Badasses Tournament Final Round Voting Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Badasses Tournament Final Round Voting Thread

Post by Piero on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 0:05

Well, here we are at the final round. We have three finalists again. I was thinking of doing a "Pheonix" round where the characters who lost on tiebreakers got a chance to compete for a fourth slot, but in the end only three characters lost on tiebreakers, and two of the three were mine, so I passed on that idea.

Still, with this awesome a set of finalists the finale hopefully won't feel too anticlimactic.

The three finalists are Spike, Onizuka, and Roberta. I'm going to have Spike and Onizuka face off first, then pit the winner against Roberta.

Here goes:

He's a space bounty hunter who was born on Mars. He is 27 years old and is tall and thin in appearance. He has fluffy dark green hair (I still
say it's black!) and reddish-brown eyes, one of which is artificial and lighter than the other. A flashback in Session 6 revealed that his fully
functioning right eye was surgically replaced by a cybernetic one (although he himself claims to have lost his natural eye in an "accident").
He is usually dressed in a blue leisure suit, with a yellow shirt and boots. He often has a cigarette between his lips, sometimes despite rain
or "No Smoking" signs. He makes use of sleight of hand techniques to win card games, pickpocket, and slip things onto other people unnoticed.
He is also shown to sneak up on enemies through disguise or quiet movement. He always rolls a rogue in D&D games. He is proficient
with weaponry (such as his personal Jericho 941 as well as other guns and explosives) and hand-to-hand combat skills. He is a skilled martial
artist and a practitioner of Jeet Kune Do. He is also a pilot and flies a converted Asteroid racer (a crazy space-fighter thingy) called Swordfish
II
, which is armed with four machine guns, multiple missile launchers, and a plasma cannon. When he is not shown working or practicing martial arts, he is very laid back, sarcastic, and lackadaisical, to the consternation of his crew mates. Did I mention he's voiced by Steven Blum? Here's the ever cool Spike Spiegel.

Spike with his gun drawn, pointed at the camera

This new teacher at Holy Forest Academy doesn't necessarily fit the standard mold of what you would expect of a teacher. He was a former
biker gang member and barely passed exams at a low-ranking university. Plus he's a skilled martial artist and lech. But this teacher's methods
of dealing with the troublesome students of Class 3-4 are seen as necessary by the school's headmaster. Genuinely caring for the well-being of his students unlike many of Holy Forest's ignorant staff, this guy puts his life and career at risk enough times throughout the series to either help those facing troubles from bullying students, dealing with corrupt school officials or humiliating any of the bullying students conspiring with Miyabi. A couple examples of what he's gone through: attending a teacher's national exam with multiple gunshot wounds from rescuing a school official's daughter from gangsters and using his body as a cushion to absorb the impact of falling into a car when rescuing a suicidal student jumping off the school's rooftop. Here's the titular main character of Great Teacher Onizuka, Eikichi Onizuka.

Voting for this match will end at 9:00pm Pacific Standard Time on Thursday, April 24, 2010.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Badasses Tournament Final Round Voting Thread

Post by Five_X on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 0:09

Spike Spiegel, unsuccessful bounty hunter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors." - rustyspring on curling

"The world will listen to me!" - Makoto Itou, butchered translation of School Days

"Bullshit! I want healthy Arf back!" - Piero, on Nanoha season three
Five_X

Male

Forum Posts : 695

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 0:15

Five_X wrote:Spike Spiegel, unsuccessful bounty hunter.

Ditto.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 0:33

Onizuka.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 0:48

Onizuka, hands down.

Here's an example of his awesomeness:

Great Teacher Onizuka 01
I've got it set up to start at the right place; the scene ends at 43:20.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 1:57

Going with Onizuka.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
-Joker "Batman: The Killing Joke"
If the SWA told Sandro to go fuck a chicken, he would.
-Elfen in Chatbox (3/28/09)
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 6:50

Onizuka for me
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 20:10

Onizuka -- because nothing seems to be able to stop that man.
MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 20:53

Isn't it sad, Spike?~ ;_;

"The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors." - rustyspring on curling

"The world will listen to me!" - Makoto Itou, butchered translation of School Days

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Hilshire on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 22:36

I put a vote in for Spike.

Triela "Trishire" Hilshire
Chusha - Deviant Art
Star Trek Online @Triela_Hilshire
Fleet commander for Valhalla's Rising - Fleet commander for Sto'Vo'Kor's rising
U.S.S. Protos Heis - Valhalla's Rising's flagship
I.K.S. Protos Heis - Sto'Vo'Kor's Rising's bringer of destruction
Triela wrote:So there's no confusion with our names I'm gonna call you Trishire.
Triela Hilshire

Female

Forum Posts : 150

Fan of : Triela, Henrietta, Rico, Beatrice, Angelica, and... Claes.

Original Characters : Karin Hilshire

Comments : Karin Hilshire, WoD character based off of Triela from Gunslinger Girl.

Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 22:51

Spike, only 'cause I'm more familiar.

I aim to misbehave.

MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 23:16

Spike.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 23:22

Onizuka.

If you've managed to miss it the previous two times, here's my lobbying for Onizuka. Razz
Spoiler:

Towards the end of the GTO manga, Onizuka comes back from the dead, escapes from hospital, and rides a motorcycle through the middle of a typhoon and into the burning school burning, where he proceeds to rescue the new school headmistress who tried to force him out of his job. He then rides out an upper story window with her on the back of his bike. While laughing.

Quote: "I've come from hell... just to get you."

There's also the time one of his students thought her wealthy parents didn't care about her any more because they were so focused on their problems with each other. He decided to prove to her that they did care by faking holding her for ransom. Problem was, some people who had it in for him found out and sent the police to his location. So the police show up outside with an armed special assault team, at least one armoured vehicle, and a helicopter. How does he respond? Simple! He incorporates them into his act and hams it up to the max acting like a communist terrorist while brandishing an airsoft uzi in plain sight of a bunch of heavily armed SAT officers. Laughing

Basically, the reason Onizuka isn't a Boring Invincible Hero is that he's so over the top crazy awesome he can't be boring. Laughing It helps that the guy who draws the manga is good at drawing crazy awesomeness. (For context -Onizuka is on the bike and is trying to get across town to stop one of his students from commiting suicide. He's being doggedly pursued by the School Vice Principal, who has been given responsibility for recovering Onizuka and getting him to face the media (or was it parents?) over a previous incident and who has, well... completely lost it.)

Also, while I know I'm probably one of the few people her who actually takes Nanoha seriously as a badass, I have to wonder how it would go if her and Onizuka ever went up against each other, seeing as how they've both invoked defeat means friendship on their opposition. So when you have the invincible school teacher versus the magical girl who gets compared to a humongous mecha for a reason (yes, the White Devil nickname may have been inspired by the Gundam-ish colour scheme of her outfit, but it's also something she earned) which one ends up getting won over? Laughing

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 21 Apr 2010 - 0:28

It would be a tie resulting in newfound mutual respect for each other. Onizuka would let out a chuckle with a half-grin as he offers her his hand to help her up. Nanoha would smile back and they would stand side-by-side as a new team of invincible awesomeness is formed.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Wed 21 Apr 2010 - 2:40

Spike. This Onizuka guy sounds like he runs across the tundra naked to wrestle polar bears for his morning workout. Anyone can write Superman but Batman is way more badass.

Here is the same vid I posted in round three. Its the end of Ballad of Fallen Angels and it depicts Spike perfectly.

Now, for those of you who don't mind a spoiler tag...

Spoiler:
At the very end of the series Spike basicly goes to face Vicious who has taken command of the syndicate they worked for. How do you assualt a syndicate headquarters when they know you are coming and are prepared for you? I couldn't tell you, but Spike Spiegal walks through the front door. Then he proceeds to fight his way up the entire building and, after being shot, kills his nemesis before coming to his wounds.
theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Wed 21 Apr 2010 - 2:59

Onizuka does seem to be pretty much invincible, but he doesn't exactly seem to be a "know no fear type." He's just crazy enough to do things anyway if he feels the situation calls for it even when he knows they're insanely dangerous. Plus he's actually more subtle sometimes, although "going beyond the impossible" is certainly a big part of his shtick.

Also, do you honestly think this guy comes across like superman? Razz

The difference between Onizuka and a boring invincible hero is that Onizuka isn't boring -he's crazy awesome instead!

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Wed 21 Apr 2010 - 4:46

If you tied a piece of Kryptonite to Superman and then drove him insane, you'd get the crazy antics of Onizuka only not as cool. He's more like Wolverine minus healing and Adamantium.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacen Starslayer on Wed 21 Apr 2010 - 11:28

I would have to go with Spike due to the fact that I am more familiar with him.

"I am the sword of justice
Forged by fate and tempered with time
I have struggled to stay true to his dreams and ideals
Never knowing defeat
Nor victory
Forever waiting for his return
This is my, Infinite Sword Dance"
Jacen Starslayer

Male

Forum Posts : 525

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve 2, Fate/Stay Night, Ah! My Goddess, etc.

Original Characters : Jay Valentine

Comments : "The man who tries to please everyone, will never be happy with themselves."

Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 on Thu 22 Apr 2010 - 0:24

I'm voting Spike Spiegel.

Spike for the win.

"This message was brought to you by 'The Dutch Guy'!"

Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Forum Posts : 1950

Fan of : All the SWA girls, Even the adult ones ^_^

Original Characters : Thomas & Sora Dutch

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Thu 22 Apr 2010 - 2:45

One more for Spike, because I prefer killers to invincible, inspirational figures.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 0:14

Spike wins the match 9-6, which means it's time for the last match of the tournament: Spike versus Roberta.

He's a space bounty hunter who was born on Mars. He is 27 years old and is tall and thin in appearance. He has fluffy dark green hair (I still say it's black!) and reddish-brown eyes, one of which is artificial and lighter than the other. A flashback in Session 6 revealed that his fully functioning right eye was surgically replaced by a cybernetic one (although he himself claims to have lost his natural eye in an
"accident"). He is usually dressed in a blue leisure suit, with a yellow shirt and boots. He often has a cigarette between his lips, sometimes despite rain or "No Smoking" signs. He makes use of sleight of hand techniques to win card games, pickpocket, and slip things onto other people unnoticed. He is also shown to sneak up on enemies through disguise or quiet movement. He always rolls a rogue in D&D games. He is proficient with weaponry (such as his personal Jericho 941 as well as other guns and explosives) and hand-to-hand combat skills. He is a skilled martial
artist and a practitioner of Jeet Kune Do. He is also a pilot and flies a converted Asteroid racer (a crazy space-fighter thingy) called Swordfish II, which is armed with four machine guns, multiple missile launchers, and a plasma cannon. When he is not shown working or practicing martial arts, he is very laid back, sarcastic, and lackadaisical, to the consternation of his crew mates. Did I mention he's voiced by Steven Blum? Here's the ever cool Spike Spiegel.

Spike with his gun drawn, pointed at the camera

A maid who worked for four years at the Lovelace household in Venezuela. Although her domestic skills such as cleaning and cooking were poor, she developed a close friendship with the young son of the Lovelace family, Garcia. She was once known as Rosarita Cisneros, a former FARC guerrilla trained as an assassin in Cuba and an internationally wanted criminal. Balalaika refers her as a "hardcore terrorist" to the point that Hotel Moscow had to deploy all their commandos as well as Balalaika
getting involved in the situation personally should things get out of hand. Revy refers her to "That Fucking Glasses Bitch". She earned the moniker "Bloodhound of Florencia" for her relentless drive to achieve her objectives. Her tormented past and the smell of blood, gunpowder and muck like that of a sewer rat emanating from her was something Revy understood full well.
In combat, She is a truly fearsome opponent, having trained in a wide variety of martial, stealth, and weapon skills. Among the weapons she has used were a sniper rifle, combat knife, a SPAS-12 shotgun disguised as an umbrella, machine gun, grenade launcher hidden in a suitcase, spiked brass knuckles, trench spike, and twin
M1911 pistols. Her strength, speed, endurance, and instincts were honed to almost supernatural levels, so much so that Rock at one point refers to her sardonically as "a killer robot from the future" (a reference to James Cameron's Terminator movies). Presenting someone that can only be described as so deadly.....but so mo: Roberta from Black Lagoon...

Remember kids, get Terminator maid insurance before it's too late
Roberta firing her machine gun suitcase and SPAS-12 umbrella

Voting for this match will end at 9:00pm Pacific Standard time on Sunday, April 25 (giving it an extra day because it's the final match).

Last edited by Piero on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 0:28; edited 1 time in total

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 0:26

Going for Roberta myself. She established herself as a major badass in her first appearance when she came to recover her employer's kid. That incident pales in comparison to her second appearance however, when she throws off all vestiges of being anything but a killer and goes on a roaring rampage of revenge armed with, among other things, this:

Point Fifty Barret with underslung revolver type grenade launcher FTW. Smile

Note that during the same arc she also took on an entire unit of highly trained spec ops and caught and broke the blade of a kukri with her teeth. Of course, it should be noted that she'd gone more than a little loopy that time around, but still...

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 0:30

I'd go with Spike for this one. as unkillable as Roberta is, Spike could take her hand-to-hand, IMO.

I aim to misbehave.

MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 1:06

Spike over here. The last episode of Cowboy Bebop was amazingly intense.

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 1:28

MP5 wrote:I'd go with Spike for this one. as unkillable as Roberta is, Spike could take her hand-to-hand, IMO.

I would not count on that.

Actually, I think if Spike saw psycho mode Roberta in action, he would decide to stay the hell away no matter what the reward being offered was. The man isn't stupid after all, and he has a sense of self preservation. To quote Han Solo: "What good's a reward if you ain't around to use it?"

It's too bad the Black Lagoon OVA depicting what happened during the arc where Roberta makes her second appearance isn't out yet. Judging by what I've seen in the manga, if done right it should blow her performance during her first appearance in the anime clean out of the water. And that is not a statement to be made lightly.

Last edited by Piero on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 1:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding in a quote.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 1:33

Roberta. I probably would have voted Onizuka over her, but not Spike.
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 2:03

Eh, I... wouldn't doubt Spike so much, Piero. Considering who and what he's fought, Roberta would be an average adversary.

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 2:07

Spike.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 2:29

Five_X wrote:Eh, I... wouldn't doubt Spike so much, Piero. Considering who and what he's fought, Roberta would be an average adversary.

Since when is a woman who managed to turn an entire unit of elite special forces soldiers into her prey "average"? (And those guys lived up to that title too -they were serious badasses, not the sort of cannon fodder mooks that get gunned down en masse in other parts of Black Lagoon -example the cartel members she took at the Yellow Flag during her first appearance.)

When I say that Spike would be smart enough to stay the hell away from psycho mode Roberta if he saw her in action, that should be taken as a compliment. It shows the man is sane.

If anyone is willing to read to the end of this chapter, it does a pretty good job of illustrating what psycho mode Roberta is capable of.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 6:15

Going with Roberta.

As spike would put it: "I love a woman who can kick my ass."

Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Forum Posts : 1950

Fan of : All the SWA girls, Even the adult ones ^_^

Original Characters : Thomas & Sora Dutch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 6:18

Roberta. The best way I can describe an encounter being her and Spike would be...

Spoiler:
It would be like running into Mad Pierrot in an alleyway at night. Both are known to be unstoppable forces committed to killing whomever crosses them and they are the strongest characters in their respective titles. Spike would be lucky to survive an encounter with Roberta much like his two encounters with Pierrot in Cowboy Bebop.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
-Joker "Batman: The Killing Joke"
If the SWA told Sandro to go fuck a chicken, he would.
-Elfen in Chatbox (3/28/09)
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 6:41

Roberta
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 9:30

Roberta

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 10:30

Spike.

Jet: "Betrayal may come easily to women, but men live by iron codes of honor."
Faye: "You really believe that?"
Jet: "I'm trying to. Real hard."
theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 10:33

As much as I want to automatically vote for Roberta, something got me thinking - something I want to ask all of you to answer honestly. Forget fighting skills for a sec - where smarts come into play, who has the edge? I dare say Spike would be more than smart enough to come up with a scheme that will give him the upper hand.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 10:36

Think of it like that fight between Superman and Batman in 'The Dark Knight Returns'. Superman seems the no-brainer choice for champ. But Batman outsmarted him in the end.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 22:44

Yeah, Spike is pretty much Batman. He didn't need a complex plan to beat the Mad Pierrot. He just did what he least expected: a non-flashy knife throw.

I'd hav to say that Roberta would probably be more Attack Attack Attack!!! than really making a strategy. And strategies are often badass. Sure she can tear stuff apart. She has killing power, yes. But not badassery. But against a cunning opponent, she'd probably lose. You may state that she did pretty much beat Revy, but even so, Revy isn't exactly the brains of Black Lagoon's operations.

A better fight for Spike would be someone like Archer, who fights using intelligence and planning, with good improvisation mid-fight. Roberta also isn't a particularly versatile fighter. She's average at best in hand to hand combat, mostly relying on beating on her opponent. Spike, however, is a trained martial artist and fights hand to hand quite often, in addition to gunfighting and others. So he's got her beat in versatility.

Roberta can plow through Special Forces, yes, but reading the manga and watching the anime, Balalaika's soldiers aren't too impressive. Their power level depends on how much it is needed. If a scene is meant to show them being tough, they'll be tough. If someone else is in focus, they will turn weaksauce. Spike has fought smarter and stronger opponents. In all honesty, Roberta is... kinda lame. Fans think she's great, but she really isn't. She shows up and shoots stuff. That's pretty much it.

Kohaku is a much more formidable maid. She has extreme intelligence on her side.

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 23 Apr 2010 - 23:41

Edit: On second though, my last post was far too long and argued too many different points. Best to keep things simple.

In the following scene, a bunch of thugs Roberta hired try to make a sneak attack on the special forces soldiers whose commander Roberta intends to kill. Since they're just a bunch of cheap punks, they get massacred. However, Roberta's objective with hiring said cheap punks was to flush said Special Forces out by making them believe their safe house had been compromised. After which she started things in earnest by cracking out the .50 Barret and the underslung grenade launcher.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/black_lagoon/v08/c058/1.html

Basically, these pages proves two things: one, Roberta uses strategy, and two, the guys she is hunting are serious pros.

And just in case anyone is confused as to what's going on, there's also a group of FARC commandos who have come to kill Roberta for being a traitor. They're watching the situation as well. Things are a bit complicated.

Last edited by Piero on Sat 24 Apr 2010 - 0:23; edited 1 time in total

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Sat 24 Apr 2010 - 0:10

I read that already, Piero.

Also, I see no badassery inherent in her use of an anti-materiel rifle against soft targets. A semi-auto sniper rifle with a larger clip would be more effective, and more badass. Spike has smarts. Roberta has dime-a-dozen brute force.

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 24 Apr 2010 - 0:27

Well then, I personally find some of the claims you're making rather laughable but I guess different people will always see things differently.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring on Sat 24 Apr 2010 - 2:55

C'mon guys, chill. These tournies are suppose to be lighthearted and fun. Stuff like this really makes me reconsider even participating in the future.

"Do you know what Jesus said in John chapter 5? Don't bring me any trouble, bitch." - Eda, Black Lagoon
"Anybody can be cool...but awesome takes practice." - Lorraine Peterson
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakura on Sat 24 Apr 2010 - 2:58

rusty-spring wrote:Stuff like this really makes me reconsider even participating in the future.
Well said.

Since I'm here, I'll give my vote to Roberta.

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie
"You treacherous bitch!" -rustyspring (After I pwned him)
Sakura
Dr. Turtle Punter

Female

Forum Posts : 472

Fan of : Penguins, Pancake Bunny

Comments : Likes penguins, flop-eared bunnies, punting turtles, and kicking pigeons

Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sun 25 Apr 2010 - 11:27

One more for Roberta.
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 26 Apr 2010 - 0:10

And it looks like a 8-5 victory for Roberta, which makes her the winner of the tournament. Anyone mind if I use this as her "victory pic"? Given that this is a badasses tournament, the bloodstains don't seem entirely inappropriate...

I wonder what I would have used if it had been one of the Nanoha girls that won? Razz

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top