Handler Debrief

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Handler Debrief

Post by PolosElite23 on Tue 11 Jun 2013 - 23:34

Here’s Josh’s Interview, Jason’s be out tomorrow.

1. Hello, can you tell us your name and a little about your role in Section 2? How did you wind up here?

Joshua Murphy, Ex-United States Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta member. I fold in on several roles. First being a handler to my cyborg, meaning her training, performance, health, and well-being are my responsibility. Secondly, my time in SFOD-D leaves me one of the most experienced people here, in terms of special operations and skills. So, I’m generally called upon to assist in training other cyborgs and handlers in weapons, tactics, and anything else mission related. I also act as a tactical consultant when needed.

I ended up here after bumping into Jean after a prospective job fell through. Me and my brother had known Jean from an Op in the Balkans where we saved his unit’s arses *laughs*. He knew we were good and got us a job as a handler, although we figured we’d be doing the same things we had been. We didn’t count on cybernetic Children.

2. What can you tell us about your cyborg’s conditioning?

Not much, I’m not a scientist. It’s relatively low, and not given as often or as much as the other formula. Being my cyborg has a prototype version, a failed one at that, leaves the problem of its more prominent issues: Lack of concentration, debilitating migraines, numbness in parts of the body from time to time, and some motor problems to name some. Thankfully memory isn’t an issue, although eventual nerve degeneration is. Eventually she will die similarly to how one would die of ALS.

3. Anything about her past?

I don’t know much. The British say she was the daughter of one of their SAS operatives and a French woman. They went to Italy for vacation and got blown up by a Padania car bomb. She and her sister ended up at the SWA and I was assigned her handler. I didn’t pry farther than that, nor do I want or need to, she can’t and won’t remember anything of that sort. She has no memory of her past, its completely gone instead of repressed.

4. How do you feel about your cyborg? What is your relationship with her like?

She’s like a daughter to me. That’s all I’ll comment.

5. What are your favourite kinds of missions?

Any and all. Ones that our side doesn’t get hit or injured are best though.

6. What kind of missions do you dislike?

Ones that our team gets shot up at.

7. How do you like life with the SWA?

It’s not boring to say but the least. It has its rough spots, but its reasonable and slightly enjoyable for the time being.

8. Do you get along with the other SWA staff? Anyone particularly stand out?

Getting along well is a must so I do get along. Petty squabbles and the like are not ideal for high risk operations. As for specific ones, I’d say Victor Hillshire is the one I get along with best. He’s intelligent, quick-witted, treats Triela well, is a good tactician and a good team player.

9. Dining hall: Michelin Star or slop trough?

It’s better than Basic’s Mess Hall food, so it’s somewhere in between.

10. Is there anything that you miss being able to do since joining the SWA?

Being back home. Me and my Brother are slightly homesick. I may work for Italy, but the USA holds my heart.

11. Where would you like to spend your next vacation? Have you been there before?

Back home, I’d love to show Sarah the US someday. The second question is self-explanatory.

12. Triela's teddy bear collection appropriate for a cyborg?

She may be a cyborg, but she still is a teenage girl. She can still do regular girl things. Plus personally I think it’s nice that Hillshire gives her them.

13. Do you have a favorite color?

Why is this a question?

14. Is there anyone, fictional or otherwise, that you admire?

Anyone I’ve served with. I’d also have to say my sister and parents.

15. If you could chose, how would you like to die?

Quick and painless.

PolosElite23

Forum Posts : 914

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Wed 12 Jun 2013 - 15:31

1. Hello, can you tell us your name and a little about your role in Section 2? How did you wind up here?

My name is Jason Murphy, I'm an ex-Delta Force member. My team had botched up a mission in Central America and most of them got killed, minus me, my brother and two others. The damn government there had gotten pictures of our faces and demanded we be handed over to them. Instead, for deniability reasons, they honorably discharged us.

We ended up in Italy after a one trip job over to Europe ended. We picked up odd jobs here and there to get money to head home, or until we could get another one-trip job back. After one job fell though we stumbled upon Rico, and from there met Jean again. We'd met him after his team had been stupid enough to get pinned down out in the open during a coalition mission in the Balkans. He said he could get us a job with a counter-terrorism agency, rest is history.

As for Roles...I'm a man of many talents, but usually its me and Sally's job to scope things out, provide sniper support or suppression, and provide tactical or combat support to the gen 1s. Besides that I also help train some of the others' cyborgs and create a little mischief to lighten things up a bit.

Experimental, and unsuccessful. She'll live longer than a Gen 1 or 2, but her last years are going to be spent in a bed unable to move. She's got low levels of the stuff and won't suffer memory issues, but other than that she has to wade through a ton of other things.

Family is from Britian, Father SAS, mother was a French businesswoman. Came to Italy for vacation, got blown up and were unfortunate enough to end up here.

She's like the daughter I've never had, or will have. She's a special girl. She's smart, has a good sense of humor, knows when to be serious, an excellent marksman, an excellent soldier, and my list goes on and on. I have nothing but praise for her. The first few weeks had been iffy, but she's close to me as any person I've served with. I'd have to say that me and my brothers fratelli are a little close nit family, we're all we've got.

5. What are your favorite kinds of missions?

I'm a sniper and a recon kind of guy, So you can guess what I like.

Ones putting us on stakeout, without the sniper rifle nearby. Say watching someone from the next house over...boring. I really don't need to know how many times he needs to piss and at what times, nor when he and missus go have “adult time”, neither what they had for dinner. Just lemme put a round or two in there and the problem is solved.

It's okay, not as fun as my Delta days, but Sally makes it bearable.

Mostly yes. Although Jean's become a cold hearted bastard. Heard the story about his family. Is it understandable that he angry and wants revenge? Yes. Is it good for him in the long run? No. Revenge just comes to bite you in the arse. Marco needs to lighten up as well. If he wants the Angelica he had before, start to get to know her better and treat her well. The rest should follow.

It isn't horrible, better than basic. Somewhere near the middle.

The intercontinental missions. God those were fun. Go to Algeria, take out such and such as well as his band of terrorists. Get issued special gear, dropped off on a shore line and go in on your own to do the mission.

God I miss those days.

11. Where would you like to spend your next vacation? Have you been there before?

Back in the ol' USA.

I think its fine. If she likes teddy-bears, she can like teddy-bears and if her handler gives them to her, fine.

13. Do you have a favourite colour?

No...And you want to know this why?

Any of my buddies from Delta, 82nd Airborne, the 75th Airborne Rangers, and various others i've served with. Tack my brother as well. I've also got to say the cyborgs, they keep going even though they don't have much of a life and are all terminally ill. Also some other historical snipers.

Instantaneously. 

PolosElite23

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Mon 15 Jul 2013 - 11:54

Interview: James Spettro
[Note: This is representative of James’ thoughts and opinions early in his career at the SWA.]

Hello, can you tell us your name and a little about your role in Section 2? How did you wind up here?
My name is James Spettro, and I hold the rank of Lieutenant, honorably discharged, of the United States Marine Corps. Unfortunately, I made it to the Social Welfare Agency via DIShonorable discharge from the CIA, following my mark getting rescued by a “kind samaritan”. It didn’t help that I’d been getting help from the local street urchins, which the Agency [a/n: ref: CIA] can’t exactly condone. I did some consulting work for a few months for some state and national agencies before Jean called me up. I used to be a member of USMC Force Recon, so I have an extensive background in stealth and SIGINT operations. This made me an ideal handler for Caterina, my cyborg, who is configured for such missions. 

As to what we do, specifically, that information is best gotten from Jean or Chief Lorenzo. If they release it, good for you. All I can say is that this fratello stays undercover and away from the fighting. 

What can you tell us about your cyborg’s conditioning?
Caterina’s conditioning is at about the median operating level. I don’t know much about how it works, but the docs tell me that too little will leave her emotionally chaotic, but too much will stunt her ability for creativity and independent thought. So I went for in between. 

Anything about her past?
No idea. Caterina’s a “Jane Doe”. She was found outside Berlin in a ditch. All we know is that she’s probably a rape victim of some kind, and samples tested positive for at least five different DNA signatures. Based on this, and other, evidence, it’s not unlikely she was sold as a sex slave on the black market. 

How do you feel about your cyborg? What is your relationship with her like?
Caterina’s like a very high quality rifle. Consistently accurate, consistently reliable, and with a few personal quirks that nevertheless endear you to it. I wouldn’t go so far as to say she’s a daughter to me, but she’s certainly the best weapon I have at my disposal. I don’t think I’d be able to my job half as well without her. 

What are your favourite kinds of missions?
Direct action. Given my background, you’d think I’d prefer pure SIGINT, but sitting so long makes me stiff. Call me stereotypical, but I’m always ready for a good fight. I just don’t get the opportunity these days. 

What kind of missions do you dislike?
Extended screen monitoring. Or, when the First Generation models kill everything. Caterina and I usually get left to the side, watching our screens and monitoring radio signals. It’s usually quite dull, as the Gen. Ones and their handlers are all well trained for that sort of mission. 

How do you like life with the SWA?
It’s a life. I’d prefer to have more clearance to go abroad, but it’s better than trying to explain to some nobody how C++ works. 

Do you get along with the other SWA staff? Anyone particularly stand out?
In general, I get along fairly well with anyone. Jean’s got a good head on his shoulders, in my opinion, but the man needs to be more communicative. Olga’s a big fan of Caterina, mostly because I asked for her help getting Caterina’s balance and flexibility up to spec. 

Dining hall: Michelin Star or slop trough?
Eh. Field rations are a hell of a lot worse than what you get just off the street in Italy, and SWA dining hall food is certainly more than “just off the street”. Still, I’ve eaten better, either under cover or just on my own downtime between missions. 

Is there anything that you miss being able to do since joining the SWA?
Traveling. Italy’s great, but I’m used to flying around, arranging things and making plans. 

Where would you like to spend your next vacation? Have you been there before?
Singapore. Or Hong Kong. Two fabulous cities that are a lot of fun to just pause the world in. A glass of whiskey on a balcony seat, with soft jazz in the background....

Triela's teddy bear collection appropriate for a cyborg?
I can tell you one thing about cyborgs I know for certain: their psychology is what keeps them going. I don’t really care how they cope, as long as they respond appropriately on mission. If teddy bears keep Triela happy, then I’ll personally buy her eight tons of them. 

Do you have a favourite colour?
I’m a big fan of navy blazers, if that means anything. 

Is there anyone, fictional or otherwise, that you admire?
Can’t say there really is. 

If you could chose, how would you like to die?
Old age. I’d prefer not to die in a back alley, if that’s alright with you.

Il Direttore

Forum Posts : 1003

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkRosewater on Tue 1 Oct 2013 - 20:35

Hello, My name is Anthony Blake. I am... well, I don't really know what I am. I aid with Annelise's mental health. I was hired by Section 2 due to my collaboration with the Social Welfare Agency in the past as a consultant.
That is classified. You have no need to pry any further.
She nearly died in a bombing. Her entire family was killed.

It is purely business. I provide her with care and support, and I am provided money. I have to make a living some way, right?
I don't go on missions. Unlike most people here, I am not field qualified.

Same comment as above.

Reasonable. They have a decent medical facility, and good research supplies. I would have done anything to get this in med school.

I've developed a fairly good relationship with Dr. Bianchi. We understand each other. As for Belisario, that man terrifies me. The human mind is not a playground.

I've had better, I've had worse.
The stress is pretty high, but mostly my life is for the better. I hit rock bottom before coming here, and I have no intention of going back.
I would really like to see Germany before I die. I have never gone, but I always admired the country.

People show affection in strange ways. Frankly, her collection, and all emotions associated, seem perfectly natural, considering her situation.

That question seems irrelevant.
I admire many different characters. The lives of those in fiction seem better than our own. As for real people, I have not met a person who I have really... found admirable. At least, for a long time...
I do not wish to answer that question. It is disturbing, and seems... (sighs) Is this interview over yet?

MarkRosewater

Forum Posts : 16

Registration date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 on Sat 11 Jan 2014 - 1:39

My name is Frédéric Loeb, and my role along with my cyborgs, Jim Eligino and Jamiebel Angkahan, in Section 2 is transportation and anything vehicular-related, as well as helping with assaults on the front line and the like. I wound up here as a liaison for the French Army, after the New Trino incident happened.

2. What can you tell us about your cyborgs' conditioning?
Their conditioning is very light - I read their profile, and saw they had happy lives, but with underlying trauma moments, with that being the reason of said conditioning. When the time comes, I will tell them, and hopefully, it shouldn't bother them as it would if I told them immediately after recovery.

3. Anything about their past?
Both of them were American high school students, but they weren't any of the typical stereotypes - in fact, they were well-behaved. I can understand why they wanted to live in the moment of graduation, but it seems like almost bad luck, how they ended up here. Luckily, they shouldn't remember what happened to them.

4. How do you feel about your cyborgs? What is your relationship with them like?
I can relate with them equally - Jim loves cars, knows just about the basics. I taught him the deeper things about cars, and how to drive cars fast. He was really excited (or was it nervous?) when he first started to learn driving fast, but I taught and he learned over time, and I heard (I'm not sure, but I heard) he was on par with some of the best here. I've heard from one of the handlers that their cyborg is like Stirling Moss. Personally, I like to think Jim is probably more like Sébastien Loeb, rather than Mario Andretti.
He also liked writing - he showed me some of his works, and I was impressed with how he wrote. He did usually write comedic stories, which often made me laugh. I gave him pointers on how to write out of his 'zone'.

As for Jamiebel, she likes sports. She may not be the best at her sports, but she is good in my eyes. I did show her the sport of rugby, and she did seem rather reluctant to play it. But her track and field experience made up for her reluctance to play alongside the front-runners, and it showed. Whenever she has the ball, she just legs it like no tomorrow, and very few can keep up. Sometimes she does forget to stop, but that's just her.

Her love for cars actually branched from Jim, after he taught her how to drive. I had a hand in helping Jim teaching Jamiebel, and she got the hang of it quicker than Jim. She's not as passionate as Jim when it comes to cars, nor is she as knowledgeable, but she's getting by.

Any faults? Well, Jim does have outrageous dreams, and he does tend to have quite the temper. Also, he does often have trouble trying too hard, and being a little over-protective of his friends. Jamiebel, on the other hand, does tend to space out a little more than usual, and she sleeps quite a lot. I often have to have Jim wake her up with breakfast! I heard she was a heavy sleeper, but this is too much! (laughs)

Personally, I like any mission that involves undercover work.

Well, that depends. If there is something that requires us out of our repertoire, we're out. Simple as that.

Honestly, life with the SWA isn’t much different from life before, so it’s pretty good. It's nice to talk with other handlers, and their cyborgs.

Actually, yes. I do often talk with Brian McDonnell, trading war stories, talking about his cyborg Allison and how she gets along with Jim (we even set them up as a team for a rally; more on that another time) and whatnot. Michele Pagani seems pretty cool, considering he is very rich, and to be honest, he does seem like a pushover, but I know really he's not. Elio Alboreto, I can probably relate with more, but he's a knowledgeable guy when it comes to motorsport. I can see why he likes the old-style days of Ford vs. Ferrari. Jethro Blacker isn't around a lot, but when he is, he's a nice guy. I do have quite the friendship with Frank, though. He's quite friendly, despite being an American werewolf in Florence. He and I just clicked like that. I can learn a lot from the guys here.... and of course I couldn’t leave off without mentioning Jean: capable, competent, driven... but a tolerable person. 

I quote one Jethro Blacker: "Food’s food. This isn’t bad food." That is all.

Hm. You know, I don't think so.

Hmm, good question... I think I'd like to take Jim and Jamiebel to Marseille. And if at all possible, Pau. I lived in Marseille my whole life, and I've visited Pau a few times, but never for vacation.

Why not? Any cyborg can have a collection of something, right?

Woof, let me see...perhaps French Racing Blue. Why? Because of Guy Ligier and the Ligier F1 team, along with François Cevert. And before you ask, yes, my favorite number is 26, and my 26th birthday was my best birthday.

Well Alberto’s something of a legend back at the old office, and the aforementioned Guy Ligier. Cevert, well, that's a maybe.

As for people I know...let's say this person was one I fell in love with while in my army days. She's not with me anymore, but I know she lives on in spirit.

Either A) protecting who I love the most, or B) drunk out of my mind, oblivious, but happy.

Last edited by topgearbrzgt86 on Mon 16 Feb 2015 - 12:05; edited 3 times in total

topgearbrzgt86

Forum Posts : 452

Registration date : 2013-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sat 11 Jan 2014 - 19:59

Nicely done. Now we're all acquainted, how about a fic? Show us what this team does for the Agency.

Thescarredman

Forum Posts : 1865

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 on Sat 11 Jan 2014 - 23:28

Thescarredman wrote:Nicely done. Now we're all acquainted, how about a fic? Show us what this team does for the Agency.
Well, I'm working on an origin short-fic first, so getting it done right now would be impossible. I'll probably try to include what the team does in the fic. I do have a good outline of what to do, though, so there's a start. Wink

topgearbrzgt86

Forum Posts : 452

Registration date : 2013-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 12 Jan 2014 - 7:21

topgearbrzgt86 wrote:
Thescarredman wrote:Nicely done. Now we're all acquainted, how about a fic? Show us what this team does for the Agency.
Well, I'm working on an origin short-fic first, so getting it done right now would be impossible. I'll probably try to include what the team does in the fic. I do have a good outline of what to do, though, so there's a start. Wink
Well, my only advice there would be, if you don't think you can neatly get origin and role into the same fic then don't... save it for a later chapter and keep the flow rather than trying to throw out too much information at once.  Very Happy

Alfisti

Forum Posts : 5754

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Wed 19 Mar 2014 - 11:22

Ahoy! Three inbound!

Mitch Carmine, I'm a handler for one of the cyborgs in section 2. Her name is Cassie. As for how I wound up here. Let's just say I'm ex-Delta and I was out of work. Problems finding a job when you're ex-military in the US right now, especially since I've got no formal school training. Being able to kill people with your bare hands doesn't tend to look good on resumes.

Then I got a call from the Lieu- I mean Josh. He said Italy was looking to hire some extremely skilled soldiers for a top-secret Counter-terrorism unit and that he'd joined and had secured me a job if I wanted it. Though he didn't tell me about Cass'. Anyway rest is history.

Hell if I can. Took Hillshire's word and have it down low, makes Cass' a bit of a handful, but the alternative is much worse.

I'd rather not remember those details. She's from France, that's all I'll give.

Cassie? She's the sweetest little thing. Most of the girls are anyway. She's abit...attached to me. Engineers think it has to do with her age, Bianchi calls it “Separation Anxiety”. Basically she didn't handle me being away for extended periods of time. Funny as it is the solution to the problem wasn't conditioning, we tried that and a few other things, but actually a little teddy bear * laughs *. Solved the anxiety after I told her to think of the bear as a promise that I'd never abandon her. She runs everywhere with the thing...

As for our relationship? I'm still trying to figure that out.

Favorite kinds of missions? That's a tough one. Probably a Raid, as much as I hate Cassie to actively engage the padania. Those tend to be the funner missions.

The ones we lose people on or have wounded on our side. That means we didn't do our jobs right, and sometimes its just plain us being unlucky.

Its...tough. Kids aren't supposed to fight. I saw child soldiers back with Delta. Even fought against them. Thought it was the worst thing in the world, and now I'm doing the same as the people who put those kids against me. Its not something I'm proud of. I don't think I'll ever think back fondly to my time here. Cassie makes it bearable, in a way I feel as if I'm forced to use her in a way she never should have to do, I hate it. I try and make up for it when I can, its an uncomfortable position. Not one I signed up for, but what can I do?

I get along well, bump head with our more...strict handlers and staff from time to time. Bianchi has been a blessing and Hillshire and Jose are a wealth of advice. Vinto is a pain in the arse, but I try and get along with him. He knows his stuff, but his people skills could use work. Other than that most everyone here has been fine. Cassie is particularly fond of Priscilla though.

Its food, that's all that matters.

Anything? Guess it be being home. Miss my mother. Don't have as much time to play tennis, though I'm getting Cassie into it. Helps her coordination and well, I miss playing. Though it be nice to play a really good player one of these days.

I've been just about anywhere and I don't really get “vacation time”. Not really interested in traveling.

I don't see why not.

Umm...Azure?

People like Nimitz, Patton and some others. Anyone I've served with, anyone in the US Military to be honest.

In my bed, well-fed, old and not working for the SWA. *laughs *

Still tr'n to figure out how you all conned me into this. I've got bloody work to do.

Ahem. Anyway, my name's Donald, Donald Malarky. Friends just call me Malarky. Use to be part of MI-6, which is how I found out about this little get together. Found a girl in Sicily, daughter of a mafia boss. Little bit of in-fighting. Poor lass got caught up in it.

Took her to our friends here, told them to fix her up. No monkey business. Of course they didn't like that. Ended up turning the girl into a cyborg and set me up as her handler, not much else I could have done. Bein' a cyborgs is a better fate than bein' dead I guess.

Minimal. Not that the little lass knows that.

Didn't I answer that a bit back? Next question.

How do I feel about the little lass? She's smart, has her head on right. Which is more than I can say for a lot of people in the Agency. I guess I could say the same for back in MI-6. She's a good shot. Gets on my nerves at times, but she's a fine lass to have around. She could learn a bit of respect and be a little more focused at times, but she’s still a kid. Plus, she’s nothing like Carina, Vinto’s girl

Ones I get to play detective on *laughs *. Makes me feel like something out of a bond film. Figures I might as well get a kick out of it.

The ones that end badly. You can guess which ones those would be.

Ah, it’s a bit like my time back in MI-6. Find terrorists, track terrorists, kill terrorists. Gather intelligence and get a bit of action on the side.

My chaps from America. Only worked with them briefly before, a quick mission even though it went to hell. Even so, nice to work with someone familiar from my days in Six. Hillshire and Marco are reasonable chaps as well, tend to work well with them. Prefer to work on my own though. Less people, less jobs, less can go wrong.

It's not my mother's own cookin', but it ain't terrible.

Travel, MI-6 sent me all over the globe. I’m a bit stuck here in Italy for them moment.

My idea of vacation would be to go and travel a few places over a week or two. Just go on adventure, there is a reasonable expectation you won’t end up dead in an alley somewhere.

Appropriate? I guess I don’t know what really to comment. She’s a young girl, even if she is a teen or something. Adolescent. Let her live like one while she can, from how its sounds the Generation ones won’t live much longer, year or two says she’ll be dead. Might as well let the lass live a bit, be a normal girl

Bloody-hell, what is this kindergarten? *shakes head* I guess it would have to be gold, I’m Irish after all.

Mr. Bond *laughs*. Ah- but more seriously The Queen, heart lies back with home I guess. My fellows back in Six. Good chaps, respectable ones.

*laughs* with a full belly, napping in my bed next to a nice girl, but never waking up. Though life will probably leave me empty handed on that hope.

Vinto de Santis. My job is to eradicate the Padania as ordered, or anyone Italy needs disposed of.

Jean recommended a slightly higher dosage than normal. I have been pleased with the results, though my colleges disagree. Difference of opinion, still she does her job and moreso.

Rich little girl who fell down the side of a mountain. SWA got ahold of her, that is about all I cared to read about. Best not to get to attached to them, they die anyway.

She is my subordinate. I give the orders and she fights the enemy. I give her tasks, she completes them. I teach, she learns. The workday ends, I go home. She goes to her dorms. We get deployed, we complete missions and come back. It’s not our job to foster some kind of family relationship that our unit is referred to as, it’s our job to kill terrorists. Protect Italy, sometimes I wonder how many others forget this.

The ones with high body counts.

*a shadow passes over his face* When they get away.

It is a job. A duty. I like my job, I like doing my duty to Italy. I shall keep doing that.

“Get along” is a term that is hard to answer. Do I have a resasonable, working relationship with my colleges? Yes. Do we agree or are “Friends”? Certainly not. I’m here to do a job, not make a few buddies to go drinking with.

Though I will say, Jean is one of the few reasonable handlers in the Agency. His dedication to duty and to his job is what I strive to match. He understands what cyborgs are and how to use them. Its respectable.

As I have told Carina: Food is fuel for the body. Taste is irrelevant.

No need to spend time on it, just eat and keep going.

I find little difference in my life here as it was with the Carabineri.

My family’s summer home in Sardinia.

Certainly not. Her focus should be on training and tasks for the agency, not stuffed toys.

I can’t decide if you’re kidding with this question or not.

No reason to admire anyone. All people are flawed. No sense in trying to become someone and take their flaws upon yourself as well. For as great as one is, there is always a flaw that stabs them in the back.

In the service of Italy.

PolosElite23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Wed 19 Mar 2014 - 16:07

That's quite a trio. I'd like to see them and their kids on a mission together.
Thescarredman

Male

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 19 Mar 2014 - 16:27

What TSM said, Pez. Your handlers all look fairly standard but well constructed. A good baseline for further development, I'd say, without being too flash about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 20 Mar 2014 - 7:02

I'm guessing Malarky is Northern Irish and Protestant?

Interesting trio as the others have said. I enjoyed Mitch's take on "I don't like it but I'm here", he sounds more like someone resigned to doing a job he doesn't really want to do, rather than taking a holier-than-thou stance.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Thu 20 Mar 2014 - 10:41

Alfisti wrote:I'm guessing Malarky is Northern Irish and Protestant?

Interesting trio as the others have said. I enjoyed Mitch's take on "I don't like it but I'm here", he sounds more like someone resigned to doing a job he doesn't really want to do, rather than taking a holier-than-thou stance.

Right on the nail for both...

I was worried that Carmine wouldn't come out as well as he did, glad to see the point went across.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Wed 18 Jun 2014 - 1:14

(This is Giancarlo's first interview, done four months after joining the agency and two months after starting work with Valentina. As was the case with Valentina, his answers likely will change over time.)

Hi. My name’s Giancarlo Rossi. I was recruited—I think that’s the best way of putting it—by Jean with the goal to improve the agency’s electronic warfare and intelligence gathering capabilities. He told me the skills I had developed while working with the NSA made me a very attractive candidate for the job. Due to your lower level of security clearance, I’m afraid I can’t really provide you with much more details about my specific duties, however. At least, that’s what Chief Pieri told me. If you want a better answer you’ll probably need to speak directly with him, though I have a feeling he’ll tell you exactly the same thing.

Why am I here in Italy and not still living in the United States and working for the NSA? I guess the simplest answer is that I figured that I wanted Sofia back in my life more than I wanted to continue the amazing work I was doing at the agency. The other agency, I mean, obviously. To put it another way, they didn’t fire me, if that’s what you’re asking.

Upon being assigned Valentina, Jean recommended that I use a very high dose of the conditioning drug to ensure maximum compliance. After speaking with some of the other handlers they recommended that I not risk turning Valentina into a robot and needlessly shorten her lifespan by giving her so much of the drug. After kicking the question around for a bit I decided to split the difference though with a slight bias toward a lower dosage. I value the greater level of independent thought a lower conditioning dosage provides her. So far, it seems to be working well.

Hmm, let’s see… Valentina was a ten-year-old girl named Adelina before she became my cyborg. From what I remember of her dossier she was beaten up pretty badly before her arrival here. Even worse, her own mother was the one responsible for nearly killing her. Gah… I can’t imagine how depraved a person would have to be to kill their own children like that, and especially a mother. Thank goodness she’s in prison now, where she belongs. And, poor Stefano. The guy must have been absolutely gutted upon hearing the news. Not just Adelina, of course, but all three of his kids killed just in the name of petty revenge. I know for a fact that, no matter how angry or depressed Sofia was or how much she would yell at me, she would never harm our son just to get back at me. And, of course, I wouldn’t dare do the same to her.

I really like her a lot, you have no idea. I love just how incredibly smart and enthusiastic she is. Whether that’s all due to the doctors and the whole conditioning-slash-imprinting thing or not I don’t know, but… let’s just say she would have fit in really well with my unit in the NSA. Maybe a little too enthusiastic, though, and I wish I can drive all that nervousness right out of her. She’s not nearly as terrible as she thinks. I designed some really challenging missions for her training and, while I expected some problems and she’s not perfect she’s doing way better than I would’ve done at the same stage of my career. I just wish she’d see it the same way.

What is our relationship like? Hmm… I’d say right now we’re rather close, and I don’t mind that one bit. It makes sense, if we’re going to be working together for several years, for us to be at the very least friendly to one another. Some of the other handlers told me that I should avoid being so attached to her, but… I don’t know. It just feels right to me.

We haven’t been assigned any missions against real targets yet, so, as I just said, I’ve only taken Valentina out on training missions. I wish I could tell you all about it. Trust me, I really do, but I’m strictly prohibited from revealing specifics. But, God, I absolutely love the new attack payloads and strategies we have planned, and a part of me I can’t wait to go live with them even if it does mean leaving my office from time to time.

Any mission that puts us in real danger of injury or, heaven forbid, death. I mean, I’m aware that being a spy and working in the field is very dangerous work, but I’m not expected to do the same sort of job performed by, say, Alessandro or any actual spy, so I’m not supposed to be subject to the same risks. I’d rather like to keep it that way. Given how hard they worked at teaching me how to shoot they seem to think differently, and that scares me a little. Let’s hope it never actually comes to that.

I can’t really complain too much. Section Chief Pieri was generous enough to let me spend the occasional moment with my wife and son, provided I don’t do anything silly. Seeing the people I work for and the people I work with… I want to think that I’m not that stupid. Otherwise, beyond the fact that I have Valentina, it’s not all that different from my previous job, and I loved that job.

I don’t really directly interact with most of the other handlers because our jobs are so different. Of course I do see them from time to time in the handlers’ quarters. We’re friendly enough with each other. But, not enough to really have anyone stand out to me, except maybe for James. His job isn’t the same as mine but it’s close enough and we do have to talk to each other a lot because of that.

It’s not the best food I’ve ever eaten, but it’s good enough, and it’s close. I just wish it were open twenty-four hours a day so I don’t have to go out to wondering about late at night or, worse, cook.

I’m used to working in a job where I have restrictions on what I can tell and to whom, so, um, there’s no change there. As I told you earlier, I’m allowed to visit my wife and son, which I definitely want to do—though it’s been a few months since I’ve joined and strangely I’ve yet been given clearance for that. In fact, I’ve barely even had the opportunity to talk with her, which worries me.

Anyway, to answer your question, I guess I miss being able to spend all of my time just designing and coding and not just a part of it. That, and walking around outside while not needing to carry a gun.

Let’s see… I haven’t ever traveled to Japan before, so that might be an interesting place to visit if I ever get a vacation.

12. Is Triela's teddy bear collection appropriate for a cyborg?
Absolutely. Anything that makes their lives easier I think ultimately makes our lives as handlers easier. Why do you think I bought a laptop for Valentina?

Blue. Definitely blue.

Alan Turing. Sure there are plenty of others, and I could list them all if you’re willing to sit here for another hour or so, but I believe he’s the most important person in my opinion, as far as my field is concerned.

Huh? Are you kidding me? What type of question is that? I mean, isn’t the answer obvious? Of old age, of course. And painlessly at that. Preferably in front of my computer punching out one last bit of code.
PSVT

Male

Forum Posts : 511

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : Giancarlo Rossi and his cyborgs Valentina R. and Eleonora R.; James Bernard and his cyborg Rachelle

Comments : Working on an actual story now, so please be patient... ^_^;

Registration date : 2014-05-27
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Wed 18 Jun 2014 - 15:04

Heh. Giancarlo is a bit of an ivory-tower type. And entirely too trusting. Guess he'll find out eventually that the Agency doesn't always keep its promises - or at least that it doesn't always promise what you thought it did.
Thescarredman

Male

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 19 Jun 2014 - 5:44

PSVT wrote:...I just wish it were open twenty-four hours a day so I don’t have to go out to wondering about late at night or, worse, cook.
Ah, a man after my own heart!

He certainly seems to have a personality ill-suited to field work, not least the distinct dislike of thoughts involving the potential for pain or death. Don't get me wrong, while it's dubious anyone sane, or even close to, relishes the thought of pain and death, he does seem to have a particularly adverse reaction. I shall look forward to seeing him work at fitting into a group, many of whom seem to have accepted both as a sort of occupational hazard.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Fri 20 Jun 2014 - 0:56

Thescarredman wrote:Heh. Giancarlo is a bit of an ivory-tower type. And entirely too trusting. Guess he'll find out eventually that the Agency doesn't always keep its promises - or at least that it doesn't always promise what you thought it did.
Indeed he is, as he's spend pretty much all of his time either cloistered within the NSA in a unit that did research and development or in school doing the same thing. Though he has worked in an intelligence agency for the last 15 years or so, he was completely spared from the rigors of actual field work. He has something of an idea of what goes on outside, but it's far from a complete idea. The same is true of the political maneuvering and shenanigans. Also relevant to Giancarlo:

Alfisti wrote:He certainly seems to have a personality ill-suited to field work, not least the distinct dislike of thoughts involving the potential for pain or death. Don't get me wrong, while it's dubious anyone sane, or even close to, relishes the thought of pain and death, he does seem to have a particularly adverse reaction.
Overall, it certainly seems that the SWA is making a major gamble and he has his work cut out for him. We'll see how well he fares. Wink
PSVT

Male

Original Characters : Giancarlo Rossi and his cyborgs Valentina R. and Eleonora R.; James Bernard and his cyborg Rachelle

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by San and Flo on Thu 12 May 2016 - 0:53

1. I am Letrice's handler. I will say that I am part Filipino. Nothing more.

2. No need to know. All I'll say is that I was an arms dealer.

3. I'll quote the words of a man known as the Jackal. It's the closest you can get to her history. Find out the rest on your own.

[size=43]The Jackal: “Saw this kid on the side of the road yesterday. Could’ve been 18, 17. Had a shotgun across his lap. A dead APR in the ditch next to him. Couple of rounds from the 12-guauge tore big chunks of hamburger from his torso. Kid was liftin’ up the guy’s leg, taking off his boots. Kid just looked tired. Beat down, ragged, tired…old… A kid that age…shouldn’t look like that.[/size]

4. I try to keep it professional, but she acts like a daughter. F***. I don't know what to do. That smile of her's.

5. None. You expect me to enjoy getting shot at?
6. The ones where my cyborg get hurt or something.

7. It's okay. Better than when I was an arms dealer in some unknown country.

8. Letrice keeps hanging around me. I can't get her away. I'm good with others. How I'm still social? Well, I sold AKs to both sides. Levelled field, they keep asking for more. I then negotiate prices.

9. Why should I care?

10. None. Unless making money counts.

11. I don't know. Somewhere with Letrice, I guess?

12. I. Don't. Care.

13. I'm not a kid.

14. I admire the AK 47. It is the greatest equalizer. I don't use it, because it's kinda holy, to me at least.

15. Who the f*** wants to die?
San and Flo

Male

Forum Posts : 121

Fan of : Beatrice, Henrietta, Rico and Triela.

Original Characters : San and Letrice, Lawrence and Onyx

Comments : Let's see how many mags I can waste on one body.

Registration date : 2016-05-11
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by San and Flo on Thu 12 May 2016 - 1:13

EDIT*

4. I try to keep it professional, but she acts like a daughter. F***. I dunno what to do. That smile of her's... F*** innocence.

5. None. You expect me to enjoy being shot at?

The AK 47 is the Great Equalizer.
San and Flo

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Wed 25 May 2016 - 1:17

Seeing as I don’t have an OC that is a handler, I wonder if I might do it for my SI crazy teacher insert.

Chris- Yeah the insane midgets were pestering me to do this

Chris O’Donnel and I wound up here because Tea just about ripped my arm off dragging me here. Although that might have had something to do with me seeing her beat up a bunch of morons. Ferro has made me the teacher of the girls and they are a pretty good group I just wish they would stop using their examples on missions and then telling me how successful they were. Dry ice isn’t supposed to be used that way, or …… I’m gonna shut up now.

Don’t have one but Beactrice is controllable with cookies, Triela likes stuffed bears, Rico and Angelica like dogs, and Henrietta likes classical music so it’s not too hard to keep them in line.

Don’t have a cyborg but hey learn something new every day. Just wish They could have warned me Rico sees Ferro as a surrogate big sister or mom. Thank goodness the agency pool was put so close to the window. Now how do you think Angelica sees Priscilla.

Ah they’re good little scamps. It might take a bit of work but I think I can get them into pretty good colleges once this whole anti-terrorism thing is over. Now if they would just give me the low down on the female staff.

Um, the ones where the girls don’t rip my arms off when we go shopping.

Um the ones where I end up getting punch by angry women because somehow that always happens to me. I mean come on the little bugger just has to throw his paper airplane (it was for an experiment) down the hall right as the cleaning lady is coming through. I do not want to get the Mongolian sleeper hold again.

The pay is good, and I get to see Europe so I can’t complain. Hey don’t look at me like that it was teach of get a pair of cement shoes.

Jean’s an ass. Jose is repressed. Sandro is a man whore. Marco needs to the stick out of his ass. Victor is a good guy though even if he does need to get laid once and a while. That lawyer friend of his is pretty cute though.

It beats the school cafeteria in Mongolia.

Eh hard to say I’m still basically doing what I normally do, teach and travel.

The dream is Australia but I’d settle for cycling the danube. Maybe they’ll let me take some of the girls with me.

Sure why not. It’s not the strangest thing I’ve ever seen.

Green

Kira Yamato….. Don’t look at me like that Gundam Seed was an awesome show. I don’t know never thought about it.

Un how about never, or surrounded by friends at the age of 115.
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathduck monster on Wed 25 May 2016 - 7:53

Of course you can, he was already cited somewhere else as pretty much being your OC.
Bathduck monster

Male

Forum Posts : 95

Fan of : Interesting stories

Original Characters : Santa and Nicia(and Enzo)

Comments : None, thanks for asking though.

Registration date : 2016-03-15
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Wed 25 May 2016 - 16:17

Dry ice isn’t supposed to be used that way, or …… I’m gonna shut up now.
 That and lawn darts.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Thu 26 May 2016 - 22:29

Lolz
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1968

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Sat 28 May 2016 - 23:26

Very awesome and hilarious work there, CI! Chris really is quite the cool character given his abrupt situation. Then again, he's had nearly just as crazy stuff happen before so what's a bunch of murderous cyborg girls by comparison? Wink

The perfect might be the enemy of the good. Then again, so is the mediocre.
PSVT

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Sun 29 May 2016 - 13:26

Well, I must say Mister O'Donnel is quite the friendly fellow, has his place down pat with the girls retaining a might friendly attitude.
Score: 10 out of possible 10.
(Ferro by the way, was holding the score card, Mmmmm) Wink
Very nice, indeed. head bang
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1968

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by San and Flo on Sun 29 May 2016 - 20:33

I should get Onyx to help Chris with teaching the girls how to properly "play" with explosives... But she's kinda busy trying to combine C4 and thermite. Gotta go see how that works out.

Letrice is laughing right now as she's reading this... "Mongolian sleeper hold? Is that much more painful than ancient Chinese torture?" she asked me...

- Lorenzo

San and Flo

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Mon 30 May 2016 - 2:46

Hehehe go Fero..... score one for me...... oh crap there is Rico...... Oh and Chinese torture has nothing on Mongolian. Where do you think they learned in the first place. Oh and don't eat the camel meat. Camel fat is ok, but the meat, oh hell no. Combining C$ and thermite isn't going to work, but cubanes are fun when they don't spontaneously explode in your face..... oh hell forgot I said that.....
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by San and Flo on Mon 30 May 2016 - 2:50

I ain't gonna tell Onyx about the C4 and thermite thing. I'll let her experiment. I remember that she very nearly got decapitated when she tossed a mortar round at an ammo dump... I still have to beat up San for giving her that mortar.

- Lorenzo.

San and Flo

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by M240B on Sat 11 Jun 2016 - 16:43

Marcello: Great, more interviews. 

My name is Marcello Corvi, and I'm currently assigned to Marzia Bianchi, as her handler. I'm a veteran of the special forces community, having served five years in the 4th Alpini Parachutist Regiment. If I can be candid, I really don't know why I'm here. My transfer officer said something about me being good with kids, but I don't even have a kid. To be honest, I think it might have been a mistake, but Marzia seems like a nice kid, so I'll see how it goes.

2. What can you tell us about your cyborgs conditioning?

The bare minimum. Don't get me started. I'm already having a tough enough time dealing with the fact that I'm training a child soldier, never mind one that's brainwashed.

I read Marzia's file. Good kid, good grades in school, had a little brother. She's...I dunno. I don't like looking at her file or thinking about what she used to be. 

Well...look. You know my apprehensions about this whole thing. That's been noted for the past two weeks, dead horse, yadda yadda. *shifts in his seat* I like her. She's a great kid, got some real enthusiasm for the job. Is she naive? Of course, but she's thirteen, that's to be expected. 

As for our relationship? Well I mean, I never had a kid before, so...I guess I'd be like a big brother or a father or something to her, right? I dunno, we'll see where it goes. Better she be paired with someone that can care for her than...I dunno. I don't wanna think about it.

Direct action. I don't like cloak and dagger stuff, and yes, while I was special forces, most of our missions were pretty much kicking down doors. That...was fun. 

6. What kinds of missions do you dislike?

There aren't any that I really dislike.

So far, so good. You people treat your staff well. I like being able to have a bit of autonomy with how I do things, though I do miss being with my friends. Benefits package is good though. *he smiles*

8. How do you get along with other SWA staff? Anyone particularly stand out?

I've gotten along good with the people I've met so far, though I'm not good at remembering names, heh. 

Try eating rations for a few months straight on a long term assignment in Afghanistan. Anything is better than that. But seriously, the food here is fine.

10. Is there anything you miss being able to do since joining the SWA?

Like I said, I miss my friends, but other than that, there's quite a bit here for me to do that I couldn't back in the Army. 

Monaco, and yes, I have been there before. It's where I met my wife.

I mean, I don't see a problem with it, I have no place to judge someone that's been here longer than I.

Are you running out of good questions? I like green.

Well if I had to choose...The Shadow. I used to listen to old American radio shows, a bit of an odd thing to listen to, I know, but The Shadow was like Batman...before Batman was a thing. 

15. If you could choose, how would you die?

Well that was....blunt. Heh. Uhh. I'd like to die while riding a tiger away from a fireball. But seriously, I'll take a combat death.

Ergo ego spiro existo
M240B

Female

Forum Posts : 217

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Tara Stahl/Andrea Walker. Claire Lambert/James Hannaford. Isabella Inserra/Carolina Cross.

Comments : Nothing much to know about me.

Registration date : 2012-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by San and Flo on Sat 11 Jun 2016 - 22:08

San (Not me; the OC): Buddy, wanna hang out? Lorenzo's not available.

Lorenzo: As I said, I'm still cleaning up Onyx's mess. And please stop giving her more C4!

San and Flo

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 3:46

Marcello sounds like someone intent on making the best of a situation he's not entirely comfortable with. I get the impression that, as of the date of this interview, he's not been at the SWA for very long (judging just on the "two weeks" comment... out of curiosity: is that how long he's been there, or how long Mariza's been active, or just how long it's been since he raised his objections)? If so, I'll be interested to see how his relationships with the other handlers develop as the varying views and personalities come to the fore.

Sounds like they're going to be a fairly generalist fratello (not a bad thing either)?

Either way, he seems like a well put together character though this, like a living person, if that makes sense? Nicely done.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 7:06

Alfisti: I'll be interested to see how his relationships with the other handlers develop as the varying views and personalities come to the fore.

Same here. None of the handlers (the canon ones, at least, and more than a few OCs) knows what he's getting into with the Agency before the door slams shut behind him, but Marcello seems a bit more clueless than most. But clearly he's a good soldier who'll do his best with this strange assignment.

In Marzia's interview, she says that she's had dinner with Marcello and his wife Norma. Does Signora Corvi know who and what Marzia is? How is she convinced to keep her silence?
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by M240B on Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 8:03

She doesn't know what Marzia is outside of "a girl from a program my unit's running where we let local children see how soldiers work."

Ergo ego spiro existo
M240B

Female

Original Characters : Tara Stahl/Andrea Walker. Claire Lambert/James Hannaford. Isabella Inserra/Carolina Cross.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Mon 8 Aug 2016 - 10:44

Strongly suggest reading Kay and Vee's Interview first.

The door to Antonio Salles’s small office rattled in time to the knocking from someone in the narrow hall outside. The interviewer looked up from his paperwork, startled. He didn’t have anyone scheduled at this time, and people almost never just stopped by. “Come in.”

His visitor seemed to take a long time turning the knob. Salles had almost begun to wonder if he had locked it when it finally swung open, revealing a middle-aged man in a wheelchair.

He stood. “Pardon, Signore. Let me help-”

“No need.” The man looked up at the ceiling and the large pipes running under it. “I’m glad your office is in the … older, not improved…” He spoke with a heavy accent that Salles thought was English.

“‘Unrenovated’?” He offered.

“Renovated, yes, thank you.” The man rolled easily through the doorway, pivoted, and closed the heavy door behind him with a push of his hand, making it rattle in the jamb. “The section not yet renovated. Across the ravine, the public parts of the Agency have doors that open as  you approach, or at the push of a button. Over here, renovated buildings have arms at the top of the doors that close them before you can get through.”

Salles offered his hand. “What can I do for you, Signore…”

The wheelchair-bound man took it. “Mayfair. Dottore Alan Mayfair.”

Antonio’s brow creased. He didn’t have much to do with the Agency’s medical department, except for Bianchi, who conducted some of the interviews. But he had thought he knew the names of all the key people there, and ‘Mayfair’ wasn’t familiar to him. “What can I do for you, Doctor?”

“First, please accept my apology for my girls. I think they gave you a rough time.”
“Eh? I-” ‘Girls.’ A handler with two cyborgs, in a wheelchair, a doctor... “Kristal and Verotrois?”

“Agreed.” Dr. Mayfair rolled his chair to the table Antonio used for a desk, parked with his legs underneath, and engaged the brakes. He folded his arms on the table and turned his head to the interviewer, waiting.

Salles sat at his usual place on the other side. “And second?”

“I want to discuss the girls’ interview.”

“I don’t do that as a matter of policy, Doctor. Even with handlers.”

The wheelchair-bound man leaned forward and stared into Antonio’s eyes. “No one has ever asked you before.” He leaned back. “You’re offended.”

“No, not at all. I-” The interviewer stopped, remembering the spooky look in the girls’ eyes, as if they could see right through him; this man’s gaze was the same.

“Yes,” the wheelchair-bound man said. “I trained them. They have observational skills I cannot match, but I have years more practice. I don’t think the students have surpassed the master quite yet.”

“What do you want to know?”

“Do you have a list of the questions?”

“Yes, of course.” He lifted a sheet from one of the stacks and passed it over.

The doctor read, and his eyebrows lifted. “I doubt you ever ask one of these girls how she got here. I think this must be the list of questions for the handlers.”

“Well, yes, I – oh.” He picked up another sheet. “I misunderstood.”

“A common failing among human beings.” He studied both sheets. “Antonio, why haven’t you scheduled me for one of these?”

Salles riffled quickly through a list. “An oversight. I’m supposed to interview all the cyborgs and handlers … that’s odd. Your name doesn’t appear.”

“But my girls did.”

“Yes.”

The man smiled. “I doubt it was an oversight. I am an outspoken critic of the Social Welfare Agency and its methods, not that anyone pays attention, since they know I won’t go outside Section Two with my gripes. Our bosses probably didn’t think I would say anything to you that you could use.”

“Perhaps. But you’re here now, Doctor, and I have the time.” In fact, Salles’s appointment calendar for the day was mostly empty, and he had been wondering how he might avoid being seconded to ‘administrative duty’ for half the day, forced to spend hours digging through the Agency’s paperwork backlog. “Perhaps you’d care to…”

Mayfair was still studying both questionnaires. “I wouldn’t mind. But expect our conversation to stray from the questions a bit. Also … I’ve lived in this country for a while now, and my conversational Italian is fairly good, I think. As long as I stay with subjects I have discussed before, I am seldom stuck for a word. But sometimes I have unexpected trouble, even with everyday subjects, and if we stray into new ground, you may have to put up with some stumbling.”

“All right.” Antonio’s eyes dropped to the page, even though he had read the questions often enough by now that he probably mumbled them in his sleep. “First question. Can you tell us your name and a little about your role in Section Two? How did you wind up here?”

Mayfair smiled and head-shrugged. “I doubt our employers would want me to be too forthcoming about that. Suffice to say that I am a specialist in getting people to tell me things they would rather not. Also, I have a doctorate in criminal psychology. Jean Croce and Director Lorenzo felt my skills would be useful. I was recruited here in Italy while conducting an investigation for my former employers. The transfer was not by my choice.”

The questioner nodded, feeling a certain sympathy: relocating to Section Two had not entirely been his choice either, but there had been a certain amount of friction with people in his former section, and his uncle had arranged the move when Antonio had complained about how impossible it was to advance in the face of such unearned hostility from his boss and coworkers. “An education in criminal psychology must be useful in dealing with the scum the Agency deals with.”

“Actually, I find it most useful in dealing with the Agency's administration, and the politicians that sponsor it.”

Salles blinked. The man certainly had not exaggerated the sourness of his relationship with his employers. “Two: What can you tell us about your cyborgs’ conditioning?”

The doctor paused, seeming to think. “It may seem hypocritical of me, but I don’t want to say what I know if there is any chance you will repeat it to them.”

“They’re hard to keep secrets from, Dottore, but I seldom speak with cyborgs outside of the interviews.” He went on, fishing, “Is this about the differences in their conditioning drugs?” Salles kept his face impassive, but couldn’t help feeling a certain satisfaction at the surprise on the doctor’s face. He added, “Verotrois told me that they vary her sister’s meds every few weeks, but not hers. She thinks she’s the control subject in some sort of experiment. She’s afraid to talk to her about it.”

The doctor scoffed. “The technician who gives the hypnotic suggestions to them must be an idiot. As close as they are, didn’t it occur to him they’d notice?” He shook his head. “I suppose Kristal has seen that they’re altering Vee’s medication but not hers, and she’s keeping it to herself as well.”

Salles frowned. “Wait, what?”

“Both of them are getting regular changes to their meds, but they’ve been conditioned not to remember.”

“What’s wrong with them?”

“It isn’t what’s wrong with them,” the wheelchair-bound man said. “It’s what’s wrong with me.” He held up a hand, halting the question on Salles’s lips. “Initially, their conditioning was second-generation standard - light on the drugs, heavy on the hypnotic suggestion, which allows for greater independence and longer lifespans – and, I am told, sometimes produces disquieting side effects and surprising behaviors. But, two years ago, I arranged with the doctors to experiment with the girls’ conditioning regimen.”

Why?

“To remove a threat to their lives,” the doctor said. “Or their identities, at least.” He straightened in his wheelchair, gripping the arms. “Did you know that, for many people, the pattern of their eye blinks changes while telling a lie? Not before or after, just during. It’s involuntary. Even if they know, and know you’re watching, they can’t help it. A very useful thing to know, when one asks a question that requires a longer answer than ‘yes’ or ‘no.’” Mayfair leaned forward, locking eyes with Antonio. “Tell, me, signore. Exactly why do you dislike cyborgs?”

The interviewer swallowed his automatic protest. “I, well, I came here from Section One. I’m sure you know the general opinion of Section Two and your cyborgs over there. I expected to find the place overrun with little robots built to resemble children, ready to carry out their handlers’ every command, and nothing more.” He broke eye contact. “That would have been better than what I did find.”

“The interviews?”

“Yes,” Salles said. “They can sound very normal. Endearing, even. But even the most congenial and well-adjusted of the cyborgs are frightening, if you happen to ask them the wrong question. Not just because they are so casual about violence and killing. Because…” He hesitated and started over. “They’re very focused. Single-minded…”

The handler smiled without humor, a stretching of the lips without showing teeth. “You seem to be searching for a word.”

“Edited,” the interviewer said finally. “Their personalities are incomplete. It’s disturbing.”

Mayfair nodded. “Yes. When the doctors ready a victim for conversion, they try to erase everything that they think is unusable or irrelevant, anything that might make them more difficult to control. The girls have to learn to be human all over again, in a stunted social environment that limits them to interacting mostly with one another – and those who use them.” The doctor’s gaze sharpened, and Antonio swallowed. But Mayfair said nothing, and the interviewer returned his attention to the page.

“Third question,” he said. “What can you tell me about their past?”

The handler sighed heavily. “Again, I really can’t tell you all I know. My twins joined the Agency under circumstances as … sneaky, secret, underhanded …”

“Surreptitious,” Antonio offered.

“That sounds like a long enough word to conceal a great deal of bad intent,” the doctor said wryly. “By all indications, their earlier lives were happy ones – except for the final ten minutes, which were terrifying and painful. Doctor Belisario tells me that most cyborgs retain the core of their original personalities through the conversion process. If that is so, then my two were a pair of bright, independent, assertive, and precocious young women – though that precocity manifested itself in rather different ways for each of my girls.”
 “Four: how do you feel about your cyborgs? What is your relationship with them like?

The man stilled. “They are the center of my life. It didn’t start out that way, but that’s the way it is now. I know they’re not my children; I don’t forget what they are or how they came to me. When the work I do for the Agency turns risky, they share my danger, and sometimes stand between me and that danger. If I tried to shelter them out of concern, they would become surly and tell me that is what they are made for, and take offense at my lack of confidence in them – and it would cause Jean and Lorenzo to question their usefulness. Sending them in harm’s way is painful, but it is part of my duty, and theirs. So for their training I put them in the hands of the Squaddra, and Major Salles’ men, so they will be as ready for it as they can.” He shifted. “As for the girls … what did they say about that?”

Antonio sorted through the stacks of folders – the recorded responses were all transcribed to an Agency-provided laptop, but he wasn’t very good with computers and preferred working with printouts – and picked up the one containing the girls’ fifteen questions and answers. “Well, being their handler, you’re central to their lives, of course.”

The doctor leaned forward. “Please, be more specific. It’s important. Did they give you identical responses?”

“No,” Salles said, mystified. He hesitated, then turned the page around and pushed it toward the handler. He watched the man devour the girls’ lengthy answer, nodding. “Surely you didn’t doubt the depth of their commitment to you.”

“More like I fear the depth of their commitment to me.” He set the page down and pushed it back. “About what I expected. Kristal treats me rather too much like a father for my comfort, but it’s hard not to reciprocate. Verotrois only calls me ‘Papa’ when she’s irritated with me.”

Antonio frowned. He had interviewed handlers who were uncomfortable around their cyborgs, either because the creatures’ programmed-in attachment made them feel guilty or simply creeped them out. Mayfair’s attitude seemed different, and incongruous after his earlier confession.

The doctor read his unease, apparently. “The other handlers gave you some surprises with this question too, I expect.”

He shrugged. “Not all of them. Really, their attitudes and behavior run the gamut. Some are simply in it for the money or career advancement. Some are quite passionate about defeating the independence movement, though there are a wide variety of reasons, from patriotism to revenge. And-” He stopped, realizing how loose his tongue had become, then pressed on. “But I have never heard such enmity as you express, Doctor.” Unspoken was the question of why the Agency kept him around.

“Because my girls and I are useful to them,” Mayfair said, answering the unspoken question. “And because, despite my enmity, they know I am committed to keeping Section Two a… running well, successful, long-living…”

“A going concern,” Salles said.

“Thank you. And their attitude toward their girls?” The doctor pressed.

Salles shifted in his seat. “They run the gamut as well. Some of the relationships seem simple, others quite complex. Some accept the Agency’s explanation that the cyborgs are …”

“Organic robots.” The doctor’s face and voice left no doubt of his position on that subject.

“Some seem to despise their cyborgs, even fear them. A small minority are merely indifferent, or treat them as tools. Others regard them as children, and show a certain amount of guilt over their treatment. There are limits to that, of course. As you say, a handler who refuses to deploy his cyborg wouldn’t be allowed to keep one. Many respond to the cyborgs’ devotion, but it ranges from the affection one gives a pet to the feeling one…” He blushed.

“A sister or daughter,” Mayfair said, watching him. “Or a girlfriend. A wife, even.” His eyes narrowed. “There’s more you want to say about that. It was all over your face and hands when you spoke about the handlers who treat their cyborg like a tool. As if ‘tool’ wasn’t the only word you thought to use. A very clear expression of distaste and discomfort, despite your personal feelings about the Agency’s creations. I saw that expression again, that ‘callous use’ tell, when I spoke of girlfriends and wives.”

The interviewer’s skin prickled. “None of them has ever admitted to…”

“But even an untrained man can read the signs. You’re smart not to share your interview results freely.” For someone trained to spot and interpret small tells, Antonio thought, the doctor was doing a poor job of hiding his own right now. Salles wondered if Mayfair had any real daughters of dating age, and if so, how their boyfriends fared with him. “It can’t be many, it would be impossible to hide. Only one or two, perhaps. But one would be enough to end Section Two, if the story spread to the wrong ears. Before that happened, though, I think the other handlers would deal with him.”

And not just an errant handler, Salles thought. Anyone who threatened Jean and Lorenzo's interests. "Dottore, I am not a spy. I am done with Section One. Whatever ... misgivings I have about the Agency, it is my bread and butter, and my only career ladder. And I think my uncle would be most displeased to hear someone had gone to Draghi telling stories. I-"

Doctor Mayfair said, “I am dying, Signore Salles.” After a moment of hard silence he went on, “Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Back home, we call it ‘Lou Gehrig's Disease'. It’s a strange and unpredictable affliction. Its duration can run from a few months to a decade. It can affect the whole body at once, or travel gradually up the arms or legs, as it has mine. Thank God it took first the part of me I need the least.” The crippled man leaned back in his chair. “I’m sure you know what happens to the girls eventually, if they don’t get killed on the job. Their bodies can be maintained indefinitely, but their brains deteriorate, and they cease to function. Rather like Alzheimer’s, I’m told. The second-generation girls have projected maximums of seven years, which leaves my twins about four, if they’re careful and clever. I have anywhere between one and eight.”

It hit him then. “You’re afraid of what may happen to them if you go first.”

Mayfair nodded once. “No second-generation has yet lost her handler. It is commonly assumed that it would be less traumatic for one of them than it was for Claes, but I am not too sure. But I am sure that if I die, Jean and Lorenzo won’t hesitate to rewrite the twins if they don’t readily accept another handler. I can’t let that happen.”

Salles nodded. “And so, the experimental conditioning.”
“Yes. It’s different for each, because they are each oriented on their handler in her own way. But there are a few kinks to be worked out in their treatment.” Mayfair gave the interviewer a crooked smile. “The doctors want to condition Verotrois to quickly bond with whoever Jean and Lorenzo pick for her after I am gone. Their treatments make her feel drawn to older men she thinks have ‘handler’ potential. Unfortunately, that includes many men who really are handlers. And their girls don’t approve of her attitude. It’s a source of friction, and alienates her somewhat from the other cyborgs.”

“Kristal gets along with the others very well, I hear.”

“Yes.” The doctor’s smile disappeared. “Her … closer attachment to me makes need a different treatment. Have you heard the story about her stuffed bears?” At Antonio’s nod, he went on, “It’s not the only time she has done something like that. I gave her a two-door Jeep convertible. She keeps it clean and shined and won’t let anyone else drive it. But sometimes, she will refuse to get behind the wheel for days, then suddenly begin driving again as if nothing had happened. Belisario and the others are attempting to neutralize the trauma of separation without reducing her affection for me. An unintended side effect of their hypnotic instructions is that she sometimes feels compelled to give up things she loves.”

Salles nodded. “I see. It must make working together very hard sometimes.”

“It’s better than the alternatives.”

The interviewer’s eyes dropped to the page. “On that note. Number five: What are your favorite kinds of missions?”

“Interrogations, definitely. Or covert work that allows us to accomplish our goal unnoticed or at least without threatening our cover. In short, operations involving little danger or risk. We don’t get many of those.”

“Six: What kind of missions do you dislike?”

“Bodyguard details. Raids. Any job that pulls my girls’ guns from their holsters. They are very good at that sort of thing, but skill does not promise victory – or even survival.”

Salles tapped the tabletop with his fingers as he studied the page. “I’m thinking we already covered this, but, just to recap – seven: How do you like life with the SWA?”

The doctor sighed heavily. “I’ve gotten used to it, which rather bothers me. I’m being captured by the system somewhat, I suppose – a system that I objectively despise.”

“Eight. Do you get along with the other SWA staff? Anyone particularly stand out?”

“I assume you’re not including the cyborgs as ‘staff,’” he said. “I spar verbally with Jean whenever we meet, and I think his obsession with destroying the Padania is unhealthy and self-destructive. But he’s not the only person around here who needs something better to do than stalking the Italian peninsula with a gun in his hand. On the positive side… Among the handlers, I have empathy with Victor Hilshire, and sympathy for Alessandro Ricci. Priscilla is a little sweetheart. Bianchi is the only one on the medical staff with a moral compass, as far as I can see, and he cares about the girls. The Squaddra and the GIS troop that some of the handlers send their girls to seem all right mostly. Everyone else I tolerate, some more easily than others.”

He nodded. “Nine. Dining hall: Michelin Star or slop trough?”

Mayfair scoffed and smiled. “Everything I’ve ever tried at the dining hall is worlds better than what I’m used to eating at home. I know there are good restaurants in America, but they are hard to find. Price alone will not tell you if a place serves good food, at least not in the States, and until I came here my income was not sufficient to experiment. I think Italians simply place a higher value on good food than we do in general.”

In Antonio’s estimation, ‘adequate’ was the best that could be said of the cafeteria-style eatery; he seldom ate there himself, and never on the days when the cyborgs helped prepare the meals. American standards for good dining must be very low, he thought. “Ten. Is there anything that you miss being able to do since joining the SWA?”

“Hmp. This really is a generic form, isn’t it?” He seemed to think a moment. “ I left behind nearly everything I cared about when I came to this place, as part of my agreement with Section Two. And my … condition … has closed many of my former activities to me. But I have found … other interests, and I am quite busy. I have little time for regrets.”

“Eleven. Where would you like to spend your next vacation? Have you been there before?”

“Well, the Appalachian Trail is off the bucket list. When I still had use of my legs, I once took the girls on a cruise of the Greek Isles. I think another would still be manageable.” He looked at the interviewer. “They mentioned that?”

“In passing. They both had a good time, I think.” Though Verotrois had been planning an even better one, he thought. “Twelve. Triela's teddy bear collection: appropriate for a cyborg?”

“It bothers me to think any handler has ever answered that question in the negative. Though I’m sure there have been a few, and I could probably name them.”

“Thirteen.” Salles said, apologetically, “Do you have a favorite colour?”

Mayfair smiled. “No. But I am fond of color in general.”

“Fourteen. Is there anyone, fictional or otherwise, that you admire?"

"Voltaire. Guy Fawkes. Sherlock Holmes. Travis McGee. Da Vinci. Many others. Not-conventional thinkers who lived life by their own rules.”

Antonio nodded, making a mental note to Google ‘Travis McGee’ after Mayfair left. He dropped his eyes to the bottom of the page, read, and pursed his lips. He asked hesitantly, “Fifteen. If you could choose, how would you wish to die?”

The wheelchair-bound man’s eyebrows rose. “I imagine the answer to that question is usually very short.”

The interviewer felt his brow crease. “Yes. How did you know?”

Mayfair gave a head shrug that Antonio thought more Italian than American. “The kids are conditioned not to think deeply about death, especially their own. And the handlers ….” His mouth worked a moment. “A man who is not a monster, yet can rationalize the enslavement of little girls, must have a great deal of practice shutting away unpleasant thoughts.” He looked over Antonio’s shoulder at the blank wall. “In bed, in my sleep. After a quiet and pleasant evening at home. A good meal, good wine, and the girls for company. A nice selection of music in the background. Just lie back on the pillows with one of them on each arm, with my belly full of food and drink and barbiturates, and drift off. That would be the best, I think.”

Antonio’s flesh prickled from his scalp down his back and arms. “Signore. You are not talking about …”
The distant look in the man’s eyes disappeared. “What? No, no. I wasn’t talking about taking them with me, of course not. I wouldn’t even allow them to be with me at the end, really, no matter how I go. I was just indulging in a little fantasy, Antonio.”

Salles nodded. “Of course.”

Mayfair had arranged to meet his cyborgs after the ‘interview,’ but it had run longer than he intended, and he saw them waiting at the end of the crooked hall, just out of sight of Salles’s door. As he rolled toward them, he could hear their voices echoing down the corridor. “There’s nothing wrong with your tail light,” he heard Verotrois say.

“I know.”

“Our young Carabinieri must have a thing for blondes. He didn’t give me a second look. Why did you introduce me as your ‘younger sister’? You woke up two whole minutes before I did.”

“And those are two minutes I’ll always treasure.”

The girls turned and moved to join him when he was still ten meters away. Kristal took the handles of the wheelchair. “Well?”
“Well,” the handler said, “I don’t think I really gave him any reassurance.”

Verotrois snorted. “I knew you wouldn’t, once you met him. You gave him the Count Cagliostro routine, didn’t you?” In a deep melodramatic voice she said, “‘You cannot lie to me, Antonio Salles. I have powers of perception beyond the understanding of normal men. The wattles under your chin reveal more than you can ever imagine.’”

Kristal bent low over her handler’s shoulder and spoke quietly, although it was of course impossible to actually exclude her sister from the conversation. “You told him something,” she said into his ear. “Something personal and secret, that you wish you hadn’t.”

“I won’t bother to deny it.” Mayfair stared straight ahead. “But, as your handler, I forbid you to pursue it, by any means.”

Unseen by her handler, Kristal flicked a glance at her sister, who had not technically been part of the exchange, and thus had not been included in Doc’s injunction; the dark-haired girl lowered her lashes a millimeter, not looking at either of them. It was enough.
Kay straightened. “Yes, sir,” she said, not daring more, and began to push him down the hall .
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronic Guardian on Thu 18 Aug 2016 - 14:11

Jumping in on this madness like a lunatic (because, seriously, who wants to follow up the Mayfair interview?), but I've gotta start somewhere, right? Dual Trigger isn't gonna explain itself...

[Handler interview for Laguna Loire. Please read with scrutiny as Mr. Loire's views have been shown to deviate from reality occasionally]

Sure, why not! My name's Laguna, or sometimes Mr. Loire. Depends on who's asking. Between you and me, I don't like that formal stuff but some folks just can't get by without it. I'm working as a handresser in Section 2 and...

...What? Yeah, a handler. Didn't I say that? Sorry, guess I need to work on my pronunciation! I used to be from Portugal before--well, actually, I'm still from Portugal now that I think about it. That's kinda a funny way to put it, huh?

Anyway, I'm Portuguese. I did my dues in the service. Coast guard, actually. We had a few run ins with pirates now and then. When my commission was up I went into travelling journalism. That's sort of how I ended up here, I guess. Someone paid me to poke my nose into something about girls with guns. I'm not one-hundred percent sure on all the details, but Director Lorenzo said I work for you guys now so... I just kinda went along with it. Now that I'm here, me an' my girl do investigation business now and then. Information gathering, person tracking, that kinda thing. Every now and then we have to nab someone. I think that's why I'm here, to make sure Quis doesn't kill 'em on the way back. That girl's good, but she's not exactly gentle. There was this one time when-

Oh? That's good for the question? Great! What's next? 

Not a whole lot, to be honest. Quis takes the meds just like the other kids, I guess. Once tried to hide them, kind of as a joke, and she went bananas on me. Then I had a talk with the Director and Jean and I haven't messed with the stuff ever since.

...But yeah, it's pretty much all over my head.

I actually met Quis a little before the whole cyborg conversion thing. She was French, orphaned, didn't like staying in the group homes. She didn't really have a whole lot of time to talk about it, but I figure she wasn't really happy with life. I mean, the whole getting kidnapped thing aside.

...What? The kidnapping? Yeah, she got kidnapped by these guys who were bringin' her an' a bunch of other girls to Italy. I started the trail as a child trafficking lead, then it morphed into the whole "child assassin's" investigation. I actually thought you guys were the ones taking 'em. I mean, that was before I actually knew you though, you know? Anyway, point is, it wasn't a SWA operation. They treated her pretty bad though. She was critical when we got her out of there. After that, she claimed emancipated minor status and volunteered herself for cyborg conversion-not really a common thing from what I'm told.

That's okay though, 'cause now she gets to work with me!

I like Quis, I think she's a good kid. Kinda mechanical every now an' then, but living in a place like this would probably do that to you. That's why it's my job to help her break loose every now an' then, ya know?

Relationship-wise, I'm kinda like that fun uncle you get sent to live with when your parents don't really know what to do with you. I mean, I'm not like her dad, I'm more like... well... you know that guy who first treats you like an adult when everyone else still tells you you're a kid? I'd say I'm that guy.

I think she takes it pretty well.

Every mission gives a good opportunity to go new places and make new friends, right? Well, okay, maybe not the friends part, Jean did have a long talk with me about that. Apparently it's bad for our cover. I don't see how, though. I mean, usually I'm supposed to play the part of the hapless tourist anyway so to me it just adds authenticity. Quistis knows how to blend while I play distraction. Anytime we get to do that, I'd say we're both happy.

Oh, and escort stuff! I love getting to know the guy we're protecting. It's almost like a captive interview, you know? They can't ditch you because it's literally your job to be with them at all times.

I wonder why we don't get those kinda missions so much anymore...

I'm not really a big fan of going solo on an assault mission. I mean, give me a CO to shoot the orders and were good, but I don't actually know how to do these things other than running in, guns blazing.

...Which has worked surprisingly well so far.

Once you get over being stripped of civil liberties, it's actually pretty nice! Steady pay, nice coworkers, lots to learn. I just wish they wouldn't tamper with my corrospondence...

I think we're all on good terms. Jean's kinda stiff, but that's just what boss-guys like him gotta do. I spent a weekend hanging out with some of the support guys, I think they're my favorites. Not as gloom-n-doomy as the handlers.

Eh... It's pretty good. although the dessert menu is kinda flat. They let me use the kitchen though, so I've shown 'em how we do it back in Portugal. I think good things could happen.

Well, I do miss bein' back home. I've got a few friends I like to write to that I won't be able to see until this gig is up. The whole government regulations thing gets old pretty fast, but overall you just learn to cope with it.

I'm thinkin' somewhere in East Europe would be cool. I haven't ever really been there so it'd be nice to see what the people there are like. Try new food, learn new customs, maybe get Quis to live a little, you know?

I think the bigger question is why you think it's appropriate to talk about Triela as just a cyborg. I mean, yeah, sure, they've got metal and science goobly-gook under the skin, but what's under that? A machine doesn't need teddy bears, but I think it's just fine for the part of her that's still a little girl.

Er... young lady? How old is she again? Maybe little girl isn't the best word for her...

Bluish-turquoisian... umm... the color of the ocean.

In particular? I dunno. I kind of like to think I appreciate everyone I meet. There's a little something to admire in everyone, right? Sometimes it just takes a little digging.

...I... Umm...
To be honest... I guess I'd like to die saving someone important. I mean, live and let live, yeah. I just... I get the feeling people don't really take me seriously sometimes. If I could show them I really mean it, I think that'd be nice.
If the war's over, though, I'd like to die in the arms of a lovely wife, taking our last breath together on a beach at sunset. If it has to be in peace, I think that'd be a beautiful way to go.
At the end of it all, I'm more interested in what comes next.

...Was that too lighthearted?
Chronic Guardian

Male

Forum Posts : 76

Fan of : Rico, Alphonso, and various writers of tremendous talent

Original Characters : Originality? CG has none of that.

Comments : CG is to the GsG fandom as Puddleglum is to Marshwiggles. He's not that much more cheerful, but certainly enough to warrant an exile.

Registration date : 2016-07-03
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Thu 18 Aug 2016 - 16:03

Beautiful, Chronic. Laguna has so much joi de vie. I doubt he has an enemy in the whole Agency (excepting those churls who can't get along with anybody at all), and I bet he's a favorite of the cyborgs. You just know Triela loves him.

Claes isn't going to be happy with his opinion of the dining hall's dessert selection, though.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 20 Aug 2016 - 4:31

Well those two are certainly a contrast to read one after the other. Not different in the entirety mind, but it's certainly interesting to juxtapose them against each other.

We're used to seeing Doc quietly interrogating whoever he's talking to, not so much to perhaps see him accidentally(?) overstep the line as well. Watching the two personalities present however made for an enjoyable read.

As to Laguna...
Chronic Guardian wrote:Every mission gives a good opportunity to go new places and make new friends, right?
"Join the SWA. Meet new people. Kill them."

He really does appear to be a bit, how to say... he really doesn't fit the stock handler mould does he? I could see him being the cause for some level of hair pulling among the more serious minded staff. =P

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronic Guardian on Sat 20 Aug 2016 - 10:59

Alfisti wrote:
Chronic Guardian wrote:Every mission gives a good opportunity to go new places and make new friends, right?
"Join the SWA. Meet new people. Kill them."

He really does appear to be a bit, how to say... he really doesn't fit the stock handler mould does he? I could see him being the cause for some level of hair pulling among the more serious minded staff. =P

He's more talking about the people you meet on the street before all the gunfire starts, but I'd bet Laguna's not above trying to relate to a mark after they've captured him. Besides, when it comes down to it, Laguna doesn't really see why grunts can't be reasoned with. That's part of why Quistis is there, to interject with an M4 before he goes off the deep end.

But yeah, not your usual fare. Kind of like "if Rico were a handler" in a sense. He's the kind of guy who brings donuts to the office and remembers everyone's birthday but still isn't really cut out for the job. As we've noted, he was kind of shoehorned into the operation by one of their sponsors. That's not to say he's not remarkably well adjusted, all things considered, just that he definitely wasn't chosen as a good work-culture fit.

Technically, it wouldn't be hair pulling, but I'd love to see a back and forth between Laguna and Danilo someday (yes, CG just made a bald joke about Danilo). I mean, it'd obviously be alternate-alternate universe since they don't exist in eachother's timelines, but I still think Laguna's indomitable cheer would be fun to play against Danilo's indomitable self-assurance. As it stands, he'll have to settle for being a pain in the collective necks of Jean, Lorenzo, Marco, and anyone else who thinks he's "doing it wrong". Man, Raballo would have a field day...

...Was that too lighthearted?
Chronic Guardian

Male

Forum Posts : 76

Fan of : Rico, Alphonso, and various writers of tremendous talent

Original Characters : Originality? CG has none of that.

Comments : CG is to the GsG fandom as Puddleglum is to Marshwiggles. He's not that much more cheerful, but certainly enough to warrant an exile.

Registration date : 2016-07-03
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sat 20 Aug 2016 - 13:32

As it stands, he'll have to settle for being a pain in the collective necks of Jean, Lorenzo, Marco, and anyone else who thinks he's "doing it wrong". Man, Raballo would have a field day...

Not to mention Lauro. That is, if you could get him to care how other handlers treat their cyborgs.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 21 Aug 2016 - 1:12

Chronic Guardian wrote:He's more talking about the people you meet on the street before all the gunfire starts...
To be fair, knowing the SWA precedent for dealing with observers, if they're still around when the gunfire starts they may be just as liable to find themselves on the end of Q's M4 as anyone else in the area...

Chronic Guardian wrote:Technically, it wouldn't be hair pulling, but I'd love to see a back and forth between Laguna and Danilo someday (yes, CG just made a bald joke about Danilo). I mean, it'd obviously be alternate-alternate universe since they don't exist in eachother's timelines, but I still think Laguna's indomitable cheer would be fun to play against Danilo's indomitable self-assurance.
Hmm, that could be fun. I'd probably work better with early Danilo though, as he had mellowed a bit toward the end of MiI. That said, I suspect Laguna's lackadaisical attitude would drive him up the wall.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by M240B on Fri 11 Aug 2017 - 18:10

(Things in this will change later, but as of this time, he's only been here a week)

*takes a long sip of water, before folding his arms across his chest and reclining in his seat* My name is Nicholas Castor, I was with The Regiment for almost ten years, and an infantryman before that. I'm...what's the term? Well I know I'm a handler, but there was an actual name for it. 'Conflict Resolution Officer' or something. Dunno. 

As for why I got here? One of your guys, Marchello, managed to contact *my* boss in the Regiment, and I got roped in with him and his...charge...to eliminate a Daesh cell. Considering I got a first hand glimpse of what he and his friend there could do, I guess your boss thought I knew too much, so here I am. Again, I don't know jack, I'd have been just as fine signing an NDA and getting out of dodge, but I guess you lot wanted me.

Just enough to take the edge off and keep her attentive. I don't believe in chemical brainwashing or what have you. I prefer good ol' indoc, the way it was for me. I want to show her how to do things, drill it into her mind myself. Your methods have merit, sure, I can't tell you not to do it, but I prefer having some room for flex.

To be honest, nothing about her past seems to matter anymore, but the fact that she didn't have a dad to talk to or to go to for advice, or for discipline, that one gets my attention. Kids need that in their lives, and a father figure can fill that role. Friend, teacher, or punisher. 

She's a good one, aye, but she's not really soldier material. Aside from the upgrades you gave her, she's still not physically conditioned as much as I'd like out of one of my soldiers, so we'll be making up for that with extra physical training. I've also noticed that she's very...competitive, to say the least. *he scratches at his stubble* 

Dunno what our relationship is like right now, but I do know that I have her complete and undivided attention whenever I talk to her about something, good or bad.

Raids. That was always fun to do, especially raids on ships, gets the adrenaline flowing pretty good.

Wetwork never sat well with me. Don't get me wrong, I'd do it, for queen and country and all that, but if I had a choice, no.

We'll have to see, but you lot are a good group of people, so far. 

Haven't met many others just yet, aside from Frederic. He seems like a nice guy.

Bah, it's chow to me. 

I miss my mates, well and truly, that's it. Oh, and you don't have my kind of beer.

Abu Dhabi sounds nice this time of year. Closest I've been is to Dubai once, though.

Who is Triela? I mean, I dunno. I let Gemma keep a few beanie babies around.

Hah, cobalt. Simple, innit?

James Bond, for fictional characters, but in reality, it'd be my old Maths teacher, Miss Neumann

I know this is some Viking stuff, but in battle, preferably.

Ergo ego spiro existo
M240B

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Mon 14 Aug 2017 - 20:03

You wouldn't be the first to provide more than one 'Interview' for a given individual, to show how life at the Agency has changed them. Be sure to include a link to the original post when you do.

Nicholas seems an accepting sort - being pulled from his familiar surroundings and plunged into a clandestine world of counter-terror agents and cybernetic murder machines fashioned from dead children seems to be something he's taken in stride, unless he got all of that out of his system when he was working with Marchello and Marzia. It would be interesting to share his impressions of the canon characters as he meets them.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum