Fashion with Gina

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fashion with Gina

Post by Piero on Sun 9 Dec 2012 - 18:29

I've been thinking of revising some of my old OCs (again). As part of this I'd like to ask for attire suggestions for some of them. The first character I've decided to do this for is Gina, a blonde haired second gen with exceptional marksmanship and a reputation for hitting on her fellow cyborgs. (While there are differences between the two of them I've sometimes thought a decent shorthand way to describe her would be as a lesbian version of Full Metal Panic's Kurz Weber.) She's one of only a few mature looking cyborgs among my OCs, and she's got more of a sense of flare than a lot of my other characters.

I've tended to imagine her wearing a red leather jacket over a white button up shirt, a pleated black skirt, and a pair of brown, ankle high boots. However I've sometimes wondered if that outfit would actually end up looking pretty ridiculous. Even if its not only cartoon characters were the same bloody thing every day. I need to get some more ideas for her.

One challenge with Gina is concealing the pistol she usually chooses to carry. She's got some smaller ones like a Beretta 85F and a Walther/Manurhin PPK-L, but her main pistol is a full size Bernardelli P.One (with a factory chrome finish and aftermarket wood grip panels). The P.One is rather slim for a pistol with a double stack magazine but its also 213mm in length (meaning its about the length of a full size M1911).

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Fashion with Gina

Post by tremec6speed on Mon 10 Dec 2012 - 2:09

Well she sounds cool, I gotta say!
Anyone in particular she has hit upon? Wink
Petra: Help, Sandro she's coming on to me and I don't know how to deal with it....
Sandro: Just go with the flow! Don't worry I'll be uh, keeping an eye on things from here!
Petra:..... Embarassed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1975

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 10 Dec 2012 - 7:03

Well, as long as the boots were a tan and she wore a similarly hued belt to match them into the outfit I think it'd be fine...

So, the impression I'm getting is her style is outgoing and a bit flashy, but without really stepping much outside the mainstream? So not jumping into, for example, some hipster threads or Monty's more flamboyantly retro looks? Assumedly she's not adverse to feminine clothing, but not super girly... and not exactly at the super butch end of female fashion sense either? Just trying to get my head around where to start looking.

Also: height, body shape? (per reboot).

I'm assuming her personality errs toward the outgoing Razz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5765

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 10 Dec 2012 - 21:25

You've actually got a pretty good sense of what I'm looking for there. Nice guessing.

One thing I'm fairly sure of is that she generally avoids anything with high heels (not the most practical thing to wear if you expect to get in a gunfight).

Personality is not only outgoing, but a bit opinionated as well. :p

I don't think her build and such has actually been tampered with very much. I think her handler just shrugged and said "I think she looks fine as she is." Adamo is a soldier, he cares more about her combat abilities than her appearance (though Gina is supposed to be reasonably good looking -I didn't compare her to Kurz for nothing).

I have sometimes wondered a bit about her hair color, it would stick out a bit in Italy. But then the red jacket might not be such a problem if she already stands out due to her hair. (Her hair is pretty long, by the way. Definitely one of her more distinctive features.)

Her previous profile listed her as 5'6, though I've considered upping that a bit. She's definitely not a child. I hadn't actually given too much through to her body type. I imagine its nothing on the extreme ends of the spectrum though

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 10 Dec 2012 - 21:59

@Piero wrote:I have sometimes wondered a bit about her hair color, it would stick out a bit in Italy.

I've seen a fair amount of blondes in Italy (demographics show some 16% of the female population are blonde).

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10901

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 11 Dec 2012 - 6:14

I dunno, 5'6" seems like a pretty ok height to a woman to me. I'll be honest: a lot of the heights I see for OCs seem ridiculously tall, I can't help but wonder if it's a US thing... but even then, though I don't have my anthropometrics book with me, from memory Monty at 5'4" is scraping the bottom end of "average" for a fully grown woman.

As for blonde hair: again, I don't think it will be too much of an issue, particularly in the north of Italy.

Re bodytype... well, I know what I'm picturing in my head: pretty average build, not what would be rightly described as "slender", but certainly not fat or heavy set either... probably erring toward a bit of feminine curve. Resonably attractive; enough to draw the casual male (or female) glance in a crowd... and be worth a second, possibly a bit more if she dressed up a bit or the observer has leanings toward her type... but otherwise the sort of attractive which will be, if not completely forgotten, then pushed from the forefront of the viewer's mind as the next bit of decent eye-candy comes along? Again, like her dress (and I really hope this doesn't sound derogatory, because it's not meant to be) a fairly "mainstream" attractiveness, not the doubletake "hey, that's unusual... but I like it."

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Tue 11 Dec 2012 - 18:17

@Piero wrote:I've been thinking of revising some of my old OCs (again). As part of this I'd like to ask for attire suggestions for some of them. The first character I've decided to do this for is Gina, a blonde haired second gen with exceptional marksmanship and a reputation for hitting on her fellow cyborgs. (While there are differences between the two of them I've sometimes thought a decent shorthand way to describe her would be as a lesbian version of Full Metal Panic's Kurz Weber.) She's one of only a few mature looking cyborgs among my OCs, and she's got more of a sense of flare than a lot of my other characters.

I've tended to imagine her wearing a red leather jacket over a white button up shirt, a pleated black skirt, and a pair of brown, ankle high boots. However I've sometimes wondered if that outfit would actually end up looking pretty ridiculous. Even if its not only cartoon characters were the same bloody thing every day. I need to get some more ideas for her.

One challenge with Gina is concealing the pistol she usually chooses to carry. She's got some smaller ones like a Beretta 85F and a Walther/Manurhin PPK-L, but her main pistol is a full size Bernardelli P.One (with a factory chrome finish and aftermarket wood grip panels). The P.One is rather slim for a pistol with a double stack magazine but its also 213mm in length (meaning its about the length of a full size M1911).
I know next to nothing of clothing, but I can give you some feedback about the guns.

Button up shirt = great for concealing a weapon. Skirt, not so much. Considering 5'4 is the average height for a woman, she's more or less giving the impression of average structure and height for an adult - if she just happens to be a rather tall teenager, then concealing a weapon is going to be a little harder.

Skirt means the muzzle has to be fairly short. I actually picked out a lot of guns like this for Gene and Kris. A single-stack compact pistol is wonderful for concealed carry. With a steel frame, you get lots of recoil absorption. So your Beretta 85 and the PPk are both great choices. However, I don't think that Benardelli would make too much sense, so I'd probably relegate that to a "fighting loadout" she wears if a battle is expected.

To bridge the gap, you could go for a .380 ACP pistol that carries some more rounds, like I did with Gene. He uses a Beretta 84, which carries almost twice as much ammo. Some other good options are the Cz82 / Cz83, Bersa Thunder and Glock 25 / 28.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of : N/A

Original Characters : N/A

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 11 Dec 2012 - 21:04

I seem to remember LOC more or less saying that by his observation about 25% of people in Northern Italy had blonde hair, but that the number got a lot smaller if you only included those with naturally blonde hair. Laughing Then again in some cases it might be difficult to tell from a casual inspection and 25% is actually decently high.

If the 2001 survey wikipedia cites is accurate then 5'6 is dead average for young woman in Italy (the age for the survey was 21).

Yeah, I'm looking for her to stand out somewhat, but not to a ridiculous degree. Also I figure she likes most of her outfits to be at least somewhat practical in addition to being good looking. I figure she chooses most of her outfits herself.

As far as concealing her weaponry goes, her outfit isn't set in stone at this point, nor is her sidearm. I'm a bit curious as to what sort of carry option you were thinking she'd be using in terms of holster type/location. Yeah, she pretty much looks like an adult. Also, does skirt length factor into things at all?

Though part of me wonders if the concealed carry discussion might be better as a seperate topic. There are actually a bunch of characters I have with those sorts of issues to work out.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Tue 11 Dec 2012 - 23:32

@Piero wrote:I seem to remember LOC more or less saying that by his observation about 25% of people in Northern Italy had blonde hair, but that the number got a lot smaller if you only included those with naturally blonde hair. Then again in some cases it might be difficult to tell from a casual inspection and 25% is actually decently high.

If the 2001 survey wikipedia cites is accurate then 5'6 is dead average for young woman in Italy (the age for the survey was 21).

Yeah, I'm looking for her to stand out somewhat, but not to a ridiculous degree. Also I figure she likes most of her outfits to be at least somewhat practical in addition to being good looking. I figure she chooses most of her outfits herself.
Yeah, I was thinking US average, but it seems like in general it's about five and a half feet for an adult woman.

@Piero wrote:As far as concealing her weaponry goes, her outfit isn't set in stone at this point, nor is her sidearm. I'm a bit curious as to what sort of carry option you were thinking she'd be using in terms of holster type/location. Yeah, she pretty much looks like an adult. Also, does skirt length factor into things at all?

Though part of me wonders if the concealed carry discussion might be better as a seperate topic. There are actually a bunch of characters I have with those sorts of issues to work out.
It's brought up all the time, really.

Assuming your jacket is worn consistently, a shoulder holster is a pretty good option. Its just... ever have to take it off and everyone can see your gun. It's one of the easier ways to carry a large handgun like the Benardelli, a 92F or a Sig P226.

The most common holsters, male and female are a hip holster, either outside of the belt and concealed by a shirt or within the waistband so only the grip protrudes. IWB (Inside-Waist-Band) holsters are versatile and can conceal very well if you have just a shirt to cover them up, or a jacket, but they do take a lot of coordination with your garments. Most people have to wear pants a size larger, and its a little iffy working with a skirt. Usually length of slide and muzzle doesn't matter with pants, but they are an issue for skirts, or tighter-fitting jeans. So this is where a truly compact handgun shines. I think the PPk, Beretta 80 series and J-frame revolvers are what fit the bill, so essentially what you're using already.

Pistol in an IWB and a spare magazine somewhere, or revolver and a reload is a good setup. You have standard IWBs which just have clips attached them, ones with trailing belt loops for a flatter overall shape, and unique designs like the Remora and Vanguard holsters which don't use a conventional attachment system and have a very slim holster profile.

Then there's purse carry, which allows larger handguns as well. Ankle holsters are an option, but they're restricted by your footware, and especially size of guns. There are also garter holsters that could be hidden under a skirt, though again, they're for very tiny handguns (most movie examples use a .25 or .32 ACP.) They also market some designs which conceal under your shirt, sometimes an elastic band around the chest (or under the bust.) There's even a company which makes a holster clipped to the bottom of a brassiere called the "flashbang."

This youtube user is good for information on female carry.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein
John_234

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Wed 12 Dec 2012 - 2:28

@Piero wrote:IYeah, I'm looking for her to stand out somewhat, but not to a ridiculous degree. Also I figure she likes most of her outfits to be at least somewhat practical in addition to being good looking. I figure she chooses most of her outfits herself.

As far as concealing her weaponry goes, her outfit isn't set in stone at this point, nor is her sidearm. I'm a bit curious as to what sort of carry option you were thinking she'd be using in terms of holster type/location. Yeah, she pretty much looks like an adult. Also, does skirt length factor into things at all?
If practicality's a must then I'd definately be sticking with two-piece outfits: top and bottom and avoiding things like dresses. As John pointed out: inside waistband carry is both practical and prevalent.

I'm out of town, so can't go looking for pics but, off the top of my head, outfit-wise I'd possibly be looking at (for the warmer months) maybe something with a set of fairly short shorts and an oversize cotton button up "boyfriend" shirt. Probbaly do it in white cotton on linen, worn untucked. That can be worn casually and would easily cover up a gun carried in the waistband: combine with slip-on flats or boat shoes and large sunglasses for a summery look. Bonus, when the weather started to cool she could easily throw the red jacket over the top of it, or even a blazer for a layered look or even tuck the shirt in (possibly swap shorts for a skirt or slacks) and go to a shoulder rig to carry her firearm.

Regards firearms: Johns probably the better person to talk to on technicalities. From a character standpoint though, I'd be asking what her normal role was... does it suit a larger weapon? Also how her personality and view stand on the issue. Would she accept a low-powered weapon? Or is she the type who would prefer to trade some concealability for more firepower? Is she going to want to be carrying spare magazines? Or does she feel she can get away without them? Of course, also: what's her handler's standpoint... if he's the solider type I'd expect him to want he with a bit more firepower...

...and, of course: how much artistic license you're willing to take Razz

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Wed 12 Dec 2012 - 4:00

Yeah. Kris really, really likes her S&W Model 39s. They're not huge guns, but they're not compact, combined with the fact she runs two, a shoulder holster is a necessity for her. It's not practical, but she puts up with dressing around it. That's specific to her character. Luce enjoys using 1911s, so she uses a CCO-type 1911. It fits her because she rarely wears dresses or skirts anyway, but she also carries a smaller model out of practicality.

Elise has a PP as her primary pistol because given her variety of wardrobe, it's the best choice. Amsel carries a full-size 1911 with a flashlight IWB. That's slightly insane by most standards, but that's his decision.

John_234

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 13 Dec 2012 - 1:41

It looks like you both replied to things that were directed at the other guy.

Alfisti, I'm glad you're thinking of ideas that work around why I plan to have Gina carry, but let's not restrict our options too much just yet. Gina's weaponry isn't set in stone and even if I do stick with the Bernardelli maybe someone will be able to suggest a creative way to make it work. Plus there may be some situations where she would be willing to settle for a smaller pistol.

As a note, Gina generally hates plastic guns. She prefers wood and metal and appreciates quality worksmanship. She's a good shot so she might be willing to settle for something with a little less firepower, though her handler might not be keen on her doing so. That being siaid, I favor the Bernardelli over a Beretta 84 because the Bernardelli seems like a more distinct and personal choice for her. (The 85 is fine as a backup/alternate weapon, but I'd prefer a more distinctive main pistol.)

There are Compact and "Police" (compact slide and barrel on full size frame) versions of the P.One, though they're still 193mm (about 7.6 inches) in length. The one thing the P.One's have going for them is that they are very slim for a weapon of their type (scroll through the pics on this auction site until you get to the one showing the magazine well).

I probably have tended to think of her as using a shoulder holster under her jacket, though if people think there are other options let me know. A handbag could work, but I'd prefer it be on the body, as with a large enough handbag she can carry a MP5K with a pair of clamped together 30 round magazines and that should trump just about any handgun. Smile

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 13 Dec 2012 - 2:39

@Piero wrote:Alfisti, I'm glad you're thinking of ideas that work around why I plan to have Gina carry, but let's not restrict our options too much just yet. Gina's weaponry isn't set in stone and even if I do stick with the Bernardelli maybe someone will be able to suggest a creative way to make it work. Plus there may be some situations where she would be willing to settle for a smaller pistol.
Ok, won't write off single piece stuff just yet... though to be fair, the outfit I was suggesting wasn't built around carry, but it seemed worth noting how it might be undertaken. Regards the practicality of carry in different outfits: again it also depends on how much artistic license you're willing to take. Monty, for example, tends to carry her PPK strapped to her thigh (garter carry?) under her dress if she's wearing one... and those can be quite tight. In real life that'd probably print, a fact I tend to quietly ignore.

Either way, I'll keep putting my mind to it. If Gina's not concerned about hitching up her skirt there's some decent dresses which might work.

@Piero wrote:I probably have tended to think of her as using a shoulder holster under her jacket, though if people think there are other options let me know.
The problem with shoulder holsters, and John can correct me if I'm wrong here, is that you need to keep your jacket sealed to do the best job of concealing them... which doesn't fit so well with a lot of women's fashion, particularly in the warmer/intermediate months (again though, artistic license). Taking Monty as an example again sweat, she only really uses a shoulder holster if she a) is in her suit or b) doing her sneaking around thing, mostly out of the public eye (read: where there'd be no resonable explanation for her presence for any reason other than espionage... say, a volcano base) and expecting to need to use her firearm and wants a spare mag or two.

On a concealed carry note: have you looked at the SIG P238? Seemes to get a good wrap and might be up her alley.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Thu 13 Dec 2012 - 8:09

The problem with the Benardelli is I'm having trouble finding information on it, so I'm left wondering if it's a bit too unique to make sense.

I actually found the Beretta 84 quite unique as a choice for Gene, because the 92F and PX4 are so prolific, most people don't even recognize guns like the Tomcat, Cougar or Cheetah (80.) The Bersa Thunder he has as a backup weapon is quite common for CCW, but its not much of a "cool guy gun" so its very unique for him. Then you also have the uncommon S&W Model 39s that Kris uses. While the guns aren't as common as Glocks, or 1911s (universally popular in RB, it seems) they're also not going to raise *too* many questions if they have to be ditched. Benardelli doesn't currently make any handguns except a pocket gun called the Mod.68. And while it seems semi-common in Europe it will be hard to find replacement guns, parts and holsters.

The shoulder holster is mentioned a lot, but its frankly suited to a very specific sort of person. Bodyguards and police detectives have them so frequently in movies because that's the reality. If you wear a suit 24/7, they're great. They also are easier to draw from while driving, which a cop does frequently. So generally speaking, hip is a better option. Adaptable to your outfit in most cases and a very fast draw - most people can rip up their concealing garment, draw and fire in about 1.5 seconds.

Even with a good holster though, reality dictates most people have a different gun concealed than cold winter, business dress or battle rattle. Amsel carries a Detonics or a revolver if he's in very lightweight clothing rather than that giant, clunky 1911. Luce's pistol has a shortened grip so it doesn't "print" when she has it concealed. Gina might carry a smaller pistol with lighter clothing and a heavier one with heavier clothing and so forth. Check out the holsters I described a few posts ago.

On the topic of holsters and purse carry, though...

I don't think an MP5K would fit into most purses xD

The problem with eliminating polymer firearms is they're literally about half to three quarters of the viable handguns for concealed carry. A polymer gun like a Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD, FN FNP, Sig P250, HK P30, Ruger SR9 allow a great magazine size in a small handgun. A Glock 19 has twice the ammo of a Commander-sized 1911, and is much easier to carry than an ostensibly compact Sig P229. You also skip over a lot of the concealed-carry specific guns like the Keltecs, Kahrs and the sub-compact guns.

That said, if you're going to go the metal-framed route, than revolvers might be a strong option, especially for backup weapons. A super-compact handgun like the P238 doesn't actually hold that much more ammo than a revolver (6+1) and is only marginally reliable (Rule of thumb with pistols? The smaller it is, the less reliable.) Not saying the P238 is bad, but the gap between autos and revolvers closes at the smaller models, which is why Taurus, Smith and Ruger wheelguns remain in use.

The P238 specifically seems to have pretty decent feedback, a good trigger and is very easy to conceal. However, it is a 1911-pattern, which is a bit of a unique method of carry - the gun is cocked, round in the chamber and safety on (Locked and cocked, or condition 1.) Not hammer down safety off like the Benardelli and the Beretta 85 can be used. I mention this because most people carry guns that are similar in use, if not outright exactly the same (Amsel's Detonics uses mags from his Les Baer pistol, even.) So if your backup gun requires the safety flipped off when you draw and the hammer cocked when you carry it, the primary guns should probably be similar. Of course, this is just technically speaking - not everyone has their guns set up for 100% efficiency. You can carry a completely different backup gun than your primary gun, but you need to train extra.

Also, when you say backup gun, do you mean its literally carried at the same time? That's not a bad option:

If the gun jams or runs dry, you just pull out another one. In that case, sharing mags would be a pretty big priority, so if you have to ditch one gun you still have ammo. A lot of stuff to carry around, though.

John_234

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 13 Dec 2012 - 16:45

@John_234 wrote:On the topic of holsters and purse carry, though...

Patently then you don't remember the "IT" bag of the early to mid-noughties, popular with starletts and Paris Hilton (who, like her or not, was still a trend-setter at the time). Some of those things were almost as large as the girl carrying them and I'm fairly certain could have fitted an arsenal, Matrix style inside. The trend collapsed after the financial crisis, but the "big bag" still remains prevalent.

I guess more "handbag" than "purse" carry though.

We bought my mother one of the smaller, toned down post-GFC versions and I'm quite certain you could comfortably fit a couple of AK47s in there, let alone an MP5K Razz

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Thu 13 Dec 2012 - 17:55

@Alfisti wrote:
@John_234 wrote:On the topic of holsters and purse carry, though...

Patently then you don't remember the "IT" bag of the early to mid-noughties, popular with starletts and Paris Hilton (who, like her or not, was still a trend-setter at the time). Some of those things were almost as large as the girl carrying them and I'm fairly certain could have fitted an arsenal, Matrix style inside. The trend collapsed after the financial crisis, but the "big bag" still remains prevalent.

I guess more "handbag" than "purse" carry though.

We bought my mother one of the smaller, toned down post-GFC versions and I'm quite certain you could comfortably fit a couple of AK47s in there, let alone an MP5K Razz
Hah. Yeah, you could probably fit a machine pistol into a lot of bags. My main point though is that the MP5K is pretty massive though. By now we have more compact options.

John_234

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 13 Dec 2012 - 22:43

I'm worried were focusing a little too much on Gina's guns at the moment. That being said I'll try to respond to the current points.

P.One variants showed up at an Italian arms show in 2004, and Bernardelli's own website listed the type until late 2008 (though I think it was horribly out of date).

http://web.archive.org/web/20080920043942/http://www.bernardelli.com/main_pistols.htm

As for the MP5k, note that I said a large handbag. Plus Gina uses a MP5A3, so the compact model seemed like a natural choice for when she has cause to go for something smaller. (Ideally I'd like to find something other than a viola case for her to transport that A3 in.)

If Gina carries a backup pistol, it's likely to be one of her smaller pistols like the Beretta 85 or PPK-L. No ammunition compatability with the Bernardelli but they're kind of compromise weapons to begin with. Gina actually considers that PPK-L much less trustworthy than her other pistols, but its tiny size and light weight allow it to be carried in ways that aren't practical with even something like the Beretta 85.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 0:50

Yeah. When you work with guns and clothing though, there's a lot of back-and-forth balancing.

Essentially, figure out what holsters and clothing you're going to use, then the guns have a narrower selection to choose from. If you're deadset on the shoulder holster, Benardelli, Walther and Beretta 85 (the latter two almost the same size) there's not really a lot of suggestions I can make (if you want them!)

John_234

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by komplikation on Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 0:56

At this point, it may make more sense to think up of various outfits or at least articles of clothing that would work to conceal Gina's guns while still looking fashionable, regardless of the weather or season.
komplikation

Male

Forum Posts : 7

Registration date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 2:10

I think its a significant issue, it's just that it feels like its kind of taken over the thread, which I'd originally made to get clothing suggestions. And while I'm leaning towards clothing choices that can work with a shoulder rig, to begin with I'd sort of like to just get some ideas, perhaps even some that won't necessarily work with her current weapons choices.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 2:27

Okay, well I'm not a clothing guy but gimme a poke about guns when you get to that stage. Didn't mean to take over the thread~

John_234

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 6:34

Alright, I'm back home and so actually have enough interbotz to go looking around for pictures to help illustrate my point.

Warning: this will be quite an image intensive post... and don't get too hung up on the colours in the pictures (though I do quite like the bright blazers).

@Piero wrote: And while I'm leaning towards clothing choices that can work with a shoulder rig, to begin with I'd sort of like to just get some ideas, perhaps even some that won't necessarily work with her current weapons choices.
If you're set on using a shoulder rig for the bulk of the time, then I'd for starters be looking at some other jackets to compliment Gina's red leather job... then using artistic license to let her leave them unsealed.

Personally I'd be looking at clothing items which could be mixed and matched, rather than complete outfits. A good wardrobe should be able to do that. Sure there may be some particularly good or favorite combos, and not everything needs to go with everything, but there needs to be room for flexibility.

Spoiler:
On that note, I would reccomend at least one good blazer, single brested, one or two buttoned which can be dressed up or down depending on what its thrown over. Probably go for a lighter, more flexible fabric rather than a tweed... which will allow the sleeves to be rolled up if she likes. A bit of structure wouldn't hurt either, but I'd steer clear of anything particularly formal:

Even half length sleeves might work:

I did mention a boyfriend shirt earlier as well... which basically means something oversized. Again it can be worn loose and casual, tucked in and bloused or even belted high as a causl dress. Short denim shorts go well with the casual look. Generally looks best in a solid colour, maybe with very light texturing:

Monty patched together a similar look out of stolen clothing in Panama once... and of course you can throw the blazer of the top:

The neat sleeveless top is always a good one for summer as well:

Skirts, I've got to admit I'm not a fan of that sort of sharp, school uniform pleating, but other possible suggestions and could easily take the place of shorts:

Desses, if you want to go single piece, I'd try something with a bit of form about it (looking more at outlines and cuts here). Again, most would probably want pairing up with jacket of some description.:

Or even something a bit lighter and sheer:

I think I'll call it quits for today there... might try throwing all this in behind a spoiler tag actually, just for everyone's sanity (it may need some time to load). My current thinking though would be to go for more neutral tones on the lower layers (shirts, skirts, dresses) and keep tbe bulk colour in jackets and accessories.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 19:12

Wow, a wealth of visual information! head bang
I think these pics can benefit many characters. Hmm...
I hope you won't mind if I peek through your virtual dressing room. AWESOME
Gina: *ahem* Ladies only!
Treme: Whoops, I was only lookin' for reference an, an..... right sorry. Embarassed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1975

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 16 Dec 2012 - 14:06

Thanks for the suggestions Alfisti!

You know, I was thinking the leather jacket itself might be blazer style in terms of cut. So she might not need to leave it unbuttoned all the time.

Although I don't think you were necessarily suggesting it, I actually like the dress the girl modelling the white blazer is wearing. I'm thinking something along those lines in black might look snazzy on Gina (though I wonder if it would work better with a lower waist). I hadn't really been thinking of a lot of outfits like that for her but that kind of caught my fancy.

Oversized shirts might work for some outfits, but I imagine not all her shirts would be such.

I don't think Gina tends to go for denim.

A sleeveless top could work.

Some of the skirts you've suggested look interesting. I guess I was thinking of really basic skirt designs in black, and with those I did feel the pleating gave them something they lacked. Plus I think I thought the pleats might help her hide a small pistol in a thigh holster.

Agree on keeping the color more to the jackets and accessories. (Plus she's got her hair and eyes to help add a bit of color.) I imagine she could go for khaki colored pants, but then again calling khaki a color may be pushing things a bit. :p

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 16 Dec 2012 - 18:30

@Piero wrote:You know, I was thinking the leather jacket itself might be blazer style in terms of cut. So she might not need to leave it unbuttoned all the time.
Ah ok, I was picturing something more like a short driving jacket. Buttoned or unbuttoned, it could do either.... but buttoned to me is always a bit more "business", particularly for womens' clothing. Mens blazers work alright casual with a button fastened, womens' styles can be a bit more iffy, particularly if it's a structured garment. That said, fastened is a bit less fashion forward, which may suit her style better. Leather, especially put into a blazer cut tends to be more structured, and lacks the flexibility of a softer fabric garmet... up to you though.

@Piero wrote:Although I don't think you were necessarily suggesting it, I actually like the dress the girl modelling the white blazer is wearing. I'm thinking something along those lines in black might look snazzy on Gina (though I wonder if it would work better with a lower waist). I hadn't really been thinking of a lot of outfits like that for her but that kind of caught my fancy.
I don't think I was particularly looking there... will take another squiz later, can't get the images open right now on this computer.

@Piero wrote:Oversized shirts might work for some outfits, but I imagine not all her shirts would be such.
Oh, certainly not for everything... it was a one possible suggestion, not something to be worn all the time. It does make a good casual summery look, and could work with the khaki mentioned below or leggings or any number of things.

@Piero wrote:I don't think Gina tends to go for denim.

A sleeveless top could work.

Some of the skirts you've suggested look interesting. I guess I was thinking of really basic skirt designs in black, and with those I did feel the pleating gave them something they lacked. Plus I think I thought the pleats might help her hide a small pistol in a thigh holster.

Agree on keeping the color more to the jackets and accessories. (Plus she's got her hair and eyes to help add a bit of color.) I imagine she could go for khaki colored pants, but then again calling khaki a color may be pushing things a bit. :p
Hear you on denim... J+M (and myself personally) don't really do it either and I'll have a hunt around for skirts more down the lines of what you're suggesting (next weekend... out of town again now).

As to Khaki, no issues there. It makes a good warm neutral base, though with Gina's colouration (as you've described it), it may need something to help "cool" the look down a little (say, a light blue blazer).

I'm starting to wonder if Gina isn't one of those characters who might be better off with a "uniform", a fairly set style or theme which she then dresses in variations of... with a few exceptions for special occasions.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 12 Jan 2013 - 2:57

Man, I really neglected this topic over the holidays didn't I?

@Alfisti wrote:As to Khaki, no issues there. It makes a good warm neutral base, though with Gina's colouration (as you've described it), it may need something to help "cool" the look down a little (say, a light blue blazer).

What part of her coloration makes you think she'd need to cool her look down a bit?

I'm starting to wonder if Gina isn't one of those characters who might be better off with a "uniform", a fairly set style or theme which she then dresses in variations of... with a few exceptions for special occasions.

My characters in general are probably like this to some degree, even if realistically they ought to have more variation. I guess I don't vary their looks that much when imagining different scenes. Plus I've got a whole ton of different characters to worry about outfits for.

Last edited by Piero on Sat 12 Jan 2013 - 13:15; edited 2 times in total

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 12 Jan 2013 - 3:14

@Piero wrote:My characters in general are probably like this to some degree, even if realistically they ought to have more variation. I guess I don't vary their looks that much when imagining different scenes.
Hmm, not as much as you might think... plenty of people have a "uniform" look The Queen comes to mind, as well as plenty of people in the fashion and design industries. Some people just find a look that works for them and stick with it; there's nothing wrong with that.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 12 Jan 2013 - 13:19

Come to think of it, I'm kind of like that. I wear khakis pretty much any time its not too hot out and I'm not at work. I guess its just not something I tend to associate with teenage girls quite as much though.

Also I messed up with the quote tags in my last post. There were two questions, but I think one of them was obscured by the messed up tagging. It should be more visible now. Sorry about that.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 12 Jan 2013 - 18:39

@Piero wrote:
@Alfisti wrote:As to Khaki, no issues there. It makes a good warm neutral base, though with Gina's colouration (as you've described it), it may need something to help "cool" the look down a little (say, a light blue blazer).

What part of her coloration makes you think she'd need to cool her look down a bit?
Hard to describe, and a lot of it is probably just personal taste, but I find if you start putting too many warm colours on a person without something to break them up then it can start to look... I want to say "washed out" but that's not quite the word... "flat" perhaps or "run together"? It's something I run into with my own characters who tend to have brown or blonde hair etc. From an illustrator's perspective I just find that warmer pallets, particularly using a lot of warm neutrals often work best with a cooler colour (say blue) thrown in to contrast against and help lift them.

Then again, I don't know if that's the sort of thing which would worry Gina. *shrugs*

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 13 Jan 2013 - 20:14

The red jacket ought to help with that don't you think? (Although in kind of the opposite way from "cooling down." :p )

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 7:09

A little... but that's still a warm colour.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 3:33

So any more thoughts on the uniform look thing? Should I just go with whatever works well with her jacket?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 6:58

@Piero wrote:So any more thoughts on the uniform look thing? Should I just go with whatever works well with her jacket?
Honestly I'd hold what she wears to shirts and skirts along the black and white you originally described then change up the styles: so maybe this day a fitted business shirt, the next a boyfriend shirt... tight skirt, long skirt, high waistline, business waisteline... maybe throw in some slackes or harem pants to mix it up a little.... but stick to the colours your originally described. You can play with footware obviously as well. I'd keep the jacket consistent though.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down