What aspects of GSG do you enjoy the most

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What aspects of GSG do you enjoy the most

Post by KEN_giovanni on Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 1:42

Well for one I adore the art style, fairly crisp and clean cut, yet I always loved the story an how absolutley wonderful it was, and ofcourse there are the guns, and I'm a gun nut myself so I cnt really choose. So what do you like about GSG

KEN_giovanni

Male

Forum Posts : 58

Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Re: What aspects of GSG do you enjoy the most

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 2:17

The novel concept, and the way said concept is executed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KEN_giovanni on Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 2:19

Do elaborate good sir

KEN_giovanni

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 2:39

Very well, my friend.

The idea of a black-ops agency using mentally conditioned, cybernetically-enhanced children to do their government's dirty work is an interesting path that no other anime or manga series prior to GSG has explored. In the hands of a second-rate author, artist and animation studio, though, the concept might have spawned something best consigned to oblivion after being critically and commercially panned. But GSG has fleshed said idea out with thought-provoking scenarios acted out by a cast of (with few exceptions) believable, compelling characters, all brought to life with decent art and great (well, for Season One, at least) animation. So, it's tops in my book.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by KEN_giovanni on Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 2:42

I see and I also thank you for responding fairly respectfully, I do have to agree with you on the animation but, season 2 looked terrible compared to season 1

KEN_giovanni

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 6:07

That's precisely what I said, albeit more subtly. Wink

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 8:42

To expand a little on what Nacht said: for me what stood out the most for me with GSG was that it took a genre that's been used a few times in anime and has produced some very average entertainment, ie. "little girl, big gun" and approached it in a way that made me actually care.

To me at least GSG's strongest element is its characters. Don't get me wrong: I love the Italian setting, the action moments, the nicely rendered weapons and vehicles (talking manga and first series now I think), but it was the characters that drew me in. Handlers and cyborgs, staff and Padania... the whole lot of them and how they deal with being in the situation they are.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5765

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by KEN_giovanni on Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 11:12

That too I can agree with, this whole predicament just makes things much more fun

KEN_giovanni

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 9:22

For me it's got to be the dichotomy between great power and great vulnerability.

Taken on one level the cyborg characters fit the role of superheroes; extrordinary powers, secret identity, a mandate to protect society. Unlike other superhero characters though, none of these girls have a option, or even a say in their own destiny. Not one of them ever made the choice to become what they are...they woke up one day, got handed a gun and told "this is what's required of you."

As Alfisti said, the action & exotic elements are great, but for me it's the quiet inter-personal moments that I look forward to most...both in canon & fanfiction. It's here that we see what truly dwells inside the living weapons.

I saw a werewolf drinking a Piña Colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3422

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 10:14

I think one of the aspects that I enjoy the most about the story is the dichotomy that exists in the girls and their actions. In one scene Henrietta is acting like a typical young child, yes in the next one she is tearing through terrorists like nothing is wrong. Its this naivete that the girls seem to retain about their situation to a certain degree where they can move between young girl and hardened killer that I find very interesting. Another example of this is the interaction between Rico and Emilio in season 1 where Rico does not know how to interact with him just like a young girl might have around a boy she first meets. However she finaly remembers what to do and shoots him with out a second thought.
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 14:31

Most of what hooked me has already been said so I will just make a point of saying that I loved the fresh angle the story took on the girls inhumanity.

At first I expected several scenes of "boo-hoo what am I? I'm not even human!" or "Why can't I remember my past? I want to remember!", but none of the girls are affected by this. They all accept their fate with a few exceptions for "What do you want me to be?" which is in and of itself a heart puncher.

Jet: "Betrayal may come easily to women, but men live by iron codes of honor."
Faye: "You really believe that?"
Jet: "I'm trying to. Real hard."
theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 15:58

@theprodigalson wrote:At first I expected several scenes of "boo-hoo what am I? I'm not even human!" or "Why can't I remember my past? I want to remember!", but none of the girls are affected by this. They all accept their fate with a few exceptions for "What do you want me to be?" which is in and of itself a heart puncher.
There are a few scenes where the cyborgs consider such issues...

...Henrietta's near freak-out in Sicily for example.

And I suspect Filippo Adani's question in the Uffizi gallery threw Rico for a self-reflective loop.

Still, as you said these moments are few and far between...which makes them all the more poignant.

Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 20:28

@theprodigalson wrote:"What do you want me to be?"
In some ways I think this is even more of a gut-punch than "I'm not even human" or "I can't remember my past". It's one thing to not have a past, but entirely another to be so lost as to not preceive a future.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5765

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 21:02

@Professor Voodoo wrote: There are a few scenes where the cyborgs consider such issues...

I always got the impression here that Henrietta was acting on what she thought Jose wanted her to do. His taking up her weapons and telling her "That's not what ordinary girls would have." is what spawned that little freak-out, not her own need to be human.

The difference is pretty subtle I suppose, but it always stuck out to me.

Jet: "Betrayal may come easily to women, but men live by iron codes of honor."
Faye: "You really believe that?"
Jet: "I'm trying to. Real hard."
theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 21:14

@theprodigalson wrote:
@Professor Voodoo wrote: There are a few scenes where the cyborgs consider such issues...

I always got the impression here that Henrietta was acting on what she thought Jose wanted her to do. His taking up her weapons and telling her "That's not what ordinary girls would have." is what spawned that little freak-out, not her own need to be human.

The difference is pretty subtle I suppose, but it always stuck out to me.

i never thought of it like that but if you do read the scene that way Henrietta is a lot more cunning and devious than we give her credit for
crazyidiot78

Male

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 21:27

@crazyidiot78 wrote: i never thought of it like that but if you do read the scene that way Henrietta is a lot more cunning and devious than we give her credit for
Oh I've considered her one of the sneakiest characters in the whole series since day one. One of the things that hooked me on the first season anime was her cunning move at the shooting range in episode 9.

The girls are at the outdoor shooting range...Henrietta is doing well, hitting all her targets. Giuse walks up, but in a shocking breach of handler-cyborg protcol he asks Angelica how she is doing before Henrietta! 'Etta looks on jealously, and when she returns to shooting she begins missing her marks intentionally...drawing Giuse's attention back to her (there are alternate interpretations...but this is the one that looks most likely to me). It works; Giuseppe unwittingly rewards Henrietta's sneaky ploy by spending more time with her.

That gets me thinking...added to my list of things I enjoy about GsG; the fact that so many scenes can be interpreted in different ways!

Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 21:48

I always thought it more likely that Giuseppe paying Angie more attention was distracting Henrietta enough to make her screw up. Occam's Razor, y'know.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 22:35

@Nachtsider wrote:I always thought it more likely that Giuseppe paying Angie more attention was distracting Henrietta enough to make her screw up. Occam's Razor, y'know.

Occam's razor- now that term takes me back to my college days.
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 22:49

@Nachtsider wrote:Occam's Razor, y'know.
It's an equally likely explanation, I won't argue that; but Occam's Razor implies that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one...and since when has GsG ever been simple? We like it because it's complex!

Put another way; I don't think Occam's Razor applies to fiction. If anything, in ficticious works the more complex explanation is usually the valid one.

Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Sun 6 Feb 2011 - 2:37

I first got into Gunslinger Girl because little girls with big guns is inherently cute.

I kept up with it and it quickly became one of my favorites because it invoked a feeling of paternalistic protectiveness. It was well written enough that you could start to really feel for them rather then see them just as tools and dolls...and their treatment in the respect probably helped spawn that feeling. Also, the fact that they were not sexualized was a pleasant change form the usual crud out there in manga/anime.
MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela on Sun 6 Feb 2011 - 3:37

@MadHatChemist wrote: Also, the fact that they were not sexualized was a pleasant change form the usual crud out there in manga/anime.

Petrushka. That remark went out the window. XD

Anyway... I think my favorite aspect of GSG are the characters. And the fact that it's such an original story. :3

AWWWWW YEAHHHH
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2723

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sun 6 Feb 2011 - 13:12

@Triela wrote:
@MadHatChemist wrote: Also, the fact that they were not sexualized was a pleasant change form the usual crud out there in manga/anime.
Yes Ma’am. The one flaw in another wise perfect story.

I think more then anything it’s the guilt that Jose and Hillshire feel about what they are doing to their girls. It’s a human thing that you rarely see in this type of genre.

“I don’t hate him specifically, it’s the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.”
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Mon 7 Feb 2011 - 0:57

@Triela wrote:

Anyway... I think my favorite aspect of GSG are the characters. And the fact that it's such an original story. :3

I'm going to have to disagree. I've always felt that Petrushka was perhaps used and trained to use sex as a tool of the trade, and not sexualized as a character. She was not turned into a nympho or used as the cheesecake fanservice character, and her training was came across as almost going through the motions -- and the fact that she seems to retain a certain innocence precludes her as a character being sexualized in the sterotypical "anime/manga" way.

I've only read what has been translated, so there certainly could have been something in the later chapters.
MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 7 Feb 2011 - 5:00

@MadHatChemist wrote:[I've only read what has been translated, so there certainly could have been something in the later chapters.

There isn't that I can find (there is an odd line in Chapter 65 of the tankobon that was never translated as the scanlations use the monthly releases), but Haters gonna hate. Smile

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10900

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 on Tue 8 Feb 2011 - 23:01

Detail detail detail...

Yu puts a lot of detail into the manga, and as an example, I submit to you the frame in Vol2: Pg 51, frame 2, of Henrietta storming the Padania stronghold on the river (the one that Franco and Franca barely missed getting caught in).
On the bottom of her P90 is a brass catcher.

Glocks are not the shit. Glocks can fail the same as any other gun. I've seen it personally, and have even heard first-hand accounts of something as basic as a slide-retaining pin snapping, the slide flying off. Get over the obsession and buy what fits your hand, your wallet, and ability.
maverick375

Male

Forum Posts : 823

Fan of : manga

Original Characters : Jamie

Comments : GUNS!!!! MUWAHAHA

Oh, and swords. Swords are kewl too.

Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Tue 8 Feb 2011 - 23:30

@maverick375 wrote:
Yu puts a lot of detail into the manga, and as an example, I submit to you the frame in Vol2: Pg 51, frame 2, of Henrietta storming the Padania stronghold on the river (the one that Franco and Franca barely missed getting caught in).
On the bottom of her P90 is a brass catcher.
Well, Giuse does suggest they install one back in Chapter 2...
...and sure enough it shows up!

Excellent catch Maverick!

Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndist on Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 6:32

My country is a communist country

We join the First World War with France as a colonial

We chased the Japanese fascists (Some Japanese soldiers join VIETMINH and fought alongside us)

We destroy a base be considered is undefeated in 1954 : Điện biên phủ

France forced to sign a peace treaty recognizing Vietnam is an independent nation

We fought with the U.S. for twenty years and forced them to flee from Vietnam

We have so many enemies. The people we once considered brothers, friends turned against us. (border war with China in 1979, the war against the Khmer Rouge)

Now we have to fight terrorism - remnant of the old regime. Those who want to destroy what we built in thirty years of peace (If any of you live near Little Saigon.California-you'll see them)

War is what I know. I smell and I lived together for years. Things that make me feel scared myself

But in this manga. The girl that makes me embarrassed. They accept fate and do not require.

They live with a belief in what they have to believe (whether it be a lie)

They are like angels. I'm willing to forgive them, protect them and fight alongside them because I believe I can help change their lives

The scenes in the manga make me feel that it resembles real life

They also know how to love, knows sad, knowing jealousy

They made me see that in this world there are still things worth fighting for: It is not national, not ideology or anything higher to

It is Rico's smile, The tears of Henrietta. Two braids of Triela and smiles of the others in this world - It is really something worth fighting for
Lyndist

Male

Forum Posts : 435

Fan of : Yu Aida

Original Characters : Phong Linh . Silvya SilverFox

Comments : I'm back

Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down