And I concieve thee as........

View previous topic View next topic Go down

And I concieve thee as........

Post by KEN_giovanni on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 21:06

[u]My very first OC! And fellas I need some help! I've done my research and I've studied my lessons so I'm well prepeared I just need a guiding hand, so to speak.
Her personality is not what is troubling me it is her name!

So let me give you guys some back drop. My girl is a former opera singer from the good US of A, by the age of 14 she had honed her voice as much as her anatomy allowed her to, and by 15 was a fully fledged soprano. But the good die young, her mother was killed In Action whilst serving in the middle east, her father stricken by grief, cooked an extravagent feast t honor his fallen bride, and for dessert, something that had a faint scent of almonds. As the potassium cyanide took the life of her father for some reason she resisted the poison, maybe out of will to live on, her motives were erased with the conditioning process. Luckily fate had intervened a neighbor who witnessed the entire ordeal (for reasons better known to him) called the authorities. And from there she was treated in Italy. Before this whole mess she was a sweet and caring person, always respectful and very articulate as well. Her name was Amanda, it means easily loved or lovable

so gentlemen here is where you come in, I'd like name suggestions please! Give life to this poor, poor young lady

KEN_giovanni

Male

Forum Posts : 58

Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Re: And I concieve thee as........

Post by Professor Voodoo on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 21:42

Amazingly, this is one of the most difficult elements of character building. There's a lot of pressure...if you don't like the name you've given your girl she's kinda stuck with it.

Are you looking for a traditionally feminine name or a male name like Rico, Claes & Petrushka have?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw a werewolf drinking a Piña Colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3422

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by KEN_giovanni on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 21:43

I'd prefer a feminine name, but I'll take any suggestions you have

KEN_giovanni

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 22:04

Here's a link to a long list of Italian names, but she's originally American...might her handler chose something that reflects that?

Another suggestion; the handler could give his cyborg a name relevant to the things he likes.
Examples;
If he's a fan of space-flight; Valentina Tereshkova was the first woman in space.
If he's a motorcycle fan, Katja Poensgen & Elena Myers are both famous racers.
If he's a chef, Julia Childs. You get the idea.

You could also chose something relevant to her specialty. My OC is a diver, so Marisa was an easy choice since its Latin root refers to the sea.
It might be a good option to check out Elfen Magix's wiki to see what names have already been used. While nobody has the right to "copyright" a name, it just makes things easier here on the forum if we're not getting cyborgs mixed up.

One last option; if the name is giving you trouble, skip it for now, create some backstory and the name might just become obvious.

I saw a werewolf drinking a Piña Colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3422

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 22:06

This thread reminds me of something I forgot to mention in the 'How does one create an OC' thread.

Why are there so many people from Britain, America, Japan, et cetera, in the Agency? I'd confine OC ethnicities/nationalities to continental Europe, at least for SWA personnel.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KEN_giovanni on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 22:09

True true, but I do believe at this alternate timeline of gsg Italy has more advanced medicine than the US. Plus there is a name out there which I conviently forgot that means American born european blood

KEN_giovanni

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 22:32

I suppose the 'medically advanced Italy' thing might hold true in this timeline, yeah. The only problem with said notion is all these foreigners going to Italy for treatment and not coming home. It might make authorities in their homelands smell a giant rat. Unless, of course, the SWA plucks fruit from the tree very sparingly, or said foreign authorities are in cahoots with them.

The neighbor thing is a little iffy with me, to be honest. Instead of having him save Amanda, I would've gone with her being whisked to Italy from her American hospital bed by her future handler or at least some other SWA agent, who was in the vicinity while conducting an unrelated mission for the Agency (perhaps investigating Italian terrorist connections on U.S. soil).

I've also got a problem with the cyanide. Because you generally can't survive ingesting cyanide, even if the dose is small. I'd recommend running with some other toxin instead.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by KEN_giovanni on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 22:34

Interesting, cyanide is an insta kill. Bakc to the drawing board I guess, wonderful ideas tho

KEN_giovanni

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KEN_giovanni on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 22:40

Oh and the neighbor wasn't her handler he was just there visiting, I should have made it clear, her handler is Italian whilst being treated in Italy the swa was on a patient sweep. Oh and why about Petra she came to Italy and never returned home. So maybe it's atleast
plausible

KEN_giovanni

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KEN_giovanni on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 22:41

Again I apologize for the spelling error the iPhone is not an ideal platform

KEN_giovanni

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 22:48

I know he's Italian. I just had him stumble upon her in an American hospital while performing a mission in America. You needn't go with my suggestion; just whatever's plausible. But yes, I think you have a touche there, bringing up Petra. Sure like to know what explanation the SWA gave the Russians, or perhaps how much they paid. The fact that she didn't leap to my mind just goes to show how much I think of her. Razz

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Wed 9 Feb 2011 - 23:00

@Nachtsider wrote:Why are there so many people from Britain, America, Japan, et cetera, in the Agency? I'd confine OC ethnicities/nationalities to continental Europe, at least for SWA personnel.

I suppose Claes, Triela and Petrushka started a trend. Smile

In my case, Kara is mixed-race - French father and Japanese mother - but she spent most of her life in France.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10884

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by KEN_giovanni on Thu 10 Feb 2011 - 1:16

I wonder what excuse the Italians gave the Russian government as well

KEN_giovanni

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Thu 10 Feb 2011 - 2:28

@Nachtsider wrote: The only problem with said notion is all these foreigners going to Italy for treatment and not coming home.
Britney’s a pretty good example of this kind of thing. She’s practically famous in the U.S. but everyone, including her Corporation, doesn’t seem all that concerned about her situation.

In Los Angeles, Brit is being accosted by the press:

Reporter: Miss Kensington! Miss Kensington! You’re one of the richest people in America, yet you live in some obscure Italian orphanage. How do you explain that?

Britney: It’s easy to explain. I’m just… that is I kind of… you see I’m really…

Britney suddenly points over the reporters shoulders.

Britney: LOOK! IT'S LINDSAY LOHAN!

As they all spin around, Britney hops in her limo and makes a quick getaway.

“I don’t hate him specifically, it’s the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.”
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 10 Feb 2011 - 3:08

Danjo - gotta love Brittany!

@Nachtsider wrote:This thread reminds me of something I forgot to mention in the 'How does one create an OC' thread.

Why are there so many people from Britain, America, Japan, et cetera, in the Agency? I'd confine OC ethnicities/nationalities to continental Europe, at least for SWA personnel.
I hear ya, Nacht. My issues are the creation of the OCs with little or no background. Fine, a character Dossier in the forum thread or OC Wiki is nice, but there is very little in the story supporting it. Also the use of "minimum dosage of the conditioning drug", there is no exact minimum. There is a minimum for that cyborg because of height, weight, conditioning levels needed, levels of loyalty to be obtained, and how much of her was converted into a cyborg? We can say anywhere between 95.3% and 99.2% of the girl could be converted, but this means that her medication to just make her cybernetics work is a bare minimum dose for her and no one else. Too many writers here take too many things for granted and it shows in their work. Excuses about language barriers aside, one does not write a story as "This and that happens and my cyborg wins." Where are the details? Where are the story plots and character developments? Why do you have 5000 OCs and not using them? Why are you constantly changing the story before you even post it? Huh, how did that happen? Cut! Take Two! That was not in the script!

It just takes a little discipline and organization to put together a story, but it is relatively easy when you stay within the lines your OCs built. I have seen much great works here, but at the same time I have seen stuff I would not feed to Meeshie.

So, I'm throwing my shoes and hat into the ring.... Evil

With the Fernando/Rachel The SWA was in New York and dragged them in. Plus having an Intelligence background, they choose Fernando for what he was worth, and it he turned out to be so awful, they could always send him on suicide mission and hope he does not come back. They dragged Juanita and Kathy because a) they thought Fernando was lonely (and would love to see which one he would screw first) b) they were his intelligence agents teammates and c) they volunteered for the job.

At least with this crew, I put a solid background story and supported with references and history as much as possible, though Solution's Resolution may have suffered from it. Unlike so may OCs that I have read and seen, where the author yells out, "Its Just So! Take It As It IS!" and has a flimsy background and character development. At least My OCs (and many others here) can stand on their own.

Francesca is a totally different animal. She was brought was brought in to the SWA trying to find a cure for what was killing her. Being Spaniard, that eliminated an Italian handler, even if he knew Spanish. Thus Felix was created just for her, and like Fernando, he was former intelligence. He leaves Spain because Spain does not want to deal with terrorists as he thought they should. Italy proved a better understanding of what he wanted. They both learned (Felix already knew a few languages) Italian. As one of the first cyborgs, everything was experimental with Francesca. Dr. Frankenstein built her to not use conditioning medication but the others thought she needed something. Between Francesca and Alpha, something was created which leads to the current conditioning medication. The rest is history, including their demise and Francesca's recovery and rebuild. Both Felix and Francesca can stand on their own as well. Hell! Even Kieya stands on her own as she was a mislabeled villain!

That's another thing... Villains! No one here hasn't written a good villain in over a year! Give me a Bad Guy I can actually root for! We aint recycling Franca, Frano, Christiano and Dante for you guys!

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5667

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 10 Feb 2011 - 3:14

@KEN_giovanni wrote:I wonder what excuse the Italians gave the Russian government as well
Olga: I got tired of being paid in bottles of Vodka. So I defected, I meant I switched sides.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 10 Feb 2011 - 3:21

@Professor Voodoo wrote:One last option; if the name is giving you trouble, skip it for now, create some backstory and the name might just become obvious.
Eric... Eric the Red. No? Viking History and Marvel Comics use that name? Man... I swear!

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 10 Feb 2011 - 6:10

@KEN_giovanni wrote:so gentlemen here is where you come in, I'd like name suggestions please! Give life to this poor, poor young lady.
Haha, like Voodoo said: I wouldn't sweat the name too hard. If you can't find anything you like right now, leave it for a bit. Hell, it took me a full three months before I named my OCs. Only once I had a firmer grasp on their roles and personalities did I feel comfortable in finding names that I felt suited them.

As for the masculine vs. feminine issue there's always option "c"... find an androgenous name, or like Monty's, a feminine one that can be shortened to a masculine or andro name.

As to what Nacht and Elfen are talking about, I think that if you're going to recruit from outside continental Europe it pays dividends to have a really solid backstory and justification as to why... even more so than usual.

Interesting sounding character though. As a classically trained singer (tenor though, not soprano) myself, I'm interested where you take her operatic past.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5716

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Sun 13 Feb 2011 - 1:53

Ken_giovanni wrote: 'so gentlemen here is where you come in, I'd like name suggestions please! Give life to this poor, poor young lady'
Hmmmm........ How 'bouts: Maureen (meaning 'the dark'), Terren, Sadie Lavenge, Amber, April, Carol?
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1966

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 13 Feb 2011 - 2:34

Were you looking for a particularly Italianate name?

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5716

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down