Why not a new handler ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why not a new handler ?

Post by kadnax on Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 11:35

When handler are killed, why don't they be replaced by an other one ? They use "reinitialisation" several times on the cyborgs, so why don't they use this technology to give them new handlers when they lost them ? Just forget the last one and continue with the next.
kadnax

Male

Forum Posts : 18

Fan of : Gunslinger girl

Original Characters : Me

Comments : I'am everywhere

Registration date : 2011-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Why not a new handler ?

Post by theprodigalson on Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 11:59

Maybe the process of conditioning a person to "love" someone is too trying on the mind to repeat. They can kind of erase the previous subject, but to implant a new one might destroy the cyborgs psyche.

Or perhaps the dosage of the conditioning drug erodes the brain too much to repeat multiple times. The girls have a much shortened lifespan as it is. A second process might flat kill them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jet: "Betrayal may come easily to women, but men live by iron codes of honor."
Faye: "You really believe that?"
Jet: "I'm trying to. Real hard."
theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 13:31

The medical staff stated that it is not possible for at least a first generation cyborg to bond with a new handler. That is why Claes became a test subject as they could not pair her with another handler after Captain Raballo.

On the flip side, we know you can erase the memory of a handler, as all the girls had their memories of Captain Raballo erased. *

* - This is my view, but it is because I cannot believe that the girls are capable of keeping the secret, especially Triela, who sees first hand Claes' battles with repressed memories of Captain Raballo.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10901

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 26 Aug 2011 - 3:37

I guess I couldn't see any reason why not... perhaps when Raballo was off'd they didn't have the technology at that stage to do it? Or possibly the medical staff saw an opportunity and took it?

I dunno... I know it's something that's been played with by a couple of people in fan-fiction... though in at least one case it has been more a matter of making the cyborg a sort of "loaner".

As to Kisk's point about the girls having Raballo struck from their memories: I'm inclined to agree. Even if they were capable of keeping the secret, the Agency would probably view it as good insurance.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5765

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Fri 26 Aug 2011 - 22:47

@Kiskaloo wrote:on the flip side, we know you can erase the memory of a handler, as all the girls had their memories of Captain Raballo erased. *

* - This is my view, but it is because I cannot believe that the girls are capable of keeping the secret, especially Triela, who sees first hand Claes' battles with repressed memories of Captain Raballo.
I agree that this is the most likely answer to something that never gets addressed in canon...in fact I have a scene in one of my stories where Victor Hillshire reminisces that Triela suffered a Marisa-style anxiety attack a few hours after seeing Claes get the bad news. Following this there was no doubt that she should have her memory wiped of Raballo.

However; if I may direct your attention to an esoteric source...

In the GSG Drama CD there is a clear case of Triela remembering a time when Claes had a handler.
The Translation wrote: Triela: I vaguely/dimly remember. Claes’s glasses were a gift from her handler. When her handler died, her heart/soul broke. So the Agency decided to wipe reset her memory and stole away all her memories. It was cruel, but necessary/the right decision. Since then, Claes’s peaceful/serene life began. She passes her days in the same way/decided pattern. Participating in cybernetic development experiments’, reading a book, while watering and tending her personal vegetable garden she would read a book. Every day is unchanging/the same. Now that I think about it, I’ve never seen Claes get mad since she began wearing glasses.
Honestly though, it's too impractical to change my mind. This is an interesting tidbit but I'd still rate its canonacity pretty low.

I saw a werewolf drinking a Piña Colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3422

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Fri 26 Aug 2011 - 22:53

... It DOES present an interesting alternative... not so much wiping Raballo's memory from ALL the girls as it is planting a suggestion in their minds that what the Agency did to Claesd was right and proper, and that they shouldn't worry about it...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1470

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Sat 27 Aug 2011 - 5:10

um, improved conditioning tech. Could this lead to 'handler swapping'?
(picture the handlers in a hallway looking at their monthly postings:)
Jose: 'Lesse, what's the schedule say this month? October, I get Marissa, nice.'
Fernando: 'Kara, this should be interesting.'
Elio: 'Ayden 'the Foodie'?! Oh boy. I better not see any Éclairs tucked away in her jacket when were on a mission.'
Salvatore: 'Triela the so-called Princess. Heh, I'll smack that crown right off her head.'
Olga: 'Rachael? Great, I'll teach her soccer!'
Sandro: 'Helen? Aw, man when am I gonna get Monty?'
Jean: 'Emile well, if we have to stay at a hotel and she screams at night, I'll probably have to jack up the meds.'
Lauro: 'Henrietta, Rico, etc, who cares, whatever......' Holier-than-thou
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1973

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo on Mon 29 Aug 2011 - 17:32

@tremec6speed wrote:um, improved conditioning tech. Could this lead to 'handler swapping'?
(picture the handlers in a hallway looking at their monthly postings:)
Jose: 'Lesse, what's the schedule say this month? October, I get Marissa, nice.'
Fernando: 'Kara, this should be interesting.'
Elio: 'Ayden 'the Foodie'?! Oh boy. I better not see any Éclairs tucked away in her jacket when were on a mission.'
Salvatore: 'Triela the so-called Princess. Heh, I'll smack that crown right off her head.'
Olga: 'Rachael? Great, I'll teach her soccer!'
Sandro: 'Helen? Aw, man when am I gonna get Monty?'
Jean: 'Emile well, if we have to stay at a hotel and she screams at night, I'll probably have to jack up the meds.'
Lauro: 'Henrietta, Rico, etc, who cares, whatever......'
Alessandro: Hmmm...looks like I've got Henrietta this month.

Giuseppe: (concerned) Umm, Sandro, just so you know; if there's a thunderstorm and she crawls into bed with you it's not what you think.

Alessandro: Damn it, I kiss Petra in the piano room once and you bastards have all got me branded H. Humbert!

I saw a werewolf drinking a Piña Colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3422

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Mon 29 Aug 2011 - 18:50

The problem is that conditioning half the time seems like a pick and choose process (the firearms training) as well as a more overarching, uncontrollable process that wipes memories regardless of what they are. In that sense, it's very inconsistent and hard to understand. The only thing we know for sure is that it's hella bad for them

And like a newborn child or animal, their "innocent" state after a thorough condition is vulnerable to dependency, like "impressioning" on a parent. It's straight to the core, the psyche. And that's something that nothing short of crippling conditioning can wipe out.

The reason they have to re-condition after a gunfight or huge injuries is because the body's individual organs, muscles and bones are actually tied strongly into your conscious mind. This is why amputees have phantom pains, and an artificial limb, simply a mechanical linkage or a full-on, sci fi part needs time to work in and become used to your body... or it might be rejected entirely.

Personally, I think conditioning is an evil, evil thing, and that swapping handlers like that would probably be more pain than the girls deserve...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” -Albert Einstein
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of : N/A

Original Characters : N/A

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by razschi on Thu 1 Sep 2011 - 7:31

The problem is they are dealing with human beings here... You can reinstall the operating system on a PC how many times you want. However the process of "rebooting" on the human is not only much more dangerous but also complicated.

In other words, since the girls were already programed to love their handlers in such a strong way, it is nearly even if entirely impossible to take that feeling away from them. Feeling are not softwares that you can install, reinstall or uninstall wherever you want, whenever you want.

Just a theory... Smile
razschi

Male

Forum Posts : 72

Fan of : Henrietta and Angelica

Original Characters : Claudia

Comments : We need more ammo!

Registration date : 2011-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content