VdCO

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VdCO

Post by Vett on Mon 3 Feb 2014 - 16:52

While I may or may not take it on board (I suspect it'll end up modified), what's the current state of Fanon regarding the Verifica?

Implemented post-Monty

Two months is considered a fast pass

Consists of video briefing cyborgs on how to interact with the outside world, followed by questions

Target shooting on outdoor range

Hand to hand combat

Obstacle course

Having written all of the above, it's occurred to me that this seems to be an Alfisti invention or at least he's fleshed it out the most. So... have I missed anything?

Vett

Male

Forum Posts : 195

Fan of : Triella, Henrietta

Original Characters : Rebecca/Edward

Comments :

Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: VdCO

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 3 Feb 2014 - 17:32

It is something Alfisti developed and introduced with the Danilo and Raych fratello for his Meanwhile Back in Italy... series of stories.

I've adopted it for Michele and Kara for the future stories I plan to write as they will be placed in his Meanwhile Back in Italy... universe as Raych is Kara's roommate and in that universe, Kara has undertaken and passed the VdCO and I wish to reflect that continuity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10884

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 4 Feb 2014 - 4:20

Yeah, as Kisk noted, the VdOC (Verifica della Competenza Operativa - Verification of Operational Competency - I figure it generally gets shortened to "VdOC" or "Verifica", depending on how much the person speaking likes acronyms) was something I came up with because I wanted to put some sort of tangible, if unwarranted, pressure on Raych and, to a lesser extent, Danilo. Since it made a reasonable amount of sense to have some sort of "pass out" gate for the girls to go through, I added it in.

In terms of inspiration, it borrows from two things we do for construction. The first is an induction, like you would get were you starting work on a mine or big site, which is the video component, and the other a VoC (Verification of Competency), which is a check to make sure someone knows how to use a machine or piece of equipment. It basically involves an approved assessor sitting beside a new operator and making sure they know what does what and won't roll the thing the moment they leave the go-line or weld themselves to a pile. It's a subjective assessment, so it's the assessors opinion of "yes they can/no they can't"... which, though no-one will admit it, means that troublemakers can be kept off some plant or, if you're short manpower, less competent people put on.

As to the VdOC in-universe though (at least, as it appears in my head):

History wise, it was created when the SWA was chasing funding for the second generation cyborg builds, and implemented with the same (so from Petra onwards), and was more an exercise in shutting the bureaucrats and beancounters up than creating an actual test. Basically it was intended to allow the SWA to continue with business as usual (in that the handlers have pretty much free reign regarding how they train their charges), whilst being able to tell those holding the purse strings that they did indeed have some sort of testing and quality assurance in place. As a result, for a reasonably switched on cyborg, it should be almost impossible to fail and, because of that, people (staff and handlers) view it with differing levels of seriousness. There will be those who think it should be a lot harder, and an actual test to be taken seriously with major consequences, while others will consider it an inconvenience or just part of making sure they continue to get paid... and I'm sure many other views I've not thought of.

That said, if a girl does fail it, the SWA is going to start asking questions. I would also think that all the cyborgs, at least those working toward it, take it very seriously indeed... no matter what their peers say. Kind of like a highschool exit exam, which is incredibly stressful at the time, but doesn't matter squat in terms of getting a job or into uni a year down the track.

As an aside, Monty (second of the Gen02s in the bounds of my own stories) never did her VdOC because the SWA was in a hurry to get her and Jethro operational and deployed into the field. Since their role was unusual and involved some, shall we say, non-traditional cyborg learning, it was easy enough to waive the test and make up some excuse about it not being relevant enough to divert the pair from other, more pertinent, training. Which was partly true, but mostly just a work-around.

The assessment itself is only performed when the handler believes his cyborg ready (another safeguard), and is carried out by a member of the SRT (as a viable "third party"). Like the VoC it's based on, it's a subjective, pass/fail assessment, and the handler is not allowed to communicate with his cyborg during the assessment. Basically it's up to the assessor to decide if, based on what he sees, the girl is competent enough to be allowed out the gate safely or not.

The first component undertaken is a short informational slideshow and questionnaire, which the cyborg is allowed to fill out while the slideshow is running. That's the only "marked" component. As to what's in the presentation, like Vett noted, I imagine it as being a very basic "how to behave outside these walls": what you may and may not talk about to people; what to do if you are separated from your handler; how to contact the agency; how to ask for help from the public; things not to do so you don't blow your cover; make sure you retrieve any body parts you loose, they're expensive, etc.

The second component is indeed undertaken on the outside range, which is cleared for the task. It's pistol only against a set of six steel targets that can show a "shoot" or "don't shoot" face, and are controlled by the assessor. It's pretty basic: the cyborg is to shoot the "shoot" side and not the "don't shoot" side, with the combinations and sequences getting faster and more complex until she misses or shoots a target she should not have.

Shooting is a subjective assessment, and part of that pertains to whether the assessor thinks the cyborg got far enough in the sequence that she's a reasonable chance of hitting what she intends to. However, he is more meant to be looking at whether she's operating her firearm competently and safely, particularly under stress: so is her stance and technique good? How is her trigger discipline? Does she seem competent in that firearm's battery of arms? Is she liable to accidentally shoot herself or someone else in the face? and so on.

The third and fourth components are undertaken one after the other at the obstacle course, with no break in between.

First is hand-to hand combat, again subjective and again really basic. It has to be basic as, so far as I can tell, not all the girls seem to get advanced hand-to-hand training... or even any, but can they throw and block a punch? Kick without falling over and the like. Frankly, it's function is more to wear them out for the final component: the obstacle course.

Again, a subjective assessment. A single lap around the course, un-timed, and is really just intended to make sure she has control over her body, even when tired, and isn't liable to trip over he own feet or accidentally punch a wall in two.

That's pretty much how I picture it anyway. Yes, it sounds easy: it's supposed to be. That said, I imagine the thought of it is quite stressful for any girl (or handler) coming up to undertaking it, though for different reasons. For the girls it's their first big assessment, and a measure of if they are qualified to join their peers, and how they measure up against them, etc (however the girl's personality wants to spin it). For the handler, more a "what if she doesn't pass?" Because it is easy, and if a girl can't pass it then there is something seriously wrong, and the SWA will take it as sign that it needs to stop being hands-off and start being hands-on.

Notably, if a girl were to fail, she cannot re-assess for two weeks... to make sure they're not wasting anyone's time should a handler panic and try to reassess too early.

Timing wise: I imagine somewhere between two and three months after activation would be the norm for undertaking it (two months on the quicker end and three being a bit slower, but nothing to worry about), time for the girl to have become comfortable with her new body and learned a few things. I know when I was writing for it, the "month and a bit" timeframe I had set (dictated by the timeframe to Raych's first mission mentioned in AtAC) started feeling very slim indeed. On that note: a month and a half would be considered very fast, and after three months of no assessment, questions may start to be raised.

Anyway, that's roughly as I envisaged it for my own writing... I think I got most of the pertinent stuff. For a blow by blow run through of the whole thing, Raych undertakes her Verifica in CHAPTER 08 of Meanwhile in Italy.

Last edited by Alfisti on Sat 17 May 2014 - 21:58; edited 1 time in total

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5716

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Tue 4 Feb 2014 - 12:21

I believe Il Direttore had something similar to the Verifica in The Department of Work and Labor.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 901

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : Call me PolosElite23...If that's too long for you try one of the following:
Pez PE23
PE Polo
Polos

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 5 Feb 2014 - 22:47

Ah, it's worth noting that I treated the "Verifica" less as a subjective safeguard and more as an evaluation of a cyborg's skills in comparison to the baseline required for basic combat operations. So there's a score card and everything, and I imagined there'd be no small amount of inter-cyborg competition to be the "best" at something. Gen 2s take a supplementary exam for their specialization, provided by members of the Science Group (Caterina) or the SRT/GIS (Marisa and Others)

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 2:40

@Il Direttore wrote:...there's a score card and everything, and I imagined there'd be no small amount of inter-cyborg competition to be the "best" at something.
Something that came up in chat: cyborg-to-cyborg competition aside, I wonder what/if the handlers have cyborg-related pissing contests over?

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5716

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Vett on Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 8:20

I imagine that generally it'd be much like a school staffroom: lots of elephant boxing i.e. competitive anecdotes.

Jose: "You're not going to believe what Henrietta did today: she told our principle that he was lucky that he'd be a difficult kill for a sniper - because he had no brain to shoot."

Hilshire: "Do you remember when she complained to Petris that Jose had too much time off?"

Elio: "At least you can let your cyborg talk - letting mine near VIPs is like playing Russian roulette with a glock."

More generally, I'd expect that the handlers don't have cyborg related pissing contests, but use them as ammunition e.g. Hilshire has no sense of humour because he's german and Triella doing activity just proves it. Henrietta royally screwed up her latest kill-house run and it proves Jose can't train.

Basically, I'd expect them to be the same things the cyborgs have them: just with a veneer of adult sophistication and that spending free-time with your cyborg is something to be laughed at because you couldn't escape rather than something to be envied.

Vett

Male

Forum Posts : 195

Fan of : Triella, Henrietta

Original Characters : Rebecca/Edward

Comments :

Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down