Inquiry of the SL9SD

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Inquiry of the SL9SD

Post by Jacen Starslayer on Sun 9 Aug 2015 - 21:59

I was curious about everyone's thoughts about the H&K SL9SD sniper rifle for a character.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I am the sword of justice
Forged by fate and tempered with time
I have struggled to stay true to his dreams and ideals
Never knowing defeat
Nor victory
Forever waiting for his return
This is my, Infinite Sword Dance"
Jacen Starslayer

Male

Forum Posts : 525

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve 2, Fate/Stay Night, Ah! My Goddess, etc.

Original Characters : Jay Valentine

Comments : "The man who tries to please everyone, will never be happy with themselves."

Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Inquiry of the SL9SD

Post by Alfisti on Mon 10 Aug 2015 - 4:38

Got a link for the uninitiated? Apparently my Google-fu sucks as all I'm getting is airsoft.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5730

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 10 Aug 2015 - 8:09

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_SL8

http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93:sl9sd&catid=10:the-sniper-rifles&Itemid=5

http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=32293.30

The 7.62x37mm round packs the punch of a .45ACP, but with far better armor protection. I am guessing it's designed for close-in sniping in an urban environment, which would probably make it a weapon employed by the SWA.

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10887

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Mon 10 Aug 2015 - 14:48

Are we thinking of designing a character around a given weapon? There are certainly worse ways to do it. This being an automaticweapon that fires 'quiet' subsonic heavy-hitting rounds, it would be perfectfor a 'borg who likes to take out the trash before anyone knows she's there. So she'd be a support element, like Ricoin her sniper role, or a one-girl army who clears a room and walks quickly away beforeanyone is certain something happened.
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1814

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacen Starslayer on Mon 10 Aug 2015 - 18:01

It's semi-auto only. Only the airsoft version has a full-auto mode...I believe.

Never knowing defeat
Nor victory
Jacen Starslayer

Male

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve 2, Fate/Stay Night, Ah! My Goddess, etc.

Comments : "The man who tries to please everyone, will never be happy with themselves."

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Mon 10 Aug 2015 - 18:15

I doubt there's an Airsoft rifle in the whole SWA compound ... unless it's Sandro's.
Thescarredman

Male

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 on Mon 10 Aug 2015 - 22:33

John_234 is usually a good person to ask regarding kitting out a character. He probably does some of the most weapon research out of all of us, and he can even find you some proper kit to go with the weapon in terms of loading out your character. He helped me revise loadouts for a few of my own characters like Saladin and Johanneke.

Based on the description provided by wikipedia, it seems that you would have to make sure that the SWA armorer would have a source from which to get a non-standard cartridge like the .300 whisper round.

I aim to misbehave.

MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 11 Aug 2015 - 3:47

@Thescarredman wrote:I doubt there's an Airsoft rifle in the whole SWA compound ... unless it's Sandro's.
There's a shooting blanks joke here that I'm not going to make.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacen Starslayer on Tue 11 Aug 2015 - 14:42

Thanks everyone.

Never knowing defeat
Nor victory
Jacen Starslayer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Tue 11 Aug 2015 - 22:23

Well, are you going for cool only or some modicum of practicality? Also depends on time period I guess.

SL9 is essentially a G36 with more stuff on it. Just recently the Germans discovered the G36 really can't shoot for beans, at least a large number of them and have been making moves to a new rifle. So from a functional standpoint, it's a bulkier version of a rifle that isn't very good. (Nobody would know this if your story was before 2014 lol)

Cartridge wise the 7.62x37 is a lot like .300 Whisper, Blackout or the 9x39 the Russians use. Big subsonic bullet designed for suppressor use. What that really offers over a .45 SMG I'm not sure (maybe longer bullets?) That sorta round is mostly good within shorter ranges, not "sniping" in the sense most people think of making one-shot kills at long range. It's more for kicking doors in with a weapon that has a suppressor.

So, overall probably not a very good choice, and too distinctive to be deniable, both cartridge and weapon, but again your call whether that matters or not in your story. In reality assassinations would use a bevy of different guns and other weapons.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of : N/A

Original Characters : N/A

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Wed 12 Aug 2015 - 4:19

@John_234 wrote:So, overall probably not a very good choice, and too distinctive to be deniable, both cartridge and weapon, but again your call whether that matters or not in your story. In reality assassinations would use a bevy of different guns and other weapons.
There's some truth in that last part, the line that always comes to mind for me is De Niro's in Ronin: "You know, it's a toolbox: you put the tools in for the job."

That said, as an author, assigning a specific weapon to a character does make it easier to characterise: it's a different sort of personality that is going to use a D'Eagle to one which would pick a suppressed .22. Each tool, weapon, look, etc. you choose for a character makes some sort of statement (large or small, depending on the audience), even if that statement is "this character doesn't care about this thing". I've had a couple of SWA characters who got assigned a Beretta 92FS, simply because that's the standard issue in my version of the SWA, and I had decided those characters were not the sort overly concerned about what they were using. On the flip side: is this a character a technical person who prides themselves on having the best gear? Or do they have some other reason for choosing the rifle? And so on.

As to the need for a less distinctive, more deniable, weapon, I think context probably has a bit of a role to play in that. For an underworld assassin, or someone working outside their own borders, something used once then thrown away is definitely going to be the better alternative (though, notably, not always the case, even in reality). For a state sponsored (albeit clandestinely sponsored) operative, working inside their own borders, there's an argument could be made that it's less of a concern. If you can count on any police investigation into your actions being quietly quashed, then you probably also don't need to be so worried about using a distinctive firearm and round. Whether counting on that is agood ideais open to debate, though I suspect quite a lot of the canon SWA works on exactly that belief (see Henrietta hosing a room down with 5.7mm).

As an aside, John raises another good point regards the probable use of the weapon: is it actually being used for "sniping" in a military sense? Or more in a police type role, ie. (at least to my understanding), generally across shorter ranges?

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 on Wed 12 Aug 2015 - 16:48

The SL8 from a characterization perspective would probably would imply some sort of frivolous character, if that's what you're looking for. A G36 with similar performance and more plastic, no real practical advantage for the most part.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of : N/A

Original Characters : N/A

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Wed 12 Aug 2015 - 17:45

Maybe it should have pearl handles then...
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum