Winter 2015 Anime Season

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Winter 2015 Anime Season

Post by Awinnell on Fri 13 Mar 2015 - 13:25

@Kiskaloo wrote:In Episode 9 of Kantai Collection, Yūdachi gets updated and not only does she become bigger and hotter, she gets a really cool new outfit, moving her to the #3 position in the “My Favorite Fleet Girl” rankings behind Kongō (because - silly) and her sister Kirishima (because - glasses).

With the next episode, it’s Fubuki’s turn, and best I can tell, she looks and dresses exactly the same and they just hang a lot more stuff off her. I find her an average character at the moment and was hoping that the refit might address that.

Does anyone know if she is a Fleet Girl in the card game, or was she created solely for the anime? I could see them not changing her because she is the otaku darling, but based on artwork and cosplay, I have to believe that honor goes to Shimakaze. So I would think changing her physically to reflect her refit would not have caused any problems. *shrug*

she is in the game,

If the game follows the actual upgrades that were carried out to each class of ship during the war Fubuki changes very little, she gains extra armour and a lowered superstructure she also gets a AAA upgrade and Radar
Spoiler:
Yudachi's sail is quite literally a death flag, her engines were disabled, her captain ordered her crew to make a sail from their hammocks to keep her in the battle by any means, she continued to fight, this angered the US forces she faced who thought her sail was meant to be a white flag of surrender, her crew abandoned ship and she was left to drift until she was sunk by gunfire east of Savo island

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Forum Posts : 2131

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 19 Mar 2015 - 18:12

Your Lie in April - Final Episode

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Fri 20 Mar 2015 - 8:09; edited 2 times in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10883

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 20 Mar 2015 - 8:07

So did Kancolle suddenly get really meta with Episode 11?

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Fri 20 Mar 2015 - 9:08

I dunno but it finally introduced a couple of things that might be interesting but its a little to little to late.  Personally I was hoping Kancolle would have had more fights, guns, explosions and the like.  The allusions to WW2 were ok, but they were a little to much in my case.  My other complaint is Fubiku getting the idiot ball on occasion.

crazyidiot78

Forum Posts : 1534

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 20 Mar 2015 - 10:54

@crazyidiot78 wrote:I dunno but it finally introduced a couple of things that might be interesting but its a little to little to late.  Personally I was hoping Kancolle would have had more fights, guns, explosions and the like.  The allusions to WW2 were ok, but they were a little to much in my case.  My other complaint is Fubiku getting the idiot ball on occasion.

Yeah, it's pretty much just cute girls being adorable. Which is okay in and of itself, but it's no Strike Witches.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Fri 20 Mar 2015 - 11:39

Kancolle is basically WWII ,the Abyssals are the US and Allied forces, so all the cute girls are going to die or be taken prisoner, in fact the only battleship to survive the war was Nagato (the secretary ship) and she was used as a nuclear bomb test target !

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 20 Mar 2015 - 14:32

@Awinnell wrote:Kancolle is basically WWII ,the Abyssals are the US and Allied forces, so all the cute girls are going to die or be taken prisoner, in fact the only battleship to survive the war was Nagato (the secretary ship) and she was used as a nuclear bomb test target !

Yeah I figured that much since the current operation - MI - is clearly based on the Battle of Midway Island.

The "meta" part to me was that when Akagi-chan was having her dream about being scuttled by one of the Fleet Girl destroyers, she saw an image of the actual aircraft carrier Akagi being scuttled by torpedo, which is what happened at Midway.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Fri 20 Mar 2015 - 16:56

Tactically, the Akagi's fleet command sucked !

Left the only decent AA capable ship behind, That was the main reason for Fubuki's upgrades, Radar, more AAA 

used all the aircraft of 4 carriers to attack keeping none for defence, you would think with all the prophetic dreams she was having that might have popped up as a bad idea !

carried out the attack without waiting for reinforcements, though really the Yamato would have been of little use in an aircraft based battle

Mind you I think they may fudge the real world facts a bit for the anime and some sort of last minute rescue will occur

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 20 Mar 2015 - 18:19

The above is my favorite scene in the movie Contact. Jodie Foster's character is so emotionally overwhelmed by the majesty and beauty of what she is witnessing that she cannot stand against it.

At it’s best, this is the effect Your Lie in April had on me. My feelings on this show are intensely personal and it is therefore very difficult for me to give a constructive, reasoned view of it. I just know that while I’ll never watch it again, I will happily pay whatever Aniplex of America wants for the blu-rays (I expect it to be between $150-300 based on their other releases).

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Thu 26 Mar 2015 - 4:40

Finally, Kancolle did the episode I have been waiting for.  My only wish was for more punching and kicking.  Oh and Ikazuchi using a boat anchor on some ones face.  Oh and the englsih subs would have been nice.
crazyidiot78

Male

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 26 Mar 2015 - 8:59

Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! - A

Me watching the final episode:

Absolutely laugh-out loud hilarious from beginning to end. I'm bummed there will not be another episode next week. A definite buy and I intend to loan the discs out far and wide to hook more people.

KanColle - B

Overall, entertaining enough to have stayed with. As “Girls as Weapons” shows go, it was not to the level of Strike Witches. but a darn site better than Upotte!!.

Spoiler:

And since the girls were victorious at Midway Island and all made it home, I shall stick around for the sequel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 27 Mar 2015 - 1:12

Akatsuki no Yona:

My biggest complaint with this series is that there's plenty of source material to adapt, and no second season announcement. NO

This is a really good series.  The studio obviously put a lot of effort into it, and it shows.  Sure, it's a bit slow, especially early on, but I'm glad it took the time to develop its characters properly.  Yona's a good heroine, and the characters she gathers around her are distinct and fun to see interact with each other.  I also appreciated how the series avoided being strictly black and white -sure, there are some characters who are straight up evil, but there are also shades of grey, especially with main antagonist Su-won and the hazy backstory involving Yona's father.

Here's to hoping the boost in manga sales (and the disc sales when they finally come out -who thought not releasing discs until two months after the series finished was a good idea?) will lead to Studio Pierrot doing a second season!

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 27 Mar 2015 - 9:29

Saekano ~How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend!~ B

I should not have liked this show at all. I found the male protagonist, Tomoya Aki, to be an arse. And the female protagonist, Megumi Kato, is indeed boring and one-dimensional…and I am not sure she is even his girlfriend at the end. And the show just drips with tropes and, in the final push, drips with in-your-face (literally) fan service.

And yet at the end of each episode I was “yeah, I’m ready for the next one” and I will probably end up dropping three figures on the Blu-ray since Aniplex of America is licensing it. I put this down to the creative team of writer Fumiaki Maruto and director Kanta Kamei.

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 27 Mar 2015 - 15:46

Shirobako:

And that's a wrap.

I finally got to see the last episode if this series, which was the third episode of the series to see it's subtitled release on Crunchyroll delayed due to production issues.

If there is one show that can surpass Akatsuki no Yona as both best of the season and best carryover from last year, it's this anime about making anime.  It's both informative and dramatic, and doesn't take itself so seriously that it can't have fun.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Fri 27 Mar 2015 - 19:11

OK so I now got to watch episode 12 of Kancolle with English subtitles, and I've noticed some interesting things.  Things that could be seen as a little disturbing given recent geopolitical events.  Fair warning this might be brought on by lack of sleep from Mongolian daylight savings time.

Just to be clear I have not played the browser game, but lets be clear the anime is clearly based on WW2.  Now early on it's a bit looser with the references, or at least I knew less about what they were referencing.  It then moves on to a loose rendition of the battle of the coral sea and a Doolittle raid everyone could see coming a mile away.  Still this wasn't that much of a big deal to me.  I mean so what there are all kinds of semi historically based shows made all the time.  Now we get to the finale and its clearly made out to be midway, that anyone with a passing knowledge of WW2 could figure out.

This is where things start to get a little weird with references to fate being made by Akagi.  Now initially I took this to be some form of pretty bad foreshadowing since the carrier akagi along with several others is sunk at the real life battle of Midway.  The final battle happens, the ship girl end up winning, but towards the end Akagi mentions changing a fate that wasn't supposed to change.  IE actually winning at midway and not being blown up, and winning WW2

Now that got me thinking, a little and please bear with me.  It seems like the writers of Kancolle are trying to rewrite their own version of WW2, with the ship girls (japan) fairing way better than they did in RL.  Yes I know American books and movies have done that to (final countdown) but it takes on a new light given recent moves by the far right of Japanese politics.  I know that the other Asian countries never felt that Japan ever bent over and apologized enough.  However in recent years the denials and double talk about the war seems to have gotten worse.  (Japan pressuring an american text book publisher to change some parts for example)  Plus now there is talk about Japan changing their constitution to allow for more than just a defense force.  When those aspects are taken into account certain aspects of Kancolle take on a more Jingoistic light.

I mean really, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the abysmal fleets are supposed to be the Americans.  In closing I really don't think that the far right would have anything to do with an otaku pandering anime like Kancolle, and a lot of this is probably just conjecture and coincidence.  However it does make you think about it.  Well at least me anyway.  FYI- I'll prob watch season two for the explosions...... CI wants big boom..... CI wants big boom........
crazyidiot78

Male

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 27 Mar 2015 - 19:57

On the flip side, if a fair number of the girls were sunk during Operation MI, you wouldn't have much a sequel and the show overall would probably not be very entertaining to the Japanese audience knowing almost everyone of them will sink. Smile

IMO, the Kancolle anime takes place in an alternate / parallel universe so the "fate" Akagi witnessed was our reality where real ships were employed against each other. In their parallel / alternate universe, the girls changed fate - and history - by effectively defeating the US carrier force at Midway.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Fri 27 Mar 2015 - 20:07

I will give you all that and I wasn't calling for the girls to all be sunk.  I was just making the observation.  I also like your idea better and it works given how much we are not told about the world Kancolle takes place in.

Now going with your alternate reality bit, what if the ship girls are the souls of the ships from our universe being reborn into the Kancolle universe.  It would explain why the admiral is never around since he knows that the girls know how to fight and he is just moral support.
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Sun 29 Mar 2015 - 12:36

Rumour has it that the Abyssals are the resurrected souls of the girls once they have been sunk 

in the game there are also Kriegsmarine ships, Bismarck being one such ship, so I think we can easily assume that real world historical events can mostly be ignored in the outcome of this series,

a lot of the girls speech patterns and sayings are however based on the events that the ships they represent experienced,

Kongou speaks in English sometimes because she was built in the UK, one of the destroyers randomly speak Russian as that ship was handed over as war reparations

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Sun 29 Mar 2015 - 14:28

I've now seen the finales for Aldnoah Zero and Junketsu no Maria.

I've got mixed feelings on the ending for Aldnoah Zero. At the moment, I'm not entirely sure quite what to make of it. Though I do agree with one viewer who noted that the actions of Slaine and his subordinates in the finale were very Japanese.

As for Junketsu no Maria, it unfortunately seems to have jumped the shark in its last few episodes. sweat

So yeah, I guess Shirobako and Akatsuki no Yona were my favorites for this season.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 31 Mar 2015 - 6:58

Gourmet Girl Graffiti - B-

In the end, a rather one-dimensional show about attractive middle-school girls eating richly-animated food in a sensual way. I did find their use of patterns for the girl's outfits pretty cool and I did think the OP animation was really cute:

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Tue 31 Mar 2015 - 7:08

@Kiskaloo wrote:Gourmet Girl Graffiti - B-

In the end, a rather one-dimensional show about attractive middle-school girls eating richly-animated food in a sensual way. I did find their use of patterns for the girl's outfits pretty cool and I did think the OP animation was really cute:

I will give you that the opening is cute, but I found the high pitched voice to be a little irritating by the end of it.  Also it made me think of Alice in Wonderland and FCLC
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 31 Mar 2015 - 7:33

@Piero wrote:Shirobako:

And that's a wrap.

I finally got to see the last episode if this series, which was the third episode of the series to see it's subtitled release on Crunchyroll delayed due to production issues.

If there is one show that can surpass Akatsuki no Yona as both best of the season and best carryover from last year, it's this anime about making anime.  It's both informative and dramatic, and doesn't take itself so seriously that it can't have fun.
Wound up binging this one, and I'm glad I did. The characters are great and well portrayed, quirky but not so quirky as to be annoying. It still feels like they were aiming for more toned-down/realistic takes on the personalities.... and, if you've worked in a professional industry at one point or another, may of them will be recognisable, which is to say I occasionally wanted to reach into the screen and throttle them.

On a similar note, there were a few places there, especially when dealing with clients/other stakeholders that had me yelling at the screen "who the f*** wrote your contract... or at least look at your contract before caving!" I don't know, maybe that's just how contracts in the industry/Japan work but, either way, even coming from a different industry the situations and events were relateable enough to draw me in.

Also, and I don't know if it was intentional or not, but working Production Desk looked like a heap of fun.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5716

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Tue 31 Mar 2015 - 23:15

@Alfisti wrote:Wound up binging this one, and I'm glad I did. The characters are great and well portrayed, quirky but not so quirky as to be annoying. It still feels like they were aiming for more toned-down/realistic takes on the personalities.... and, if you've worked in a professional industry at one point or another, may of them will be recognisable, which is to say I occasionally wanted to reach into the screen and throttle them.

On a similar note, there were a few places there, especially when dealing with clients/other stakeholders that had me yelling at the screen "who the f*** wrote your contract... or at least look at your contract before caving!" I don't know, maybe that's just how contracts in the industry/Japan work but, either way, even coming from a different industry the situations and events were relateable enough to draw me in.

Also, and I don't know if it was intentional or not, but working Production Desk looked like a heap of fun.

Dare I ask which characters you wanted to throttle? Razz

There are cases where anime studios have done things the original creators of the works they're adapting aren't keen on (see: Rail Wars), so I'm not entirely sure why Musani is so deferential towards the creator of Third Aerial Girls.  Perhaps its because he's the creator of a really hot property, or maybe they want to preserve good relations with the publishing giant who publishes his work.  (I don't know about manga, but for light novels I gather a few companies publish most of the material.)

I suspect they focused on Aoi's Production Assistant/Production Desk work because it gave them a perspective from which they could look into a lot of different parts of the production process.

Despite how ridiculous I find it, my fighter plane otaku side is looking forward to the episode of Third Aerial Girls that PA Works made as a bonus for one of the discs. Razz (They also made an episode of Exodus, though I wasn't hugely impressed by it.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Wed 1 Apr 2015 - 7:14

@Piero wrote:Dare I ask which characters you wanted to throttle?  
You even need to ask? Sometimes the Director, and definitely Nogame's editor... but mostly the blonde haired Production Assistant whose name I can't remember right now.

Actually, I struggled with remembering names (possibly why they referred to people by position a lot), there was just so many of them. The only ones I could reliably recall were Aoi (obviously), Yano (because she was cute as all hell), Honda (because name reference), Nogame, and Diesel-san (because it's probably the best nickname given to anyone in the history of anime ever... it's not stupidly overwrought and came about pretty much exactly the way nicknames tend to).

@Piero wrote:There are cases where anime studios have done things the original creators of the works they're adapting aren't keen on (see: Rail Wars), so I'm not entirely sure why Musani is so deferential towards the creator of Third Aerial Girls.  Perhaps its because he's the creator of a really hot property, or maybe they want to preserve good relations with the publishing giant who publishes his work.  (I don't know about manga, but for light novels I gather a few companies publish most of the material.)
I'd agree on the in-universe reason there. I think it was probably that, but also it just makes their lives more difficult (particularly with putting in the roadblock of the editor), which means additional drama, and also because I get the impression that Musani is very much an idealised organisation. They're the plucky, slightly oddball, underdog, good guys... and so they take the creator's wishes very seriously.

Rail Wars (massively disappointed, I had such high hopes, and it didn't even managed to be enjoyably bad), I get the impression, wound up a bit like the first bit of Nogame's IP turned into an anime... completely off base.

@Piero wrote:I suspect they focused on Aoi's Production Assistant/Production Desk work because it gave them a perspective from which they could look into a lot of different parts of the production process.
I think it was quite a clever decision actually using her and that position as a centrepiece. Not only did you get to see a broad perspective but, by running her through two series in the different positions it allowed them to show the coal-face stuff, and then also the more managerial end of things as well.

And, yes, I'm actually really looking forward to a Third Aerial Girls Squad OVA too.  sweat  Will have to look the Exodus one up, as I've not watched that. I presume that latter is a bit like the Gekiganger OVA that went with Nadesico: a the bits from the parent series stitched together, with some additional animation to make a story from it.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5716

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Wed 1 Apr 2015 - 20:48

Ah, that annoying production assistant was Tarou... supposedly the director based the character on himself when he was younger. Razz

Actually quite a few of the characters in the series are based on real people to varying degrees.  The appearance of the writer and director are based on people in the industry, some of the characters are blatantly based on real people like Ichiro Itano and Hideaki Anno, and some of the voice actresses in the show are practically the real life voice actresses who voice them with a slight name change (the voice actress voicing Akane in Exodus is called Mei Nakahara and is voiced by real life voice actress Mai Nakahara).

As for the Exodus OVA, it's basically meant to be the first episode of that series.  So they actually did do up quite a bit of animation specifically for it.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Fri 3 Apr 2015 - 9:11

I have to ask, does anyone have the faintest idea what was gong on in Gundam Reconguista  ?

I've watched the entire series and have virtually no idea about what the hell was happening !

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sun 5 Apr 2015 - 11:08

SHIROBAKO - A-

Consistently entertaining and educational. I found the second half more interesting than the first.

@Piero wrote:There are cases where anime studios have done things the original creators of the works they're adapting aren't keen on (see: Rail Wars), so I'm not entirely sure why Musani is so deferential towards the creator of Third Aerial Girls.  Perhaps its because he's the creator of a really hot property, or maybe they want to preserve good relations with the publishing giant who publishes his work.
“Alfisti” wrote:I'd agree on the in-universe reason there. I think it was probably that, but also it just makes their lives more difficult (particularly with putting in the roadblock of the editor), which means additional drama, and also because I get the impression that Musani is very much an idealized organization. They're the plucky, slightly oddball, underdog, good guys... and so they take the creator's wishes very seriously.

IMO, it is because Musashino Animation was not a major player in the animation industry and their director, Seiichi Kinoshita, had a less-than stellar track record (thanks to the disaster that was Jiggly Heaven). Considering Third Aerial Girls Squad was a really hot property, choosing Kinoshita and Musashino was probably considered quite risky and I definitely got the feeling Kinoshita and Musashino were banking on a successful anime adaption, combined with the recent success of Exodus!, would put them back in the spotlight as a major animation studio worthy of major projects (which they subsequently landed with Two Piece).

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Mon 6 Apr 2015 - 0:39

My choices were pretty much a loss for me this season.

Your Lie in April was the best of the lot, and it didn't work for me.  It was tragic, it was beautiful, but it didn't feel right.  I didn't feel the pain, the loss, the sadness that the show obviously wanted me to feel.  I finished it and thought, "Good story.  Glad I watched it, but there are so many other characters I want to know more about now that the MC's flaw is resolved."

Aldnoah Zero was decent, but inconclusive.  I liked the 'one last battle' in spite of the Martian's original intent to avoid needless losses.  It was a pretty show, but it didn't move me as much as I hoped it would.

Spoiler:
Also, the Fridge Logic moment of "how the hell do you build a ship around a power source you can't turn on?" nagged me for most of this season.

Log Horizon was a letdown from S1.  It felt very similar to SAO II in that it had no plot long enough to last the whole season, so there were a bunch of smaller plots that, while they used the same characters, didn't feel like they were part of a larger whole.  S1 had the whole build-up to the 'contract of the Gods', but S2 seems merely a setup for S3, which isn't a good way to actually deliver 25 episodes worth of my time.

Blah.

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Forum Posts : 1154

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 21 Apr 2015 - 10:59

Still chewing through the Funimation shows, though I finished Kamisama Kiss 2 (A - even better than the original). Not sure if I will finish The Rolling Girls as it is evidently very inconsistent episode to episode (11 is supposed to be great, but 12 - the finale - is said to be so god-awful that it effectively kills the series). So that probably just leaves Maria the Virgin Witch as that had generally good reviews.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty on Tue 21 Apr 2015 - 11:31

I forgot to mention that I caught up on Yona of the Dawn as well.  It's a good show, but I wouldn't call it great.  It's based on a long-running manga, so it's not as desperate to end the season on a 'renew me!!!' cliff hanger or other sort of fan-pandering ending.

In it, we've see the princess mature from a spoiled brat to an innocent waif to a world-aware adventurer.  She's still not the Mononoke-level warrior shown in the OP, but we can see the trajectory.

It seems that most shows these days that try to do anything serious resort to mood whiplash comedy, where the comedic animated idioms fly out without warning, and usually out-of-context.  This show and Your Lie both fall back to it too frequently, as does Log Horizon.

I think that's why I stuck with Aldnoah.Zero to the end - it does have some comedic moments, but they never out-and-out interrupted the story.  They were part of the story, and came out naturally (more or less - there was still some reliance on contrivance and coincidence) instead of the mood-equivalent of a record-needle scratch.

That said, I can see the need for some comedy in a grim show.  I've been holding off on Psycho Pass II because it is unrelentingly grim and dark.  It's a fantastic show, don't get me wrong.  It just takes some gutting up to watch, and I simply don't have it in me as much.

Alfisti: "Welcome to the SWA... don't worry, your cyborg is probably less confused than you are".
taerKitty

Male

Forum Posts : 1154

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Wed 29 Apr 2015 - 16:54

So I broke down and watched the first episode of Strike Witches Victor arrow, and I have to admit it wasn't bad, for an anime you watch while riding on the stationary bike.  I liked the interplay between the Hartman sisters, Erica in a dress was great, and I got lots of action and big boom ci likes big boom.
crazyidiot78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Sat 23 May 2015 - 17:36

Maria the Virgin Witch - B+

Consistently entertaining with an intriguing story and interesting characters.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum