'Cute' Tournament Nomination Thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'Cute' Tournament Nomination Thread

Post by Piero on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 2:41

This is the nomination thread for the 'Cute' tournament. Now, what we're looking for here isn't so much generic cuteness. What you should be aiming for here is distinct cuteness that makes an impact. Think 'brain meltingly adorable.' And no, that does not mean going into Tastes Like Diabetes territory. Weren't not looking for an overload of generic cute. Use your judgement.

Rules are pretty simple. Include one paragraph and one picture that is approximately 640x480 in size. You can have up to three additional pictures of similar size, but they should be linked to rather than immediately visible.

I will be posting a set of examples momentarily.

Also, I will start keeping a list of the nominations in this post.

List:

Canaan -Canaan
Ein -Cowboy Bebop
Ellis -El Cazador de la Bruja
Kagura Tsuchimiya -Ga-Rei Zero
Kiki -Kiki's Delivery Service
Kyonko -The Genderbending of Haruhi Suzimiya
Moka Ashakiya -Rosario + Vampire
Nadeko Sengoku -Bakemonogatari
Nana -Elfen Lied
Natsuki Kuga -Mai-HiME
Rika Furude -Higurashi
Sora Kajiwara -Sketchbook
The Tachikomas -Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
YunYun -Canaan

Last edited by Piero on Tue 17 Nov 2009 - 1:53; edited 1 time in total

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Cute' Tournament Nomination Thread

Post by Piero on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 3:01

A mercenary girl hailing from somewhere in the Middle East. She’s extremely badass and has been shown to be more or less unstoppable when she gets serious, due in part to the extreme form of synthesia she possesses (which more or less gives her a sixth sense in combat). She’s also prone to behaving in a very playful and childlike fashion. Is fond of both stuffed dolls and firearms, since they’re both things her synthesia doesn’t assign a coloured glow to. Frequently subject to moments that make it seem like she needs a big hug. Here’s Canaan, from the anime of the same name.

A very young Canaan being dug out of the rubble of a devastated building. Don't you just want to take her home?
Arguably, not much has changed.

The sole heir of a powerful exorcist family, this girl was initially raised in a very strict environment due to the responsibilities she was being prepared to shoulder. She then lost one of her parents and ended up being kind of neglected as her remaining parent had to concentrate on the family’s spiritual responsibilities. Ended up being so pitiful that her elder cousin Yomi (whom was herself adopted) begged/pleaded/cajoled until she and her foster father (this character’s uncle) were allowed to take responsibility for her. She eventually became more cheerful due to Yomi’s machinations. Of course, this character being from the series she’s part of, things turned really horrible for her again later on. Is very fond of pocky and is often subject to being glomped by her older cousin/sworn sister, with whom she has a lot of rather cute scenes. Here’s Ga-Rei Zero’s Kagura Tsuchimiya.

A younger Kagura shortly after her arrival at her cousin's home.
The younger Kagura again.

One of Kagura's many cute scenes with her cousin/sworn sister Yomi.

A girl who was involuntarily used as a test subject for a biological weapon known as the Ua virus. She didn’t manifest any useful abilities, but still needs medication to stay alive. She’s more or less considered disposable by the group who tested the virus on her, as her main contact among them (who also provides her medication) is more than willing to point out. Generally notable for being adorably pathetic and trying way too hard at basically everything, from restaurant waitressing (where she stuffed her dress with the restaurants giant sized meat buns) to hostage taking (see the pic below). Despite how much her life sucks, she somehow manages to maintain a generally cheerful demeanour. She eventually switches sides in spite of the fact that it puts her life at risk (as noted above, she requires medication to stay alive). Here’s Canaan’s Sun Yun Mei, better known as “Yun Yun.”

Hostage taking, Yun Yun style. The actual scene is even more over the top than the screenshot suggests.
Apparently, Hakko likes Yun Yun's hair.

And, seeing as I've nominated her in two previous tournaments (well, okay, she was part of a nomination in the couples tournament) and will likely be nominating her in the badasses tournament as well, here's my #1 all purpose nominee (who is actually not my all time favorite anime girl, she's more like about #3, but damn if she isn't versatile):

A tough biker girl who is focused on avenging her mother’s death. She’s quite aloof and likes to show that she’s above anything that could be perceived as stupid, silly, or trivial. In reality however, she’s putting on a completely unnecessary tough girl act because the circumstances surrounding her mother’s death have made it extremely difficult for her to let other people get close to her (due at least in part to trust issues). Naturally, this tendency towards avoiding relationships has left her with somewhat stunted social skills, and her attempts to be maintain her façade are often thwarted by the fact that she’s actually rather irritable and very easy to embarrass. Oh yeah, and she really likes cute puppies. Here’s Mai-HiME’s Natsuki Kuga.

A younger Natsuki. As noted previously, she has some issues trusting other people.
Dressed up in the karaoke stage outfit someone forced her to wear kindly picked out for her.
She spends much of the series looking either embarassed or pissed off. Sometimes both at the same time.

Okay, yes, my tastes in 'cute' are arguably a little bit odd... Laughing

Last edited by Piero on Fri 13 Nov 2009 - 0:17; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added in a video for Kagura's nomination.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 3:58

Wait,does it have to be a girl?Does it have to be human?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise."Alden Nowlan
"Happy is the one who's able to laugh at himself:he's sure to be entertained for a long time"

Totoum

Male

Forum Posts : 480

Fan of : claes

Registration date : 2007-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 4:08

@Totoum wrote:Wait,does it have to be a girl?Does it have to be human?

No, it doesn't have to be a girl. I'm a little unsure whether it's a good idea to open it up to things that aren't human or at least humanoid though. I hadn't considered that in too much depth. Can I get back to you on that one?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 4:31

Cursed by both the boy she rejected and the girl who liked
said boy, this very shy, very cute 14 year old girl ends up being saved by the guy who
always deals with girl’s supernatural problems in her area: AKA her best friend’s
high school aged older brother. Whom she
has a major unrequited crush on. She is
known for acting as if said friend’s older brother couldn’t possibly think of
her in a dirty way since he’s three years older, however, it is not clear if
she’s just that naively innocent or if she’s really a closet pervert behind all
that shyness. She also takes much of her
fashion advice from said friends’s older brother’s lesbian friend, and much of
this advice is rather sketchy in nature.
Gets very flustered and embarrassed around girls who she thinks might
constitute “competition”. Here’s Bakemonogatari’s Nadeko Sengoku:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VHMA4AcZNs

Alternate pic: http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4159/nadeko2.jpg

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0 on Tue 15 Dec 2009 - 17:14; edited 1 time in total
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 4:56

@Piero wrote:
@Totoum wrote:Wait,does it have to be a girl?Does it have to be human?

No, it doesn't have to be a girl. I'm a little unsure whether it's a good idea to open it up to things that aren't human or at least humanoid though. I hadn't considered that in too much depth. Can I get back to you on that one?

Sure,want me to PM you with what I had in mind?

"The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise."Alden Nowlan
"Happy is the one who's able to laugh at himself:he's sure to be entertained for a long time"

Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 5:15

I nominate Komoe Harumachi from Eiken.

Komoe is the youngest member of the Eiken Club. She
tends to a lot of the chores in the club, like cleaning and cooking.
She easily gets overwhelmed and faints, but she likes the fact the
other members of the club actually need her and let her do things. She
gives everything she does her best. Despite being the youngest in the
club, she actually has the largest breasts. Densuke sometimes finds
himself accidentally falling on her, and is also occasionally injured
when smacked by her breasts.

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2561

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 5:55

hmmm... no diabetes means no Chiyo-chan, and considering the nature of the board, Angelica and Rico are out...

well, she might just violate the diabetes rule, but...
A young girl suffering from amnesia, on the run as a suspect in the murder of a prominent doctor. She consistently speaks whatever is on her mind in a voice almost devoid of expression, and has the curious nature of a child a third her age.
I give you Ellis from El Cazador de la Bruja:

how could anyone live with themselves after bringing her in?

A very young test subject from a research facility specializing in mutated humans known as 'diclonus'. Though she spent the first six years of her life undergoing torturous testing of her superhuman abilities, she maintains a sunny disposition and is very loyal to her 'Papa' (the man who was in charge of the testing facility, who sometimes showed her small kindnesses). Let loose in the outside world, she is hopelessly naive as to the workings of human society... but honestly, who could hold that against her?
I give you Nana from Elfen Lied:

I have one other nomination in mind, though only if the rules wind up including non-humanoids... sending PM.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 11:03

@LoC978 wrote:hmmm... no diabetes means no Chiyo-chan...

Bah. Ya just need the right picture:

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10901

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 14:10

I'm somewhat reluctantly opening nominations to non human/humanoids. Main reason being that LOC wants to nominate the Tachikomas from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and I think Tachikomas are really cute. So much for my objectivity as the tournament host...

I'm just hoping this doesn't lead to a tidal wave of generic cute small animals. Even though I'm actually considering nominating one myself (Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor's Pecha/Mao).

Maybe I should nominate Kagutsuchi. He would be a rather unusual nomination for a cute tournament. Plus he could cement my reputation for having odd tastes in cute. Laughing

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 14:23

Then in that case, I also nominate Menchi from Excel Saga.

Described by Excel as "a funny looking mutt" and quite possibly the most intelligent member of ACROSS, Menci's days are typically spent devising mehtods of escape from the home of Excel, Hyatt, and other various ACROSS field agents where she is officially designated as the emergency food supply. And also...look at those eyes and tell me you can't go AWWWW.

boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 14:52

A Pembroke Welsh Corgi with extraordinary intelligence, as a "data dog" he often shows heightened awareness of events going on around him. He can answer the telephone, steer a car, play shogi, and generally perform tasks that an average canine should not be able to accomplish. He is able to "speak" to other species and occasionally answers "Yes or No" questions with one bark for "Yes" and two barks for "No".

Here is Cowboy Bebop's Ein (アイン):

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 15:02; edited 1 time in total

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 15:02

A sweet and kind-hearted vampire with a cheerful and positive personality. Though good natured, she possesses a bit of naivety that draws her into problematic situations. Just plain hot as a Super Vampire teen, she's pretty cute as a little Super Vampire girl. Here's Rosario + Vampire's Moka Akashiya (赤夜 萌香):

Before there was Kämpfer's Natsuru Senō, there was Kyonko:

The gender swapped version of Kyon in The Genderbending of Haruhi Suzumiya fan project, Kyonko shares the nonchalant attitude of her male counterpart, with the trademark monologue to boot. Kyonko’s appeal is due to her darudere nature, and thus has to be flat-chested. Kyonko serves as the sole voice of reason of the SOS Brigade (and its conscience sometimes).

And when it comes to a critical concentration of cuteness, it's tough to beat the combined force of the female casts of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and K-ON!:

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 18:09

@Piero wrote:I'm somewhat reluctantly opening nominations to non human/humanoids. Main reason being that LOC wants to nominate the Tachikomas from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and I think Tachikomas are really cute. So much for my objectivity as the tournament host...
cheers

Sophisticated combat robots, each the size of a small sedan; these 'tanks' are loaded with a learning AI that gives them personalities akin to quirky human children, though with libraries worth of knowledge at their disposal via internal network connection. As a result, they retain a sense of childlike glee (and are sometimes possessed of childlike jealousy) in their approach to everything from heavy combat, reconnaissance, and being rebuilt after sustaining heavy damage, to discussing world politics or philosophy.
may I present the Tachikomas from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex:
-as a car
-and on a leash
...and finally, on a campaign poster.
I truly believe they would make a better governing body than we human beings are capable of making for ourselves.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 20:01

A young witch-in-training who at the age of 13 leaves her family and friends to live on her own for a year to establish herself as a full witch. Flying on her mother's broom with her cat Jiji as her companion, this girl settles into a seaside town where she runs errands for the pregnaut wife of a baker and slowly warms up to a local boy named Tombo. While a kind hearted and spirited girl, she learns some coming-of-age lessons as she adjusts to her surroundings and the new people she interacts with. Here's the titular character of Kiki's Delivery Service, Kiki.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 21:25; edited 1 time in total

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
-Joker "Batman: The Killing Joke"
If the SWA told Sandro to go fuck a chicken, he would.
-Elfen in Chatbox (3/28/09)
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by tsundere9kagami2 on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 20:49

I'm actually a hardcore otaku who likes maids more than having three meals in a day and I only read books related to maids. Also, I only visit maid cafes. Of course I also collect maid figurines, I play games which feature maids and it turns me on so much that I'll wear the maid uniforms and jump in joy.
tsundere9kagami2
Oceanic Drifting

Male

Forum Posts : 1069

Fan of : Moe~

Original Characters : youru kun

Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 21:09

Tsun: already linked that in my writeup for Nadeko, actually, but I'm glad we're on the same page.

Probably need to do a profile for K-On's Azusa as well.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tsundere9kagami2 on Thu 12 Nov 2009 - 23:42

Just reinforcing the cuteness.

I'm actually a hardcore otaku who likes maids more than having three meals in a day and I only read books related to maids. Also, I only visit maid cafes. Of course I also collect maid figurines, I play games which feature maids and it turns me on so much that I'll wear the maid uniforms and jump in joy.
tsundere9kagami2
Oceanic Drifting

Male

Forum Posts : 1069

Fan of : Moe~

Original Characters : youru kun

Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum on Sat 14 Nov 2009 - 18:38

I nominate Sora Kajiwara from Sketshbook

a young sora
manga version of sora (a bit large)

from MaL:A young shy girl who enjoys drawing and cats.
Kajiwara Sora lives and draws completely from the heart. She takes her sketchbook everywhere with her in her ongoing attempts to capture the transitory in her art. Sora's heightened awareness also causes her to notice very small details of the world around her and makes her a "my-pace" kind of person. She loves all the cats in the neighborhood and has named them all. As the story begins, she is painfully, extremely shy -- to the point where even the most casual encounter with a stranger paralyzes her and loud voices can trigger her panic and flight. Later, she learns to open up just a bit to her friends.

Bonus Point:she's voiced by the same actress as Nadeko , that voice had reviewers going "sora's voice,can i marry it?"

extra pic:the world according to sora,a few 4 komas (really large!!)

Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sun 15 Nov 2009 - 17:06

Born in Hinamizawa, Japan and stricken with a mysterious illness that causes severe paranoia and general insanity in herself (and her friends), she has died and been reborn countless times (she has lived over 100 years worth of past lives). Seemingly endlessly, she repeats June of 1983, each time knowing she will again see her friends kill each other before finally being murdered herself. While she is secretly psychologically truamatized by this cycle of death and rebirth, she maintains an outwardly happy disposition, and is best known for her catchphrases: "Nipah!", "Miii!", and "Nano desu" ("so it is" in Japanese). Presenting Rika Furude of Higurashi No Naku Koro. NIPAH!!!!!

Last edited by SPARTAN 119 on Thu 19 Nov 2009 - 18:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixing grammar)
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Wed 18 Nov 2009 - 23:33

Hey people, are you all just busy (I know it's getting near the end of the term for me), or is this one just bombing out? I'd kind of like to get at least 24, and preferably 32 nominations, and it seems I've got a long way to go on that...

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela on Thu 19 Nov 2009 - 2:01

I'll bite!! =D I WOULD have nominated Nana but she is already nominated. ^_^

Solty from Solty Rei

Hamtaro from Hamtaro

Patamon from Digimon

Kisa from Fruits Basket

Every fiber of my being is saying "DON'T DO IT!!!" But I figure guys like her and she's cute by their standards (ugly by mine) XD

Dark Magician Girl from Yu-Gi-Oh

It's getting late. I'll add descriptions tomorrow maybe.

AWWWWW YEAHHHH
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2723

Original Characters : Savyna

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 26 Nov 2009 - 14:21

Okay, c'mon people, isn't there anyone else who wants to make nominations? The list is still awfully short.

Just as a comment on the nominations requirements, I may have made them kind of confusing. I guess the main reason I said all that stuff at the beginning is I figure the characters here need to stand out as cute. Something like half the characters in anime could be described as cute, what makes these characters stand out as being particularly cute?

I guess to some degree perhaps the key here is how the nominator feels about the character. Don't just nominate a character because you think they're supposed to be cute. Nominate them because you actually strongly feel that they're really cute. (Or adorable -I know it's not precisely the same thing, but I figure it's close enough -and having an 'adorable' tournament would just be weird, I actually considered it but decided to lump the 'adorable' characters in with the cute ones.)

Also, descriptions can be important. As I noted earlier, something like half the characters in anime could be described as cute. What makes these characters special/memorable in this regard? In a few cases a character my just jump out from the pack due to a distinct character design, but in a lot of cases, a character's personality/behavioural quirks are a huge factor in making them distinctly cute. Otherwise, what sets this particular cute set of drawings apart from any other cute set of drawings? I think this is a particularly important area to address for something like this, where the voters often don't know much about the characters. How the heck is the character supposed to stand out to me as a voter if they're just a still sketch?

Am I making any sense?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Fri 27 Nov 2009 - 12:07

I've got a few more, but one quick question, is it O.K. to use quotes from Wikipedia or other sources (perhaps slightly modified) as the descriptions to save time?
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 27 Nov 2009 - 17:26

I'm more concerned with the quality than the source in this case. That being said, my previous experience has been that wikipedia write ups are too general to work well for this sort of thing.

Sorry if that's a bit vague.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring on Fri 27 Nov 2009 - 21:41

Well, seeing as how I had to create a background to one picture and censor the other, I have no choice but to nominate these two girls for the Cute Tourney.

Yui Hirasawa - K-ON!

The lead guitarist/vocalist of the the Light Music Club, Yui Hirasawa can only be described as an endearing, endlessly cute, borderline idiot savant, musician. With no prior music experience she spearheaded the rejuvenation of her club's popularity with multiple performances and original songs. Passionately lazy and at times airheaded, she named her partner in (awesomely musical) crime, a Les Paul Gibson guitar, "Giita." She also has the rare ability of perfect pitch and the ability to imagine being stranded on a deserted beach with best friend Ritsu Tainaka, the band's drummer.

Mafuyu Shiina - Seitokai no Ichizon (Edited to preserve Mafuyu's modesty)

The Treasurer of the Hekikyo Academy Student Council, this game addicted freshman is the younger sister to Minatsu Shiina. Her hobbies include playing video games 24/7, imagining explicit yaoi romances, and using her deceptively adorable looks to manipulate others which works more often than not. Her personality is polite and reserved and as part of the Student Council, is among the top 4 most popular girls in the school.

"Do you know what Jesus said in John chapter 5? Don't bring me any trouble, bitch." - Eda, Black Lagoon
"Anybody can be cool...but awesome takes practice." - Lorraine Peterson
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakura on Sat 28 Nov 2009 - 0:12

Nice placement of the bat.

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie
"You treacherous bitch!" -rustyspring (After I pwned him)
Sakura
Dr. Turtle Punter

Female

Forum Posts : 472

Fan of : Penguins, Pancake Bunny

Comments : Likes penguins, flop-eared bunnies, punting turtles, and kicking pigeons

Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sat 28 Nov 2009 - 17:53

(Modified from wikipedia)
The main heroine in Kanon, Yuichi Aizawa, the protagonist of Kanon, meets this lively seventeen-year-old on the day after he moves to the city depicted in the game/anime. As the story progresses, Yuichi discovers that she is trying to find something she lost, but she cannot remember what it is; Yuichi tries to help her in her search, but with no initial success. One of her most defining characteristics is the repeated utterance of her catch phrase "uguu" (うぐぅ?) which she mutters as an expression of various negative emotions such as frustration, anger, and fear, something Yuichi enjoys teasing her about. Her favorite food is taiyaki. She is seen eating the confection many times throughout Kanon. She can be a bit of an airhead, and despite looking younger than her age, she is actually the same age as Yuichi. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Ayu Tsukimiya of Kanon, though I know for a fact many of you have already met our little friend!

Ayu ranting about a DKLreviews' nude drawings of anime girls... and a acting out of character. God help DKLreviews if she ever finds out what he made Shiori and Kaori do... (BTW, this image is okay, but some of the other work in DKL's Deviant Art Gallery is definitely NSFW.)
Ayu eating taiyaki.
Another Ayu pic

Last edited by LoC978 on Sat 28 Nov 2009 - 21:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed broken image.)
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 28 Nov 2009 - 20:55

Description is awfully long any it could use some better pictures, but here's my next nominee:

A half-Japanese, half-Russian middle school girl living near Vladivostok. While her father does research on contractors for the Russian government (and her twin brother Shion is a contractor) she lives a relatively normal life until she suddenly finds herself caught in the crossfire between the various intelligence agencies that want to get their hands on her father’s research. Mistaken for her brother, she ends up falling in with Hei, an experienced contractor who has seen better days. In the course of trying to reunite with her surviving family, she becomes a contractor herself, gaining the ability to materialise and snipe with a WWII-era PTRD anti-tank rifle. However, she seems to be ‘incomplete’ as a contractor, having not yet completely attained the cold, ruthlessly logical mindset that contractors are supposed to have. (Though it should be noted that it’s debatable how true that perception of contractors actually is.) Prior to becoming a contractor, she was an avid photographer and owned a pet flying squirrel named Pecha. Here’s Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor’s Suou Pavlichenko.

Suou hiding on top of a train car with Pecha.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sun 29 Nov 2009 - 20:13

@Piero wrote:Description is awfully long any it could use some better pictures
Here's a pic of Suou with her PTRD anti-tank rifle. Previously posted by Kiskaloo on another thread.
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring on Sun 29 Nov 2009 - 20:36

Someone was mentioning to me they wanted to add someone to the cute list, but wasn't quite sure who was in the new updated list, so I figure I'd lend a hand and post a "new" current list of nominees.
@Piero wrote:Canaan -Canaan
Ein -Cowboy Bebop
Nana -Elfen Lied
Natsuki Kuga -Mai-HiME
Rika Furude -Higurashi
YunYun -Canaan
Others:
Hamtaro - Hamtaro
Patamon - Digimon
Kisa Souma - Fruits Basket
Dark Magician Girl - Yu-Gi-Oh
Yui Hirasawa - K-ON!
Mafuyu Shiina - Seitokai no Ichizon
Ayu Tsukimiya - Kanon
Suou Pavlichenko - Darker than Black

The master list can be updated later, this is just a "hotfix" for those wondering who's all been currently mentioned.

"Do you know what Jesus said in John chapter 5? Don't bring me any trouble, bitch." - Eda, Black Lagoon
"Anybody can be cool...but awesome takes practice." - Lorraine Peterson
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakura on Sun 29 Nov 2009 - 20:51

Thanks, Rusty. Had a hard time seeing what was up already.

Here's my nominee: Pen-Pen from Neon Genesis Evangelion

Why? Because he's a penguin and penguins are awesome! Pen-Pen is Misato's pet that lives in a customized refrigerator in Misato's apartment. He likes hot springs, warm baths, drinking beer, and eating whatever. Plus he's an intelligent penguin. Don't you want to just give him a hug?

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie
"You treacherous bitch!" -rustyspring (After I pwned him)
Sakura
Dr. Turtle Punter

Female

Forum Posts : 472

Fan of : Penguins, Pancake Bunny

Comments : Likes penguins, flop-eared bunnies, punting turtles, and kicking pigeons

Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sun 29 Nov 2009 - 21:10

A child prodigy, having skipped five grades to 10th grade (first year in Japanese high school) at the start of the series, yet she is still top of the class. Such grade-skipping would be unthinkable in Japan, and the series humorously explores its potential consequences.[2] The other characters find her amazingly cute, but sometimes take advantage of both her youthfulness and her scholastic abilities. Her diminutive stature leads to her having a lack of confidence, particularly in sports where she fears she is a burden to others. her is frequently viewed with jealousy by fellow students, initially because of her intelligence, but later also because of the discovery that her family is exceedingly wealthy (they own an enormous mansion and a summer house, which she invites her classmates to visit on several occasions). The stylistic rendering of her pigtails allow for several visual gags in both the manga and anime: Osaka often imagines them to be flapping wings, or even entities independent of their owner. At home, she can almost always be found in the company of her enormous dog, Tadakichi-san. Of all of the girls, she is the only one who does not sit through college entrance exams, as she intends to study overseas, possibly in America. Tonight's nomination is one I'm sure you all are familiar with, she is one of the most iconic anime characters ever, and wrote the book on anime cuteness! Presenting Azumanga Daioh's Chiyo Mihama.

Chiyo's famous penguin costume
Chiyo-chan in class
Chiyo and her "father".

BTW, Piero did say in the chat that Chiyo was fair game for this competition. Of course, I suppose he could change his mind... Also, he mentioned that he did NOT bar GsG characters from this competition.

Almost killed in a hit-and-run accident staged by her father to collect the life insurance he had on her, she was the first girl converted to a cyborg. Originally she remembered her family, but later she was conditioned to forget them. This conditioning significantly dampened her gregarious and outgoing nature, which alienated her from her handler, Marco. As the first cyborg to undergo the conditioning process, she became the first cyborg to suffer the deleterious effects. The she and her handler exclusively use Steyr-Mannlicher weapons including the AUG A2, TMP compact submachine gun, M-A1 pistol and the AUG H-BAR LMG. You guessed it, Angelica of Gunslinger Girl.

Angie with her Steyr AUG
Angie takes on the Terminator.

Both descriptions modified from Wikipedia.
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sat 5 Dec 2009 - 18:25

@rusty-spring wrote:Someone was mentioning to me they wanted to add someone to the cute list, but wasn't quite sure who was in the new updated list, so I figure I'd lend a hand and post a "new" current list of nominees.
@Piero wrote:Canaan -Canaan
Ein -Cowboy Bebop
Nana -Elfen Lied
Natsuki Kuga -Mai-HiME
Rika Furude -Higurashi
YunYun -Canaan
Others:
Hamtaro - Hamtaro
Patamon - Digimon
Kisa Souma - Fruits Basket
Dark Magician Girl - Yu-Gi-Oh
Yui Hirasawa - K-ON!
Mafuyu Shiina - Seitokai no Ichizon
Ayu Tsukimiya - Kanon
Suou Pavlichenko - Darker than Black

The master list can be updated later, this is just a "hotfix" for those wondering who's all been currently mentioned.

New Additions
Pen-Pen- Neon Genesis Evangelion
Chiyo Mihama- Azumanga Daioh
Angelica- Gunslinger Girl

Thats 26 nominees so far, if they are all approved.....

By the way, anyone know when were starting this thing?
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 5 Dec 2009 - 19:50

I've sort of been waiting for my brother to get past the busy period with his term papers so I could get his nominations. I know, not very objective of me...

My current goal is 32 nominations, though I might have to raise it a little. I do have to admit that the current tally is kind of up in the air though due to some of the nominations lacking descriptions and other issues.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Mon 7 Dec 2009 - 3:45

When Yui and company attempt to recruit new club members,
they received the interest of only one first year. Initially, said first year is timid and has
difficulty fitting in with said club due to their lack of seriousness, at one
point basically snapping in frustration and going on a major rant.. Eventually, however, begins enjoying the club
for what it is. She’s actually a much more
talented guitarist than Yui but is reluctant to steal the spotlight from her
senpai. Her weaknesses are cake, hugs,
and sunburns. Here’s K-On’s Azusa Nakano:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq4h5Wpw5BU&feature=related

A socially inept girl who spends most of her time reading in
the library due to her fear of being bullied.
She’s eventually dragged into the drama club by Tomoya. Incredibly dangerous with a violin since her
playing is so bad as to basically turn said instrument into a sonic
weapon. Here’s Clannad’s Kotomi
Ichinose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9UZnxkXCYo&feature=related

The imouto of Tomoya’s best friend Yuuhei, this little girl
is notable for a couple things. First,
her dedication to making sure her brother is on the right track. Second, the sheer heart stopping lethality of
her “oni-chan” attack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAziBVp0l-Q
Here’s Clannad’s Mei Sunohara.

Forget her skills as an apprentice healer. Forget the fact she can be a bit scary when
angry. Forget the fact she’s known in
her village as a “late bloomer”… the important thing to know about
Utawarerumono’s Eruruu is that she does not like her tail touched:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNdlTJis_wA
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 7 Dec 2009 - 13:46

Well, assuming Triela gets the descriptions for her nominations in, then that's pretty much bang on thirty-two nominations (as there are twenty-five currently confirmed nominations, and she nominated five nominees). Thirty-two is basically an ideal number for starting this thing, since it breaks down by twos, and there will be no need to settle any three or five way contests.

However, I still think there's room for one more nomination based on the fact that Triela had implied that at least one of her nominations was a character she was nominating because she thought other people found the character cute, not because she did. I'd prefer it if people only nominated the characters that they personally feel are cute, so that reduces the count by at least one.

Here's the current confirmed list:

Angelica –Gunslinger Girl
Ayu Tsukimiya -Kanon
Azusa Nakano –K-On!
Canaan -Canaan
Chiyo Mihama –Azumanga Daioh
Ein -Cowboy Bebop
Eruruu -Utawarerumono
Komoe Harumachi -Eiken
Kotomo Ichinose -Clannad
Mafuyu Shiina –Seitokai No Ichizon
Mei Sunohara -Clannad
Menchi –Excel Saga
Nana -Elfen Lied
Natsuki Kuga -Mai-HiME
Pen-Pen –Neon Genesis Evangelion
Rika Furude -Higurashi
Suou Pavlichenko –Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor
Yui Hirasawa –K-On!
YunYun -Canaan

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela on Mon 7 Dec 2009 - 18:06

Ahhh sorry about not having the descriptions again! Things are always so crazy around here and I don't really have a lot of free time now with finals. I'll get them up as soon as I can!!!!

AWWWWW YEAHHHH
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2723

Original Characters : Savyna

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Mon 7 Dec 2009 - 18:37

If you wait till after finals this week, I think I've got a couple somewhere in the back of my head that I want to nominate.

Oh, and I move that Aruruu is cuter than Eruruu.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 7 Dec 2009 - 19:23

If you give me a name, I can reserve the last spot for you. (I really am not keep about going above 32 nominations, unless people are willing to pile it on and jack the number up to 48. I can cook up a system to deal with three finalists, but a number like 36 that breaks down to nine is a bit more challenging.) I'm not exactly in a huge rush, I'm actually considering holding off starting until after the holidays. Although I could also start the thing and then put it on hold for a while.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Tue 8 Dec 2009 - 6:20

I nominate Sakura Kasugano from Street Fighter 4: The Ties that Bind (as opposed to her incarnation in the Street Fighter Alpha anime).

She is a 16-year-old (as of Street Fighter Alpha 3) Japanese schoolgirl
who has an intense fascination with Ryu. She has managed to copy and
learn some of Ryu's techniques, but really wants him to train her
personally.
-taken from the Street Fighter Wiki

boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 8 Dec 2009 - 23:42

Well I guess that's thirty-two.

Given that I'm going to be giving Triela a few days to get her profiles done up -and may well not be starting voting until after Christmas at this rate -do you people think you can manage another sixteen nominations without scratching the bottom fo the barrel too much? I'd kind of like to give people like Kodoku a chance to participate, but I also need to get a number that breaks down well, and fourty-eight is the next number that does that reasonably well.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 9 Dec 2009 - 3:07

@Piero wrote:do you people think you can manage another sixteen nominations without scratching the bottom fo the barrel too much?
If we can't, you could just reject all the ones after the current cut off. It's sounds harsh, but I'd take it over nothing.

@Piero wrote:I can cook up a system to deal with three finalists, but a number like 36 that breaks down to nine is a bit more challenging.
If you have 9 finalists, you could make it be three battles of 3 characters, the winners of which battle in one final winner-takes-all three-way finale.

I would love to give you a name, but right now my brain isn't functioning correctly. Every time I try to think of something fun it just starts going in loops. -_-
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Wed 9 Dec 2009 - 3:25

@KodokuRyuu wrote:
@Piero wrote:do you people think you can manage another sixteen nominations without scratching the bottom fo the barrel too much?
If we can't, you could just reject all the ones after the current cut off. It's sounds harsh, but I'd take it over nothing.

Um, you do realise that Boomer beat you to the punch for the final spot, right? I thought you had some you wanted to make...

If I can get enough people to express interest in making further nominations then I'll go for forty-eight. If not, I'm sticking with thirty-two. Sorry man, but I just do not like three way matchs. (I dealt with the three finalists from the babes tournament by running two against each other than running the winner against the remaining candidate, if you remember.)

Part of me feels like I should give up a slot (I have the most nominations so far, with five) but I'm having difficulty deciding on a nomination to give up. I always seem to have one of the longest nomination lists with the tournaments I run. Wonder if that's a bad thing for someone who is supposed to run the bloody things... Laughing

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Thu 10 Dec 2009 - 1:50

@Piero wrote:
@KodokuRyuu wrote:
Um, you do realise that Boomer beat you to the punch for the final spot, right? I thought you had some you wanted to make...
Yeah I do realize that. What I'm saying is, currently any nomination I make would be rejected due to the limit. The alternative is to have a chance to nominate while knowing there's a good chance that they will be rejected in the end due to not reaching the new limit. I'm just saying that the way I see things, the latter is preferable.

@Piero wrote:Sorry man, but I just do not like three way matchs.
That's cool. I can see how they could be problematic.

@Piero wrote:Part of me feels like I should give up a slot [...]
Don't do something like that for my sake - I can't even come up with anything yet. If you have good entries, then there's a good chance someone else would have nominated them anyway. And I don't mind if I end up not being able to nominate anyone in the end.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 10 Dec 2009 - 13:51

Alright.

Well, then, anyone object to me launching the first round of voting tonight? (I have four candidates selected via random dice roller. One of them is one of Triela's, but I've actually seen Solty Rei, so I might be able to improvise a description, albeit perhaps not as positive of one as a big fan of the character might.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Thu 10 Dec 2009 - 15:51

WAITWAITWAIT!!!!!!!

I may be able to come up with eight or ten...maybe even twelve nominations by nightfall. And I mean legitimate ones too not Eiken Char's. Okay, maybe one or two, but I will Gawr-own-tea that they fill these cute moniker's to a K, ha ha, double E, double U, double T, ha ha, double E, ha ha.

To start, a primary list without description as I should have descriptions up by tonight and this should give ANYBODY ELSE enough time to get something in at the last minute to come up with the remaining 8-6. Consider this Overtime, Sudden Death, etc. No time for laying about or pussyfooting. It's crunch time so GET !@#$ DONE SON(or girl...whatever).

Primary List:
-Rizel(Rizelmine)
-Sasami(Tenchi Muyo)
-Ryo-Ohki(Tenchi Muyo)
-Sailor Mercury (Sailor Moon)
-Little Goku(Dragonball Z)
-Ichigo(Tokyo Mew-Mew
-Yukari Sendo (Rosario + Vampire)
-Nina Sakura(Ultramaniac)

boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 10 Dec 2009 - 16:58

@boomer_gonz wrote:
Primary List:
-Rizel(Rizelmine)
-Sasami(Tenchi Muyo)
-Ryo-Ohki(Tenchi Muyo)
-Sailor Mercury (Sailor Moon)
-Little Goku(Dragonball Z)
-Ichigo(Tokyo Mew-Mew
-Yukari Sendo (Rosario + Vampire)
-Nina Sakura(Ultramaniac)

Good Yes Indeed

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Thu 10 Dec 2009 - 17:45

I worked extensively on the Solty Rei characters' article on Wikipedia, so if Triela doesn't write a description, I can. I'll try to come up with some characters today, now that I'm done with finals. Oh, some just came to mind:

* Ayuzawa Misaki of Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
* Wendy of Fairy Tail
* Elisiss of Eden's Bowy

I'll write descriptions soon. Hey, do younger versions of characters count? Cause I can think of some excellent nominations if they count. (These characters appeared younger in canon flashbacks)
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Thu 10 Dec 2009 - 18:15

I'm gonna nom Young Gohan(yes, that Goku bit was a typo sweat )

So unless Piero vetoes it, I don't see why not. I have a few in mind now though so to me it's all good.

boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content