The GSG RPG

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The GSG RPG

Post by KodokuRyuu on Thu 3 Dec 2009 - 22:45

Some of you may remember me announcing about a year back that I would create a GSG RPG. I can now say that I have finally begun to make progress on this project. I initially wanted to create it using RPG Maker, but it proved too restrictive with regards to the battle system (as traditional RPG line-up-and-take-turns battle systems were to be avoided). So I tried switching to Game Maker, which I found out is a royal pain to make anything super special awesome happen with unless you buy the full version. So now I'm writing my own game engine from scratch using the Java based Processing. This has actually proved to be the easiest (or at least most convenient) approach thus far. There seem to be a few other people working on RPGs in Processing so I may be able to get a jump start with their work, but I'm probably going to have to do a lot of stuff myself. If anyone knows Java and wants to help out let me know.

Alright, let me get to the fun part: the new battle system.
  • There will be no hit points, skill points, experience points, leveling, instant healing items, gold/gil, commandable parties, or any of the other things you're used to seeing in RPGs. Instead you will have to improve your cyborg's skills through training, repair her at the medical center, ensure she receives the proper dosage of conditioning, and the other fratelli will be on autopilot.
  • Also, there an awesome visibility system during battle - you won't be able to see enemies around corners!
  • When you shoot at an enemy, the likelihood of a hit will be calculated based on skills, reaction times, accuracy of the weapon, how close the enemy is, how many other enemies there are in the room, and how long you've been looking at the enemy. So basically, if you just walk into a room and start blasting full auto you're less likely to land a good hit than if you take a moment to aim for a careful shot.
  • If you do land a hit, the game will calculate where on the body the hit will be. By default everyone goes for a killing shot, but in real life a wounding shot is more likely. If someone (including the cyborgs) gets wounded, various things will be affected. For instance, a shot to one's shooting arm will cause accuracy to drop. A shot to the leg will cause speed and agility to drop. A gut shot will cause a loss of stamina. And all wounds cause a loss of focus.
  • Of course a fatal wound will immediately kill the one shot, but these are only head shots and heart shots (shooting the right side of the chest will only cause very large drops in stats). However, any wound can turn fatal if left unattended long enough.
  • Oh, did I mention there will be CQC? Very Happy

Well, all that said, even though I can write the engine, I can't do pixel artwork worth anything. So if there are any good pixel artists out there that want to participate, I could really use you. But know I'm really picky and will reject anyone I don't feel meets my standards.

'k. Discuss.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Re: The GSG RPG

Post by Robert Frazer on Thu 3 Dec 2009 - 23:30

Instead you will have to improve your cyborg's skills through training, repair her at the medical center, ensure she receives the proper dosage of conditioning, and the other fratelli will be on autopilot.

How will you regulate this? It'd defeat the point of advancement if all I had to do was set the 'research rate' slider to full, then put my feet up with a cup of tea and wait for all of her abilities to max out.

Perhaps in between each 'dungeon' (mission), there are a finite number of 'time units' which you can allocate jobs to - fitting in a stronger limb takes X time, weapons training takes Y time, going on a morale-boosting trip to the city park with your handler takes Z time. How far you can advance depends on your performance in the previous mission - repairing damage is compulsory and must be done before any other action occurs, and depending upon how badly smashed up your cyborg is, the more of your limited downtime is set aside for repairs (but never more than the maximum - in order to prevent a recursive spiral of defeat that's frustrating for the player, a cyborg won't go into the next mission with pieces missing still), leaving you less to 'spend' on upgrades.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PASSION LIVES HERE
Prose Stories
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Fri 4 Dec 2009 - 1:13

That's actually exactly what I had in mind. Thank you for writing it out for me. Razz One thing I should point out though is no matter how much you train your cyborg, there is a limit on how powerful you can make them. Say you take your girl to the shooting range everyday - eventually her accuracy will level off and stop improving. Also, their skills can go down. For instance, if you have a girl with high accuracy, but you stop taking her to the range her accuracy will start to drop. And most importantly, you as a player will never see any numbers associated with your character's skills - only general descriptions (like good shot with a pistol, slow reaction time, etc.).
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface on Fri 4 Dec 2009 - 23:17

I've done stuff in Processing before. Made a simple top down shooter.

Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Male

Forum Posts : 879

Fan of : Henrietta, Rico, Triela, Aurora

Original Characters : Muffin

Comments : Why can't I leave this blank?

Registration date : 2007-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sat 5 Dec 2009 - 2:00

Sweet. Care to share the code? Or even the game? Very Happy
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface on Sat 5 Dec 2009 - 2:19

I have the pde. files but I don't have Processing installed atm

Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sat 5 Dec 2009 - 5:59

You have to install it? I just unzipped and went to work. Anyway, I'd love to look at your code, if you don't mind sharing it.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface on Sat 5 Dec 2009 - 20:21

I mean unzip then. I haven't touched it in a loooong time. Sure you can look at my code, but don't expect me to explain anything because I've probably forgotten what everything does. =p

*downloads processing*

Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sat 5 Dec 2009 - 21:38

That's cool, Java's my specialty so I shouldn't have any trouble reading it. Very Happy
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface on Tue 8 Dec 2009 - 6:48

Hmmm, it appears that I can't get my game to run anymore! Probably missing a library or something.

Maybe you could fix it?

Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 9 Dec 2009 - 3:10

It's possible. Email it to me and I'll look over it after my finals are done.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ridler on Fri 11 Dec 2009 - 11:06

If you ask me GSG isn't really suited for an RPG. That's why the game I've been writing for more than a month now is a third person shooter. But, you never know. It may turn out much better as an RPG than as an action game. We'll see Smile

CURRENT GSG PROJECTS:
N-O-N-E!

Ridler

Male

Forum Posts : 24

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, of course! Duh!

Original Characters : Cyborg: Maya and Handler: Angelo

Comments : No Comment!

Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Fri 11 Dec 2009 - 20:04

RPGs are story driven with action interspersed. TPSs and FPSs are action/puzzle driven with story interspersed. GSG consistently alternates back and forth between story and action. Thus I feel that both approaches would work equally well.

Are you actually planning to develop and code a game, or are you just playing with the idea? Do you know about the official game? It's only a rail shooter, but it's still similar to what you're talking about.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ridler on Sat 12 Dec 2009 - 9:02

I know about the official game. In fact, I own all three. They're great as they are, but unfortunately wouldn't have been very good as a separate product (they came for free with the DVDs).
RPGs are story driven, indeed, but that doesn't mean shooters aren't. In fact, as I stated above, I think that a shooter would work best for GSG, as if an RPG would satisfy the story aspect it won't work out very well with the action, except if something different is made.
I explained about my idea in some other topic I don't remember. I previously had a series of blogs at ScrewAttack called "My Game Ideas". It was basically just ideas, scripts, etc, for some big studio to pick up and make. Of course, the chances of this actually happening are smaller than the chances of me playing my 360 on Mars. But still, it was a pretty awesome series.
The GSG game was the newest entry. I give a complete script with story, levels, scenery, characters, weapons, etc. However since ScrewAttack moved to 4.0 and deleted all my content, I decided that I will NOT register again and will simply start upping the future "My Game Ideas" somewhere else.
The script is almost finished. However I didn't have a chance to work on it as I am writing 15 more projects right now (no joke). But I think it'll be ready in a week or so and I'll post it here for you to see.

I hope that answered your question Wink

CURRENT GSG PROJECTS:
N-O-N-E!

Ridler

Male

Forum Posts : 24

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, of course! Duh!

Original Characters : Cyborg: Maya and Handler: Angelo

Comments : No Comment!

Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 1:13

I remember you talking about that before - it was in your welcome thread I think.

Yeah, RPGs don't lend well to action scenes, so I'm trying to do something a bit different from the norm. I'm trying to have more realistic battles with better physics. I'm also focusing more on story - the game should be like a retelling of the original manga, but with reader interaction.

Wow, 15 projects at once? That's a lot to keep track of. I look forward to reading your finished script. Very Happy

Ridler wrote:playing my 360 on Mars
I never thought of doing that before. That would be awesome. Awesome!
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Probit Return on Fri 25 Dec 2009 - 23:32

Sounds like a great game. I'd love to check it out when it's done. I think the battle system sounds pretty interesting, and definitely a fresh breath of air.

Did you say "Nerd"?

Fission Mailed

"What do you mean 'What the hell is a Funyarinpa?' You mean... you don't know?"
"How the hell would I know?"
"How could you not know?! That's... that's practically blasphemous! Say you're sorry! Apologize to the Funyarinpa! Goodness, you are such a rude woman..."
Probit Return
That One Guy

Male

Forum Posts : 653

Fan of : Stuff

Original Characters : Adrianna, Nero, Abigail, and now Luca

Registration date : 2008-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down