Which songs do you think suit a character?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which songs do you think suit a character?

Post by Tross on Wed 9 May 2012 - 20:04

Well, since we want to get back on topic in the Petrushka thread, but coming up with suitable songs for characters made for a good discussion, here's a thread where such discussion would be on topic. I can't be bothered to chronicle everything that has been posted on the subject so far, so if anyone wants to check it out, go to page 8 of Petra's thread. Fine, here's a link: http://gunslinger-girl.up-with.com/t523p350-petrushka#101134 That way you can see how this discussion developed. So, without further ado, let's get started. Obviously, there is more than one song out there that suits each character, and some songs out there that suit more than one character, and different people will probably think of different songs, or maybe even come up with more than one song per character, so there are no rules there. Heck, if you can come up with songs for things, or events, or whatever, that's fine too.

I'll start things off with some examples of my own. I really like this Austrian band called L'ame Immortelle. Some of their stuff works for this series.

I think this one suits Angelica. Note, it cuts off at the end, but it's still a good song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6RTVbILdQc

I think this one suits a number of characters, since a lot of characters in this series have suffered the loss of someone else. The Croces lost Enrica and Sophia. Claes lost her handler Roballo, and even though she was conditioned to forget about him, it's clear that she never truly did. Caterina lost her father. Marco lost Angelica, and long since broke things off with Patricia. Anyways, I really like this song too.

Alright, I hope that's enough of a catalyst to get things started. Now have fun! cheers
Tross

Male

Forum Posts : 122

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : None. I don't write fanfic.

Comments : N/A

Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Which songs do you think suit a character?

Post by Nachtsider on Wed 9 May 2012 - 22:49

Unnecessary spoiler tags are unnecessary. Why even put them in? It's not like that stuff's top secret.

(ahem)

This is Rico's song. Take a look at the lyrics and you'll understand why.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tross on Wed 9 May 2012 - 23:15

Wow, that song really does suit Rico. I couldn't have come up with a better song for her. I put the spoilers there in case there were a few people who didn't know about certain things. But, I guess in this community, nothing like that is a secret. Since you think they're unnecessary, I won't worry about it. That does make things easier anyways.
Tross

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 10 May 2012 - 0:04

You can tell I'm fedup about the 'spoilers are SRS BZNZ' attitude that people adopt on other forums. Razz

Time for another song - think of this one as Rachelle's dying words to Triela.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 10 May 2012 - 0:05

Also, dayum, dude. I'm totally in love with the song you posted. The replay button would be accusing me of molestation right now if it were a person. :rock

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tross on Thu 10 May 2012 - 1:57

Great song choice for Rachelle. Which one did you like? I'm assuming it's the one that actually worked with the bbcode as opposed to the one that had to be left as a link. L'ame Immortelle wouldn't be very well known around these parts, since it is a band that only tours around Europe, as far as I know. Puzzled A band like that probably wouldn't have been as successful if they were based in NA. I learned about them through a friend who's really into EU metal and other similar genres. L'ame Immortelle are unique even for EU bands though. The two lead singers come together to create a mix of death metal and soft female vocals, and unlike most bi-lingual EU bands, they don't sing a song in their native language(German) and then do an English version, which follows the same tune and number of syllables, but is rarely quite as good as the original, and is usually dubbed over the original music video. Instead they keep their German songs in German, and the stuff they sing in English was originally sung in English. Their band name is in French, and means either 'I am immortal" or "we are immortal", but they don't sing in French.

Anyways, the stuff I posted is just the tip of the iceberg. They have a ton of songs, and though I don't like absolutely everything of theirs, each of their songs are different enough, and the ones I like, I like a lot. This band isn't afraid to let one of the two lead singers(Sonia and Thomas) have the occasional solo song, meaning, they can sing a song alone, as opposed to always having to do a duet with the other person, or hook up with another band for a song without having to stay with the entire band the whole time. That flexibility also lends to the variety of their music. I've come across way more Sonia solo songs than Thomas solo songs, but I'm more of a Sonia fan anyways, and tend to be less fond of Thomas's solo stuff, though there are two of his songs that I like a lot too. Also, Thomas can sing without going the death metal route, and Sonia can have a metal edge to her voice too. Regardless I think Sonia's voice is other worldly. A lot of their stuff ranges from a little on the depressing side to downright morbid, but though "Life Will Never be the Same Again" isn't that depressing by comparison to some of their stuff, "Last Will" is definitely up there.
If you like either of those, you might like this one:

I guess I wrote a novel on the subject, but I'm happy to introduce people to music they wouldn't normally hear. I guess that's another benefit of this thread, and I hope as many people participate in it as possible. I'm sure some have music that I haven't heard too.
Tross

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Thu 10 May 2012 - 5:25

THere's some pretty good stuff here. A little on the morbid side, but that's just my opinion. A guess GsG is a little morbid anyway, so it works.
Well, I can't post pictures, but lets see if videos will work for me. I think this song suits Rico the best out of any og the girls, because it seems to sum up her attitude pretty well.
HELL MOTHER FUCKING YES!
pics won't work for me, but vids do! HA-ha! What's that I smell... my victory?
Sorry, I'm just happy it worked
And hee's one for Pinocchio:
Them's one my fave bands

Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret
slander boldly, something always sticks
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Thu 10 May 2012 - 17:46

Having a good time, yes?

Elsa song: sticking with 'Mad World'. 'The End' by Linkin Park was suggested, and I think the lyrics are a good fit, but the music itself seems way too angry and hormonal. If it comes on the radio while I'm booking down the E-way, I start passing cars on the shoulder. We're talking about a girl who leads her lover to the location of the happiest moment she can remember, then, on a still winter night just before Christmas, puts a bullet in the back of his head; then, after a moment of reflection, turns the gun on herself and looks Death in the eye before pulling the trigger. I think we need something a little more downbeat. Maybe if Sara Maclaclan did of version of it...
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Thu 10 May 2012 - 20:05

@Thescarredman wrote:Having a good time, yes?
Much fun indeed

@Thescarredman wrote:Elsa song: sticking with 'Mad World'. 'The End' by Linkin Park was suggested, and I think the lyrics are a good fit, but the music itself seems way too angry and hormonal. If it comes on the radio while I'm booking down the E-way, I start passing cars on the shoulder. We're talking about a girl who leads her lover to the location of the happiest moment she can remember, then, on a still winter night just before Christmas, puts a bullet in the back of his head; then, after a moment of reflection, turns the gun on herself and looks Death in the eye before pulling the trigger. I think we need something a little more downbeat. Maybe if Sara Maclaclan did of version of it...
I think you might be right there, too upbeat. But which version of the song have you heard, becuase there are two. One's really fast and angry, the other is a lot more meloncholy.

Got one that I think applies to how all cyborgs feel about thier Handers (minus Elsa at her end though):

Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret
slander boldly, something always sticks
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum