Anime Couples Tournament Voting Thread

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anime Couples Tournament Voting Thread

Post by Piero on Sun 4 Oct 2009 - 0:43

Tsugumi and Takahashi win their match 4-1, while Maho and Koyuki win their match 3-2.

Match One:

A dysfunctional pairing who first met up with one another at a Japanese music school. He is an uptight, yet talented musician inspiring to become an orchestra conductor yet his fear of flying and ships keep him from expanding his talents beyond Japan. She is a carefree slob who while a talented pianist, is an anime otaku and inspires to be a teacher even though she sucks at caring for kids. Through their interactions with one another, the man warms up to being creative with music and the girl becomes more serious in committing to her piano playing. Here's Nodame Cantabile's Megumi "Nodame" Noda and Shinichi Chiaki.

Issun and Riki from Ai No Kusabi

Riki was out trying to steal a car in Midas when he was set upon by citizens of Midas. When they were about to kill him, a blondie interfered and saved Riki. Riki felt he owed him a debt for this, and
offered to pay him with the only thing he had - his body.
The blondie was Iason Mink, the leader of Tanagura's syndicate and the most powerful man in the city. After Iason received his 'payment' from Riki, he decided to take him as his pet. Iason's friend Raoul warns him that he thinks keeping a mongrel pet is a bad idea.
Iason kept Riki as his pet for three years, which caused a lot of rumors to fly in Tanagura. Riki was too old to be kept as a pet, plus he's a mongrel, and Iason kept him for much too long. The rumors also said the unthinkable - that Iason had broken the laws of Jupiter and had sex with his pet.
Riki begs Iason for his freedom, and Iason grants him a year of freedom and allows him to go back to Ceres. Riki is welcomed back into Bison and returns to a normal life. He has changed, however,
and is unable to forget the time he spent as Iason's pet.

Match Two:

A pair of teenagers who were brainwashed and used as assassins by a criminal organisation. The guy was a Japanese tourist whose survival instincts impressed those seeking to eliminate him for coming into possession of information he wasn’t supposed to have, while the girl’s past prior to her brainwashing is unknown. A turning point in their story occurred when one of the members of the organisation attempted to rekindle the guy’s recollection of his past by returning his passport
to him shortly before political manoeuvring within the organisation caused the girl to be seen as a threat to be eliminated. The guy ended up deciding to try to escape the organisation with the girl despite having a chance to avoid getting involved. He even went so far as to tear up his own passport when the girl objected that he should try to escape on his own because he had a past to return to. Here’s Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom’s Ellen (Ein) and Reiji Azuma (Zwei).

A relatively ordinary guy and a magical girl who wishes she was normal. She’s nice but headstrong, and he’s a jerk with a heart of gold type, which might explain why they were initially at each other’s throats. Despite this, the guy eventually becomes one of the few people the girl is willing to confide in when the pressure of taking care of her sickly younger brother (among various other issues) starts to get to her. In addition to their initial hostility, the girl’s promise to support the guy’s childhood friend and her desire to keep him from getting caught up in the dangerous circumstances surrounding her further complicated the two’s relationship, though they eventually came to realise and express their feelings for each other during the life or death circumstances of the so called ‘festival.’ Here’s Mai-HIME’s Mai Tokiha and Yuiichi Tate.

As noted previously, these two did not really get off to the best of starts.

Voting for these matches will end as 9:30pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, October 5.

Piero

Forum Posts : 2617

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 4 Oct 2009 - 1:04

Match One: Nodame and Chiaki.

Match Two: Damnit. This is the second time the selection process has ended up with two of my own nominations going head to head against each other in the first round, and this time they're not 'second tier' nominations. I like a fair variety of anime couples, but one thing I find virtually all of my top favorites have in common is that they've been through hell together, and I think that's something you could say about both of these couples.

But anyhow, I've got to make a choice, and I think it's going to be Mai and Tate. I'm a huge Mai-HiME fan, and one of the major reasons for that is the characters and their relationships. The writers obviously put a lot of effort into developing the relationship between those two, and it shows. They're a hell of a lot more convincing then the forced couplings you see in a lot of other anime series.

Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela on Sun 4 Oct 2009 - 1:10

Match 1: Issun and Riki!!! Amazing yaoi right there! *sqwee!!* X3

Match 2: Ellen and Reiji

Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Forum Posts : 2723

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 5 Oct 2009 - 13:03

Again only vaugly familiar with the characters at best, but:

Match one: Megumi "Nodame" Noda and Shinichi Chiaki.

Match two: Ellen (Ein) and Reiji Azuma (Zwei)

Alfisti

Forum Posts : 5752

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Mon 5 Oct 2009 - 20:37

Match One: Nodame Cantabile, Megumi Noda and Shinichi Chiaki - the other one just sounds creepy, and I've considered watching this series in the past.
Match Two: Phantom, Ellen and Reiji Azuma - Phantom just sounds like an awesome show and these two sound good together.

KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Forum Posts : 1237

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Mon 5 Oct 2009 - 21:15

Match One: Megumi and Chiaki (I nominated them, so why not?)

Match Two: Mai and Yuuichi (And nearby will be Mikoto watching them from a tree while they're making whoopie. Laughing )

Ggultra2764

Forum Posts : 590

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Mon 5 Oct 2009 - 22:53

Match one: Nodame and Chiaki. Great oddball pairing in a good show.

Match two: Tough one, but Mai and Yuuichi are less emo so they get the vote.

0utf0xZer0

Forum Posts : 265

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 6 Oct 2009 - 0:35

Nodame and Chiaki win their match 5-1, while MaiXYuiichi and EllenXRyuji tied, with the win going to Ellen and Ryuji based on the results of a coin flipper program.

Match One:

The year is 1930, height of the prohibition; sharp suits and fedoras all round. He’s newly and accidentally immortal as well as a recently instated Camorra member. She’s the ageless, homunculus servant of an alchemist. He’s generally relaxed, confident and a nice guy, but also a skilled fighter. She’s initially quiet, emotionless and created only to do her master’s bidding (which also oddly also involves knocking peoples’ kidneys out through their ears). The two meet at a warehouse fire, him there to see if he can lend a hand and she trying to retrieve something being developed there for her master. The two rapidly part ways with little more than polite words exchanged, but now she’s on his thoughts. Long story short events conspire to bring the two back together, with a now much more human girl ready to give her life to protect those who’ve been kind to her... good thing he’s picked up some useful knowledge along the way. Now all he’s got to do is help her come to grips with being human...ish. Good thing they’ve got time and plenty of help... It’s Baccano!’s Firo Prochainezo and Ennis.

He’s a naturalist minding his own business. She’s a baker and member of the local militia who thinks he’s a spy because of the weird way he’s studying stuff. However, they get in a tight spot, and she ends up helping him and his sister break through the enemies surrounding them using an uber badass tank that his dad kept in his garage. The two appear to like each other, although she won’t admit it and he’s too dense to notice. Here’s Valkyria Chronicle’s Welkin Gunther and Alicia Melchiott.

Match Two:

An energetic, slightly ditzy Japanese girl and the oddly childlike but very badass action girl she met while travelling the world in an attempt to find herself. The two ended up becoming close friends, and would later be reunited on two occasions, first in Tokyo’s Shibuya district, then later in Shanghai, when their respective jobs as a rookie camerawoman and a mercenary serving a secretive organisation brought them together. On both occasions their reunion was complicated by the actions of the Snakes, a terrorist group led by a figure from the second girl’s past. As a note, messing with the first girl is kind of a bad idea, as the second girl is rather protective of her. Not to mention she has practically supernatural senses in combat due to an extreme form of synthesia. Here’s Canaan’s Maria Oosawa and Canaan.

Kawaii!

A notorious delinquent and a half-English, half-Japanese tsundere from a wealthy family. The seeds of their love-hate relationship took root when the delinquent, intending to confess to another girl whom he had a massive crush on, ended up giving the confession to the tsundere by accident. The sincerity of this confession left a lasting impression on the tsundere, and due to various complications, the misunderstanding was never properly resolved. In fact, it became part of a long string of misunderstandings in a relationship characterised by its participants becoming closer and closer while they repeatedly express their low opinions of each other’s respective characters. They often refer to each other as ‘hige’ (beard) and ‘ojou’ (princess) respectively. Here’s School Rumble’s Harima Kenji and Eri Sawachika.

Voting for these matchs will end at 9:30pm Pacific Standard Time on Thursday, October 8.

Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 6 Oct 2009 - 2:11

Well, looks like another two of my nominations are going up against each other this round, so I've got to make another choice, and this time I think I'm going to support Maria and Canaan. Eri and Harima are a great pairing, and one of the best ones I can think of from a flat out comedy series, but I really, really liked Maria and Canaan, so I'm going to lobby for them, even if I wasn't very satisfied with the ending the writers gave them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MvpvF-94s

Lovely little clip from Episode 8. Unfortunately whoever translated this didn't do as good a job as the people who translated the fansubs I've got, so the subtitles are kind of awkward. But this is the only subtitled version of the scene I'm aware of on youtube. (Biggest issue with this translation is that the person seems to have neglected the fact that English speakers often use 'you' where a Japanese speaker would say the name of the person they were speaking to. There are times where the subs of Maria's dialogue say 'Canaan' where they really ought to say 'you.')

Also, I'm kind of wishing I'd lobbied harder for Mai and Tate last round, since now that they're out I missed a chance to go on a spiel about 'why Yuiichi Tate is is one of the most wrongly maligned anime guys ever,' among other things. Then again, what's bad for me might be good for you, since you don't have to listen to said spiel. Laughing

Anyway, overall:

Match One: Welkin and Alicia

Match Two: Maria and Canaan

Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 6 Oct 2009 - 9:39

Match One: Welkin and Alicia

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 6 Oct 2009 - 10:36

Match One: Alicia and Welkin
For the beautiful endings of both the TV series and the game.

Match Two: Harima and Eri
I can't resist a good love/hate relationship. Plus Harima is one of the most awesome male characters ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 6 Oct 2009 - 23:04

Kuransu wrote:Plus Harima is one of the most awesome male characters ever.

Heh. I do have to admit, he's certainly a refreshing change from the usual wimpy male leads you see in a lot of high school comedy animes. He may be something of a dumbass, but he's a pretty badass dumbass.

Actually, I may be voting for Canaan and Maria buy I like both couples, so I might as well throw in something for Eri and Harima too. Let's go with one of their earlier misunderstandings. I can't say this is one of their more touching moments, but it's short and pretty hilarious. (Although I should throw in a mild content warning.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGbPSEMlT7E

Piero

Male

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 7 Oct 2009 - 2:37

Match One: Baccano!, Firo Prochainezo and Ennis. Baccano! is one of the best shows ever and those two make an excellent couple. Valkyria Chronicles looks cool, but it just can't compete with this.

Match Two: School Rumble, Harima Kenji and Eri Sawachika. Best couple ever, hands down. At least the most hilarious.

Kuransu wrote:Harima is one of the most awesome male characters ever.
I have to agree with that.
Piero wrote:I can't say this is one of their more touching moments, but it's short and pretty hilarious. (Although I should throw in a mild content warning.)
I love that scene. Lol at content warning.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Wed 7 Oct 2009 - 4:56

Match One: Firo and Ennis, because they're so sweet together... and I've still to work out how Firo manages to be so suave and yet such a big kid at the same time.

Match Two: Harima Kenji and Eri Sawachika

Last edited by Alfisti on Wed 7 Oct 2009 - 21:02; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Apparently not abstaining)
Alfisti

Male

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 7 Oct 2009 - 18:54

Alfisti wrote:Match One: Abstain - because one of the nominations is mine.
Don't abstain just 'cause you nominated one - vote for it! You nominated it because you thought they were a good couple after all. Besides, Piero votes for his own all the time.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Wed 7 Oct 2009 - 21:03

KodokuRyuu wrote:
Alfisti wrote:Match One: Abstain - because one of the nominations is mine.
Don't abstain just 'cause you nominated one - vote for it! You nominated it because you thought they were a good couple after all. Besides, Piero votes for his own all the time.

Fine, you talked me into it Razz
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Wed 7 Oct 2009 - 23:38

To be fair, I'm not the only person here who votes for his own nominations, several other people have done it too.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 7 Oct 2009 - 23:41

Piero wrote:To be fair, I'm not the only person here who votes for his own nominations, several other people have done it too.
Yes, and I considered mentioning that as well. But what it comes down to is you're in charge of this gig, so if you do something then it's fair game for the rest of us.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Thu 8 Oct 2009 - 22:02

Match one: Welkin and Alicia. If it had been the other Baccano couple I might have considered it though.

Match two: Harime and Eri. Tough call though.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Thu 8 Oct 2009 - 22:08

Match one: abstain

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 0:35

Alicia and Welkin win their match 4-2, while Eri and Harima win their's 4-3.

Match One:

A socially inept teenage counter-terrorist and former child soldier and the nice but short tempered school girl he was assigned to go undercover to protect. Their early interactions were characterised by the girl flip-flopping as to whether the guy was weird but harmless or a creep who was stalking her. After finding out about his mission, she decided that she was going to help him learn to fit in with normal people. Her strategy for doing this often seems to involve beating some sense into him –literally. Despite continuing violence on the part of both the girl and those targeting her, the two eventually develop a strong and mutually supporting relationship. Here’s Full Metal Panic’s Sousuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori.

They met after separately sneaking into a swimming pool at night on the last day of summer vacation. He surprised her and had to rescue her after she fell in, since she actually couldn’t swim. She shows up at his school the next day, but he finds he can’t remember her properly. The president of his club thinks she might have something to do with secret programs at a nearby airbase. He might be right: she does seem to get followed around by some very shady people. And has frequent nosebleeds for no apparent reason. And knows how to jack scooters. Using a combat knife of what must be at least six inches that she keeps hidden on her… Actually, he’s not half bad at taking action either, it takes some guts to remove a tracking bug that way! Here’s Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu’s Naoyuki Asaba and Kana Iriya.

Match Two:

He’s a fifteen year old dweeb who has been dragged around the world by his family and therefore has few friends. Instead, he immerses himself in books. She’s a sixteen year old girl who was hit by a car when she was twelve, losing the ability to remember anything longer than thirteen hours in the process, causing her to have a constant need for a diary. She keeps trying to write a novel but can never finish it. After a chance meeting in an abandoned train station, he decides to help her with her novel, and the two eventually fall for each other. Here’s EF: A Tale of Memories’ Renji Asou and Chihiro Shindou.

Dee and Ryo from FAKE

Dee and Ryo first met at the police station they both work at. Dee immediately falls for the sometimes clueless and dense Ryo. Though their time and trials as partners on the job they begin to develop a stronger bond, that Ryo doesn't want to admit to himself. Through Dee's persistent and demanding nature they end up both falling in love with each other.

Voting for this round will end at 9:30pm on Saturday, October 10.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 10 Oct 2009 - 1:57

Sheesh people, voting time is already half over you know...

Match One: Sousuke and Kaname. Those two are awesome together.

Match Two: Don't know much about either.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Sat 10 Oct 2009 - 4:56

oh, right...
match one: Kaname and Sousuke deserve each other...
the other couple seems like the typical anime wussy dude winding up with a girl he couldn't keep up with.

match two: Renji Asou and Chihiro Shindou... they seem to at least have a little connection to each other. A little... reason, if you will (even if both characters strike me as a little boring).
The other side of things seems a little too instantaneous for me. Sexual preferences aside, the concept of "Love at first sight" is a load of horse shit. All it actually equates to is one person desiring an idealized version of another person... one they created in their own head (hence, they're in "love" with someone who doesn't exist).
Any questions can be referred to this song (with genders substituted as necessary)

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 10 Oct 2009 - 13:43

Match one: Tough. I love both of these couples. Asaba and Iriya have the most beautiful scene together. But I gotta toss in my vote for Sousuke and Kaname, cause they are prolly one of the best and funniest anime couples out there.

Match Two: Don't know either series. Abstain.

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Sat 10 Oct 2009 - 14:28

LoC978 wrote:
the other couple seems like the typical anime wussy dude winding up with a girl he couldn't keep up with.

Mild spoiler: I don't know man... I'd tend to say that the wuss label shouldn't be applied to anyone who cuts a tracking bug out of his own neck using a box cutter.

Match one: Naoyuki Asaba and Kana Iriya... as much as I like FMP, it's nowhere near as gut wrenching as the second half of Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu was for me.

(And Kuransu, nice find with the dance scene.)

Match two: Renji Asou and Chihiro Shindou. Unlike a lot of anime males in this kind of show, Renji is actually the likeable kind of dweeb, so I couldn't help but cheer him on. And even rarer for this type of character, he doesn't freak out when the girl makes a move on him.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 11 Oct 2009 - 0:30

Sousuke and Kaname win their match 3-1, while Renji and Chihiro win their match 2-0. This concludes the first round of the tournament. Now on to round two.

I've thought perhaps I should roll the dice again to shake things up, but I'm in a rush so the victors from each pair of matchs will face off against each other.

Match One:

Two assassins brought together by the faulty memories of one of them, not fully trusting one another at first... yet as they both uncover more of their intertwined pasts, they come to rely on one another; not just to watch each others' back, but also to share the emotional burden of what life has dealt each of them. Whenever they're at odds bullets fly, but eventually they both accept that they need each other. Unless you're fond of being stabbed by cake forks, don't try to come between Mireille Bouquet and Yuumura Kirika of Noir.

A polite, well bred young lady and the aggressive, outwardly hostile tomboy whose glare she fell in love with. Being ashamed of her feelings, the former kept them under wraps while continuing to reach out to the latter, becoming the first person the younger girl was willing to put her trust in after her mother’s death. Unfortunately for both of them, matters came to a head at the worst possible time during the dangerous and emotionally stressful events of the so called ‘festival.’ This prompted the first girl to have a mental breakdown and target everyone she felt stood between the two of them, eventually forcing the second girl to confront her in an emotionally charged showdown late in the series. Here’s Mai-HIME’s Shizuru Fujino and Natsuki Kuga.

Natsuki and Shizuru would appear to have met between one and two years prior to the start of the series. Note that like any polite, well bred young lady in an anime series, Shizuru has plenty of fan girls. Who apparently don't interest her at all.

Match Two:

In the kingdom of Midland, these two are members of Griffith's group of mercenaries known as the Band of the Hawk. The man was forced to join the group when he was defeated in a duel with Griffith and the woman joined up when she was rescued from being raped by a lord that she was sold to by her parents. The two start off on bad terms with one another as the woman is disgusted by the quick acceptance that the man got from Griffith as commander of the group's raiders. Over time, the tension
between the two mellows as they learn more of each other's personal hardships despite the many sufferings that they face in the series. Here's Berserk's Guts and Caska.

How would you react if you moved to catch a girl who fell from a great height, then discovered she only weighed 5kg? Well, if you were a typical guy, you’d be weirded out, and if you’re a guy who had been restored to 90% human after being turned into a vampire, you’d probably consider the possibility that she might have encountered some sort of spirit and take her to talk to the guy who helped with your occult problem. In this particular case, however, it is worth noting the girl is a somewhat violent type who likes to carry a variety of extremely sharp school supplies concealed on her body and isn’t afraid to threaten people. She even knows to staple the inside of someone’s mouth when threatening them to make sure that the evidence isn’t so obvious! Clearly, only a very helpful and selfless guy is going to put up with her behaviour. Luckily, she’s smart and capable of backing down if you can make her trust you. And she likes talking dirty. Very dirty. Here’s Bakemonogatari’s Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara.

Voting for this round will end on Monday, October 12 at 9:30pm.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Sun 11 Oct 2009 - 19:59

Match one: Natsuki and Shizuru

Match two: Koyomi and Hitagi.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Oct 2009 - 20:27

Wow, more tough choices.

Match One: I like both of these shows and couples.
But IMO Shizuru ends up crossing the line that seperates love from obsession, which I count as a point against her.
I'm not really a fan of whispery mysterious characters like Kirika, but I gotta say, she and Mirielle make a kickass team. Kirika and Mirielle.

Match Two: Guts and Caska, for suffering so much together.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 12 Oct 2009 - 15:28

Match One: Natsuki and Shizuru. Irregardless of what I may think of some of Shizuru's actions, character relationships were part of what made Mai-HiME such a notable show for me. Although if given a choice, I probably would have chosen for Mai and Yuiichi to advance instead (and I call myself a yuri fanboy?).

Match Two: Koyomi and Hitagi.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Mon 12 Oct 2009 - 22:08

Dude, slow things down a bit - I go out of town for the weekend and nearly miss two whole rounds. >_<

Match One: Mireille Bouquet and Yuumura Kirika, Noir.
Match Two: Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara, Bakemonogatari.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 13 Oct 2009 - 0:43

Kodoku: Sorry man, but I did sort of set an update schedule. Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at 9:30pm Pacific, more or less... (I'm a tad late tonight.)

Although if a lot of people are having that problem, I might consider a change like dropping from three matchs a week to two. I have noticed voter turnout has been a bit low as of late...

Anyhow, Natsuk and Shizuru tie with Mireille and Yuumura 2-2, settled in favour of Mireille and Yuumura using a random coin flipper program. Koyomi and Hitagi win their match 3-1.

Match One:

This traveling merchant had the fortune of releasing a wolf deity from a contract that bound her to a local piece of land as a harvest goddess. Luckily for him, she’s interested in traveling north to her homeland, and willing to lend her wisdom to helping him make a profit. Plus, she’s good witty company too, having mannerisms reminiscent of a high class courtesan. On the flip side, she’s also prone to getting angry and playing mind games. Good things he’s one of the few men out there with a strong enough mind to stand up to and sometimes even get the better of her. Here’s Spice and Wolf’s Craft Lawrence and Horo.

A somewhat typical, downtrodden Japanese salaryman and the primary gunslinger for a pirate/transportation company based in the South China Sea. The (ex-)salaryman, now acting as primary negotiator for the group of (now 4) pirates, winds up working closely with the beautiful female gunslinger. At some point, he makes her question her nihilistic views on life, nearly catching his death of bullets from her in the process. Eventually she comes to realize that she relies on his cool-headed decision making and intact moral compass every bit as much as he relies on her ability to swiftly end the lives of any who threaten them. They may be fucked up beyond all recognition as far as society is concerned, but at least they can be fucked up together. Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye if you ever wind up on the wrong side of Rock and Revy of Black Lagoon.

Match Two:

A pair of high school students who have been friends since childhood and attend the same dojo. Unlike some childhood friend pairings where about all the characters have in common is their status as childhood friends, these, these two actually have a lot in common, as they’re both extremely forthright and care a great deal about others. The main difference is that the guy needs to learn not to take everything so seriously while the girl seems to have already learned that. Unfortunately, neither of them recognises the fact that they’re pretty much a perfect match, as they’ve both got their respective infatuations. Particularly the guy, whose interest in a girl one grade below him is frankly obsessive (and doomed, since the younger girl in question is A) shy and B) can read the mind of guys who are interested in her). Hopefully someday they’ll learn to recognise what they’ve got in each other (unadapted manga chapters seem supportive of this). Here’s School Rumble’s Mikoto Suou and Hanai Haruki.

Mikoto dealing with the results of Hanai taking Cultural Festival preparations too seriously. Apologies for the subtitles, this shot was part of the season one end credits sequence so there's Karaoke stuff.

He is a wandering swordsman who took an oath never to kill again following his involvement in the Meiji Restoration as a hitokiri (assassin). She is the young sensei of her own kendo dojo following in the footsteps of her dead father. In their first encounter, he saved her life from a banished student of her father's, craving for revenge. Accepted to live at the girl's dojo despite his bloody past, the swordsman comes to see the dojo as his new home while protecting her from former wartime rivals. And overtime, the girl develops a strong attraction to the swordsman. Here's Rurouni Kenshin's Kenshin Himura and Kaoru Kamiya.

Voting for these matches will end at 9:30pm Pacific Standard Time on Thursday, October 15.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 13 Oct 2009 - 10:11

Don't know the second match nominees and I don't want to just randomly vote (I like to be informed before I cast).

Match One: Spice and Wolf’s Craft Lawrence and Horo.

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 13 Oct 2009 - 11:39

P3 + group project, eating my time... seems that dispite claims to the contrary two weeks back there is infact only one person in our uni group capable of doing a gant chart, and it's the same bloke who summarised and part-edited the 18k word report... and consequently hasn't been here much.

Ahh, mini-rant over... anyway...

Match one:
Craft Lawrence and Horo (still need to watch this show, but they seem like a nice pair)

Match two: Mikoto Suou and Hanai Haruki
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 13 Oct 2009 - 22:43

Match One: Part of me was thinking I ought vote for the Spice and Wolf couple. After all, Rock and Revy aren't exactly a very functional couple, and I really shouldn't let my feelings about series overall have too much of an effect on my voting. But then I remember how brilliant Black Lagoon Episode 7 was, in addition to some of the lead up to it. So Rock and Revy.

Match Two: Mikoto and Hanai. They're a good match and I like both characters. Though I have to admit I'm not particularly familiar with the couple from Kenshin.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Oct 2009 - 0:29

Match One: I just can't resist the Rock/Revi combo. "tough love", heh

Match Two: Easily Mikoto and Hanai

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Thu 15 Oct 2009 - 3:16

Match one: Lawrence and Horo.

Match two: Mikoto and Hanai.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Thu 15 Oct 2009 - 4:28

Match 1: As much as I like Rock and Revy, I'm going with tThe Merchant and the Wolf. They're too cute!

Match 2: Mikoto and Hanai. If it were Kenshin and Tomoe tho'...

Who is that hot glasses wearing babe I wonder...
sasahara17

Male

Forum Posts : 1001

Fan of : GSGs? Claes-sama and Elsa-chan. Outside that? Bloodhound Jr. and Saber

Original Characters : Wilfred Sheppard, I-CARE agent.

Comments : A walking idea powerhouse.

Registration date : 2007-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Thu 15 Oct 2009 - 8:31

Horo and Lawrence for Match #1. Kenshin and Kaoru for Match #2 because they actually paired up while School Rumble had a bad habit of not creating any clear resolution for its pairings.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
-Joker "Batman: The Killing Joke"
If the SWA told Sandro to go fuck a chicken, he would.
-Elfen in Chatbox (3/28/09)
Ggultra2764

Male

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Thu 15 Oct 2009 - 21:49

Match One: Craft Lawrence and Horo, Spice and Wolf.
Match Two: Mikoto Suou and Hanai Haruki, School Rumble. They're just too cute together! And they don't even know it.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 16 Oct 2009 - 0:32

Lawrence and Horo win their match 6-2, while Mikoto and Hanai win their match 6-1. Good turn out this round.

Match One:

He's a happy go lucky college student with a can-do attitude. She's a bitter, nihilistic girl with a bit of a death wish who seems to hate herself and gives the cold shoulder to everyone except little kids and her pet hamster. But hey, she did call her hamster Chami - "because he's charming" - so perhaps she IS hiding a sickeningly sweet side under all that ice. Most guys don't have anywhere near the awesome level that would be required to melt her, but he's pretty gar for a nice guy and has six days to work his magic, since they are trapped in an underwater theme park together. He'd just better watch out for her... "breakdowns". And slight orientation towards sadism. Here's Ever 17: The Out of Infinity's Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi.

A plain Japanese boy who starts interacting with this younger sister of the talented guitarist whose odd-looking dog the boy saves. Like her brother, the girl has traveled between America and Japan so she can speak both fluent English and Japanese and develops an interest in the boy's talented guitar-playing and singing. Thanks to the girl and her brother, the boy gets motivated enough to join the brother's struggling rock band with his potential talents and develops an increasing attraction to the girl, but finds it hard to understand what her thoughts of him are throughout much of the series. In one notable scene between the two, both are seen singing in the school pool together while skinnydipping. Here's BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad's Yukio "Koyuki" Tanaka and Maho Minami.

Match Two:

A dysfunctional pairing who first met up with one another at a Japanese music school. He is an uptight, yet talented musician inspiring to become an orchestra conductor yet his fear of flying and ships keep him from expanding his talents beyond Japan. She is a carefree slob who while a talented pianist, is an anime otaku and inspires to be a teacher even though she sucks at caring for kids. Through their interactions with one another, the man warms up to being creative with music and the girl becomes more serious in committing to her piano playing. Here's Nodame Cantabile's Megumi "Nodame" Noda and Shinichi Chiaki.

A pair of teenagers who were brainwashed and used as assassins by a criminal organisation. The guy was a Japanese tourist whose survival instincts impressed those seeking to eliminate him for coming into possession of information he wasn’t supposed to have, while the girl’s past prior to her brainwashing is unknown. A turning point in their story occurred when one of the members of the organisation attempted to rekindle the guy’s recollection of his past by returning his passport to him shortly before political manoeuvring within the organisation caused the girl to be seen as a threat to be eliminated. The guy ended up deciding to try to escape the organisation with the girl despite having a chance to avoid getting involved. He even went so far as to tear up his own passport when the girl objected that he should try to escape on his own because he had a past to return to. Here’s Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom’s Ellen (Ein) and Reiji Azuma (Zwei).

Voting for this round will end at 9:30pm Pacific Standard Time on Saturday, October 17.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Fri 16 Oct 2009 - 20:31

Match one: Takashi and Tsugumi.

Match two: Chiaki and Nodame.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 16 Oct 2009 - 22:37

Match One: Maho and Koyuki

Match Two: Ryuji and Ellen

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Fri 16 Oct 2009 - 23:15

Maho and Koyuki for Match #1 and Chiaki and Nodame for Match #2.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
Ggultra2764

Male

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 16 Oct 2009 - 23:28

Lol. The ones I root for keep ending up against each other.

Match One: Maho and Koyuki. Had me at the duet.

Match Two: Abstain

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 17 Oct 2009 - 0:14

Match one: Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi

Match two: this is the one that gave me some difficulty but... Ellen and Reiji Azuma
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sat 17 Oct 2009 - 23:39

Match One: Takashi Kuranari and Tsugumi Komachi, Ever 17.
Match Two: Ellen and Reiji Azuma, Phantom.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 18 Oct 2009 - 0:58

Tsugumi and Takashi tie with Maho and Koyuki, settled in favour of Tsugumi and Takahashi via random dice roller program. Reiji and Ellen win their match 3-2. I decided to switch to a random dice roller because the results from the 'random' coin flipper program I was using seem kind of suspicious. It seems like heads comes up on the first toss way, way more often then tails, to the point where I've found myself questioning whether the program is actually fair. Unfortunately it's a bit late to go back and deal with the round one matchs that were resolved via random coin flipper. (Grrr...)

Match One:

He’s a naturalist minding his own business. She’s a baker and member of the local militia who thinks he’s a spy because of the weird way he’s studying stuff. However, they get in a tight spot, and she ends up helping him and his sister break through the enemies surrounding them using an uber badass tank that his dad kept in his garage. The two appear to like each other, although she won’t admit it and he’s too dense to notice. Here’s Valkyria Chronicle’s Welkin Gunther and Alicia Melchiott.

A notorious delinquent and a half-English, half-Japanese tsundere from a wealthy family. The seeds of their love-hate relationship took root when the delinquent, intending to confess to another girl whom he had a massive crush on, ended up giving the confession to the tsundere by accident. The sincerity of this confession left a lasting impression on the tsundere, and due to various complications, the misunderstanding was never properly resolved. In fact, it became part of a long string of misunderstandings in a relationship characterised by its participants becoming closer and closer while they repeatedly express their low opinions of each other’s respective characters. They often refer to each other as ‘hige’ (beard) and ‘ojou’ (princess) respectively. Here’s School Rumble’s Harima Kenji and Eri Sawachika.

Match Two:

A socially inept teenage counter-terrorist and former child soldier and the nice but short tempered school girl he was assigned to go undercover to protect. Their early interactions were characterised by the girl flip-flopping as to whether the guy was weird but harmless or a creep who was stalking her. After finding out about his mission, she decided that she was going to help him learn to fit in with normal people. Her strategy for doing this often seems to involve beating some sense into him –literally. Despite continuing violence on the part of both the girl and those targeting her, the two eventually develop a strong and mutually supporting relationship. Here’s Full Metal Panic’s Sousuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori.

He’s a fifteen year old dweeb who has been dragged around the world by his family and therefore has few friends. Instead, he immerses himself in books. She’s a sixteen year old girl who was hit by a car when she was twelve, losing the ability to remember anything longer than thirteen hours in the process, causing her to have a constant need for a diary. She keeps trying to write a novel but can never finish it. After a chance meeting in an abandoned train station, he decides to help her with her novel, and the two eventually fall for each other. Here’s EF: A Tale of Memories’ Renji Asou and Chihiro Shindou.

Voting for this set of matches will end on Monday, October 19 at 9:30pm.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Sun 18 Oct 2009 - 7:24

Yay! Tsugumi and Takashi made it even though I missed the vote!

This time...

Match One: Tough one, but I'll go with Beard and Princess

Match Two: Kaname and Sousuke, easily.

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 18 Oct 2009 - 10:08

Match One: Valkyria Chronicle’s Welkin Gunther and Alicia Melchiott.

Match Two: Full Metal Panic’s Sousuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 18 Oct 2009 - 10:33

Match One: Welkin Gunther and Alicia Melchiott

Match Two: defs Sousuke and Kaname
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 18 Oct 2009 - 13:44

Match One: Eri and Harima ftw. Funny that I have two School Rumble couples among my top picks (these two along with Hanai and Mikoto) but like them for such totally different reasons.

Match Two: Sousuke and Kaname. Did I even really need to say it? Laughing

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 18 Oct 2009 - 14:19

Match One: Harima and Eri. They play off each other so well.

Match Two: Sousuke and Kaname. Best duo EVAR? Maybe.

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Mon 19 Oct 2009 - 1:23

Kind of surprised to see Takashi and Tsugumi get this far... I'm wondering if this board has a lot of Ever 17 players or if my description is more potent than I had anticipated.

Match one: Welkin and Alicia.

Match two: Renji and Chihiro. Much as I like Sousake/Kaname, I find the whole thing a bit too tsundere for my liking (same with Harima/Eri, really). Plus I actually have to admit to liking a bit of sap in my anime romances.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Mon 19 Oct 2009 - 14:12

Welkin and Alicia for Match #1 by default since I'm not an Eri/Harima fan. Renji/Chihiro for Match #2 because while I'm not liking moe lately, I'll admit this pairing has better romantic chemistry than the slapstick antics of Kaname and Sousuke.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 19 Oct 2009 - 14:34

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Much as I like Sousake/Kaname, I find the whole thing a bit too tsundere for my liking.

You like Tsugumi and Takashi but find Sousuke and Kaname too tsundere?

Dare I ask what you would have thought of Yomi and Noriyuki if I had thought to nominate them? Laughing (Although I guess in that case, we have Yomi's cool big sister relationship with Kagura to counterbalance her and Noriyuki's slap-slap kiss antics.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 20 Oct 2009 - 0:32

Welkin and Alicia win their match 4-3, while Sousuke and Kaname win their match 5-2. Just as a note, there are now only eight couples remaining out of the original thirty-two. This thing is going to be coming to an end real fast now.

Match One:

Two assassins brought together by the faulty memories of one of them, not fully trusting one another at first... yet as they both uncover more of their intertwined pasts, they come to rely on one another; not just to watch each others' back, but also to share the emotional burden of what life has dealt each of them. Whenever they're at odds bullets fly, but eventually they both accept that they need each other. Unless you're fond of being stabbed by cake forks, don't try to come between Mireille Bouquet and Yuumura Kirika of Noir.

How would you react if you moved to catch a girl who fell from a great height, then discovered she only weighed 5kg? Well, if you were a typical guy, you’d be weirded out, and if you’re a guy who had been restored to 90% human after being turned into a vampire, you’d probably consider the possibility that she might have encountered some sort of spirit and take her to talk to the guy who helped with your occult problem. In this particular case, however, it is worth noting the girl is a somewhat violent type who likes to carry a variety of extremely sharp school supplies concealed on her body and isn’t afraid to threaten people. She even knows to staple the inside of someone’s mouth when threatening them to make sure that the evidence isn’t so obvious! Clearly, only a very helpful and selfless guy is going to put up with her behaviour. Luckily, she’s smart and capable of backing down if you can make her trust you. And she likes talking dirty. Very dirty. Here’s Bakemonogatari’s Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara.

Match Two:

This traveling merchant had the fortune of releasing a wolf deity from a contract that bound her to a local piece of land as a harvest goddess. Luckily for him, she’s interested in traveling north to her homeland, and willing to lend her wisdom to helping him make a profit. Plus, she’s good witty company too, having mannerisms reminiscent of a high class courtesan. On the flip side, she’s also prone to getting angry and playing mind games. Good things he’s one of the few men out
there with a strong enough mind to stand up to and sometimes even get the better of her. Here’s Spice and Wolf’s Craft Lawrence and Horo.

A pair of high school students who have been friends since childhood and attend the same dojo. Unlike some childhood friend pairings where about all the characters have in common is their status as childhood friends, these, these two actually have a lot in common, as they’re both extremely forthright and care a great deal about others. The main difference is that the guy needs to learn not to take everything so seriously while the girl seems to have already learned that. Unfortunately, neither of them recognises the fact that they’re pretty much a perfect match, as they’ve both got their respective infatuations. Particularly the guy, whose interest in a girl one grade below him is frankly obsessive (and doomed, since the younger girl in question is A) shy and B) can read the mind of guys who are interested in her). Hopefully someday they’ll learn to recognise what they’ve got in each other (unadapted manga chapters seem supportive of this). Here’s School Rumble’s Mikoto Suou and Hanai Haruki.

Voting for these matchs will end at 9:30pm Pacific Standard Time on Thursday, October 22.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 20 Oct 2009 - 1:19

Damn. Harima and Eri are out? I gotta find a new pair to put my support behind Puzzled

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 20 Oct 2009 - 9:45

Match One: Bakemonogatari’s Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjoughara.

Match Two:Spice and Wolf’s Craft Lawrence and Horo.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Tue 20 Oct 2009 - 10:21

Match One: Staplers.

Match Two: Lelouch and Kal-Oh wait wrong Anime. Laurence and Horo.

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum