Hereford?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hereford?

Post by Verisus on Tue 10 May 2011 - 4:56

Okay, I don't know if this has been discussed before, (couldn't find any topics regarding it), but after re-reading some chapters I found myself wondering. What exactly was or is happening in Hereford with which Giorgio and Amadeo could "flex some muscle"? I know that the British SAS called it home until the late 90s, but I wouldn't have thought that fits in with the GSG timeline (varely sure it all occurs post 2000 at least)

I'm curious as to what's happening in England and the rest of the world in the story.

Then again, it may be one of those off hand comments that have no real significance.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/gunslinger_girl/v002/c011/28.html
Verisus

Male

Forum Posts : 27

Fan of : Rico

Registration date : 2011-03-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Hereford?

Post by Nachtsider on Tue 10 May 2011 - 5:01

Remember, England and Italy are NATO allies. It's not at all inconceivable for Italian special forces to make trips there for cross-training. Heck, the Americans do it often, so why not closer neighbors?

The SAS still use Hereford for maneuvers from time to time. Jean sent Amadeo and Georgio there as punishment for their brawling - probably signed them up for some back-breaking training exercise, such as those that the Saber Squadrons are wont to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Tue 10 May 2011 - 5:11

Addendum. If you want to use this little snippet as a window for the creation of fanon scenarios where the SAS are aware of the Agency and work closely with them, where British-Italian technology transfer (read: cybernetics) occurs, and where Britain comes up with their own equivalent of the Agency, go right ahead. Go hog-wild, in fact. I heartily approve. Very Happy

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Verisus on Tue 10 May 2011 - 5:19

I considered that (and it's probably right), but I didn't think Giorgio, who'd been itching for something to do, would consider it a great punishment. Amadeo certainly would, but Giorgio would probably consider suspension with no work at all a worse punishment in comparison to training with the SAS.

I know it's probably something minor, like back-breaking training or something like that, but I've always thought that the GSG world has had more going on in it than just the events in Italy and I'm curious as to what's happening in other countries.
Verisus

Male

Forum Posts : 27

Fan of : Rico

Registration date : 2011-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer on Tue 10 May 2011 - 5:29

Hereford is certainly known the spiritual home of Them - although 22 SAS has moved to Credenhill, the village is only about three miles out of Hereford and They moved into the old RAF Hereford station. While Hereford has a reputation for being full of drunks because one of its major industries is cider production, earnings there are a good 50% over the national average, and it's a historic cathedral city and market town - far from a wild and disconsolate backwoods hovel, which may have been what Yu imagined it would be (although I suppose if you're a cosmopolitan urban Italian, everywhere else is considered to be the boonies).

Perhaps Jean envisioned Amadeo and Giorgio being bussed to Pen Y Fan and spending several weeks struggling around the Brecon Beacons with Them as part of Their training as a way of punishment. The weather there is very... bracing.

It'd certainly help work out their excess energy.

PASSION LIVES HERE
Prose Stories
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Tue 10 May 2011 - 6:25

As someone who lives in Hereford,the reputation of a town full of drunks is to a certain extent deserved - on a weekend night, anyway.

You can usually tell who the SAS guys are because they tend to jog miles and miles, are not too big, wiry, and, despite not being in uniform, are lugging around a rucksack bigger than they are

The only soldiers you do see in uniform are the ones in the recruiting office and on the gate of Stirling lines (they moved the name along with the base).

Hereford is only isolated because it has no motorway access ,but it does have several A roads going through it and a grand old Victorian railway station (which is ridiculously oversized for the use it gets today, so much so the upper floors been vacant and available to rent for 10 years).

It's worth noting that the SAS is currently having trouble getting recruits, largely because most of the army is deployed and they can't get them back to test them...

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer on Tue 10 May 2011 - 7:39

I was on a training camp at Grantham once when the UKSFR came round to ask if any of us wanted to join Them. I took one look at the promotional video of Them struggling up wind-blasted Welsh mountainsides and promptly went "...fuck that." sweat

PASSION LIVES HERE
Prose Stories
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 10 May 2011 - 13:19

Maybe Jean sent them out to get some practice in with Rainbow...

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10896

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Tue 10 May 2011 - 13:57

Kiskaloo wrote:Maybe Jean sent them out to get some practice in with Rainbow...

trust me it's not that exciting here,to be honest if you didn't know they were here you couldn't tell, like i said it's not a typical squaddie town,theres no obvious presence of the military in town and you rarely see military vehicles,and most of the ex SAS guys are to busy writing novels to be doing anything undercover ! Doh!

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum