Prime Minister steps down; how do the cyborgs react?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Prime Minister steps down; how do the cyborgs react?

Post by Professor Voodoo on Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 1:34

GsG Italy's Renato Pisano is a thinly disguised facsimile of the real world Silvio Berlusconi. With him stepping down it begs the question;
How would the cyborgs react to a change in leadership?

They are conditioned to be protective of anyone in their chain of command...would they interpret the Prime Minister resigning under pressure or losing an election as an attack on this cornerstone of their existence? Might they even react violently?

Furthermore, how would the individual handlers explain to their charges that regime change is a normal thing that happens sometimes in government?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw a werewolf drinking a Piņa Colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3422

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Prime Minister steps down; how do the cyborgs react?

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 1:48

I question the notion that most of the cyborgs even know about the Prime Minister, or even about Italian politics in general. The individual whom they probably regard as the highest manifestation of authority in their existence is Lorenzo. Therefore, I doubt any of the SWA staff see the need to explain the intricacies of regime change and so on.

Also, whatever protectiveness cyborgs display towards people in command positions seems to apply only to SWA personnel, particularly their handlers. Unless a cyborg is informed that a non-SWA bigwig is worthy of respect and meant to be protected, I don't think they would give a flying fignut about said person.

However.

If the cyborgs somehow discovered that a change in leadership might threaten their existence, I imagine that at least some of them would refuse to take things lying down. See the 'cyborg rebellion' thread.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Odon on Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 3:44

@Nachtsider wrote: See the 'cyborg rebellion' thread.

We have a cyborg rebellion thread?

"I had a dream. We were together in my dream. We were brother and sister, father and mother, wife and husband. And both of us were both."
-- The Princess and the Warrior

Odon

Male

Forum Posts : 463

Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 3:58

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 4:25

Oddly enough, 47ness asked me something similar on dA the other day so I've actually been putting some thought into it (at least as how Monty would view it all)... hence I've not actually answered him yet, so part of this may wind up being copy/pasted into dA...

..but as a lead in:
@Nachtsider wrote:I question the notion that most of the cyborgs even know about the Prime Minister, or even about Italian politics in general.
I'm actually inclined to agree with this to a certain extent. While I don't think they're entirely oblivious to the fact that there's some higher power out there directing Chief Lorenzo, I imagine that it's sort of on the same level that they're aware the sky is blue: it just is.

Others who have spent a bit more time doing protection missions and the like, for example: Kara, would probably be a bit more cogniscent of a changing of the guard... but to what extent: well I'll leave that up to their creators to explore.

Monty, I think it's safe to say, would have a slightly better handle on the ins and outs of politics than the average cyborg... as well as on the potential ramifications of a regime change (she's been part of one or two). I doubt Jethro would need to explain much to her. It's probably easier for me to hand over to her now...

Monty: *takes a sip of her Negroni, then leans back in her chair with a thoughtfull expression* I think, in terms of a changing of the political guard, the SWA should be less concerned about the outgoing and look more to addressing the incoming party. While it is perhaps unnerving to loose a known quantity and ally in head office, Pisano's reach has now been clipped and limited. The new chap is less of a a bit more of an enigma...

Jethro: He's called Mario Monti, has an interest in Ancient Egyptian archaeology and anthropology.

Monty: I approve, but he'd best not discredit the name. My understanding is that he's also a Technocrat and Economist by profession, among others. What we don't know is where he stands on Northern secessionism. If he is ammenable to a seperate North, then, to be brutally honest: severing the South of Italy makes economic sense. It isn't as wealthy or productive as the North and, given a few years and political nudges could become a source of cheap, importable labour. In which case the SWA's future will be significantly grimmer.

If he intends to pursue a unified Italy, then I'm sorry to say that the SWA isn't out of the woods. If he is as good of an economist as a former European Commissionier should be, then I wouldn't be suprised to see a few cost/benifit analysis being run.

Now, much of the SWA's primary role can be filled by much cheaper Special Forces or Anti-terrorisim units, and the secondary role as a Medical/bio-engineering think tank and R&D facility is a longer term investment [pending what's revealed in the next few chapters of manga - A]. While the return would probably be worthwile in the end, I imagine the primary concern of any incoming Prime Minister will be to deal with the current debt crisis... any country with a debt greater than it'd GDP has reason to be very concerned, and in the short term the SWA is really just a massive overhead. On that logic it would make sense for the government to scrap the program, or mothball it with the intention of picking back up again once there's some money to invest. It'd be a big investment to loose, but sometimes you have to cut your losses.

Perhaps pertinently, given his time in the EU commission, there's a fair chance Monti is more of a pan-European thinkier. If Italy falls apart then it will likely bring more pressure for the disbandment of the Eurozone currency as well, and I would not be suprised to see some domestic sacrifices being made for the betterment of the wider European community. Perhaps on that front, and as much as it galls me to say it, there should be some pressure applied to make the SWA a European organisation rather than a purely Italian one if it wishes to safeguard it's continued existence.

I guess on both fronts it really boils down to how much this Mario will be lead by hard financial logic verse Nationalistic Pride.

Jethro: ...

Jethro: How's your British passport looking luv?

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5738

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 4:40

I think this could be a good story in the making even if Nacht is prolly right about the cyborg's world view being limited to the immediate surroundings of the agency. The 2nd gen borgs might be more aware and therefore have discussions among themselves which might trickle down to the younger girls. If the Padania agents infiltrated the new government and tried to steer Italy towards a two state nation, the SWA might intervene.
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1968

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 5:35

@Alfisti wrote:I imagine the primary concern of any incoming Prime Minister will be to trump Berlusconi by holding bunga-bunga parties of even grosser extravagance and debauchery.
Fixed.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 8:29

I may map real events to fictional ones in Pactio, since Michele and Renato have been friends since school.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10889

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 10:25

when i heard Monti was going to be Italy's new prime minister the first thought that went through my mind was,

" and now for something completely different !"

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum