Match One: Worfwood

Match Two: Re-l Mayer

MadHatChemist

Forum Posts : 441

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Badasses Tournament Voting Thread

Post by Piero on Fri 5 Mar 2010 - 1:28

Blast it, I forgot to get my own vote in!

Anyway, Spike and Alphard both win their matchs 7-2.

Match One:

Black Lagoon's Hänsel and Gretel are two unnamed Romanian twin orphans. They were abandoned in a state-run orphanage due to their parents' inability to afford keeping them. As a result of being repeatedly forced to participate in paedophilic snuff films in which they are either raped or forced to murder other children, and being repeatedly forced to watch the people running the orphanage beat one of the children to death in front of them, the twins eventually became deranged, sadistic killers just to survive. Unknown to most people, "Hänsel" and "Gretel" are actually two personalities alternately adopted by the two children, both of whom suffer from Dissociative Identity Disorder, meaning they swap being "Hänsel" and "Gretel" with each other from time to time (it is likely that these were their screen names in the films). There are slight implications that they could be incestuous, possibly due to the abuse they suffered in the state-run orphanage. It is never made clear of what gender the twins are: in one scene, "Gretel" (formerly "Hänsel" before swapping) shows 'her' genitalia to Rock in what she presumably came to believe was a show of gratitude, causing him to flee in disgust.
Both of them are white haired and dressed in dark gothic clothing, such as "Gretel" is dressed in a Gothic Lolita outfit. In combat, "Hänsel" wields a sharp, wicked-looking battle axe while "Gretel" uses a M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle that appears to be taller than 'she' is. Both also carry additional sidearms. While they were mentally deranged, Hänsel and Gretel were also cunning, having used two other children as decoys to distract the bounty hunters and using money to distract Eda. They were also not above using their innocent appearance to deceive their enemies.

This large, lone wolf mercenary is greatly feared and respected by both man and demon alike for being a walking monstrous weapon who has slaughtered both sides during his days with the mercenary group known as the Band of the Hawk and his quest of revenge against former leader Griffith. Known as the Hundred Man Slayer and the Black Swordsman, this man comes into battle wielding a massive sword called the Dragonslayer which he is able to wield with ease and shrugs off the pain of injuries while in battle beyond the normal tolerance of pain that a normal man would be able to endure. This is because since he was a child, the guy's trained rigorously in combat having quite the messed-up childhood as he was abandoned as a baby and the foster father who trained him in the sword attempted to kill him in a drunken rage. Since those times, this guy wandered for years as a mercenary for hire until recruited into the Band of the Hawk by Griffith. As proof of just how much this guy can endure in battle, he chopped off his left arm when it was caught in the mouth of a massive demon when trying to rescue his lover Caska. Here's Berserk's Guts.

Match Two:

The only normal agent amongst two superpowered females, this former member of the American Army Special Forces can carry his own weight on missions for the British Library. He's a level-headed man who comes into battle with experience in using firearms, explosives and hand-to-hand combat. This man comes into battle wielding a decent-sized arsenal of firearms such as a .50 Barrett sniping rifle, an automatic grenade launcher, a Heckler and Koch USP automatic pistol, hand grenades and a shotgun. He's a very tough, resilient man as he has been shown to still be capable of engaging missions despite being in helicopter crashes, falling from great heights and having enough blows delivered to his head. As proof of his capabilities, he was able to single-handedly defeat the mutated humanoid insect form of the I-Jin clone of Jean Henry-Fabre. Here's Read or Die's Drake Anderson.

The Netsphere is a place that has been separated from the rest of the world. The only ones who can still access it are people with the Net Terminal Gene, but they are rumored to be extinct. Killy's goal is to find someone with the Net Terminal Gene and reconnect the Netsphere. However, there are many who would stand in his way. Cyborgs exist to stop anyone from accessing the Netsphere, Killy kills them on sight with a rare grin on his face. Safeguards poise a bigger threat though -they are extraordinarily strong, can regenerate, are programmed to kill anyone without the Net Terminal Gene, and will appear in any place someone attempts to access the Netsphere without the Net Gene. Even still, Killy takes them on without fear. How can he take down such monstrous foes? With a Gravitational Beam Emitter (GBE) - an extremely rare and powerful weapon. The GBE is a weapon that fires a narrow beam that will destroy everything within a certain radius around it. This beam will continue for miles before it is exhausted, puncturing even the strongest materials. But this doesn't bother Killy - he'll just fire away at any old enemy with it leaving a wake of destruction in his path (fortunately the majority of the world is uninhabited). But a gun this powerful has some serious kick to it. One time, Killy blasts a shot so powerful that the recoil breaks his arm and flings him off a cliff. But the dude stands up and walks away like nothing happened. Regardless of what happens to him, he always carries on no matter what. This is BLAME!'s Killy.

Killy with his gun.
Killy looking cool.
Killy facing off against Pcell with a sweet long gun.
In lieu of YouTube videos:
Killy rips open a wall... with his bare hands... just to fetch his favorite gun.
Killy takes on a powerful Safeguard. (Read to page 32.)

Voting for these matchs will end at 9:00pm Pacific Standard time on Saturday, March 6, 2010.

Piero

Forum Posts : 2617

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Fri 5 Mar 2010 - 2:17

Guts and Drake for me.

Five_X

Forum Posts : 695

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Fri 5 Mar 2010 - 8:03

Guts and Drake

crazyidiot78

Forum Posts : 1534

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Fri 5 Mar 2010 - 9:39

Match #1: Guts- You can't tell me that twisted twincest assassins are bigger badasses than a guy who was able to single handedly wipe out 100 soldiers on the battlefield and hordes of demons in a hellish world.

Match #2: Drake- This appears to be a battle of Badass Normals though Killy appears to have the benefit of having his physical capabilities enhanced by his technology. Drake doesn't have that benefit yet proves his worth in butting heads against the I-Jin, even if he has no superpowers like Yomiko and Nancy.

Ggultra2764

Forum Posts : 590

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Fri 5 Mar 2010 - 12:03

Abstain.

Drake.

theprodigalson

Forum Posts : 436

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Fri 5 Mar 2010 - 18:18

Match One: Guts from Berserk.
Match Two: Killy from BLAME!.

Wow, someone actually voted for Re-l last round.

KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Forum Posts : 1237

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Sat 6 Mar 2010 - 0:27

Match One: Guts

Match Two
: Drake
MadHatChemist

Male

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sat 6 Mar 2010 - 0:56

Match 1: Hansel and Gretal
Because somebody has to vote for them, and, also, I haven't seen Berserk yet....

Match 2: Drake Anderson
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Sat 6 Mar 2010 - 3:10

Match 1: Hansel and Gretal from Black Lagoon
-Guts may be one of the few uber-badasses, but my loyalty is still to BL

Match 2: Drake Anderson from R.O.D
-I'm a (slight) military buff; nuff said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2566

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 0:44

Should remember my own votes here -I missed last round after all.

I'll go with Guts and Drake.

Piero

Male

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 1:01

Guts wins his match 6-2, while Drake wins his match 8-1.

Match One:

The
leader of the Lagoon Company and captain of the ex-U.S. Navy PT boat Black Lagoon, he is a former Marine who fought in the Vietnam War. Shortly before the war ended (presumably in 1973), he went AWOL, escaping to Thailand to work as a mercenary. He tends to stay away from the fighting associated with Lagoon Company's activities. Instead, he gives orders and negotiates contracts with clients, usually Balalaika of Hotel Moscow. However, Dutch is very capable in combat, skillfully wielding a Remington 870 Marine Magnum shotgun and a Smith & Wesson 629 revolver. He is a calm, easygoing character, and most of the time, is quite friendly. He is a Christian, denomination unknown. His body is heavily muscled, completely bald, and he is always seen wearing a pair of sunglasses. He appears to be in his 30s, but is most likely in his 40s, given his apparent military service in Vietnam (bearing in mind that Black Lagoon is set during the 90s, rather than in the modern era). In the "Baile de los Muertos" saga in the manga, it is suggested that he lied about his Vietnam service. Introducing Dutch of Black Lagoon.

Dutch and Revy with guns raised

As a young girl her family was slaughtered by a spectre. She is adopted by the exorcist who saved her and as his only child she stands to inherit the wealth, prestige, and duties of the prominent house. Wielding her new family's heirloom, the Spirit Sword Shishiou, she works tirelessly in the family business of exorcising for the Ministry of Environment. That is, until a series of events calculated by an unknown enemy strip her off all she holds dear and cause her to choose a darker power to fulfill her deepest wishes. A person whose fall from grace was so spectacular it brought the entire organization she formerly worked for to its knees. From Ga-Rei Zero, here's Supernatural Disaster Category A: Yomi Isayama.

Yomi and her cousin/sworn sister Kagura.
Yomi demonstrates to Kagura that the latter's link to her spirit beast can be used against her.

Match Two:

Appearing in The Duel (directed by Mamoru Oshii), an OVA in Halo: Legends, a series of anime OVAs based off the Halo series of first person shooter video games, he is a member of a vaguely reptilian alien race know as the Sangheili (also known as the "Elites"). Up until the year 2552, most Sangheili at were members of theocratic alien hegemony of multiple alien races known as Covenant. However, tonight's nominee was one of the few who fought against the Covenant long before 2552, before the start of the Covenant's genocidal campaign against humanity, even. Holder of the ceremonial Sangheili rank of Arbiter, he began to question the beliefs of the Covenant and was declared a heretic. Haka, a member of his clan, took advantage of the event; in an attempt to provoke and defeat him, Haka tricked one of the his best friends into killing his wife, Han. He later found the bodies of his wife and servant in his home. He swiftly moved to accept Haka's challenge, literally plowing his way through an entire Covenant Army unit, complete with plasma cannon-equipped hover-bikes and even self-propelled artillery to reach his wife's murderer, armed only with a pair of energy swords. Eventually, he reaches Haka and, after being mortally wounded by Haka's blade, he managed to stab his foe. Both Sangheili died at each other's hands. Presenting a someone who, in one 20 minute OVA, caused more deaths than Lucy (Elfen Lied) and did in her entire anime series, Fal 'Chavamee of Halo: Legends.

The second half of Halo Legends: the Duel featuring the the epic asskicking skills of the Fal 'Chavamee
Another pic of Fal 'Chavamee

An operative in his mid-30's who worked for Japan's National Police Agency's Special Assault Team (SAT). Though he is fully human, he is homicidal and apathetic towards others, and does not hesitate to kill anything to accomplish his agenda. Despite his outward nature, he always feels obligated to return the favors others have done for him. However in the manga, he also shows compassion at rare times. He is a hardy and effective soldier, with an excellent aim able to kill several targets in only a few seconds. After being defeated by Lucy, he is repaired with weak bionic, cybernetic and prosthetic implants, and escapes on a quest for revenge against her. Heavily armed, he returns with a pair of Desert Eagles firing armor-piercing tungsten rounds, weaponry powerful enough to pierce the shield created by vectors and sucessfully wounds an insane Nana, causing her to come to her senses in the process. He is driven by the will to fight and to prove his superior ability in combat, and to avenge the wounds he suffered at Lucy's hands, however at the end of the anime he is defeated again by Lucy, who leaves him alive instead of killing him. In the manga, he is sliced in half, but even that isn't enough to kill him, as he reappears, apparantly with cybernetic legs, in the final chapter of the manga. Presenting a man that is extremely hard to kill, Bando of Elfen Lied.

Bando draws his Desert Eagle in the manga.

Voting for this round will end at 9:00pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, March 8.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 1:10

Match One: Yomi Isayama

Match Two: Fal 'Chavamee

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10928

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 1:26

yomi- gotta for the chick with the sword and bando
crazyidiot78

Male

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 1:30

Yomi and Bando.

EDIT: Just found out how awesome Yomi is. Vote changed.

Last edited by Five_X on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 3:13; edited 1 time in total

"The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors." - rustyspring on curling

"The world will listen to me!" - Makoto Itou, butchered translation of School Days

"Bullshit! I want healthy Arf back!" - Piero, on Nanoha season three
Five_X

Male

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 2:14

Match One: Damn You Piero's Randomizer!! DIIIIIIEEEE!!!!!

Anyway, 'Fal Chavamee by coin toss (Also, Kisk, I'm surprised you voted for him, I never though you were much of a gamer, and you really have to have play the games to understand Halo Legends IMO)

Match 2: Dutch

BTW, notice that 3/4 of the contestants in this match are my nominations!

Last edited by SPARTAN 119 on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 2:18; edited 1 time in total
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 2:16

Match 1: Dutch

Match 2: Bando

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
-Joker "Batman: The Killing Joke"
If the SWA told Sandro to go fuck a chicken, he would.
-Elfen in Chatbox (3/28/09)
Ggultra2764

Male

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 3:40

Wow, tough choices this round.
Match One: Yomi Isayama from Ga-Rei Zero.
Match Two: Fal 'Chavamee from Halo: Legends.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 4:00

Thought I'd throw in a vid for Yomi. Five_X thought this one way pretty awesome, so I decided to go with it.

https://www.youtube.com/v/nlyX83f3cqo

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 11:17

Ah yeah, that reminds me, The vid for Halo Legends was removed due to "claims by a third party" and now I can't find a the episode itself on youtube, but this AMV should work.
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 15:30

Match One: Dutch

Match Two: Fal'Chavamee
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 13:11

Don't forget to cast your vote, Piero!

"The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors." - rustyspring on curling

"The world will listen to me!" - Makoto Itou, butchered translation of School Days

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 13:53

You know, I was just thinking of that. Laughing

Match One: Yomi Isayama. Seriously, as cool as Dutch is, he's not even in the same class. Someone like Revy or Roberta would be a more suitable opponent. Or maybe Balalaika and her paratroopers.

Yeah, Yomi is that awesome.

Match Two: Fal'Chavamee

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 14:08

Good vid for Yomi piero. She is wicked personified.

Match 2: Abstain.

Jet: "Betrayal may come easily to women, but men live by iron codes of honor."
Faye: "You really believe that?"
Jet: "I'm trying to. Real hard."
theprodigalson

Male

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 14:16

Match 1; Dutch from Black Lagoon
-Not to take anything away from Yomi, but it just seems like she's trying too hard to be badass for all the wrong reasons; whereas with Dutch, it just seems to follow him in swagger.

Match 2: Bando from Elfen Lied
-Dude nearly gets killed by Lucy, has a fine case for early retirement, but instead gets himself some cybernetics and a BFG in the Desert Eagle .50AE in order to hunt her down. Plus he gets bonus points in my book for kicking the ass of the doc who was going to remove his boys or I guess girls considering he came in to contact with Lucy...right...maybe? Man I don't know; damnitallanyway!!

boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 on Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 14:56

M1: Yomi

M2: Fal'Chavamee
hydra282
Flower Spirit

Male

Forum Posts : 358

Fan of : Henrietta! Beatrice! Elsa!

Original Characters : Zaron + Josie +

Registration date : 2009-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 20:15

@boomer_gonz wrote:Not to take anything away from Yomi, but it just seems like she's trying too hard to be badass for all the wrong reasons; whereas with Dutch, it just seems to follow him in swagger.

Yomi isn't really obsessed with trying to be badass. Sure, she works hard because she wants to make her foster parent proud, but she's actually pretty easy going in many respects. Hell, when her cousin Kagura first came to live with them she more or less flat out told Kagura that Kagura's father was weird for making Kagura take being beaten in a training match so seriously.

To a large degree, Yomi's badassitude seems pretty casual. Note for instance the way she chose to announce herself when she reappeared to her old comrades as an antagonist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFl4pHj2e9Q&feature=related

Now of course she did make that choice to accept a darker power at one point in the series, but frankly speaking, that was the only "hope" she had left at that point. It was basically either that or accept a fate that she probably viewed as worse than death. (There are probably series that have tossed a character into a deeper pit of despair than the one that Ga-Rei Zero tossed Yomi into. I have trouble thinking of one that I've actually seen though.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 20:44

^^ The above is truth.

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 1:31

Yomi wins her match 7-4, while Fal'Chavamee wins his match 6-4.

Match One:

Now here's the magnum opus of this badass tournament. The man who will single-handedly win in every match he participates in. You see, this man is the commander of the organization called NERV, dedicated to fighting the alien "Angels" threatening to destroy humanity by causing an even called Third Impact. Though he appears completely stoic, he actually means well for his son and his deceased wife. So much so that he schemes against the parent organization of NERV, SEELE, comprised of about a dozen genuises with a sinister agenda. His badassery knows no bounds. You may know him for his pose. Or his glasses. Or his relentless determination to achieve his goals. Or you might know him from a parody video, in which his goal was to become the "Uber Pimp". Whatever his reasons, he's still the most hardcore badass in the history of anime. Did I mention his amazing beard? Don't you just want to rub it, and feel comforted by the soft touch of his magnificent facial hair? Oh yes, it's the ever famous Gendo Ikari of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

The famous pose.
A short YouTube clip of his (parody) theme song.

He can make explosions by snapping his fingers. He wins most of his fights without taking his right hand out of his pocket. His goal is to usurp the current Fuhrer in order to stop horrible massacres from happening. He wants tiny miniskirts. Here's Fullmetal Alchemist's Roy Mustang.

Explosion Hands!

Match Two:

He's a special ops officer, an expert mixed martial arts practitioner, the patron saint of Tachikomas and a sarcastic bastard... also a military-grade cyborg capable of hacking into any of your implants and delivering a dry one-liner before blowing you away. Here's Batou from Ghost in the Shell

I know, the weapon isn't exactly meant to be hand-held... but it's no less badass for that.
Eye-hacking!

Once a respected member of the Holy Britannian Empire, the largest nation in the world, he was disgraced after being deemed a traitor when he was Geassed (mind-controlled) to help the main character Lelouch escape capture by the Britannian military, being dubbed "Orange" as a mocking nickname. He then swore that he would get revenge on Lelouch, and went out of his way to kill him. However, he failed and his Knightmare Frame (mecha) was shot down, leaving him barely alive. He was later found by Britannian scientists, who experimented on his body
and gave him cybernetic implants and a Geass canceller. In addition to those, he is an expert pilot, and is undyingly loyal to the Britannian Royal Family. 50% man, 50% machine, and 200% loyalty, here's Code Geass' Jeremiah Gottwald.

50% Man. 50% Machine. 200% MOTHERFUCKING LOYALTY.

Voting for this round will end at 9:00pm Pacific Standard Time on Thursday, March 11, 2010.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 1:37

I voteth for Gendo and Jeremiah. Because TAKE THIS! THE STORM OF MY LOYALTY!!

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 1:49

Match 1: Roy
Match 2: Batou
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 4:50

Match One: Gendo -- He can take on Seele, his emo son, and the apparent will of God (Kabballah related at least), while keeping his cool, calm, and collected badassery.

Match Two: Batou -- He may play second fiddle, but it is some d**n fine second fiddling. He can be a badass and not have to worry about who is the boss...because he is too busy being a badass.
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 7:46

Match one- Roy
Match two- Jeremiah
crazyidiot78

Male

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 11:53

Match One: Roy. Gendo is impressive but I would classify him as a "brainy" badass which I think we classified in a different league. Besides, not everyone can lead a coup against the State.

Match Two: Batou. At the end of the first season of SAC when he fought the platoon at the Major's house, was one of the coolest episodes of anything ever.

theprodigalson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 on Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 16:50

Roy & Batou
hydra282
Flower Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 0:27

Match One: Gendo from Eva. The obvious choice.
Match Two: Batou from Ghost in the Shell.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 0:31

Match One: Gendo Ikari

Match Two: Batou

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 on Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 0:57

Match One: Roy Mustang (What an army he's got in mind!)
Match Two: Batou

I aim to misbehave.

MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 1:30

Match 1: Roy Mustang from Full Metal Alchemist
- Although my leanings loyalties are more toward Eva; I can't help but remember that underneath all that gruff exterior, Gendo is just a pathetic, whiny, womanizing little punk-bitch. At least Shinji was up front about being whiny and pathetic.

Match 2: Batou from Ghost in the Shell franchise
-He can calm down Major Matoko Kusanagi... 'nuff said.

boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 21:39

Match 1: Roy (Don't really recall Gendo doing anything remarkable to give him badass status.)

Match 2: Batou (He has to put up with being the Major's backup at some points when she decides to be reckless. And his temper in the Jungle Cruise episode in Stand Alone Complex had me going giddy.)

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
Ggultra2764

Male

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 21:40

@Ggultra2764 wrote:Match 1: Roy (Don't really recall Gendo doing anything remarkable to give him badass status.)

He mind-fracked his kid into destroying the world in an attempt to bring back his dead wife?

That's pretty hard-core in my book. Smile

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 22:02

@Ggultra2764 wrote:Don't really recall Gendo doing anything remarkable to give him badass status.
It's not just about what you do, but how you act and present yourself as well.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 11 Mar 2010 - 1:43

Roy and Batou here.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Thu 11 Mar 2010 - 17:29

@Kiskaloo wrote:He mind-fracked his kid into destroying the world in an attempt to bring back his dead wife?

That's pretty hard-core in my book. Smile

That to me sounds like a clever/intellectual fellow. My thought of a badass would be someone who acts first and asks questions later, shows enough of an attitude and is a reckless man/woman who takes abuse and kicks ass. Gendo posturing as he leads NERV and makes the entire world his tool to get to his wife screams what boomer says in his reasoning.

@boomer_gonz wrote:underneath all that gruff exterior, Gendo is just a pathetic, whiny, womanizing little punk-bitch.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Thu 11 Mar 2010 - 18:05

True, Gg, but keep in mind that a character can be heavily flawed/mentally unstable/emotionally or mentally broken and still be very badass. Rorschach from Watchmen (not the best example, as he is a deconstruction) is an example of this.

Point is, they don't have to be able to "take abuse" (without having side effects), nor do they have to act first/ask questions later or be particularly reckless. Badasses often embody those examples, but are not alwaysmade by them. Badasses can (and quite often should) have human qualities. They aren't completely fueled by the Rule of Cool.

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Thu 11 Mar 2010 - 19:10

@Five_X wrote:True, Gg, but keep in mind that a character can be heavily flawed/mentally unstable/emotionally or mentally broken and still be very badass. Rorschach from Watchmen (not the best example, as he is a deconstruction) is an example of this.

Point is, they don't have to be able to "take abuse" (without having side effects), nor do they have to act first/ask questions later or be particularly reckless. Badasses often embody those examples, but are not alwaysmade by them. Badasses can (and quite often should) have human qualities. They aren't completely fueled by the Rule of Cool.

Human qualities, yes, considering Roy and Batou have them. But there still needs to be action which Roy and Batou show. I got none of that out of Gendo outside of being a spineless opportunist.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 1:04

Roy wins his match 8-4, while Batou wins his match 10-2.

Match One:

A girl from the Middle East who was born with Synthesia (a condition where responses along one sensory pathway can trigger reactions along another). Exposure to a biological weapon as a child led to her Synthesia abilities being enhanced, granting her a practically superhuman level of situational awareness. After being rescued from the rubble of her destroyed village by an experienced mercenary, she was given extensive combat training. Her excellent situational awareness, agility, and shooting skills make her a veritable one person army. On the other hand, she has some rather childlike tendencies (she wasted several rounds of ammunition shooting balloons out of the air while on a sniping assignment during a festival) and has been shown to have great difficulty acquiring and reading her foes without the benefit of her synthesia abilities. Here’s Canaan, from the anime of the same name.

A younger Canaan in training.
Canaan carving her way through the special forces troops who are blocking her escape route with the help of her synthesia abilities and a steam pipe that was ruptured by a stray bullet.
Youtube Clip: Canaan in action in the series OP. Her actions here are actually pretty in line with the prowess she shows in the show itself.
Youtube Clip: Canaan's uses her synthesia abilities to pick out hostiles in a crowd before eliminating them (hostility appears to her as a blue glow). Start at about 3:20.

A stubborn man who acts first and asks questions later, this "soul-brother" of Simon is able to rally together and become the leader of Team Dai-Gurren in humanity's fight against the Beastmen. At first making himself the leader of the group after finding the tiny robot known as Lagann and being a mere trio with Simon and Yoko, this guy's machoism and reckless actions help gather up more members for Team Dai-Gurren and rack up victory after victory for the group as they steal more of the Beastman's Gunmen. His catch phrase is well known to his fellow teammates, "Who the hell do you think I am." Here's Gurren Lagann's Kamina.

Match Two:

Nicknamed "The Black Reaper", he works as an assassin for the "Syndicate". When on a mission, he wears a mask and a bullet resistant coat, and he arms himself with a knife attached to a wire which he uses like a rope dart. He can create electricity at will and channel it through any conductive material he touches, meaning he can instantly immobilize or even kill an opponent from close range or a distance. This is Darker than Black's Hei.

DTB OP.
The Black Reaper.
Hei gets bloody.
Hei gallery.

A special Safegaurd whose job is not to kill anyone without the Net Terminal Gene, but instead is to protect a terminal that allows any normal human to access the Netsphere. The people he's protecting it from are Cyborgs known as Silicon Creatures who wish to take over the Net Sphere. He's the type of guy who keeps fighting even when he has no chance of winning. He thinks quickly on his feet, and in the midst of battle he can easily come up with strategies to survive against much stronger enemies. He wield a four-barreled handgun, and has a pet coelacanth. This is BLAME!'s Dhomochevsky.

Dhomo aiming his gun.
Dhomo looking cool.
Dhomo taking bullets like a man.
In lieu of YouTube videos:
Dhomo in a tough situation but refusing to back down. (Read to page 23.)
Dhomo takes on the much more powerful Killy and wins. (Read to page 11.)

Voting for these matchs will end at 9:00pm Pacific Standard Time on Saturday, March 13, 2010.

Last edited by Piero on Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 22:45; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Dhomo)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 1:13

I'm going to vote for Canaan and Hei.

The first one was hard, but in the end Canaan is more badass. Kamina is mostly just crazy awesome. It was a close match.

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 2:03

Match One: Kamina

Match Two: Dhomochevsky
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 9:07

Match 1: Kamina (Has the attitude and recklessness to be a top-class badass, even if he is quite an archetype.)

Match 2: Hei (Hearing of him has me tempted to see Darker Than Black at some point.)

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 11:51

Match One: Canaan

Match Two: Hei

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sun 21 Mar 2010 - 10:27; edited 1 time in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 on Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 12:29

M1: Canaan
M2: Hei
hydra282
Flower Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 14:55

Kamina (tough decision here)

Hei.

theprodigalson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 20:11

Dont really know much about the second one so I'll go with Hei. I have to with Kamina just for the sheer insanity.
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 22:20

Match One: Canaan. Kamina's manliness is pretty awesome, but Canaan has this sort of quiet ruthlessness to her character as well as kick ass combat abilities. Then again, I'm probably biased because I like Canaan so much.

Match Two: Hei.

Thought I'd throw in an extra pic of Canaan as well. This is her carving her way through an elite special forces unit with the help of her synthesia abilities and a high pressure steam pipe that was hit by a stray bullet. (Edit: Turns out she didn't rupture the pipe, a stray bullet from one of the guys she knifed did. Though I still think she's fairly resourceful.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 23:09

Let's see, I've haven't seen the shows for match one and the ones for match two are both my nominations. Blast. Oh well, I think I'll go against the flow here:

Match One: Kamina from Gurren Lagann.
Match Two: Dhomo from BLAME!.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sat 13 Mar 2010 - 10:47