Winter 2014 Anime

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Winter 2014 Anime

Post by Piero on Sun 23 Feb 2014 - 18:49

Kiskaloo, Keiko Nobumoto was staff on Macross Plus, not Macross Frontier.

Also, I'd recommend you give Inari, Konkon Koi Iroha a second chance.† I was sort of unimpressed for a while but now I'm glad I didn't drop it.

Piero

Forum Posts : 2617

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Mon 24 Feb 2014 - 21:56

With its latest episode, The Pilot's Love Song has finally established a firm connection with The Princess and the Pilot.† I'm pretty sure the pilot of that Levamme Empire fighter that saved Kal-el and Airi was supposed to be Charles.† In the novel The Princess and the Pilot was based on Charles had the code name "Black Tailed Gull" on his mission to save Fana/Juana, so I don't think its a coincidence that Kal-el noticed a Sea Gull painted on the side of the fighter that saved him.

Anyway a very strong episode even if I thought that the student observer/gunners fighting heavily armed armed fighter aircraft with bolt action rifles was absurd.

Nobunaga: The Fool also had a very strong episode this week.† It's not enough to completely wash away the weaknesses of the third through fifth episodes, but hopefully its a sing of things to come.

Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 24 Feb 2014 - 22:13

Piero wrote:Anyway a very strong episode even if I thought that the student observer/gunners fighting heavily armed armed fighter aircraft with bolt action rifles was absurd.

Well, you fight with what you have. That being said, it did make the enemy pilots look like idiots in terms of their skill and strategy. They should have cut down the entire†Cadoques High's Aerial Division on the first pass - a pass they should have done from below rather than the one angle the students could return fire from.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10896

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Mon 24 Feb 2014 - 23:04

Rule of Cool, guys...

taerKitty

Forum Posts : 1172

Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Wed 26 Feb 2014 - 13:25

Piero wrote:Kiskaloo...I'd recommend you give Inari, Konkon Koi Iroha a second chance.† I was sort of unimpressed for a while but now I'm glad I didn't drop it.

Just finished episodes 05, 06 and 07 and I continue to find myself not really interested in the characters nor the stories.

Tonari no Seki-kun, on the other hand, is back in the rotation as I like the episodes where Rumi gets overly-interested in what Seki is doing and that was the case for the last three episodes.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz on Wed 26 Feb 2014 - 14:22

Kiskaloo wrote:Well, you fight with what you have. That being said, it did make the enemy pilots look like idiots in terms of their skill and strategy. They should have cut down the entire†Cadoques High's Aerial Division on the first pass - a pass they should have done from below rather than the one angle the students could return fire from.
Prolly when to school the same place these guys went to.

boomer_gonz

Forum Posts : 2561

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 2 Mar 2014 - 14:04

Everywhere Yasumi Umetsu went wrong with Gallilei Donna, he's gone right with†Wizard Barristers: Benmachi Cecil.

I do wish, however, I had started this show once the run was complete because these one week waits between episodes are really annoying. Smile

It kills me Sentai Filmworks won the license for this because their Blu-rays are usually crap and this show is so beautifully animated.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Mon 3 Mar 2014 - 18:50; edited 1 time in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sun 2 Mar 2014 - 18:02

Really? †I'm starting to find this show annoying. †If Momo is†
Spoiler:
the mastermind
then why was she so surprised that Cecil was in danger in the cosplay episode? †Why did she need to†
Spoiler:
deflect the bullet?

With so many series, the ending is the letdown. †So often, they either

1. Make it a conspiracy, usually with Gregorian chanting, or

2. Duke it out in an alternate dimension.

This show is already doing a #1. †Let's hope it doesn't produce a #2.

Spoiler:
Yes, the dual meaning is intended, for you parents out there.

taerKitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Wed 12 Mar 2014 - 13:16

Robot Girls Z - B+

Lots of cute girls + lots of slapstick comedy = win

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sat 22 Mar 2014 - 12:56

I'm not a teacher, so I can't really grade it the same way. †Log Horizon is still my one-and-only must-watch show so far. †It's getting a second season:†http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/03/22-1/log-horizon-anime-season-2-airs-this-fall. †Well deserved, IMPO. ††

I've found that a time crunch really separates the wheat from the chaff. †I watched Wizard Barristers primarily to have something to talk about with Kisk on chat. †Once I had no time to chat, I noticed that my interest in that show plummeted. †

I'll try to find time to finish Magical Warfare because it has an interesting Harry-Potter-esque feel to it, though I don't like the FMP-style "your leader is a kid as well, kid" trope.†

I have an admiration for Pilot's Love Song for pulling off some ballsy moves plotting wise, but the teachers mostly annoy me. †It's an "eh, maybe." †If I see more of Kisk in chat, (or simply more of myself in chat) I may finish it. †But again, it's just so that I have something to talk about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 4 Apr 2014 - 2:27

Finished the last shows so I can now publish my final list for Winter 2014:

Nagi no Asukara - A+

My new benchmark for what makes a great anime. I loved this show from the first episode to the last. Constantly had me amazed and awed. Also had the best OP song and video of the season with "ebb and flow" by Ray:

Gin no Saji / Silver Spoon (Season 2 / Fall Session) - A

The addition of some real drama to the usual humor fare raised an already awesome show even higher. I hope they continue to adapt the manga with new seasons of the anime and I am on the lookout for the live action movie that recently hit the theaters.

Kill la Kill (Season 2) - A-

Hands down one of the most bat-crap crazy anime I have seen. And all the better for it. Like Space Dandy, itís nice to see a team just allowed to go a different direction from the norm.

Buddy Complex - B+

What do you get when you mash New Gundam, Pacific Rim and †The Time Tunnel together?

A pretty entertaining show, IMO. Looking forward to the second season.

Space Dandy - B+

As a project to let Shinichiro Watanabe and Company run wild with their imagination, I think it was very successful and I look forward to Season 2. Overall, I enjoyed every episode, however as with any anthology series, there were some standouts - for me, they would be #4, #5 and, especially, #13*. Funimationís dub was excellent and I believe played a not small role in my enjoyment of the show.

* - †This surprised me when I found out it was written by Dai Sato, who penned two of what I thought were the weaker installments.

World Conquest Plot Zvezda - B+

Really enjoyed this one, especially as the plot unfolded.

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! ~Heart Throb~ - B

Overall, suffered a bit from what happened with K-On!! - the producers identified what the otaku loved about the first show and concentrated on it to the exclusion of most everything else. As with the original, however, the final episode was very solid.

Engaged to the Unidentified - B

When they were not cramming the comedy antics of Benio and Mashiro down my throat, it was a pretty good show. If they had dialed back the comedy from 11 just a bit, it would have been a B+ show.

Noragami - B

I found this to be a quite entertaining show. All of the characters were interesting, the humor was humorous and the drama was dramatic.

The Pilotís Love Song†- B

Overall pretty entertaining, but it was no†Princess and the Pilot. I am guessing they either have a second season in hand or are expecting to get one based on the final episode.†

Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil - B-

Much like the show Galilei Donna, which was also helmed by Yasuomi Umetsu, this show is beautiful animation and cute females burdened with a rather poor story. Honestly, as bad as the ending of Galilei Donna was, I think this one was worse (though overall,†Wizard Barristers†had a stronger plot).

One thing I do take away from both shows is that I wish the Production Committee for Gunslinger Girl ~Il Teatrino~ had gone with either A-1 Pictures or Arms Corporation instead of Artland to handle the animation production, as either would have done the show with production quality far closer to Madhouseís original work. Also had the best ED song and video of the season with "Blue Topaz" by Rui Tanabe:

Witch Craft Works†- B-

I found it better than I originally expected, especially when they concentrated on the drama and didn't try and push the comedy (which resulted in a fair amount of groaner moments). The animation and character work were excellent and it interjected new plot development on a regular enough basis to keep me interested with the show. I will note the final episode was very anti-climatic.

Tonari no Seki-kun (Season One) - B-

At itís best when Rumi Yokoi gets totally sucked in with what Toshinari Seki is doing (Episode 02, especially, along with Episodes 06 and 07).

Pupipō! - C+

Vin Diesel: "Uh...okay."

Wasnít expecting that endingÖ

Did really enjoy Reiko Azumaís character.

SoniAni - Super Sonico The Animation†- C-

Episode 7 was fantastic, Episode 6 was horrific (and not just because it was about zombies on a cruise ship) and the other 10 were generally mediocre. As such, even fantastic fan service couldn't raise the score much.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 4 Apr 2014 - 13:52

The Pilot's Love Song had potential but was ultimately rather disappointing.† So my top picks for this season go to Nobunaga: The Fool and Buddy Complex.† I was worried about the former for a bit since I liked the crazy premise but found some of the early episodes wanting. Fortunately it shaped up well in the second quarter which had some interesting developments.† Its still not without flaws, but its been coming into its own.† Buddy Complex was very Gundam-esque and had a few developments I wasn't too crazy on, but overall it was generally a pretty solid show.

I liked some of the material towards the middle of Inari, Kon Kon, Koi Iroha but didn't like the ending very much as I found it too serious.† Sakura Trick was okay I guess.† Noragami was interesting enough that I picked it back up and finished it late in the season, but I didn't find it all that great either.† I still haven't bothered to finish the last couple episodes of Wizard Barristers.

Piero

Male

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 11 May 2014 - 18:03

Kiskaloo wrote:Nobunagun
Stuck with it through Episode 05, which was longer than I expected. However, with Episode 05 they (re)introduced the rest of the E-GENEs and most of them I found unpalatable.

The other day ANN did their season review of this show and they gave it very high marks. I admit to looking for an excuse to drop the show due to the load I was carrying more than not liking it (I found lead Sio Ogura to be an interesting character) so I decided to start it up again and ended up marathoning the eight episodes straight through. I found it to be quite good in terms of story (especially Jack the Ripper's true identity and the background of the Commander and Saint-Germain) and the characters that I originally found unpalatable improved with more exposure.†

I concur with the "B+" rating ANN gave it and will probably add it to my collection if it is released on Blu-ray.††Good

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum