Otakon 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Otakon 2011

Post by Entropy on Sat 28 May 2011 - 0:55

I know it's early in terms of date, but pre-registration does end soon so I was wondering if anyone else was going or thinking about going. It's been a while since I've con'd (high school to be the last time), so it should be an interesting change of pace for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MASH THIS LINK
Entropy

Male

Forum Posts : 347

Original Characters : Livia/Nero

Comments : The wonderful human being previously known as tsundere357

Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Otakon 2011

Post by Triela on Sat 28 May 2011 - 1:05

Ohhh I wish I could go!!! ;__; I've never been to Otakon before. It's not that far from me either. My sister when twice and she loved it. D:

I want to make plans to go next year. :3 Maybe a lot of us can plan ahead so a group of us can meet.

Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2720

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Thu 2 Jun 2011 - 21:20

Entropy I am planning on going down to otokon if you go we can try and meet up at the madness
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1532

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 12:41

@crazyidiot78 wrote:Entropy I am planning on going down to otokon if you go we can try and meet up at the madness

That's cool. We can talk more when the date gets closer I guess.

MASH THIS LINK
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 17:50

Entropy I'm all registered so it looks like its a go
crazyidiot78

Male

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 0:52

And what about Anime Expo 2011? It located in L.A.

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy on Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 9:32

Sorry, I should have said Otakon is in Baltimore, Maryland. It's the second biggest anime convention next to Anime Expo and is by far the biggest on the east coast. Going to the west coast cons is a little out of my reach.

MASH THIS LINK
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 13:36

Baltimore? Wow, it just so happens I'll be in the Chesapeake Bay area the last week in July...I would love to drop in if you don't mind one more.

Jet: "Betrayal may come easily to women, but men live by iron codes of honor."
Faye: "You really believe that?"
Jet: "I'm trying to. Real hard."
theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 22:09

works for me. The more the merrier
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 22:09

i plan to come in to baltimore thursday night and stay through sun for the con
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy on Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 23:09

@theprodigalson wrote:Baltimore? Wow, it just so happens I'll be in the Chesapeake Bay area the last week in July...I would love to drop in if you don't mind one more.

Come and knock on our door...

Anyway I'll be there mainly on Saturday, I won't be there at all on Friday and I might stick around a while on Sunday, not sure. Saturday for sure, though.

MASH THIS LINK
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Tue 21 Jun 2011 - 10:32

Awesome. I may or may not be in Friday, definitely Saturday, and will be gone Sunday.

theprodigalson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Wed 22 Jun 2011 - 20:53

I'll be there all three days so just let me know when you guys are around.
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sun 31 Jul 2011 - 19:51

Well the meet up went off with out a hitch for CI, TPS, and Entropy. Sorry we lost you at some point Entropy but a good time was had by all. I have a picture of TPS and myself once I figure out how to post it. If you guys are ever in NJ let me know and I'll roll out the red carpet for ya. Best part was the unussual manga pannel and the Trigun and Haruhi movies on Sat.
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy on Sun 31 Jul 2011 - 20:12

I didn't really mean to lose any of you, but I think our interests in the convention may have differed a bit. I did keep an eye out for you for the rest of the time, but it would be easy to lose an elephant in that thick crowd of people. Anyway I enjoyed at least going to one panel with you all and talking with you. I only really took two pictures, though, because my camera crapped out on me on Saturday ;_;

There'll be tons of pictures of the various costumes, though. It was a great time. I'll post my pics in the cosplay thread.

Other swag and items purchased was a signed K-On poster as well as a signed first volume of the manga by all the English VA cast for the new K-On dub. I also went to the "concert", which was cheesy as hell but at least they sung the Japanese versions of the songs (though they do have English versions too). I also got a very well done Madoka-themed artbook from an artist known as Lavender-Ice (as well as other artists). The biggest haul of the day, though, was an autographed doujin series by Yositoshi ABe (my favorite character artist, wrote Haibane Renmei and Niea 7, as well as designs for Lain, Welcome to the NHK, Texnolyze) from a collector. The series is Yakkokyu no Pochiyama-san (Pochiyama's Pharmacy), a three-book doujin.

MASH THIS LINK
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sun 31 Jul 2011 - 20:54

No problem Entropy we kinda figured that. TPS and I checked out the Rumihiko Takahashi pannel after failing to get into anime mythbusters, don't ask me to much about the pannel though as I kinda slept through a good part of it stayed up way to late the previous night. We did check out the Trigun Rumble in the Badlands movie and The Dissapearance of Haruhi Susimiya both were excellent. I hadn't seen trigun since college and it had everything that makes trigun trigun. Now I knew a fiar bit about Haruhi but I am not what you call a fan but the movie was great and now I plan to get the series and such.
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sun 31 Jul 2011 - 21:09

As for Friday spent almost the entire time in pannels and it was awsome gundam, evangelion, macross, godzilla, comedians. Scored the complete highschool of the dead and both seasons of code geass for cheap. Loved all the art books and such but since I can't read japanese kinda passed on those although there was a really cool macross frontier that is right up your ally piero. Model kits were also good but nothing in the high grade and macross frontier or gundam seed seeing as i am a novice with those.

Sunday was also a blast with the more academic pannels on education and anime and how to criticaly study anime. Saw some awsome costume and got some good pics (San from Princess Monoke, Belldandy OMG, and Motoko from Ghost in the shell) but I dont quite know how to post them yet
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson on Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:43

Damn, sorry I missed those panels on Sunday - that would have been right up my alley...

I had a fantastic time on Saturday though - felt pretty depressed when I got in the car actually. It was a rough trip home Razz.

Yeah, sorry we ended up doing our own things Entropy. You clearly knew what you wanted to do though and I can't speak for CI, but I was just kind of there to do whatever. We should have come up with a better plan. It all worked out though - seems like you cleaned house!

The Rumihiko Takahashi panel was alright I guess. I wasn't too familiar with her work so I spent most of the time listening to the cheers and laughter coming from the Anime Mythbusters panel we didnt get into next door. Oh well.

Like CI said - both of the movies were a blast. I was more engrossed in the Haruhi movie I think, but Trigun was a thrilling ride. I think they said that was the English dub debut for "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" too.

All in all, I'm going to label my first Con a great success and plan on doing it bigger next year!

Here CI and I are waiting for one of the movies to start. Sorry about poor picture quality...took it with a phone turned backwards. I'm the goofy looking one...50-50 is the best you're going to get Razz.

Last edited by theprodigalson on Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 21:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added photo)

theprodigalson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content