How long does it take to make a cyborg?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How long does it take to make a cyborg?

Post by A Kool Poptart on Fri 14 Jun 2013 - 15:28

A common problem I am running into with my story (which already has about 4 chapters already outlined) is simply time itself. Such as the year the GsG universe revolves around. Another is how long does it take to transform a human into a cyborg. Can a cyborg be field ready (not typically combat ready) in only a few days or does it take much longer than that. If longer, that helps me a lot because I can implement a time jump that can explain a lot of things going forward. If not I have a problem, sort of.
A Kool Poptart

Male

Forum Posts : 32

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Person of Interest and a bunch of other anime and TV shows that I don't have time to list right now

Original Characters : Elise, Jim Reed

Comments : "Hey look, a naked woman!" ~ Yatsuha

Registration date : 2013-06-08

Back to top Go down

Re: How long does it take to make a cyborg?

Post by Alfisti on Fri 14 Jun 2013 - 16:14

"How long is a piece of string?" I believe is the answer here.

Are we talking from picking the "donor" up from hospital? In the early days it seemed to take awhile, but I imagine by Gen02 the time has become shorter. That said, and I'm speculating here, I wouldn't say less that a week: simply because of the amount of bespoke fabrication that would need to happen, probably quite a bit longer. It's a balance between how long they can keep the donor alive and how long build/conditioning actually takes. Frankly there seems to be very little canon to go on so you've probably got a fair bit of free reign there, within limits.

As to how long it takes to get her ready to go into the field/be field tested (see: ready to be allowed in public, think Claes' first subway mission), well, that can take as long as you want as I imagine it varies girl to girl. If it is any help, I pictured Jethro+Monty taking about a month to work up from Monty's awakening, and they were rushed through, albeit to a different set of requirements to most.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5739

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Fri 14 Jun 2013 - 16:41

the Gen 2 girls get a head start, a lot of the info and technical knowledge as well as directives and orders are preprogramed in at start up, so they already know how to identify clean and maintain their weapons and are loyal to their handler Etc.

after that it's a case of creating the muscle memory to go with the data implanted (teaching them how to shoot/CQB and so on )

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Fri 14 Jun 2013 - 19:29

My first OC, Rachel, is a second gen cyborg, took about  week to create and prematurely release. My second OC Francesca took days.

Reason, the medical team has the parts which they must fit to the girl by customizing it. That can take time depending on the size of the cyborg. Also the surgery takes hours if not a day plus. In Francesca's case, she was already a cyborg and needed everything replaced, so her surgery only took a few hours. But her original cyborg process took weeks, if not months to be assembled as Frankenstein created her by hand - literally! She was his masterpiece, and it shows with the other girls. Now parts are mass produced and then customized for each individual girl - cutting time from weeks and months to days and weeks.

Then the neural reprogramming can take hours if not days, depending on how mentally strong the individual girl is.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5676

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Fri 14 Jun 2013 - 19:50

Well, I guess the question really is what generation your character is, isn't it? I can't remember, is Elise a Gen 2? Was it you or PE23 who had the GenX defectiveborg?

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 14 Jun 2013 - 20:04

I had Kara "go live" the same day she was formally introduced to Michele in Pactio, but she'd already received basic instruction and training from the staff prior to that meeting.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10890

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by A Kool Poptart on Fri 14 Jun 2013 - 20:52

El Conservatore wrote:Well, I guess the question really is what generation your character is, isn't it? I can't remember, is Elise a Gen 2? Was it you or PE23 who had the GenX defectiveborg?

She is in fact a Gen 2 cyborg. 

I also believe someone said that the parts were customized to fit the girl. Is that true in all cases, based on the communities writings that is, or would it be possible to say find a girl with similar measurements and use her backups instead? Mine is already in a dire situation as it is and waiting for parts is not really an option.

"We possess emotions, desires, and can experience sensations that are ours and ours alone. These experiences help shape us as beings and with that comes our very own personality, a soul, which is unique to no one else. And it is all trapped inside of our artificial bodies.” ~Elise

A Kool Poptart

Male

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Person of Interest and a bunch of other anime and TV shows that I don't have time to list right now

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Fri 14 Jun 2013 - 21:55

I mean, the problem we see here is that aesthetically, it just doesn't really work. A single human being has a variety of very small ratios that combine to create a single unit. For example, the ratio of your finger width to length is determined by hand width to length is determined by arm width to length is determined by head to body ratio. This can be argued to go the other way, but the point is that if you have a certain sized head, your body really needs to fit or else you stand out as being subtly wrong. If you're going for borg that operates in standard SWA parameters, I highly recommend seeing if there's a not-BS way to get your cyborg her custom fitted limbs before she is too far gone to save.

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Fri 14 Jun 2013 - 22:27

I said that the parts have to be custom to the girl. It has to be.

The brain is fixated at the body's ratios and expect things to be there: The span of the outstretched arms is equal to the height of that person (with very few rare genetic exception), the width from shoulder to shoulder is equal to the length of the upper arm, the length of the torso is almost equal to the length of the upper leg from hip to knee.

If the prosthesis is off, then it will take months for the cyborg to get used to the new dimensions, and the SWA is not willing to wait months for each girl.

The issue here is Second Gen Petruska, who was made to be taller, but if only her legs were made taller, then she can recover faster, plus she was constantly exercising her self all the time, making her recovery time shorter. But if her arms were also made longer, she would need more time to get hand/eye coordination back to normal.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 14 Jun 2013 - 23:22

@A Kool Poptart wrote:She is in fact a Gen 2 cyborg. 

I also believe someone said that the parts were customized to fit the girl. Is that true in all cases, based on the communities writings that is, or would it be possible to say find a girl with similar measurements and use her backups instead? Mine is already in a dire situation as it is and waiting for parts is not really an option.
I would agree with Elfen here: the major issue is going to be in getting the brain to relearn the body. It's difficult enough to get used to a prosthesis, let alone adding the additional trouble of learning new sizes as well.

That said, the SWA probably has a better chance of keeping a donor alive longer that a regular hospital would... maybe her critical state could be something to put pressure on the medical staff with?

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Sat 15 Jun 2013 - 12:01

El Conservatore wrote:Well, I guess the question really is what generation your character is, isn't it? I can't remember, is Elise a Gen 2? Was it you or PE23 who had the GenX defectiveborg?
Twas me who came up with the Gen X.

@Alfisti wrote:That said, the SWA probably has a better chance of keeping a donor alive longer that a regular hospital would... maybe her critical state could be something to put pressure on the medical staff with?

Most likely. Plus the SWA has some advanced stuff. Say the cyborg-in-making's organs are failing due to trauma or something. The SWA can just replace them, while they work out getting the limbs and stuff ready.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 914

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by A Kool Poptart on Sat 15 Jun 2013 - 15:02

^Agreed.

I actually decided to make her "origin" a little more survivable then what it was before, seeing how a car bomb is like dishing out $2000 worth of punishment on her when I really only want it to be about $100. (Reference to the West Wing)

"We possess emotions, desires, and can experience sensations that are ours and ours alone. These experiences help shape us as beings and with that comes our very own personality, a soul, which is unique to no one else. And it is all trapped inside of our artificial bodies.” ~Elise

A Kool Poptart

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Wed 19 Jun 2013 - 22:18

There a few clues in the manga that the process is pretty lengthy, both for the fabrication of the cyborg body and brainwashing procedure (I believe Triela's was specified as taking a year), but we're talking about early first gens. They've streamlined things considerably for the Gen Two's, I'm sure.
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1834

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Wed 19 Jun 2013 - 22:34

Triela was in a catatonic state from her abuse, rape and drug infusion by the child sex slave and snuff film makers. She was in the hospital for a year before the SWA got her.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by A Kool Poptart on Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 6:36

So based on what I am reading, a week wouldn't be out of the question in order to get her ready for the augmentation.

A Kool Poptart

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 6:39

@A Kool Poptart wrote:So based on what I am reading, a week wouldn't be out of the question in order to get her ready for the augmentation.
I see no reason why not. Frankly I think the usual rule applies: within reason, so long as you can justify it/make it believable it'll fly.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 22:46

@Alfisti wrote:
@A Kool Poptart wrote:So based on what I am reading, a week wouldn't be out of the question in order to get her ready for the augmentation.
I see no reason why not. Frankly I think the usual rule applies: within reason, so long as you can justify it/make it believable it'll fly.
I so agree!

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by A Kool Poptart on Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 22:51

Alright, thanks guys for all the help!!!!!

A Kool Poptart

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 23:52

Enjoy.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum