of their close relationship, enough misunderstandings are made by their classmates thinking they are a romantic pairing. But as the series progresses, the girl questions what sort of feelings she has for the boy despite the feelings he has for her older sister. Here's School Rumble's Yakumo Tsukamoto and Kenji Harima.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Wed 2 Sep 2009 - 10:47; edited 1 time in total

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcrim on Wed 2 Sep 2009 - 7:22

ahaha, i like them all.
Volcrim

Male

Forum Posts : 80

Fan of : GSG and other inferior anime

Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 19:47

Well, turn out this far seems to be pretty low, so I am extending the deadline by at least another week.

Additionally, for the time being the requirement that nominations be seconded is being dropped. I'm doing this because I'm worried people may be holding back from submitting nominations because doing up nominations is a lot of work and they're worried about them not getting used. (Be warned however that I will continue to reserve the right to reject nominations that have no basis in series canon or have poor descriptions however -it's only the seconding requirement that is being dropped.)

The new deadline will be Monday, September 14 at 9:30 PM.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 1:43

Eh, I'll add one to the mix.

Man, how to explain these two without giving spoilers.

The year is 1930, height of the prohibition; sharp suits and fedoras all round. He’s newly and accidentally immortal as well as a recently instated Camorra member. She’s the ageless, homunculus servant of an alchemist. He’s generally relaxed, confident and a nice guy, but also a skilled fighter. She’s initially quiet, emotionless and created only to do her master’s bidding (which also oddly also involves knocking peoples’ kidneys out through their ears). The two meet at a warehouse fire, him there to see if he can lend a hand and she trying to retrieve something being developed there for her master. The two rapidly part ways with little more than polite words exchanged, but now she’s on his thoughts. Long story short events conspire to bring the two back together, with a now much more human girl ready to give her life to protect those who’ve been kind to her... good thing he’s picked up some useful knowledge along the way. Now all he’s got to do is help her come to grips with being human...ish. Good thing they’ve got time and plenty of help... It’s Baccano!’s Firo Prochainezo and Ennis.

'nother version
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5754

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer on Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 22:17

This is a manga pairing rather than an anime one, but as Karou Mori's other manga Emma got an anime (a two-season one, no less), I don't doubt that Otoyomegatari has one in the pipeline!

----------
----------

Mongolia is a byword for extreme isolation and retreat from the world - to us Westerners, the wild untamed steppes of Central Asia are an alien world beyond our ken... and those who actually live there would readily agree!

They're both from different tribes, brought together for an arranged marriage. They only first clapped eyes on each other at the day of their wedding, and there are more unpromising differences than the cut of their clothes stacked up from there. He's housed in a settled village, while she rode in from a band of nomads. He's twelve years old and dutifully doing what society expects of him, but is not at all ready to be a man;
she's twenty, and in her culture well past her sell-by date, and all too conscious of the fact that if she fails here she'll be doomed to bleak spinsterhood. Her foreign moods and mannerisms fascinate everyone in the village - and they also bring unwelcome hangovers from her old life to disrupt the village's gentle tranquility. Despite all of this, the two have genuine affection for each other, and are nosing around each other to find some way to bridge those cultural gaps.

They want to make it work, but will the world let them...?

It's Otoyomegatari's Amira and Karluk.

Last edited by Robert Frazer on Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 22:21; edited 4 times in total

PASSION LIVES HERE
Prose Stories
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 22:18

Sounds cool, Robert.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Fri 11 Sep 2009 - 17:36

Here are a few more.

A dysfunctional pairing who first met up with one another at a Japanese music school. He is an uptight, yet talented musician inspiring to become an orchestra conductor yet his fear of flying and ships keep him from expanding his talents beyond Japan. She is a carefree slob who while a talented pianist, is an anime otaku and inspires to be a teacher even though she sucks at caring for kids. Through their interactions with one another, the man warms up to being creative with music and the girl becomes more serious in committing to her piano playing. Here's Nodame Cantabile's Megumi "Nodame" Noda and Shinichi Chiaki.

He thinks of himself to be a plain high school student while unaware of his connections to the royal family of an alien world. She is a wanted space pirate who is the major trigger of getting an unwanted harem of alien girls to live at the boy's house. Of all the girls living at the house, she is the most aggressive with displaying her affections for the male lead. Despite being frequently annoyed by the space pirate's actions, he does think of her as another member of his extended family. Here's Tenchi Muyo's Tenchi Masaki and Ryoko.

He is a wandering swordsman who took an oath never to kill again following his involvement in the Meiji Restoration as a hitokiri (assassin). She is the young sensei of her own kendo dojo following in the footsteps of her dead father. In their first encounter, he saved her life from a banished student of her father's, craving for revenge. Accepted to live at the girl's dojo despite his bloody past, the swordsman comes to see the dojo as his new home while protecting her from former wartime rivals. And overtime, the girl develops a strong attraction to the swordsman. Here's Rurouni Kenshin's Kenshin Himura and Kaoru Kamiya.

I'll put up some more couples later.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Mon 14 Sep 2009 - 3:08

Since Ever 17: The Out of Inifinity was only ever a visual
novel (think erogame without the pr0n) rather than an anime, the best couple (Takashi/Tsugumi)
obviously can’t win, but I’ll submit some favourites anyway. Many of these descriptions are kind of rushed,
but that’s because I’ve been busy and didn’t have much time to edit.

He’s a fifteen year old dweeb who has been dragged around
the world by his family and therefore has few friends. Instead, he immerses himself in books. She’s a sixteen year old girl who was hit by
a car when she was twelve, losing the ability to remember anything longer than thirteen
hours in the process, causing her to have a constant need for a diary. She keeps trying to write a novel but can
never finish it. After a chance meeting
in an abandoned train station, he decides to help her with her novel, and the
two eventually fall for each other. Here’s
EF: A Tale of Memories’ Renji Asou and Chihiro Shindou.

How would you react if you moved to catch a girl who fell
from a great height, then discovered she only weighed 5kg? Well, if you were a typical guy, you’d be
weirded out, and if you’re a guy who had been restored to 90% human after being
turned into a vampire, you’d probably consider the possibility that she might
have encountered some sort of spirit and take her to talk to the guy who helped
with your occult problem. In this
particular case, however, it is worth noting the girl is a somewhat violent
type who likes to carry a variety of extremely sharp school supplies concealed
on her body and isn’t afraid to threaten people. She even knows to staple the inside of someone’s
mouth when threatening them to make sure that the evidence isn’t so obvious! Clearly, only a very helpful and selfless guy
is going to put up with her behaviour. Luckily,
she’s smart and capable of backing down if you can make her trust you. And she likes talking dirty. Very dirty.
Here’s Bakemonogatari’s Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara.

They met after separately sneaking into a swimming pool at
night on the last day of summer vacation. He surprised her and had to rescue her after
she fell in, since she actually couldn’t swim. She shows up at his school the next day, but
he finds he can’t remember her properly. The president of his club thinks she might
have something to do with secret programs at a nearby airbase. He might be right: she does seem to get
followed around by some very shady people. And has frequent nosebleeds for no apparent
reason. And knows how to jack scooters. Using a combat knife of what must be at least
six inches that she keeps hidden on her… Actually, he’s not half bad at taking
action either, it takes some guts to remove a tracking bug that way! Here’s Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu’s Naoyuki
Asaba and Kana Iriya.

He’s a naturalist minding his own business. She’s a baker and member of the local militia who
thinks he’s a spy because of the weird way he’s studying stuff. However, they get in a tight spot, and she
ends up helping him and his sister break through the enemies surrounding them
using an uber badass tank that his dad kept in his garage. The two appear to like each other, although
she won’t admit it and he’s too dense to notice. Here’s Valkyria Chronicle’s Welkin Gunther and
Alicia Melchiott.

She’s a fox spirit who sealed herself 500 years ago in order
to seal 10,000 mischevious spirits with her. He’s the descendent of the man she loved 500
years ago and when her seal is broken, she’s determined to build up his already
notable spiritual powers. Naturally,
this includes having the hundreds of lesser spirits she commands beat the pulp
out of him on a regular basis as “training”, as well as teaching him how to
transform into a girl for when the occasion calls for it. She expects nothing but the best from her
husband, even if he may not have realized he was entering into a marriage contract
at the time… but don’t worry too much, she’s normally quite gentle. Here’s Tayutama: Kiss on my Deity’s Yuuri and
Mashiro Mito.

This traveling merchant had the fortune of releasing a wolf
deity from a contract that bound her to a local piece of land as a harvest
goddess. Luckily for him, she’s
interested in traveling north to her homeland, and willing to lend her wisdom
to helping him make a profit. Plus, she’s
good witty company too, having mannerisms reminiscent of a high class
courtesan. On the flip side, she’s also
prone to getting angry and playing mind games. Good things he’s one of the few men out there
with a strong enough mind to stand up to and sometimes even get the better of
her. Here’s Spice and Wolf’s Craft
Lawrence and Horo.

0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 15 Sep 2009 - 0:20

I'm going to extend the deadline by another week because I'm still hoping to expand the number of people we've got nominations from a little. Right now it's looking a lot like a showdown between stuff my brother is a fanboy for and stuff I'm a fanboy for. Laughing

Please have your nominations in by 9:30pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, Sept 21.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Tue 15 Sep 2009 - 2:42

oh, what the hell... I'll bite.
though I know any of my preferences winning a popularity contest is something less than unlikely

Two assassins brought together by the faulty memories of one of them, not fully trusting one another at first... yet as they both uncover more of their intertwined pasts, they come to rely on one another; not just to watch each others' back, but also to share the emotional burden of what life has dealt each of them. Whenever they're at odds bullets fly, but eventually they both accept that they need each other. Unless you're fond of being stabbed by cake forks, don't try to come between
Mireille Bouquet and Yuumura Kirika of Noir

...and every time they turn around...

...just so you guys won't think I'm only a yuri fanboy: just mostly
A somewhat typical, downtrodden Japanese salaryman and the primary gunslinger for a pirate/transportation company based in the South China Sea. The (ex-)salaryman, now acting as primary negotiator for the group of (now 4) pirates, winds up working closely with the beautiful female gunslinger. At some point, he makes her question her nihilistic views on life, nearly catching his death of bullets from her in the process. Eventually she comes to realize that she relies on his cool-headed decision making and intact moral compass every bit as much as he relies on her ability to swiftly end the lives of any who threaten them. They may be fucked up beyond all recognition as far as society is concerned, but at least they can be fucked up together. Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye if you ever wind up on the wrong side of
Rock and Revy of Black Lagoon

...and just like all great relationships...

...Revy x Eda would be so much hotter... but totally wouldn't work.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Tue 15 Sep 2009 - 9:41

Wait, Firo and Ennis are in this and Issac and Miria are not?

Who is that hot glasses wearing babe I wonder...
sasahara17

Male

Forum Posts : 1001

Fan of : GSGs? Claes-sama and Elsa-chan. Outside that? Bloodhound Jr. and Saber

Original Characters : Wilfred Sheppard, I-CARE agent.

Comments : A walking idea powerhouse.

Registration date : 2007-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 15 Sep 2009 - 11:33

sasahara17 wrote:Wait, Firo and Ennis are in this and Issac and Miria are not?

...I had to go to work and only had time to do one pair sweat
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5754

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela on Tue 15 Sep 2009 - 14:33

Dee and Ryo from FAKE

Dee and Ryo first met at the police station they both work at. Dee immediately falls for the sometimes clueless and dense Ryo. Though their time and trials as partners on the job they begin to develop a stronger bond, that Ryo doesn't want to admit to himself. Through Dee's persistent and demanding nature they end up both falling in love with each other.

Hiro and Nowaki from Junjou Romantica

Hiro is a school teacher and Nowaki is a student. They first met when Hiro was crying over a lost love that he had. Nowaki consoled him, but began to develop feelings for Hiro. Hiro, wanted to be responsible didn't want to start a relationship with Nowaki, but with reluctance he did. Their relationship is spanned over 6 years in the manga and they're still going strong in their relationship. <3
(In my opinion, one of the cutest couples EVER!!) X3

Sano and Mizuki from Hana-Kimi

Last edited by Triela on Fri 25 Sep 2009 - 13:01; edited 2 times in total

AWWWWW YEAHHHH
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2723

Original Characters : Savyna

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 19 Sep 2009 - 19:38

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm switching from a deadline date to a number. I'd like to do 32 couples, as that number will break down nicely by twos. We're currently at 24 couples, though I need to verify the validity of at least one nomination. So eight more nominations are needed. That is about to become six.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 19 Sep 2009 - 20:03

A pair of teenagers who were brainwashed and used as assassins by a criminal organisation. The guy was a Japanese tourist whose survival instincts impressed those seeking to eliminate him for coming into possession of information he wasn’t supposed to have, while the girl’s past prior to her brainwashing is unknown. A turning point in their story occurred when one of the members of the organisation attempted to rekindle the guy’s recollection of his past by returning his passport to him shortly before political manoeuvring within the organisation caused the girl to be seen as a threat to be eliminated. The guy ended up deciding to try to escape the organisation with the girl despite having a chance to avoid getting involved. He even went so far as to tear up his own passport when the girl objected that he should try to escape on his own because he had a past to return to. Here’s Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom’s Ellen (Ein) and Reiji Azuma (Zwei).

A pair of high school students who have been friends since childhood and attend the same dojo. Unlike some childhood friend pairings where about all the characters have in common is
their status as childhood friends, these, these two actually have a lot in common, as they’re both extremely forthright and care a great deal about others. The main difference is that the
guy needs to learn not to take everything so seriously while the girl seems to have already learned that. Unfortunately, neither of them recognises the fact that they’re pretty much a perfect match, as they’ve both got their respective infatuations. Particularly the guy, whose interest in a girl one grade below him is frankly obsessive (and doomed, since the younger girl
in question is A) shy and B) can read the mind of guys who are interested in her). Hopefully someday they’ll learn to recognise what they’ve got in each other (unadapted manga chapters seem supportive of this). Here’s School Rumble’s Mikoto Suou and Hanai Haruki.

The results of Hanai taking cultural festival preparations too seriously. Apologies for the subtitles, it was from the end credits for the first season.

Reactions to being teased by classmates would seem to indicate these two have a ways to go still...

Six slots remaining!

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Sun 20 Sep 2009 - 0:48

In the kingdom of Midland, these two are members of Griffith's group of mercenaries known as the Band of the Hawk. The man was forced to join the group when he was defeated in a duel with Griffith and the woman joined up when she was rescued from being raped by a lord that she was sold to by her parents. The two start off on bad terms with one another as the woman is disgusted by the quick acceptance that the man got from Griffith as commander of the group's raiders. Over time, the tension between the two mellows as they learn more of each other's personal hardships despite the many sufferings that they face in the series. Here's Berserk's Guts and Caska.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 20 Sep 2009 - 15:33

This tournament needs more yuri...

The boisterous second warrior of the Gael tribe, and a highly disciplined swordswoman of the Imperial Army who was forced out by petty politics. The two fought on opposite sides during their first meeting, but the Gael warrior became something of a fangirl for the swordswoman after seeing her fight a duel, even going so far as to risk the cover of her reconnaissance mission when the duel turned out to have rigged by her opponent. The swordswoman, meanwhile, took a little while to warm up to the Gael, but eventually gave her a humorously backhanded compliment by telling her she was a “fine young man.” (This was obviously deliberate.) The two now seem almost inseparable, especially on the battlefield. Here’s
Tears to Tiara’s Morgan and Octavia.

It's unclear where Morgan's terrible fashion sense comes from. No one else in the series dresses the way she does, and that includes those from the same group...

Morgan helping an injured Octavia to her feet. Touching, thought it wouldn't have been necessary if Morgan had been smart enough not to do a flying tackle/glomp to an injured person in the first place...

Four slots to go (possibly three, depending on the outcome of a clarification).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 20 Sep 2009 - 15:45

Piero wrote:This tournament needs more yuri...

A tall, shy girl known to be a crybaby comes back to her childhood home after a long absence to attend Matsuoka Girl's High School. There she meets a popular third-year senior and captain of the basketball team. One has long harbored emotional, even romantic, feelings for certain girls in her life. The other is dealing with her older sister marrying the teacher she once had a crush on. Together, they develop feelings for each other.

Meet Aoi Hana's Fumi Manjōme (right) and Yasuko Sugimoto (left):

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Sun 20 Sep 2009 - 22:59

Decided to go ahead and submit the visual novel derived one anyway.

He's a happy go lucky college student with a can-do attitude. She's a bitter, nihilistic girl with a bit of a death wish who seems to hate herself and gives the cold shoulder to everyone except little kids and her pet hamster. But hey, she did call her hamster Chami - "because he's charming" - so perhaps she IS hiding a sickeningly sweet side under all that ice. Most guys don't have anywhere near the awesome level that would be required to melt her, but he's pretty gar for a nice guy and has six days to work his magic, since they are trapped in an underwater theme park together. He'd just better watch out for her... "breakdowns". And slight orientation towards sadism. Here's Ever 17: The Out of Infinity's Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi.

(And damn could I ever make a better case for why they're such a great pair if not for the fact I don't want to spoil the game's many awesome plot twists.)

0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 20 Sep 2009 - 23:14

Well, this was originally supposed to be an anime couples tournament, but I kind of figured since I let Robert's manga couple nomination go, I could let one VN couple too...

So this is one or two slots remaining, depending on the clarification for that one couple.

I'm almost tempted to raise the target number to 48 so we can get more nominations, but given how long it's taken to get this far, I'm not sure adding another 16 slots is a good idea. (I could do forty, but dividing by two each round would eventually lead to five couples, which would make the final bits awkward).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcrim on Sun 20 Sep 2009 - 23:30

no clannad fans here?

nagisa x tomoya anyone?
Volcrim

Male

Forum Posts : 80

Fan of : GSG and other inferior anime

Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 20 Sep 2009 - 23:35

Nagisa is why I don't like CLANNAD. sweat

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Sun 20 Sep 2009 - 23:43

I wonder if Kyou x Kotomi has enough of a basis in the Clannad anime to qualify...
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela on Sun 20 Sep 2009 - 23:52

THIS TORNY NEEDS MORE YAOI!!!!!

Issun and Riki from Ai No Kusabi

Riki was out trying to steal a car in Midas when he was set upon by citizens of Midas. When they were about to kill him, a blondie interfered and saved Riki. Riki felt he owed him a debt for this, and offered to pay him with the only thing he had - his body.
The blondie was Iason Mink, the leader of Tanagura's syndicate and the most powerful man in the city. After Iason received his 'payment' from Riki, he decided to take him as his pet. Iason's friend Raoul warns him that he thinks keeping a mongrel pet is a bad idea.
Iason kept Riki as his pet for three years, which caused a lot of rumors to fly in Tanagura. Riki was too old to be kept as a pet, plus he's a mongrel, and Iason kept him for much too long. The rumors also said the unthinkable - that Iason had broken the laws of Jupiter and had sex with his pet.
Riki begs Iason for his freedom, and Iason grants him a year of freedom and allows him to go back to Ceres. Riki is welcomed back into Bison and returns to a normal life. He has changed, however, and is unable to forget the time he spent as Iason's pet.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. It's a love hate relationship between these two. <3

Kurama and Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho

Kurama and Hiei are a popular pairing with a lot of Yu Yu Hakusho fans. They compleat eachother in almost every way. Hiei is hot temperated and Kurama is cool and calm.

I need to sleep. Piero I promise I'll have these descriptions done tomorrow! ^_~

Last edited by Triela on Mon 21 Sep 2009 - 0:11; edited 1 time in total

AWWWWW YEAHHHH
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2723

Original Characters : Savyna

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 20 Sep 2009 - 23:54

And that would be our 32, I think... I kind of need those descriptions though Triela. I was kind of planning on starting this thing very soon...

Edit: Roger that. If you can get them in before 9:30pm PST, I may even be able to start tommorow night. Smile

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 21 Sep 2009 - 16:41

Figured I should post a list of the final nominations, as well as a couple points.

I do allow people to tweak the descriptions and pics chosen for their nominations. If there's something important you forgot in your nomination description or something, you can edit it in here, you may also change to a different picture(s) if you think you've found a better one. Just remember the rules on pictures and text. Accuracy should be a goal for descriptions.

Anyway, here's the list:

Amir and Karluk -Otoyomegatari
Dee and Ryo –FAKE
Ellen (Ein) and Ryuji Azuma (Zwei) -Phantom: Requiem for
the Phantom
Firo Prochainezo and Ennis -Bacanno
Fumi Majome and Yasuko Sugimoto –Aoi Hana
Guts and Casca –Berserk
Harima Kenji and Eri Sawachika -School Rumble
Harima Kenji and Yakumo Tsukamoto -School Rumble
Hiro and Nowaki -Junjou Romantica
Issun and Riki –Ai No Kusabi
Jo and Meg -Burst Angel
Kenshin Himura and Kaoru Kamiya -Ruruoni Kenshin
Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara -Bakemonogatari
Kurama and Hiei -Yu Yu Hakusho
Lawrence and Horo: Spice and Wolf
Mai Tokiha and Yuiichi Tate -Mai-HiME
Maria Oosawa and Canaan -Canaan
Megumi "Nodame" Noda and Shinichi Chiaki -Nodame Cantabile
Mikoto Suou and Hanai Haruki -School Rumble
Mireille Boquet and Yuumura Kurika –Noir
Morgan and Octavia –Tears to Tiara
Naoyuki Asaba and Kana Iriya -Iriya No Sora, UFO No Natsu
Renji Asou and Chihiro Shindou -EF: A Tale of Memories
Rock and Revy -Black Lagoon
Sano and Mizuki -Hana-Kimi
Shizuru Fujino and Natsuki Kuga -Mai-HiME
Sousuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori -Full Metal Panic
Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi –Ever 17: Out of
Infinity
Tenchi Masaki and Ryoko -Tenchi Muyo
Welkin Gunther and Alicia Melchiott -Valkyria Chronicles
Yukio 'Koyuki' Takana and Maho Minami -BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
Yuuri and Mashiro Mito -Tayutama: Kiss on my Diety

First two matchs will begin tonight at around 9:30PM Pacific Standard Time. I've already used the dice rolling program to select which couples are involved.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 22 Sep 2009 - 4:46

Wow, I saw this nomination thread waaaaaaayyyy too late. I totally would have nominated Lelouch x C.C. and Tomoya x Tomoyo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum