How Not To Be Seen

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How Not To Be Seen

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 17:03

Inspired by today's installment of the web comic xkcd:

Considering how commonplace smartphones and feature phones with high-resolution still and video cameras are today around the world, one wonders how difficult is it for a fratello to operate in public?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10875

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: How Not To Be Seen

Post by Officer_Charon on Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 17:28

As officers, we're always being told that Internet fame is only a few clicks away. A couple years ago, we had a veteran officer on St. Patrick's Day get into an altercation with a group of drunk and disorderlies. Surrounded by drunkards, faced with three or four potentially hostile individuals who were failing to heed his loud verbal commands, he reacted quickly and decisively, applying force where and when needed. One of the females refused to comply with firm motions, and was put down, hard. She continued fighting, and got batoned as a result. Once she stopped fighting, he focused his attention on the increasingly hostile crowd.

This was all caught on 4 cell phones, AT LEAST (I say this, because I saw 4 different Youtube angles of the fight), from the crowd.

Some folks, as soon as there's a disturbance of ANY kind, will immediately whip out their phones to capture something, if only so they can have a story to tell.

Yeah, I can see it being hard for a Fratello to operate without detection... the trick would be operating fast enough so that once the disturbance is detected, the fratello has already moved on.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1470

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 20:36

It seems easier to restrict missions to clandestine assassination and direct assault duty, neither of which would have media presence and people who aren't going to die. *shrugs*

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 21:49

Hide in plain sight. That all, don't draw attention to your self, fit in with the crowd.

Like when before the prosecutor was to be attacked Sandro threw Petra in the car and started making out with her so that the would be attacker think they were just pair of horny Italians!

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5667

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 22:03

@ElfenMagix wrote:Hide in plain sight. That all, don't draw attention to your self, fit in with the crowd.

Like when before the prosecutor was to be attacked Sandro threw Petra in the car and started making out with her so that the would be attacker think they were just pair of horny Italians!

That is fine while you are waiting for the "shit to go down", so to speak. But once an operation is underway (or a threat appears that the cyborg responds to)...

As El Conservatore suggested, keeping the girls primarily involved in missions that are "out of sight" is the most obvious option. Storming a safe house or sniping from a couple hundred meters away is an easy way to "not be seen".

But then we have scenes within the canon (to say nothing of fan fiction) where the girls are operating in public. In my TOS story Christenings, Kara ends up having to chase a suspect out of his apartment and engaging in a pistol exchange with him in the Piazza della Signoria in Florence. Fortunately a support van was literally moments away, but for 20-30 seconds she was fully exposed and you think a teenaged girl in a school uniform wielding a pistol would draw attention. Wink

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 22:10

"Sir, how do you respond to accusations that the government is using adolescents as undercover agents?!"

"Preposterous! What kind of sicko would do that?"

"But sir, what about this photograph?!" *shows photo of Kara*

"We have very good field agents in SISDE and our other clandestine warfare agencies. Rest assured that what you see here is the product of a great deal of training, makeup, and not a small amount of talent."

"But sir-!"

"No more questions, I'm sorry, but I'm late for a meeting."

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

Il Direttore

Male

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 23:02

El Conservatore wrote:"Sir, how do you respond to accusations that the government is using adolescents as undercover agents?!"

"Preposterous! What kind of sicko would do that?"

"But sir, what about this photograph?!" *shows photo of Kara*

"She's clearly one of those costume playing people."

"She has a pistol."

"I'm sure it's one of those kiddie ones that shoot those plastic pellets. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

(In the rec room back at SWA HQ)

Laine: "You were just p0wned on national TV."

Kara: "Oh the embarrassment."

Marisa: "I think it's pretty cool! Elio only lets me dress like a Catholic school girl, though."

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 23:08

Caterina: Does this mean that we could give Henrietta cat ears and a tail and say she was cosplaying for Strike Witches?

Henrietta: No!

Giuseppe: Hmm... could be cute...

Henrietta: Yes!

---

In all seriousness though, it seems likely that the Govt. is doing SOME sort of public counter-intelligence campaign.

...also, it's hilarious how we keep editing our posts to reflect changes in dialogue.

Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 1:35

you have to remember that most of the media in Italy is owned by members of the government, so cover ups are a little easier to arrange !

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 5:39

El Conservatore wrote:It seems easier to restrict missions to clandestine assassination and direct assault duty, neither of which would have media presence and people who aren't going to die. *shrugs*
Oddly enough, this is a little similar to the knee-jerk reaction I gave the SWA post A Roman Holiday. It's only really touched on in AtAC, but those events are what I'm driving toward at the moment with my current writing.

As a reaction though it is probably a little extreme, and sort of defeats the purpose of having SWA fratelli able to "hide in plain sight". At the end of the day there will always been risk involved in what the SWA do, the trick is limiting that risk without horribly compromising the cyborgs' greatest strengths (not to mention those which make it worthwhile continuing to fund the organisation), one of which, to me at least, is that ability to hide in plain sight.

Probably the best balance would be a review of doctorine, both training and operational to a) make the fratelli more aware of their surroundings and things like the presence of camera phones and, at the risk of gross oversimplification b) put in something to the effect of "if you're going to do something illegal, try to do it out of public view".

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5700

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 11:24

@Awinnell wrote:you have to remember that most of the media in Italy is owned by members of the government, so cover ups are a little easier to arrange !

Indeed. According to the manga, Prime Minister Pisano owns 70% of the Italian media.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 11:52

You can own all the media you want - in this day and age, you can't stop someone shooting a video or snapping a photo, and uploading it in less than 5 minutes.

Now, most cell-phone video is grainy, noisy, and doesn't show a great deal of detail - the government might be counting on this lack of detail to help with their campaign.

Even when there's nothing going on, folks are going to make conspiracy theories. This has the benefit of having such theories be dismissed by the more "serious" side of the population. So your Daily Sun front page headline "CHILD ASSASSINS?! Fresh-faced firefight in tourist area!" is liable to be read for amusement, dismissed as a stunt, and the day continues on.... I could see something like that happening.

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 12:00

That headline, bro. That headline. I like it a lot.

There's also the question of cyborg fragility to consider. Depending on how you interpret it, cyborgs either can take enough damage to count as APCs, or they can only resist cut/slash and handgun rounds. If the former, then you have a lot more operational freedom and can order a frontal charge without issue, allowing you to take advantage of your massive speed and annihilate an enemy in ten seconds flat. If the later, you are forced to move more slowly and be more vulnerable to Youtube.

Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Odon on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 12:44

FATHER, DAUGHTER VICTIM OF NAPLES SNIPER ATTACK

A thirteen year-old English girl and her father are the latest casualties of violence in the southern Italian city of Naples.

Michael Everett and his daughter Cathy were fired upon as they drove through the crime-torn suburb of Secondigliano, a stronghold of the notorious Camorra mafia.  Their rented vehicle was literally "torn apart" by fifty-caliber rifles, originally designed for killing soldiers inside armoured vehicles.

Matthew Everett was killed instantly, while Cathy Everett was paralysed from the waist down.  Doctors state that she will be unable to walk without cybernetic assistance.

Children as young as ten have been recruited into the Camorra.  The tourists, who were unfamiliar with the area, may have been mistaken for members of a rival clan.

Females were previously regarded as untouchable by the clans, a trend that was broken by the death of schoolgirl Annalisa Durante in 2004.

The shooting is the latest in a disturbing trend in Italy where children, especially girls, have been the deliberate targets of violence.

In a crime which shocked even a public hardened to terrorism, a minibus belonging to a girls school in Milan was driven off the road by masked gunmen armed with automatic weapons.  Witnesses watched horrified as they fired several hundred bullets into a dozen girls aged ten to fifteen.  There were no survivors from the attack.

Three weeks later 16 year-old Chiara Dalisi was killed while on a motorcycle driven by her boyfriend, a 23 year-old university student.  They were shot by a right-wing terrorist who claimed in court that he mistook them for government operatives.

In August last year a rocket-propelled grenade destroyed a car containing fifteen year-old Anna Esposito and her police bodyguard.  Anna was the sole survivor of a terrorist bombing five years ago, and had been in protective custody every since.

Defense Minister Monica Petris blamed the attacks on the Five Republics Faction, saying the atrocities were designed to create a climate of fear.

"The use of children as tools of political violence is an act of barbarity," she declared to reporters.  "It is a sign not only of a lack of respect for life, but of any standards of civilisation whatsover."

In an apparent retaliation killing, separatist politician Roberto Sepe was gunned down by a teenage girl who has still not been identified.  Several radical left-wing groups have claimed responsibility.

A spokesman for the centre-left opposition accused the government of concealing the true extent of the problem, claiming that "high-level political pressure" had been exerted to cover up other shootings involving children.

Last edited by Odon on Sat 18 Jun 2016 - 21:36; edited 4 times in total

"I had a dream. We were together in my dream. We were brother and sister, father and mother, wife and husband. And both of us were both."
-- The Princess and the Warrior

Odon

Male

Forum Posts : 463

Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 13:59

....holy fuck.

You brilliant bastard! Though now GsG has suddenly become even MORE depressing.

Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 15:05

Perfectly fitting with the mood of the series... Odon has a talent.

Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Odon on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 20:28

You know I had an idea a while back for a light-hearted story involving the girls being taken back to a rooftop where they'd chased a terrorist a couple of days before.  They find a video crew, an actor and some movie sfx technicians.  The cyborgs are rather puzzled when they're asked to recreate their chase without using their cybernetic abilities.  Much hilarity ensues with wire work and bullet squibs as the girls don't take their task very seriously, but eventually the chase gets filmed.  At the end of the story Jean and Lorenzo are watching a grainy video on the internet showing their cyborgs leaping across rooftops and gunning down their target, and talk of how their video will be released anonymously onto the internet as a "making of" video, so people will think the first one is a hoax.

"I had a dream. We were together in my dream. We were brother and sister, father and mother, wife and husband. And both of us were both."

Odon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 20:30

You should do so. *nods enthusiastically*

Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Odon on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 20:51

El Conservatore wrote:You should do so. *nods enthusiastically*

Unfortunately I'm no good at the day-in-the-life-type stories; they never hold my interest long enough to finish them.  So if someone else wants to use this idea, go ahead.

Odon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 20:52

Awww...

Still, if I was like "Hey Odon, will you write a news article for me for my fic" would you be like "Sure, just make sure to give me credit"?

Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Odon on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 21:00

El Conservatore wrote:Awww...

Still, if I was like "Hey Odon, will you write a news article for me for my fic" would you be like "Sure, just make sure to give me credit"?

Well I can try...

Odon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 22:43

...In hindsight, it does seem inappropriate to insert other people's work like that. Doesn't do the one guy justice, and it would mean I'm basically just buying writing and chucking it into a work. Not sure if that's something to apologize for, but....

Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 23:41

One thing to remember is that the canon is probably set in the early 2000's, when cell phone cameras were rather rare.

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Forum Posts : 1154

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 7:57

@Officer_Charon wrote:Perfectly fitting with the mood of the series... Odon has a talent.
What he said.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 20:03

Triela walked up to Claes, who was pottering about in her garden. "Have you seen Petra?" she asked.

Instead of answering directly, Claes gestured grandly, speaking as though she was narrating a film. "This is Petrushka Ricci, a.k.a. Petra, of Room 12, Block B, Social Welfare Agency, Rome. She cannot be seen. Petra, will you stand up, please?"

Nothing happened.

"Petra has wisely learned the value of not being seen," continued Claes. "However, her wisdom only goes so far, in that she has made the mistake of choosing obvious cover." She produced an M-79 grenade launcher and let fly a round at a nearby bush, which exploded with a scream.

"This demonstrates the value of not being seen," she concluded with a smirk.

"It also demonstrates the value of not asking you about Petra a mere two days after the incident in the shower with your glasses," sighed Triela.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 20:09

ROTFL

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 901

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : Call me PolosElite23...If that's too long for you try one of the following:
Pez PE23
PE Polo
Polos

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 20:10

FTW!!!

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5667

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 21:43

@Odon wrote:You know I had an idea a while back for a light-hearted story involving the girls being taken back to a rooftop where they'd chased a terrorist a couple of days before.  They find a video crew, an actor and some movie sfx technicians.  The cyborgs are rather puzzled when they're asked to recreate their chase without using their cybernetic abilities.  Much hilarity ensues with wire work and bullet squibs as the girls don't take their task very seriously, but eventually the chase gets filmed.  At the end of the story Jean and Lorenzo are watching a grainy video on the internet showing their cyborgs leaping across rooftops and gunning down their target, and talk of how their video will be released anonymously onto the internet as a "making of" video, so people will think the first one is a hoax.

Did something like that once, only not for GsG - a running gun battle between mutants and government agents in a shopping mall, in front of a thousand witnesses. The 'Agency' concocted a coverup story about a movie crew who'd accidentally started filming before the mall was cleared, mistaking the shoppers for extras. They shot the scene for real later, using actors and special effects ... and hired the witnesses to run and scream 'just like you did before, okay?'
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1742

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Odon on Fri 19 Jul 2013 - 2:59

Just in the middle of watching the TV series Dollhouse, which has some of the same themes raised in GSG.  One of the episodes has vox populi interviews with various people on the "urban legend" of the dollhouses.

Odon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 6:41

@Odon wrote: 

FATHER, DAUGHTER VICTIM OF NAPLES SNIPER ATTACK

A thirteen year-old English girl and her father are the latest casualties of violence in the southern Italian city of Naples.

Michael Everett and his daughter Cathy were fired upon as they drove through the crime-torn suburb of Secondigliano, a stronghold of the notorious Camorra mafia.  Their rented vehicle was literally "torn apart" by fifty-caliber rifles, originally designed for killing soldiers inside armoured vehicles.

Matthew Everett was killed instantly, while Cathy Everett was paralysed from the waist down.  Doctors state that she will be unable to walk without cybernetic assistance.

Children as young as ten have been recruited into the Camorra.  The tourists, who were unfamiliar with the area, may have been mistaken for members of a rival clan.

Females were previously regarded as untouchable by the clans, a trend that was broken by the death of schoolgirl Annalisa Durante in 2004.

The shooting is the latest in a disturbing trend in Italy where children, especially girls, have been the deliberate targets of violence.

In a crime which shocked even a public hardened to terrorism, a minibus belonging to a girls school in Milan was driven off the road by masked gunmen armed with automatic weapons.  Witnesses watched horrified as they fired several hundred bullets into a dozen girls aged ten to fifteen.  There were no survivors from the attack.

Three weeks later 16 year-old Chiara Dalisi was killed while on a motorcycle driven by her boyfriend, a 23 year-old university student.  They were shot by a right-wing terrorist who claimed in court that he mistook them for government operatives.

In August last year a rocket-propelled grenade destroyed a car containing fifteen year-old Anna Esposito and her police bodyguard.  Anna was the sole survivor of a terrorist bombing five years ago, and had been in protective custody every since.

Defense Minister Monica Petris blamed the attacks on the Five Republics Faction, saying the atrocities were designed to create a climate of fear.

"The use of children as tools of political violence is an act of barbarity," she declared to reporters.  "It is a sign not only of a lack of respect for life, but of any standards of civilisation whatsover."

In an apparent retaliation killing, separatist politician Roberto Sepe was gunned down by a teenage girl who has still not been identified.  Several radical left-wing groups have claimed responsibility.

A spokesman for the centre-left opposition accused the government of concealing the true extent of the problem, claiming that "high-level political pressure" had been exerted to cover up other shootings involving children.
I was looking for something else but got distracted... three years on and this is still just as magnificent as the day it was posted.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 6:44

Second that. Odon's got it...
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1742

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum