What's for Dinner?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's for Dinner?

Post by PolosElite23 on Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 16:36

So the more I've been having to cook for myself, the more I enjoy it. I also like to dabble and play around with ingredients and stuff (much to the irritation of my mother). So I was wondering if there were dishes you'd all like to share with everyone. Recipes and dishes you've had.

The fact is that I'm not all that great of a chef sweat(yet?). But I like to try new things. I'm sure others would like to try some ideas too! So if you've got a recipe you'd like to share with everyone, post it here!

If I find an interesting Recipe, I'll share it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictusby William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 907

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : Call me PolosElite23...If that's too long for you try one of the following:
Pez PE23
PE Polo
Polos

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: What's for Dinner?

Post by Il Direttore on Thu 27 Mar 2014 - 21:13

Something easy to do is Canned Sardines and Fresh Tomatoes over Pasta. Good quality canned sardines are not horribly stanky, as is assumed by most people. That being said, tomatoes do a fantastic job of cutting the stank. Sardines smoked or packed in oil also tend to be less pungent.

Preparation is simple.

Obtain about one pound's worth of tomatoes. You should be able to figure this out by sort of guestimating by feel. The primary concern here is water content, so if you're a bit short just add more water during cooking to keep from burning. You'll want to cut up your tomatoes into about 1/2 inch thick bits, preferably no more than an inch wide and misc. inches long.

You'll need exactly one can of sardines. Add more if you feel like it.

Optional ingredients: Garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, thyme, black pepper, salt, sugar. All of these may be added according to taste, or excluded all together.

Start by boiling your pasta. Most packages will go for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Heat olive oil in a pan on high heat. Once it JUST starts smoking, open the can of sardines and carefully place them into the oil. Careful of splatter! This is a good time to toss in chopped garlic, if you want, so that a nice toasty garlic flavor gets incorporated. Prod the sardines apart with a spoon and don't worry if they mash.

After the sardines have cooked for a bit and are starting to get stuck to the pan, toss in your tomatoes. Continue cooking on high, moving the tomatoes and sardines about with the spoon. Your tomatoes should cook down into a watery mush, with the sardines and oil incorporated in.

Continue cooking until it reduces into a thick, saucy mush. Add whatever other spices you want to add here, cook for about 30 more seconds, then turn the heat off. Plate your pasta, then pour the sauce over the pasta. Careful, if you've accidentally made a lot, you may have WAY too much sauce for your pasta! Serve immediately.

You can make huge amounts of this sauce easily by getting a pot and putting in more of the above ingredients. 1 can of sardines to about 1 lbs of tomatoes is a good ratio. Store whatever you have in whatever misc. tupperware or storage box you have. I prefer glass pyrex stuff with the clamp-on rubber-sealed lids, as I find tomato sauce stains plastic hardcore.

Had this for lunch over RICE, actually, with 4 tablespoons of sugar instead of salt. REALLY yummy.

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me? -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 14:26

Least Healthy Lunch:

1/2 pound of ground pork
1 cup of cooked white rice
2 eggs
sugar
vinegar
salt and pepper

First, beat eggs and combine into slurry with rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Season ground pork with salt and pepper to taste. Optional: Add garlic powder to taste. Brown ground pork, then deglaze pan with vinegar. Add sugar to taste. Apply egg-rice mixture, and allow to brown.

Totally good for that cholesterol.

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me? -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum