Hello there

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello there

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 9:20

Umm, hi.

How to explain this...

Actually, my first reaction to GSG was kind of a shocked recoil, but eventually I gave it a chance, and skimmed most of the first three anime episodes.

It's bittersweet sadness, and lack of anything resembling perversity or fanservice hooked me, so I now have a box set on the way, and have picked up the first two books of the manga so far.

But in there somewhere, something really freaking strange happened - normally I don't "do" fanfic, reading or writing, and yet somehow one piled up in my subconscious, banged on the muses door and DEMANDED to be written, like, right now.

So.. here I am.

If I can find a correct place to do so, I might post the unfinished, very rough draft, if anyone's interested.

-Frem

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello there

Post by West Nile on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 9:26

Ciao, welcome to the forum

we have a thread here for fanfics but i think most fanfics go to Fanfic. net. don't go there now they're suffering from traffic, (brushes fanfic.net dust of shoulder) most of the guys here are also members of fanfic.net so u'll work will be heard there.

So how did u find this site? from the looks of it you did not get it from the downloaded manga since you are trying to buy your own stuff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photobucket
Just cause I'm dead, doesn't mean I can't be your Loli Fantasy!
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Forum Posts : 1747

Fan of : Triela, Elsa, Enrica & Henrietta

Original Characters : Lance Kane/Raphael, Ella, Mina & Brandon, Sophia & Wesley, Anica & Andrew, Rio de Sica, Marionette

Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 9:38

I just stumbled over it looking for GSG commentary and reviews, and since some of the stuff made me laugh sooo hard, I fav placed it.

What I have is a really rough draft, written in a near-noir style, that isn't even finished yet - but I know utterly ZILCH about fanfic as a whole, nada, so I don't even know if/when/where draft posting is acceptable.

This thing just kind of fell out of my subconscious fully loaded and DEMANDING to be written, like I said, it was the freakiest thing ever.

-F

Back to top Go down

Post by Sintendo on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 9:38

Fremdfirma wrote:
But in there somewhere, something really freaking strange happened - normally I don't "do" fanfic, reading or writing, and yet somehow one piled up in my subconscious, banged on the muses door and DEMANDED to be written, like, right now.

So.. here I am.

If I can find a correct place to do so, I might post the unfinished, very rough draft, if anyone's interested.

-Frem

We've all been there, man. How the hell do you think I ended up in THIS place?

lol, Welcome aboard!
Sintendo
Attention Gigolo

Male

Forum Posts : 618

Comments : It's like a 5 hour orgasm.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 9:44

indeed. I've seen some stuff posted that's nearly unreadable (granted, it was probably from some folks whose English was learned late in life, so kudos for the effort in any case)
you seem pretty articulate, though. I'd like to read what you've got, if you wanna post it anywhere. Welcome aboard.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 9:46

ok, here goes, be merciful, lol.

Lemme do a quick sweep for anything really screwed up, and i'll drop the bomb shortly.

-F

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 10:05

Posted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 11:02

welcome to the forum
hope you have a nice time
just remember the three rules
dont run with scissors
dont take candy from a stranger
and what ever you do DONT FUCK WITH RICO
have a nice day

Back to top Go down

Post by Probit Return on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 12:34

You forgot rule 4, which is on par with rule 3. Don't tell Elsa she's useless... ever.

Anywho, Welcome to the forums Firma. Join the fun.

Did you say "Nerd"?

Fission Mailed

"What do you mean 'What the hell is a Funyarinpa?' You mean... you don't know?"
"How the hell would I know?"
"How could you not know?! That's... that's practically blasphemous! Say you're sorry! Apologize to the Funyarinpa! Goodness, you are such a rude woman..."
Probit Return
That One Guy

Male

Forum Posts : 653

Fan of : Stuff

Original Characters : Adrianna, Nero, Abigail, and now Luca

Registration date : 2008-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 14:21

Hello there mister I hope you enjoy your stay

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 1:47

you seem new to the whole Gunslinger Girl series so just gonna leave you with advice, avoid the -spoiler- page and stay away from the il teatrino and 3rd season page as much as possible. if you want to stay with the series as long as possible you'll listen to my later advice

Photobucket
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Original Characters : Lance Kane/Raphael, Ella, Mina & Brandon, Sophia & Wesley, Anica & Andrew, Rio de Sica, Marionette

Back to top Go down

Post by emperor on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 4:14

You can post you story at www.fanfiction.net but if you need advise about how to develop your story/character.

You can post its at Splendid fanfic & fanart board,at the bottom of this forum.

Welcome!!

:billnye:

http://on.fb.me/9tuZOK Facebook Page for Cyborg Central : Gunslinger Girl Forum cheers
emperor

Male

Forum Posts : 1637

Fan of : Henrietta,Black Lagoon,Jormungund

Original Characters : Rosetta,Devil baby

Comments : Be creative,baby!!

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 6:09

Oh, I am a bit strange in that way - I don't mind spoilers, it's not the story, it's all in the *telling*, you know ?

I forgot where I heard it, but I once heard that in effect, there's only seven stories in the world and it's all in how you tell em that matters... it seems to have some truth to it.

I managed to pick up manga books 3-6 and my box set (Viridan) arrived today - but having seen some bits of season 2 for review, I cannot say I am impressed, still pans and shaking screenshots isn't animation, it's a slideshow, and I will reserve further comment cause I am not sure whether that kind of language is allowed around here.

I don't mind payin for good anime/manga, if I can get my hands on it, although I am not so into some of it because I really dislike the whole loli/fanservice thing.

I am more an action buff, but the Fremgirl sucked me into two manga that I thought would leave me nauseous but were actually funny and enjoyable.

Tramps Like Us (Manga)
Fruits Basket (Manga + Anime)

Does Laura Bailey (Henrietta) voice Tohru Honda ?
It sure sounds like her, even if it isn't.

She also reads Dazzle (Manga) and Wallflower (Manga), the latter of which I might read, the premise looks amusing.

I did like Gunsmith Cats (Manga + OVA) up to the third Omnibus, but as it leaned further towards Loli/Fanservice and dark, unrealistic weirdness, I have no interest in the fourth, especially since all the plot lines worth anything closed in Omni three, it jumped out at me...
THIS IS THE HAPPY ENDING MOMENT, STOP HERE BEFORE YOU PULL A ROBERT JORDAN, PLEASE !!!
So I plan to leave Rally and Minnie right there rather than bother with Omni four.

Anyone know how far ADV Manga carried GSG before they (more than likely) dropped it like a hot brick without warning, like they do everything else ?

FYI, my language is english only and I have extreme difficulty reading unflipped Manga, although I will admit that very few Manga can be flipped without screwing up important key elements, I understand that, I just have a hard time reading it this way, especially if (Fruits Basket) the author and artist play fast and loose with the panelling structure.

I ramble sometimes, forgive it, I drive a cab all day, which amounts to seeing the worst of humanity and their bad habits from inside a small compartment with an armor plated back wall which makes any effective communication beyond destination and price rather pointless.

-F

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 7:17

Fremdfirma wrote:having seen some bits of season 2 for review, I cannot say I am impressed

bang head i was afraid you were going to say that. don't worry atleast 80% of the il teatrino posts are negative so your comments are welcome here.

Photobucket
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 12:41

Well, since I don't know any of the languages it's dubbed in, I can't comment on the storytelling - am reading book 3 of the Manga now.

It's not that the animation is "cheaper" that bugs me, they could work with that, season one has some still shots and pans worked in with the soundtrack very well that do indeed carry in a very artistic fashion, so it's possible - I will have to reserve judgement till it's carried in a language I can follow though.

All that said, a voice over on a shaking screenshot is not a good sign, no.

-F
Spoiler:
Yeah, I just watched 9-10 of the Anime, the moment Lauro said "useless" I *KNEW* he was a dead man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 13:14

Hello sir. A cab driver in the big windy city of Detroit? I have a lot of respect for you already having to put your life on the line everyday like that even though you have a armor plated back wall.

ADV Manga a while back in 2005 dropped Gunslinger Girl at volume 3 and than picked it up again in late 2007 already publishing 6 volumes in english already. In Japan they are already up to volume 9 and have release dates and some other countries are catching up, as for us Americans, there is no word yet on any releases past vol. 6. There are rumors going around that ADV Manga dropped the english version for Gunslinger Girl, but rumors ARE rumors until it is officially annouced. There really is no officially word on the american version of Gunslinger Girl past volume 6, so all we can do is sit around and wait and hope for ADV Manga to pick up their act.

In my opinion, if ADV Manga can't pick up their act with the English version releases of Gunslinger Girl. They should sell the series to another manga printing company, so they can actually do something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Probit Return on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 15:16

My copy of volume 6 has an ad for volume 7 in it, so I'd assume that they plan to release it at some point.

Did you say "Nerd"?

Fission Mailed

"How could you not know?! That's... that's practically blasphemous! Say you're sorry! Apologize to the Funyarinpa! Goodness, you are such a rude woman..."
Probit Return
That One Guy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 15:44

Probably....

Keep in mind that ADV Manga is notorious for unfinished manga for example; Tactics,Ray, and Peacemaker Kurogane. Three popular mangas that will mostly likely never get finished. Strangely they always seem to stray away from interviews about this subject....

*BANG!*

In my opinion and also a large number of people can agree with me that they are a unprofessional company in the world of manga. "The customer is always right" seems more like a phrase to them than a how to do buisness motto. I already said it before as politely as I can, they need to get their act together before it is too late or maybe it is?

Back to top Go down

Post by Probit Return on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 15:50

Well, from what I've read from TokyoPop, they seem to do good work, and Del Rey has been doing great with Negima's release (ignoring the travesty of the translations the first three volumes got). So if Gunslinger Girl does get dropped by ADV, at least there are good companies that could rescue it.

Did you say "Nerd"?

Fission Mailed

Probit Return
That One Guy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 17:00

Your right, there are a lot of companies that are willing and more worthy of licensing Gunslinger Girl, but sadly all we can do now is sit around and wait, and than wait again. After that we can wait some more and than while we are waiting after waiting some more, than all we can do is hope for the best.

.....and than wait some more of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 18:18

Still waiting....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 23:07

Tokyopop didn't seem too bad, aside from a wiggy translation here and there, I think that's who did Tramps Like Us.

DelRey does Wallflower, which I haven't read yet, but I trust in Lester's merry band of B*stards.

Funny story about ole Lester... he was, within the writing industry, prettymuch expected to remain bachelor for life due to his grouchy, curmudgeonly nature, and yet managed to attract (and marry) some of the nicest ladies, one of which was a lady by the name of Judy, who ran into him at a convention and "knocked off all his rough edges in about a minute flat" - it's a cute little anecdote made all the more amusing because it is related by none other than Isaac Asimov during the intro to Pebble in the sky.

-F
Spoiler:
Book 6 - WTF?!! He goes from zero loli/fanservice to suddenly intro a character that seems to have no purpose BUT fanservice? auigh!..tell me I'm wrong, somebody, please... lie to me if you have to!

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 23:14

we feel with you man, Yu Aida has joined the ranks of the other fanservice writers as of vol 6 and the intro of Petra...

Photobucket
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 23:32

I feel you too, what really hooked me into Gunslinger Girl was the tone of seriousness that it had. Now with Petra it kind of toned down the seriousness a bit and not in a good way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 15 Feb 2008 - 23:51

Don't get me wrong - everything up to and including the Pinocchio arc was pure genius on Yu's part, and I really gotta hand it to the guy. But after he introduced Fanservice Girl, REMF, Duvalier and his creepy twin assistants, the whole thing just descends into weirdness and banality.

If Yu's listening, I'd like to make this clear to him: intelligent storytelling is what gets us hot, not nubile lolitas or upskirt photography. Each of us is far more than the average Joe Sixpack.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 1:24

Amen to that.

He's got a real genius for storytelling, he doesn't need to stoop to that, it kind of cheapens it to yet-another-gungirl Manga, and you can get *that* anywhere.

But a real emotion-wringer of dark storytelling, that's a rare gem, and one that should be treasured.

I really feel like he just whipped out his cellphone in the art gallery there, if you know what I mean.

-F

Spoiler:
Just some thoughts on finishing the anime and up to book six - I think to feel sorry for Rico would be kind of insulting to her, so I don't... and the "make him want to cooperate" thing had more to do with completely humiliating the guy and his faction to satisfy Jeans vengefulness than getting information... Jean also seems to be developing real affection for Rico even if he denies it by trying to classify it as attachment to a good and useful tool.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 1:45

I don't think he'll ever get over the death of his little sister or his fiancee. I mean can you blame him? His little sister and fiancee were both killed by terriorist. People don't become cold hearted out of no where.

I think that Jean always had some sort of affection for Rico, but was too busy with his vengence to notice it. I mean that guy was truely worry about Rico. You could tell because after he saved Rico he is seen sitting silently on top of the bench wall watching Rico play with the dog. Either that or it brought back memmories of his little sister drowning.

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 1:56

that reminds me. could it really be proven that Enrica drowned? didn't vol. 7 state that the Croce family was killed by a bomb? as for Fremdfirma, the english version of vol 7 won't be out for a while so the scanlated version is right here and available to you Wink .

Photobucket
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 2:08

All I have to say is Jean has the right to want to get revenge. What did you expect him to turn into? A hippie? If my family were killed by terroriost, I not going to sit around holding hands and wearing flower head bands and sing some Beatle song.

Jose is the exact opposite of Jean because he has a kinder heart and finds deep meaning in morals, but I know Jose has a lot hatred and vengence in him too and thats a fact. If he didn't want vengence than why did he join the SWA? because of Jean? Not even close.

Last edited by on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 2:16; edited 5 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 2:10

Come to think of it Pandania and the SWA are more alike than we think. There are people on both sides that join for vengance.

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 2:13

Episode 6 season 1 Gelato
Joze: soon you will make them pay Henrietta...

yup that was definitely Jean taking control of Joze's body for atleast a few seconds

Photobucket
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 2:20

Enrica drowned? Where'd that come from?

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 2:30

Well people think that it could be implied by Jean's deppression everytime he sees the sea in vol 6 or him going "OMG!" when Rico fell in the water. i thought so too, but then when i read vol. 7 it was stated that they were blown-up so i guess more people just need to start reading vol. 7.

Photobucket
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 5:16

Warmest greetings to you fellow gunslinger and lolli lover.... lol. Enjoy this forum as much as all of us do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 6:00

Revolving Chi wrote:Come to think of it Pandania and the SWA are more alike than we think. There are people on both sides that join for vengance.

The difference between the SWA and Padania is that those joining the SWA for revenge have no real idea about the seriously messed-up business they're getting themselves into.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 8:57

Well, posted two more chaps of the fic, although any input, comment, flamage would be nice, not sure about formatting or proper paragraph breaks, suggestions welcome on that front.

As for SWA/Panadia similarity, life is like that, vague, uncertain, never so clean, cut and dry as most fiction, and while I see Jean as vengeful he's not without a point to it, in his mind every one of these folks he takes out is less other peoples families blown up, and that view does have some merit.

I wasn't prepared to like Franca, but I wound up doing so anyway, she believes in what she does with a purity none of the other characters outside the borgs have, and she has amazing courage both physical and mental, even if she is one of the "bad" guys.

Doomknight, I don't care for loli or fanservice as a matter of taste, I'll not flame you for it, if you do, just be aware that it's totally not my cup of tea.

Wouldn't mind putting Franca flat though Very Happy

-F

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 15:35

Fremdfirma wrote:I don't care for loli or fanservice as a matter of taste, just be aware that it's totally not my cup of tea.

You're a man after my own heart, F.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 15:44

ditto. I don't hold much to be sacred, but... well, a child's innocence is sacred, goddammit!
Frem wrote:Wouldn't mind putting Franca flat though
and Ferro, and Priscilla, and Louis' creepy twin assistants... all at the same time...

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sat 16 Feb 2008 - 16:13

Good luck making it last, LoC...

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 17 Feb 2008 - 17:27

I bet Ferro could be really attractive when shes not working. It's most likely that she probably has a hidden side that she doesn't show.

Last edited by on Mon 18 Feb 2008 - 1:18; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sun 17 Feb 2008 - 21:13

We once joked that Ferro secretly hopes for a wild night of passion with the Croce brothers... both at the same time.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 on Wed 20 Feb 2008 - 12:30

Welcome!

(Yeah i am late with saying hello, but "Better late then never" right?)

Have a Dutch Dooby on me and enjoy. i insist, i got more where that came from, after all, i am smack damn in the middle of it all...

Ok i am near the border of germany, but its still holland were i am sitting :p

Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Forum Posts : 1950

Fan of : All the SWA girls, Even the adult ones ^_^

Original Characters : Thomas & Sora Dutch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 20 Feb 2008 - 13:23

Tommygunner, eh ?

You'd probably be amused than that I gave little flower an M1928 with a cut down barrel replaced with a suppressor and ventilated barrel shroud then.

-F

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 on Wed 20 Feb 2008 - 17:01

HUh?
oh my name...

its derived from my real name and favorite weapons.
real first name: Thomas Coenraad.
they call me Tommy for short.

secondly i like the Thomson SMG very much yeah, i allways use it in any WW2 or Vietnam Wargame.

so there.

Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Forum Posts : 1950

Fan of : All the SWA girls, Even the adult ones ^_^

Original Characters : Thomas & Sora Dutch

Back to top Go down