The World News Thread

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The World News Thread

Post by LoC978 on Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 17:40

...so there was a shooting today at Fort Hood, TX. motive and such is unclear, but it was men in ACUs shooting up essentially what amounts to a deployment processing center, so...

I mean, I've wanted to kill certain people associated with Army bureaucracy before, so I can sympathize... but to actually gun 'em down in broad daylight, and at work no less..?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The World News Thread

Post by MikhailN on Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 18:08

@LoC978 wrote:...so there was a shooting today at Fort Hood, TX. motive and such is unclear, but it was men in ACUs shooting up essentially what amounts to a deployment processing center, so...

I mean, I've wanted to kill certain people associated with Army bureaucracy before, so I can sympathize... but to actually gun 'em down in broad daylight, and at work no less..?

They're probably a bunch of misguided souls protesting some anti-war thingy. The stupid thing is that shooting these people only turns you into a criminal. If they wanted to mount an effective war protest, they should go shoot up a general's house or something

MikhailN

Male

Forum Posts : 583

Fan of : Triela

Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 18:11

I very much doubt it is an anti-war or anti-military protest. They don't carry out these kinds of actions.

I expect it's active military personnel who have decided to undertake a really bad "fragging" or are yet more misguided "patriots" who believe that to save The Republic they must first overthrow it.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10875

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 21:20

I did not see this one coming:
Authorities have not identified the gunman publicly, but official sources have named Major Malik Nadal Hasan, a psychiatrist who reportedly didn't believe in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and wanted out of the military before he was set to be deployed overseas.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Toma-kun on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 0:49

There's more than one way to get out of active service, not so sure I would have stooped to that extreme regardless of how strongly I felt about the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

That being said, the motive behind his actions probably isn't as simple as we think.

RPG Reactor
Toma-kun

Male

Forum Posts : 134

Fan of : GSG, Boogiepop

Comments : Has a luck stat of 1.

Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 1:38

Is it discriminatory of me to say that I suspected a Muslim soldier right from the get-go?

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Toma-kun on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 1:46

When I first heard the gunman was a US soldier, I thought perhaps it was just some dumb hick who had deep seated emotional and psychological problems that the military managed to miss during the screening process.

After I heard it was a Major that did it, which meant he had to have been well educated and trained, then the "must have been Muslim" lights started to go off.

RPG Reactor
Toma-kun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 2:03

@Toma-kun wrote:There's more than one way to get out of active service, not so sure I would have stooped to that extreme regardless of how strongly I felt about the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
...just one problem with that line of thought... the guy's dead now, and he had to know there would be men patrolling the area with force protection ammo on 'em.
@Nachtsider wrote:Is it discriminatory of me to say that I suspected a Muslim soldier right from the get-go?
@Toma-kun wrote:After I heard it was a Major that did it, which meant he had to have been well educated and trained, then the "must have been Muslim" lights started to go off.
honestly, same thing flashed in my head... and I've met several officers who run the gamut of ranks who managed to forget every damned thing they ever learned in OTC... well, except for maybe "You're better than any enlisted man ever born"

Still, I can never boil it down to something that simple... though that's probably due to me having several well-educated muslim friends when was still active (two of whom were officers, one of whom was a chaplain... even wore the crescent moon on his beret.).
...I don't remember any of the passages, not being the religious type myself, but every educated muslim I ever talked to could quote passages in Arabic and several translations that pretty well condemned current extremists to hell. If he really was a 'devout muslim', and he did what he did for religious reasons... well, his religion wasn't part of his education.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 2:19

I know it sounds really bad, but Muslim was the first thing I thought of also.

And the guy was a Psychiatrist?
FOX News wrote:For six years before reporting for duty at Fort Hood, Texas, in July, the 39-year-old Army major worked at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center pursuing his career in psychiatry, as an intern, a resident and, last year, a fellow in disaster and preventive psychiatry.
WTF?

Last edited by Danjo3 on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 2:30; edited 1 time in total

I dont hate him specifically, its the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 2:23

@LoC978 wrote:
@Toma-kun wrote:There's more than one way to get out of active service, not so sure I would have stooped to that extreme regardless of how strongly I felt about the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
...just one problem with that line of thought... the guy's dead now, and he had to know there would be men patrolling the area with force protection ammo on 'em.
@Nachtsider wrote:Is it discriminatory of me to say that I suspected a Muslim soldier right from the get-go?
@Toma-kun wrote:After I heard it was a Major that did it, which meant he had to have been well educated and trained, then the "must have been Muslim" lights started to go off.
honestly, same thing flashed in my head... and I've met several officers who run the gamut of ranks who managed to forget every damned thing they ever learned in OTC... well, except for maybe "You're better than any enlisted man ever born"

Still, I can never boil it down to something that simple... though that's probably due to me having several well-educated muslim friends when was still active (two of whom were officers, one of whom was a chaplain... even wore the crescent moon on his beret.).
...I don't remember any of the passages, not being the religious type myself, but every educated muslim I ever talked to could quote passages in Arabic and several translations that pretty well condemned current extremists to hell. If he really was a 'devout muslim', and he did what he did for religious reasons... well, his religion wasn't part of his education.

I suspect the Quran is a lot like the Bible. In other words, it can be interpreted a lot of different ways depending on the reader.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 2:25

@Piero wrote:I suspect the Quran is a lot like the Bible. In other words, it can be interpreted a lot of different ways depending on the reader.

Islam also does not have one official voice on doctrine, ala the Pope in Roman Catholicism (though even there we see plenty of Catholics who don't follow the Vatican). Any Imam can issue a fatwa so two Imams can take polar opposite views on something and each has equal weight.

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 7:15

Man, the mere fact he's Muslim is going to kick up a whole load of fuss. I hope this guy's stunt doesn't alienate other Muslims and make them extremist as well. I'm also worried about the fact this happened in a military base. Man that's the last place I'd thought a massicure of this scale would happen. Shootings are happening everywhere lately...

Who was the person who stopped him? The news said it was a female civilian but it didn't give out any names.

Who is that hot glasses wearing babe I wonder...
sasahara17

Male

Forum Posts : 1001

Fan of : GSGs? Claes-sama and Elsa-chan. Outside that? Bloodhound Jr. and Saber

Original Characters : Wilfred Sheppard, I-CARE agent.

Comments : A walking idea powerhouse.

Registration date : 2007-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 12:13

....it seems reports of Maj. Hasan's death were greatly exaggerated...

anyway, he was shot four times by 'first responders', which I take to mean a local unit's Quick Reactionary Force... or maybe some MPs. I imagine the 'female first responder' mentioned in the news article is a junior enlisted soldier... well, either that or a civilian cop.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Toma-kun on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 12:47

She was a civilian police officer. Anyone else find it weird that he was shot by a civilian and not a soldier?

RPG Reactor
Toma-kun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 13:19

a little... maybe Ft. Hood is just set up that different from the places I've been. Hell, on Knox, he probably would've been run over by a Stryker.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 19:28

Around here everyone's freaking out - I live in the DFW area. At our football game last night we had a moment of silence that lasted about ten minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 22:33

@sasahara17 wrote:Man, the mere fact he's Muslim is going to kick up a whole load of fuss. I hope this guy's stunt doesn't alienate other Muslims and make them extremist as well. I'm also worried about the fact this happened in a military base. Man that's the last place I'd thought a massicure of this scale would happen. Shootings are happening everywhere lately...

I'm having trouble deciding if I consider this guy an actual extremist or just a guy who snapped. Because of the circumstances the line is kind of fuzzy.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by MikhailN on Fri 6 Nov 2009 - 22:51

@0utf0xZer0 wrote:
@sasahara17 wrote:Man, the mere fact he's Muslim is going to kick up a whole load of fuss. I hope this guy's stunt doesn't alienate other Muslims and make them extremist as well. I'm also worried about the fact this happened in a military base. Man that's the last place I'd thought a massicure of this scale would happen. Shootings are happening everywhere lately...

I'm having trouble deciding if I consider this guy an actual extremist or just a guy who snapped. Because of the circumstances the line is kind of fuzzy.

The most likely scenario is that he just snapped. By most accounts he's a devout Muslim (albeit a bit on the extremist side). At the same time he wants to fight for America. Note that he joined the Army against his parent's wishes. Sadly the recent War Against Terror is commonly associated with America fighting Muslims (I know a bunch of people will jump me after this comment, but that's the popular misconception - terrorists = Muslims) so this poor chap has a major conflict. Coupled with his occupational hazard (try talking to crazy people every day and you may just join them) you have a recipe for disaster.

I assure you some "analysts" will claim that this was bound to happen, then forward their own agenda about how the Army needs to reform etc etc. I don't care. The biggest issue now is how people will react after all this. God Bless America if people go nuts and start lynching random Muslims on the street

MikhailN

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 0:08

Well the Major is a natural born US citizen who joined prior to 9/11 so ...

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 6:50

NOT a guy that "just snapped". He had a long history of speaking out against the war, at least twice in front of superiors, and to the tune of hoping the jihadists defeat us. He also prepared for it in the typical "not-coming-home" way, by giving away his furniture and even handing out copies of the Koran.

He was trying to be a martyr for the jihadist way of life. His reasons for deciding to be such, such as having to deploy to Iraq, etc, are not relevant. I'm glad he failed in that, and I want my tax dollars to go towards healing him so we can put him on trial and then execute him when found guilty.

As to racism:
It's not profiling to watch Muslims carefully for hints that they are terrorists, especially considering that more than 80% of modern-day terrorist attacks are committed by Muslims.

It's not profiling, it's common sense.

If someone wants to live their life worshipping Mohammed and Allah via the Koran, so be it. What really should make everyone pause and consider how much of a pass is given to them is the fact that their religion is only a single part of their culture. They are commanded to spread not just their religion, but their social, economic, and judicial ways of life as well, and these are what we should be concerned about. Those are entirely at odds with our own culture, they can never mix because they are entirely 180 from each other.

When the Islamic groups move into an area, they take it over, and then instill their own law and social structure to that. If they meet resistance, they use our own system against us. France is a good example, along with Britain. Several places in the midwest here have enclaves that are pushing the locals out by any possible means. A few cities also have sections where the cops have been ordered not to enter for fear of civil rights violations levied by Muslims. In these places, it is their own law that matters, not the federal, state, or local governments.

Glocks are not the shit. Glocks can fail the same as any other gun. I've seen it personally, and have even heard first-hand accounts of something as basic as a slide-retaining pin snapping, the slide flying off. Get over the obsession and buy what fits your hand, your wallet, and ability.
maverick375

Male

Forum Posts : 823

Fan of : manga

Original Characters : Jamie

Comments : GUNS!!!! MUWAHAHA

Oh, and swords. Swords are kewl too.

Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 10:51

Much of the talk of "media bias" is baloney, but I do think that the fact that most Western media are staffed and owned by people who would identify themselves as Christians or Jews has helped create the stereotype that all terrorists are Muslim and by extension all Muslims are terrorists.

When an Israeli settler goes on a rampage, they are never reported as being "Jewish Extremists" or "Jewish Fundamentalists" or "terrorists". Nor during "The Troubles" were the IRA or the UVF commonly (if ever) referred in the media as "Catholic / Protestant Extremists / Fundamentalists".

In fact, calling a Christian a fundamentalist is a badge of pride with many of them, and yet it is used as a pejorative with Muslims. Christian groups who call for literal interpretations of the Bible are considered "good" people, while those who call for a literal interpretation of the Qur'an are seen as dangerous, backwards savages.

Oh well. Maybe the answer is in a political cartoon that came out shortly after 9/11. A grandfather and grandson are standing before a memorial and the grandson asks - "What's this?". The grandfather replies. "It's a memorial remembering when Arabs cowardly attacked the United States on September 11, 2001.". The child then asks "What's an Arab?".

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 11:35

@maverick375 wrote:I'm glad he failed in that, and I want my tax dollars to go towards healing him so we can put him on trial and then execute him when found guilty.

As to racism:
It's not profiling to watch Muslims carefully for hints that they are terrorists, especially considering that more than 80% of modern-day terrorist attacks are committed by Muslims.

It's not profiling, it's common sense.
Amen brother.

I dont hate him specifically, its the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 11:53

But how does one "watch" for a religion? Not all Muslim men are members of the Taliban and walk around with long beards and turbans. Not all Muslim women wear the burqa or the hijab. So how do I identify a Muslim?

Do we require the population to wear a symbol identifying their religious affiliation on their clothing? Do atheists and non-theists (such as myself) even have a symbol we can wear?

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MikhailN on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 12:46

@Kiskaloo wrote:Do we require the population to wear a symbol identifying their religious affiliation on their clothing? Do atheists and non-theists (such as myself) even have a symbol we can wear?

Don't you dare go into that area. That's the first step towards disaster. Back in Nazi Germany, Jews had to wear the Star of David to identify themselves as Jews. By forcing upon groups this kind of distinguishing feature, you are segregating them by religion and that is the first step to discrimination on a large scale like what happened in Nazi Germany.

@Kiskaloo wrote:But how does one "watch" for a religion? Not all Muslim men are members of the Taliban and walk around with long beards and turbans. Not all Muslim women wear the burqa or the hijab. So how do I identify a Muslim?

Do we require the population to wear a symbol identifying their religious affiliation on their clothing? Do atheists and non-theists (such as myself) even have a symbol we can wear?

Or do we just assume that if they are of Arabic decent or have an "Arabic sounding" name, they are most likely Muslim? But at that point, doesn't "religious profiling" become "racial / ethnic profiling"?

So what if they're Muslim? You do know that not all Muslims are out to kill Americans.

Generally speaking, religion, race and society are often mixed up because to a layman, if you come from the Middle East you're supposed to wear turbans and pray 5 times a day. It's a misconception because most insurgents that you see in the media fit that mould exactly. They forget that there are people who don't fit that image perfectly (like our Major over here). And it's not helping that America defines the War on Terror based on religious lines. And it's not just George Bush making that mistake. President Obama recently gave a speech on "reaching out to the Muslim world." Up to today I don't understand who exactly he's trying to reach out to.

Let's put this case in perspective. This guy here is a devout Muslim, perhaps a little on the extreme side, and an American. Despite what the media might speculate, he is NOT a terrorist. At the moment there are no confirmed links with him and Al-Qaeda or Iran or whatever you like and until the statement comes out that he was acting on behalf of a terrorist organization we should not lose sight of this fact.

MikhailN

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 13:42

@MikhailN wrote:So what if they're Muslim? You do know that not all Muslims are out to kill Americans?

I do indeed know that all Muslims are not out to kill Americans. I work with them. I'm friends and neighbors with them. I've studied their history and religion for decades. All of this has shown me that I need not fear a Muslim anymore than I need to fear a Christian or a Jew or a Zoroastrian or most any other religion.

Fearing Christian Scientists, on the other hand... Wink

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 14:15

Then again there's those pesky Jedi.

Futurama had it wrong!

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2560

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 14:57

Talk like this worries me; worries me in that we are heading along the lines of Nazi Germany and tagging Muslims as they did Jews.

Now... in my mind there is only two possible solution, both on the extremist levels of making such actions justifiable.

1) The Muslim religion has had a long history of violence. First to defend itself when it was created some 1200+ years ago, and then hundreds of years of killing those not willing to convert. Then there was a time of peace, followed by the era of the Crusades and the Spanish chasing the 'Infedals' out of Spain in the 1400's all because a Syphillac Insane Muslim emporer of the time decided that it would be right to declare war on the world. Now, given a few more hundred years of peace, and then the sudden outbreak of violence repeats itself again. This time caused by the reaction against Eygptian President Nasser actions to modernized Egypt from its 900AD backwards way of life to the 1960's (the time when this happened). This included damming the Nile (thus creating Lake Nasser), and arresting many Muslims who did not want to change their way of life back then, where the Lake now stand was their fertile farm lands. While in Jail, these Muslims created the "Brotherhood of Islam" and all decided to create their own edic and jihad against all those who supported Nader, the damming of the Nile and the Modernization of Egypt. Sadly, when Sadat came into power upon Nasser's death, Sadat released the jailed muslims who would later assassinate him. Since then they have joined with groups like Al-Quida and the Taliban, spreading their ideas of violence and revenge. Enough of the history lesson. The solution is to round up these people- family and all, and exterminate them all, like the Nazis did the Jews. I'm not saying- to do this to all Muslims- only to these extremist groups causing the problems for everyone else. For it is these extremists that are causing the problem, then they should be surgically removed like a cancerous tumor from an otherwise healthy body. Problems here are identifying them, then rounding them up and finally their extermination.

2) Accept them as for who and what they are. Reeducate them to accept the social values that everyone else lives by today- including other Muslims. Problem here is their willingness and acceptance to participate in such a reeducation scheme.

Other than that- nothing else can be done. One has to live out their lives and do their best in living. One can only do but so much in an emergency. In my mind, America has gotten too soft on dealing with criminals and idiots who wish to harm society. We should go back to cowboy diplomacy and Mutual Annillation. This way- places like Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and North Korea can go have their nuclear bombs and hump it too, but use it on anyone as a means to send a message- the US should reply in dropping the MOAN (Mother Of All Nukes) upon their little pointy heads and let them glow for the next 50,000 years! It worked with the Soviets for over 40+ years...

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5667

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 15:07

I find it somewhat of an interesting dichotomy in that when the Western Roman Empire fell and the Roman Catholic Church took over, Europe entered "the Dark Ages" as science and reason were buried under a thick coating of spiritualism and superstition resulting in a marginal existence for most of the population. At the same time, the Islamic Caliphate busied itself advancing science, technology and civilization and their citizens lived extremely fruitful lives.

Now, almost two centuries later, the West is seen as the pinnacle of human technological and social advancement while "fundamentalist Islam" wishes to put their people into their own "Dark Age".

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 15:46

I don't believe that all Muslims are radicals, the same as I don't believe all Christians are abortion-clinic bombers.
Any "faith" that says that those who disagree with you should be put to death is a faith that is self-destructive and is going to fizzle out when they get their asses stomped by someone smarter and/or stronger. Most of the Judeo-Christian sects have learned this and get along with each other and with other religions that actually prefer peace to violence. You don't see many bloody battles between Buddhists and Catholics, right? There are certainly passages in the Bible that have been/could be perverted into a call for "jihad" or even genocide, given the wrong set of minds twisting it. A lot of bad things have been done in the name of whatever gods people believe in.

That said, the Islamic faith is tied strongly together throughout the world, and there are a lot of supposedly peaceful mosques funneling monies to those who are actually waging a war against the infidels. The penalties for a truly peaceful person who rats out the "haters" is death or worse, so how many are going to step bravely forward to be cut down?

If a peace-loving Muslim wants to live next door to me, fine, be my guest, I don't care what they do, it's their right. If their radical cousin stops by and starts tossing hateful looks and words at me from across the property line, I'm going to be concerned that my neighbor isn't as peaceful as he seems.

If you don't want to be seen as a stereo-type, don't hang with them.

Glocks are not the shit. Glocks can fail the same as any other gun. I've seen it personally, and have even heard first-hand accounts of something as basic as a slide-retaining pin snapping, the slide flying off. Get over the obsession and buy what fits your hand, your wallet, and ability.
maverick375

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 15:52

The trick is, Islam does not call exclusively for non-believers to be put to death any more than the Bible or Torah do, though you can read such calls in both, as well.

As with the Bible and the Torah, there are plenty of passages in the Qur'an that call for peaceful conversion of or co-existance with people who profess other faiths.

In fact, as religions go, Islam has been more tolerant of other faiths living amongst them throughout it's history than Christianity or Judaism.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 15:56

@maverick375 wrote:That said, the Islamic faith is tied strongly together throughout the world, and there are a lot of supposedly peaceful mosques funneling monies to those who are actually waging a war against the infidels. The penalties for a truly peaceful person who rats out the "haters" is death or worse, so how many are going to step bravely forward to be cut down?

And US Roman Catholic church parishioners provided plenty of funds to the IRA during "The Troubles". And during the second Bush Administration, significant numbers of Christian Zionists provided monies to Israeli groups working to purge the Palestinian presence within the Holy Land.

And those groups didn't exactly treat "traitors" and "finks" with kindness...

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 16:08

As I see it, one is either part of the problem or its solution.
I can live with anyone in peace and harmony, even help out those in need who genuinely asks for that help. But the matter is everyone is so willing to push their own agenda and ideas for what they think would be a better world, I say- shut up and look at the options being offered! The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. But, one has to say that there are instances where the needs of the one outwieghs the needs of the few or the many. This is not as simple as one may think but it is.

If in order to save one life you have to kill another or even a few (as in a commission of a crime), then do so. But if one decides to kill because they believe it is the right thing to do (as in participation of a crime), then they should get their little heads blown off with a 10 gauge!

I dont care about how one religion preaches its congreagation, as long as it does not call for erradication, extermination or terrorist deeds of others. That is where I draw the line. Anyone not willing to do the right thing when knowing about such activities and has the power to do something about it but does nothing is another line I draw. Who knows, with all this damn line drawing, I might be able to put it up in some art muesum in NYC...

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 16:15

History leassons are all fine and good, but it has little bearing on what happened at Fort Hood. It was a hate crime, plain and simple. It was terrorism, plain and simple.

Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 16:20

Yes, but I do not believe that an entire ethnicity or religion should be held accountable or actionable for it. Madness, hate and terror are, unfortunately, equal opportunity, as the shooting spree yesterday in Orlando and the assassination of a police officer here in Seattle last Saturday are proof of.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 16:24; edited 2 times in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 16:21

@maverick375 wrote:NOT a guy that "just snapped". He had a long history of speaking out against the war, at least twice in front of superiors, and to the tune of hoping the jihadists defeat us. He also prepared for it in the typical "not-coming-home" way, by giving away his furniture and even handing out copies of the Koran.

He was trying to be a martyr for the jihadist way of life. His reasons for deciding to be such, such as having to deploy to Iraq, etc, are not relevant. I'm glad he failed in that, and I want my tax dollars to go towards healing him so we can put him on trial and then execute him when found guilty.

Define "to the tune of hoping the jihadists defeat us". His statements about the war are the one thing I haven't been finding much about, so I'm curious as to what he said.

From what I've seen the Afghanistan deployment is signficant. I'm quite willing to call him a grey area between extremism and snapping because his objections to being deployed were religious, but I can't see an actual jihadist waiting until he got a deployment order before going postal.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 16:45

We got it Kisk, you dont like Catholics. Lets just concentrate on Fort Hood.

Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 16:50

Ah, so now that we're at "that" stage in the discussion, I'll ignore this thread from now on. Cya!

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 21:59

That was uncalled for Danjo. I am Catholic- worst- I am of a particular Sect of Roman Catholics who will defend the church during holy war when called upon by the pope. Anyways- I find what Kisk said not offensive to me, my beliefs or those of my kind. So lets end the name calling now.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions whether they are right or wrong for doing so. But no one is allowed to verbally assault one for their opinions or beliefs, and commit them to silence here as far as I see it. That is what I am pointing out there. Lets end the name calling now, we are all adults here and show know better.

@Kiskaloo wrote:Yes, but I do not believe that an entire ethnicity or religion should be held accountable or actionable for it. Madness, hate and terror are, unfortunately, equal opportunity, as the shooting spree yesterday in Orlando and the assassination of a police officer here in Seattle last Saturday are proof of.
There are differences in that where the latter 2 crimes were perpetrated by individuals with their own agenda and this guy from FT Hood following a personal "order from god", which is the excuse Muslim Terrorist Extremists use. Furthermore the latter 2 crimes killed 1 or 2 people in the height of passion of the execution of the crime by a lone perpetrator. Scores were planned out to be killed and were killed or wounded in Ft Hood. I will bet $10 to dimes that his idiot was planning to kill more if he could have, as his state of mind was set and programming like his bus blowing up counter parts in Israel and the Middle East. That is the difference between the stated crimes.

Another problem is what my brother tells me, he is a current Ranger in the US Army in the DMZ in Korea, is that there are many Muslim Extremists in the US Army that had been stopped by the actions of another solider putting a round into their heads when they go jihad on a base and then the matter is immediately silenced after the arrest of his living friends and family for questioning. My friend on the USS New York also says the same thing. The reason this is in the news is that a Civilian Peace Offer (aka Police Officer) was the one who took down this one, and all their conversations are captured by the reporter's police scanners. Now that the reporters heard of this, they flew to Ft Hood faster then NYC Pigeons would to a dropped slice of pizza on the sidewalk, and put the news- LIVE AT FT. HOOD! Now the bleeding hearts of liberal Americans are saying... "Oh... poor thing, he should have gotten help long ago!" Please- he's a programmed terrorist, and should have been shot a long time ago. I will bet dollars to dimes that it will be discovered that he was at an Al Quida Training camp some 12 years ago, but left because training was too hard... That would be messed up because he managed to easily do US Army training rather easily.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 22:17

@Danjo3 wrote:History leassons are all fine and good, but it has little bearing on what happened at Fort Hood. It was a hate crime, plain and simple. It was terrorism, plain and simple.
It has a lot of bearing on what happened at Ft Hood. The Brotherhood of Islam, Al Quida and the Taliban are three Muslim Extremist Terrorist groups united in the eradication and extermination of those against their ideas against modernization of their world. They also throw in being against the formation and for the destruction of the State of Israel and their supports, which includes the USA and they have been sending terrorists and suicide squads to promote their ideas by killing as many people that they can in a single blow. This is what is going on. This is its history. Know thy enemy better than he knows you, and he is sitting with you on the bus, rides your planes and watches your movies in the same theaters you do. They got a head start on us. Period.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Sat 7 Nov 2009 - 22:23

so anyway, we've all said our piece on that story...

on to more bad news!

NATO Airstrike Said to Kill 7 Afghan Soldiers. Whether it was NATO that killed 'em or not, reports of friendly fire on locals is pretty much the last thing we need over there...

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile on Sun 8 Nov 2009 - 3:58

In other news Another super typhoon hits the Philippines (7th already), good news is, Press is so busy reporting on the typhoons that everyone totally forgot to talk about the upcoming preisdential election which everyone knows will just be bull shit

Photobucket
Just cause I'm dead, doesn't mean I can't be your Loli Fantasy!
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Forum Posts : 1747

Fan of : Triela, Elsa, Enrica & Henrietta

Original Characters : Lance Kane/Raphael, Ella, Mina & Brandon, Sophia & Wesley, Anica & Andrew, Rio de Sica, Marionette

Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sun 8 Nov 2009 - 5:09

@Kiskaloo wrote:Ah, so now that we're at "that" stage in the discussion, I'll ignore this thread from now on.
Im afraid it was at the stage from the very start. Religion and politics never play well in forums.

Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Sun 8 Nov 2009 - 9:45

@LoC978 wrote:so anyway, we've all said our piece on that story...

on to more bad news!

NATO Airstrike Said to Kill 7 Afghan Soldiers. Whether it was NATO that killed 'em or not, reports of friendly fire on locals is pretty much the last thing we need over there...

They'll just blame it on PMC's anyway. Ah, memories of Sandline.

@Danjo3 wrote:
@Kiskaloo wrote:Ah, so now that we're at "that" stage in the discussion, I'll ignore this thread from now on.
Im afraid it was at the stage from the very start. Religion and politics never play well in forums.

Of course not!! If it did on forums(or anywhere else for that matter) there would be no Gunslinger Girl.

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2560

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sun 8 Nov 2009 - 9:57

@boomer_gonz wrote:Of course not!! If it did on forums(or anywhere else for that matter) there would be no Gunslinger Girl.
Very true my friend, very true.

Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Toma-kun on Sun 8 Nov 2009 - 13:06

Going back to the Ft. Hood shootings, apparently the gunman used a FN 5.7 to commit the murders. A little unfortunate because the 57 already has a pretty tarnished reputation as a cop killer despite the fact that this was probably the only high profile shooting it's ever been involved in, the AP rounds are not commercially available, and its price point puts it out of reach of the garden variety gun-toting thug.

I hope this doesn't pave the way to getting it banned, even though we only get the neutered version here in California, it's still a nice piece.

RPG Reactor
Toma-kun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 16:00

I hope not, as I would not mind a Five-SeveN and a P90.

Speaking of heavy-hitting ammunition (n this case, 5.56mm NATO), here in Seattle, it appears that the "person of interest" in the assassination of one Seattle police officer and the attempted assassination of another is now an official suspect and appears to have had a long history of anti-police and an assault rifle found at his residence is considered as the probable weapon used in the assassination.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 16:33

And on a lighter note, the LRC is down yet again - this time because a bird dropped a piece of baguette into it and damaged it.

...ugh.

Oh well, maybe Fermilab will find the Higg's Boson.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 18:59

I'm still waiting on the finding of the first naturally decaying proton, which if it does happen, will prove that there is an end to this universe... a very cold and dead end.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 on Mon 9 Nov 2009 - 22:05

Anyone find it odd that at least one news agency has called the Seattle shooter a 'domestic terrorist', but everyone is toeing around doing the same for the yahoo shouting Allah Akbahl or whatever?

Just an observation.

maverick375

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 16 Nov 2009 - 15:31

Space Shuttle Atlantis has successfully launched from Kennedy Space Center and is on her way to orbit and the ISS.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum