Badasses Tournament Nomination Thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Badasses Tournament Nomination Thread

Post by Piero on Tue 2 Feb 2010 - 0:16

So basically, the big question here is thus: are there enough people itching to make another nomination for use to try and raise the bar? Or is it time to open nominations for the next tournament?

If I don't get any response in a few days I'll assume the latter to be the case.

Piero

Forum Posts : 2617

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Tue 2 Feb 2010 - 1:43

Well, I wanted to nominate Ashton Anchors from Star Ocean EX. I might stop being lazy for a few minutes and write up a description. Or not.

Five_X

Forum Posts : 695

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 14 Feb 2010 - 15:30

I've been considering this idea for a while now, and I think I'm finally going to go through with it. Basically, I'm withdrawing Natsuki's nomination for this tournament. Yeah, it ruins her record of having been in every tournament I've run so far, but while I think she is genuinely a badass, she's just not enough of one to be a serious contender in this crowd. There's a few characters in the mix I think she would stand a good chance against, but they're a very small few.

So, anyone got any thoughts on a replacement? I'm thinking of nominating Klan Klein from Macross Frontier as a replacement, but I'm willing to entertain other suggestions.

Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Sun 14 Feb 2010 - 17:11

Here I go...

He is an Expelian warrior whom Claude's party meets while attempting to defeat a marauding two-headed dragon. Much to his consternation, they become fused to his body thanks to Claude and co. distracting him; though he constantly bemoans their presence, he refuses to separate them from himself when given the option. He is very loyal to his friends, but occasionally mopey, and has the lowest Luck stat in the game. He dual wields rather ridiculous looking shortswords, and in the anime is mostly comic relief aside from the times where he is possessed by the dragons, (who Rena names "Creepy" and "Weepy") during which he proceeds to kick massive amount of ass. Note that in the game this doesn't happen, and he is constantly badass. In both, he has an odd attraction towards barrels. Here's the guy with dragons on his back, Star Ocean: The Second Story's Ashton Anchors.

A short clip showing Ashton's barrel obsession.

Ashton being badass.

Five_X

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Sun 14 Feb 2010 - 17:57

Here's a list of the nominations so far:

Canaan - Canaan

Revy - Black Lagoon

Guts - Berserk

Bando - Elfen Lied

Fal 'Chavamee - Halo: Legends

Sousuke - Full Metal Panic

Natsuki Kuga - Mai-HiME (De-nominated)

Spike Spiegel - Cowboy Bebop

Jeremiah Gottwald - Code Geass

Alfaard - Canaan

Afro - Afro Samurai

Leona Ozaki - Dominion

Batou - Ghost In The Shell

Sir Integra Winsgate Hellsing - Hellsing

Noa Izumi - Patlabor

Alita/Gally - Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm

Rally Vincint - Gunsmith Cats

Kanuka Clancy - Patlabor

Isayama Yomi - Gai-Rei Zero

Dutch - Black Lagoon

Jo - Burst Angel

Roberta - Black Lagoon

Hansel and Gretel - Black Lagoon

Drake Anderson - Read or Die

Lucy - Elfen Lied

Archer - Fate/Stay Night

Roy Mustang - Fullmetal Alchemist

Gendo Ikari - Neon Genesis Evangelion

Giacomo Dante - Gunslinger Girl

Ashton Anchors - Star Ocean EX

Total: 29

Others have been nominated, but lack descriptions.

Five_X

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 14 Feb 2010 - 19:20

I'm kind of letting Five_X have this one since he went to the work of doing up a profile, although I was really looking for suggestions for possible alternatives to Klan, not a nomination...

As for the remaining three slots, Kodoku told me he'd get the profiles for the character's he's doing done, so they're basically full.

Can I request that in the future people leave the administrative functions for the tournaments I'm responsible for running to me?

Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Mon 15 Feb 2010 - 0:01

>_< I know I'm late on my nominations. I'll have them in tomorrow after I finish this project for algorithms class. Oh, and I'm switching out Dante from Devil May Cry for Vash the Stampede from Trigun 'cause, lets face it, the dude was considered a natural disaster because of the destruction he caused accidentally. Edit: Bleh, Vash just doesn't have the right attitude for this tourny - switching back to Dante.

KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Forum Posts : 1237

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 1:39

Vash may not be a badass. But this guy should fit the bill:

This wandering priest who cares for children doesn't necessarily fit the traditional notions one would have of a religious figure. The guy smokes, rides around in a motorcycle and has no qualms with taking the lives of anyone who threaten the innocent, often putting him at odds with Vash's pacifist philosophy. Wherever he goes, this guy carries around a giant cross on his back without much issue with its weight saying that "it's full of mercy." Said cross is actually a weapon loaded with a giant machine gun, rocket launcher and carrying cases for 12 pistols on the arms of the cross. The guy is just as proficient of a gunslinger as Vash making him a valuable ally when dealing with the Gung Ho Guns. Here's Trigun's Nicholas D. Wolfwood.

Ggultra2764

Forum Posts : 590

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 2:37

Ggultra -I can't really accept that unless Kodoku doesn't get his nominations in or somethng. It would put the nominations numbers over 32. Although Kodoku is a little late at this point...

Kodoku, I'm kind of busy this weekend so I'm going to give you until Monday night to get thing your descriptions in. If you're later than that though I'm openning things up to other people. Sorry.

Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 6:17

Sorry these are so late, school hit me harder this week than I expected. I'm withdrawing my Edward Elric nomination because Wolfwood fits the bill way better. I'll have images in them tomorrow - finding them on the internet is proving to be a royal pain, so I'm just going to make some from scratch.

With his devil-may-care attitude, he hunts demons with a confident swagger and lethal wit. Sporting a red trench coat and wielding dual over-sized .45s and a large sword, this man is not afraid to stand out on the battlefield. He has a habit of taunting or belittling his opponents before fighting them. This is Devil May Cry's Dante.

DMC ep1 openning.
Shots of Dante in cool poses: #1, #2, #3.
Dante gallery.

Cold, calculating, and a little crazy, he is the man who caused the Croce indecent. He reads reads his enemies like he reads a book and uses precise planning to execute crimes. Being an MB he pulls off a Xanatos Gambit on the SWA in Venice with ease. With cool calculation and a grin on his face, he fires a NTW and hits his target from over a kilometer away and acts like it's no big deal. He thinks nothing of sacrificing his minions simply to see what it takes to kill a cyborg. This is Gunslinger Girl's Giacomo Dante.

Nicknamed "The Black Reaper", he works as an assassin for the "Syndicate". When on a mission, he wears a mask and a bullet resistant coat, and he arms himself with a knife attached to a wire which he uses like a rope dart. He can create electricity at will and channel it through any conductive material he touches, meaning he can instantly immobilize or even kill an opponent from close range or a distance. This is Darker than Black's Hei.

DTB OP.
The Black Reaper.
Hei gets bloody.
Hei gallery.

Feel free to expand/clean up the one on Hei, Piero.

Last edited by KodokuRyuu on Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 6:25; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed some image links)
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 11:13

@KodokuRyuu wrote:I'll have images in them tomorrow - finding them on the internet is proving to be a royal pain, so I'm just going to make some from scratch.

You're covered. Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10890

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 18:38

Awesome. Good Now I just got to grab some supplemental pics. I really love that picture of Hei by the way. Very Happy

Arg, why do I always forget the good ones until it's too late? How could I forget Re-l and Lelouch?
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 19:44

I know what it's like, Kodoku.

I thought of nominating Desert Punk, but it was too late. Curse these numerical limitations!

"The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors." - rustyspring on curling

"The world will listen to me!" - Makoto Itou, butchered translation of School Days

"Bullshit! I want healthy Arf back!" - Piero, on Nanoha season three
Five_X

Male

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 19:54

Oh yeah, Desert Punk is a good one too! bang head
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 21:12

Well, if people wanted to shoot for fourty-eight, we could do that. I was sort of planning to start now though (I know I talked about delaying until Monday, but since I now have the descrpitions...)

Piero

Male

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 21:21

I'll try to think up more nominations. Since I've made a ton already, I'll try to limit myself to mostly suggestions. I will, however, nominate Desert Punk myself, if enough characters can be thought up. There are more badasses than we think!

"The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors." - rustyspring on curling

"The world will listen to me!" - Makoto Itou, butchered translation of School Days

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 23:27

Actually, I think I'll leave wait until Monday. If we can get sixteen nominations or close to it by 9:00pm Monday I'll increase the number of contestants to 48. If not, I'll launch with the current 32.

I'm willing to nominate Klan Klein from Macross Frontier for an additional nomination, and might also be willing to renominate Natsuki if we're really hard pressed (I don't really think she's badass enough to get far in this crowd, but I wouldn't have nominated her in the first place if I didn't think she was a badass at all).

The one requirement here is that if you nominate a character, you'd better be ready to do up a profile by Thursday night at the latest (I'm not requiring profiles by Monday because this won't go ahead if we can't get very many nominations by Monday.)

New Sixteen?:

Desert Punk -Desert Punk
Dohmochevsky -Blame!
Eikichi Onizuka -Great Teacher Onizuka
Fate Testarossa -Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
Kamina -Gurren Lagann
Killy -Blame!
Klan Klein -Macross Frontier
Mamoru Akasaka -Higurashi
Mugen -Samurai Champloo
Nanoha Takamachi -Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
Natsuki Kuga -Mai-HiME
Re-l Mayer -Ergo Proxy
Scar -Full Metal Alchemist
Takashi Kamiyama -Cromartie High School
Teana Lanster -Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Strikers
Zoro -One Piece

Last edited by Piero on Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 12:38; edited 9 times in total

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 23:46

A rude, vulgar and lewd swordsman, this guy likes to pick fights with others just for the thrill of it and especially gets itching with the desire to fight Jin while they journey with Fuu. An impulsive fighter, this guy mixes breakdancing with moves he copies from his foes and making the rest of his techniques up as he fights which makes him quite formidable in battle. He's quite the womanizer as well taking any opportunity possible to hook up with prostitutes or wandering into a town's red light district. He's cheated death on a few occasions as he survived jumping off a cliffside and the explosion of a ship that got bombed. Here's Samurai Champloo's Mugen.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
-Joker "Batman: The Killing Joke"
If the SWA told Sandro to go fuck a chicken, he would.
-Elfen in Chatbox (3/28/09)
Ggultra2764

Male

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sun 21 Feb 2010 - 0:20

Re-l won't be hard for me to write up a description for, and I shouldn't have a problem writing one for Lelouch by Thursday. So I'm nominating Re-l Mayer from Ergo Proxy and Lelouch Lamperouge/Zero from Code Geass. Edit: Gah, how could I forget my favorite manga? From Blame!: Killy and Dhomochevsky.

These are up for grabs: Urahara Kisuke from Bleach, Kakashi from Naruto, Kyuuzo from Samurai 7, Onizuka Eikichi from Great Teacher Onizuka, and Roronoa Zoro from One Piece.

TV Tropes page for those who need ideas.

Last edited by KodokuRyuu on Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 0:05; edited 1 time in total
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Sun 21 Feb 2010 - 1:33

No offense Kodoku, but I question the qualifications of Lelouch being considered a badass considering he doesn't show much in the way of physical actions and some of his feats being either deus ex machina or personal convenience in the plotting of Code Geass.

But I'd definitely be itching for Onizuka to have a spot in the tourney.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
Ggultra2764

Male

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 21 Feb 2010 - 1:50

I put Lelouch down with a question mark, it's up to Kodoku whether he wants to go through with him.

As for Onizuka, if you're willing to do a profile for him I can put him on the list.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Sun 21 Feb 2010 - 2:27

Damn I forgot to nominate the baddest baddass in all of Japan.

I speak of none other then the indelible, the incredible, the unavoidable;
Takashi Kamiyama; Boss of Cromartie High and after winning the National Boss Tournament, undisputed Boss of all Japan.

Ah well, there's always the next Badass tournament. Smile

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2559

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 21 Feb 2010 - 16:59

Since Five_X kind of insisted, and since she's been in every other tournament I've run anyway, I'm renominating Natsuki Kuga, although I still think she doesn't stand a chance against a lot of the other characters in this tournament.

A high school aged HiME who is intent on avenging her mother’s death, which she blames on a shadowy MIB type agency known as First District. While arguably one of the weaker HiME, she makes up for it through excellent teamwork with her CHiLD, an artillery equipped mechanical wolf named Duran. Her Element is a pair of small pistols with which she has sometimes displayed impressive accuracy (though this is highly scene dependent). In addition to this, she knows how to handle herself
physically and would appear to have some agility and hand to hand combat training. She owns a motorcycle and is frequently seen in riding gear. The main criticism that can be levelled against her badassness is that she has serious difficulty trusting others and therefore seems to feel a need to act tough and aloof despite already being tough. Her difficulty loosening up makes her the butt of much of the humour in the series she’s part of. Here’s Mai-HiME’s Natsuki Kuga.

Alternate pic.
Natsuki demonstrates her excellent negotiation skills during a potentially volatile situation. Laughing And yes, she manages to be badass despite how dorky those summon weapons look (it's odd that they appear to have cartridges, considering that unlike Duran's shoulder mounted artillery, they don't really seem to feed the weapons).

I've actually been considering nominating a second magical girl as well, namely Nanoha. The Nanoha series is pretty terrible in some respects (had I not seen the second season first I might not have made it through the terrible start to the first season) but there's still something distinctly awesome about a series which is basically a super robot show disguised as a cutesy magical girl show. Plus, this exists for a reason. Smile

Ggultra, again, I'm willing to add Onizuka to the list if you'll commit to doing a profile for him.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 0:03

Yay! Natsuki's in! And more importantly - you finally gave us some new pics. Considering that Nanoha is listed in the Out Of The Inferno page on TV Tropes, I'd say go with it.

After thinking about it, Lelouch doesn't really fit the bill since he only uses his mind, so I'm pulling him. Fortunately, that gives me more time to write up other nominations.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 2:34

After thinking about it, Lelouch doesn't really fit the bill since he only uses his mind, so I'm pulling him. Fortunately, that gives me more time to write up other nominations.

Is bad ass defined by your physical capabilities? For me it was always about facing down something bigger than you. Guile and tact can be just as bad ass. Ever heard of "The Count of Monte Cristo"?

An Ishbalan who took part in the aptly named Ishbalan War, he lost everything when the State Alchemists abruptly and violently ended the war and the government rounded up his people. Before dying, his brother gifted (or cursed) him with a right arm capable of powerful alchemical ability that he doesn't fully understand. Convinced his brother intended this arm for vengeance, he begins (rather successfully) hunting the "vile" State Alchemists who had taken his home from him. One of the few characters in the series able to boast repeatedly fighting the terrifying homunculi and living to tell about it, I give you Full Metal Alchemist's: Scar.

theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 7:40

This new teacher at Holy Forest Academy doesn't necessarily fit the standard mold of what you would expect of a teacher. He was a former biker gang member and barely passed exams at a low-ranking university. Plus he's a skilled martial artist and lech. But this teacher's methods of dealing with the troublesome students of Class 3-4 are seen as necessary by the school's headmaster. Genuinely caring for the well-being of his students unlike many of Holy Forest's ignorant staff, this guy puts his life and career at risk enough times throughout the series to either help those facing troubles from bullying students, dealing with corrupt school officials or humiliating any of the bullying students conspiring with Miyabi. A couple examples of what he's gone through: attending a teacher's national exam with multiple gunshot wounds from rescuing a school official's daughter from gangsters and using his body as a cushion to absorb the impact of falling into a car when rescuing a suicidal student jumping off the school's rooftop. Here's the titular main character of Great Teacher Onizuka, Eikichi Onizuka.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 13:46

Okay, well, Nanoha's in. There's actually a couple other characters from that franchise that I'm also considering, namely Fate Testarossa (Nanoha's season one nemesis and future lover close friend) and Teana Lanster (the only average strength mage on a team of super powerful elites that managed to single handedly win a fight with three much stronger combat cyborgs that trapped her in a damaged building. While injured.)

Current nominations stand at eleven. (Edit: decided to throw in Fate and Teana, so it's now thirteen.) Aside from Kodoku's suggestions, is no one considering nominating Kamina from Gurren Lagann?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 18:50

Kamina deserves a slot in here (especially by my previous definition) so if no one else wants to I will write up a nomination by Thursday.

Jet: "Betrayal may come easily to women, but men live by iron codes of honor."
Faye: "You really believe that?"
Jet: "I'm trying to. Real hard."
theprodigalson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 19:54

I decided to go ahead and write up a nomination for Zoro:

This man aims to be the strongest swordsman in the world and he refuses to allow anyone or anything stand in his way. He practices Santouryuu which uses three swords - one in each hand and a third in his mouth. He spends most of his time sleeping on training, and when it's time for a fight he's always ready for action. Training can include: swimming upstream in an icy river half-naked in the winter, taking a set of benching weights heavy enough to crush Arnold Schwarzenegger attached to one end of a benching bar and swinging them hard enough to generate a breeze, fighting small fry enemies (he considers opponents that would make most people run in fear a warm up). This is One Piece's Roronoa Zoro.

Episode where Zoro is against an opponent that can turn his own body into steel weapons. What's Zoro do? Learn how to cut steel. Razz Watch from 17:18 to 20:00 if you want to skip all the flashbacks and junk and get to the awesome part.
Zoro in battle stance. Zoro covered in his own blood and still ready to kick your rear.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 22:24

That's fifteen nominations, so I think we're definitely raising the bar to forty-eight. Who does the last slot go to?

Remember people, get your profiles in by 9:00pm Pacific Standard Time on Thursday. If you don't, I'll reopen the slot for the character(s) in question...

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 22:56

Ask and you shall receive... Razz

A stubborn man who acts first and asks questions later, this "soul-brother" of Simon is able to rally together and become the leader of Team Dai-Gurren in humanity's fight against the Beastmen. At first making himself the leader of the group after finding the tiny robot known as Lagann and being a mere trio with Simon and Yoko, this guy's machoism and reckless actions help gather up more members for Team Dai-Gurren and rack up victory after victory for the group as they steal more of the Beastman's Gunmen. His catch phrase is well known to his fellow teammates, "Who the hell do you think I am." Here's Gurren Lagann's Kamina.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 23:23

Alright, I've got my two.

Originally introduced in the series as a random detective from out of town coming to investigate the Hinamizawa Syndrome, this guy doesn't show up much until near the end of the show, where he has suddenly taken multiple levels in badass, and proceeds to kick the asses of highly trained spec ops with his bare hands. He also shows off his pure manliness by punching through a car windshield without flinching, just to prove how awesome he is. I give you Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni's Mamoru Akasaka.

Akasaka blocking a kick

Akasaka's fight scene that is too awesome for words

A selfish mercenary nicknamed "The Demon of the Desert", he roams the great Kanto Desert doing jobs for people and manipulating them. He shows his skills in many fights he has throughout the show, including one where he defeated the famous "Shimmer Sniper" using just his wits and his Winchester 1897 shotgun, modified to hold an additional shell. Another awesome moment was where he destroyed a massive, nigh indestructible tank by shooting a Frag-12 shotgun shell at the rocky overhand above the tank, crushing it. Simply put, he's the best mercenary in the desert. Here's Desert Punk's eponymous protagonist, Desert Punk.

Desert Punk with a grenade launcher

Desert Punk's fight against his nemesis, Rain Spider

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 0:22

And that would be Sixteen (Desert Punk was already on the list, this is just his profile that Five_X just posted).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 0:52

I'm only counting 15 in that list, Piero. Is somebody missing from it?

@theprodigalson wrote:
Is bad ass defined by your physical capabilities? For me it was always about facing down something bigger than you. Guile and tact can be just as bad ass. Ever heard of "The Count of Monte Cristo"?
Based on the way we've been using it, a person has to be unafraid to take an enemy head on by themselves. Lelouch is really just a spoiled, arrogant wimp who happens to get super powers. He's more into manipulating people than taking them on. While he does have his crowning moments of awesome, he doesn't really fit in with the rest of the characters here, in my opinion.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 1:08

I'd say he's badass just due to his awesome planning skills. Planning skills that fail him nine times out of ten (or do they!?), but planning skills nonetheless. He's badass in a way similar to how Light is badass, using complex strategies to fight against a considerable foe. I also wouldn't say he's spoiled. He is part of a rich family, but doesn't really flaunt his wealth too much, especially compared to other characters in the show. He can still fit here.

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 1:23

Yeah, I haven't added the Higurashi guy to the list yet. I'll do that shortly.

The “White Devil” of the Time Space Administration Bureau, an earth-born mage who got caught up in a struggle over dangerous artifacts at the age of nine after coming into possession of a powerful magical device. By the age of nineteen, she was a TSAB combat instructor and served as a squad leader in Mobile Section Six, a special unit set up to deal with cases involving Lost Logia. A significant portion of her allies are former enemies that she managed to defeat and then win over, including her lover extremely close friend Fate Testarossa. She once told an enemy who called her a demon “It's okay if I'm a demon. I'll just have to use my hellish tools to make you listen.” (This was back when she was nine.) Her fans often use “befriend” as a synonym for “beat the crap out of.” Despite her general willingness to make friends, she is utterly ruthless in combat and is perfectly willing to fight dirty if it will give her the upper hand. Here`s Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha`s Nanoha Takamachi.

P.S. "White Devil" is actually a fan nickname (and a reference to the Gundam inspired colour scheme of her costumes).

Fanart: You gonna get befriended.
An older Nanoha in TSAB uniform.
Youtube Clip: A young Nanoha "befriends" Fate. (long)
Youtube Clip: The older version of Nanoha demonstrates what she does to people she doesn't like. Laughing (short)

A clone that was created as part of her “mother's” attempts to create an exact duplicate of her deceased daughter. Her “mother” considered her a failure, but let her believe that she was her real daughter and exploited her loyalty in her attempts to seize control of a set of powerful Lost Logia. Despite her ruthlessness and determination, she failed to overcome the opposition of Nanoha Takamachi, which prompted her “mother” to inform her of what she really was and how much she hated her. Following this she was adopted by Admiral Lindy Harlaown of the Time Space Administration Bureau and eventually became one of the Bureau`s Investigators, as well as a temporary squad leader for the elite unit known as Mobile Section Six. The older version of her character does have quite a soft side though, as evidenced by her attitude towards two children she encountered during her work for the TSAB. Here`s Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha`s Fate Testarossa (later known as Fate T. Harlaown).

The older version of Fate, sometimes referred to as "MILFate."
Fan art of the older version of Fate looking really badass.
Youtube Clip: Fate versus Signum (who could probably have qualified for this herself).

Last edited by Piero on Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 2:38; edited 3 times in total

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 2:22

Based on the way we've been using it, a person has to be unafraid to take an enemy head on by themselves. Lelouch is really just a spoiled, arrogant wimp who happens to get super powers. He's more into manipulating people than taking them on. While he does have his crowning moments of awesome, he doesn't really fit in with the rest of the characters here, in my opinion.

It's your call of course Kodoku. I would put him over many of the other nominees but would place him under plenty of them too. Just figured I would make a case for him.

Jet: "Betrayal may come easily to women, but men live by iron codes of honor."
Faye: "You really believe that?"
Jet: "I'm trying to. Real hard."
theprodigalson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 4:36

@Five_X wrote:I'd say he's badass just due to his awesome planning skills. Planning skills that fail him nine times out of ten (or do they!?), but planning skills nonetheless. He's badass in a way similar to how Light is badass, using complex strategies to fight against a considerable foe. I also wouldn't say he's spoiled. He is part of a rich family, but doesn't really flaunt his wealth too much, especially compared to other characters in the show. He can still fit here.
I agree with you on that, but that's more of a chessmaster type, where as the rest of the characters being nominated are action types. You can't really compare Solid Snake with Dwight Eisenhower - they're both BA, but take completely different approaches to getting it done. By spoiled I meant that Lelouch always insists on getting his way.

@theprodigalson wrote:It's your call of course Kodoku. I would put him over many of the other nominees but would place him under plenty of them too. Just figured I would make a case for him.
The main issue is I don't think he could really win, and as a result, I don't really feel like writing a nomination for him. Plus I've already got a bunch of nominations and don't want to dominate the field too much.

@Piero wrote:Yeah, I haven't added the Higurashi guy to the list yet. I'll do that shortly.
Gotcha. Since we have 48 now, that means we have another one of those awkward three way battles at the end, right? Could you do something like give one (random?) character from the round with 12 a gets a bye into the last round (which would make it 4 instead of 3)? Then you could do one grand finale with the last 2 and it wouldn't feel so anticlimactic.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 14:32

Can I give that one some thought? I'll admit the final match of one of these 48 character things can be kind of lame, but on the other hand I really like having the matchs be decisive, and I'm worried about how bringing back a previous character would affect things. I am interested in the idea though.

Anyhow, here are the profiles for my others two new nominees. I'm still kind of embarassed by the fact that four of my nominations are from magical girl shows., even if Mai-HiME and Nanoha are a far cry from your average magical girl shows.

A female member of a species of humanoid giants called Zentraedi. Her ancestors were apparently among the first Zentraedi to ally themselves with humans (the Zentraedi had originally intended to wipe out humanity –as a note, in the Macross universe, Zentraedi were created by the same forerunner race as humans and have similar enough DNA to be able to interbreed when in micronized form) . She is the leader of the Mercenary company SMS’ all female Pixie Squadron. She is a very skilled pilot and was able to hold her own against a talented human recruit flying the latest VF-25 Variable Fighter while piloting a Queadluun-Rhea battle suit –a feat roughly comparable to the pilot of an upgraded F-4 Phantom managing to hold their own against a newer and more maneuverable F-15 Eagle or Su-27 Flanker. She also once commandeered the variable fighter of a dead human comrade after her Battle Suit was damaged despite the fact that she could barely reach the fighter’s controls while in micronized form. Perhaps one of her most awe inspiring moments of badassness came when she was in her full Zentraedi form and used a VF-25’s gun pod and FAST packs as improvised infantry gear. On the negative side, she is a frequent sufferer of The Worf Effect and has a tendency to act somewhat immature while in micronized form, though this may have something to do with her touchiness about the fact that she has messed up genes that make her look like a loli when she micronizes. Here’s Macross Frontier’s Klan Klein.

Full size Klan suited up in her powered armour.
Pissed off Klan.
Youtube Clip: A vengeful Klan using a variable fighter's gun pod and FAST packs as improvised infantry gear.

A Time Space Administration Bureau private who was recruited as part of Mobile Section Six. Her specialties are illusions and shooting magic, and she hopes to become an Enforcer as a way of following in the footsteps of her elder brother, whom she feels was wrongfully disgraced by his superiors prior to his death. As the only more or less average ranked mage in Mobile Section Six, she suffered from feelings of inadequacy which drove her to try extreme and dangerous tactics in training, much to her squad leader’s disapproval. In the end she finally proved herself capable when she was cut off from the rest of Mobile Section Six and trapped in a damaged building with three immensely powerful combat cyborgs. Despite having suffered a wounded leg in the initial confrontation, she managed to outwit and defeat all three cyborgs. After the disbandment of
Mobile Section Six, she followed through with her original objective of becoming an enforcer. Here’s Teana Lanster from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers.

Another pick of Teana.
An older -and from the looks of things, more confident- Teana.
Youtube Clip: Teana shows her enemies that even a mere Class B mage should not be underestimated.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 16:21

So does that mean that Kamiyama now has a chance?!

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2559

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 18:14

What makes you think that? The fact that four of the other nominees are magical girls?

I'm thinking you might not have watched the youtube clips that were posted with those nominations.

As for the whole brains versus brawn issues, I'm almost thinking we need a tournament for chessmaster/mastermind/tactical genius type characters. Only problem is that I think finding very many of them could be kind of difficult.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Wed 24 Feb 2010 - 10:51

@Piero wrote:As for the whole brains versus brawn issues, I'm almost thinking we need a tournament for chessmaster/mastermind/tactical genius type characters. Only problem is that I think finding very many of them could be kind of difficult.

Oh. I wouldn't say it would be too difficult. Anime has its fair share of geniuses as well as badasses that I could potentially think up. Razz

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Wed 24 Feb 2010 - 22:47

Final list for the tournament is as follows:

Afro -Afro Samurai
Alfaard -Canaan
Alita/Gally -Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm
Archer –Fate/Stay Night
Ashton Anchors -Star Ocean EX
Bando -Elfen Lied
Batou -Ghost in the Shell
Canaan -Canaan Dante- Devil May Cry
Dante -Devil May Cry
Desert Punk -Desert Punk
Dohmochevsky -Blame!
Drake Anderson -Read or Die
Dutch -Black Lagoon
Eikichi Onizuka -Great Teacher Onizuka
Fal 'Chavamee -Halo Legends: The Duel
Fate Testarossa –Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Gendo Ikari –Neon Genesis Evangelion
Giacomo Dante -Gunslinger Girl
Guts -Berserk
Hansel and Gretel -Black Lagoon
Hei -Darker Than Black
Integra Winsgate Hellsing -Hellsing
Jerimiah Gottwald -Code Geass
Jo -Burst Angel
Kamina –Gurren Lagann
Kanuka Clancy -Patlabor
Killy -Blame!
Klan Klein -Macross Frontier
Leona Ozaki -Dominion: Tank Police
Lucy -Elfen Lied
Mamoru Akasaka –Higurashi
Mugen -Samurai Champloo
Nanoha Takamachi –Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Natsuki Kuga -Mai HiME
Nicholas D. Wolfwood -Trigun
Noa Izumi -Patlabor
Rally Vincent -Gunsmith Cats
Re-l Mayer -Ergo Proxy
Revy -Black Lagoon
Roberta -Black Lagoon
Roy Mustang –Full Metal Alchemist
Scar -Full Metal Alchemist
Sousuke Sagara -Full Metal Panic
Spike Spiegel -Cowboy Bebop
Takashi Kamiyama -Cromartie High School
Teana Lanster –Magical Girl Lyrical
Nanoha Strikers
Yomi Isayama -Ga-Rei Zero
Zoro -One Piece

Last edited by Piero on Wed 24 Feb 2010 - 23:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deleting a few blanks lines near the top that I missed when I was doing the "clean up after copy and pasting" earlier.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Wed 24 Feb 2010 - 23:41

This is gonna be the greatest tournament ever!!!

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 2:09

KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 13:10

Kodoku -okay, I dug up some of the pics I'd mentioned as possible alternates earlier when your links weren't working. Just let me know which if any you want to use (as well as which of the ones you'd selected earlier you want to keep -knowing which pic you want to use as the primary would also help).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 3 Mar 2010 - 6:08

The Netsphere is a place that has been separated from the rest of the world. The only ones who can still access it are people with the Net Terminal Gene, but they are rumored to be extinct. Killy's goal is to find someone with the Net Terminal Gene and reconnect the Netsphere. However, there are many who would stand in his way. Cyborgs exist to stop anyone from accessing the Netsphere, Killy kills them on sight with a rare grin on his face. Safeguards poise a bigger threat though - they are extraordinarily strong, can regenerate, are programmed to kill anyone without the Net Terminal Gene, and will appear in any place someone attempts to access the Netsphere without the Net Gene. Even still, Killy takes them on without fear. How can he take down such monstrous foes? With a Gravitational Beam Emitter (GBE) - an extremely rare and powerful weapon. The GBE is a weapon that fires a narrow beam that will destroy everything within a certain radius around it. This beam will continue for miles before it is exhausted, puncturing even the strongest materials. But this doesn't bother Killy - he'll just fire away at any old enemy with it leaving a wake of destruction in his path (fortunately the majority of the world is uninhabited). But a gun this powerful has some serious kick to it. One time, Killy blasts a shot so powerful that the recoil breaks his arm and flings him off a cliff. But the dude stands up and walks away like nothing happened. Regardless of what happens to him, he always carries on no matter what. This is BLAME!'s Killy.

Killy with his gun.
Killy looking cool.
Killy facing off against Pcell with a sweet long gun.
In lieu of YouTube videos:
Killy rips open a wall... with his bare hands... just to fetch his favorite gun.
Killy takes on a powerful Safeguard. (Read to page 32.)
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down