Budget Cuts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Budget Cuts

Post by Three Dog on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 3:08

I got to thinking the other day, at the start of episode 6 seaon 1, Mio is angry because of budget cuts, and Minna says it's because the leaders are pannicking. Now, I realise that some of that money more then likely went to the Warlock project, but is it not also a possibility, that since all the nations seem to be working together, that some of that money also went towards things such as the Manhatten Project? Thoughts?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret
slander boldly, something always sticks
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Budget Cuts

Post by Awinnell on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 6:21

very unlikely in a Japanese anime that a Nuclear weapon would even get mentioned,and even if it did it wouldn't get called a nuke(think of Evangelions N2 mines )

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 6:42

@Awinnell wrote:very unlikely in a Japanese anime that a Nuclear weapon would even get mentioned,and even if it did it wouldn't get called a nuke(think of Evangelions N2 mines )
You make a good point, I kinda forgat that the Japanese might be a little twitchy about that. . But what other projects could the funding be going to besides Warlock? There must have been something else, the Nazis were always up to something, maybe improving on the StG 44 or that big 'Super Tank' thing Hitler wanted. I know the Nazi part doesn't exist in SW universe (least I think not), but Karlsland iseems to be the millitary scientific hub, and teh Nazis made a lot of Shite.
And I asked about this because I was thinking of feturing the Manhatten Project in my SW Fic, but any secret little projects are good.
Oh, and I thought the guy who thought up Strike Witches was Korean?

Three Dog

Male

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 6:46

@Awinnell wrote:very unlikely in a Japanese anime that a Nuclear weapon would even get mentioned...

Never seen an anime from the 1980s or 1990s, have you? Razz

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10883

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 6:50

Yeah they are mentioned in Gundam, full metal panic,
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 7:04

Tokyo getting nuked was a not uncommon theme in many anime from the 1980s and 1990s. I recall it being nuked at the start of Akira. It was also nuked in the WWIII anime Future War 198X.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10883

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 7:07

@Kiskaloo wrote:Tokyo getting nuked was a not uncommon theme in many anime from the 1980s and 1990s. I recall it being nuked at the start of Akira. It was also nuked in the WWIII anime Future War 198X.
Destroyed by monters and nukes?! Note to self: don't move to Tokyo

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 8:40

The average young Japanese person of today knows virtually jack shit about World War II. That is a fact. No-one would care about offending their sensibilities with regards to nukes and stuff.

As for the Manhattan Project, you'd think the war would've ended sooner with the advent of nuclear weapons. I subscribe to the notion that the money went elsewhere. Mention of panicking leaders makes me hypothesize that it went into financing subterranean settlements in preparation for the world being completely overrun by the Neuroi.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 8:43

@Nachtsider wrote:The average young Japanese person of today knows virtually jack shit about World War II. That is a fact.

As for the Manhattan Project, you'd think the war would've ended sooner with the advent of nuclear weapons. I subscribe to the notion that the money went elsewhere. Mention of panicking leaders makes me hypothesize that it went into financing subterranean settlements in preparation for the world being completely overrun by the Neuroi.

But you forget that nuclear weapons weren't ready for us till 1945. And they would have only used them in a last case scinario. Fun Fact: when the first nulcear bomb was tested in Mexico, the scients thought that there was a chance that it would set off a chain reaction and destroy the world. That is how desperate they were to end the war in reality, and having projects like Warlock avalible would jsut make them a little less desperate.

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 8:54

Destroyer of Worlds ;D wrote:But you forget that nuclear weapons weren't ready for us till 1945. And they would have only used them in a last case scinario. Fun Fact: when the first nulcear bomb was tested in Mexico, the scients thought that there was a chance that it would set off a chain reaction and destroy the world. That is how desperate they were to end the war in reality, and having projects like Warlock avalible would jsut make them a little less desperate.
I think the situation as outlined in Strike Witches was sufficiently dire that nukes would've been created most ricky-tick if such a project were conceived, and used as soon as they were available. The whole of Europe had been lain to waste, with only a few countries remaining as safe havens for humanity. If that's not a critical scenario, I know not what is.

As for the factoid you threw in, that's not how I remember it being described. Every piece of literature I've read on the subject indicates that the Manhattan Project team seriously underestimated the strength of their brainchild.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 9:01

they feared it might set off the atmospheric Hydrogen,but like a lot of things not everyone agreed and given the cost and effort involved test it they did,fortunately they were wrong about the chain reaction.

i seemed to remember the big thing about all the Gundam series is that the nukes are used once, then some technology renders all nuclear power useless hence the power constraints on the machines

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 20:23

Awinnell- that was a major plot point to gundam seed, and in the universal century there is a treaty banning them that they just choose not to follow
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 22:01

The budget cuts went to Warlock because the generals wanted them (the men) to get the praises and recognition of being the ones who brought victory to the war and not a bunch scatter brained broom flyers.

But one does not cut back on their military, especially when they are winning the war for you!

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5667

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Mon 23 Apr 2012 - 1:16

Imma getting the vibe that Neutronian Science isn't particularly popular in the SW universe. And those 'scatter brained broom fliers' had been holding the line a lot longer than the good General's men did, people like him...

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum