Distress Signal

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 22 May 2013 - 0:18

I haven't seen anything like this on the forum, so I made one. Most of the writers are also regular log-on-people, so it's fairly probable that this will be seen by someone who knows what they're doing, and therefore.

Speaking of distress signals, anyone able to vett this plan?:
Spoiler:
"The Eighth Cavalry Regiment of the Granatieri di Sardegna will advance upon Parliament from the south, firing concussive rounds to disperse any protestors as necessary. SWA Section Two will advance behind with GIS Section Three’s Alfa, Bravo, and Charlie Teams. Charlie Team will establish a base of fire while the Granatieri di Sardegna provide security screen. Generation One Fratelli and Alfa Team will advance down the center as the primary assault force, while Bravo Team will locate and destroy any outstanding enemy presence on the premises. The James-Caterina Fratello will coordinate communications between GIS and SWA units as well as provide technological support."


Last edited by El Conservatore on Fri 5 Jul 2013 - 16:58; edited 1 time in total

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Alfisti on Wed 22 May 2013 - 7:26

I assume that's spoilered for a reason so...

Spoiler:
The Eighth Cavalry Regiment of the Granatieri di Sardegna will advance
upon Parliament from the south, firing concussive rounds to disperse any
protestors as necessary. SWA Section Two will advance behind with GIS
Section
I guess my immediate thought is how are the cyborgs being concealed from the public? Will they be in a vehicle for this advance?

I know the Eighth regiment are dispersing protesters, but it might be worth having or mentioning someone sweeping as well to pick up any stragglers or conceal the cyborgs by some other means: otherwise questions may start being asked about the little girls advancing with the GIS.

Otherwise: definitely not my area of expertise, but I can't see anything wrong with it... though you're not giving us much in the way of context here either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
avatar
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5765

Location : A Town by the Sea, NSW Central Coast, Australia

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Vett on Wed 22 May 2013 - 12:24

Spoiler:
Seconding Alfisti's comment on the girls being noticed. A protest that's rowdy enough to call in the military is rowdy enough to attract journalists and cameramen. These days, every protester has a camera phone too. You might get away with having the older girls pretend to be protestors, though; you could bring them through the security screen for 'medical treatment' maybe. It might well make the protest worse, of course.

From a writing standpoint, you don't necessarily need to keep repeating team after you've given the names for the first time. I might also reverse the order of "Generation One Fratello and Alfa team", just for the overall rythem of the three sentences (also, I'd always been taught that was Alpha, as in Alpha and Omega, rather than Alfa, or is it a US vs UK thing?).



I'm not the only person who has to look twice at Alfisti's avatar before I stop seeing a dismembered Monty, right?

Vett

Male

Forum Posts : 195

Location : UK

Fan of : Triella, Henrietta

Original Characters : Rebecca/Edward

Comments :

Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 22 May 2013 - 12:32

@Alfisti wrote:I assume that's spoilered for a reason so...

Spoiler:
The Eighth Cavalry Regiment of the Granatieri di Sardegna will advance
upon Parliament from the south, firing concussive rounds to disperse any
protestors as necessary. SWA Section Two will advance behind with GIS
Section
I guess my immediate thought is how are the cyborgs being concealed from the public? Will they be in a vehicle for this advance?

I know the Eighth regiment are dispersing protesters, but it might be worth having or mentioning someone sweeping as well to pick up any stragglers or conceal the cyborgs by some other means: otherwise questions may start being asked about the little girls advancing with the GIS.

Otherwise: definitely not my area of expertise, but I can't see anything wrong with it... though you're not giving us much in the way of context here either.

Sorry, spoilered because I didn't want to clutter an intro post.

The idea was that the SWA would be entering the hot zone in 6x6 Puma AFVs. If the Eighth Cav performs sweeps as it advances, would that work for stragglers? Or would it be better to have a mechanized infantry division for this role?



Context: a riot's gone done in Rome and was supposed to be the cover for a terrorist attack on the Italian Parliament a la bullet-based extermination of some political faction.. The idea was that the noise and confusion from a large mass of rioting protestors clashing with the Carabinieri would sufficiently divide resources that it would be difficult to impossible to respond effectively to the attack before the terrorists were successful. Of course, this is a fairly flawed plan, and I don't think we'd expect much more out of terrorists at this time in the story, especially since Parliament Security is more than likely to be good at pulling off a defensive action.

Currently, the rioters have been contained to the general "government district" and the terrorists are at a impasse with Parliament Security, which has done the smart thing and withdrawn to cover the Parliament Chambers. Communications are down. The mission is to make contact with Parliament Security and move the representatives out of the building, supported by an armed guard. After Alfa Team and the Gen. 1s clear the majority of resistance, the Gen 1.s will work with Bravo Team to clear the building while Alfa escorts the representatives out and to Charlie Team to be evacuated.

@Vett wrote:
Spoiler:
Seconding Alfisti's comment on the girls being
noticed. A protest that's rowdy enough to call in the military is rowdy
enough to attract journalists and cameramen. These days, every protester
has a camera phone too. You might get away with having the older girls
pretend to be protestors, though; you could bring them through the
security screen for 'medical treatment' maybe. It might well make the
protest worse, of course.

From a writing standpoint, you don't
necessarily need to keep repeating team after you've given the names for
the first time. I might also reverse the order of "Generation One
Fratello and Alfa team", just for the overall rythem of the three
sentences (also, I'd always been taught that was Alpha, as in Alpha and
Omega, rather than Alfa, or is it a US vs UK thing?).



I'm not the only person who has to look twice at Alfisti's avatar before I stop seeing a dismembered Monty, right?

I have to look twice to SEE Monty, so I have the opposite problem. Good point on the reuse of "team". I forgot about cameraphones, but I was going to assume that the military cordon would keep out journalists? Would they still be a problem if the girls were in Puma 6x6s?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Kiskaloo on Wed 22 May 2013 - 13:22

One thing to note is that the Italian Parliament is not housed in a single building.

The Chamber of Deputies are seated in the Palazzo Montecitorio, which is next to the Palazzo Chigi, which is the residence and office of the Prime Minister.

The Senate of the Italian Republic are seated in the Palazzo Madama, which is to the southwest of the other two Palazzi by a few hundred meters and a fair number of buildings and streets.

The Palazzo Montecitorio and Palazzo Chigi both have plazas in front of them, though both plazas are separated by a large building. The closest plaza to the Palazzo Madama is the Piazza Navona just to the west (though separated by a line of buildings).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
avatar
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10901

Location : Seattle / Tokyo / Milan

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 22 May 2013 - 13:26

@Kiskaloo wrote:One thing to note is that the Italian Parliament is not housed in a single building.

The Chamber of Deputies are seated in the Palazzo Montecitorio, which is next to the Palazzo Chigi, which is the residence and office of the Prime Minister.

The Senate of the Italian Republic are seated in the Palazzo Madama, which is to the southwest of the other two Palazzi by a few hundred meters and a fair number of buildings and streets.

The Palazzo Montecitorio and Palazzo Chigi both have plazas in front of them, though both plazas are separated by a large building. The closest plaza to the Palazzo Madama is the Piazza Navona just to the west (though separated by a line of buildings).

....scheisse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Vett on Wed 22 May 2013 - 14:38

The cordon would keep press _back_, but it still leaves the potential for a long-range glimpse - depending on where they've put up the cordon. I've not looked on googlemaps, but I imagine you've also got buildings overlooking the area. A quick google of Puma 6x6 comes back with an open cabin, so if we're talking about the same vehicle, I'd say it's still a problem. But any sort of enclosed, vaguely governmental looking vehicle will do; even a plain panel van would be sufficient: everyone'll assume it's special forces inside rather than cyborgs.

Regarding Kisk's unfortunate revelation, if they've got the manpower, two attacks would again reduce the concentration of government forces. If they haven't, would the evacuation of the other be a valid response to the threat? If so, a simple ambush would achieve their objective (assuming it's an assassination).

Stepping back slightly, bear in mind that any half-credible attempt at an attack on a key building is a win for the terrorists. The goal behind a terrorist campaign is to create pressure on the government to acquiesce to the terrorist's demands, the pressure coming from the public demanding the government stop the terrorists (or illustrate to their supporters that they're more powerful than the government and can act to protect/provide for them). The mere fact that they can attempt such a thing is a huge propaganda coup that will cause almost as much panic as if they'd pulled it off. The goal of any terrorist attack isn't physical, but psychological.
There was a point to the above paragraph, but I'm not sure what it was now.


Last edited by Vett on Wed 22 May 2013 - 14:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I've typed in black for the third time in three days.)

Vett

Male

Forum Posts : 195

Location : UK

Fan of : Triella, Henrietta

Original Characters : Rebecca/Edward

Comments :

Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 22 May 2013 - 19:45

@Vett wrote:The cordon would keep press _back_, but it still leaves the potential for a long-range glimpse - depending on where they've put up the cordon. I've not looked on googlemaps, but I imagine you've also got buildings overlooking the area. A quick google of Puma 6x6 comes back with an open cabin, so if we're talking about the same vehicle, I'd say it's still a problem. But any sort of enclosed, vaguely governmental looking vehicle will do; even a plain panel van would be sufficient: everyone'll assume it's special forces inside rather than cyborgs.

Regarding Kisk's unfortunate revelation, if they've got the manpower, two attacks would again reduce the concentration of government forces. If they haven't, would the evacuation of the other be a valid response to the threat? If so, a simple ambush would achieve their objective (assuming it's an assassination).

Stepping back slightly, bear in mind that any half-credible attempt at an attack on a key building is a win for the terrorists. The goal behind a terrorist campaign is to create pressure on the government to acquiesce to the terrorist's demands, the pressure coming from the public demanding the government stop the terrorists (or illustrate to their supporters that they're more powerful than the government and can act to protect/provide for them). The mere fact that they can attempt such a thing is a huge propaganda coup that will cause almost as much panic as if they'd pulled it off. The goal of any terrorist attack isn't physical, but psychological.
There was a point to the above paragraph, but I'm not sure what it was now.

Well as for the Puma, I was envisioning the AFV.



And as for the the revelation, I would like to make this a little more absurd and Rainbow Six: Vegas like. Yes, they have the man power, and while the SWA don't know it yet, they have relatively large quantities of manpower and ammunition. About as much as you can manage to get and still remain mostly inconspicuous, if you move quickly and have training to do so.

And as for the last paragraph: that's actually really good to keep in perspective. Even though the SWA and GIS will very likely be able to annihilate the terrorists, the fact that both the Chamber of Deputies AND the Senate were attacked in force, period, and that the government weren't expecting it, is a huge PR blow. Maybe enough to tip an increasingly fractured Italy over into open internecine hostilities?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Alfisti on Thu 23 May 2013 - 4:19

@Vett wrote:(also, I'd always been taught that was Alpha, as in Alpha and Omega, rather than Alfa, or is it a US vs UK thing?)
I'm fairly certain "Alpha" is "Alpha" everywhere... "Alfa" as in "Alfa Romeo" is actually an acronym standing for "Anonima Lombarda Fabricca Automobili", the "Romeo" was added later as the last name of a (presumably quite egotistical) company director.

El Conservatore wrote:The idea was that the SWA would be entering the hot zone in 6x6 Puma
AFVs. If the Eighth Cav performs sweeps as it advances, would that work
for stragglers? Or would it be better to have a mechanized infantry
division for this role?
Well if they're hole up in AFVs it's less of an issue... you would want to be sure the area where they were entering the building was clear though...

...on that thought though: if you have vehicles, surely something with a water cannon mounted on it would be more in line with "breaking up a riot" than relying purely on soldiers? I'd be pairing up that and tear gas.

@Vett wrote:The cordon would keep press _back_, but it still leaves the potential
for a long-range glimpse - depending on where they've put up the cordon.
Canon, Nikkor, Sigma and Tamron all make some pretty awesome telephoto lenses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
avatar
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5765

Location : A Town by the Sea, NSW Central Coast, Australia

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Vett on Thu 23 May 2013 - 8:34

I'd suggest that the scenario isn't that absurd: it sounds very similar to the incident in Mumbai.



While I don't know about open warfare, I'd expect an increase in protest/counter-protest, probably violent, and flare-ups around 'border areas' between one set of supporters and another. Smashed car windows if displaying an AC Milan flag, being beaten up for 'looking northern/southan', for example.

Vett

Male

Forum Posts : 195

Location : UK

Fan of : Triella, Henrietta

Original Characters : Rebecca/Edward

Comments :

Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Thu 23 May 2013 - 13:38

@Alfisti wrote:
@Vett wrote:(also, I'd always been taught that was Alpha, as in Alpha and Omega, rather than Alfa, or is it a US vs UK thing?)
I'm fairly certain "Alpha" is "Alpha" everywhere... "Alfa" as in "Alfa Romeo" is actually an acronym standing for "Anonima Lombarda Fabricca Automobili", the "Romeo" was added later as the last name of a (presumably quite egotistical) company director.

El Conservatore wrote:The idea was that the SWA would be entering the hot zone in 6x6 Puma
AFVs. If the Eighth Cav performs sweeps as it advances, would that work
for stragglers? Or would it be better to have a mechanized infantry
division for this role?
Well if they're hole up in AFVs it's less of an issue... you would want to be sure the area where they were entering the building was clear though...

...on that thought though: if you have vehicles, surely something with a water cannon mounted on it would be more in line with "breaking up a riot" than relying purely on soldiers? I'd be pairing up that and tear gas.

@Vett wrote:The cordon would keep press _back_, but it still leaves the potential
for a long-range glimpse - depending on where they've put up the cordon.
Canon, Nikkor, Sigma and Tamron all make some pretty awesome telephoto lenses.

"Alfa" is NATO Phonetic Alphabet for "A". That's a good point with the water cannon. Would I have one or two water cannon AFVs leading the convoy, followed by the others?

----

While I don't know about open warfare, I'd expect an increase in
protest/counter-protest, probably violent, and flare-ups around 'border
areas' between one set of supporters and another. Smashed car windows if
displaying an AC Milan flag, being beaten up for 'looking
northern/southan', for example.

Hrrrmmm....

But those "borders" would still be present? It's just that instead of actual armed troops holding a position, it's more like one of those societal "do not cross this line" things, sort of like the border between the "good" and "bad" neighborhoods?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Vett on Thu 23 May 2013 - 16:16

El Conservatore wrote:Hrrrmmm....

But those "borders" would still be present? It's just that instead of actual armed troops holding a position, it's more like one of those societal "do not cross this line" things, sort of like the border between the "good" and "bad" neighborhoods?
That's it exactly.

Vett

Male

Forum Posts : 195

Location : UK

Fan of : Triella, Henrietta

Original Characters : Rebecca/Edward

Comments :

Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Fri 24 May 2013 - 0:42

@Vett wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:Hrrrmmm....

But those "borders" would still be present? It's just that instead of actual armed troops holding a position, it's more like one of those societal "do not cross this line" things, sort of like the border between the "good" and "bad" neighborhoods?
That's it exactly.

Brilliant! Imma go make my new plot then, thanks for the help fellas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Alfisti on Fri 24 May 2013 - 9:31

El Conservatore wrote:"Alfa" is NATO Phonetic Alphabet for "A". That's a good point with the water cannon. Would I have one or two water cannon AFVs leading the convoy, followed by the others?
Huh, learn something every day. I guess that makes sense as some NATO members may not share the common language root for the soft "ph" sound. Here it's taught as "Alpha, Bravo, Charlie" and so on...

As to the water cannon AFVs: At a guess I would say one (depending on the area to be covered)... perhaps with soldiers firing tear gas rounds in formation on either side? Such that the bulk of the crowd can be broken up with gas and the water cannon deal with anyone to stupid to get the idea first time around? Honestly, I'm not sure how they're specifically utilised, Charon might be the better person to ask about riot control techniques... though I don't know how prevalent water cannons are in the US anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
avatar
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5765

Location : A Town by the Sea, NSW Central Coast, Australia

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Fri 24 May 2013 - 14:42

@Alfisti wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:"Alfa" is NATO Phonetic Alphabet for "A". That's a good point with the water cannon. Would I have one or two water cannon AFVs leading the convoy, followed by the others?
Huh, learn something every day. I guess that makes sense as some NATO members may not share the common language root for the soft "ph" sound. Here it's taught as "Alpha, Bravo, Charlie" and so on...

As to the water cannon AFVs: At a guess I would say one (depending on the area to be covered)... perhaps with soldiers firing tear gas rounds in formation on either side? Such that the bulk of the crowd can be broken up with gas and the water cannon deal with anyone to stupid to get the idea first time around? Honestly, I'm not sure how they're specifically utilised, Charon might be the better person to ask about riot control techniques... though I don't know how prevalent water cannons are in the US anymore.

That sounds pretty standard. I could also take a page out of Deng Xiaoping's book and do a Tiananmen Square thing, but I get this feeling it might be too early...

As I say though, thanks for the help!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Fri 31 May 2013 - 1:17

Right, so, Pre-readers? Anyone?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 31 May 2013 - 2:15

Coitanly!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
avatar
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10901

Location : Seattle / Tokyo / Milan

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Fri 31 May 2013 - 10:43

Imma post a G-docs link then, because this baby is 17 pages long.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12hjs_4P3So0zmUHz1LW49-lJSElnKD8mfuYINjsLhjQ/edit?usp=sharing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Thescarredman on Sun 2 Jun 2013 - 22:23

Cool.
First impression, around page five: either your cyborg and handler like pulling legs until they come off, or they're both VERY pragmatic about Caterina's status and future.
Nice interplay with the canon girls. 'Our threat response is a little different.' Heh. Good thing he wasn't a waiter.
Altogether, a nice setup. The action can only get heavier from here. Should be interesting to see how you keep knowledge of the cyborgs from spreading.
avatar
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1888

Location : Toledo, Ohio, United States

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Tue 4 Jun 2013 - 1:29

And one more chapter for peer review briefly before it goes up.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MjrjMygNFDLnybktYWlpcROc3ZGFnNiFIu0tr568fAk/edit?usp=sharing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Sat 15 Jun 2013 - 2:00

New chapter needs proofreading. Anyone up for it? I asked KP, but I'd really like a sample size of three....

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9V5My8wHBE1Sl93OG53VXR5RjQ/edit?usp=sharing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by PolosElite23 on Sat 15 Jun 2013 - 12:05

El Conservatore wrote:New chapter needs proofreading. Anyone up for it? I asked KP, but I'd really like a sample size of three....

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9V5My8wHBE1Sl93OG53VXR5RjQ/edit?usp=sharing
Sure, I'll take a look and PM you my thoughts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
avatar
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 915

Location : Ohio, USA

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 15 Jun 2013 - 16:48

Looks solid. Good A few grammatical errors, but a re-read should highlight them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
avatar
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10901

Location : Seattle / Tokyo / Milan

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by PolosElite23 on Sat 15 Jun 2013 - 16:56

@Kiskaloo wrote:Looks solid. Good A few grammatical errors, but a re-read should highlight them.
Scratch that, I'll just post here Razz

Its solid like Kiskaloo said. Its got a few errors, but nothing a reread won't fix. The Action was more streamlined and not as weighed down. Interactions and the talking were fine and seamless in my opinion.

All in all, Excellent chapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
avatar
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 915

Location : Ohio, USA

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Sat 15 Jun 2013 - 17:30

Brilliant, thanks for the help!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 12:06

Why am I the only person who uses this thread?

Anyway, I need some help on another plan. Specifically, this:


James and Caterina wrote:“We’ll have to try and distract them then,” said James with a grimace. “Do you think we could pull off sidling by carelessly?”

“That could work, but I don’t think it’s got enough of a guarantee,” said Caterina, tapping a finger against the table. “Ideally, we’d have some sort of fire or explosion.”

“You mean like Zhuge Liang and his reed boats?” asked James. “That was a fictional account, you know, and even if it weren’t, we’d need time to prepare, and I’m not convinced the Polizia won’t just storm the building.”

“Yeah, but it’d be better than driving up and exposing ourselves,” argued Caterina. “It can’t be that difficult. We’ll go buy a couple dozen cans of gasoline and an inflatable dinghy at Porto Ecole. Then we’ll row it out, pour the gasoline into the bottom, and throw a flare in after we bail out. The whole thing goes up in flames, the patrol boats are suitably distracted, and our friends can slip away undetected.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by PolosElite23 on Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 17:26

El Conservatore wrote:Why am I the only person who uses this thread?

Anyway, I need some help on another plan. Specifically, this:


James and Caterina wrote:“We’ll have to try and distract them then,” said James with a grimace. “Do you think we could pull off sidling by carelessly?”

“That could work, but I don’t think it’s got enough of a guarantee,” said Caterina, tapping a finger against the table. “Ideally, we’d have some sort of fire or explosion.”

“You mean like Zhuge Liang and his reed boats?” asked James. “That was a fictional account, you know, and even if it weren’t, we’d need time to prepare, and I’m not convinced the Polizia won’t just storm the building.”

“Yeah, but it’d be better than driving up and exposing ourselves,” argued Caterina. “It can’t be that difficult. We’ll go buy a couple dozen cans of gasoline and an inflatable dinghy at Porto Ecole. Then we’ll row it out, pour the gasoline into the bottom, and throw a flare in after we bail out. The whole thing goes up in flames, the patrol boats are suitably distracted, and our friends can slip away undetected.”

 Could I get a better idea as to what is up? How many people are there that need to slip away? Where are they? How many patrol boats? What is the setting like? Taking that into account would help. If there are a lot of patrol boats then not all will investigate, they might be distracted, but not all eyes will be on the burning dingy. If there are ways of concealment those would be preferable. Plus Day or Night?

The amount of people is important. More people you need to get out, the easier it is for them to be found. IF they're extracting by boat (I assume so) it applies similarly, you either need a bigger boat or more boats with the more people you gather, Increasing the chances of discovery, even if most are distracted. Always expect someone to be looking around even if something is burning on the water.

Look at your variables and fit them into where your story is heading. 

Hope this helps. Razz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
avatar
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 915

Location : Ohio, USA

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 17:31

Shoot, I keep forgetting that people can't read minds.


James and Caterina wrote:The fratello finally glimpsed the light of Isola del Giglio’s lighthouse at 22:43. At 23:17, the yacht swung around the end of Isola del Giglio and came within sight of the Social Welfare Agency’s Aquatic and High Altitude Environments Physiological Research Laboratory. Colloquially called the Dive Center, the AAAEF’s civilian mission was very clear. It was located on the coast, in a sheltered cove that made it difficult for prying eyes to see, with a series of loading docks that allowed the Dive Center to take delivery of goods without having to pass them through more than one checkpoint. The rise of a Lega Nord mayor had, unfortunately, put a stop to these deliveries, but until now, the Dive Center had been able to operate mostly unmolested.

Unfortunately, this was no longer the case.

“There are four patrol boats, each with a seven man crew,” reported Caterina, taking a deep breath in order to focus and treat the situation objectively. “About a platoon of Polizia are parked tightly around the main entrance with regular patrols around the perimeter. I estimate that nothing is going to get out of that compound.”

“Don’t underestimate our friends,” cautioned James. “They’ve got at least a decade of experience running gauntlets like this.”

“Still, it won’t be easy,” said Caterina, turning her laptop around for James to see. “The patrol boats are space evenly across the cove, turned broadside to the facility. It’s just enough to cover the entire space, and they’ll see anyone trying to get out via the loading docks.”

The friends in question is the Elio-Marisa Fratello, property of Professor Voodoo and used with permission. They're diving specialists, and Elio in particular has at least a decade of undersea operations under his belt.

The boat James and Caterina are using is a Princess V42 luxury weekender yacht, with berths for up to six people in somewhat cramped conditions.


Latitude/Longitude Coordinates of Isola del Giglio (C/P into Google Maps) : 42.357022,10.900444

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by PolosElite23 on Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 19:31

After looking it over and talking via Chats it sounds good.

(still should toss in some 9mm for fun....JK)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
avatar
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 915

Location : Ohio, USA

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Sun 7 Jul 2013 - 2:37

Marisa and Caterina wrote:“Do you have any ideas about what to do later?” asked Caterina, biting into her wedge of fried-stuff.

Marisa's eyes went wide as a field of infinite possibility presented itself to her. Staring over Caterina’s head, the red headed ball of energy went uncharacteristically silent. Caterina did not realize something was amiss until she looked up from cutting a second wedge of fried-stuff and caught sight of a disturbing sparkle in Marisa’s eyes.

“Marisa... what are you thinking about?” asked Caterina cautiously.

“You know,” said Marisa, a grin beginning to stretch across her face, “this yacht can go very fast.”

“Yes...?” Caterina laid her utensils down in case she needed to bolt.

Marisa looked down and made eye contact with Caterina. The disturbing sparkle had now enveloped Marisa’s eyes, making the rest of the world fade away as Caterina found herself compelled to stare deep into that great, endless abyss. All other sound faded as Marisa opened her mouth and uttered words of great weight and power: “We should hitch your dinghy to the back and ride it like a giant water tube.”

Thoughts?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by PolosElite23 on Sun 7 Jul 2013 - 20:21

El Conservatore wrote:
Marisa and Caterina wrote:“Do you have any ideas about what to do later?” asked Caterina, biting into her wedge of fried-stuff.

Marisa's eyes went wide as a field of infinite possibility presented itself to her. Staring over Caterina’s head, the red headed ball of energy went uncharacteristically silent. Caterina did not realize something was amiss until she looked up from cutting a second wedge of fried-stuff and caught sight of a disturbing sparkle in Marisa’s eyes.

“Marisa... what are you thinking about?” asked Caterina cautiously.

“You know,” said Marisa, a grin beginning to stretch across her face, “this yacht can go very fast.”

“Yes...?” Caterina laid her utensils down in case she needed to bolt.

Marisa looked down and made eye contact with Caterina. The disturbing sparkle had now enveloped Marisa’s eyes, making the rest of the world fade away as Caterina found herself compelled to stare deep into that great, endless abyss. All other sound faded as Marisa opened her mouth and uttered words of great weight and power: “We should hitch your dinghy to the back and ride it like a giant water tube.”

Thoughts?

  Well first off...I have wifi in the middle of Honduras (somehow...I'm in the middle of no where) so yay. Second... I like where this is going...I want to see this lol...

Caterina: *in dingy holding on for dear life* Why did I agree to this!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
avatar
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 915

Location : Ohio, USA

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Fri 12 Jul 2013 - 21:22

Characterization is bloody freakishly difficult. Damn.

Once again, I would ask if Marisa seems in character for this segment.

------


Marisa wrote:Marisa very carefully peeked into the room her “cousin” was sleeping in. Despite every attempt for the last several hours to keep herself occupied, there was nothing left worth doing in the house. Her gun was clean, her scuba gear was organized, Elio’s scuba gear was organized, she’d even resorted to cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms! It was now nearing on noon, she was hungry and bored and wanted to play.

The distance from Caterina’s door to her bed was a good eight feet. The sparsely furnished room had been quickly filled with a fine layer of external hard drives, filled with tables of data, statistical calculations, and write ups about how the battle in the region might progress. A bookshelf that had started empty was now overflowing, as was the wardrobe and the nightstand. Marisa would probably be pitched through the window and punched in the face if she knocked any of that over, but if she did this right...

Coiling her legs, Marisa leaped forward, arms outstretched in a pounce. Until the very last second, she was absolutely certain she was going to get the drop on the sleeping form under the covers.

Then the blankets had been thrown up. With a squawk of dismay, Marisa found herself entangled in the voluminous material as Caterina pinned her to the bed and shoved the pillow over her head.

A beat. Then: “Marisa... what time is it?” groaned Caterina, sitting back and rubbing at her eyes.

“Eleven forty three AM!” chirped Marisa, wriggling under the covers. “You’ve been sleeping for ten hours and I’m bored and hungry and want to do something!”

“...don’t you have homework?” asked Caterina groggily, swiping at her hair to try and get it out of her eyes.

“Did it already,” sighed Marisa. “After I finished cleaning the kitchen and the bathrooms and reorganized the spice cabinet in alphabetical order.”

“...fine, I’ll get up,” sighed Caterina, swinging herself down and landing on the balls of her feet lightly. “You must be really bored.”

Marisa rolled herself off the bed with a thump. “Very.”

“Don’t get dust on my bed sheets!” scolded Caterina, pulling them off of her younger compatriot.

“But I’m borrrrrred!” groaned Marisa, refusing to be of any help and lying limp in the nest as Caterina tried to untangle them without ripping anything.

“That doesn’t mean anything!”

“Yes it does!”

“No it- oh no you don’t.”

Marisa giggled. “Making you get into silly arguments is fun!”

Caterina tried to glare but ended up just looking constipated. Marisa broke down into giggles again.

With a sigh, Caterina managed to extricate the boneless meat sack that was Marisa and dragged her by the foot out to the kitchen.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by ElfenMagix on Fri 12 Jul 2013 - 21:55

Interesting. Only complaint is that Marisa is not a giggly kind of girl. She is more like a Tom Boy, as she was in her former life and it comes back in her once in a while. I think she would laugh at the last set of giggles here and say something that would make Catrina mad.

And being dragged by her foot Marisa would fight back unless Catrina has her in some kind of hold.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
avatar
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Location : NYC NY, USA

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 12 Jul 2013 - 22:11

I think Marisa would be more inclined to just shake Caterina awake and ask her to help think of something to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
avatar
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10901

Location : Seattle / Tokyo / Milan

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Vett on Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 18:52

I know Il Direttore will be overjoyed someone's finally using his thread, so as it's not worth it's own thread I'm going to stick it in here rather than clutter the OC forums with what's really a writing problem.

One of the other fratelli I've got knocking around my head is an international wet-work and general use fratello, ranging from orders to make a messy example of someone to being sent to a general area and being told to cause havoc on their own initiative. The logic behind the tasking is that the cyborg is controllable, but lacks the self-control to successfully operate covertly. Being given a brief to make (public, but untraceable) mess means that it's not a major issue when the cyborg has a 'Henrietta moment' writ large, and the handler has enough control over her to be able to put the leash back on once the fighting's over. She's either on, or off, and doesn't have the same ability for restraint and deception that the other cyborgs use to varying degrees. Essentially, the SWA has a virtually unusable cyborg, but this way they at least get some benefit out of it, while more valuable assets can move on to the next international situation without being compromised by taking action.

That being the case, I need a profession that explains a transient life spent in rented rooms and a valid reason to take his daughter with him.

I'm toying with a writer for travel guide series, or alternatively going for some well renumerated job that doesn't require a physical workplace, like buying and selling shares or something similar.

Thoughts (on the scenario or the profession, I'm not fussy which)?

Vett

Male

Forum Posts : 195

Location : UK

Fan of : Triella, Henrietta

Original Characters : Rebecca/Edward

Comments :

Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 19:53

I am of the opinion that a fratello with a cyborg like that would be one that the Prime Minister would not want operating outside of Italy's borders. Murphy will ensure that such actions will not remain "untraceable" forever and then you have the risk of blowback. 

When operating out of the country, the Pagani fratello ensure their foreign adventures stay as "underneath the radar" as possible because the last thing they need is a SNAFU that leads them coming to the attention - to say nothing of the detention - of the local law enforcement authorities.

Also, to what benefit does the Italian government get from having a fratello making "public messes" in other countries?


Last edited by Kiskaloo on Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 21:56; edited 1 time in total

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
avatar
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10901

Location : Seattle / Tokyo / Milan

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 21:54

Kiskaloo does bring up a good point, especially with regards to loose cannons outside the country. If you plan on handwaving that in some manner to focus on character development (which I would NOT recommend), it seems to me that your options include Translator, Contracting Engineer, Private Security Consultant/Contractor, or Researcher of (Insert Field Here).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Alfisti on Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 11:39

Kisk and ID both raise salient points which bear thinking about. From my own perspective, and dependent on what sort of story you wanted to write, the biggest hurdle for the idea doesn't just lie with the foreign powers, but with the Padania and its associates themselves. If the cyborg is making the occasional public display outside Italy's boarders, other governments may not immediately realise what they're looking at, however the Padania will. In that they're then stripping away one extra layer of security other fratelli operating internationally would have otherwise enjoyed: namely that, for the reasons stated in the You're Not Suited to This thread, the competition may well have assumed that cyborgs would only operate domestically. If they're aware cyborgs are operating outside Italy's borders, then they'll be on the lookout there as well.

Of course, it depends on how the situation was handled.

That said though: with a bit of thought put to it, and dependent on what sort of story you were wanting to write, I think there's a reasonable possibility you could write around the issues. I would be keeping away from the fine detail though and giving people just enough information for it to work in their own heads. For the record I don't think Monty (or Jethro) would be particularly keen on the idea, but she doesn't always get a say either Razz 

As to professions: again, I think the issue is not so much finding a profession, but explaining why the cyborg is along rather than, say (assuming she's of a school age), left in a boarding school. If you think of one, let me know, because I'll admit it's something I tend to hand-wave a little (correspondence schooling) when Monty needs to somehow play at being a legitimate relative. It's much easier to let her be Jethro's "niece", which gives people a lie to see through to the "truth", explaining her presence whilst shielding the actual truth.

As to professions: I would be cautious of "travel writer", as that requires someone, somewhere to create actual physical output to fit in with the story, anything which makes it easy for someone to chase up later might be better avoided. Off the top of my head though: something construction related possibly, for example a certifying engineer or even a certified weld-inspector; specialist equipment sales (pick anything: medical equipment, factory gear, construction plant), some sort of consultant... which would also make it easier to create the cover as you would set him up as a one-man-band.

Hope some of that was at least moderately helpful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
avatar
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5765

Location : A Town by the Sea, NSW Central Coast, Australia

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Vett on Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 19:26

Um... yeah. Just a minor flaw in the plan. Putting the unstable cyborg to one side:



As to why make 'public messes', I'd argue that the SWA makes no secret that it's assassinating Padania in Italy: it gets (or thinks it gets, but that's another argument for another time) a degredation in PAdania's effectiveness as a fighting force; a visible scalp for PR; reduces leadership effectiveness though stress/fear/disruption due to needing to relocate regularly; forces Padania to reallocate resources from attack to defending the key players; and reduces eagerness for promotion, again limiting Padania effectiveness. As far as Italy's concerned, dead terrorists are a good thing, and a visible deterrent is more-so.



The question is about the cost vs benefit analysis of doing it overseas. What I envisioned was something along the lines of WRATH OF GOD when being public, 'accidents' in other places, and bloody murders in others, but framed to make people think mugging gone horribly wrong rather than Italian Operative. The handler prefers to run false-flag operations and ideally manipulate other groups into doing it for him. Padania will know someone's going after their overseas operations, I suspect that the decent intelligence agencies will know that Italy's doing it, and possibly suspect the SWA, but there's no actual proof pointing toward Italy. If they're careful with target selection, I can't see anyone making too big a fuss... everyone knows Israel is going after Iranian nuclear scientists, but no-one's really complaining - but it is cyborg tech outside of Italy and, as you say, an undesirable level of potential blowback (again, like Israel and the passports).



As far as Padania assuming they only operate at home... it's possible, but from memory a lot of the arguments in that thread are to do with travel and the need for conditioning pills/repairwork. I'm not entirely convinced Padania know enough about the detail to be able to draw that conclusion, and if they're not worried about having an assassination squad (cyborg or otherwise) hike over the mountains to blow them up in Berne, I'd suggest they're stupid enough to deserve it. Italy is clearly taking a leaf from the Israeli playbook, and the terrorists really ought to know it. On the other hand, fear is one thing, certain knowledge is another, significantly bigger problem.



Re compromising intelligence operations: Yeah, my own (I suppose that should be other now) OCs wouldn't be particularly in favour of the idea of going around killing terrorists when they could instead be following them and having unfortunate runs of bad luck shortly after arriving in Italy. That said, taking out the little fish is useful, and if done correctly can splinter Padania further than it is already. Moreover, the PM is "doing something".



Taking a step back, what I'm trying to set-up is a them vs the world type affair, operating with minimal back-up save for the occasional packet of conditioning pills etc. from a dead-drop, and the occasional post-mortem asset injection from Padania. I'm not opposed to setting it in Italy - it causes problems for a sub-plot, which is always a good thing, but I can't see a logical way of cutting ties to the agency to the degree needed. The other role the pair have is being a dedicated anti-cyborg unit as the cyborg has literally never mixed with the others thus there's no doubt whatsoever that she'll pull the trigger when the time comes; I could use that as a reason for them to be closeted away from the agency and given the bare minimum of back-up, but I'm not sure how plausible that sounds.



The other option that's belatedly occurred to me would be to do an AU set immediately after the assault on the SWA in chapter ninety-whatever it was. The group is all nicely rolled up, then restarted, but this time with no centralised agency, just a voice over a phone and a mission, with occasional blindfolded visits to a private home with a very well equipped hospital in the basement; the tech crew is all hidden behind faceless corporations and medical charities.



Returning to the cyborg in the room, I think the best bet is to re-jig her slightly: she's got enough issues that I can make the self-control problems backstory, which gives me a cleaner slate whichever way I end up going.



Alfisti, as far as covers go, I've no idea. The most plausible one I can think of is being on holiday or, if absolutely necessary, being taken out of school to travel the world for a year. But they're rather situational and I don't think the places Monty ends up needing to trot out a cover are on the normal tourist trail.

Vett

Male

Forum Posts : 195

Location : UK

Fan of : Triella, Henrietta

Original Characters : Rebecca/Edward

Comments :

Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 19:51

So, it sounds to me you have a perfect set up for a Directed Weapon of Mass Destruction. Use her as such. 

You have various people available to you in Section One and Section Two to identify targets, extrapolate a time and location, and deliver packages critical for operational success. At that point, you literally have a small tank ready to destroy the entirety of a base of operations with minimal assistance from the handler. With the appropriate intelligence-handwashing techniques that we can assume the SWA has, you literally have a Terrorist targeting Terror Weapon that the PM can aim and shoot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Alfisti on Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 1:22

Ah ok, I see where you were going with the types of jobs they would be doing. I've got to admit, when you said "public" I envisaged things like drive-shootings etc: very public "example making" at the like.

Regarding the thought on the Padania assuming the SWA was a domestic operation: the potential political blowback was what I was referring to, and I would agree that they are unlikely to know the ins and outs of the cyborg technology (though they would have to have figured something was up). The Padania, after all, does have its own political arm and I think they would be as aware (at least, assuming it was far enough along in the timeline for them to be reasonably aware of the cyborgs themselves) of the potential ramifications of cyborg tech going, and possibly being captured, outside Italy as anyone in the legitimate government. Yes, it would be stupid for them to not expect the fight to be taken internationally, but I think the SWA is something they would be less expecting to encounter. All good things come to an end of course, but I doubt the SWA would want to hurry the process.

The "them against the world" scenario: did you have something lined up to deal with routine maintenance? Sending out conditioning pills is one thing, but the girls seem to require reasonably regular check-ups and tweaking... some of the specialised equipment for which I'm dubious of the portability of. That, or I guess the SWA could possibly, if she really was that much trouble, be intending to just let her wear out... though in that scenario: would they want a poorly maintained cyborg operating under such high stakes. The AU sounds interesting, and at least solves that maintenance issue whilst keeping a similar feel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
avatar
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5765

Location : A Town by the Sea, NSW Central Coast, Australia

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 2:31

I've always viewed Padania and the Five Republics Faction as being like the Provisional Irish Republican Army. They have their "action" units which engage in what the government would consider "terrorism", but they also have a political arm - the Associazione del Nord (equivalent to Sinn Fein) - that works within and without Italy.

So your OCs could be tasked with taking out AdN members (and their supporters). I'm doing something similar with Michele and Kara in Tokyo Drift.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
avatar
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10901

Location : Seattle / Tokyo / Milan

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Vett on Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 7:13

@Alfisti wrote:did you have something lined up to deal with routine maintenance? Sending out conditioning pills is one thing, but the girls seem to require reasonably regular check-ups and tweaking... some of the specialised equipment for which I'm dubious of the portability of. That, or I guess the SWA could possibly, if she really was that much trouble, be intending to just let her wear out...
The routine maintance would be a case of having a tech meet them (or having them meet a tech, depending upon how close they are to Italy) at semi-regular intervals for very basic check-ups, along with regular return visits to Rome for a proper "service". Quite what to make the intervals I'm not sure. Monthly for the meet-ups, quarterly for the "service"?

And yes, the SWA's perspective is that their options are either use her for spares or get what use out of her they can before they retire her on grounds of instability. Her handler manages to get her under enough control that, while you wouldn't want to leave her alone, she's stable enough not to be a risk.

@Kiskaloo wrote:So your OCs could be tasked with taking out AdN members (and their supporters). I'm doing something similar with Michele and Kara in Tokyo Drift.
Oddly enough, going after the Italian equivalent of Noraid is indeed one of the things I've got jotted down on my notes page.

Vett

Male

Forum Posts : 195

Location : UK

Fan of : Triella, Henrietta

Original Characters : Rebecca/Edward

Comments :

Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Alfisti on Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 10:49

@Vett wrote:
@Alfisti wrote:did you have something lined up to deal with routine maintenance? Sending out conditioning pills is one thing, but the girls seem to require reasonably regular check-ups and tweaking... some of the specialised equipment for which I'm dubious of the portability of. That, or I guess the SWA could possibly, if she really was that much trouble, be intending to just let her wear out...
The routine maintance would be a case of having a tech meet them (or having them meet a tech, depending upon how close they are to Italy) at semi-regular intervals for very basic check-ups, along with regular return visits to Rome for a proper "service". Quite what to make the intervals I'm not sure. Monthly for the meet-ups, quarterly for the "service"?
Sounds reasonable.

In terms of periods: personally, and it is just personal opinion and speculation here, I tend to imagine it as a quarterly basis for "services"... I certainly work on the idea that three months is the standard cycle. Monty,thanks to her "detuned" build, can safely run out to six, but she returns to Rome for a service on, or as close to as the Blackers can manage, the normal three monthly cycle; with the last three retained as a buffer should anything go awry.

As for check-ups (for a standard build): I think monthly is a reasonable estimate, I don't think they would want to go any longer actually, particularly as the intention I imagine would be to pick up any developing issues and nip them in the bud... doubly so if she's considered a bit unstable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
avatar
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5765

Location : A Town by the Sea, NSW Central Coast, Australia

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Odon on Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 11:37

There's another benefit to the SWA other than their cyborgs; its value as a private death squad of the Prime Minister (and the Minister of Defense).  I always through that was where their real value lay; he can use them to cut through the notorious tangle, corruption and mixed loyalties of the Italian public service to wage his own personal War On Terror, according to his own political interests.  So in regards to whether the SWA would take on a task such as killing people in other countries, it's a mistake to assume that politicians will always pick the politically cautious option.  As history has shown, they can be reckless too, especially if they think they've got a quick solution to a problem (e.g. terrorists operating or raising funds outside the country).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"I had a dream. We were together in my dream. We were brother and sister, father and mother, wife and husband. And both of us were both."
-- The Princess and the Warrior

Odon

Male

Forum Posts : 465

Location : Brisbane, Australia

Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Thescarredman on Sun 29 Sep 2013 - 17:35

A detailed and interesting premise, Vett. Looks like you've got material for about half a million words.

Possible cover story for your 'borg: child actor or, if she's pretty enough, model. No place is too outlandish for a photo shoot. And as quasi-celebrities, they show up at every sort of event you can think of.

Or: child athlete. Many pro sports start them off very young. Maybe her handler can teach her to play tennis. I think some mention was made on another thread about a tennis-playing cyborg who returned serves at 300kph...
avatar
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1888

Location : Toledo, Ohio, United States

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 16 Oct 2013 - 10:59

So, imagine that you've got the perfect cover story and have close contact with a high level Mafiosi. Recently, the police have gotten too close because of something screwing up somewhere and he needs to book it out of the country. 

Do you pretend to help him, kidnap him, interrogate everything out of his skull, then leave his body as an example? Or do you actually help him stay safely out of harm's way and glean HUMINT from him in the form of rumors and casual conversation while he's chilling in his cabin in Finland?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Kiskaloo on Wed 16 Oct 2013 - 11:22

I'm a bit confused.

Are we talking a government agent who has been infiltrated into the Mafia and is now at risk of being burned or someone in the Mafia who has agreed to become an informant for the government and is now at risk of being discovered as an informant?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
avatar
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10901

Location : Seattle / Tokyo / Milan

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 16 Oct 2013 - 11:50

Neither, the scenario is that you are the government agent who is pretending to work for the mafia as one of the people who clean up messes. Up to now, you've been doing small to medium sized jobs (such as handling dead bodies in the backs of vans) and have made a name for yourself as someone who has a very large list of phone numbers to complete a wide variety of tasks. 

Last night, a high level Mafiosi's operation went somewhat completely to hell because of bad intel, and now the Guardia di Finanza has enough evidence to arrest the man and anyone associated with him. Your job is now to get him out of the country long enough for the mafia to fix the trials to guarantee his freedom. 

Currently, there are two options. 

The first is to call your superiors in the govt. (Section 1, specifically) and request permission to interrogate the suspect and get everything you can out of him before killing him and dumping the body. When he's out of the country, he's going to be cut off from the mafia and there's no way to get more info. You'd need to kill him down the line somewhere eventually, why not do it now? This is balanced by the fact that you may throw the mafia into an uproar, which would then make operations more difficult later down the line. 

The second is to actually help him out of the country to Finland (because Finland). There, he'll only have the occasional, heavily edited, email from his pals telling him what the news is in Italy, and it's not likely that he'll get much minable data apart from rumor and hearsay (which can be used, but aren't the best sources of intel). However, it's theoretically possible that after the trials, he'd continue being a good source of info if you befriended him. This is balanced by the fact that if you leave a man sitting around with nothing to do for too long, he might start noticing things, draw too many connections, and tell his friends in Italy, which would almost certainly get you and your associates targeted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
avatar
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Location : Chicago, Illinois, United States

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius


Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Vett on Wed 16 Oct 2013 - 16:53

Depends on the context.

If killing him will severely impact upon his organisation's ability to carry out criminal enterprises, or cause infighting that will do the same and, as a bonus, remove other key people in the organisation, I'd say do it... provided option two doesn't work.

With option two, you have him in a room you control, which you can bug and, under the circumstances, almost certainly talking on tape about interfering with a trial, which will get him locked up, should you wish it. This can also be used as leverage (once, of course, the undercover agent has been withdrawn from that particular role).

As well as that fall back option, just helping spirit him out brings the undercover agent closer into the Mafioso's confidences, giving you the chance of more access in the future. And, while it's possible for the man to make connections, I'm somewhat sceptical of his ability to put two and two together provided the safehouse is set-up properly.

While it's not one of the options listed, I think section one probably have enough pull to arrange for the trial to fail themselves and do a deal with the Mafioso without the need for elaborate chicanery. It's also worth pointing out that, generally speaking, suspected co-operation with the authorities is a death sentence. The threat of spreading rumours to the effect that he's working with the police would be quite a stick.

A blackmailed informant isn't as reliable as a willing one, but if it's a big jail sentence, he may well play ball. And if not, well... there's always option one.

Playing the long game is usually better, as once you have one person, you can use them to track and expose more of the organisation, rather than just removing a little bit. Unless you deliver a knock-out blow, someone else will always move to fill in the gap in the internal hierarchy.

But people in charge tend to want short term results they can show their superiors.

Vett

Male

Forum Posts : 195

Location : UK

Fan of : Triella, Henrietta

Original Characters : Rebecca/Edward

Comments :

Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Distress Signal

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum