So what next?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So what next?

Post by Piero on Wed 4 Nov 2009 - 0:04

Technically speaking, I'm not sure I'm going to be in a good position to start something for a few weeks yet, as I'm in a busy part of what I expect to be the busiest semester of my two year diploma (got a reduced course load next term). But I figured I could at least start discussing what to do next, even if I wait a few weeks before seriously getting it under way.

I'm thinking of doing a 'cute' tournament next. I think that's partly motivated by the fact that I feel like I'm nominating the same characters, or at least characters from the same series, to damn much. I want to do something that'll draw from a different pool without much overlap. Then again, maybe I'm just letting my own experiences influence my course too much. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea for the next tournament?

I'm also thinking of potentially trying to run a sequel to the anime babes tournament sometime next year. It seems to me with all the new series that have aired, plus the shift in forum demographics, things could go rather differently (and I want to shoot for a larger pool of nominees this time). On the other hand though... I know that I personally wouldn nominate a lot of the same characters I nominated the first time, so maybe a year won't have been long enough.

I'm also wondering what's happening with Triela's villains tournament. Is she still planning to run that? (And if so, I'd better decide whether I want to throw in that extra nomination at some point...)

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: So what next?

Post by Nachtsider on Wed 4 Nov 2009 - 9:14

What do we do next?

The same thing we do every night, Piero. Try to take over the world!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Wed 4 Nov 2009 - 10:33

I wanted to make an anime cooking contest a while back. I still have those ideas.

"The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors." - rustyspring on curling

"The world will listen to me!" - Makoto Itou, butchered translation of School Days

"Bullshit! I want healthy Arf back!" - Piero, on Nanoha season three
Five_X

Male

Forum Posts : 695

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Wed 4 Nov 2009 - 12:20

@Nachtsider wrote:What do we do next?

The same thing we do every night, Piero. Try to take over the world!
NARF!

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 19:31

I still say my cooking contest idea is awesome. Can I make it?

"The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors." - rustyspring on curling

"The world will listen to me!" - Makoto Itou, butchered translation of School Days

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Probit Return on Sun 8 Nov 2009 - 20:58

How about a Badasses of Anime contest? Looking back, we haven't had one, so it would be something of a change of pace. Not terribly generic, and not really catering to a specific gender (because we all know a few badass females, and if you can't think of any, you aren't trying hard enough). Plus, it gives everyone an excuse to discuss their favorite crowning moments of awesome.

What say everyone else?

Did you say "Nerd"?

Fission Mailed

"What do you mean 'What the hell is a Funyarinpa?' You mean... you don't know?"
"How the hell would I know?"
"How could you not know?! That's... that's practically blasphemous! Say you're sorry! Apologize to the Funyarinpa! Goodness, you are such a rude woman..."
Probit Return
That One Guy

Male

Forum Posts : 653

Fan of : Stuff

Original Characters : Adrianna, Nero, Abigail, and now Luca

Registration date : 2008-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 0:43

It's a possibility, although it would overlap with the other tournaments as well, I think (the babes tournament, bishounen tournament, and villains tournament all have had nominees that I think could end up in a badasses tournament). Plus it reminds me a bit of Triela's original tournament.

The other issue is how you prevent a badass tournament from just becoming a 'who's more powerful' tournament. It's a factor, certainly, but it's kind of unfair to put a badass from a highly realistic series against one where people pull off superhuman feats on a regular basis. Though I suppose I could make it a point to say 'this is about who's the most badass, not who has the highest power level'...

So I guess we've got a couple possibilities here... anyone want to chime in?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 4:22

My idea still stands.

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 8:06

@Five_X wrote:I wanted to make an anime cooking contest a while back. I still have those ideas.

My curiosity is getting the better of me... just how would you run that? Are we talking selecting characters that can actually cook? Canon dishes or just based on what's known of the character... I assume no-one's going to be serving up some sweet mod-Oz Razz

Of course, from left field, there could always be some sort of Impossible Top Gear Roadtest Razz
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5739

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 10:16

Okay, that comic was frackin brilliant.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10890

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 10:20

Anime cooking might actually be funny. There are plenty of anime characters who can cook (Ryūji from Toradora!) and plenty who can't (Tomokane and Miki from GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class) and there was that one anime in the early 1990's that was all about cooking (I think they were food critics).

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 10:38

@Kiskaloo wrote:Anime cooking might actually be funny. There are plenty of anime characters who can cook (Ryūji from Toradora!) and plenty who can't (Tomokane and Miki from GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class) and there was that one anime in the early 1990's that was all about cooking (I think they were food critics).

'nuff said... my money's on Ms. Howmei (or however you spell her name) Razz
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5739

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 19:26

The cooking contest would be between characters who can cook, and those who can't. Obviously, there would be two sides to the tournament, and each day or so two new pairs (one bad cooks, one good cooks) would be announced, and the winners of the last would be stated, along with a humourous description of how they won. To keep track, I'd just write all the stuff down. Pretty easy.

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 22:16

@Piero wrote:The other issue is how you prevent a badass tournament from just becoming a 'who's more powerful' tournament. It's a factor, certainly, but it's kind of unfair to put a badass from a highly realistic series against one where people pull off superhuman feats on a regular basis. Though I suppose I could make it a point to say 'this is about who's the most badass, not who has the highest power level'...

Outside of ridiculously powerful characters, I would imagine badasses to be folks who did the craziest things imaginable and not give a hoot over the consequences that occur to them. Normal folks would fit this since there have been normal human characters who put themselves at risk either for the thrill of it, thinking they are better than someone or to save the lives of others. Outside of Dark Schneider and Alucard, Guts from Berserk would be a notable badass since he regularly gets sliced and diced in battle, yet ignores what is inflicted on him and is able to slaughter just about any threat that comes his way, be it human or demon. And the guy isn't even gifted with magic or mystic powers like the two former characters I mentioned.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
-Joker "Batman: The Killing Joke"
If the SWA told Sandro to go fuck a chicken, he would.
-Elfen in Chatbox (3/28/09)
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Tue 10 Nov 2009 - 1:24

in other words, people who fall defined by this trope.
works for me.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 10 Nov 2009 - 2:34

I don't know I'd define it that way either, because there are characters with irregular powers and abilities who I think have every right to be in a 'badasses' tournament. The problem is just how you prevent it from becoming no more then a 'who would win' contest when say, one character is immortal, another pilots a giant mecha, and yet another just happens to be a good shot with a nine millimetre pistol. Not really a fair fight there.

In a way I guess, being 'badass' is more of an impression that a character gives. Problem is, it's also a sort of hard to quantify one, since what makes one character badass can be very different from what makes another character badass.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Tue 10 Nov 2009 - 9:42

Speaking of badasses...

There could always be double polls regarding GSG OC Battle Tournament w/ the girls thrown in for good measure too. (Don't worry, their all using NL if not 'full Nerf')

All nominations must be verified by the authors of said OC, and then a writer shall be designated(or voted upon) to write the actual battle. It WILL piss some...okay most OC creators off as this is done in the sense of a popularity contest instead of a bonafide who could kick who's ass kinda thing. But I still say it could be fun.

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2559

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Tue 10 Nov 2009 - 18:08

Great Idea? Yes.
Having authors write great with other creator's OCs? Difficult, but doable.

Issue is personalities of writers and OCs, and how things are done vs. being agreed too. Things have to be hammered out in order to get it going first.

But at least we can try!

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5676

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Tue 10 Nov 2009 - 19:18

Or, y'know, cooking contest. Or both! Pweeeese, mistah?

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Wed 11 Nov 2009 - 1:07

The OC versus thing and the cooking contest are both outside the scope of what I was looking for here (though someone else is welcome to give it a shot), so I think it largely comes down to whether to do a 'cute' tournament or a 'badass' tournament next. I might well try to do both of them, actually, though not both at once.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Wed 11 Nov 2009 - 1:44

Quoted from the Anime/Videogame villians thread:
@Triela wrote:
@Whatface wrote:I nominate Miyuki Takara from Lucky Star.

Why? Because she is BORRRRRRING!!

They keep on trying to cram the fact that she is "moe" down our throats, when in fact she is the most lame character in the series.
All she does is quote from the encyclopedia and provide a pair of tits.
Plus she steals Tsukasa's screen time -.-

... I don't think she has villain status Whatface. We CAn do a most annoying anime/video game tournament! XD
This is actually a pretty good idea: an annoying characters tournament.
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Wed 11 Nov 2009 - 2:43

I shall definitely take it upon myself to manage the cooking contest! It will be , I swear!

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 0:06

I think at this point I'm going to run a 'cute' tournament first (or maybe a 'adorable' tournament) then a badass tournament after that. I'm not keen on doing an 'annoying' tournament. I'm not sure how much support it would have and I'd worry about divisions if some of the people on the board happen to be fans of a character who ends up in that. I'd rather concentrate on positive rather then negative voting.

Doing up some profiles tonight, should hopefully have a nomination thread using them as samples up soon.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 19 Nov 2009 - 20:20

When it comes time for the Cooking Challenge tournament, I am nominating Suō Pavlichenko:

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Thu 19 Nov 2009 - 22:28

Myessss. The Cooking Contest will be a huge step towards world domination. Muahahaha! One small step for a man, one giant leap for... me.

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum