What's In the Bag?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's In the Bag?

Post by Thescarredman on Thu 20 Nov 2014 - 20:37

As a young man, I often poked fun at girls hauling huge purses around. I’d ask, “Do you really need all that stuff?” Guys, of course, made do with whatever their pockets could hold, and wouldn’t have it any other way. Even an armload of school books wasn’t excuse enough to sling a bag over your shoulder.

Now, ‘man bags’ are everywhere. Where I work, every guy under thirty brings a backpack or shoulder bag to work, holding God knows what; I’ve tent camped for a weekend with smaller packs. The older men are just as bad, slinging soft-sided coolers over their shoulders large enough to fit a lawnmower engine into.

But, truth to tell, I carry a bag from home to work too, though it’s an expandable briefcase. This is what it contains, the essentials I need to get through the day or would feel uncomfortable leaving at home:

• Laptop, cooling pad, charger, mouse

• 3 flash drives: an 8GB business stick, an ancient 512KB one containing every fic I’ve ever written, and a 2GB backup that doesn’t get updated nearly often enough

• 2 spiral notebooks: one for work notes, one for story notes, and an assortment of pens and mechanical pencils

• Various work-related paperwork

• Pocket planner

• A book of company regs and a union contract booklet (because there’s nothing like a quick quote from the rule book for pissing somebody off)

• Safety glasses

• Company ID

• A flashlight and monocular (the ceilings are thirty feet high where I work, and a lot of our work in process is hanging overhead or staged to raised mezzanines throughout the building. Being able to spot trouble without having to climb stairs and ladders is how I get through the day)

• Ultrasonic transducer: just a little electronic gadget the size of an eraser, with a long thin wire that jacks into a company-supplied portable ultrasound generator. Used to check weld integrity.

• A reusable shopping bag – not sure why that’s in there.

That’s it. No puzzle book, no deck of cards, no snacks. The thing still weighs fifteen pounds.

So, what’s in your bag?
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1814

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Re: What's In the Bag?

Post by Alfisti on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 4:50

@Thescarredman wrote:

• Ultrasonic transducer: just a little electronic gadget the size of an eraser, with a long thin wire that jacks into a company-supplied portable ultrasound generator. Used to check weld integrity.

So, what’s in your bag?
Weld inspector by trade? Or just general testing?

To answer the thread though...

Well, the bag in question is a 15" Midi bag, in green canvas, from All The King's Men (based out of Melbourne), though I've also recently (as in: in the last 18 months or so), bought a "Philanthropist" Briefcase from Apolis for use in the cooler months, as slinging a shoulder bag across a coat looks odd.

As to what's inside:

• Sketchbooks (both bags are water resistant, the ATKM one somewhat more so than the Apolis, but wrapped in a plastic bag for extra protection) and drawing supplies. The latter take up a small pencil case, but basically boil down to: 0.1, 0.3 sketching pens (multiples of each); 0.6 bullet-nose pen (for bulking up outlines); Cool Grey 1, 3, and 6 Tria markers; white paint pen and white gel pen.
  • Sunglasses, because weather (either in extra-pair format, or the clip-ons for my regular glasses... depending on what I'm doing. I don't like the clip-ons for driving). Always have sunglasses, particularly when travelling: instant glamour the moment you hit the ground.
  • Small umbrella... because weather. It's emergency use only, and if it actually looks like rain I'll take something larger, but beats nothing and folds down it its own had, water-sealed case so I can leave it in there without worry of damaging it, or it leaking anywhere if I need to put it away wet.
  • 2 no. USB drives, an old 8Gb (it has, so far, outlasted everything I've tried to replace it with) and newer 16Gb. These have exactly the same content and are backups of all my writing, WiP drawings, and resources I might be using for either at the time. When I'm away the 8Gb becomes my working drive and the 16Gb my backup.
  • Work phone and building pass.
  • Coin purse (because I hate carrying loose change).

This all varies depending on what I'm doing, sometimes there might be safety glasses and gloves, or a site pass, etc. but those are the staples.

Last edited by Alfisti on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 22:31; edited 1 time in total

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5730

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 6:08

My bag is a standard over the shoulder briefcase/ laptop bag.

15in wide screen laptop
charger
mouse
1 TB hard drive- all the media I've brought to Mongolia and a backup for the laptop
128 GB flash drive- for transferring material to the school computer
brookstone portable projector
HDMI cable
laser pointer
Clicker
40 student tests 7 pages
14 student quizzes 2 pages
large stack of student work labs, homework, activities
Biology 12 book
red pens- can never have enough of these
black pens
highlighter
AAA batteries
Mask- the air now smells like burning coal or charcoal
canadian lumberjack hat
gloves
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 11:54

I don't tend to bring a bag around everywhere, only to school, on trips or when I'll be at x location for x period of time.

That being said, I do have a general packing list for my little laptop bag (Its in terrible shape...I really need to replace it)

-2 Yellow Legal Pads: I prefer to use yellow Legal pads for lots of my writers notes and story plotting
-1 HP Pavilion 15z [blurts specs] w/ power pack
-1-2 good books/manga
-1 Drawing Pad, large.
-Pencil case: Contains various drawing and writing supplies.
-1 Talon Gaming Mouse (I love it!)
-1 Pocket Bible
-Snacks
-Drink mixes
-1 Tin Water-bottle
-Phone charger w/ cable

My poor laptop bag has been beaten up so much...I need to get a new one...

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 907

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : Call me PolosElite23...If that's too long for you try one of the following:
Pez PE23
PE Polo
Polos

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 17:20

My poor laptop bag has been beaten up so much...I need to get a new one...

Mine is fifteen years old, with a torn pocket and a frayed handle, thoroughly disreputable-looking. I've been looking for a replacement for over a year, but I simply can't find one I like as well. We've been through a lot together.
Thescarredman

Male

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 17:21

@Thescarredman wrote:My poor laptop bag has been beaten up so much...I need to get a new one...

Mine is fifteen years old, with a torn pocket and a frayed handle, thoroughly disreputable-looking. I've been looking for a replacement for over a year, but I simply can't find one I like as well. We've been through a lot together.
Well...*moth flies out of wallet* A shortage of loose change is my problem...

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 907

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : Call me PolosElite23...If that's too long for you try one of the following:
Pez PE23
PE Polo
Polos

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 18:47

I use a Ralph Lauren Polo leather messenger bag with my Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display, iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus. I also have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB USB3 thumb drive.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10887

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 20:52

@Alfisti wrote:
@Thescarredman wrote:

So, what’s in your bag?
Weld inspector by trade? Or just general testing?

Just one of the hats I wear; I'll fill in occasionally when one of the weld inspectors is off or we have a sudden need for another.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 22:06

My bag is a red Jansport Odyssey Backapck

On the left shoulder strap, I've attached a Nite-Ize clip case

It holds an UltraFire WF502B tactical flashlight and a Gerber Multi-Plier 600

I've wrapped the top handle in 40' of 550# cord, both to make it wider and easier to carry, and for emergency pulling (and I've used it at least twice so far.)  

From smallest to largest pockets:

The 'music player' pouch carries a spare battery and battery charager for my cell phone, earplugs and a spare pair of earbuds.

The outermost 'slash pocket' contains a pair of YakTrax slip-on cleats and a 500GB USB 3.0 drive that was originally in my work laptop.

The next pocket contains an assortment of pens, pencils, permanent markers, and a first-aid kit, complete with rescue shears.  It also has a pair of tablet stands .

These go to the pair of ASUS MB168B+ 15.6" 1080P USB 3.0 portable monitors in the main section of the monitor, which get connected to my work-issued Lenovo W530 laptop .  I replaced the hard disk in it with a 240GB SSD, and ugraded the RAM to 32GB.  Its display and the two MB168B+ displays are almost exactly the same size, so when I hook them up, I have 3 1920 x 1080 monitors to work with, all powered by this beast.

I also carry a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 .  

Not always, but right now the two side mesh pockets have a Camelbak bottle and a pair of Bluetooth wireless headphones .

Oh, and I carry a folded shopping bag from Trader Joe's as well.  You never know when you will find some good stuff doomed to the PC recycling heap while wandering these halls.

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Forum Posts : 1171

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Sat 22 Nov 2014 - 0:43

I carry a backpack every day, everywhere. All I can fit in my bike is insurance papers, so a backpack is a must.

-Laptop/charger/drawing tablet (sometimes)
-Spare gloves (in the off chance I pick up a pretty girl, or my friends car breaks down Holier-than-thou)
-8 gig flash drive loaded with PC diagnostic tools
-Mechanical pencils
-Sketchbook (sometimes)
-Keys
-Wallet
-Phone
-Water bottle
-A hoodie

When I carry my 17" laptop, it's heavy. But I have trade-offs; I have to choose, laptop or sketchbook, hoodie or laptop, water or laptop etc. I dislike having a hulking mass for a backpack.

"life is a joke... the punchline is complicated."
TeaTimeNinja

Male

Forum Posts : 470

Fan of : Rico

Original Characters : Elly/Pete

Comments : Advised by Alfisti to check out the forum... so here I am!

Registration date : 2014-07-30
Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT on Sat 22 Nov 2014 - 1:17

My backpack is an old Targus laptop backpack that I owned and used every day since my freshman year of college (2000). As you'll see below, I don't carry as much cool stuff as you guys. Sometimes I use it to actually carry my laptop as well, but since I had my desktop in the lab office typically didn't need to lug that thing around. Anyway, here's what's in there now, which pretty much is the same as what I'd have with me most of the time:

- Binder with the introduction to my thesis and drafts of all my publications so far.
- Folders containing the following:
  - RNA stock preparations
  - Some protocols for preparing various other laboratory stocks
  - Notes on nucleic acid footprinting using capillary electrophoresis
  - Notes on small angle X-ray scattering
  - Printouts of my published papers
  - The script to my dissertation defense presentation (which I need to update soon)
- Writing pad for various stuff
- Notebook for lab group meetings
- Moleskine for writing down notes
- Bag containing multiple pens, mechanical pencils, highlighters, sharpies, etc.
- Graphing calculator
- One of my 1 TB backup hard disks in external case, power cable, and USB cable
- Two 8GB USB flash drive, one of which contains all my writings for work and pleasure. The other generally is empty but is used for various file transfers.
- Portable umbrella (because I've been screwed over way too many times)

The perfect might be the enemy of the good. Then again, so is the mediocre.
PSVT

Male

Forum Posts : 488

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : Giancarlo Rossi and his cyborgs Valentina R. and Eleonora R.; James Bernard and his cyborg Rachelle

Comments : Working on an actual story now, so please be patient... ^_^;

Registration date : 2014-05-27
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Sat 22 Nov 2014 - 19:29

Wow. What a great response, and what a treasure trove of clues about the lives and personalities of my penpals.

Kitty, the utility of most of the stuff in your pack is obvious. But what's up with the slip-on cleats?

TeaTime, sounds like a great pack for a geek on the go. Eight gig worth of diagnostic tools, really? Bet it's been a long time since some a-hole had any luck infecting your system. Also, it's good that you're following your mentor's (Alfisti's) recommendation, and keeping drawing tools near at hand wherever you go.

PSVT, 'cool' is in the eye of the beholder. Your description of the contents of those folders is awe-inspiring. Wish I still had a job that required the use of my intellect. Also, your loyalty to your old Targus bag is kind of heartwarming.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Sat 22 Nov 2014 - 19:48

They're just in case of snow.

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Forum Posts : 1171

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja on Sat 22 Nov 2014 - 20:12

The next thread should be "Whats in your car/boot?". I can imagine the list looking like this for a lot of people:

-Empty plastic water bottle
-McDonads trash
-Pair of shoes I haven't worn in 3 years
-Spare tire, but no jack
-$13.55 in pennies, nickles and dimes
-Unknown automotive-related fluid of the blue variety
-One spoon

"life is a joke... the punchline is complicated."
TeaTimeNinja

Male

Forum Posts : 470

Fan of : Rico

Original Characters : Elly/Pete

Comments : Advised by Alfisti to check out the forum... so here I am!

Registration date : 2014-07-30
Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Sat 11 Apr 2015 - 21:29

Whats in the scottie vest

Electronics
  iPad
  iPad charger
  Camera
  USA cellphone
  Mongolian cell phone
  External cell phone battery
  External iPad battery
  Head phones

Money
      20usd
      40,000 sk won
      31,000 tugriks
      All the cards

Documents
      Passport
      Id's
      Tickets
      Pen
        Map of Seoul

Glasses
Sunglasses

Rain jacket
Water bottle
Granola bars
Hat
Timex watch
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 on Sun 12 Apr 2015 - 0:49

I generally carry one of two bags, usually with contents transferred between them.

The bigger of the two is a Jansport school bag that I believe I have had since high school, if not for longer than that. The things I can generally count on it to include are:

Main pocket
-Wegmans ballcap
-Min. 1 Wegmans collared shirt for backup purposes (Turquoise, Black, or Green)
-Tupperware-style container with Lunch/Dinner meal selection
-Pump bottle Eucerin Smoothing Repair lotion

Secondary pocket
-Most recent issue of Automobile Magazine
-Plastic bag containing Neosporin, medical tape, gauze pads

Small outer pocket
-Toothpaste
-Toothbrush
-Vitamin C tablets
-Cut-resistant glove
-iPhone 30-pin charger+ cable
-Earphones
-Current antibiotic prescription

Outermost pocket
-Plastic bags

My other bag functions as a 'man bag', having begun life as a Swedish Military surplus gas mask bag (with full kit included). It has a torn main strap that has been mended by knotting it in one of the clasp loops. I can depend on it to carry:

-Eucerin lotion (as above)
-Bottled water
-Plastic bag containing Neosporin, gauze pads, medical tape (as above)

As for my pockets, I never leave home without:

-Keys
-Wallet
-iPhone 3GS
-Leatherman Wingman multitool

I aim to misbehave.

MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum