SWA-Compound Found!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SWA-Compound Found!

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 23 Oct 2009 - 23:38

maverick375 wrote:INteresting. I always assumed it was a single base out in the hills, maybe 20 miles or so outside Rome. It was a monestary, and there were fields that were tilled, according to Jean. That is not exactly easy to do in Rome since it's been built up for freaking ever, especially around the Vatican area.

Well the Roman Campagna is rural and agricultural. And it's a good 20km away from the center of Rome. So it generally seems to fit.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10896

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Sat 24 Oct 2009 - 4:26

ElfenMagix wrote:The scenes are very different from the Pasta Prince chapter in V2 Ch10 P138.
There was also something also mentioned in Epi-13 and in the Meteor shower.

Claes (I think) mentioned that the meteor shower would be difficult to be seen because of the lights in Rome, that they would need to be at the practice base to see the meteor shower since it was far away enough to see it.

So this proves that there are at least 2 bases of operations.

Which also concurs with my assessment on the matter.

boomer_gonz

Forum Posts : 2561

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 24 Oct 2009 - 11:06

Claes notes in Chapter 8 that she wishes she was farther from Rome and that their eyes should still make up for it. The panels also show a light glow on the lower horizon.

While I have not been to the Roman Campagna, at a distance of around 25km from Rome and rural agricultural, I think the ambient light pollution would not be too bad. And Claes' comment implies the girls have superior low-light visual perception compared to normal humans.

There is the Frosinone Provisional Command training ground that Triela went to learn hand-to-hand combat from the GIS. However, that is 75km southwest from Rome - not my idea of "near".

It is clear Yu either decided to move the SWA to a new complex between Chapters 10 and 48, or he ret-conned the original one he showed in Chapter 10 in favor of the one shown in Chapter 48 and Episode 14 of -IL TEATRINO-.

Personally, considering how he is ret-conning other things he established earlier in the manga later in the manga, I am of the opinion that he is doing so here and the SWA has always been in the new location and has always looked like it does there.

If they ever do "Gunslinger Girl Remastered", the scenes of the SWA in Chapter 10 will be re-drawn to look like they do in Chapter 48. Razz

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by commanderagl on Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 0:35

The base actually seems like its a military compound or government office, there are usually some spec-ops soldier stationed there it seems. so cover as a children's home does not seem likely.

commanderagl

Forum Posts : 28

Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 0:50

commanderagl wrote:The base actually seems like its a military compound or government office, there are usually some spec-ops soldier stationed there it seems. so cover as a children's home does not seem likely.

I expect the only children there are the cyborgs themselves, and their presence is a secret.

In the overhead establishing shots in Chapter 56 / Episode 14, the complex extends off to the right, as the monastery is in that direction. And based on page 119 of Volume 9, the bedroom the four Series 2 cyborgs are in appears to look out onto the monastery, which would put the cyborg dorm also off to the right, off-page / off-screen.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by zarien85 on Sun 8 Aug 2010 - 19:25

Panzer IV wrote:...now seeing the compound, what if it was real?

...what if the girls were really REALLY there? What would you do? Care to try hand one of your fanfics and see how they react? Laughing

...what if you *accidentally* met Claes while passing by? Would you interact with her? How about Henrietta? Triela?

if I met anyone of the girls in real life i would be scared to cross her more than once

zarien85

Forum Posts : 113

Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Sun 8 Aug 2010 - 19:44

zarien85 wrote:
if I met anyone of the girls in real life i would be scared to cross her more than once
You'd have to count yourself lucky if you walked away from even that one meeting.

Professor Voodoo

Forum Posts : 3422

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by zarien85 on Mon 9 Aug 2010 - 17:21

you r right

zarien85

Forum Posts : 113

Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 1 Nov 2010 - 20:21

Since we've been given more hints of the terrain around the compound and just how large the entire facility is in later chapters, for Pactio I have decided to place the compound around the Abruzzo / Lazio border tucked up in the shadow of the Central Apennines and the Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise National Park.

I chose this area for a few reasons.

The first is the manga and -IL TEATRINO- make it clear the compound lies in the western shadow of hills / mountains (since the sun rises behind the mountains and the compound).

Second, we see a stream running along the front edge of the complex. The Liri is a major river that runs in the area, so what we see could be a tributary of that river.

Third, it is clear this complex is both "public" and "private" so it needs access. The Strada Statale (State Highway) 690 runs through the area and this connects the area to both the A24 and A1 Autostrada, allowing access to all of Italy. SS690 is also anchored at either end by two major communes - Avezzano to the north and Frosinone to the southwest (this is where the GIS facility that the girls appear to train at is located).

Fourth, while it has access, it's also still somewhat remote, being at least 100 kilometers from Rome (so about an hours drive if Allison or Kara are not behind the wheel). This fits in with the panning shots in the anime and manga, which show the surrounding area to be quite rural.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Mon 4 Apr 2011 - 16:43

I just got back from a periodic offshore water survival class (a requirement every few years for anyone working out at sea)...this time held at a brand new facility.

In addition to a large, 12ft (4m) deep pool where my class took place there are numerous other training facilities (firefighting, crane rigging, toxic spill clean-up, first aid, etc.), plenty of classrooms, dormitory facilities for out of towners...plus a dining hall. All of this is situated on a large grassy compound with multiple buildings.

Felt awfully familiar to me...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw a werewolf drinking a Piņa Colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Mon 4 Apr 2011 - 16:48

Voodoo: I was a Gunslinger Cyborg Trainee in a former life.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Mon 4 Apr 2011 - 17:09

Jean: Dammit.... Rico, load up the tranq gun with the conditioning darts. Another one's starting to regress.

Rico: Of course, Jean!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1470

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 5 Apr 2011 - 3:29

Professor Voodoo wrote:Felt awfully familiar to me...
No-one tried to pair you up with a mad 11-year-old then?

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5757

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Wed 6 Apr 2011 - 0:57

ElfenMagix wrote:Voodoo: I was a Gunslinger Cyborg Trainee in a former life.
Officer Charon wrote:Another one's starting to regress.
Well, I was merely impressed with the scope of the facility and its vague similarity to our SWA compound, but I suppose if I've forgotten a large part of my past it's my own fault for loving fermented libations a bit too much.
Alfisti wrote:No-one tried to pair you up with a mad 11-year-old then?
As for being paired up with a mad 11 year old; I admit the only way I'd ever consider having a child of my own is if...

1. She had to live in a dorm miles away from my own home.
  2. She had to hurt the people I don't like.
  3. She spent her life doped up on obedience drugs.

I saw a werewolf drinking a Piņa Colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosKin640 on Wed 6 Apr 2011 - 10:23

1. She had to live in a dorm miles away from my own home.
Two words: boarding school.

The rest you're on your own with.
ChaosKin640

Male

Forum Posts : 417

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire & Alessandro

Original Characters : Jacob, Sophia, Melanie, Costante, Nina, Enzo and Lucretia

Registration date : 2010-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 3 Apr 2012 - 15:33

Just as a follow-up, this facility is the headquarters for the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools, founded by St. John Baptist De La Salle, Patron Saint of educators.

http://www.lasalle.org/en/

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Tue 3 Apr 2012 - 15:54

Interestingly enough, it appears to be right across the street from the Scuola Ufficiali Carabinieri.... My limited Italian tells me that this is the Carabinieri Police Academy.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1470

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Tue 24 Apr 2012 - 22:17

Cue the creepy music.

Well. When I first joined this happy little band, I inquired through the chatbox whether anyone had seen a map of the compound as described in the anime/manga. I see now that the answer was both yes and no. Have to agree that the physical layout and its location must be something Yu made up as he went along, and shamelessly redid to suit his changing concepts of the Gunslinger Girl universe. It's rather liberating, actually: if the creative team can't even make up its mind about this stuff, then 'canon' is pretty much whatever we like, fanfic-wise.
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1866

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum