Origins of the Europen Countries' Names

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Origins of the Europen Countries' Names

Post by Three Dog on Fri 9 Aug 2013 - 20:25

I had a bit of spare time of my hands and was trying to puzzle out where the SW 'verse's countries got their names. Here's what I've figured out so far:

Orussia - 'Russia' with an 'O'.
Britannia - Ancient Roman term for Great Britain.
Venezia - Named after the former city state of Venice.
Romagna - Named after the former city state Rome.
Greece - Wasn't changed at all.
Gallia - the region we know as France was known as Gaul (or Gal depending on the source) during in the BC/AD change over (give or take a century or five in either direction), so Gallia would just be an extension of that.
Ostmark - Was actually one of the Third Reich's names for Austria between 1939 and 1942 after I joined up with Nazi Germany. It's a reference to the March of Austria, the border between Holy Roman Empire controlled Austria and Hungary during the Middle Ages.
Osttoman - The Ottoman Empire minus the 'Empire' and with an 's' whacked in there for good measure.
Hispania - the Roman name for the Iberian Peninsula that Spain and Portugal now occupy.
Dacia - the Roman name for the land that the Thacians occupied which is now roughly Bulgaria and Romania, though Dacia only covers Romania in this 'verse.
Belgica - Former province of the Holy Roman Empire. However it was known as Gallia Belgica (Belgic Gaul). It was made up of Belgium, Luxemburg, the German Rhineland, and northern France.
Baltland - the Balts of Baltic People live in Jutland, that peninsula jutting out of Germany. Now, Baltland also includes Norway and Sweden, so here's how I think it went: The Balts named their land using the same convention that was used to name Poland (where the Pols live) and Finland (where the Finns live), and then went conquering.
Moesia - The Roman name for the province that occupied Southern Serbia, Northern Macedonia, Northern Bulgaria, Dobrudja, Southern Moldova, and Badjak. Since the author was keeping up with real world borders, only Bulgaria became known as Moesia.

So, what appeared to be a seemingly random naming convention used by the author was in fact a well thought out and almost logical naming convention: use the Roman names for regions but keep most of the real world borders. And he only broke his own convention a couple of times.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret
slander boldly, something always sticks
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Origins of the Europen Countries' Names

Post by BleepinFireman on Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 0:56

How could you forget Karlsland??

Karlsland: Its basically a literal combination of "Charles" and "land" in German, therefore, meaning "Charles' Land"

Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sorry its such a short think-through

War is peace. Freedom is ignorance. Slavery is strength

-George Orwell
BleepinFireman

Male

Forum Posts : 60

Fan of : Eastern-Bloc

Original Characters : Jun Yamashita/ Ursula Nelson

Comments : "Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form."
-Karl Marx

Registration date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 2:42

@BleepinFireman wrote:How could you forget Karlsland??

Karlsland: Its basically a literal combination of "Charles" and "land" in German, therefore, meaning "Charles' Land"

Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sorry its such a short think-through
I swear, I looked over that list three times before posting it, sure that I had gotten everything mentioned in Europe. Dammit Murphy!

But no, you're right on the money as far as I'm concerned, with no issue as far as being short. I settled one of them in four words after all.

Feel free to mention if I missed anywhere else, because I'm a little bit paranoid about it now. sweat

Last edited by Three Dog on Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 17:39; edited 1 time in total

Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret
slander boldly, something always sticks
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by BleepinFireman on Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 13:51

No problem

War is peace. Freedom is ignorance. Slavery is strength

-George Orwell
BleepinFireman

Male

Forum Posts : 60

Fan of : Eastern-Bloc