Base Jumping

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Base Jumping

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 16:49

So I was watching Destroyed in Seconds on The Discovery Channel and one of the segments was about a base-jumper in Norway who snagged his chute on a light pole and dropped about six meters. Accidents aside, I thought "I wonder if base jumping might be a useful skill?"

Now with so few tall buildings in Italy (they're pretty much non-existant outside of Naples), it's probably a skill a traditional fratello would find no use for, but for those of us who operate around the world (Laine, Monty, Kara), being able to carry out a mission in a high-rise hotel, condo or office building and being able to bypass the stairs/elevators for "the direct route" might be an interesting option...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10901

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Base Jumping

Post by maverick375 on Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 17:20

Base jumping is just another form of creative suicide. I'll save my compassion for people that end up in trouble they're not inviting.

Glocks are not the shit. Glocks can fail the same as any other gun. I've seen it personally, and have even heard first-hand accounts of something as basic as a slide-retaining pin snapping, the slide flying off. Get over the obsession and buy what fits your hand, your wallet, and ability.
maverick375

Male

Forum Posts : 823

Fan of : manga

Original Characters : Jamie

Comments : GUNS!!!! MUWAHAHA

Oh, and swords. Swords are kewl too.

Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 17:40

@maverick375 wrote:Base jumping is just another form of creative suicide. I'll save my compassion for people that end up in trouble they're not inviting.

True, but since cyborgs are "built Ford Tough", I figure that if they snag a line on a lamp post and drop six meters to the ground, they'll get up, brush themselves off, bend the light post into a pretzel, and head for the rendezvous area.

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 18:04

@maverick375 wrote:Base jumping is just another form of creative suicide.

As a practitioner of a few of these so called adrenaline sports (not base jumping...yet) I feel impelled to offer a defense.
When I jump out of an airplane, ride a motorcycle at high speed, or make a dangerous SCUBA dive, it's not the adrenaline that's the attraction, it's the total concentration that the activity demands. If you let the excitement get to you while doing any of these things you will screw up & could easily wind up very dead, so you must have total focus on the task. How many activities in our daily lives require that?
When you're so focused on one thing there is no room for worries about nonsense like bills, the job, phone calls, or that fight you had with your significant other. It's extremely relaxing in a strange sort of way.
I have observed that, despite an outwardly fatalistic demeanor, adrenaline sports enthusiasts have a very strong attachment to life, and are rarely suicidal.

Kiskaloo is a big sports-car fan, perhaps he could expound on this.

As far as any kind of parachute entry into a "hot-zone" goes, why not? Special forces units conduct HALO drops, why not cyborgs, and why not base jumps? I've batted around the idea of using skydiving in a story, but it's still an undeveloped idea.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3422

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 18:08

Yeah, I have give thought of having Kara and Michele do a HALO jump. Just need to find the reason. Smile

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 18:34

Okay, here's what I was working on...feel free to utilize the idea if it works for you, I'm not even close to using it. Bear in mind, I was thinking of a much smaller cyborg than Kara when I dreamed this crap up.

Elio takes Marisa on a tandem sky-dive as a reward for good work. This is just the kind of thing she likes, so she's thrilled with it. Later on, a hostage situation develops at a hotel, with the hostages on a top floor and shoulder-mounted Stinger-type missiles on the roof to prevent a helicopter approach. As Section 2 debates how to storm the building, Marisa opens her mouth and volunteers she & Elio to make a tandem jump, where she will take out the rooftop guards with her rifle before Elio opens the chute.
Elio is not happy with her speaking up in an "adults only" meeting, but Jean & Lorenzo unexpectedly decide to utilize her batshit-crazy plan over all the other conventional plans.

Kind of over the top, but it might work as an action episode.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 18:56

There are a lot of islands off the coast of Italy. I was thinking perhaps either a hostage situation or a weapons cache or meeting that needs to be broken up and a sea approach is not possible due to them looking out for boats—

Marisa: Boats? We don't need no stinkin boats!

—Ok, not possible except for Marisa, so it's decided to send in a team via HALO. Michele 2.0 was in the 17° Stormo so I figure he's performed HALO missions—

Michele: Yes I did. Fifteen years ago.

So he trains with Kara to perform the insertion from above.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 19:49

@Kiskaloo wrote: Michele: Yes I did. Fifteen years ago.

We both had the same idea there...the handler has some experience jumping out of aircraft, but it was a long time ago.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 21:48

Base jumping action? I'll point you in this direction ---> http://matthewreilly.com/short_altituderush.html

I enjoyed reading that story in highschool, not sure what I'd think of it now if I read it again =P Ahh Matthew Reilly: living proof that you don't need to be a good writer to write an exciting book

And I'll second what the Professor said: it is nice just to concentrate on one thing. I don't do the extreme sports thing, but in a car it's the same deal: if you want to move quickly you can't be talking on the phone. I think some of the pleasure also comes from the times and little moments where everything goes just right. That perfectly executed downshift, that corner you setup just so...

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5765

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 2:06

Alpha's done it on assignments before.

Alpha: Yeah, but I don't exactly reccomend it.

Me: Why?

Alpha: Why? How about a little thing called degree of error.

Me: But still, you've done it before...riiiiight?

Alpha: Yeah, yeah; I've done it and will probably do it again. HOWEVER, it is officially on my short list of things to do when-all-other-options-have-been-exhausted-or-made-unfeasible!

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2561

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 6:12

@Kiskaloo wrote:True, but since cyborgs are "built Ford Tough", I figure that if they snag a line on a lamp post and drop six meters to the ground, they'll get up, brush themselves off, bend the light post into a pretzel, and head for the rendezvous area.
Some might even take the opportunity to twirl down the post, pole-dancer style. I can think of a few likely candidates.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 13:54

For the Island Op, it might be best to leave things to the GIS. They get their people from (and appear to maintain strong ties to) the Carabinieri's 'Tuscania' parachute regiment. Plus they have a lot of training for dealing with hostage situations.

Piero is former GIS, but I have doubts he'd have ever bothered to give Diana parachute training.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top