Anime/ Manga Meganekko (Girls with Glasses) Tourney

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anime/ Manga Meganekko (Girls with Glasses) Tourney

Post by Ggultra2764 on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 20:17

And it's back to square one now. Anime has bishoujo and tsundere that get all the attention. But those that do have their fandom include the meganekko. One of the classic "sweet girl" anime archetypes, meganekko are quite often well known for being beautiful, smart, pleasant and clever, usually being a supporting friend and/or potential love interest for the male lead in an anime title. Other times in some titles, meganekko can have a darker side that makes them all the more appealing (or disturbing) to their fanbase. Or in some cases, said meganekko can be a hard-ass dictating their authority in a leadership role.

For a contestant to be eligible for the meganekko tourney, they must be a female anime character (obviously! Razz ), they need to be having their glasses on for the entirety or majority of their series and the glasses must be a prominent part of their character (Nagato Yuki's out since she just created them and Claes won't be allowed since her need for them is psychological and the fact I don't want any GSG characters involved in this tourney). Here are the usual roles for nominations:

1. I'm looking for 32 characters to be nominated and seconded for spots in this tourney. Once 32 spots are filled, I will officially start up the tourney. Seconding as in after a nomination is made, a second vote is needed for their spot in the tourney to be final.

2. For a nomination to be official, I need the character's name, the anime they are from, a short description of said character and a picture of that character being no bigger than 640x480 resolution.

3. No more than 2 characters from the same anime title will be allowed for seconding. I will allow more than 2 nominees from an anime. But only two spots for characters from the same title will be allowed for seconding. So first come, first serve.

Now that this is cleared up, go ahead and bring on the glasses girls.

Final Tourney Roster:
1. Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara (Azumanga Daioh)
2. Sora Hasegawa (Ah My Goddess)
3. Kisaragi Yamaguchi (GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class)
4. Matsuri Sakuragi (Strawberry Marshmallow)
5. Yomiko Readman (Read or Die)
6. Nina Einstein (Code Geass)
7. Tsubasa Hanekawa (Bakemonogatari)
8. Yukio Washimine (Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage)
9. Emma (Emma: Victorian Romance)
10. Yoriko Nikaido (You're Under Arrest)
11. Integra Hellsing (Hellsing)
12. Roberta (Black Lagoon)
13. Manami Kasuga (Kimagure Orange Road)
14. Aoi Futaba (Asobi ni Ikuyo)
15. Miyuri Akisato (Starship Operators)
16. Misaki Kirihara (Darker than Black)
17. Motoko Mihara (Rocket Girls)
18. Keiko (Minami-ke)
19. Kyouko Tokiwa (Full Metal Panic)
20. Mari Illustrious Makinami (Evangelion 2.0)
21. Mitsue Shijo (Kamichu)
22. Sheska (Full Metal Alchemist)
23. Hikari (Haibane Renmei)
24. Hikaru Amano (Martian Successor Nadesico)
25. Parfet Balblair (Vandread)
26. Mine Kuramae (Fruits Basket)
27. Anthy Himemiya (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
28. Ciel (Tsukihime)
29. Taeko Minazuki (Ai Yori Aoshi)
30. Kozue Naruse (Occult Academy)
31. Saya Takagi (High School of the Dead)
32. Anri Sonohara (Durarara!)

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Tue 24 Aug 2010 - 17:26; edited 46 times in total (Reason for editing : Made a small change to eligibility requirements.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
-Joker "Batman: The Killing Joke"
If the SWA told Sandro to go fuck a chicken, he would.
-Elfen in Chatbox (3/28/09)
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/ Manga Meganekko (Girls with Glasses) Tourney

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 20:46

@Ggultra2764 wrote:...and they must actually need their glasses in order to see...

That eliminates Yuki Nagato, as well.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10890

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 20:56

@Kiskaloo wrote:
@Ggultra2764 wrote:...and they must actually need their glasses in order to see...

Yep.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! You've read about it in the papers! Now witness, before your very eyes, that most rare and tragic of nature's mistakes! I give you: the average man."
Ggultra2764

Male

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:02

I'm starting Old School: Vanessa Laid from The Super Dimension Fortress Macross. Vanessa was one of the three staffers who managed ship's functions from the bridge of the SDF-1 - in her case, the Chief Computer Operator. The three were prone to gossip and often compared notes on the ongoing romantic woes of their friend and leader, Misa Hayase; Vanessa, the most mature and outspoken of the girls, even directly tried to help Misa with her romantic troubles on more than one occasion.

Personally, I always thought she was the cutest member of the bridge crew.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:11; edited 1 time in total

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:07

Think you could provide a description of her character with at least a couple sentences?

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:09

Mizuhara Koyomi, better known to her friends as "Yomi", is rather similar to someone that you probably knew or know in high school. Although she isn't actually a genius, she does study hard, and gets good grades because of it. She is also constantly concerned about being a little overweight, even though her weight never actually seems to be off kilter in either direction. She is also fairly rational in her behavior, although she sometimes tends to crack under pressure, and in the high school year book may be remembered as being in the "most likely to go postal" category.

Write-Up courtesy of Full-Time Meganekko

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:12; edited 1 time in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:12

@Ggultra2764 wrote:Think you could provide a description of her character with at least a couple sentences?

She's a minor character, so there does not seem to be much, but I cut and pasted some stuff from Wiki and the Meganekko page.

But frankly, if you don't know Robotech, you are not worthy of calling yourself an anime fan. Razz

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:16

I'll second Koyomi.

I have enough time to goof off tomorrow after my running around. At that time, I'll try thinking of some nominees.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:26

@Kiskaloo wrote:

And Aoi Futaba ("Crysis-tan") from Asobi ni Ikuyo as well...

A lot of the really awesome meganekos are false ones, it seems.

I can come up with a few (Kyouko Tokiwa from Full Metal Panic, Miyuri Akisato from Starship Operators, Mihara from Rocket Girls, and Misaki Kirihara from Darker Than Black), but I might not get them up until next week. My local anime convention starts tommorow.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:33

I'm kind of thinking that the "must need them to be able to see" is a little harsh. A LOT of characters wear them but don't need them.

"The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors." - rustyspring on curling

"The world will listen to me!" - Makoto Itou, butchered translation of School Days

"Bullshit! I want healthy Arf back!" - Piero, on Nanoha season three
Five_X

Male

Forum Posts : 695

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:47

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 23:57

Ggultra I know you don't really want Claes in this, but I'm not sure banning all characters who don't actually need glasses is a good idea. Despite not technically needing them some of these characters do have wearing glasses as a defining trait, sometimes even more so than some characters that actually need them. Aoi from Asobi ni Ikuyo for instance doesn't actually need her glasses, but she has much more of a "glasses girl" vibe than someone like Chie Harada from Mai-HiME even though Chie gives every indication of actually wearing glasses "legitimately."

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 8:52

Considering I have you complaining as well Piero, I've tweaked the rules a bit to be less strict on what I'm expecting. But Claes (for obvious reasons) and Yuki Nagato are barred from being contestants in this tourney.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 22:42

I'll be throwing out a bunch of megane-ko. Here's the first batch:

Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing -- Hellsing

As a young girl, she took over the family business of slaying vampires and other ghouls and can go toe-to-toe with NAZIs, Regenerator Priests, and Darcula himself. She's the megane girl you say "YES" to.

Becky "The Nose" Farrah -- Gunsmith Cats

She's the girl who always has the lowdown on all the information in the city of Chicago, especially Chicago's underworld. While she asks a high price for her info, it is always legit, and she will go above and beyond for her friends.

Sora Hasegawa -- Ah! My Goddess!

Member of the motor club and chemistry major at the university. While usually overshadowed by the three Goddesses, we all know that real goddesses wear glasses.

Kisaragi Yamaguchi
-- GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class

She is clumsy and gullible, but also gentle at heart. Dedicated to her drawing and art, rivaled only by her friends.

MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 22:50

Sora Hasegawa -- Ah! My Goddess! - Seconded

Kisaragi Yamaguchi -- GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class - Seconded

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 23:03

Here's batch #2:

Emma -- Victorian Romance Emma

Barely escaping as a child from being sold to a brothel, she was picked up off the streets by retired governess, Kelly Stowner, when she is taught to read, write, and of course, is given her first and precious pair of glasses. She falls in love love with Mrs. Stowner's former pupil, despite his coming from a rich family, and manages to overcome the class structure of Victorian England to find love while remaining a paragon of womanly vitrue.

Neneko -- Dears

When her childhood friend Takeya ends up swarmed by a harem of
Megane-less aliens, she stands as the counterbalance and voice of
reason. Comign across as almost a tom-boy, she none-the-less has a
semi-hidden talent of fashion design and making kawaii dresses.

Harumi Fujiyoshi -- Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

A doujin artist who is into cat ears and yaoi pairing, she not only has to deal with her suicidal teacher Zetsubou-Sensei, but also with a super positive girl, a psycotic methodical girl, an abusive mailing girl, an illegal refugee girl, a total schitzo, among others.

MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 23:18

Here's batch #3:

Igusa -- Inukami!

A shy girl who is actually a dog goddess, and part of a magic weilder's pack. She is shy, especially around boys and very especially around boys she thinks are a bit ecchi, and secretly writes shonen-ai manga. She also is a financial wiz and is responsible for her pack's and master.

Yomiko Readman -- Read or Die

A total bibliophile, she is also the master of controlling and manipulating paper, and serves as a secret agent for the British Library. Her hair is often unkempt and she cares little for fashion -- or anything that isn't a book for that matter. She nonetheless shares a strong bond with her friends, such as author Nenene Sumiregawa, and will protect the people close to her and risk everything for them -- even going up against the power of the British Library and their power itself.

Matsuri Sakuragi
-- Ichigo Mashimaro (Strawberry Marshmellow)

A timid and shy girl, with her pet ferret John, she is often teased by Miu Matsouka, she often end up crying or hiding behind the older Nobue Ito, who just loved Matsuri's adorableness.

There will be one more batch, all from one show...
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 23:27

Matsuri Sakuragi from Ichigo Mashimaro (Strawberry Marshmellow): Seconded

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 23:28

Last batch -- all from Pani Poni Dash!

Rei Tachibana

Student number 23 in Becky MIyamoto's class and member of the newspaper club. She is known as the "witch" for her information collecting ability and her no-holds-barred attitude. She has the number 2 GPA in school. Rei works part time at a Chinese restaurant, has a fetish for cosplay, and is lousy at drawing.

Miyako Uehara

She is the "studybug" of class 1-C (although her grades didn't reflect her effort). She has an incredibly shiny head that often blinds the camera when she's making a point. Miyako claims she only needs glasses occasionally, but wears them all the time.

Behoimi

At first, she apprears to be the typical high-energy, though megane-less, "healing type" magical girl, but in reality she is a more reserved and serious girl, who nonetheless find out that she can still help people despite not being a high-strung magical girl. She is also a specialist in medicine, toxicology, and explosives.

MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 23:50

I'll toss in some nominees as well:

This class president normally has a pleasant personality and advises Koyomi Araragi over the many things that go on in his life, especially concerning the spirits he normally comes across and his developing relationship with one Hitagi Senjougohara. However, this girl does what she can to bottle up any stress she experiences and when built up enough, a bakeneko takes over her body as a means for her to release this stress upon unwilling victims. Here's Bakemonogatari's Tsubasa Hanekawa.

A secretary for the Fuka Academy Student Council, this quiet and introverted girl is normally seen hanging around with Haruka Suzushiro, the two being best friends. She's strongly hinted to have stronger feelings for Haruka than she lets on, but is too reserved to act upon them. Later in her series, she is revealed to be one of the 12 HIME with her Element being a mirror and her Child, Diana, being a plant-like creature that fires off spores used as cameras and capable of creating cloaking fields and illusions, making the Child effective for reconnaissance purposes. Here's My-Hime's Yukino Kikukawa.

This high school student is the next-in-line to become the head of her family's crime syndicate despite the fact her family doesn't want her to follow her family's bloody, dark path. But after the assassination of the syndicate's head by Hotel Moscow and learning the Russian syndicate has plans to dominate the Japanese crime world, this girl becomes the new leader of the syndicate and proceeds to do what she can alongside her bodyguard Ginji Matsuzaki to halt Hotel Moscow's plans to intrude upon her syndicate's territory, despite being totally unprepared for the reality of the dark world that she willingly crosses into. Here's Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage's Yukio Washimine.

@MadHatChemist: I'll second your nomination for Yomiko Readman. Love Read or Die!

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Sat 14 Aug 2010 - 18:09

Tossing in some more nominees...

A member of Ashford Academy's student council, this reserved girl has a large fear of Elevens and develops intense feelings for Britannian princess Euphemia to the point where the picture of the princess drives her to, um... do something with a table. Following later events with Euphemia, this girl becomes mentally unstable and develops a nuclear weapon she threatens to detonate to kill off Zero and the Black Knights. Because of her development on the weapon, Schneizel vi Britannia recruits her as a weapons research scientist to develop a nuclear weapon called FLEJIA. Here's Code Geass's infamous Psycho Lesbian, Nina Einstein.

Seemingly subservient to whomever is her "prince," this young woman is known as the Rose Bride who becomes the property of whoever wins in a sword duel between the current owner of the Rose Bride and their challenger. Formerly owned by student council member Kyouichi Saionji, this girl becomes the property of Utena Tenjou after she defeats Saionji in a duel. Utena desires this girl to be her own individual instead of being an object and fights in the Rose Duels to defend the Rose Bride against becoming someone else's object. However, there is a more darker and sinister side to the Rose Bride's character that is slowly unraveled as her show progresses. Here's Revolutionary Girl Utena's Anthy Himemiya.

A talented novelist, this young woman became an acclaimed writer in her teens while still in high school where she met up with bibliomaniac Yomiko Readman with the two become close friends. But with Yomiko disappearing, this novelist develops a case of writer's block where she is unable to write anything new in two years as she continues to find the whereabouts of her lost friend. She meets up with the Paper Sisters who are hired by the woman's publisher to be her bodyguards. Annoyed with their presence at first, this woman warms up to the three Paper Masters as they become just as important to her as Yomiko in her life, enough where she develops the motivation to resume her writing. Here's Read or Die's Nenene Sumiregawa.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sun 15 Aug 2010 - 0:21

I'll second Bakemonogatari's Tsubasa Hanekawa and Code Geass's Nina Einstein.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sun 15 Aug 2010 - 12:03

Seconds Yukio Washimine
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by windfish55 on Sun 15 Aug 2010 - 15:21

Seconding Emma.

"Can I just submit that everyone in this thread is wrong about everything no matter what? Seriously, there is no such thing as anything, ever. So stop arguing."
-Anonymous
windfish55

Male

Forum Posts : 145

Fan of : Shonen Knife

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Sun 15 Aug 2010 - 18:51

MUST need glasses eh?

Well then that leaves out more than a few of my faves like Roberta from Black Lagoon, Miyu from Kenichi: World's Disciple (or something), and my personal fave GSG Claes from Gunslinger Girl.

Well then here are mine.

Ryuubi Gentoku from Ikki Tousen

A clutzy bookworm with seemingly little to no practical skills, let alone combat skills. Ryuubi is destined to be a great leader someday, but is presently too timid and
carefree to become one. However, she is still more than willing to do her best for her best friends, Chouhi Ekitoku and Kanu Unchou.

Komoe Harumachi from Eiken

Komoe is the youngest member of the Eiken Club. She tends to a lot of the chores in the club, like cleaning and cooking. Komoe easily gets overwhelmed and faints, but she likes the fact the other members of the club actually need her and let her do things. She gives
everything she does her best.

Sensei/Teacher from Eiken

Sensei is never named, though she is a teacher from Zashono Academy and serves as he advisor to the Eiken Club. She is often neglected and forgotten by everyone at the school, and often by the club itself.

Last edited by boomer_gonz on Mon 16 Aug 2010 - 7:30; edited 1 time in total

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2559

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Sun 15 Aug 2010 - 22:15

Boomer, ggultra revised the rule. Nominations can now wear glasses as a personal preference, and not need them.

Also, Claes would never be allowed to compete in a tournament, especially this. There have been slip ups in the past, but they have been corrected.

"The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors." - rustyspring on curling

"The world will listen to me!" - Makoto Itou, butchered translation of School Days

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sun 15 Aug 2010 - 23:42

Fuu Hououji from Magical Knight Rayearth
One of three girls brought from the Tokyo tower to the magical land of Cephiro to save the princess. The smartest and most level headed of the three she compares their adventure to fantasy role playing games as they travel land seeking various powers. On a side note her glasses disapear when ever she dones her magical armor but retains normal vision when this happens.

Yoriko Nikaido from Your Under Arrest
Awkward and clumsy she is often over shadowed by her fellow police oficers and is plagued by feelings of doubt and insecurty at times. However she is incredibly lucky and dedicated to being a traffic cop keeping the streets of Tokyo safe.

Korhan Li from Sakura wars
She is part of the Imperial flower troop protecting Tokyo from the supernatural forces being thrown at it. Her main role in and out of combat is support. She is the main mechanic keeping their Kobu in working order. A mechanic at heart most of her inventions end up failing in spectacular fashion.
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Mon 16 Aug 2010 - 0:12

I'll second Yoriko Nikaido from Your Under Arrest.
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Mon 16 Aug 2010 - 12:27

I second Integra Hellsing from Hellsing.

Also as a final nomination, I nominate everybody's favorite "glasses bitch"; Rosarita 'Roberta' Cisneros from Black Lagoon.

A former FARC guerrilla trained as an assassin in Cuba and an internationally wanted criminal, she earned the moniker "Bloodhound of Florencia" for her relentless drive to achieve her objectives and Revy of the Lagoon Company as unofficially dubbed her as "That Fucking Glasses Bitch". Working as a maid in the Lovelace household, her domestic skills such as cleaning and cooking were poor, she developed a close friendship with the young son of the Lovelace family, Garcia.

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2559

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Mon 16 Aug 2010 - 14:09

Toss in another meganeko.

One of Kyosuke's younger sisters, this girl has a reserved personality and normally prepares meals for her family. Like her older brother and her twin sister Kurumi, she is an esper yet doesn't make use of her powers as frequently as her siblings unless its necessary. One prominent episode of her series shows her having a wild side she often dresses up in to let loose stress from her duties around the Kasuga household. Here's Kimagure Orange Road's Manami Kasuga.

I'll also second Roberta's entry into the tourney. I'm no longer allowing any more entries from Black Lagoon since two characters from the series are now involved in the tournament.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 16 Aug 2010 - 14:22

Here's Kimagure Orange Road's Manami Kasuga.

Seconded.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 16 Aug 2010 - 15:32

@Ggultra2764 wrote:Considering I have you complaining as well Piero, I've tweaked the rules a bit to be less strict on what I'm expecting. But Claes (for obvious reasons) and Yuki Nagato are barred from being contestants in this tourney.

Thanks. (I still think Nagato should be allowed to participate since she doesn't have the home crowd advantage issue, but I'll go with what you've decided on that one.)

Bit slow on the draw with this due to the anime convention, but here's the first of my nominations:

This girl was thrown out by her parents because they were frightened of her ability to summon nearby objects to her hands. She was raised by “the other half of society” and ended up becoming a special agent for the Japanese Customs Agency, where she earned both a fearsome reputation and the nickname “Bad Luck Momiji.” She usually wears glasses as part of her civilian identity as an ordinary high school girl. She has an interest in movies that eventually led to her meeting Kio, a boy about her own age that she began to take an interest in. Her feelings for Kio eventually came into conflict with her professional loyalties when she was assigned to go after Eris, the alien cat girl that Kio came into contact with. Here’s Aoi Futaba from Asobi ni Ikuyo!

This was the other picture I was considering for her, but I'm not sure that it illustrates her character quite as well: http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8347/aoi1.jpg

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 16 Aug 2010 - 20:51

Nomination two. Should be more coming.

A military cadet who participated in a plan to liberate her home planet by selling the
broadcast rights for the rebellion to a TV network and using the funds to purchase and maintain the battle ship necessary to stage said rebellion. She is the best friend of the ship’s second in command, the tactically brilliant Sinon Kouzuki. However where Sinon is generally reserved and borderline melancholy, this girl is very cheerful and outgoing. Unlike Sinon, she doesn't seem to be particularly bothered by seeing a swimsuit clad CGI version of herself hawking exercise equipment on TV, simply shrugging it off as "part of the contract." Her main passion is astronomy, which is why she spends much of her off duty time in the ship’s observatory. Her talent as an astronomer also got put to use when the ship was threatened by an enemy stealth vessel. Strangely enough for a person living over two hundred years in the future, her glasses seem to serve more than just a merely aesthetic purpose, as she was shown having a great deal trouble finding them when she was roused out of bed by an alarm despite the fact that said glasses were right in front of her. Here’s Miyuri Akisato from Starship Operators.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 16 Aug 2010 - 21:03

@Piero wrote:
Here’s Aoi Futaba from Asobi ni Ikuyo!
Here’s Miyuri Akisato from Starship Operators.

Seconded.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tsundere9kagami2 on Tue 17 Aug 2010 - 0:01

what about that new girl in Evangelion Mari Illustrious Makinami

I'm actually a hardcore otaku who likes maids more than having three meals in a day and I only read books related to maids. Also, I only visit maid cafes. Of course I also collect maid figurines, I play games which feature maids and it turns me on so much that I'll wear the maid uniforms and jump in joy.
tsundere9kagami2
Oceanic Drifting

Male

Forum Posts : 1069

Fan of : Moe~

Original Characters : youru kun

Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 17 Aug 2010 - 0:12

Here's a pair of older meganekkos:

A chemist working for the Solomon Space Agency, a Japanese corporation operating in then Solomon Islands that tried to corner a market in satellite repair by attempting to develop low cost manned space flight. She has an obsession with oxidation –the SSA’s director actually convinced her to join the Agency by pointing out how rockets were essentially the ultimate examples of the oxidation process. At least two of the many explosions that plagued the SSA’s rockets during testing was due to her mixing additives to the fuel to make it burn better. She eventually developed a partially rubber based fuel that allowed for a very lightweight rocket design because it was stable until acted upon as a catalyst, namely platinum. She used her own wedding ring to provide the platinum necessary to complete the experiment since it happened to be handy. Her glasses have a tendency to go shiny at times, particularly in situations where her actions are making other characters nervous. She has also demonstrated something of a lack of the finer points of human relations, as exemplified by her simply ordering astronaut in training Yukari Morita to take off her clothes without explaining why when she was trying to take measurements for Yukari’s space suit. Here’s Motoko Mihara from Rocket Girls.

Originally the Chief of a branch of Public Security known as Foreign Affairs Section Four, this policewoman was involved in investigating many incidents in Tokyo that involved “contractors” (people with special abilities). She developed a romantic interest with a young man named Li who was actually the civilian alias of the elusive and deadly contractor known as “BK-201” or “The Black Reaper.” She eventually became involved in stopping a plot that aimed to exterminate contractors, eventually arresting one of the plot’s leaders and in the process making the contractor phenomenon public for the first time. However the organization behind the actual plot proved elusive, and she ended up resigning her post and tranferring to an out of the way police station, though she continued to take an interest in the whereabouts of BK-201. After losing track of BK-201 she accepted an offer to work for a covert agency named Section Three, which led to her becoming involved in another major contractor related incident. She has a liking for greasy food, but claims that her she can get away with it because her job keeps her moving. Here’s Misaki Kirihara from Darker Than Black.

I may try to do some nominations for Kyouko Tokiwa from Full Metal Panic and Chie Harada from Mai HiME at some point soon, but I'm thinking maybe I should give some attention to Five_X's tsundere tournament for a bit now.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Tue 17 Aug 2010 - 8:45

Have another gal I thought up:

Appearing to be a new teacher at Kei Kusanagi's school, this young woman is actually an alien observer monitoring human activity on our planet. She has a great interest in eating Pocky, earning her a rep with anime fans in love with the food. Kei discovers her status as an alien observer before she starts up her Earth role as a teacher. To avoid exposing the woman's secret to others, Kei and this woman act under the guise they are a married couple for Kei's aunt, uncle and his principal while at the same time, trying to avoid exposing this secret to the school students, staff and faculty. Here's Onegai Teacher's Mizuho Kazami.

One of Kana Minami's classmates, this girl is an honors student who quite often gets lured into Kana's silly antics. On occasion, Kana likes to take this girl's glasses under the belief that they make her appear smarter and she is bugged by Riko about the amount of attention Kana receives from her crush Fujioka. Here's Minami-ke's Keiko.

I'll second Misaki Kirihara for the tourney as well.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Wed 18 Aug 2010 - 0:30

Seconded:

Motoko Mihara from Rocket Girls

Keiko from Miname-ke
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Wed 18 Aug 2010 - 1:33

And a couple minor characters who were fairly amusing (and in one case, remarkably well fleshed out for a character who wasn't part of the main cast).

The cute best friend of the fiery tsundere Kaname Chidori. She is generally extremely cheerful and doesn’t seem to be bothered by Kaname’s unpredictable mood swings. She often carries a small digital camera and seems to like to snap pictures of just about anything and everything she encounters. She also has a keen interest in Kaname’s love life (she once set Kaname up on a disastrous blind date because someone asked her to) and particularly her relationship with Sousuke Sagara, a socially inept military fanboy who is actually an elite soldier from a secret organization called Mithril that was assigned to go undercover to protect Kaname. She is very good at reading her best friend and can easily see through the other girl’s attempts at denial. Here’s Kyouko Tokiwa from Full Metal Panic.

One of a pair of girls who were among the first Fuuka Academy students to make friends with newcomer Mai Tokiha. She is the school’s self professed gossip queen, which may explain why she took such an interest in Mai (who first appeared at Fuuka under very odd circumstances). Given this title she has proved to be remarkably respectful of Mai’s privacy, advising one of her friends not to pry too much into Mai’s circumstances when said friend wondered why Mai always seemed to be too busy to join them for outtings. This does not mean that she doesn’t keep a close eye on Mai’s love life however, as she once countered Mai’s attempt to deny being involved with a guy by producing a cell phone picture of Mai together with said guy. In fact, she has occasionally outright meddled in Mai’s love life, at one point capturing Mai’s younger roommate at a festival and telling her that she would only release said roommate it Mai had a “proper date” with the guy she was with. For some reason she is often viewed as being rather boyish -this might be due to the fact that she is almost always seen together with her friend Aoi, who has longer hair and seems to find almost everything she comes across cute. At one point Mai even tells this girl that “If you were a boy, I might have fallen in love with you” when the two are forced to part ways under trying circumstances late in the series, to which this girl has the good humour to smile a little and reply that she would “take that as a compliment.” Here’s Chie Harada from Mai-HiME.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 21:04

I'll second Kyouko for the tourney. Let me toss in a couple nominees:

One of Sakura Kinomoto's classmates, this girl is also on the cheerleader club. She is interested in reading various kinds of stories, with her personal favorite being fantasy stories. Unlike Sakura, the mention of ghost stories gets this girl excited to explore mysterious and unknown situations. In one memorable episode of her show, this girl unintentionally causes trouble for Sakura by writing up a story using the Create card's book form with what she writes coming to life in front of Sakura. Here's Card Captor Sakura's Naoko Yanagisawa.

This clumsy second-year college student winds up being a maid for the Sakuraba household moving in with Kaoru and Tina. Having a rather large bust size and being naive, two male photography club members (not counting Kaoru) at her college often take advantage of her naiveté by having her pose for photos in some revealing cosplay costumes. She has a fascination with the supernatural shown in one episode and is a horrible driver that Kaoru, Chika and Tina fear behind the wheel. Like many of the female residents at the Western style house, this girl finds herself attracted to Kaoru while unaware that he only has his eyes set on Aoi. Here's Ai Yori Aoshi's Taeko Minazuki.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 22:41

@Ggultra2764 wrote:This clumsy second-year college student winds up being a maid for the Sakuraba household moving in with Kaoru and Tina. Having a rather large bust size and being naive, two male photography club members (not counting Kaoru) at her college often take advantage of her naiveté by having her pose for photos in some revealing cosplay costumes. She has a fascination with the supernatural shown in one episode and is a horrible driver that Kaoru, Chika and Tina fear behind the wheel. Like many of the female residents at the Western style house, this girl finds herself attracted to Kaoru while unaware that he only has his eyes set on Aoi. Here's Ai Yori Aoshi's Taeko Minazuki.

Hey, that image is foul play! This tournament is supposed to be about the glasses! Razz

Then again, I guess I did nominate Chie even though she kind of strikes me as a "cool girl with glasses" rather than a "glasses girl"... (although then again I do find trying to imagine some of the images of her without her glasses a bit weird in spite of that).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 on Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 12:01

Seconds Roberta. I can't believe no one's already done this.
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 12:51

She's still a meganekko Piero, even with the revealing attire. Razz

Am I gonna have to kick start things myself? Here's a good-sized list of nominees I thought up:

The newest Eva pilot to be introduced in the Rebuild of Evangelion movies, this young woman was the pilot of Eva-05 in America before it was destroyed. She accidentally parachutes down upon a surprised Shinji on his school rooftop later in the movie and enjoys the smell of LCL fluid coming from his body. She's perhaps well known for being capable of willingly triggering the Berserker mode of Eva-02. Here's Evangelion 2.0: You Can Not Advances's Mari Illustrious Makinami.

One of Mayuko's classmates at her cram school, this young woman has an immense fascination with aliens and UFOs normally carrying her laptop and a digital camera. She is very curious over the extraterrestrial activity taking place near the town and investigates it whenever she can. Here's Niea Under Seven's Chiaki Komatsu.

One of Lain's classmates, this middle school student commits suicide at the start of her series. Despite her apparent demise, e-mails written by her are sent out to all the middle school students a couple weeks later. The contents of the e-mail motivate Lain to look into the strange happenings taking place in the wired world, as well as learning things about herself she never knew. Here's Serial Experiments Lain's Chisa Yomoda.

One of the Haibane living at Old Home, this girl has been a Haibane for three years. A serious-thinking yet often mischievous and funny girl, this girl normally works at the local bakery. Here's Haibane Renmei's Hikari.

One of three new mecha pilots recruited to the Nadesico after Gai Daigouji's demise, this young woman is first seen crawling through the air ducts on the ship before falling upon a surprised Akito Tenkawa while he was watching Gekigengar. An anime and manga otaku herself, this woman dreams of creating her own doujinshi of the series where she is one of the female leads and two of the Gekigengar male characters are in a yaoi relationship. It seems she also had some form of love troubles in the past as she rejected the affections of Nadesico's chief engineer Seiya Urubatake while using model kits in a later episode in her series. Here's Martian Successor Nadesico's Hikaru Amano.

An assistant at Ayame Sohma's clothing store, this young woman is normally seen dressed in a maid costume always having a smile while doing her work. To Tohru's dismay, this girl has the obsessive habit of wanting to dress up any pretty girl that comes into the store. She and Ayame appear to have a greater relationship that extends beyond manager and worker as Ayame admits that this woman's helped him to overcome his own self-doubts on his ego causing others to not connect with him. Here's Fruits Basket's Mine Kuramae.

The level-headed of the main trio of girls in Kamichu, this middle school student is very down-to-earth and she's often sought out by Yurie for advice. While the advice is simple and common sense, it does enough to boost Yurie's confidence in any situation she winds up in. Unfortunately for this girl, she often finds herself being the unwilling possessed victim of the shrine god Yashima whenever he needs to communicate with people who can't sense his presence or if he's in the mood to play the guitar. Here's Mitsue Shijo.

Well-endowed and mischievous, this woman shows up in each of the crazy parallel Abenobashis that Sasshi and Arumi wind up in trying to either help or deter the attempts of the children when they are trying to get back to their normal reality. In each world, she admits to always be searching for a man named Eutus. Unknown to Sasshi, this woman has a closer relationship to him that is connected to the various Abenobashis he and Arumi are traveling through. Here's Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi's Mune Mune.

The chief engineer for the Vandread, this goofy-looking woman is one of the few women to willingly accept the men when they are first taken hostage. She is mostly seen monitoring the ship's engines and partnering up with ship doctor Duelo as they share a common patient in the ship's main engine, the Paeksys. She and Duelo become increasingly attracted to one another as their show progresses. Here's Vandread's Parfet Balblair.

This oversexed middle school homeroom teacher isn't necessarily a model teacher considering her freeloading attitude, willingness to causally drink, dressing in very revealing attire at some points and attempting at trying to have her way with main series hero Suguru Misato. Fortunately, Mahoro is always around to keep this 25-year old teacher from trying to go too far with her advances on Suguru. Here's Mahoromatic's Saori Shikijou.

An obsessive bookworm, this woman was fired from the National Central Library in Central City for spending more of her time reading books than doing her job. She is sought out by the Elric brothers during the series for information regarding the research journal of Tim Marcoh. Despite not having the journal on her as it was destroyed by the military years earlier, this woman's photographic memory was able to memorize all the contents to it. Because of this, Edward was able to recommend her to a desk job in the military's records department under the direction of Maes Hughes. Following the demise of Hughes, this woman starts her own investigation concerning a potential cover-up by the military regarding certain details that led to Hughes' death. Here's Full Metal Alchemist's Sheska.

A member of the Lillian High School's photography club, this camera-savvy girl is in the same year as Yamiyuri Council member Yumi Fukusawa and often helps out the school's newspaper club. Always digging around for the latest gossip throughout the school with her camera at the ready, this girl is around at most times to provide Yumi details on any circulating gossip concerning her or any other members of the Yamiyuri Council. Here's Maria-sama ga Miteru's Tsutako Takeshima.

One of the older girls in Shima's class aboard the space station Stellvia, this girl had returned to serve in the space station's training program after suffering a life-threatening accident two years earlier. The accident, in particular though, was intentional and involved a duel of spaceships between her and top-ranking student Ayaka Machida who tried getting rid of her because she was seen as a threat to Ayaka for her success in Stellvia's training program. Realizing that Ayaka was feeling threatened at the talents of Shima, this girl does what she can to prevent the same problems that Ayaka inflicted upon her. Here's Stellvia of the Universe's Yayoi Fujisawa.

SPARTAN 119, Roberta's already been seconded. Since two Black Lagoon characters have been seconded for the tourney, I'm not allowing any more nominations for Black Lagoon characters.

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 12:54

Seconding:

Evangelion 2.0: You Can Not Advances's Mari Illustrious Makinami

Kamichu's Mitsue Shijo

Full Metal Alchemist's Sheska

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 13:34

Seconding:

Haibane Renmei's Hikari

Martian Successor Nadesico's Hikaru Amano

Vandread's Parfet
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 18:24

Seconding Fruits Basket's Kuramae Mine.

Could someone make a list of who hasn't been seconded? Some may have not been simple because they were thought to have already been or they were missed in the long list.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 on Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 18:46

Here's the current list of nominees who have yet to be seconded. And for those not paying attention to the top, I have 6 spaces left for the tournament.

1. Vanessa Laid (Super Dimensional Fortress Macross)
2. Becky Farrah (Gunsmith Cats)
3. Neneko (DearS)
4. Harumi Fujiyoshi (Sayonnara, Zetsubou-Sensei)
5. Igusa (Inukami)
6. Rei Tachibana (Pani Poni Dash!)
7. Miyako Uehara (Pani Poni Dash!)
8. Behoimi (Pani Poni Dash!)
9. Yukino Kikukawa (My-Hime)
10. Anthy Himemiya (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
11. Nenene Sumiregawa (Read or Die)
12. Ryuubi Gentoku (Ikki Tousen)
13. Komoe Harumachi (Eiken)
14. Sensei (Eiken)
15. Fuu Hououji (Magical Knight Rayearth)
16. Korhan Li (Sakura Wars)
17. Mizuho Kazami (Onegai Teacher)
18. Naoko Yanagisawa (Card Captor Sakura)
19. Chie Harada (My-Hime)
20. Taeko Minazuki (Ai Yori Aoshi)
21. Chiaki Komatsu (Niea_7)
22. Chisa Yomoda (Serial Experiments Lain)
23. Mune Mune (Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi)
24. Saori Shikijou (Mahoromatic)
25. Tsutako Takeshima (Maria-sama ga Miteru)
26. Yayoi Fujisawa (Stellvia of the Universe)

Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X on Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 19:21

By day, she's a blue-haired, curry obsessed, glasses clad senior high school student. By night, she loses the glasses and becomes a triple-knife-wielding top-ranked vampire hunter for the Church. Mix in a loli familiar that becomes a giant spike gun, crazy tattoos and a love-hate relationship with the ditzy blonde True Ancestor of vampires and you've got Ciel of Tsukihime.

Now with 800% more swords.

This is a gun.

Last edited by Five_X on Sun 22 Aug 2010 - 0:38; edited 1 time in total

Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu on Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 22:10

Yay! A list!

I second Ciel.
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by windfish55 on Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 22:23

Seconding Anthy Himemiya.

"Can I just submit that everyone in this thread is wrong about everything no matter what? Seriously, there is no such thing as anything, ever. So stop arguing."
-Anonymous
windfish55

Male

Forum Posts : 145

Fan of : Shonen Knife

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next