Nanotechnology?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nanotechnology?

Post by Guest on Tue 22 Jan 2008 - 10:33

I'm certain this is the right section to post this in...I just have this little idea buzzing about, so I thought I'd post it.

After watching trailers for Metal Gear Solid 4, I began to think of this- what if, in later stages or later models of old stages of cyborg assassins, in the future, of course, they replaced conditioning altogether and instead used an SOP-esque nanotech design?

Conditioning, even in high doses, only lasts for so long. Nanotechnology would allow for total control of the cyborg's systems without drugs being applied, cruel as it is, and it is harsh. But, you know, in some alternate universe, maybe a day will come when cyborgs are produced from candidates en masse. Nanotechnology would be an efficient way to control...well, 'armies' of them. I have a scenario in my head in which cyborg tech begins to circulate on the black market provided by a highly advanced covert group (at least, covert to their adversaries). Now, if that were to happen, or something like that, with cyborgs being made by the dozen, nanotechnology would be an apt means of controlling them. Methinks the need for handlers would probably become nonexistant.

It would also increase teamwork efficiency by far- as seen in one of the MGS4 trailers, Meryl's unit, in the practical blink of an eye, is able to position itself accordingly and eliminate a unit of Haven Troopers in one fell swoop- picture a team of cyborgs acting like a full-fledged military unit. Shades of those French Fratello from Radaphyte's work also come to mind here...

Simply put, nanotechnology is a good means of control for the future and would probably offer better results than conditioning. However! You might all think I'm being cruel so far by saying all of this, but even with nanomachines, cyborgs wouldn't be without their own traits and personalities...controlled as they may be (which is harsh, yes, but...well, that's technology like this for you) they still have to be unique in ways, eh?

Just saying my thoughts here. Say what you will.

Back to top Go down

Re: Nanotechnology?

Post by Nachtsider on Tue 22 Jan 2008 - 18:13

Nanomachines are awesome, Gaia, but conditioning of some sort would still be necessary to ensure a cyborg's loyalty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Tue 22 Jan 2008 - 20:30

I'm not familiar with Metal Gear beyond the NES and Plastation 1 (PC port, in my case) games, but... judging from Gaia's post... they use nanotechnology later in the story for behavior modification? Does it work as a drug, or subconscious suggestions, or perhaps a form of remote control (in which case scrambling the controller's signal could be disatrous)?

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by emperor on Wed 23 Jan 2008 - 1:50

It's a good question.

But maybe with the nano tech making they Too Smart.

:chainsaw:

http://on.fb.me/9tuZOK Facebook Page for Cyborg Central : Gunslinger Girl Forum cheers
emperor

Male

Forum Posts : 1637

Fan of : Henrietta,Black Lagoon,Jormungund

Original Characters : Rosetta,Devil baby

Comments : Be creative,baby!!

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 23 Jan 2008 - 1:59

I don't think the nano robots would be used to advance their brain function, more like degrade it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 23 Jan 2008 - 3:26

Well, conditioning might have to be used, but on a lesser level seeing as nanomachines control the actions of the assassin. Loyalty has to be ensured, yes, but even if conditioning was needed, it would be required in far less amounts- nanotechnology is key in ensuring loyalty anyway.

As for how they work, I assume they're injected into the person, or placed inside the person through some means similar to that. Nanomachines themselves act as controllers- the subconscious suggestion bit is close. I get the feeling that whoever oversees nanomachine cyborgs would make each cyborg's personality from his own preferences. Therefore, the nanomachines would control each cyborg based off of said preferences of the overseer.

Sorry, well, if that didn't make sense, I'm a little fatigued.

As for the remote control idea, branching off of that...scrambling the nanomachines through some means would indeed prove to be disastrous, yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Wed 23 Jan 2008 - 15:31

I would disagree to this because we are not at the "Star Trek Borg/Borg Hive Mind/Borg Queen" level of technology. And as shown in Star Trek, parts of the brain were replaced with Borg Tech. This is not an option with them or any other form on the technology. And as far as Gunslinger Girl Tech goes, we are not there yet.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama on Wed 23 Jan 2008 - 22:02

Ahh Metal Gear Solid, the best case for a PS3 yet. My understanding is that nanotech is used to provide direct control over soldiers in MGS4. So it plays a very similar role to conditioning. Nanotech like that though is not a near future technology. So sure you could replace conditioning with nanotech, but it like Elfen said it doesn't mix really well with the tech level in the show.

Strive for your next breath.  Believe that with it you can do more than with the last one.  Use your breath to power your capacities: capacity to kill, to maim, to destroy.

T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes!

Marathon
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Forum Posts : 1053

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Marcello

Comments : Everybody's favorite crew chief. Without him, the flyboys are powerless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 24 Jan 2008 - 21:38

What? I'm extremely confused here, but maybe not.

Conditioning is what keeps the girls in line, loyal, and heartless in the art of killing. It's a drug that affects the psychosis of the girls.
This is distinctly different from the brain washing procedure, although the conditioning drugs is what causes memory loss.
Then you have the mechanical body, in which the girls' limbs are largely replaced by carbon fibres, and their bones with carbon plating.

As for how they work, I assume they're injected into the person, or placed inside the person through some means similar to that. Nanomachines themselves act as controllers- the subconscious suggestion bit is close. I get the feeling that whoever oversees nanomachine cyborgs would make each cyborg's personality from his own preferences. Therefore, the nanomachines would control each cyborg based off of said preferences of the overseer.

Sorry, well, if that didn't make sense, I'm a little fatigued.

As for the remote control idea, branching off of that...scrambling the nanomachines through some means would indeed prove to be disastrous, yes.
You're joking, right? You're suggesting the programming of microscopic machines that will be injected into the body of a person, and will control behavior? It's not possible.

We in the 21st century don't even know how (or even if) psychology is connected to the physical aspects of our body. Maybe sometime within this millinium, we might have the technology to control people like robots when we have expended the reasources to understand the brain and how it works. In this case, we would have computers programming and processing the information of the nerves, converting the extremely complex system of a program into a pulse travelling through the nerves. But we wouldn't be using nanites and it's not the same as conditioning.

Right now, we can transmit and interpret (very weakly and extremely expensively) some electrochemical signals, and integrate them into a computer (a person who is immobile can do a few simple tasks with thought)... but we cannot do it the other way around.

Compared to the design of the human brain, computer technology is a Roman catapult vs all the systems, working, and crew of a modern-day capitol warship. In fact, right now (and probably for the next few decades), it is impossible for us to use computers to control the brain of a fish, much less a human.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Jan 2008 - 4:27

Hey, hey, it was only a thought- ideas, no matter how impossible they might sound, are meant to be distributed, are they not?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 25 Jan 2008 - 5:20

Of course they are, Gaia. Unfortunately, not everyone grasps this fact.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Jan 2008 - 5:57

Aye. And I, Colonel, am merely putting this forward as a plausibility. I understand what you're saying and it's meaningful, but as said, I am only displaying this idea as some possibility, albeit a far-flung one and only really applicable in the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 25 Jan 2008 - 7:03

Y'know, Gaia, I've just realized that this nanomachines schtick could come in very, very handy if you're planning to pen a futurist take on Gunslinger Girl - perhaps a story exploring what the usage of cyborgs would be like in, say, fifty to a hundred years after the original series' era.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama on Fri 25 Jan 2008 - 12:04

Colonel Marksman wrote:You're joking, right? You're suggesting the programming of microscopic machines that will be injected into the body of a person, and will control behavior? It's not possible.

We in the 21st century don't even know how (or even if) psychology is connected to the physical aspects of our body.
You know I do agree with you on the general matter. However the specifics need clarification. It's not possible, yet. At least not for humans, or at least we don't think it is. Your in trouble though if your a rat thought. That's the only one I could find really quickly I believe there are another two that are fairly common.

About this if psychology is connected to the physical aspects of our body. I hate to come off as the secular scientest, but please. Where else is your psychology going to come from? I know you could say the soul, and yeah there is a part of me that would like to believe that as well. However you can make physical changes in the body, and see the changes in a persons psyche. Lobotomy, anti-depressents, uppers, downers. There are even cases of kidney translates having effects on peoples behavior. So with all those facts there seems to be a very strong tie between the physical body, and the psyche.

Strive for your next breath.  Believe that with it you can do more than with the last one.  Use your breath to power your capacities: capacity to kill, to maim, to destroy.

T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes!

Marathon
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Forum Posts : 1053

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Marcello

Comments : Everybody's favorite crew chief. Without him, the flyboys are powerless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum