Dubs & Subs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dubs & Subs

Post by Danjo3 on Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 1:56

As Ive said before, my biggest problem with Il Teatrino has always been how the characters personalities were portrayed way to cutesy and upbeat. If that were fixed, I could almost live with the crappy animation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont hate him specifically, its the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela on Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 2:00

Danjo3 wrote:As Ive said before, my biggest problem with Il Teatrino has always been how the characters personalities were portrayed way to cutesy and upbeat. If that were fixed, I could almost live with the crappy animation.

Same. However it's amazing what a good dub can do! :3

AWWWWW YEAHHHH
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2723

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 2:13

Triela wrote:However it's amazing what a good dub can do! :3
Amazing indeed. The English dub was a 100% improvement over the Japanese voice work. It was one of the few things that made it watchable.

I dont hate him specifically, its the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 10:41

I'll have to try the dub one of these days.

Normally whatever format I start a show in, be it sub or dub, is the one I stick with going forward because I am used to the voice cast (be they Japanese or English), but GSG is the only show I started as a dub, but ended up watching as a sub, mainly because I started with the dubbed Episode 2 on the Action Channel and then rented the first DVD before next week's episode and when I start a Japanese anime where a sub is available, I default to the Japanese voice track and subs.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 10:53

I find that it works differently depending on if I started with the dub or the sub. Generally if I start on a dub, then I have little trouble going to a sub (GSG, oddly, being the exception to the rule). However, if I start on a sub then I generally don't like the dub.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5757

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 11:50

Alfisti wrote:Generally if I start on a dub, then I have little trouble going to a sub. However, if I start on a sub then I generally don't like the dub.

In general, I would agree with this, as well. For shows like Tenchi Muyo! and Ghost in the Shell SAC, I watched a significant majority of it dubbed in English and I think the voices are perfect for the characters. So when I try and watch them in Japanese, it just sounds...bad...and I switch back to English.

But if I started in Japanese, then generally no matter how good the English cast is, I prefer the original Japanese seiyuu. I just fired up Episode 01 of the first Gunslinger Girl anime and even though Laura Bailey's Henrietta portrayed a young, shy girl very well, I just think Yuuka Nanri's voice is better.

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 13:55

Alfisti wrote:However, if I start on a sub then I generally don't like the dub.
That defiantly wont be the case here. The Japanese vision sucks. Go with the dub and you wont become a complete season 2 hater. Trust me.

Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 20:29

Danjo3 wrote:
Alfisti wrote:However, if I start on a sub then I generally don't like the dub.
That defiantly wont be the case here. The Japanese vision sucks. Go with the dub and you wont become a complete season 2 hater. Trust me.
Oh I agree... that's why I said GSG was the exception to the rule. To be honest I haven't actually watched the dub of season 2 (though the DVDs are there), but the sub I found very difficult to deal with.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5757

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 1:57

I love reminding sub > dub purists that Japanese VAs aren't gods. Shitty Japanese voice acting DOES exist, and many Japanese acquaintances of mine tend to agree.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by windfish55 on Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 3:58

Nachtsider wrote:I love reminding sub > dub purists that Japanese VAs aren't gods. Shitty Japanese voice acting DOES exist, and many Japanese acquaintances of mine tend to agree.
That's true, but I think I've been scarred more by bad dubs than bad subs. Also, I prefer to see foreign TV/movies as close to the original version as I can. In the end, tho, sub vs. dub is up to you to decide for yourself.

"Can I just submit that everyone in this thread is wrong about everything no matter what? Seriously, there is no such thing as anything, ever. So stop arguing."
-Anonymous
windfish55

Male

Forum Posts : 145

Fan of : Shonen Knife

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 11:46

Nachtsider wrote:I love reminding sub > dub purists that Japanese VAs aren't gods. Shitty Japanese voice acting DOES exist, and many Japanese acquaintances of mine tend to agree.

Sure, but at least in my case, the initial voices I hear, be they Japanese or English, are the ones that "imprint" on my mind and any different voices tend to come across as, if not "bad", as "wrong".

As an example, I will use Ponyo. Disney always pulls out the stops and hires the finest actors and actresses in Hollywood to do the voices for the Studio Ghibli films and they went all A-List for this movie. But I saw it in the theater in Japan and the Japanese voices are the ones that sound "right" to me, even though I imagine all those seiyuu suck compared to the Hollywood cast.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum on Sat 16 Oct 2010 - 6:11

Kiskaloo wrote:
Sure, but at least in my case, the initial voices I hear, be they Japanese or English, are the ones that "imprint" on my mind and any different voices tend to come across as, if not "bad", as "wrong".

My exemple of this is with south park and the simpsons , I watch both in french even if I speak english.

What I find interesting is that in the french anime community there's a sub vs dub debate just like in the english community, but watching the french dub of american cartoons is perfectly ok,there's absolutly no drama.
The same people that refuse to watch a french dub of an anime might have never seen an episode of south park, futurama or a walt disney movie in english

"The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise."Alden Nowlan
"Happy is the one who's able to laugh at himself:he's sure to be entertained for a long time"

Totoum

Male

Forum Posts : 480

Fan of : claes

Registration date : 2007-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by windfish55 on Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 16:38

Totoum wrote:...in the french anime community there's a sub vs dub debate just like in the english community, but watching the french dub of american cartoons is perfectly ok,there's absolutly no drama.
The same people that refuse to watch a french dub of an anime might have never seen an episode of south park, futurama or a walt disney movie in english
That's interesting. Here in the States, Many anime fans view anime as something distinct and different from other cartoons, foreign or domestic. Is that the case in France? Or in other parts of the world?
It's also worth considering that French and English have more in common with each other than either language has with Japanese. Perhaps a dub English-French is considered to be inherently more accurate than a dub from Japanese.

"Can I just submit that everyone in this thread is wrong about everything no matter what? Seriously, there is no such thing as anything, ever. So stop arguing."
-Anonymous
windfish55

Male

Forum Posts : 145

Fan of : Shonen Knife

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Dubs & Subs

Post by Totoum on Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 19:39

windfish55 wrote:Perhaps a dub English-French is considered to be inherently more accurate than a dub from Japanese.

Thinking about it some more,it seems it's more of what kisk talked about,you preffer what you heard first.

Because I started remembering that people in france don't have a problem watching dubs of old animes like DBZ,captain harlock,captain future,captain tsubasa (lol that's a lot of "captains"),mysterious cities of gold,cobra,samurai pizza cats etc because they watched the dubs on tv (just like they watched american shows on tv) ,it's only when fansubs came along that the debate started.

The one big exception is "Hokuto no Ken": the french VAs hated the show and decided to make the dub a parody,some like it,some hate it.
Oh and everyone agrees that the french OP to sailor moon is really shitty , i remember moving to the US and seeing the american OP for the first time and thinking "I didn't know sailor moon could be badass"

and yeah,beethoven's 9th is a bit far away now,but oh well...

edit: well it seems we won't have to worry about being off topic anymore lol

"The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise."Alden Nowlan
"Happy is the one who's able to laugh at himself:he's sure to be entertained for a long time"

Totoum

Male

Forum Posts : 480

Fan of : claes

Registration date : 2007-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: