Kaleidoscope

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kaleidoscope

Post by Synasta on Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 13:41

Apologies if this has been discussed before already, forum search turned up nothing for me. The kaleidoscope that Jose gave to Henrietta, is the author implying anything or hinting at the relationship between the two? Or is it just some plot device to show Henrietta's growing feelings for Jose?

Synasta

Male

Forum Posts : 6

Location : Singapore

Fan of : Rico

Registration date : 2010-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 13:44

I expect it was more to show how Henrietta felt about Jose, since when she read the dedication, she assumed Jose bought it for a girlfriend that she did not know about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
avatar
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10890

Location : Seattle / Tokyo / Milan

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 18:35

Both. He gave Henrietta the Kaleidoscope as a present for her good work and training. It was a plot device to show how Henrietta's emotions are tied to Jose and gets jealous at the slightest notion of him going out with a woman.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
avatar
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5676

Location : NYC NY, USA

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by Alfisti on Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 20:49

I'm going to agree with Elfen on this one, it's a little from "column a" and little from "column b". It was a gift for good work and so on, but from memory, I got the impression that Jose made a point of bringing 'Etta something back if he went away for an extended period. From there its a good marker of what their relationship (and in particular, how Jose's handling it) is near the start of the series as compared to Jose's actions later in the manga. In the case of the kaleidoscope he's still the loving, caring big brother, though starting to show the first signs of wear going by his conversation with Hilshire. By the end he's completely worn down by 'Etta's neediness.

In 'Etta's case I think it was a good way of showing her jelous side. Both in her reaction to finding another woman's name on the kaleidoscope as well as her reaction later on when Rico broke it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
avatar
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5739

Location : A Town by the Sea, NSW Central Coast, Australia

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by Robert Frazer on Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 21:51

The fact that it was an antique kaleidoscope as opposed to, say, a Barbie doll was most likely to also emphasise the high-culture aspects of the Agency - the highbrow literary referencing isn't something you'd typically find in your local base's barrack-block, or adolescent girl's bedroom for that matter. It would also have the useful metatextual advantage of letting Yu polish his seinen credentials, with a bit of sophisticated trivia for his readers to nonchalantly drop into conversation at their next dinner party...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


PASSION LIVES HERE
************
Prose Stories
avatar
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Location : The Green and Pleasant Land

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by Alfisti on Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 4:22

@Robert Frazer wrote:The fact that it was an antique kaleidoscope as opposed to, say, a Barbie doll was most likely to also emphasise the high-culture aspects of the Agency - the highbrow literary referencing isn't something you'd typically find in your local base's barrack-block, or adolescent girl's bedroom for that matter.
I think in many ways the kaleidoscope fits in well with the posessions the girls have. There's not a lot of "childish" things in the agency dorms. Claes reads Tosca, Henrietta is given a camera but its more a professional style than what you'd normally give to a child (and film to boot). Yes Triela collects teddybears, but she does it more in the manner that an adult would than a child does. Yes the girls still act like children, but their pursuits are staid and in a way elegant. It's childhood as crafted by adults rather than childhood as lived by children, which of course fits in neatly with the themes of GSG anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
avatar
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5739

Location : A Town by the Sea, NSW Central Coast, Australia

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by Professor Voodoo on Sat 16 Oct 2010 - 6:26

@Alfisti wrote: I think in many ways the kaleidoscope fits in well with the posessions the girls have. There's not a lot of "childish" things in the agency dorms. Claes reads Tosca, Henrietta is given a camera but its more a professional style than what you'd normally give to a child (and film to boot). Yes Triela collects teddybears, but she does it more in the manner that an adult would than a child does. Yes the girls still act like children, but their pursuits are staid and in a way elegant. It's childhood as crafted by adults rather than childhood as lived by children, which of course fits in neatly with the themes of GSG anyway.
Jeeze, that's one of the best summations of GsG themes I've read (and this guy claims he works in the comic medium because he "can't write"). To re-enforce your point; look at Henrietta & Angelica's attire. When was the last time you saw an 11 year old wearing knee socks, a pleated skirt and a sailor collar?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I saw a werewolf drinking a Pia Colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
avatar
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3422

Location : Hudson Valley, New York

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by Danjo3 on Sat 16 Oct 2010 - 7:30

@Professor Voodoo wrote:
@Alfisti wrote: I think in many ways the kaleidoscope fits in well with the posessions the girls have. There's not a lot of "childish" things in the agency dorms. Claes reads Tosca, Henrietta is given a camera but its more a professional style than what you'd normally give to a child (and film to boot). Yes Triela collects teddybears, but she does it more in the manner that an adult would than a child does. Yes the girls still act like children, but their pursuits are staid and in a way elegant. It's childhood as crafted by adults rather than childhood as lived by children, which of course fits in neatly with the themes of GSG anyway.
Jeeze, that's one of the best summations of GsG themes I've read.
Ill second that. Well put Alfisti.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I dont hate him specifically, its the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.
avatar
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by Nachtsider on Sat 16 Oct 2010 - 7:36

One has to wonder whether this faux-childhood and its trappings are in themselves a form of conditioning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------





There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
avatar
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Location : Inside your closet. In your head.

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by Alfisti on Sat 16 Oct 2010 - 8:41

I think they could well be. The girls live, if not so much sheltered then at least isolated lives. As a result, to a greater or lesser extent, they probably are unaware that their "childhoods" are in any way unusual, at least in so far as they don't have the internet, computers, Xboxs and all the other assorted trappings of modern childhood. The obvious exception here being Triela, who tends to get out a bit more around people her own age (without shooting them) and, suprise suprise, is the "rebellious" one of the canon cyborgs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
avatar
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5739

Location : A Town by the Sea, NSW Central Coast, Australia

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 16 Oct 2010 - 8:45

But even then, I expect Triela has little knowledge of what a "normal" 14-year old Italian girl's life is.

I expect living with Mimi was a major shock. Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
avatar
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10890

Location : Seattle / Tokyo / Milan

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by Alfisti on Sat 16 Oct 2010 - 8:56

@Kiskaloo wrote:But even then, I expect Triela has little knowledge of what a "normal" 14-year old Italian girl's life is.

I expect living with Mimi was a major shock. Wink
Oh no doubt (which was kind of the instance I was referenceing but anyway Razz ). However compared to the other girls in the dorm she's probably the most socially well adjusted... not difficult mind you but these things need to be taken in context.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
avatar
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5739

Location : A Town by the Sea, NSW Central Coast, Australia

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaleidoscope

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum