Olga

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Olga

Post by Jacen Starslayer on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 17:25

I was curious as to what everyone thought about the SWA's resident Russian Ex-Spy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I am the sword of justice
Forged by fate and tempered with time
I have struggled to stay true to his dreams and ideals
Never knowing defeat
Nor victory
Forever waiting for his return
This is my, Infinite Sword Dance"
Jacen Starslayer

Male

Forum Posts : 525

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve 2, Fate/Stay Night, Ah! My Goddess, etc.

Original Characters : Jay Valentine

Comments : "The man who tries to please everyone, will never be happy with themselves."

Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Olga

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 17:33

Out of all the support staff, she intrigues me the most. The resident cool enigma, so to speak. I imagine she regales the cyborgs with many a tale of cloak and dagger derring-do.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 21:01

I'd love to see her salivating over Petra's past and her subconscious ballet imprinting.

Some spies are made, others born. I see Olga as being a ballet dancer who was approached and 'convinced' to spy for the USSR (waaaay back then.) Ballet dancers have horrifically short careers, but she loved the art too much to become a spy full-time when her legs gave out, so she moved to teaching, and was still working for the intelligence services.

I don't see her as 'making a break for it' and having a price on her head. She seems to open for that. Instead, I think she simply retired, and was allowed to because she wasn't privvy to much by way of high-value intel - she was a grunt, and wasn't that big a deal.

However, NATO wanted to have whatever she could offer, so they welcomed her, debriefed her, and, in part because she's used to working with younger children from her cover as a ballet teacher, she was tasked over to Section 2.

That's probably how I'll write her. None of it is canon, obviously.

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Forum Posts : 1171

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 21:22

That's... not a bad bio, actually. Although I think you might selling her role a little short; I reckon she's got quite a bit of time in the field under her belt, along with combat experience, too. She gives off the air of a seasoned veteran.

Now I find myself really wishing Olga had been Petra's handler instead of Sandro.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 21:40

I think we can reconcile both - not all spies get the goods.

There was one book that had the adage, "There are old spies, there are bold spies, but there are no old, bold spies." She is obviously no spring chicken, so I would think she is the cautious type.

Also, there are assets and there are assets. The lower-key ones would simply be given a 'shopping list' of stuff to look for in their travels. These generally aren't actual 'spies', just assets that real spies 'run'. "Say, when you visit LA, see if you can get some pictures of the Navy Yard."

Real spies would use their cover to get in country, hopefully unnoticed. They'd be trained to see if they were tailed, and to lose them, then go off and do their dark art. As you note, with the way Olga carries herself, she's skilled in the field, so I can easily see her being the 'coach' of a traveling ballet troupe who is prone to 'sightseeing'.

It's entirely possible she worked a full second career w/o ever encountering some 'eyes only' information, the kind that doesn't allow you to leave the agency, at least not on your feet. Also, a smart spy may realize this, and just hand over the goods without endangering themselves by stealing a peek. Remember The Transporter's third rule: Never look in the bag.

Me, I'm glad she's isn't. I like the fact that Petra isn't just a dancer - she's also learning to be a chameleon. Sandro is a good spy, as opposed to Jean and co. who have more of a 'shock trooper' mentality.
Spoiler:
I think you posted that a year-plus ago when the SWA first got their asses handed to them at the bell tower.

With Olga, I think she would be too interested in making this 'short lived flower blossom most brightly' as the perfect dancer, her masterwork, her legacy. Instead, she gets to dream about it.

Dreams are always so much better than the nitty and gritty of reality.

===

BTW, I don't think Olga has actually seen Petra so far, yes?

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 21:55

@Jacen Starslayer wrote:I was curious as to what everyone thought about the SWA's resident Russian Ex-Spy.
Um, I think she's hot! However, on a mission me thinks Lady Olga is down right cooool....... head bang
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1968

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 22:03

Olga used to work for the Russian Embassy... I get the impression that she fulfilled a lot of the same duties as Marine Security Guards do for US Embassies.

A lot like lyndist appears to do as well, for that matter... *chuckles*

Olga is calm, capable and cool under pressure. Definitely a field veteran, but not jaded - she still has her sense of humor.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1470

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 22:12

@Officer_Charon wrote:Olga used to work for the Russian Embassy... I get the impression that she fulfilled a lot of the same duties as Marine Security Guards do for US Embassies.

I believe one of those duties was as a driver.

Once I finish Pactio, I intend to go back and read the Seven Seas editions of V1-8 and the scanlations of V9-14 as my memories of what has been said in the manga has atrophied a bit.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10890

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 22:13

Eh, I'd much rather have a handler who attempts to make her charge shine than one who does nothing but sit around and mope about the morality of her job. Razz

When I said 'combat experience', I wasn't implying stuff like what Rambo does, oh no. I'm fully aware that the best spies don't leave throngs of bodies in their wake. I was thinking a bunch of assassinations, perhaps - you know, wetwork. Although I sometimes do like to fancy Olga as this spec-ops badass like Bryan from 'Taken'.

As for whether or not she's seen Petra, I think it's an easy bet she must have.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 22:21

So much about Petra is easy, why not the bet?

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 23:09

Well played. Laughing

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 23:42

Like Sandro.

Boosh.

Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sat 11 Feb 2012 - 1:51

I should be more specific - have they ever been in the same pane in the manga, or has either of them ever mentioned seeing the other?

taerKitty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sat 11 Feb 2012 - 2:10

Never read that far, so I can't say for sure. But presumed off-panel interactions are the seeds that sprout many a great fanfic.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 0:15

Olga is the best and yet underused character in the GsG Character closet. Her potential for growth is paramount, compared to Priscilla or even Ferro. With Ferro, she's locked into the "Intell Supervisor" role. Priscilla, in what slot she is in she is locked. But Olga, she is very flexible in what role she is in. She can work with handlers and their cyborgs, she can deal with potential threats, she does it all. Seeing her as a handler, would be a dream come true.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5676

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by emperor on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 9:23

Olga is calm, capable and cool under pressure. Definitely a field veteran, but not jaded - she still has her sense of humor.

Good point

http://on.fb.me/9tuZOK Facebook Page for Cyborg Central : Gunslinger Girl Forum cheers
emperor

Male

Forum Posts : 1637

Fan of : Henrietta,Black Lagoon,Jormungund

Original Characters : Rosetta,Devil baby

Comments : Be creative,baby!!

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 3:54

@Nachtsider wrote:Now I find myself really wishing Olga had been Petra's handler instead of Sandro.
Truly a match made in heaven. Good Yu was asleep at the switch on this one.

I dont hate him specifically, its the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 22:24

@Danjo3 wrote:
@Nachtsider wrote:Now I find myself really wishing Olga had been Petra's handler instead of Sandro.
Truly a match made in heaven. Good Yu was asleep at the switch on this one.
I so agree.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tross on Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 23:20

I think she's interesting. She's kind of mysterious, and her Russian background could give her a different perspective on things than the other members of Section 2. Too bad the only time I remember that coming into play is when she drew on some Russian folklore to help write the Prince of Pasta story for Angelica, in that flashback. She has an interest in ballet, so I could see her getting along well with Petra. She does seem to have a bit of a mothering side, but not to the point where it could affect her judgment, as the case sometimes is with Priscilla.
Tross

Male

Forum Posts : 122

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : None. I don't write fanfic.

Comments : N/A

Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Sat 7 Apr 2012 - 3:09

@Tross wrote:I think she's interesting. She's kind of mysterious, and her Russian background could give her a different perspective on things than the other members of Section 2. Too bad the only time I remember that coming into play is when she drew on some Russian folklore to help write the Prince of Pasta story for Angelica, in that flashback. She has an interest in ballet, so I could see her getting along well with Petra. She does seem to have a bit of a mothering side, but not to the point where it could affect her judgment, as the case sometimes is with Priscilla.

cheers

Glad to see someone else see Olga's mothering nature beneath that tough exterior.

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2559

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Tross on Sat 7 Apr 2012 - 19:45

It's definitely there. It's downplayed, so it could be easy to miss. Given her background with the Russian Embassy, and factor in her age in comparison to a lot of the other section 2 members, and Olga's obviously experienced, and wise enough to keep her feelings in check and approach situations in a calm and cool manner. Plus, with Priscilla's mothering side being much more apparent, one might not notice that side in Olga. When she was first introduced though, she showed some compassion and concern for the girls who went in for their assessment with Dr. Bianchi. I believe it was a little more apparent in the anime, but it has been a while since I've seen it or read the earlier chapters in the manga, so don't quote me on that. Olga also often follows Priscilla when she decides to act upon her mothering side, but Olga has always struck me as the type to make her own decisions and stand on her own two feet rather than simply following a co-worker or friend for no reason. I think it's impressive that even certain side characters who aren't around all the time have subtle sides to them, which is just another reason why I love this series.
Tross

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 7 Apr 2012 - 21:04

In Russia, Mother has you.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sat 7 Apr 2012 - 23:19

Given her background I wonder if Olga had any role to play in Petruska ending up in Italy and possibly the agency, beyond what is shown in cannon. I think its plausible given her love of Ballet that she could have had connections to Petra's school and recomended Italy for medical treatment or took an interest in her after she wound up in italy. probably tilting at windmills here, but i wonder if any of you might have through the same way
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 7 Apr 2012 - 23:33

@crazyidiot78 wrote:Given her background I wonder if Olga had any role to play in Petruska ending up in Italy and possibly the agency, beyond what is shown in cannon.
The paranoid in me has always thought there was a connection between the two. In the minimum it was a coincidence that was taken advantage of.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Sat 19 May 2012 - 9:50

@ElfenMagix wrote:
@crazyidiot78 wrote:Given her background I wonder if Olga had any role to play in Petruska ending up in Italy and possibly the agency, beyond what is shown in cannon.
The paranoid in me has always thought there was a connection between the two. In the minimum it was a coincidence that was taken advantage of.
Has to be a coincidence, Olga was a driver for the Russian Embasy, and I believe she is only a fan of ballet, and not hardcore enough to keep a close eye on all the upcoming ballerinas.

And I'm not too sure about the 'motherly' thing from Olga, I think she's only there as part of her scheme to kidnap the girls for her own personal cyborg ballet troop.

Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret
slander boldly, something always sticks
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Tross on Wed 23 May 2012 - 1:08

Man, that could be more deadly than being used as an assassin. Plus, if a girl breaks an ankle, she'll be far away from the Agency's awesome medical staff.
Tross

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 31 May 2014 - 9:40

Towards the end of Space Brothers, one of the astronaut brothers goes to Star City in Moscow to train with the cosmonauts. One of the cosmonauts, Ivan Tolstoy, has a 16 year old daughter named Olga who is an aspiring ballerina. While she's 16, she tries to look older and I thought she might work for our own Olga in her early 20's (when she was leading Michele around on a merry chase in Moscow and Leningrad):

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10890

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sat 31 May 2014 - 12:51

I can see it. I still want to see you write Michele and Olga reminiscing on being opposite ends of some tool of the spy trade during the Cold War.

taerKitty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Sun 1 Jun 2014 - 9:17

I can totally see that!

@taerkitty wrote:I can see it. I still want to see you write Michele and Olga reminiscing on being opposite ends of some tool of the spy trade during the Cold War.

Same here.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictusby William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 914

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sun 1 Jun 2014 - 11:23

Either opposite ends of a rifle sight, or opposing sides of some white-knuckled street chase/race in East Berlin, or ...

taerKitty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sun 1 Jun 2014 - 21:38

Next Question: What did Michele look like at the time?
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1834

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum