Striker unit ideas

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Striker unit ideas

Post by JameyoftheMegacosmos on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 16:08

Been looking through a little more on Strike Witches. Saw that the Striker units resemble WWII planes and modern jets in the fan projects. However, I was wondering if any one ever thought of striker units for fictional ships?

For my ideas and for clearer understanding, I was thinking of doing designs of Striker units resembling the Ikaruga (Ikaruga), the Silvergun (Radiant Silvergun), and the Raiden (Raiden series).

Last edited by JameyoftheMegacosmos on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 17:44; edited 1 time in total

JameyoftheMegacosmos

Male

Forum Posts : 167

Fan of : Crossovers

Original Characters : Henrietta and Jose

Comments : Very interested in the series. Like to learn more.

Registration date : 2011-08-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Striker unit ideas

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 17:20

X-Wing Fighter. No contest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 17:32

I've never seen Strike Witches but...
@Nachtsider wrote:X-Wing Fighter. No contest.
...what he said.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5739

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by JameyoftheMegacosmos on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 17:41

What do you mean by "no constest"? Like it'll be the most powerful Striker unit or just a simple answer?

JameyoftheMegacosmos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 18:12

When I say 'no contest', I mean that it's hands down what I'd most like to see.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 18:38

.... FUND IT! And a Viper, and a Gunstar too! *laughs* Although I feel bad for the poor witch who has a TIE fighter striker... *chuckles*

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1470

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 18:43

Not all TIE fighters were flying death traps. Vader's TIE and the Defender series were pretty good starfighters.

Suddenly, I'm starting to wonder what a TIE-based Striker unit might look like.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JameyoftheMegacosmos on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 18:49

What about the Ikaruga?

Well...maybe not unless the Witches and/or the Neuroi use the polarity mechanics. Only THEN, likely regradless who's its enemy, an Ikargua Striker unit or the ship itself would kick their asses! (Hope I'm breaking the rules droping the a-bomb)

JameyoftheMegacosmos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JameyoftheMegacosmos on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 22:31

@Nachtsider wrote:Not all TIE fighters were flying death traps. Vader's TIE and the Defender series were pretty good starfighters.

Suddenly, I'm starting to wonder what a TIE-based Striker unit might look like.

I think the TIE Fighter/Bomber/Interceptor would be better fit for the Neuroi or maybe the Human-Form Neuroi. Don't forget about A-Wings, Y-Wings, and B-Wings!

What about other fictional ship besides the ones in Star Wars? Maybe like Gradius? Dodonpachi? Crimson Skies? Galaxian series, Galaga, and Xevious (well, not exactly sure about that)?

Also, I've recently been doing my design for the Ikaruga Striker unit. You can criticize, but I'm doing the Air mode as a regular fighter and it's Land mode like powered exoskeletion on stilts. What else could I do when the wings extend further back than the engines? I know that male Witches are rarer and weaker, but I'd do one anyway since the Ikaruga's pilot, Shinra, is male. However, there is another ship similar to the Ikaruga called the Ginikei, which is piloted by a female pilot, Kagari.

JameyoftheMegacosmos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 23:35

@JameyoftheMegacosmos wrote:I know that male Witches are rarer and weaker, but I'd do one anyway since the Ikaruga's pilot, Shinra, is male.
Do away with the 'weaker' thing, since it's sexist as all hell. Give us a Warlock who can equal or outclass any of his female counterparts.

An Ikaruga Striker unit would be amazing. Post your art here once it's done!

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 0:39

colonial viper,or earth alliance starfury(have to be the Thunderbolt version,as it has wings !)

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela on Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 2:35

You my good sir are a genius. On Cloud 9

AWWWWW YEAHHHH
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2723

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 4:04

@Nachtsider wrote:Suddenly, I'm starting to wonder what a TIE-based Striker unit might look like.

I'm guessing it would look like a sleeker version of Darth Maul's warhorse.

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2559

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 4:06

Echoing a few others here: a Colonial Viper would pretty awesome, particularly if the witch in question is pulling Viper-style stunts as well.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 5:39

Witch Kara Starbuck? *evil grin*

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1470

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 6:28

@Officer_Charon wrote:Witch Kara Starbuck? *evil grin*
...ah yes... the only "Stabuck" I actually like Razz

I might actually watch that version...

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JameyoftheMegacosmos on Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 6:36

@Nachtsider wrote:
@JameyoftheMegacosmos wrote:I know that male Witches are rarer and weaker, but I'd do one anyway since the Ikaruga's pilot, Shinra, is male.
Do away with the 'weaker' thing, since it's sexist as all hell. Give us a Warlock who can equal or outclass any of his female counterparts.

An Ikaruga Striker unit would be amazing. Post your art here once it's done!

Thatnks for your support on the art. I'll do my best on it.

Warlocks, I'm guessing those are male versions of Witches, right? Who knows? Maybe I COULD do Shinra himself controlling the Striker Unit. Not sure what would be his familiar would be though. Maybe a Japanese Grosbeak or something? Because that's what Ikaruga translates to.

As I said, not exactly sure how effective it would be unless the Witches/Neuroi use the polarity mechanic. Or maybe Humans and Neuroi can BE the polarities? Well, if that was the case, then rider of the Ikaruga Striker unit would mostly be a Human-Form Neuroi. And not excatly sure since Witches can use their shields to block Neuroi attacks.

JameyoftheMegacosmos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JameyoftheMegacosmos on Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 17:28

Been working on more of the Ikaruga Striker Unit. I was also thinking of Humans/Witches being like the white polarity and Neuroi like the black polarity.
It's not finished, but here is my current work on the Ikaruga Striker Unit. If you can't see it, I've out it on my deviantart page (link below image). Sorry if it's so tilted and that part of the left side is cut off on the paper. I actually made it that way...sort of.

Ikaruga Striker Unit 9/14/11

As you could see, the ship is divided into three parts: the legs and cockpit-like body suit. The legs go in between the guns/engines of the striker unit. Still trying to figure out how it'll allow the user to switch polarities. The wires connecting to the body suit is used to bring power to the suit's computers and electronics. There will also be a third wire connecting the suit to handgun-sized small arms weapon that fires shots and homing lasers identical to those found on and fired from the legs.

The striker unit has shields that absorb enemy fire, it provides power not only to the homing lasers, but to the engines as well. Although it would EVENTUALLY run out of energy/magic, it can run for a nearly limitless amount of time on a battlefield with this as the reason.

All weapons fire the same polarity as the ship. Like the normal Ikaruga, it does extra damage to enemies with the opposite polarity. For a thought and example it'll do extra damage to Humans/Witches (sometimes pierce through their shields) when black and extra to Neuroi when white. It would also absorb fire from Humans/Witches when white and Neuroi when black. Of course, the shields won't protect the ship against things such as collisions.

JameyoftheMegacosmos

Male

Back to top Go down

Ikaruga Striker Unit Info

Post by JameyoftheMegacosmos on Fri 23 Sep 2011 - 17:03

Been a while since I worked on the Ikaruga striker unit. But here is my thought for how the Striker Unit would work.

Engine
The Magic engines are located where the Ikaruga's usual engines are. The striker unit uses both magic and Neuroi Cores as power sources. Either one is majorly activated based on what "polarity" the unit is using. If white, it uses magic, and if black, it uses the Cores.
Note: There are three Cores on the striker unit, two inside the engines and one the black part of the body suit.

Polarity Switching

To switch polarities, the user puts both legs parts together. The user then has to wrap him/herself up into a rod as the striker unit turns 180 degrees to the other side.

"White" Polarity Shield

There are huge differences between the Ikaruga unit and other Striker Units when it comes to the Deflector Shield. Instead of needing a user, the Striker unit uses magic already in the engine to create a constant shield as long the polarity is still being used. The shield is also a speherical one that surrounds the entire striker unit. Even if the unit switches polarity, the magic, like that used in the engine, is conserved and reserved for when the user swithes back to the white polarity. Unlike most shields, the Deflector shield absorbs "friendly fire" or attacks from Witches. It can also fully block every weapon in the humans' arsenal and convert their kinetic energy into magic for the engines. Despite the Deflector shield's special ability, it is very fragile against directed-energy weapons and therefore, can not protect the user from Neuroi attacks and object collisions except for miasma.

"Black" Polarity Shield

When using the black polarity, the Ikaruga Striker unit uses the body suit's Core for a shield similar to that for the white polarity. It absorbs Neuroi energy weapons and transfers the power to the engines. However, it can not protect the unit from collsions and against attacks from Humans/Witches.

Shots

The Striker Unit takes the power used in the Magic engines and converts it into shots that can be fired rapidly. The shots fired depend on the polarity used by the unit. When white, the striker unit fires white magic shots. These shots do damage to Neuroi that exceed that of normal Human/Witch attacks and weapons. However, when fighting aginst Witches, the shots are half as effective.

When black, the striker unit fires black magic shots. Although these shots are very like the directed energy weapons used by the Neuroi, they seem to "combine" with some of the magic reserved in the engines. They do exceptional damage to Witches and even pass through Deflector shields. But like the white ones, when fighting against Neuroi, the hybrid shots are average.

Lasers

The Magic Engine would usually have excessive power, esecially when absorbing attacks. This excessive energy is immediately stored into the Striker unit's homing lasers. The unit can store even a mix of whtie and black energy and can be used for lasers of either polarity. The lasers are and fire exactly like the normal shots except they are stronger and home towards enemies of all types.

Land Form and Personal Weapons

The striker unit's land is the same as it's air mode. It uses the back ends of the wings as stilts to walk on ground. However, polarity switching can be harder when on the ground and the user sometimes needs be in mid-air to do so.

For personal weapons, the user can carry a pistol-sized weapon connected to the body suit. It fires the same weapons found on the leg parts and can store energy for the lasers.

JameyoftheMegacosmos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Mon 17 Oct 2011 - 21:21

i like all of the ideas posted above but my favorite would have to be the x-wing striker followed by the star fury. What about a veritech striker or one based on the outlaw star.
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 0:23

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in here,
Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider too! head bang
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1968

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by JameyoftheMegacosmos on Tue 1 Nov 2011 - 16:33

@Officer_Charon wrote:.... FUND IT! And a Viper, and a Gunstar too! *laughs* Although I feel bad for the poor witch who has a TIE fighter striker... *chuckles*

Here's something I just did in a few hours for the Vic Viper, if that's what you're talking about.

Man, my artwork is still tilted.

JameyoftheMegacosmos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Tue 1 Nov 2011 - 19:22

cool
crazyidiot78

Male

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Tue 1 Nov 2011 - 19:43

looks like a Narn heavy cruiser

Spoiler:

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Tue 1 Nov 2011 - 21:02

Babylon 5 nice cheers
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JameyoftheMegacosmos on Tue 1 Nov 2011 - 21:33

@Awinnell wrote:looks like a Narn heavy cruiser

Spoiler:

I kind of know what you mean, but that's not whst I was trying to make. As I said, I was trying to do a Striker Unit for the Vic Viper from the Gradius games. It's a side scrolling shooter in case you don't know it.

JameyoftheMegacosmos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ACH on Wed 11 Apr 2012 - 13:21

Okay... Striker units...

IGNORING the fact that they can already hover... what would Rotorcraft as striker units look like?

Bell UH-1?
or maybe a Westland Lynx... with TOW missiles
MBB BO-105 with HOT's

ACH

Male

Forum Posts : 389

Fan of : Physics~

Original Characters : Lots~

Comments : None~~~

Registration date : 2010-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Wed 11 Apr 2012 - 20:21

Adding to that I wonder what a rocket striker based on a Saturn V or other comparable space launch vehicle would look like. Also what about a space shuttle based striker unit.
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Wed 11 Apr 2012 - 22:54

They would look great, as would a Soviet version of them.

I was thinking in the opposite direction - WWI strikers.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5676

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Thu 19 Apr 2012 - 8:29

WWI Strikers would be cool, though I can only envision teh Red Baron.

As for Rotarcraft? (I'm hoping it menas like helicoptor rotors and not something else) I reckon they would have to make the Russian Hind, which in my opinion is one of the greatest helis in the world. It's a transport, a gunship, can taxi, and is used by many countries the world over (like the Kalashnikov). I probably have a very bisaed opinion thoug, since it's one of the few hellicopters I've actually tried to find the info on. A blcak Hawk would also be cool, 'cause then even in teh Strike Witches univers they can watch Black Hawk Down.

X-wing Striker? My mind has officailly been blown! I wouldn't mind seeing a X-301 or X-302 from Stargate.

For deigns based on modern aircraft? Su-35, MiG 35, F22 Raptor, Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk, Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II, and teh A-10 Thunderbolt. Seeing a B-2 or B-52 would also be cool, but there might be some problems with the size of teh wings and actually being able to move you legs without bonking your wingman on the head .

And if we delve back into fantasy? That mosquito looking thing the Jed flies in Cowboy Beebop.

-ACHTUNG- wrote:IGNORING the fact that they can already hover...
What's up with that anyway? They need a runway to take off, but can then hover, and act like a VTOL. Damn, this univers has more inconsistancies than something explained in abstract contradictory terms.

Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret
slander boldly, something always sticks
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Thu 19 Apr 2012 - 9:29

They do not always need a runway there are several cases where this does not happen specificallyy Mio in episode 2 of season 2. I think the runway aspect simply makes it easier for them to liftoff with a heaveier load much like it does for modern VTOL aircraft.
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 19 Apr 2012 - 20:32

Destroyer of Worlds ;D wrote:
-ACHTUNG- wrote:IGNORING the fact that they can already hover...
What's up with that anyway? They need a runway to take off, but can then hover, and act like a VTOL. Damn, this univers has more inconsistancies than something explained in abstract contradictory terms.
Its not really hovering. Its something WWI German pilots were able to put their Fokker DVIIs up on their tails and use the thrust of the propeller to keep them in place. It looks like its hovering but its not. At the time only the DVIIs with the Mercedes Engine (not the BMW Engine) could do this and it was used to their benefit because the enemy did not expect that to happen in mid air. It only lasted a few months until the enemy caught on to this little trick.

And CI is right as he pointed out. Airplanes do not need long runways, as aircraft carriers in WWI and WWII proved. But it is safer to have long runways.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 19 Apr 2012 - 20:53

@ElfenMagix wrote:And CI is right as he pointed out. Airplanes do not need long runways, as aircraft carriers in WWI and WWII proved. But it is safer to have long runways.
To be fair, carrier fighters of the day had the advantage of adding the ship speed to their takeoff speed. I don't know what the carriers did, but I know the battleship HMS Prince of Wales was good for almost 30knots, which I imagine would make up a not-insignificant portion of a piston-fighter's takeoff speed... not to mention that the Poms were sill using Fairy Swordfish at the time, which could takeoff backwards in a stiff breeze and flew so slowly that the enemy's auto-leading AA turrets couldn't track them. Razz

That said: considering many pilots of the time were being thrown up into combat with less than 10 hours behind the stick, giving them a big target to land on probably wasn't a bad idea.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 19 Apr 2012 - 21:30

@Alfisti wrote:
@ElfenMagix wrote:And CI is right as he pointed out. Airplanes do not need long runways, as aircraft carriers in WWI and WWII proved. But it is safer to have long runways.
To be fair, carrier fighters of the day had the advantage of adding the ship speed to their takeoff speed. I don't know what the carriers did, but I know the battleship HMS Prince of Wales was good for almost 30knots, which I imagine would make up a not-insignificant portion of a piston-fighter's takeoff speed... not to mention that the Poms were sill using Fairy Swordfish at the time, which could takeoff backwards in a stiff breeze and flew so slowly that the enemy's auto-leading AA turrets couldn't track them. Razz

That said: considering many pilots of the time were being thrown up into combat with less than 10 hours behind the stick, giving them a big target to land on probably wasn't a bad idea.
Though planes in WWI were so light weight that a stiff wind could make them take off from standing still, WWII was different. The Sopwith Pup and Sopwith Triplanes were best in Carrier missions in WWI.

For smaller fighter planes this was not a problem as they can easily take off from within 500ft of runway. But with larger planes (bombers and cargo planes) was a problem since they needed 1000 - 1500ft of runway. The trick was to put the ship facing the wind and have it go as fast as it can go (about 30knots) and the planes rev their engines at full were able to take off from within 800ft of runway space which was the length of Yorktown Class carriers of the US Fleet in WWII. Jimmy Doolittle researched this in order to do the bombing raids of Japan in early WWII. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doolittle_Raid

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ACH on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 1:13

Hmm... Considering Helicopters are quite versatile and agile (so agile that even a lowly Robinson R22 will put an F22 Raptor to shame)

Imagine an actual Heli fighting the Neuroi (not strikers).

Flying sideways and doing full 180's to face a chasing enemy. It wouldnt be much of a stretch since Helicopters have been invented since way before WWII and the Germans actually fielded some in small numbers.

ACH

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 2:07

-ACHTUNG- wrote:Flying sideways and doing full 180's to face a chasing enemy. It wouldnt be much of a stretch since Helicopters have been invented since way before WWII and the Germans actually fielded some in small numbers.
Wow , I know the germans did some pretty cazy stuff during WWII, like making the origonal assault rifle, and prototypes for jets, and Hitler wanted some kind of 'super tank' that was nearly as big as a house, but I did not know they built helis as well. Fascinating.
-ACHTUNG- wrote:Imagine an actual Heli fighting the Neuroi (not strikers).
Sounds a bit like an argument I had with my borther on how humanity would fair if the Neuroi were to attack today (not as in today right now, but in modern times today). We concluded that we wouldn't need the witches (well, I did anyway) because of how leathel modern weaponry is. Neuroi would appear to destroy cities, or take oil or steal chocolate, whatever reason it is that they destroy everything; between four and fifteen minutes later, two air supiriourity fighters whiz past and blitz it.
Or you would load a whole heap of tanks with sabots and blitz it that way. Or just a shitload of Javelin or equivilent anti air missiles, Neuroi can only shoot in so many directions after all. In summary, we'd kick thier ass (assuming they also do not have more advanced technology). (also I'd like to remind everyone that I don't know that much about current tactics and weapons, so this may all seem a little silly )

Sizes of WWII carriers? Lemme just get out my stats cards of four British carries from 1937 to 1944.

first up in 1937 is the Ark Royal - 800ft.
Second in 1939, is the Illustrious - 753ft
in 1944, there are two vessels, Implacable - 766ft; and Ocean - 693ft

From this it would apear that aircraft are requiring shorter runways, or the ships are capable of going faster, As Alfitsi said, planes could add the carriers speed to their own. (oddly enough, these cards don't have the speeds on them)

Three Dog

Male

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Back to top Go down

Post by ACH on Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 9:36

[img][/img]
Fa 223 "Drache" by Focke-Wulf, a twin rotor Cargo heli from 1941

[img][/img]
and the Flettner Fl 282 "Kolibri", a Light synchrotor recon Heli from 1940

Now all we need are Striker versions of these. Prolly form a special Helicopter squadron that specializes in EXTREME maneuverability and maybe CAS for the Tank witches.

ACH

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 11:56

Illustrious class carrier ,armoured decks and hangars, designed for use in coastal water in range of enemy land based bombers,tended to be shorter than their American counterpart as the USN ships had wooden flight decks,this lead, during a Kamikaze attack to a US Admiral to commenting,' when a Jap Kamikaze hits one of our ships its six months in refit,when the Brits get hit it's, "Sweepers man your brooms !" '

Displacement: 29,110-29,240 tons full load
Dimensions: 673 x 95.5 x 28.5 feet/205 x 29 x 8.6 meters
Extreme Dimensions: 753 x 107 x 28.6 feet/229.5 x 32.5 x 8.7 meters
Propulsion: Steam turbines, 6 boilers, 3 shafts, 111,000 hp, 30.5 knots
Crew: 1229 (1997 late WWII)
Armor: 4.5 inch belt, 4.5 inch hangar sides, 3 inch flight deck
Armament: 8 dual 4.5/45, 6 8-barrel 2 pound AA
Aircraft: 33

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 2:43

@Awinnell wrote:Illustrious class carrier ,armoured decks and hangars, designed for use in coastal water in range of enemy land based bombers,tended to be shorter than their American counterpart as the USN ships had wooden flight decks,this lead, during a Kamikaze attack to a US Admiral to commenting,' when a Jap Kamikaze hits one of our ships its six months in refit,when the Brits get hit it's, "Sweepers man your brooms !" '
British sweepers, defending her majesty's fleet from kamikazes since 19 .
This does make me wonder though, would you get kmikaze Witches? I mean, they were willing to turn of their flagship into a big huge Neuroi, why not crash people into Neuroi as well? All I see is a bunch of Fusoin(?), no... Fusonite(?), no... Fusoish(?), no... Whatever the hell you call poeple from Fuso, so jacked up on meth they could not spell thier own faces.

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 8:42

A not insignificant number of Japanese fighter pilots attempted to take out Superforts by ramming them, with varying degrees of success. I wouldn't be surprised if some Witches did the same, but I also imagine their statues as a scarce and valuable resource would've resulted in the high command expressly forbidding repeat incidents of the type.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 8:52

@Nachtsider wrote:A not insignificant number of Japanese fighter pilots attempted to take out Superforts by ramming them, with varying degrees of success. I wouldn't be surprised if some Witches did the same, but I also imagine their statues as a scarce and valuable resource would've resulted in the high command expressly forbidding repeat incidents of the type.
Dunno, assuming Yoshika gets very good at healing, and since ammo costs money, command might order the Witches to bang thier heads against the Neuroi and get healed by Yoshika when they get a concusion .

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 8:57

Jokes aside, bringing down one of those huge Neuroi thingies via ramming would only be possible by impact-detonation of the Striker units. The fact that a Witch cannot disengage from her gear the way a pilot can bail out of their plane would certainly mean that the attack, if successful, would result in her death.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 9:03

bomber strike witches on the other hand may work, a ten ton Grand Slam bomb would make a dent

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 9:08

Back to the Japanese fighter pilots - one of the tactics that they used against Allied bomber formations was to fly above them and drop air-burst-capable phosphorus bombs in their midst. It didn't work very well against the Superforts, but less well-armoured ships like the Liberators and Mitchells were vulnerable - Tetsuzo Iwamoto once took out three or four Liberators with one of those things.

Extrapolating on this notion, and incorporating Awinnell's suggestion, I imagine an air-burst-capable Tallboy or Grand Slam would work with devastating effect against a Neuroi ship, but delivery would obviously be a problem. Perhaps an airframe based on the Lancaster or the Superfort, interfaced with three or more Witches, might do the trick. Bomber Striker units: such a tantalizing notion.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 10:10

@Nachtsider wrote:Jokes aside, bringing down one of those huge Neuroi thingies via ramming would only be possible by impact-detonation of the Striker units. The fact that a Witch cannot disengage from her gear the way a pilot can bail out of their plane would certainly mean that the attack, if successful, would result in her death.

Actually, look at Season 1's finale. Granted, Yoshika had to be carried by Lynette and Perrine, but she herself disengaged from her Strikers to send them flying into the Neuroi core of the infected Akagi.

I aim to misbehave.

MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ACH on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 11:04

Actually... Witches doing it CQC with the Neuroi are not unheard of in the SW universe.

Especially the 502nd "Break Witches" which has a very high striker unit attrition rate cause of repeated incidents where "kicking of cores with striker units" happen as well as straight up punching them.

They are lucky that they face the light airborne neuroi. Coz I dont think those tactics would work in the African campaign where ENORMOUS Neuroi roam the sands.

Which is why the usual killing blow is done by witches lugging 40mm Bofors and even 88mm Flak 36's into the air. Or needing help from ground attack witches carrying high penetration weaponry of 37-75mm autocannon calibers.

And if that doesnt work, theres always the tanks to call upon.

ACH

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Mon 23 Apr 2012 - 1:23

-ACHTUNG- wrote:Actually... Witches doing it CQC with the Neuroi are not unheard of in the SW universe.

Especially the 502nd "Break Witches" which has a very high striker unit attrition rate cause of repeated incidents where "kicking of cores with striker units" happen as well as straight up punching them.

They are lucky that they face the light airborne neuroi. Coz I dont think those tactics would work in the African campaign where ENORMOUS Neuroi roam the sands.

Which is why the usual killing blow is done by witches lugging 40mm Bofors and even 88mm Flak 36's into the air. Or needing help from ground attack witches carrying high penetration weaponry of 37-75mm autocannon calibers.

And if that doesnt work, theres always the tanks to call upon.

Wouldn't artilery such as the Wesp be better suited than tanks, which would probably be within range of the Neuroi's beams?

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ACH on Tue 24 Apr 2012 - 4:58

Artillery back in the days were not supplied with any armor piercing ammunition. And the usual Neuroi in Afrika are of the armored variety.

And the Tanks themselves are only Matildas, Shermans and Panzer III and IV's with maybe the occasional Tiger.

There are also Striker versions of these as well.

The aformentioned Bofors
[img][/img]
As I said... FIREPOWER...

ACH

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Tue 24 Apr 2012 - 5:15

@MP5 wrote:Actually, look at Season 1's finale. Granted, Yoshika had to be carried by Lynette and Perrine, but she herself disengaged from her Strikers to send them flying into the Neuroi core of the infected Akagi.
And the bolded part is the crux of the matter: only possible with buddies at hand.

Destroyer of Worlds ;D wrote:Wouldn't artilery such as the Wesp be better suited than tanks, which would probably be within range of the Neuroi's beams?
You kidding? I bet even the artillery is probably within range.

Last edited by Nachtsider on Tue 24 Apr 2012 - 19:15; edited 1 time in total

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Tue 24 Apr 2012 - 5:56

-ACHTUNG- wrote:Artillery back in the days were not supplied with any armor piercing ammunition. And the usual Neuroi in Afrika are of the armored variety.

And the Tanks themselves are only Matildas, Shermans and Panzer III and IV's with maybe the occasional Tiger.

There are also Striker versions of these as well.

The aforementioned Bofors
[img][/img]
As I said... FIREPOWER...

actually all the tanks had was armour piercing rounds,but back then an armour piercing round was a solid shot ,as the war progressed both sides up gunned their tanks,at the start of the war the Panzer II had two 20mm cannon the panzer III started out with a 37mm but was upgunned to a 50mm and then a 75mm this was due to the at the time superior penetration of the British two pounders (40mm) on the cruiser tanks and later on the presence of the superb Soviet T-34

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum