Anime Couples Tournament Voting Thread

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anime Couples Tournament Voting Thread

Post by Piero on Sun 18 Oct 2009 - 13:44

Match One: Eri and Harima ftw. Funny that I have two School Rumble couples among my top picks (these two along with Hanai and Mikoto) but like them for such totally different reasons.

Match Two: Sousuke and Kaname. Did I even really need to say it? Laughing

Piero

Forum Posts : 2617

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 18 Oct 2009 - 14:19

Match One: Harima and Eri. They play off each other so well.

Match Two: Sousuke and Kaname. Best duo EVAR? Maybe.

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Mon 19 Oct 2009 - 1:23

Kind of surprised to see Takashi and Tsugumi get this far... I'm wondering if this board has a lot of Ever 17 players or if my description is more potent than I had anticipated.

Match one: Welkin and Alicia.

Match two: Renji and Chihiro. Much as I like Sousake/Kaname, I find the whole thing a bit too tsundere for my liking (same with Harima/Eri, really). Plus I actually have to admit to liking a bit of sap in my anime romances.

0utf0xZer0

Forum Posts : 265

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Mon 19 Oct 2009 - 14:12

Welkin and Alicia for Match #1 by default since I'm not an Eri/Harima fan. Renji/Chihiro for Match #2 because while I'm not liking moe lately, I'll admit this pairing has better romantic chemistry than the slapstick antics of Kaname and Sousuke.

Ggultra2764

Forum Posts : 590

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 19 Oct 2009 - 14:34

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Much as I like Sousake/Kaname, I find the whole thing a bit too tsundere for my liking.

You like Tsugumi and Takashi but find Sousuke and Kaname too tsundere?

Dare I ask what you would have thought of Yomi and Noriyuki if I had thought to nominate them? Laughing (Although I guess in that case, we have Yomi's cool big sister relationship with Kagura to counterbalance her and Noriyuki's slap-slap kiss antics.)

Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 20 Oct 2009 - 0:32

Welkin and Alicia win their match 4-3, while Sousuke and Kaname win their match 5-2. Just as a note, there are now only eight couples remaining out of the original thirty-two. This thing is going to be coming to an end real fast now.

Match One:

Two assassins brought together by the faulty memories of one of them, not fully trusting one another at first... yet as they both uncover more of their intertwined pasts, they come to rely on one another; not just to watch each others' back, but also to share the emotional burden of what life has dealt each of them. Whenever they're at odds bullets fly, but eventually they both accept that they need each other. Unless you're fond of being stabbed by cake forks, don't try to come between Mireille Bouquet and Yuumura Kirika of Noir.

How would you react if you moved to catch a girl who fell from a great height, then discovered she only weighed 5kg? Well, if you were a typical guy, you’d be weirded out, and if you’re a guy who had been restored to 90% human after being turned into a vampire, you’d probably consider the possibility that she might have encountered some sort of spirit and take her to talk to the guy who helped with your occult problem. In this particular case, however, it is worth noting the girl is a somewhat violent type who likes to carry a variety of extremely sharp school supplies concealed on her body and isn’t afraid to threaten people. She even knows to staple the inside of someone’s mouth when threatening them to make sure that the evidence isn’t so obvious! Clearly, only a very helpful and selfless guy is going to put up with her behaviour. Luckily, she’s smart and capable of backing down if you can make her trust you. And she likes talking dirty. Very dirty. Here’s Bakemonogatari’s Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara.

Match Two:

This traveling merchant had the fortune of releasing a wolf deity from a contract that bound her to a local piece of land as a harvest goddess. Luckily for him, she’s interested in traveling north to her homeland, and willing to lend her wisdom to helping him make a profit. Plus, she’s good witty company too, having mannerisms reminiscent of a high class courtesan. On the flip side, she’s also prone to getting angry and playing mind games. Good things he’s one of the few men out
there with a strong enough mind to stand up to and sometimes even get the better of her. Here’s Spice and Wolf’s Craft Lawrence and Horo.

A pair of high school students who have been friends since childhood and attend the same dojo. Unlike some childhood friend pairings where about all the characters have in common is their status as childhood friends, these, these two actually have a lot in common, as they’re both extremely forthright and care a great deal about others. The main difference is that the guy needs to learn not to take everything so seriously while the girl seems to have already learned that. Unfortunately, neither of them recognises the fact that they’re pretty much a perfect match, as they’ve both got their respective infatuations. Particularly the guy, whose interest in a girl one grade below him is frankly obsessive (and doomed, since the younger girl in question is A) shy and B) can read the mind of guys who are interested in her). Hopefully someday they’ll learn to recognise what they’ve got in each other (unadapted manga chapters seem supportive of this). Here’s School Rumble’s Mikoto Suou and Hanai Haruki.

Voting for these matchs will end at 9:30pm Pacific Standard Time on Thursday, October 22.

Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 20 Oct 2009 - 1:19

Damn. Harima and Eri are out? I gotta find a new pair to put my support behind Puzzled

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 20 Oct 2009 - 9:45

Match One: Bakemonogatari’s Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara.

Match Two:Spice and Wolf’s Craft Lawrence and Horo.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10896

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Tue 20 Oct 2009 - 10:21

Match One: Staplers.

Match Two: Lelouch and Kal-Oh wait wrong Anime. Laurence and Horo.

sasahara17

Forum Posts : 1001

Registration date : 2007-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Wed 21 Oct 2009 - 0:53

Match one: Koyomi and Hitagi

Match two: Lawrence and Horo.

Piero wrote:
You like Tsugumi and Takashi but find Sousuke and Kaname too tsundere?

Dare I ask what you would have thought of Yomi and Noriyuki if I had thought to nominate them? (Although I guess in that case, we have Yomi's cool big sister relationship with Kagura to counterbalance her and Noriyuki's slap-slap kiss antics.)

Tsugumi may have an extremely scary temper, but she only utilizes it on occassion. The rest of the time she just brushes people off. Kaname seems to constantly have little flip out sessions. Yomi also tends to overreact, but not as often as Kaname.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 21 Oct 2009 - 3:19

Nooooo!!! I forgot to come by here and vote! Harima to Eri lost now. T_T
Piero wrote:Yomi and Noriyuki
And now I need to watch that show. Very Happy

Match One: Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara, Bakemonogatari.
Match Two: Mikoto Suou and Hanai Haruki, School Rumble.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Wed 21 Oct 2009 - 8:51

Match One: Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara

Match Two: Craft Lawrence and Horo
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5754

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Wed 21 Oct 2009 - 13:45

KodokuRyuu wrote:
And now I need to watch that show.

Heheh, Yomi and Noriyuki really do make a good couple (and actually have some surprisingly tender moments when they're not at each other's throats). I really wish I'd though to nominate them for this tournament. I also really like the series the two of them are from, although I should warn you that despite what those scene links may suggests, the overall storyline for the series is really, really dark. It's essentially about one character's fall to darkness... sort of like Revenge of the Sith, only done in a manner that is vastly more convincing then that movie was.

Also, there is an alternate coupling for Yomi that pairs her with her younger cousin/sworn sister Kagura, although in spite of being a yuri fanboy I generally think those two are just horsing around more then anything else.

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Tsugumi may have an extremely scary temper, but she only utilizes it on occassion. The rest of the time she just brushes people off. Kaname seems to constantly have little flip out sessions. Yomi also tends to overreact, but not as often as Kaname.

"Just brushes people off" is a bit of an understatement, IMO. And yeah, Kaname flips out pretty frequently, but that's largely because she has to deal with Sousuke's antics on a regular basis. I'm of the opinion that you're generally fine around Kaname as long as you don't act like a lecher or a dumbass. The problem is just that a lot of Kaname's screen time in Full Metal Panic happens to be spent with people who fall into one or the other of those two categories. (Okay, technically Sousuke's not a dumbass so much as he is someone who has no idea what constitutes proper behaviour in normal society, but still...) She's actually a pretty nice person, IMO.

Anyhow:

Match One: Koyomi and Hitagi
Match Two: Mikoto and Hanai

Piero

Male

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Wed 21 Oct 2009 - 20:34

No vote on Match #1. I'll vote for Horo and Lawrence in Match #2 since you could consider the pairing now official after S&WII.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
-Joker "Batman: The Killing Joke"
If the SWA told Sandro to go fuck a chicken, he would.
-Elfen in Chatbox (3/28/09)
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 21 Oct 2009 - 21:42

Piero wrote:
KodokuRyuu wrote:
And now I need to watch that show.

Heheh, Yomi and Noriyuki really do make a good couple (and actually have some surprisingly tender moments when they're not at each other's throats). I really wish I'd though to nominate them for this tournament. I also really like the series the two of them are from, although I should warn you that despite what those scene links may suggests, the overall storyline for the series is really, really dark. It's essentially about one character's fall to darkness... sort of like Revenge of the Sith, only done in a manner that is vastly more convincing then that movie was.
Ok, now I really want to watch it. I love dark stories like that.

Piero wrote:[Kaname is] actually a pretty nice person, IMO.
Quoted for truth.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 22 Oct 2009 - 1:08

KodokuRyuu wrote:Ok, now I really want to watch it. I love dark stories like that.

In that case, you can consider the series, 'strongly recommended.'

KodokuRyuu wrote:
Piero wrote:[Kaname is] actually a pretty nice person, IMO.
Quoted for truth.

Nice to see someone out there agrees with me.

Out of curiosity, did you ever read any of the novels FMP is based off of? I've sometimes suspected that the fact that I read a fan translation of the novel The Second Raid is based off of before I actually saw The Second Raid itself may be part of the reason I have such a favourable view of Kaname compared to some other people. The Second Raid really exaggerated her violent tendencies compared to it's source material for some reason. Sometimes at moments where I don't really think it was appropriate to do so, like Kaname and Sousuke's reunion in Hong Kong. (The "What do you mean "You're alive." I came all this way to see you and that's all you can think of to say?" sequence. IIRC she struck him in the novel, but she didn't drop-kick him in the face, or whatever it was she did in the anime...)

Actually, I sometimes wonder if it's fair for me to view Sousuke and Kaname the way I do for these tournaments when these are supposed to be anime tournaments and my impression of them past the events of the first season is largely based on what I read in the novels.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 22 Oct 2009 - 2:11

Piero wrote:

Out of curiosity, did you ever read any of the novels FMP is based off of? I've sometimes suspected that the fact that I read a fan translation of the novel The Second Raid is based off of before I actually saw The Second Raid itself may be part of the reason I have such a favourable view of Kaname compared to some other people. The Second Raid really exaggerated her violent tendencies compared to it's source material for some reason. Sometimes at moments where I don't really think it was appropriate to do so, like Kaname and Sousuke's reunion in Hong Kong. (The "What do you mean "You're alive." I came all this way to see you and that's all you can think of to say?" sequence. IIRC she struck him in the novel, but she didn't drop-kick him in the face, or whatever it was she did in the anime...)

Actually, I sometimes wonder if it's fair for me to view Sousuke and Kaname the way I do for these tournaments when these are supposed to be anime tournaments and my impression of them past the events of the first season is largely based on what I read in the novels.

Only the first one that Tokyopop translated... I dunno, the writing style didn't agree with me that well so I stopped. Part of me thinks that KyoAni may have decied that ramping up Kaname's violence in TSR would be funny. Their rendition of the series was prettier than Gonzo's, but I don't know if it was a series particularly suited to them... considering their usual stock fare.
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 22 Oct 2009 - 2:47

It's probably best if you don't get me started on TSR. There are various reasons I didn't like that adaptation very much even though I loved the novels it was based on.

I'm actually not talking about the Tokyopop releases for the FMP novels, they don't seem to have released anything past the third novel (which the final story arc in season one is based on). Besides which, they hadn't even made their licensing announcement back when I read Boku-Tachi's translation of The End of Day by Day (the two part novel TSR was based on). Unfortunately Boku-Tachi stopped translating FMP novels when the licensing arrangement was made, which is a pity because while their translations weren't perfect, they were pretty good.

It's kind of hard for me to judge the quality of the original writing in the FMP novels because I can't read Japanese and having seen some rough translations of novels past the point where Boku-Tachi stopped translating... well, let's just say that adapting literally often isn't such a great idea. That being said, I honestly wasn't that impressed with Tokyopop's FMP translations. The editing seemed pretty sloppy for a professional release. Even as a mere fanfic writer I felt there were parts that could really have stood to be rephrased a little.

Dangit, now I'm dragging my own thread off topic...

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 22 Oct 2009 - 8:53

But dragging threads off topic is so much fun =P

I think FMP! may have suffered in the same bit of cost cutting that ARIA did when the downturn hit. Apparently they're picking ARIA back up next month so...

...and as much as I love scanlations, they're a bit difficult to leave in the smallest room for casual reading =P as for TP's translation of FMP, I remember it being stilted, never really getting into a flow. Would have to take another look but I seem to remember the formatting not being that crash hot either.

Ok, I'll stop now sweat
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 23 Oct 2009 - 0:30

Koyomi and Hitagi make a complete sweep, while Lawrence and Horo win their match 5-2.

Match One:

He's a happy go lucky college student with a can-do attitude. She's a bitter, nihilistic girl with a bit of a death wish who seems to hate herself and gives the cold shoulder to everyone except little kids and her pet hamster. But hey, she did call her hamster Chami - "because he's charming" - so perhaps she IS hiding a sickeningly sweet side under all that ice. Most guys don't have anywhere near the awesome level that would be required to melt her, but he's pretty gar for a nice guy and has six days to work his magic, since they are trapped in an underwater theme park together. He'd just better watch out for her... "breakdowns". And slight orientation towards sadism. Here's Ever 17: The Out of Infinity's Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi.

A pair of teenagers who were brainwashed and used as assassins by a criminal organisation. The guy was a Japanese tourist whose survival instincts impressed those seeking to eliminate him for coming into possession of information he wasn’t supposed to have, while the girl’s past prior to her brainwashing is unknown. A turning point in their story occurred when one of the members of the organisation attempted to rekindle the guy’s recollection of his past by returning his passport to him shortly before political manoeuvring within the organisation caused the girl to be seen as a threat to be eliminated. The guy ended up deciding to try to escape the organisation with the girl despite having a chance to avoid getting involved. He even went so far as to tear up his own passport when the girl objected that he should try to escape on his own because he had a past to return to. Here’s Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom’s Ellen (Ein) and Reiji Azuma (Zwei).

Match Two:

He’s a naturalist minding his own business. She’s a baker and member of the local militia who thinks he’s a spy because of the weird way he’s studying stuff. However, they get in a tight spot, and she ends up helping him and his sister break through the enemies surrounding them using an uber badass tank that his dad kept in his garage. The two appear to like each other, although she won’t admit it and he’s too dense to notice. Here’s Valkyria Chronicle’s Welkin Gunther and Alicia Melchiott.

A socially inept teenage counter-terrorist and former child soldier and the nice but short tempered school girl he was assigned to go undercover to protect. Their early interactions were characterised by the girl flip-flopping as to whether the guy was weird but harmless or a creep who was stalking her. After finding out about his mission, she decided that she was going to help him learn to fit in with normal people. Her strategy for doing this often seems to involve beating some sense into him –literally. Despite continuing violence on the part of both the girl and those targeting her, the two eventually develop a strong and mutually supporting relationship. Here’s Full Metal Panic’s Sousuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori.

Voting for this match will end at 9:30pm Pacific Standard Time on Saturday, October 24.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 23 Oct 2009 - 9:58

Match One: Ever 17: The Out of Infinity's Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi.

Match Two: Valkyria Chronicle’s Welkin Gunther and Alicia Melchiott.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Fri 23 Oct 2009 - 10:23

This one was pretty easy for me.

Match One:
Takeshi and Tsugumi (yay!)

Match Two: Souske and Kaname (double yay!)

Who is that hot glasses wearing babe I wonder...
sasahara17

Male

Fan of : GSGs? Claes-sama and Elsa-chan. Outside that? Bloodhound Jr. and Saber

Original Characters : Wilfred Sheppard, I-CARE agent.

Comments : A walking idea powerhouse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 23 Oct 2009 - 11:44

Match One: Ellen and Reiji Azuma

Match Two: Sousuke and Kaname
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Fri 23 Oct 2009 - 18:36

Match One: Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi, Ever 17.
Match Two: Sousuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori, Full Metal Panic.

And no, I haven't read the FMP novels, Piero. I haven't even seen past the first season yet.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Fri 23 Oct 2009 - 19:42

Match one: Takashi and Tsugumi

Match two: Welkin and Alicia
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 23 Oct 2009 - 21:33

Match One: Ellen and Ryuji.

Match Two:
Sousuke and Kaname.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 25 Oct 2009 - 0:30

Okay people, second to last round here. I'm going to start lengthening the voting periods a little bit for the sake of ensuring people have a decent chance to chime in.

As for the results of the last round, Tsugumi and Takashi win their match 4-2, as do Sousuke and Kaname. Since there are now only four couples left, they're both up again this round.

Match One:

How would you react if you moved to catch a girl who fell from a great height, then discovered she only weighed 5kg? Well, if you were a typical guy, you’d be weirded out, and if you’re a guy who had been restored to 90% human after being turned into a vampire, you’d probably consider the possibility that she might have encountered some sort of spirit and take her to talk to the guy who helped with your occult problem. In this particular case, however, it is worth noting the girl is a somewhat violent type who likes to carry a variety of extremely sharp school supplies concealed on her body and isn’t afraid to threaten people. She even knows to staple the inside of someone’s mouth when threatening them to make sure that the evidence isn’t so obvious! Clearly, only a very helpful and selfless guy is going to put up with her behaviour. Luckily, she’s smart and capable of backing down if you can make her trust you. And she likes talking dirty. Very dirty. Here’s Bakemonogatari’s Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara.

This traveling merchant had the fortune of releasing a wolf deity from a contract that bound her to a local piece of land as a harvest goddess. Luckily for him, she’s interested in traveling north to her homeland, and willing to lend her wisdom to helping him make a profit. Plus, she’s good witty company too, having mannerisms reminiscent of a high class courtesan. On the flip side, she’s also prone to getting angry and playing mind games. Good things he’s one of the few men out there with a strong enough mind to stand up to and sometimes even get the better of her. Here’s Spice and Wolf’s Craft Lawrence and Horo.

Match Two:

He's a happy go lucky college student with a can-do attitude. She's a bitter, nihilistic girl with a bit of a death wish who seems to hate herself and gives the cold shoulder to everyone except little kids and her pet hamster. But hey, she did call her hamster Chami - "because he's charming" - so perhaps she IS hiding a sickeningly sweet side under all that ice. Most guys don't have anywhere near the awesome level that would be required to melt her, but he's pretty gar for a nice guy and has six days to work his magic, since they are trapped in an underwater theme park together. He'd just better watch out for her... "breakdowns". And slight orientation towards sadism. Here's Ever
17: The Out of Infinity's Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi.

A socially inept teenage counter-terrorist and former child soldier and the nice but short tempered school girl he was assigned to go undercover to protect. Their early interactions were characterised by the girl flip-flopping as to whether the guy was weird but harmless or a creep who was stalking her. After finding out about his mission, she decided that she was going to help him learn to fit in with normal people. Her strategy for doing this often seems to involve beating some sense into him –literally. Despite continuing violence on the part of both the girl and those targeting her, the two eventually develop a strong and mutually supporting relationship. Here’s Full Metal Panic’s Sousuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori.

Voting for this match will end at 9:30pm on Tuesday, October 27.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sun 25 Oct 2009 - 1:14

Match One: Craft Lawrence and Horo, Spice and Wolf.
Match Two: Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi, Ever 17.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Sun 25 Oct 2009 - 1:56

Match one: Lawrence and Horo

Match two: Takashi and Tsugumi

I suspect this may be a tough round for the Takashi/Tsugumi pairing, so hI want to make a couple points in support of the two:
1) They start off far more distant than Sousake and Kaname, yet by the end of Tsugumi's plot arc, they feel like a much, much closer couple.
2) At one point, Takashi manages to make Tsugumi cry happy tears - essentially by cuddling with her and making fun of himself while doing it. Granted, it works largely because they just almost died, but it still qualifies as one of the most epic feats of tsundere taming known to man.

There is a third point I could make but it essentially spoils the ending of the game, which is in-f***ing-credible.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 25 Oct 2009 - 2:41

Match One: Koyomi and Hitagi.

Match Two: Sousuke and Kaname

I've played Tsugumi's path in Ever 17 and I'm sticking to Sousuke and Kaname. The bond between them may have taken some time to form, but that doesn't mean it's not an immensely strong one. Besides, given Sousuke's background, it made sense that it would take him time to get attached. I'm not a big fan of The Second Raid, since I much preferred the story in the two part novel it was based on, but I think it does a good job of illustrating just how strong and mutually supporting Sousuke and Kaname's relationship is. (Even if it really exaggerated Kaname's temper in comparison to the original novel.)

And yeah, maybe they're a bit awkward around each other and have trouble expressing how they feel, but does that change what they feel?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Sun 25 Oct 2009 - 5:23

Tsugumi has both better tsun and better dere moments than Kaname. The "crying happy tears because you're both still alive" stuff is obviously the dere side - especially coming from someone who tried her hardest not to get attached to her fellow survivors at the beginning - but she also has much more subtle and cerebral tsun. She doesn't usually get violent, but she does like to play head games.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 25 Oct 2009 - 9:33

Match One: Craft Lawrence and Horo

Match Two: Takashi and Tsugumi

Second match damn near killed me...
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 25 Oct 2009 - 11:28

Match One: Craft Lawrence and Horo

Match Two: Takashi and Tsugumi

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 25 Oct 2009 - 12:49

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Tsugumi has both better tsun and better dere moments than Kaname. The "crying happy tears because you're both still alive" stuff is obviously the dere side - especially coming from someone who tried her hardest not to get attached to her fellow survivors at the beginning - but she also has much more subtle and cerebral tsun. She doesn't usually get violent, but she does like to play head games.

I'll agree with you on the point about being into head games, but since when is her brand of 'tsun' at all subtle? She was pretty darn coldly hostile in the early parts of the game with the whole 'don't come near me, I want nothing to do with you, go away' thing. I also seem to remember being kind of ticked in the game when I thought I'd made progress with her then she started acting icy again.

Then again, Tsugumi and Kaname aren't even that comparable when you get right down to it. Whatever else she may be, Kaname is not an icy person. It was fairly obvious early on that she was a nice person, just one who happened to have a bit of a short fuse.

Then again, maybe they're more comparable then I thought. They both have issues to deal with due to the fact that they're not normal. They also both have had a 'the world sucks, I want to die' phase, the difference being that Kaname's was several years prior to the start of her series and she's over it by the time it starts.

Excerpt from the English translation of the novel Running One Night Stand (which was adapted in the second story arc FMP's first season, though this scene really got hacked down) that shows just how awesome Kaname is:
Spoiler:

In this situation, an ordinary girl might simply shudder and cry. Without even telling Kaname why she thought she was weird, Tessa said, "You certainly are unusual. Aren't you scared?"

"I don't know." Kaname took a moment to sort it out. "I mean, of course I'm scared. I guess when something like that happens, it makes me want to fight back."

"Fight back?"

"Yeah. When someone tries to humiliate me or challenges me, I really consider them an enemy. I'm not just talking about those guys with the guns, either. There are enemies in everyday life too."

Kaname had made enemies of homework, morning drowsiness, nighttime loneliness, mean people, and even her once a month pains. She had also battled her anxiety about the future and her fear of being jilted.

"If an "enemy" like that attacks you, you either put up with it or fight back. That's how I see it, at least."

"Daily troubles are not in the same league as this," Tessa pointed out.

"True. I think it's odd, too. I don't know where you come from, but even leading a normal life in Japan, sometimes bad things happen that make you wish you were dead, instead."

"They do?" Tessa asked, taken aback.

"They do indeed," said Kaname, leaning back against the wall. "Here's an example, from my middle school years: I had come back to Japan from New York, where I was living because of my parents. Anyway, I came back to Japan and transferred to a local middle school. What happened next is common, I guess. In New York, I had picked up the habit of saying exactly what I mean; apparently my classmates didn't like that."

Tessa formulated a guess as to what that meant.

"And sometimes, I'm sure I was to blame. Regardless, being treated like that... it was the worst. I wanted to die," she finished the story in the voice of a person who was dead already.

"And you fought that too?"

"That's right," Kaname replied without any trace of fighting spirit. "It wasn't the best way to go about it though. I'd be lying if I said I didn't regret it. Maybe it would've been smarter to run away. I think I learned a lot from it though."

"Like what?"

"Oh, a lot of things," Kaname dodged. "When I entered high school, everything changed. I'm happy enough with the way things are now. The other people are mostly nice, the school is laid back, and I have good friends. Although I can't help thinking I'd be happier if Sousuke would calm down a little. Ha ha."

After that it gets into a discussion about Sousuke, and it's revealed that Kaname likes him because "He's awkward, but he tries really hard."

Awkward. That's one way to put it...

Also, for all the violence and serious stuff they end up getting into, I'd argue that Sousuke and Kaname are the cuter couple here.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Wed 28 Oct 2009 - 9:14

Match One: Craft Lawrence and Horo no question about it!
Match Two: Ohhhhhh... Tougie. I weighed my options carefully, and I'll have to go with Takeshi and Tsugumi. This was a really close one to be honest (Tessa was the deciding factor belive it or not).

Who is that hot glasses wearing babe I wonder...
sasahara17

Male

Fan of : GSGs? Claes-sama and Elsa-chan. Outside that? Bloodhound Jr. and Saber

Original Characters : Wilfred Sheppard, I-CARE agent.

Comments : A walking idea powerhouse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Wed 28 Oct 2009 - 13:05

Technically Sasahara's vote came in after the deadline (I'm late updating this because of the site being down last night) but in the end it makes no difference. A nearly complete sweep for Lawrence and Horo as well as Tsugumi and Takashi.

So, final round:

This traveling merchant had the fortune of releasing a wolf deity from a contract that bound her to a local piece of land as a harvest goddess. Luckily for him, she’s interested in traveling north to her homeland, and willing to lend her wisdom to helping him make a profit. Plus, she’s good witty company too, having mannerisms reminiscent of a high class courtesan. On the flip side, she’s also prone to getting angry and playing mind games. Good things he’s one of the few men out there with a strong enough mind to stand up to and sometimes even get the better of her. Here’s Spice and Wolf’s Craft Lawrence and Horo.

He's a happy go lucky college student with a can-do attitude. She's a bitter, nihilistic girl with a bit of a death wish who seems to hate herself and gives the cold shoulder to everyone except little kids and her pet hamster. But hey, she did call her hamster Chami - "because he's charming" - so perhaps she IS hiding a sickeningly sweet side under all that ice. Most guys don't have anywhere near the awesome level that would be required to melt her, but he's pretty gar for a nice guy and has six days to work his magic, since they are trapped in an underwater theme park together. He'd just better watch out for her... "breakdowns". And slight orientation towards sadism. Here's Ever 17: The Out of Infinity's Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi.

I wanted to make sure people had time to chime in on the last few rounds, so voting for this match will end at 9:30pm Pacific Standard Time on Saturday, October 31.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Wed 28 Oct 2009 - 13:07

Spice and Wolf’s Craft Lawrence and Horo

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Wed 28 Oct 2009 - 18:06

Going with Takashi and Tsugumi.

Don't get me wrong... Horo is quite possibly my favourite anime character and Lawrence is also great, and I think they make freaking amazing travel partners... but I can't bring myself to cheer them on as a romantic pairing to the same extent as Takashi/Tsugumi. The "awwww" moments they've had so far don't quite match up to the compeition.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Fri 30 Oct 2009 - 3:40

Wow, I was right. Though I never came out and said it (so I know it doesn't count Wink) I predicted a couple of rounds back that Takashi and Tsugumi would have a good chance of making it to the final round and even have a good shot at winning. The amazing thing is I think it's fair to say that most of the voters aren't even familiar with Ever 17 and yet we're voting for them anyway. An excellent nomination. And with that said, I cast my final vote:

Final Match: Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi, Ever 17.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 30 Oct 2009 - 9:21

So... after a day or so mulling this one over in the back of my head:

Takasi and Tsugumi of Ever 17 get my vote.
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 30 Oct 2009 - 13:29

I'm not quite sure which way to go on this one.

On one hand, I haven't actually seen much of Spice and Wolf, so I don't really know I should be voting for those two.

On the other hand, I have to say I have mixed feelings on Tsugumi and Takashi (and not simply because of them defeating my last remaining nomination last round -if you look back a bit you'll find I've had issues with them previously as well). Mostly this is because of Tsugumi's extreme iciness. It seemed like her attitude for much of the game could basically be summed up as "I hate you, myself, and basically humanity as a whole, so don't come anywhere near me." Laughing Given that impression, it's actually rather impressive that the writers were able to make me warm up to her somewhat towards the end of the game, but still, I don't find her earlier attitude easy to forget. I guess I tend to like the hostility from my tsunderes to be a little less extreme.

(I should probably admit however that I'm mostly familiar with the Tsugumi from Takashi's storyline, I haven't played much of the game from the other guy's perspective, where her characterisation is apparently somewhat different.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Fri 30 Oct 2009 - 17:27

KodokuRyuu wrote:Wow, I was right. Though I never came out and said it (so I know it doesn't count Wink) I predicted a couple of rounds back that Takashi and Tsugumi would have a good chance of making it to the final round and even have a good shot at winning. The amazing thing is I think it's fair to say that most of the voters aren't even familiar with Ever 17 and yet we're voting for them anyway. An excellent nomination. And with that said, I cast my final vote:

Final Match: Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi, Ever 17.

What's interesting is that I nominated them and never really saw it coming. For one, they're not from a popular franchise - I definitely didn't see them beating Sousake and Kaname - so people don't know their story. In addition, I wasn't sure people would vote for them because as Piero points out, when you first meet her Tsugumi is frigid - it's only once the writers start developing her character that she becomes sympathetic.

Although I guess they do have a few things going for them by anime standards. They're one of the few adult couples in the tournament (Takashi is 20 and Tsugumi is 23), they're an "opposites attract" couple whose female half doesn't flip out every five minutes, Takashi is kind of cool in his own right rather than just being someone to pair off with an interesting girl, and their relationship is actually a driving force behind Tsugumi's character development.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sun 1 Nov 2009 - 0:19

Piero wrote:Tsugumi's extreme iciness. It seemed like her attitude for much of the game could basically be summed up as "I hate you, myself, and basically humanity as a whole, so don't come anywhere near me." I guess I tend to like the hostility from my tsunderes to be a little less extreme.
Once again I feel a need to correct this flaw in Dere. Per your description, Tsugumi is not a Tsundere but a Kuudere or more accurately a Defrosting Ice Queen.

On a side note, Kaname is a Type B Tsudere, despite what TV Tropes says. This explains why she is different from other well know tsunderes like Louise from Zero No Tsukaima. I think this provides good support for Kaname being a naturally kind person as we were discussing earlier.

Piero wrote:(I should probably admit however that I'm mostly familiar with the Tsugumi from Takashi's storyline, I haven't played much of the game from the other guy's perspective, where her characterisation is apparently somewhat different.)
The other playable character (Kid) cannot end up in a relationship with her, so I don't know that his perspective would provide much insight to her character if she acts the way you say she does. Blast I want to play this game.

Now vote already! You've only got a few minutes left! Razz

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Tsugumi is 23
Guh? Seriously? She looks 16-18 in all the pictures I've seen.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 1 Nov 2009 - 1:24

So the final round looks like a three one win for Tsugumi and Takashi. So they're the victors for the tournament. If anyone has an appropriate piece of art work for the occasion, feel free to post it!

Now, as for other matters:

Without meaning to rain on the victorious couple's parade, I still think Tsugumi is a tsundere myself. She really does go from hostile to lovey-dovey, more or less. Although my brother thinks she's more of a mix of different types, with kuudere first and tsundere second.

BTW, on the tsundere issue, I actually like both Type B (dere side dominant) and Type A (tsun side dominant) tsunderes. If I was to look at a list of some of my top tsunderes, Kaname Chidori and Mai Tokiha are type Bs, while Natsuki Kuga and Eri Sawachika are Type As. It's really more the extreme Type As like Louise from Zero No Tsukaima that tick me off. More balanced Type A's aren't such a problem.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure on Kaname being a Type B. On one hand she seems like a reasonably kind person who's willing to lend a hand, but on the other hand, it really is pretty easy to get on her bad side, Sousuke is certainly not the only one who does it. But then, I'm not really sure a low BS tolerance actually counts as a disqualifier for Type B tsundere-hood either...

I'm trying to figure out how best to classify Yomi Isayama from Ga-Rei Zero... a lot of her early interactions with Noriyuki are strongly Type A, but she also spends a lot of time doting on her younger cousin/adopted little sister...

Actually, come to think of it, Noriyuki is rather tsundere himself. No wonder they make such a cute couple! Laughing

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Sun 1 Nov 2009 - 2:38

WIN.

As mentioned earlier I did not see this coming at the beginning - it's only a few rounds in I felt this pairing might make it. Great choice though, I did nominate them because they're my favourite pairing after all.

Piero wrote:
If anyone has an appropriate piece of art work for the occasion, feel free to post it!
Unforunately Ever 17 follows the "never show the player's face in CGs" rule, so the
closest thing I could find was this piece of fanart:

KodokuRyuu wrote:
Piero wrote:(I should probably admit however that I'm mostly familiar with the Tsugumi from Takashi's storyline, I haven't played much of the game from the other guy's perspective, where her characterisation is apparently somewhat different.)
The other playable character (Kid) cannot end up in a relationship with her, so I don't know that his perspective would provide much insight to her character if she acts the way you say she does. Blast I want to play this game.

There's quite a lot of difference between the Kid's routes and Takashi's, one of which is that in the Kid's routes, Tsugumi is convinced the other survivors are conspiring against her in some way. There's also a lot of bad blood between her and Sara (the genius hacker girl who only appears on the Kid's routes). So there's a lot more yelling, accusations, and aggressive behaviour towards the other survivors in the Kid's routes. In Takashi's routes, she's just plain cold and aloof - although her tendency to reply with stuff like "So what? It's a meaningless question" nearly drove me nuts before she started to deice.

If you can stomach the visual novel format and long length, Ever 17 is an absolutely amazing VN. It's basically set up so that you initially play through twice as each character, then you unlock a fifth route that essentially turns some of what you learned in the four regular routes on its head (or perhaps just confirms your suspicions if you're really good at piecing together stories, although most players only manage a couple pieces of the puzzle before the big reveal(s)). I would recommend using a walkthrough though because the choice trees are frustratingly hard. Although Takashi's bad end is really fun if you let yourself get it.

KodokuRyuu wrote:
0utf0xZer0 wrote:Tsugumi is 23
Guh? Seriously? She looks 16-18 in all the pictures I've seen.

...How do you differentiate between a 16-18 year old anime girl and a 23 year old one?
Takashi also mistakes her for someone in her late teens, but for some reason I had always guessed she was around his age (20).

Piero wrote:
Without meaning to rain on the victorious couple's parade, I still think Tsugumi is a tsundere myself. She really does
go from hostile to lovey-dovey, more or less. Although my brother
thinks she's more of a mix of different types, with kuudere first and
tsundere second.

In Takashi's routes, she exhibits traits of ALL the members of the dere family, but Kuu is definitely her default mode. Tsundere is a distanct second and yandere is limited to select scenes.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sun 1 Nov 2009 - 18:20

Piero wrote:Without meaning to rain on the victorious couple's parade, I still think Tsugumi is a tsundere myself. She really does go from hostile to lovey-dovey, more or less.
But does she flip-flop? That's the key to a tsundere. Wait, "flip-flop"? Oh blast! I just figured out women!!! A tsundere can be represented by a JK flip-flop, a kuudere can be represented by a T flip-flop, a yandere can be represented by a SR flip-flop, and whatever you call one of those people who just go with the flow can be represented by a D flip-flop. Wow, it make so much more sense now. It is awesome!

Piero wrote:Actually, I'm not 100% sure on Kaname being a Type B. On one hand she seems like a reasonably kind person who's willing to lend a hand, but on the other hand, it really is pretty easy to get on her bad side, Sousuke is certainly not the only one who does it. But then, I'm not really sure a low BS tolerance actually counts as a disqualifier for Type B tsundere-hood either...
Hmm... true. I guess she kinda flip-flops a bit. And since that's what tsundere is all about, I guess that makes her the ultimate tsundere! Razz A good balance of of A and B is necessary to make a realistic tsundere.

0utf0xZer0 wrote:WIN.
Lol.

0utf0xZer0 wrote:There's quite a lot of difference between the Kid's routes and Takashi's, one of which is that in the Kid's routes, Tsugumi is convinced the other survivors are conspiring against her in some way. There's also a lot of bad blood between her and Sara (the genius hacker girl who only appears on the Kid's routes). So there's a lot more yelling, accusations, and aggressive behaviour towards the other survivors in the Kid's routes.
In that case it sounds like she's more tsun sub-yan in Kid's arcs.

0utf0xZer0 wrote:...How do you differentiate between a 16-18 year old anime girl and a 23 year old one?
Lol, that's true.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 1 Nov 2009 - 23:40

As far as Kaname goes, I looked up the definition of tsundere on TV tropes, and their section on Type A tsunderes says that it's not the intensity that matters, but which side is the public face. By that definition anime Kaname is definitely a Type A, even in season one. Which isn't to say that there's not a very nice person lurking behind that tough girl public face.

So I guess out of that list from earlier, only Mai Tokiha is a Type B tsundere, Eri, Kaname, and Natsuki are all Type As.

As for Tsugumi, she does switch around at least a bit. Although one should also remember, the old definition of tsundere really did tend towards a character who started of hostile then became lovey dovey, more or less.

(Edit: Going by TV tropes again, "Kuudere is a similar but distinct trope where confrontation is created by being "cool and emotionally undemonstrative" rather than aggressive behavior." Personally, I find Tsugumi can be pretty forceful when she wants someone to piss off and leave her alone, so I wonder if tsundere is kind of the appropriate moniker to a degree, although I'll admit I'm not 100% sure.)

Can you tell I'm a tsundere fanboy? Actually, I'm a self described connoisseur (sp?) as far as tsunderes are concerned. There's some that are annoying, but others that are among my favorite characters. Laughing It really depends on whether they're well written. I guess I tend to find though that a well written tsundere can be a very likeable and believable character. Maybe it's because a lot of them do actually have a nice side, but that's not all there is too them. Real people arent' one dimensional either.

Might also be because I like vulnerability in characters, but tend not to be big on mopiness.

Actually, I think it's a tsundere character who got me about as close as I've ever come to getting the concept of 'moe.' I've been told the defining trait of moe is that it's basically brain melting, and this character was adorable. Not generically cute, but adorable. In spite of (or perhaps in part because of) the fact she was also a badass. Laughing

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3