Concealed Carry Weapons

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Concealed Carry Weapons

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 6 May 2013 - 21:33

Reading the new Thomas Perry novel and the protagonist has a Ruger LC9, which looks to be a pretty nice weapon for concealed carry purposes. It's more compact than the Walther PPK family and significantly thinner than the HK P2000SK Michele and Kara carry (in TOS form).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10875

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Concealed Carry Weapons

Post by Thescarredman on Mon 6 May 2013 - 22:01

At $400 base price, not too expensive, either.
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1742

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Mon 6 May 2013 - 22:25

The LC9 is a damned nice pistol - one of my buddys here carries one as his BUG.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1470

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Tue 7 May 2013 - 1:30

you could always print a new gun these days !

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 7 May 2013 - 4:26

@Kiskaloo wrote:Reading the new Thomas Perry novel and the protagonist has a Ruger LC9, which looks to be a pretty nice weapon for concealed carry purposes. It's more compact than the Walther PPK family and significantly thinner than the HK P2000SK Michele and Kara carry (in TOS form).
Lets be honest here though: for what it is, in a modern context the PPK is not a small handgun... technology, particularly the materials technology to allow smaller, stronger components, has moved on. Hell, when the PPK was designed the world was still figuring its way around this idea of building an aeroplane without getting high at the same time Razz

I don't think it was out when I was looking to arm Monty, but it would have been torpedoed on character grounds... sounds like it could be an interesting proposition though for someone's fan characters.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5700

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 9 May 2013 - 4:24

@Officer_Charon wrote:The LC9 is a damned nice pistol - one of my buddys here carries one as his BUG.
Which now makes me wonder what the SRT choose to carry as backup pieces (if at all).

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingdking on Mon 13 May 2013 - 16:03

would take a close look at the Glock 29.

This 10mm was designed for concealed carry, and will definately stop whatever you hit. I hunt with a Glock 20C with a 6 1/4" barrel and don't have a problem taking on anything I go after, I don't do Brown Bear. With the right ammo it will stop anything, and doesn't bounce off.
Wingdking

Male

Forum Posts : 47

Fan of : Gsg

Original Characters : frank

Comments : N/a

Registration date : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 14 May 2013 - 6:17

I guess at the end of the day it comes back down to the firepower vs. concealability argument and which direction a fratello's/character's role/personalities might be skewed.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 14 May 2013 - 9:32

@Alfisti wrote:I guess at the end of the day it comes back down to the firepower vs. concealability argument and which direction a fratello's/character's role/personalities might be skewed.

Why compromise? The Uzi Pro is small enough to conceal under a jacket and can put out 1050 rounds a minute. Smile

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Wed 15 May 2013 - 4:52

@Kiskaloo wrote:
@Alfisti wrote:I guess at the end of the day it comes back down to the firepower vs. concealability argument and which direction a fratello's/character's role/personalities might be skewed.
Why compromise? The Uzi Pro is small enough to conceal under a jacket and can put out 1050 rounds a minute. Smile
Good luck getting that in a garter holster under a slinky dress...

From a handler perspective though (and assuming said handler hasn't called his cyborg "Rocky"): bomber jackets would be fine, as would probably something in an American cut. More Italian styled cuts on a larger frame might conceal it alright too... but those of us whom prefer a British cut might be struggling.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 23 Jul 2013 - 1:38

@Alfisti wrote:
@Kiskaloo wrote:Reading the new Thomas Perry novel and the protagonist has a Ruger LC9, which looks to be a pretty nice weapon for concealed carry purposes. It's more compact than the Walther PPK family and significantly thinner than the HK P2000SK Michele and Kara carry (in TOS form).
Lets be honest here though: for what it is, in a modern context the PPK is not a small handgun... technology, particularly the materials technology to allow smaller, stronger components, has moved on. Hell, when the PPK was designed the world was still figuring its way around this idea of building an aeroplane without getting high at the same time  Razz

I don't think it was out when I was looking to arm Monty, but it would have been torpedoed on character grounds... sounds like it could be an interesting proposition though for someone's fan characters.

The PPK is still a pretty small handgun, particularly in terms of height and thickness.  There are smaller ones now, but there were smaller ones back then too (like the Baby Browning and its predecessors).  It is rather heavy compared to some of the modern polymer framed competition however, and some of those small polymer framed pistols fire more potent calibers.

Micro sized 9x19mm pistols have been a hot thing lately -its not just Ruger that's making them, a variety of small and large manufacturers have been.  In the context of Gunslinger Girl, I think the Beretta Nano is one to consider.  One of its interesting features is that it has a metal sub frame with a plastic outer frame that can be removed and swapped for something else.  So in theory it can easily accommodate different shooters with different grips, though right now the swappable plastic frames seem to be mainly a stylistic thing (would you like your weapon black, dark earth, OD green, or pink?).

Though its worth noting that these very small 9x19mm pistols often aren't as reliable as larger handguns in the same caliber (though to be fair the PPK isn't the most reliable gun around either, use by 007 notwithstanding).  Some of the Nanos have apparently been very reliable, but there were a significant number that had problems.  Even Sig's entry in the micro-9 market (the P290) had issues.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 23 Jul 2013 - 7:07

@Piero wrote:
The PPK is still a pretty small handgun, particularly in terms of height and thickness.  There are smaller ones now, but there were smaller ones back then too (like the Baby Browning and its predecessors).  It is rather heavy compared to some of the modern polymer framed competition however, and some of those small polymer framed pistols fire more potent calibers.

Micro sized 9x19mm pistols have been a hot thing lately -its not just Ruger that's making them, a variety of small and large manufacturers have been.  In the context of Gunslinger Girl, I think the Beretta Nano is one to consider.  One of its interesting features is that it has a metal sub frame with a plastic outer frame that can be removed and swapped for something else.  So in theory it can easily accommodate different shooters with different grips, though right now the swappable plastic frames seem to be mainly a stylistic thing (would you like your weapon black, dark earth, OD green, or pink?).

Though its worth noting that these very small 9x19mm pistols often aren't as reliable as larger handguns in the same caliber (though to be fair the PPK isn't the most reliable gun around either, use by 007 notwithstanding).  Some of the Nanos have apparently been very reliable, but there were a significant number that had problems.  Even Sig's entry in the micro-9 market (the P290) had issues.

Yeah, the PPK is still resonably small. What I was getting at was, as you also noted: these days there are smaller firearms able to fire more potent calibers. That doesn't make the PPK a bad weapon, but the world has moved on and there are (presumably) better options available (personal preferences not withstanding). As to the reliability: I was always under the impression that the PPK was more reliable chambered in 7,65mm than in 9mm kurtz. Not ultra reliable, but more reliable... though I could be wrong.

Funny you should mention the Nano though, I was acutally considering it for another fratello I have been slowly working up in the background, with a view to possibly introducing them later in the story.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 23 Jul 2013 - 11:41

Didn't know about the Nano. That is the one I would have given Monty (in her Michele + Monty fratello form).

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Wed 31 Jul 2013 - 23:38

You can conceal carry a full sized 1911A2. With the right holster, you can put it in you pants on the belt and the shirt over it. Unless you're frisked, no one will know it is there.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5667

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 on Thu 1 Aug 2013 - 21:18

The largest problem with micro guns is the springs. While most men won't have issues with racking the slide on such a gun, women, who tend to favor the smaller frames, do often have trouble with them. A no-snag design also provides less purchase for racking. This is of course no issue in GSG plot devel.

Glocks are not the shit. Glocks can fail the same as any other gun. I've seen it personally, and have even heard first-hand accounts of something as basic as a slide-retaining pin snapping, the slide flying off. Get over the obsession and buy what fits your hand, your wallet, and ability.
maverick375

Male

Forum Posts : 823

Fan of : manga

Original Characters : Jamie

Comments : GUNS!!!! MUWAHAHA

Oh, and swords. Swords are kewl too.

Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 1 Aug 2013 - 21:43

@maverick375 wrote:The largest problem with micro guns is the springs. While most men won't have issues with racking the slide on such a gun, women, who tend to favor the smaller frames, do often have trouble with them. A no-snag design also provides less purchase for racking. This is of course no issue in GSG plot devel.
The Colt Agent and other Micro 1911 (1911s with a 4in barrel/frame or smaller {I've seen a 3in barrel/frame and heard of a 2.5in barrel/frame}) is its spring and spring cap (its in front of the gun, under the barrel, which holds back the slide return spring). The problem is the cap coming off and the spring shooting out as the slide moves back along the frame putting pressure on the spring. 5in and larger barrels/frames do not have this problem as the spring pressure not as great as in the smaller barrel/frames.

This is only for the 1911 .45ACP guns. .38Super and 9mm 1911s do not have this problem as some of these variants are scaled down to the bullet's size, making a smaller gun.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5667

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by BleepinFireman on Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 17:50

How about the FP-45 Liberator pistol? It was used from 1942-45 and it had a 100mm barrel and a weight of 450g. Even though its single shot, I think its a effective last ditch pistole

War is peace. Freedom is ignorance. Slavery is strength

-George Orwell
BleepinFireman

Male

Forum Posts : 60

Fan of : Eastern-Bloc

Original Characters : Jun Yamashita/ Ursula Nelson

Comments : "Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form."
-Karl Marx

Registration date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 17:54

@BleepinFireman wrote:How about the FP-45 Liberator pistol? It was used from 1942-45 and it had a 100mm barrel and a weight of 450g. Even though its single shot, I think its a effective last ditch pistole

Effective? It was a poor quality weapon.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by BleepinFireman on Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 18:00

Eeeenh, I carry it with my CZ-75 when I go to the range and it fits in my shoe. I think it was a good concept, just not quality made

War is peace. Freedom is ignorance. Slavery is strength

-George Orwell
BleepinFireman

Male

Forum Posts : 60

Fan of : Eastern-Bloc

Original Characters : Jun Yamashita/ Ursula Nelson

Comments : "Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form."
-Karl Marx

Registration date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Sun 1 Sep 2013 - 19:13

The LC9 is reflective of Ruger in general -catching up very fast on the handgun market and filling niches people want filled. H&K doesn't really cater to the self-defensive crowd, the P2000SK and such being made mostly as compact detective handguns derivative from a larger, service-sized handgun.

I'm a fan of the LC380, which uses the same design in the smaller .380 ACP cartridge for less recoil and easier shooting. It's larger than a Keltec P3-AT or a Ruger LCP. The LCP in particular is fairly reliable, but not much fun to shoot. The smaller you go with a gun, the more compacted your slide and frame gets, along with the springs and the tolerances of lockup and timing.

Plenty of men have problems with these smaller guns just jamming so often because they're finicky. The LC380 and LC9 are big enough not to suffer from that, IMO. In that sense, the LC9 and LC380 are guns I like because they are not micro guns. They are big enough to be fairly reliable, have controls like slide stops and safeties and carry a decent number of rounds. (A slide stop makes clearing a double feed a lot easier, for example.) They have decently sized grips, good triggers and are easy to shoot.

Then again, I've really liked Glocks with chopped grips recently for plain utility:
Spoiler:

@Alfisti wrote:
Lets be honest here though: for what it is, in a modern context the PPK is not a small handgun... technology, particularly the materials technology to allow smaller, stronger components, has moved on. Hell, when the PPK was designed the world was still figuring its way around this idea of building an aeroplane without getting high at the same time  Razz

Hey, no need to be so critical of your weapon choice! The PPk is a small handgun even today. Ex:
Spoiler:

It's a trend-setting handgun that is applicable today if cared for. It's only a too-big handgun if we're talking the .32 ACP version, which isn't any smaller. But a .380 with 6-7 rounds, good sights and a comfortable grip is an excellent self-defense gun in that size, I think. They are heavier than polymer-framed choices, but if anything that cuts recoil. The only real problem with the PP family is they're not always reliable, notably the S&W branded ones we get in the US sometimes.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” -Albert Einstein
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of : N/A

Original Characters : N/A

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Mon 2 Sep 2013 - 4:12

@John_234 wrote:
@Alfisti wrote:

Hey, no need to be so critical of your weapon choice! The PPk is a small handgun even today. Ex:
Spoiler:

It's a trend-setting handgun that is applicable today if cared for. It's only a too-big handgun if we're talking the .32 ACP version, which isn't any smaller. But a .380 with 6-7 rounds, good sights and a comfortable grip is an excellent self-defense gun in that size, I think. They are heavier than polymer-framed choices, but if anything that cuts recoil. The only real problem with the PP family is they're not always reliable, notably the S&W branded ones we get in the US sometimes.
Heh, not being critical at all (well, I am but... you know... not enough to make me change my mind on the use of the gun). Writing, I actually prefer gear with a few weaknesses: gives it personality! Razz  And there's nothing wrong with being honest about flaws.

Well, both Jethro and Monty use pistols chambered in the .32 ACP/7.65mm. Mostly that was a character-based decision, though I am also of the understanding that the 7.65mm PPk is/was at least slightly more reliable than its .380 counterpart.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Mon 2 Sep 2013 - 18:10

@Alfisti wrote:
@John_234 wrote:
@Alfisti wrote:

Spoiler:

Heh, not being critical at all (well, I am but... you know... not enough to make me change my mind on the use of the gun). Writing, I actually prefer gear with a few weaknesses: gives it personality! Razz  And there's nothing wrong with being honest about flaws.

Well, both Jethro and Monty use pistols chambered in the .32 ACP/7.65mm. Mostly that was a character-based decision, though I am also of the understanding that the 7.65mm PPk is/was at least slightly more reliable than its .380 counterpart.
Probably. Same gun, smaller cartridge. Less prone to limp-wristing and all.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” -Albert Einstein
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of : N/A

Original Characters : N/A

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Mon 9 Feb 2015 - 2:05

Perhaps a VP9?

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 901

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : Call me PolosElite23...If that's too long for you try one of the following:
Pez PE23
PE Polo
Polos

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 10 Feb 2015 - 7:01

VP9... in response to something on this thread? Or just in general?

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Tue 10 Feb 2015 - 13:21

@Alfisti wrote:VP9... in response to something on this thread? Or just in general?

In General...and I wanted my 700th Post :3

Plus I think the VP9 looks pretty good. Stuff I've read makes it look like a good choice.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 901

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : Call me PolosElite23...If that's too long for you try one of the following:
Pez PE23
PE Polo
Polos

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Thu 19 Feb 2015 - 15:05

Walther P99 compact

3.5-inch barrel length, 6.6-inch length, 4.3-inch height, 1.3-inch width, 10-round magazines (whether LE or not), and a weight of only 18.7 ounces. It would probably be my choice, but I don't shoot, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Comparison between a P99 and a P99c^

"life is a joke... the punchline is complicated."
TeaTimeNinja

Male

Forum Posts : 470

Fan of : Rico

Original Characters : Elly/Pete

Comments : Advised by Alfisti to check out the forum... so here I am!

Registration date : 2014-07-30
Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Thu 19 Feb 2015 - 17:21

Best file off the shark-fin front sight, if you don't want to get killed while you're trying to  tug it out of your waistband.
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1742

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Thu 19 Feb 2015 - 18:59

I hardly see the point of sights on really small guns. Like Jose said, you wont have time to use sights in real life!

"life is a joke... the punchline is complicated."
TeaTimeNinja

Male

Forum Posts : 470

Fan of : Rico

Original Characters : Elly/Pete

Comments : Advised by Alfisti to check out the forum... so here I am!

Registration date : 2014-07-30
Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 20 Feb 2015 - 2:23

I suspect it's a bit of a case of "better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it"... kept on balance with constraints of concealability of course.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down