Yikes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yikes

Post by Nachtsider on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 2:52

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=273504&Number=3103084#Post3103084

So much for the DSR-1 being the ultimate sniper rifle, if this guy's legit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Yikes

Post by Three Dog on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 3:59

Yikes indeed, that thing sounds like a piece of crap. Looks cool though...

However, I can't fr the life of me figure out why it has two places to load the magazine. Unless the foward one is just to hold a spare magazine, since it's a bullpup.

Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret
slander boldly, something always sticks
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 4:02

Yeah, that thing's just a spare mag holder.

This report's left me pretty shocked, in light of how everyone prior has treated this thing like it's the second coming of Christ.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 4:03

Well I certainly don't know enough about guns, and sniper rifles even less-so than usual, to make comment.... but he doesn't seem to like it much does he?

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5730

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 4:28

@Alfisti wrote:Well I certainly don't know enough about guns, and sniper rifles even less-so than usual, to make comment.... but he doesn't seem to like it much does he?
Hmm, how can I explain this...
Basically he says that if yu dan't screw the bolts back into place after 30 shots, the thing falls apart or thereabouts. At least that's what I gathered.

Three Dog

Male

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 8:28

L115A3 rifle,

3 hits at a range of 2,475 m (2,707 yd) ,two machine gunners and their gun,personally i think thats the best sniper rifle

The external ballistics software program JBM Ballistics predicts that the bullets of British high pressure .338 Lapua Magnum cartridges using 16.2 g (250 gr) Lapua LockBase B408 bullets fired at 936 m/s (3,071 ft/s) muzzle velocity under International Standard Atmosphere conditions at 1,043 m (3,422 ft) elevation (air density ρ = 1.069 kg/m3) and assuming a flat fire scenario and a 100 m (109 yd) zero arrive at 2,475 m (2,707 yd) after approximately 6.017 seconds flight time at 251.8 m/s (826 ft/s) velocity and have dropped 120.95 m (396.8 ft) or in angular units 48.9 milliradian (168 MOA) on their way. Harrison had to use the P4 reticle offering 0.5 mil spaced holdover hash marks in his 5-25x56 telescopic sight to compensate for the lack of vertical aiming correction and thus achieve the required aiming solution. The long horizontal line at 5x zoom or magnification represent 49.09 milliradian (168.6 MOA) or slightly over the required assumed vertical elevation.

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 8:31

Destroyer of Worlds ;D wrote:
@Alfisti wrote:Well I certainly don't know enough about guns, and sniper rifles even less-so than usual, to make comment.... but he doesn't seem to like it much does he?
Hmm, how can I explain this...
Basically he says that if yu dan't screw the bolts back into place after 30 shots, the thing falls apart or thereabouts. At least that's what I gathered.
I do that with my old Alfa all the time, personally I don't see a problem.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5730

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 11:30

Kara has the DSR-1, but I guess I can move her to the Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout or just give her the Walther WA 2000 in the armory.

Kara: "I want the Walther."

Laine: "Because it's expensive, right?"

Kara: "Well, duh."

Claes: ...ugh.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10887

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 13:24

I'm partial to the tac 50, denali, or the barret 50cal myself

Rico wants big boom
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 14:10

No M2, CI?

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5667

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 14:31

Well rico is more of a sniper but i think the M2 fits her personality.
crazyidiot78

Male

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 18:09

I've come across indications that the DSR-1 is heavy and expensive compared to some quite capable competition, but I don't remember it's durability and ability to maintain its accuracy getting slammed this hard.

While I'm not sure I'd write this off entirely, there are some things about this report that seem suspicious. For one thing it seem very strange that a Marine Scout Sniper platoon would be equipped with DSR-1's and Oberland M6s (a German built AR-10 style rifle) instead of standard issue USMC weaponry. Also while "it's used by an elite unit" may not be the be all and end all argument in this type of thing, I find it strange that a world class counter-terrorism unit like GSG-9 would be using these rifles if they couldn't even maintain their accuracy for more than about thirty rounds without maintenance. Do you really think GSG-9 snipers practice so little that they wouldn't notice a problem like that?

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 22:56

@crazyidiot78 wrote:Well rico is more of a sniper but i think the M2 fits her personality.
Whack a rifle sight on that thing, switch to semi auto, and there's your sniper. And there's 900 rounds before you nedd to reload.
People were doing this in WWII and 'Nam. I'd give you some examples, but I pretty sure it's been talked about somewhere here before.

And if it's a 'big bang' you want, get the Denel-Mecham NTW 20mm. The explosive round is used to destroy radio towers and the like, and the armour piercing incendiary can shoot through not only a tank, but the tank behind it as well (this my be a slight exageration).

Though realistically speaking (and I'm assuming we're talking about Jean's Rico, so correct me if I'm wrong) since she's already familiar with the Dragunov SVD, just gove her the SVU variant. Basically the same, but it's bullpup, so better suited to the urban combat the cyborgs deal in. Or an M14 EBR with a Bete C-mag, not bullpup, but got's a lot of rounds. Or just any Battl rifle with a scope.

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sun 10 Jun 2012 - 0:03

Sorry I meant the Denel 20mm earlier
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sun 10 Jun 2012 - 0:22

@Piero wrote:I've come across indications that the DSR-1 is heavy and expensive compared to some quite capable competition, but I don't remember it's durability and ability to maintain its accuracy getting slammed this hard.

While I'm not sure I'd write this off entirely, there are some things about this report that seem suspicious. For one thing it seem very strange that a Marine Scout Sniper platoon would be equipped with DSR-1's and Oberland M6s (a German built AR-10 style rifle) instead of standard issue USMC weaponry. Also while "it's used by an elite unit" may not be the be all and end all argument in this type of thing, I find it strange that a world class counter-terrorism unit like GSG-9 would be using these rifles if they couldn't even maintain their accuracy for more than about thirty rounds without maintenance. Do you really think GSG-9 snipers practice so little that they wouldn't notice a problem like that?
The guy stated that he was a retired Scout Sniper, now working with a foreign unit.

As for GSG-9, who knows. I've seen instances of units around the globe being saddled and forced to make do with shit weapons due to politics (read: defence contracts and budget). Also, perhaps the rifle functions well in practice situations, but doesn't do well in the field.
Note further that the GSG-9, unlike the Marines, do not engage in operations on a super-regular basis.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Sun 10 Jun 2012 - 3:19

Alpha: All I know...is nobody better get between me and my Maadi.

The Power of Claes Compels You!!!
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2561

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 10 Jun 2012 - 11:40

@Nachtsider wrote:
@Piero wrote:I've come across indications that the DSR-1 is heavy and expensive compared to some quite capable competition, but I don't remember it's durability and ability to maintain its accuracy getting slammed this hard.

The guy stated that he was a retired Scout Sniper, now working with a foreign unit.

As for GSG-9, who knows. I've seen instances of units around the globe being saddled and forced to make do with shit weapons due to politics (read: defence contracts and budget). Also, perhaps the rifle functions well in practice situations, but doesn't do well in the field.
Note further that the GSG-9, unlike the Marines, do not engage in operations on a super-regular basis.

Hmmm... he does say he's a former Scout Sniper, but he also describes himself as the commander of a scout-sniper platoon on a foreign project. While the "on a foreign project" bit could mean he's helping another country train a special unit, he describes himself as the commander, not an advisor.

DSR Precision is not Heckler & Koch, I suspect their political clout is pretty limited. And what sort of budget limitations gets your unit stuck with rifles that cost $20,000 a piece? (Even if that price includes the scope.)

The part about the rifle losing accuracy/zero every 20-30 rounds due to barrel bolts coming loose says nothing about the problem only cropping up under field conditions. It makes it sound like the rifle does this consistently just from being fired. And I think its safe to say that acquiring and maintaining the skills of a sniper in one of the best counter terrorism units in the world requires firing more than 20-30 rounds.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Mon 11 Jun 2012 - 15:01

@crazyidiot78 wrote:Well rico is more of a sniper but i think the M2 fits her personality.
Whack a rifle sight on that thing, switch to semi auto, and there's your sniper. And there's 900 rounds before you nedd to reload.
People were doing this in WWII and 'Nam. I'd give you some examples, but I pretty sure it's been talked about somewhere here before.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1470

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 on Mon 11 Jun 2012 - 20:07

>M14 EBR
>Beta-C drum mag

Not a good idea. Snipers are not support gunners. Beta C-drums are for support gunners. They are also highly unreliable in the field (and many times, even in controlled conditions), therefore most troops carry standard 20-round mags for this reason. If for some reason you need to load your battle rifle with a drum magazine, then you fail as a sniper/designated marksman.

I aim to misbehave.

MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Mon 11 Jun 2012 - 20:18

@MP5 wrote:
>M14 EBR
>Beta-C drum mag

Not a good idea. Snipers are not support gunners. Beta C-drums are for support gunners. They are also highly unreliable in the field (and many times, even in controlled conditions), therefore most troops carry standard 20-round mags for this reason. If for some reason you need to load your battle rifle with a drum magazine, then you fail as a sniper/designated marksman.
That actually makes sense now that I think about it...

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Wed 13 Jun 2012 - 4:21

The DSR-1 is like the HK416 in that sense (no offense to HK fans) - the people who are most enamored with it probably have no chance of ever firing one.

That said, I'm not really surprised its bad. It's overdesigned. It looks like the leaders these days are AR-10 derivatives in .308 and high-end bolt guns with a conventional layout in .338 Lapua.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of : N/A

Original Characters : N/A

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down