The ending!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The ending!

Post by chalupa on Sat 6 Oct 2012 - 3:30

So I got inspired after the manga ended and wrote this kind of essay, but then realized I realized I had to post it somewhere in order to justify spending hours writing this instead of working on my thesis or finding a job...so I found this forum and this is my tl;dr wall of text first post. (sorry) Let me know what you think. Oh, and the rest of this post contains major spoilers for the entire series.

Spoiler:

Character deaths/non-deaths:
I was pretty satisfied with Henrietta’s killing Jose; it struck me as an appropriate, though tragic, end for the two of them. Apparently Jose felt the same way—“I’m going to die by Henrietta’s hand. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing.” The thing that made their deaths particularly sad was Jose’s order: “if you really meant that, then fulfill your promise.” This was in reference to Henrietta’s promise during the Elsa de Sica arc; if she loved someone and that person did not love her back, then she would kill that person and herself. In other words, Jose admitted that he didn't love her, so she should kill him and then herself. And he did so while looking like a psychopath … which made Henrietta’s tearful smile seem like a weird response. Anyway, RIP, main fratello.

Not only did Rico avoid getting cyborg-Alzheimer’s (or it wasn’t explicitly stated that she had memory-loss like Henrietta, Angelica, and Triela did, at least,) but she also lived through Giacomo’s little nuke-heist. And she blew a hole through Jean, kind of as a bonus. jk, jk… that was on his orders, and if one ignores the immorality inherent in using child-cyborg assassins for revenge-related purposes, then he was reasonably nice to her through most of the series (that Jean kept a photo of Rico in his office—granted she was probably long dead by that point—was a sweet touch.) The Jean/Rico pair was the most assassin-like (I guess) of all the main fratellos, so the fact that both characters lived and retained their fondness for each other was a welcome surprise.

I wanted Triela to live, but her dying together with Victor (I can’t spell his other name) after killing about fifty people was, from a storytelling standpoint, the most satisfying end for them, imo. Triela and Victor both stated that they wanted to die together, after all, and Triela knew she didn’t have long to live. The poem Victor sent Roberta conveyed his sentiments well enough, although I also found it kind of hysterical, since instead of comforting Roberta, Victor goes with a “abandon your wife and kids and die a manly death in battle” theme. I loved that Nietzchean “war is God” vibe. Anyway, bittersweet end for the Victor/Triela fratello.

Oh, but the egg-stealing thing was kind of weird. “What does your mom do, Triela2?” (I don’t want to write her name over and over, so that’s what I’m going to call her daughter.) “Oh, her? She was a cyborg assassin. Died fighting terrorists. What about yours?”

And who the hell was her father? She looks like Triela, Rico and Henrietta’s demented moe-lovechild.

Overall:
It seemed like Yu has been wanting to end the series for awhile now. This is most evident in the introduction of Giacomo as the major villain. Giacomo gives the Croce brothers, at least, a concrete obstacle to overcome, meaning that with Giacomo's downfall the series can end. I preferred Yu's earlier emphasis on terrorism as a more existential and ideological issue. This emphasis allowed Yu to devote some of the early chapters to the motivations and relationships between people who happened to engage in terrorism. For instance, Yu showed how Franco, Franca and Pino’s relationships, actions and deaths resulted in future events—namely Cristiano’s exacting vengeance against the social welfare agency (SWA.) While Giacomo’s murder of Jean and Jose’s family served as a catalyst for everything Jean and Jose did throughout the entire series, Giacomo still seemed tacked-on insofar as he wasn’t related to the rest of the cast in any meaningful way, and could have been replaced with anyone else without altering the story. He was just a terrorist who fought because “that's what people have done throughout history.” (orly?) Giacomo, in short, came off as a depth-less plot device whose sole purpose was to be captured so the series could end.

Speaking of endings, I expected GsG to end with the SWA being betrayed and wiped out by the government. Instead, the government started to do this, and then apparently lost interest. When the military invaded the SWA headquarters, it was Claes (of all people) who confronted them (ie: lectured them on not trampling her garden until a soldier mentioned the name of her dead handler for no discernable reason and made her cry) and then the soldiers felt bad and decided not to destroy the SWA. So then the higher-ups said fuck it and quietly decommissioned the SWA and reassigned its personnel to other posts. At least I think that’s what happened; it wasn’t all that clear. The story’s resolution, in short, seemed to involve everyone simultaneously losing interest in fighting. On one hand, this approach made the ending seem rushed and uninspired, especially when compared to the early chapters. At the same time, however, the SWA’s departure struck me as more realistic than the alternative; a government probably wouldn’t want to waste the resources and manpower hunting down loyal members of an internal organization when they could just have them do something else…or the same thing, only maybe without cyborgs. Overall, the resolution fit with the series’ muted and tragic tone; a tone that seems to whisper ‘suffering is inherent in the human condition, but we must keep going and persevere.’ This is just my inference, though. If Yu was going for some kind of unifying theme with this ending, I have no idea what it was.

The final chapter seemed to rush toward the ending without addressing any loose ends, suggesting, once again, that Yu just wanted to finish things up. (A redundant point, I suppose. And I don't blame him for wanting to complete the series.) On the other hand, that Yu devoted most of the final chapter to Triela2 also indicated that the loose ends—or more accurately old plot points that could be elaborated upon—were unimportant when compared to the future. Take the last two times we saw Jean, for instance. In chapter 99, he seemed like a broken and defeated man. He carried out his revenge, but lost the only family member he had left in the process. I halfway expected him to fall into a deep pit of despair and start mumbling to himself in a corner, thus demonstrating the futility of revenge. Instead, after the time skip in chapter 100 Jean was still leading the fight against terrorism. It doesn’t matter how Jean got over his brother’s death and sudden lack of purpose; what’s important is that he moved on and continued doing what he felt was right. (Not that he really grew as a character, if his comment that Giacomo should hope no one breaks him out of prison is any indication, as he was implying he would try to get revenge…again.) We don’t know what happened to the rest of the cast (Claes probably continued doing nothing, Petruschka re-got her cancer, and the rest of the agency did whatever), but their omission suggests that any role they had to play in the post-time skip story was minimal. This ‘life goes on’ theme is certainly realistic, but I still can’t shake the feeling that things were rushed, or that Yu had nothing meaningful to say about the rest of the cast.

On a final note, there was a clear parallel between the incredibly creepy situation Triela2 found herself in while visiting that movie-making pumpkin guy (“those are for you”… RUN, GIRL, RUN!!) and Triela’s tragic role in a snuff film. That Triela2 trusted the movie-making pumpkin guy and wasn’t horribly assaulted like her mother was suits the manga’s final line perfectly; “there is still hope in this world.” This tie-in makes the otherwise disconnected final chapter fit in well with the rest of the series, since it depicts how past events resulted (kind of) in the present. Still can’t hide the lack of closure, but this may have been intentional on Yu’s part.

Last edited by chalupa on Sat 6 Oct 2012 - 3:43; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : formatting)

chalupa

Male

Forum Posts : 6

Fan of : Triela...

Original Characters : na

Comments : These questions are hard

Registration date : 2012-10-06

Back to top Go down

Re: The ending!

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika on Sat 6 Oct 2012 - 4:11

i agree with you 67%
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Forum Posts : 1169

Fan of : no one

Original Characters : sooo many

Comments : "Should i shoot you, or stab you?"

Registration date : 2012-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndist on Sat 6 Oct 2012 - 7:43

you've said everything I wanted to say...Cheer for the old SWA and what's left of it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Your world as you knew it is gone. How far would you go to bring it back? "
Lyndist

Male

Forum Posts : 434

Fan of : Yu Aida

Original Characters : Phong Linh . Silvya SilverFox

Comments : I'm back

Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sat 6 Oct 2012 - 13:13

Spoiler:

In spy fiction, deaths are often as impermanent as they are in super-hero comics, but I suspect Petra's death wasn't faked as part of conspiracy or plan.

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Forum Posts : 1172

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sat 6 Oct 2012 - 17:02

A most excellent first post, Chalupa. Now go to the Hello There! thread and introduce yourself properly.
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1889

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy on Sat 6 Oct 2012 - 22:33

In a way it makes sense that Yu didn't go into who Speranza's father is. There's no definite answer that wouldn't be a bit creepy. I mean, saving Triela's eggs is one thing but Hilshire saving his seed would have been off the wall. And there's no one else really to do it. Not once in chapter did Speranza hint that Hilshire was her father, or anyone else for that matter. So let's just say it was a random donor and Speranza takes after her mother -a lot-.

If anything she looks like a combo of Tirela and Rachelle, taking after both of them, Speranza wanting to be a doctor and all.

MASH THIS LINK
Entropy

Male

Forum Posts : 347

Original Characters : Livia/Nero

Comments : The wonderful human being previously known as tsundere357

Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sun 7 Oct 2012 - 2:05

I have to admit, the smile on Roberta’s face when Speranza told her that Fugo was German was really cute.

“I don’t hate him specifically, it’s the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.”
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sun 7 Oct 2012 - 3:40

It could have been Bossi, for all anyone knows.

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika on Sun 7 Oct 2012 - 4:18

@Danjo3 wrote:I have to admit, the smile on Roberta’s face when Speranza told her that Fugo was German was really cute.

that..this theorize if the sperm donor was really a german guy....hmmmm
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sun 7 Oct 2012 - 6:05

I think Roberta was thinking, “Like mother like daughter”.

“I don’t hate him specifically, it’s the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.”
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by chalupa on Sun 7 Oct 2012 - 15:42

Thanks for the replies!

KuroNeko wrote:i agree with you 67%

That's a very specific number, lol. What's the 33%, if you don't mind my asking?

Spoiler:
In spy fiction, deaths are often as impermanent as they are in super-hero
comics, but I suspect Petra's death wasn't faked as part of conspiracy
or plan.

Spoiler:
Wasn't it only implied that she died?

@entropy wrote:
In a way it makes sense that Yu didn't go into who Speranza's father is.
There's no definite answer that wouldn't be a bit creepy. I mean,
saving Triela's eggs is one thing but Hilshire saving his seed would
have been off the wall. And there's no one else really to do it. Not
once in chapter did Speranza hint that Hilshire was her father, or
anyone else for that matter. So let's just say it was a random donor and
Speranza takes after her mother -a lot-.

That's a safe assumption. Makes more sense than Hilshire being the father.

chalupa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JameyoftheMegacosmos on Mon 8 Oct 2012 - 23:42

My dad's going to like about this. He really likes Rico.

And at least it's something happy in the end.

JameyoftheMegacosmos

Male

Forum Posts : 167

Fan of : Crossovers

Original Characters : Henrietta and Jose

Comments : Very interested in the series. Like to learn more.

Registration date : 2011-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 0:47

Spoiler:

I'm not so sure that qualifies as 'implied'.

taerKitty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika on Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 4:59

@chalupa wrote:Thanks for the replies!

KuroNeko wrote:i agree with you 67%

That's a very specific number, lol. What's the 33%, if you don't mind my asking?

Spoiler:
In spy fiction, deaths are often as impermanent as they are in super-hero
comics, but I suspect Petra's death wasn't faked as part of conspiracy
or plan.

Spoiler:
Wasn't it only implied that she died?

@entropy wrote:
In a way it makes sense that Yu didn't go into who Speranza's father is.
There's no definite answer that wouldn't be a bit creepy. I mean,
saving Triela's eggs is one thing but Hilshire saving his seed would
have been off the wall. And there's no one else really to do it. Not
once in chapter did Speranza hint that Hilshire was her father, or
anyone else for that matter. So let's just say it was a random donor and
Speranza takes after her mother -a lot-.

That's a safe assumption. Makes more sense than Hilshire being the father.
something bothering me about the deduction of the ending....
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chalupa on Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 16:53

@taerkitty wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm not so sure that qualifies as 'implied'.

That's Alexei saying she died, not Sandro. (They look the same, but Alexei's wearing a sweatshirt and doesn't have of piercings.) I assume the agency told (ie: lied to) him Petra died soon after she was turned into a cyborg, and he's just reciting the story. His comment doesn't mean that she was dead by this point in the story, although the fact that she didn't accompany Sandro to Russia certainly implies as much.

@Kuroneko: I'm sure I was wrong on more than a few points.

Last edited by chalupa on Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 16:58; edited 1 time in total

chalupa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 16:56

Good point. Still, I think she's quite dead at this point.

taerKitty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chalupa on Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 17:01

@taerkitty wrote:Good point. Still, I think she's quite dead at this point.

Yeah, there's a good chance she's gone.

chalupa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by noble_gases on Mon 15 Oct 2012 - 12:12

It's been a while since I joined these forums. My...I come back to find out that GSG's already finished...The feels.

"Let doubt take over and despair will cripple you." -Lightning
noble_gases

Female

Forum Posts : 10

Registration date : 2011-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Mon 15 Oct 2012 - 15:34

I know.... I be very sad me self. Sad
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1975

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum